Charities and not-for-profit in West Midlands
Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP is particularly well-known for its work for faith-charities, national charity clients and charity funding work. It is also enjoying a growing reputation for its work with charities in the health and social care sector. Under the leadership of practice head Dominic Curran, it continues to have an excellent reputation for its work with a broad range of organisations on the regeneration of local communities, and also in the area of social enterprise development. It is increasing its profile with charities that are focused on children and young adults. Also notable is that it is strong in the social housing sector, where it acts for a diverse range of charitable housing providers. Shivaji Shiva joined VWV .
Other key lawyers:
Phil Watts; Edwina Turner; Natalie Barbosa
‘All the people I work with are amazingly responsive, and provide exactly what I want when I want it‘.
‘All of the staff at Anthony Collins must be given credit for their efficiency and helpfulness at all levels‘.
‘The team displays considerable sector experience and expertise, with enough breadth to the team so that it isn’t dependent on just one person‘.
‘Dominic Curran is driven but very approachable. He has a desire to help the faith-based charity sector to improve communities‘.
‘Edwina Turner has a broad range of experience, is pragmatic and superb‘.
‘Natalie Barbosa’s advice is always well thought through, compelling and reliable‘.
‘Phil Watts always provides solid and comprehensive advice and guidance‘.
‘Phil Watts and Edwina Turner have considerable practical experience but also the ‘human touch’ so that clients are not just ‘projects’ but people/situations that need help‘.
Riding for the Disabled Association Incorporating Carriage Driving
The Salvation Army Trustee Company
Baptist Union of Great Britain
Methodist Church and Methodist Church Council
- Advised Riding for the Disabled Association Incorporating Carriage Driving on construction work for the client’s new head office.
- Acted for The Salvation Army Trustee Company, which was engaging contractors for demolition works, design and build works and design and fit out works for a visitor centre at Strawberry Field, Liverpool. The work included drafting bespoke amendments to various construction contracts and drafting the appointment for the consultant.
- Assisted the British Library with its procurement of a “hard Facilities Management contract”.
- Advising Scope on various issues that affect substantial national charities.
- Advising Banardo’s on various matters.
Mills & Reeve LLP has longstanding relationships with some of the UK’s biggest charities. It is noted for its particular experience of working with health, education and research charities. It also has considerable strength in sport-based charities. Principal associate Adam Williams, who leads the Birmingham charities practice, has experience across all areas of charity law, governance and philanthropy. Another principal associate Lucy Howard, who recently relocated to the Birmingham office, manages contested legacy cases.
Neil Burton (Cambridge)
VWV has a large practice, which is well-equipped to advise charity clients on all aspects of their operations, such as governance, procurement, regulatory compliance, investment, tax and fundraising. The team was strengthened by the hire of Shivaji Shiva from Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP. Shiva has a wealth of experience on the corporate and commercial aspects of the charity sector. Recently promoted partner Frances Anderson is highly rated for her work with arts, charities and universities, in particular.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very knowledgeable on a wide range of topics‘.
‘All individuals who we have dealt with over the past 12 months have been supportive, approachable and respond in a timely manner‘.
‘Shivaji Shiva is immensely experienced‘.
‘Shivaji Shiva is truly a specialist, he is very considered and professional and very knowledgeable‘.
Birmingham Repertory Theatre
Birmingham Royal Ballet
Blue Coat School Birmingham
Cheltenham Ladies College
Creative Education Trust
King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham
London Metropolitan University
London South Bank University
Loughborough Endowed Schools
National Star College
Queen Alexandra College
Royal Academy of Music
The Schools of King Edward VI Foundation
United Reformed Church Synods
University of Bath
University of Exeter
University of Law
Windsor Academy Trust
- Advised the board of trustees of a charity on the termination of the employment of its chief executive on the grounds of a breakdown in the relationship of trust and confidence.
- Providing employment law advice on the sale of a charitable independent school to an educational consortium.
- Advising a premium independent school on its licensing arrangements with an overseas investor to establish a number of international branded schools in China.
- Providing continued advice to a national library institution with regard to its digitisation strategy and third party collaborations.
- Advising an arts charity on a complex subject access request made by a senior employee of the charity in the context of an employment tribunal claim.
Lodders Solicitors LLP
Clients of Lodders Solicitors LLP include high profile regional charities, discreet charitable trusts, breed societies and ancient foundations. In addition to advising on general charity law matters, the department is known for its work on governance and constitutional matters, as well as complex restructures and reorganisations. Team head Mark Lewis has expertise in ecclesiastical, agricultural, equine and engineering charities, as well as membership bodies.
British Chiropractic Association
National Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs
The Grand National Archery Society
Heart of England Community Foundation
Henley-in-Arden Guild Hall Trust
Institute for Public Policy Research
The Johnson or Secular Clergy Association of The Archdiocese of Birmingham
Campden Home Nursing CIO
The Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers
- Provided advice to the British Chiropractic Association on the redrafting of its constitution to include detailed consideration of governance issues and restructuring of the organisation.
- Advising the National Federation of Young Farmers’ Clubs on the incorporation of this long-established charity as a charitable company limited by guarantee and on restructuring internal organisation.
- Providing support to The Grand National Archery Society on governance and related issues, including further revisions to its constitution to ensure that it continues to operate in accordance with best practice and as required by UK Sport.
- Assisting Heart of England Community Foundation with ongoing matters, including considerable expansion of the work of the charity into the West Midlands and the Black Country, as well as receipt of restricted funds from other charities.
- Ongoing retainer with Henley-in-Arden Guild Hall Trust.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP advises grant-making charities and Government-funded charities on a wide range of matters, such as charity registration, administration and governance issues. The department also has particular expertise in advising animal charities especially on legacy disputes. In addition, it has developed a specialism in acting for faith-based charities and education sector clients. Team head Lesley Davis has a diverse client base, which includes multinational companies (often seeking advice on establishing foundations) and families wanting to support those in need.
‘Lesley Davis has an outstanding client manner and is quick to understand the heart of the issue. Her advice is clear, concise, complete and commercial‘.
Institute of Association Management
Education for Health
The Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
Churches Housing Association of Dudley & District
The ExtraCare Charitable Trust
Coventry Golf Club
Walsall Housing Group
British Pest Control Association
Bishops Grosseteste University
St Martin’s Trust
- Assisting The Institute of Association Management with designing a half-day training programme, which covers a range of key governance topics relevant for association organisations that have a broad range of charitable and non-charitable legal structures.
- Advised npower Foundation on a short term commercial participator agreement with the Charitable Foundation to cover the launch and initial 3-6 months of operation of the charity.
- Assisting Midland Heart with its Fully Mutual Housing Association strategy.
- Acting for a Midlands-based university on the redevelopment of its estate, which is critical to its future plans.
- Assisting a client with a multi-party project to provide supported living for adults with learning disabilities in the community.
Thursfields Solicitors provides the full range of legal services to national, regional and local churches, other faith organisations, hospices and almshouses. Other clients include local political and non-political clubs, sports clubs and charities which focus on issues such as special educational needs and rape victim support. The team's recent work has included advising on matters such as GDPR, Charity Commission investigations and internal charity disputes. Senior associate Jenny Smith heads up the department.
‘Always thorough, professional and accurate in the work they carry out‘.
‘Very experienced in charity and trusts; punching above its weight for a small firm compared to other charity teams in the sector‘.
‘Professional, friendly and always willing to help‘.
‘Jenny Smith is very knowledgeable technically and is also very good with clients. She shows a genuine interest in her clients and compassion‘.
‘Jenny Smith is extremely competent and her calm temperament puts clients at ease and gives them confidence in her ability and understanding of complex trust and charity law matters‘.
Birmingham Botanical Gardens
Mary Stevens Hospice
Steps to work (Walsall)
- Providing charity governance and commercial advice to Birmingham Botanical Gardens.
- Providing general governance and employment advice to Ashleigh House.
- Advising on the incorporation of a community amateur sports club.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP regularly advises charities and not-for-profit clients on diverse matters such as constitutional, commercial, regulatory and contractual issues. It is also sought out on the creation of charitable trusts and legacy disputes. Keith Ainsworth has a particular focus on corporate and governance issues, group structures, charity law, regulation and governance, charity finance and on dealings with the Charity Commission. Ainsworth also has significant experience of safeguarding matters. Monica Macheng joined Bevan Brittan LLP.
Warwick Independent Schools Foundation
The National Association of Charity Shops
The University of Warwick
The Romero Catholic Academy
- Advised Old Leamingtonians Rugby Football Club on an extensive suite of contract documentation in relation to a new training facility.
- Advising a care provider on the construction of a new £7.5m care home that is being built to incorporate new technology and innovative ways of supporting dependent residents.
Band Hatton Button LLP
Led by practice head Haydn Jones, Band Hatton Button LLP's team advises a broad mix of charities, including those in the education/training, arts and culture, and religious sectors. Its work covers constitutional, governance and compliance advice, as well as the formation and incorporation of charities, among other areas. The group can draw on the firm’s cross-practice expertise to advise on employment, property or other contentious matters.
Ambulance Services Charity
City College Coventry
Coventry & Warwickshire YMCA
Coventry Rugby Community Foundation
Midland Group Training Services
Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple
Nicholas Chamberlaine’s School Foundation
- Advising a charity on a land swap with a developer in return for the construction of a new club to an agreed specification.
- Advising a charity on the revision of its charitable scheme.
- Advising a charity on an option agreement for the development of agricultural land.
Browne Jacobson LLP, which advises on the full spectrum of charity matters, is increasingly sought out to advise governance issues, as well as on the establishment of family and corporate foundations. Team head Catherine Rustomji acts for charities, not-for-profit organisations, social enterprises, charity trustees and individuals. Her expertise includes the duties and responsibilities of charity trustees.
‘A very helpful and receptive team‘.
John Taylor Hospice Charity
Age UK Birmingham
Age UK Staffordshire
The James Charities
Berrow Cottage Homes
National Association of Round Tables of GB & Ireland
Baron Davenport’s Charity
Thomas Corbett’s Charity
Heart of England Baptist Association
Retired Baptist Ministers Housing Society
- Provided charity advice and social enterprise advice to John Taylor Hospice, as well as advising on the legal structures and the interrelationship between the two different types of organisations.
- Recent advice to Baron Davenport’s Charity has related to the status of permanent endowment investments and on the options that are available to the trustees
- Advising The James Charities on legal structures, governance and on appointing a corporate trustee.
- Advised Age UK Staffordshire on the merger of this charity with two others.
- Recent advice to Berrow Cottage Homes includes advising on property and banking matters.
At Higgs & Sons, philanthropy continues to be a large part of the work undertaken by the team, particularly in the context of advising private and corporate clients on how to best to structure their charitable giving. Kirsty McEwen leads the team, whose expertise includes the use of private charitable foundations, corporate foundations and legacy giving. The group also acts for many established charitable and not-for-profit organisations, such as specialist faith organisations and non-denominational religious organisations, educational charities, sports bodies, and arts and heritage charities.
Other key lawyers:
‘We are very pleased with the first-class service we have always received from Kirsty McEwen, Claire Hamlin and all the team at Higgs & Sons. They are not only very professional but also friendly and approachable‘.
‘Kirsty McEwen and Claire Hamlin are particularly supportive‘.
The Mary Stevens Hospice
See Beyond Borders
British Glass Foundation
Fisher Frederick Pearson Charity
John Amphlett’s School Charity
Dudley Canal Trust
Margaret Westwood Memorial Charity
Alan Robert Laken Charitable Trust
Anthony and Gwendoline Wylde Memorial Charity
Rachel Baker Memorial Charity
Claude Ballard Southall Memorial Charity
Ken Wrigley Memorial Trust
Hilda Farr Charitable Trust
Michael Gardner Trust
The Joan Braithwaite Sailing Trust
Wollaston Free Church
Ian Addison Charitable Foundation
Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust
- Since 2017, the team has been advising on the complex reorganisation of Mary Stevens Hospice’s trading activities, in particular its retail units.
- The team is assisting British Glass Foundation with the complex project work involved in the transfer of the undertaking of the museum service at Broadfield Glass Museum to the client.
- The team advised Fisher Frederick Pearson Charity on bringing its governing documents up to date with the Charities Act 2011, and on governance best practice and prepared the documents that were required to formalise the change, including minutes and resolutions.
- Instructed by John Amphlett’s School Charity to advise on the complexities of incorporating the unincorporated Trust to a CIO (Charitable Incorporated Organisation) structure.
- Providing ongoing strategic advice to Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust Limited on constitutional, governance and regulatory matters in respect of the merger of two existing charitable organisations.
Pinsent Masons LLP is well-known for providing specialist charity law advice to universities, as well as assisting commercial clients with the establishment of corporate foundations. It also acts for major insurance companies on their entering into ‘affinity’ arrangements with charities, and also generates work from local government charities. Legal director Chris Thomas is the name to note.
London School of Economics
University of Sheffield
University of Leeds
Sheffield Hallam University
University of Surrey
University of Edinburgh
University of Huddersfield
University of New South Wales
University College London
Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Advice to a university and exempt charity on restructuring of relationship with subsidiary company which operated a university sports park.
- Advice to a university and exempt charity on difficult and sensitive charity law issues arising from terms of a gift and request by donor for its return.
- Advice to a university client on the establishment of a new vehicle to operate and expand its law clinic.
- Advice to a university and exempt charity on the governance and charity law issues arising from proposed monetisation of royalties.