'Well-attuned to the needs of the client', which includes a range of private, public and third sector clients, the 'responsive' three-partner team at Blake Morgan LLP provides a 'trusted and expert' service across a wide array of contentious and non-contentious matters. As well as her niche expertise within the care sector, 'solutions-driven and client-friendly' team head Joanne Davies regularly works alongside the corporate team providing 'practical and proportionate solutions' to companies engaged in large-scale reorganisations and M&A transactions - work which regularly includes TUPE advice. The 'thoughtful and dedicated' Matthew Smith ' ensures a commercial and pragmatic approach' is applied to both public and private sector clients (including those within the retail sector) across a myriad of contentious employment matters. The team is rounded out at a partner level by Paula Kathrens who is recognised as 'a force to be reckoned with' advising on doctors disciplinary cases, in addition to a myriad employment issues facing entities in regulated sectors including finance, social housing and health.
Employment in Wales
Blake Morgan LLP
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is well-attuned to the needs of the client and adapts their approach accordingly.’
‘The employment team provide a trusted, expert and highly responsive service. They feel like an extension of my own HR team.’
‘With so many highly skilled and knowledgeable solicitors within the team, access to knowledge sharing, peer review and thorough supervision is readily available to those less experienced who are developing their practice.’
‘Matthew Smith is one of a kind – he is thoughtful, dedicated and an extension of our team – we would be lost without him and I would never consider taking my business anywhere else.’
‘Matthew Smith ensures a commercial and pragmatic approach which meets the business need of the client.’
‘Joanne Davies is efficient, solutions driven and client friendly.‘
‘Joanne Davies holds a well deserved reputation for combining her straight-forward, down-to-earth perspective with some of the most technical areas of employment law such as TUPE. She devises practical and proportionate solutions for clients and shows an innovative flare.’
‘Paula Kathrens is a force to be reckoned with. She is well known for her niche specialism of doctors’ disciplinary cases, but boasts an equally strong handle on the full spectrum of employment issues facing employers, particularly those in regulated sectors such as finance, social housing and health.’
PHS Group Plc
The NHS in Wales
University of South Wales
Gower College, Swansea
Principality Building Society
Russell & Bromley Limited
Trivallis Limited (formerly RCT Homes Limited)
Dolce & Gabbana UK Limited
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Charbonnel et Walker Limited
Wales Audit Office
One Stop Recycling Limited
- Continuing to advise numerous social housing clients on matters relating to the Financial Conduct Authority’s Senior Management and Certification Regime.
- Provided employment law advice to Escatec Sweden pursuant to the acquisition of electronics manufacturer, JSS Manufacturing (via its holding company Alcaeus Holdings Limited).
- Representing the Health Board in the case of Agarwal v (1) Cardiff University (2) Cardiff & Vale University Local Health Board. This case is one of the leading authorities about an Employment Tribunal’s jurisdiction to hear cases involving deductions from an employee’s wages, where there is a dispute about the contractual terms on which the employer considers it is entitled to make such deductions.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
The 'superb' four-partner team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is particularly well regarded for its aptitude at advising large private sector corporate clients (including within the financial services, life sciences and retail sectors) across a broad range of ongoing employment/HR issues, as well as in the context of employment-related corporate support work. Team head Anthony Rees has a strong reputation advising on international restructurings and mandates with potentionally reputation damaging ramifications, where he is effective at providing advice which is mindful of risk management issues. Rees is also well regarded for his contentious expertise and regularly handles the advocacy himself in relation to employment tribunal matters. Much of Thomas Player 's work has an international flavour, including advice on cross-border restructurings, as well as as in the context of collective employment law, work which regularly sees him acting in an advisory capacity for many companies operating European Works Councils. Tom Bray regularly provides the employment law advice pursuant to international commercial and corporate transactions and is also noted for his work within the aviation sector, where he has been particularly active of late advising core client Heathrow Airport on a myriad employment issues exacerbated by the pandemic.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Player ; Huw Jones; Tom Bray ; Emma Allchurch ; Sally Isaacs
‘The team is superb.’
Heathrow Airport Limited
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
Sony Europe BV
Gresham House PLC
International Medical Group Plc
Government Legal Department
British Business Bank
Dwr Cymru Welsh Water
Benefiting from vast employment law understanding, from a contentious and non-contentious perspective, and imbued with an excellent understanding of its clients’ needs/business objectives, Lewis Silkin is well-placed to provide ‘commercially focused’ advice to private sector employers, both on its own as well as in unison with other practitioners spread across the firm’s UK-wide network of offices. Team head Lucy Lewis leads the firm’s IR35 task force and has also provided invaluable, on the spot advice to clients on novel issues brought about during the Covid-19 pandemic, including ‘very useful’ guidance on furlough. Drawing upon an ‘encyclopaedic knowledge of the law’, Richard Moore provides ‘very practical and pragmatic’ advice to UK-based and multinational companies, as well as a growing number of local businesses, across a wide array of employment matters, including on workforce restructuring, senior executive exits and on the employment law issues pursuant to corporate transactions and commercial outsourcing arrangements. At senior associate level, Charlotte Morgan, who provides ‘commercially-focused‘ advice to clients facing Tribunal litigation, as well as on TUPE matters, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Lewis Silkin in Cardiff take client access to new levels with all levels of the team being available to clients. It is clear from working with them that they truly understand the client’s needs, business and outcome desires.’
‘In terms of innovation, Lewis Silkin are particularly good with updates and know how – their furlough advice, which was updated almost instantly, was very useful.’
‘The team provides first-class advice that is commercially focused and aligned to our requirements, our industry and company needs.’
‘Lucy Lewis feels like an extension of our team. Her advice never needs amending or tweaking.’
‘Richard Moore has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and his clients’ businesses and has cascaded his approach to client care to the entire team.’
‘Richard Moore brought a very practical and pragmatic approach to the challenges faced on our project. He was highly responsive to email requests and the need to talk through some of the more challenging aspects of the project.’
‘Charlotte Morgan is commercially focused and provides class advice and support. She has great attention to detail and is able to work to strict deadlines even when they are very tight.’
‘Neil Dite is proactive and business focussed.’
Daily Mail & General Trust Plc
World Duty Free
- Advising a listed manufacturer on the implementation of hybrid/ home working as a new permanent working model across all their UK roles including strategic advice on handling union and collective issues.
- Advising a high street retailer on a commercially sensitive claim for unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and numerous disability discrimination allegations.
- Advising a household name media company on all employment aspects of three linked corporate transactions involving the disposal of a number of non-core businesses and subsidiaries.
Under the guidance of ‘exceptional leader‘ Claire Knowles, Acuity Law continues to gain market share for private sector clients from a range of industry sectors, including retail, many of which continue to utilise the firm’s popular retainer service – Acuity Counsel. The ‘brilliant‘ Knowles provides ‘practical and sound advice‘ that is rooted in the commercial realities of the underlying business of the client, whether it be in a contentious setting or in a corporate support role. The team has also continued to grow, with well-known employment lawyer Juliette Franklin being the latest addition, following her arrival from Slater and Gordon in February 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Juliette Franklin ; Yannick Ramsamy ; Adam McGlynn ; Rubel Bashir
‘The team is very knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘It provides a very high quality and personable service.’
‘With Acuity Law they always help me do the right thing and always help me minimise the risk to the company. Over the past 12 months we have achieved significant change for the business with no negative repercussions.’
‘The team has the mix of professional expertise, reliability, availability and outcome that means I go back to them repeatedly. They are completely service minded which makes being a client an armchair of an experience, but at no loss to the clarity or the honesty of their advice.’
‘The exceptional Claire Knowles has that magical combination of a law library in her head, availability that suggests she has more hours in the day than other people, and a success rate to be envied.’
‘Claire Knowles is very professional, swift to respond and provides practical and sound advice.’
‘Adam McGlynn provides an excellent and responsive service. He is very knowledgeable and will respond quickly. His advice is trusted and very commercially oriented.’
‘Rubel Bashir is entirely professional, honest and pragmatic. He achieves excellent outcomes for ordinary working people, sometimes against the odds.’
Bright Network (UK) Limited
Sinclair Garages Ltd
Bluestone National Park Resort
Monmouthshire County Council
Portman Healthcare Ltd
The Trade Centre Group
Peter’s Food Service Limited
- Advised an international healthcare provider on its employment structure including self-employed contractor clinicians and IR35 risks. Drafting contractual terms and trained the operational part of the business on best practice to avoid employment status risks.
- Advised a local authority on a complex, multiple claim employment tribunal dispute, involving allegations of unfair dismissal, whistleblowing detriment and sex discrimination against 11 named individuals.
- Supporting the senior management team of Vista Retail Limited in a dual employment legal counsel and HR business partnering function, work which has included various inward and outward TUPEs.
Capital Law Limited
Drawing upon the expertise of 'empathetic and accessible' individuals within the five-partner team, Capital Law Limited provides 'timely and pragmatic advice' to a myriad private sector (including a growing number of technology and pharmaceutical clients) and public sector entities. David Lewis is 'incredibly knowledgeable about all employment law matters', including as it relates to discrimination and whistleblower litigation for employers - an area that he regularly undertakes the advocacy himself before the tribunal. Sarah Austin has significant non-contentious experience, including as it pertains to collective consultation advice pursuant to redundancy procedures and corporate support work, including in relation to private equity-backed M&A. As well as his discrete fee-earning advice, which includes trade union and labour relations expertise, team head Richard Thomas is popular among clients and non-clients alike for his training across a range of hot-button employment and data protection issues, including in the context of Brexit.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Austin ; David Lewis; Mary Goldsbrough ; David Sheppard ; Alex Christen ; Alison Flett ; Claire Tait ; Jonathan Walsh
‘Always ready to provide legally and commercially sound advice even at very short notice.’
‘Very friendly and capable of speaking in layman’s terms. The team has an excellent understanding of our business and provide timely and pragmatic advice.’
‘The individuals within the team are very empathetic and accesible, always giving their best and managing all the situations very professionally and, at the same time, very closely to their clients.’
‘They are an incredible and amazing team. They always help us with all the legal matters we have in a very efficient and exceptional way, giving fast and complete replies to our queries.’
‘David Lewis is incredibly knowledgeable about all employment law matters but in particular, he has a real talent for being able to envisage the challenges that our in-house HR department face in respect of some of the culture issues that exist within the organisation.’
‘Alex Christen and David Sheppard are both extremely knowledgeable, personable and quick to respond to queries. They provide sensible advice and options within a short time frame, are happy to debate an issue and go over and above to ensure we have full legal support.’
‘Alex Christen – comprehensive and easy to follow advice, goes the extra mile by thinking of other alternatives that we may not have been aware of or thought of.’
British Medical Association
SEGA Europe Ltd
University of South Wales
The Royal Mint
Verisure Services (UK) Ltd
Intellectual Property Office
WestBridge Capital LLP
Newport City Homes
The Hendre Group
Cardiff City Football Club
Eden Grove Properties Limited
Cartrefi Conwy Housing Association
Tindle Newspapers Limited
Marshmallow Financial Services
Natural Resources Wales
Infineon Technologies (UK) Limited
- Supporting Howard Tenens in a dual employment legal Counsel and HR business partnering function and advising on operational aspects of TUPE transfers.
- Supporting Verisure Services (UK) Limited on a full range of complex contentious and non-contentious employment law and HR issues and Employment Tribunal litigation.
- Advising Marshmallow Financial Services Limited on operational HR and employment law issues and working with them to steer their HR strategy.
Now headed by the 'highly knowledgeable' Lowri Phillips following the recent retirement of Kim Howells, Geldards LLP provides 'responsive, pragmatic and solutions-oriented' advice to private, public and third sector clients across a myriad contentious and non-contentious employment matters. 'Combining pragmatism and precision', Phillips is 'able to advise across a range of topics and provide insight into current thinking', including to a growing number of financial services clients which she advises on issues including the Senior Manager Regime. Recognised as a 'master tactician', Joga Singh is also well regarded by private sector clients, including in the context of tribunal work, and a growing amount of instructions relating to business immigration matters. The 'exceptional' Helen Snow was recently made up to partner in January 2022 alongside Singh, a reflection of her expertise at handling complex public sector-related employment matters, including a niche specialism advising on agricultural worker employment issues in Wales.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is brilliant with its advice! They are always pragmatic and understand the business challenges and the legal compliance issues.’
‘Excellent legal knowledge combined with commercial outlook and understanding of the wider picture re issues that we have raised.’
‘The employment team is a collection of legal minds of the highest calibre that work in synergy to provide a Rolls Royce service to the client.’
‘All of the team are not only well versed in the law but have a strong client focus and business acumen, which has enabled them to provide full support to our senior leaders and HR team.’
‘Lowri Phillips is highly knowledgeable and able to advise across a range of topics and provide insight into current thinking.’
‘Combining pragmatism and precision, Lowri Phillips takes the time to understand the context and the client, probing and questioning to make sure that the advice she gives and the solution she suggests are appropriate and workable.‘
‘Joga Singh is approachable, friendly and always takes his time to explain everything in layman’s terms. He is respectful and committed to helping with any employment law queries or issues we send his way.’
‘A master tactician, Joga Singh has an unrivalled ability to inspire confidence in clients; he remains clam and unruffled even when navigating a case through stormy waters.’
Fiera Capital Corporation
Fiera Capital UK
Archimedes Partners Ltd
Sofa Brands International
Target Group Limited
A F Blakemore & Son Limited
Hexion UK Limited
Ludlow Street Healthcare Group
Celsa Manufacturing UK Limited
The Senedd Commission
The Senedd Commission (Member Support)
Wales Millennium Centre
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Derbyshire County Council
Derby City Council
Carlisle City Council
Staffordshire County Council
The Agricultural Advisory Panel for Wales
The National Museum of Wales
The Arts Council of Wales
Colleges Wales/Collegau Cymru
United Welsh Housing Association
Wales Air Ambulance
Hybu Cig Cymru
- Advised Fiera Capital Corporation on the employment law matters associated with the engagement of a Global Equities team.
- Advised the Agricultural Advisory Panel for Wales on matters relating to agricultural workers terms and conditions and the drafting of the Agricultural Wages Order 2021.
- Advised the Vale of Glamorgan Council on issues relating to the restructure of its senior leadership team.
Led by the 'extremely knowledgeable' Louise Price , Hugh James's nine-strong team provides 'incredibly high calibre' advice to a varied mix of public and private sector clients across the panoply of employment matters, including on day-to-day advisory matters, corporate support and litigation. The social housing sector continues to spawn a variety of employment law instructions for the team and both Price and Rhiannon Dale are pivotal to this work. Dale, who was promoted to partner in May 2021, is also well-versed at handling large-scale restructuring and redundancy exercises, as well as being the key point of contact for Celtic Manor on its day-to-day employment law issues.
Other key lawyers:
Rhiannon Dale; Eleanor Bamber; Christine Bradbury; Kate Walsh; Sali Owens; Emily Thomas
‘The knowledge of the team and their attention to detail is very good and their client care is excellent in keeping us informed and delivering advice and documentation within the timescales promised.’
‘The professional team provides an incredibly high calibre of advice.’
‘I value their pragmatic approach, which is realistic in our world, rather than being completely risk averse.’
‘Louise Price is extremely knowledgeable and always provides prompt responses which are clear and not full of legal jargon.’
‘Christine Bradbury’s depth of knowledge, attention to detail and accessibility were very important in supporting us through what could otherwise have been a very difficult matter.’
‘We have been impressed with the service and credibility of advice provided by Rhiannon Dale and Eleanor Bamber, and also their understanding and empathy.’
Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council
Natural Resources Wales
PF Concept International B. V
City and County of Swansea
Coastal Housing Group
CSA Catapult Limited
The London Mint
Social Care Wales
The Celtic Manor Resort Limited
Transport for Wales Rail Limited
Welsh National Opera
The Walters Group
- Providing employment law advice, including on whether or not TUPE was applicable, to Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council on the acquisition of St Tydfils Shopping Centre.
- Sole providers of employment law advice to Celtic Manor Resort – the world renowned 5* luxury resort and related companies. Work has included urgent, practical, commercial support to steer the client through a very difficult period, as it responds to the ever-changing challenges presented to the hospitality sector in Wales as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Successfully defended City and County of Swansea in two separate highly complex claims (one which was in the Employment Tribunal and another which was currently in the Employment Appeal Tribunal).
Led by the 'proactive and easy to deal with' Sarah Alford, the 'very approachable' team at Berry Smith provides 'practical and calming solutions ' to an eclectic mix of private, public and third sector clients, primarily on non-contentious matters. The scope of this work is broad, running the gamut from day-to-day HR advisory work, corporate support and also including a growing volume of work for senior executives on the negotiation of their severance packages.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very approachable team which responds to requests quickly and in a practical manner.’
‘Respectful and patient, the team provides very practical and calming solutions to enquiries.’
‘A very engaging team which takes an interest in the business and looks to provide proactive solutions.’
South Wales Fire & Rescue Service
EKF Diagnostics Holdings PLC
Yourgene Health PLC
Welsh Government – National Procurement Service
BBI Group Holdings Limited
Arcis Biotechnology Limited
Active Quote Limited
Spectrum Technologies PLC
CP Hire (GB) Limited
Elite Supported Employment Agency
CDSM Interactive Solutions Limited
One Vision Digital Limited
- Advising the management team of the BBI Group on the employment elements of the £36m sale of the South Wales-based BBI Healthcare to Venture Life Group.
- Advised the sellers on the employment elements on their sale of Bridgend-based Customised Sheet Metal Limited to the management team.
Darwin Gray LLP
Appreciated by a mix of employers and employees for its 'relaxed, informal yet slick offering', Darwin Gray LLP provides 'commercial and no nonsense' advice across a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters. 'Empathetic, hardworking and considerate' team head Fflur Jones embodies the varied strengths of the team, with corporate support and advisory mandates sitting alongside a strong litigation offering, which includes employee representations (including niche expertise representing teachers). Jones is also a fluent Welsh speaker and consequently has an advantage over some of the other firms, particularly on behalf of third and public sector clients, where Welsh language speaking requirements can be an advantage. The 'outstanding' Owen John can also litigate and advise through the medium of Welsh, and is appreciated by both employers and employees for his ability to 'explain everything without resorting to complex legal jargon'. The 'extremely personable' Damian Philips has 'amazing soft skills' which he deploys to good effect for a range of corporates and individuals, including a niche advising professional rugby players.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have found members of the employment team to be very approachable and very easy to deal with which has not always been my experience of some other firms. They have been excellent at explaining employment law practice in an easy to understand way both to myself and colleagues.’
‘It is a great team of lawyers dealing with complex high-profile litigation.’
‘They provide a commercially tailored solution that simply fits our needs and the way that we work.’
Aberystwyth University UCU
Adra Housing Association
Bro Myrddin Housing Association
Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol (the National College of Wales)
Cotswold Raw Limited
Fair Trade Wales
Esportif International (UK) Limited
Farmers’ Union of Wales
Menter a Busnes
National Library of Wales
North Wales Housing Association
Rauch Furniture UK GmbH
Rybrook Motor Group
Stepping Stones Care Services
Swansea University UCU
UCAC (Undeb Cenedlaethol Athrawon Cymru/National Union of Teachers
Wales Co-Operative Centre
Welsh Language Commissioner
Y Ganolfan Dysgu Cymraeg Cenedlaethol (the National Centre for Learning
Welsh Government (National Procurement Framework)
- Acted for the claimant, Steven Jones, in a successful disability discrimination claim against British Airways which gained national media attention.
- Advised the National Library of Wales in respect of significant changes to its redundancy policies and procedure and proposed changes to its pension scheme.
- Acted for Rybrook Motoring Group, one of the UK’s largest automotive groups, on several complex cases, including in respect of a spurious whistleblowing allegation that nevertheless required delicate handling and a constructive unfair dismissal claim.
Slater and Gordon
Slater and Gordon‘s employee-side practice is particuarly noted for its work for union members as respondents in litigation brought against their employers, including in relation to visible and hidden disibility discrimination actions. Although this side of the practice was weakened at senior level by the departure of Juliette Franklin to Acuity Law, it does have at its disposal a number of well trained associates who are able to effectively take up the baton in her absence, including senior associate Sian Clarke, who can ‘handle difficult cases, difficult clients and difficult opponents with ease and confidence’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is involved in complex litigation, often with multiple claimants in one claim on an industrial level.’
‘Sian Clarke can handle difficult cases, difficult clients and difficult opponents with ease and confidence.’
- Represented a trade union member against a union client and against a law firm who were instructed to advise them on their settlement agreement.
- Represented a claimant at an employment tribunal and were successful in claims for Unfair Dismissal, Victimisation and Sexual Harassment.
- Represented an employee of an automotive company and succeeded in his claim for a failure by the company in their duty to make reasonable adjustments, discrimination arising from disability, indirect disability discrimination and unfair dismissal.
At Douglas-Jones Mercer, 'proactive and responsive' team head Paul Shuttleworth has a strong reputation in South Wales for local and national companies (including those with international offices) across a range of standalone projects and ongoing HR matters. Shuttleworth also has niche expertise advising sports professionals and coaches on contractual issues and contentious matters.
‘I believe that the responsiveness and knowledge of the employment law specialists are unequivocally the reasons why we continue to work with Douglas-Jones Mercer. This is enhanced by the level of cross-discipline support.’
‘Paul Shuttleworth is proactive and reponsive.’
Community Lives Consortium
Bad Wolf Ltd
Skelton Thomas Engineering Ltd
Hornbill Engineering Ltd
Harding Evans LLP
Newport-based firm Harding Evans LLP has a strong reputation for local employers, including those within the retail, manufacturing and leisure sector, on behalf of a range of employment issues including in the context of adapting to new hybrid working arrangements in the aftermath of Covid. Team head Daniel Wilde takes the lead on the most significant employer mandates including as it relates to data protection, industrial action and complex discrimination cases, in addition to his regular work for senior executives negotiating settlement agreements.
Golley Slater Group Limited
MSS Group Limited
Glamorgan White Lining
- Advised longstanding client NAAFI on the TUPE and outsourcing implications arising from its award of the Royal Navy Laundry Contract involving the transfer of circa 35 employees.
- Acting for longstanding client Golley Slater Group Limited in relation to a dispute with senior former employee in relation to non solicitation of staff.
- Acted for multiple employees on settlement agreements arising from a voluntary redundancy programme following the close of Newport office
Although it is a very small team, Howells Solicitors punches above its weight, by virtue of its ability to provide a ‘skilled and knowledgeable’ service to claimants, as well as a growing number of respondents in employment litigation. The success of the practice can largely by attributed to ‘empathetic and efficient’ team head Gemma Bailey, who ‘successfully manages the needs of clients whilst delivering a personalised service’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Howells has carved a niche as a strong claimant focused practice within South Wales.’
‘Howells’ communication, knowledge and expertise is second-to-none.’
‘They are approachable, down to earth and able to adapt to the individual needs of their diverse range of clients. A skilled and knowledgeable employment team.’
‘I have used Gemma Bailey personally as my solicitor and find her one of the most genuine, thoughtful humans I have come across. I have passed Gemma onto many potential clients (whistleblowers), and she has been the first point of contact for their employment issues, all of whom have stated how they have felt Gemma to be sincere in their discussions and not just there to charge them the earth.’
‘Gemma Bailey is a fabulous and experienced employment specialist. She successfully manages the needs of clients whilst delivering a personalised service. She adapts to ensure that the indiviaul needs of her clients are met whilst ensuring the provision of exceptional quality advice.’
‘Gemma Bailey is empathetic, efficient and reasonable to deal with.’
Morgan Denton Jones
Specialist employment boutique Morgan Denton Jones provides a 'very professional, responsive and collaborative' service to private and public sector employers and employees across a range of contentious and non-contentious work. Mark Morgan provides 'exceptional advice' and co-heads the team alongside Jenny Jones, who is particuarly strong at handling corporate support work.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have always found the Morgan Denton Jones team to be very professional, responsive and collaborative at all times.’
‘I have mostly dealt with Mark Morgan and find him very easy to work with. Mark has always provided exceptional advice.’
Morgan LaRoche has a strong following in the market on discrete standalone employment matters, as well as through its very popular retainer service - the "Employer Support Service" -which stands out from other equivalent packages by virtue of its ability to provide 'professional and personalised support' and to offer a 'personal touch' to businesses across the gamut of their ongoing HR/employment needs. Carmarthen-based team head Hannah Belton 'literally oozes professionalism' and her varied workload has seen her increasingly busy for respondents in employment tribunal matters. Drawing upon significant in-house expertise both in an HR and legal capacity, Swansea-based associate Sophie Ray brings an excellent perspective to clients navigating an array of day-to-day employment issues, as well as in the context of corporate support.
Other key lawyers:
‘I found the firm to be easy to deal with. They had effective processes and were polite and professional.’
‘The whole team is just perfect. It’s as if they have been hand picked to offer that personal touch.’
‘They provide superb support to our business and ensure our team stays ahead of the game in all HR and employment law issues.’
‘We appreciate Hannah Belton’s personalised, bespoke approach to our business needs.’
‘Hannah Belton literally oozes profesionalism and has gained an excellent reputation in the area.’
‘Sophie Ray made the process extremely easy, she was prompt with responses, took time to understand and listen, made what was a not particularly pleasant situation quite painless.’
Protherics UK Limited
The National Botanic Garden of Wales
Princes Gate Water Limited
Benson Viscometers Limited
Retreats Group Limited
Urban Foundry Limited
Window to the Womb t/a Woodhaze Limited
Valley to Coast
- Exclusive employment law advisers to The National Botanic Gardens of Wales, work which has involved advising on day-to- day HR issues as well as reviewing contracts, policies and procedures including the provision of documents in Welsh.
- Providing employment advice regarding employee exits on behalf of Princes Gate Water Limited.
- Represented Protherics UK Limited on a variety of matters, often including advice to HR in Australia, France and the US.
Comprised of 'particularly compassionate and highly motivated' individuals, in part due to the firm's unique status as a not-for-profit organisation with the focus on giving profits to charities nominated by their clients, AltraLaw has made rapid strides in the local market since its formation at the beginning of 2020. Led by Nathan Vidini, who displays 'instinctive empathy and street-wise tactical nous', the firm excels in handling litigation for claimants, including vulnerable individuals who have, for example, experienced mental health issues due to workplace stress. Although the 'genuine, open and honest' Vidini remains at the forefront of the firm's workload, the team has grown considerably over the past 12 months to include key practitioners including associate Rhydian Reeves, who joined from Slater and Gordon in November 2021, and is already impressing clients by dint of his 'his unruffled and calm manner and detailed knowledge of employment law'.
Other key lawyers:
‘This collective of employment law specialist offers compassionate support to all clients from inception to conclusion of each claim.’
‘The team go over and above client care, everything they do is centred around excellent client care.’
‘Nathan Vidini goes over and above to ensure that each client feels supported and that the desired outcome is always acheived. Nathan makes himself available beyond standard working hours, offers empathetic support and accurate legal advice.’
- Successfully resolved a very long-running and high-profile dispute between Caerphilly County Borough Council and its former chief executive.
- Continuing to negotiate severance packages for numerous Equity and Salaried Partners (and other lawyers) who have departed large law firms across the UK.
- Continuing to represent a high-profile member in the UK education sector in a complex dispute relating to allegations of unpaid stipend, incentives and bonuses.
Appreciated for its 'transparent costs and fee structures', Cardiff-based sole practitioner boutique REFRESHING LAW provides 'pragmatic, practical and business-focused advice' to employers and employees across a range HR and employment law matters. Anna Denton Jones 'has seen it all before' during her long career in private practice and as well as her discrete fee-earning work, is also well-regarded by companies for her training sessions on a range of issues including restrictive covenants and TUPE.
‘Provide transparent costs and fee structures’.
‘The firm provides pragmatic, practical and business-focused advice.’
‘We use Refreshing Law as they are always available and spend time discussing and understanding the issue. More importantly they are upfront and give straight forward balanced advice.’
Effectively utilising cloud-based technologies and state of the art AI, Newport-based employment boutique Slate Legal has a 'good working knowledge of employment law' which it deploys to good effect for a varied mix of employers and employees. As a virtual law firm, the firm is able to provide a very cost effective service to clients unencumbered by expensive overheads. Founder and manging partner James Moss provides 'responsive and professional' advice, including on behalf of senior executives and employees, negotiating exit packages or embroiled in litigation.
‘The firm has a good working knowledge of employment law.’
‘The very professional James Moss has a good knowledge of his field and always responds promptly.’
Copart UK Ltd
Patent Seekers Ltd
Euro Foods Group Limited
Cambria Consulting Ltd
Meddygfa Glan Cynon Surgery
Archer & Co (Chepstow) Ltd
- Representing leading UK vehicle remarketing company, Copart UK Ltd, on several Employment Tribunal matters, as well as advising across its 16 UK sites on data protection, redundancies, whistleblowing, absence management, grievances and disciplinaries.
- Advising international IP company, Patent Seekers Ltd, on contractual issues including the enforcement of post-termination restrictive covenants, complex disciplinaries and drafting settlement agreements.
- Providing TUPE advice to a major food manufacturer in relation to a key UK acquisition.
Thompson Darwin Limited
Instructed directly by clients, as well as in a referral capacity from other law firms, Thompson Darwin Limited provides 'sensible and practical advice' to Wales and England-based SMEs, start-ups and larger corporates across a range of their ongoing HR and employment concerns. In addition, team head Bethan Darwin who 'has an incredible range of knowledge within her field', also regularly advises senior executives on settlement agreements, as well as in litigation (including as it relates to potential breaches of restrictive covenants).
‘The firm provides sensible, practical advice explained with a minimum of fuss.’
‘The knowledge base that they share and are able to call upon is nothing short of exceptional.’
‘The invoicing is always clear and concise and the value for money is excellent.’
G Tech (Grey Technology Limited)
Magnet & Steel Limited
Penderyn (The Welsh Whisky Company Limited)
Abergavenny Fine Foods Limited
Net Consulting Limited
J W Bowkett Electrical Services Limited
Red Recruitment Partnership Limited
Specsavers Hearcare Cardiff
- Advising pet products company Magnet & Steel Limited – with various pieces of employment law advice, including as it relates to contracts of employment, exit of senior staff disciplinaries and updating contractual documentation.
- Advising Grey Technology Limited on a range of employment matters, including on redundancies, grievances and disciplinaries.
- Advising Scarlets Rugby on employment law matters including on player contracts, office based employment contracts and policies and procedures, disciplinaries and grievances, maternity leave and pay, redundancies, furlough and changes in working arrangements due to Covid 19.
Although it also handles a range of advisory work, GHP Legal‘s Wrexham-based team which is headed by Robert Williams is perhaps best-known for its contentious offering for employers and employees. Recent tribunal work has included successful representation of former employees in relation to unfair and constructive dismissal claims.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Although it is still relatively new in the market, having only opened its Cardiff office in February 2020, Harrison Clark Rickerbys has quickly made an impact in the market as a result of some astute hires. Two of those were from Hugh James, including contentious expert Chris Mayers and public sector-focused partner Andrea Thomas. The firm also secured an appointment to the National Procurement Service legal services framework, ensuring that it is picking a considerable amount of public sector work, alongside a solid roster of private sector clients that include IT and fintech entities.
‘Extremely obliging, very quick to answer all communications and above all brilliant at their work.’
exeGesIS Spatial Data Management
Harrisons Solicitors LLP
The ‘very knowledgeable and professional’ team at Welshpool-based firm Harrisons Solicitors LLP is appreciated for the very personal service it provides to regional businesses and employees throughout Mid Wales across a myriad employment work, ranging from the negotiation of settlement agreements and drafting employment contracts, through to employment tribunal matters. Team head Charlotte Powell-Jones and managing partner Anne Smith are ‘both incredibly helpful and responsive’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very helpful and easy to converse with – don’t confuse you with loads of legal jargon.’
‘Exceptionally nice to deal with, and very knowledgeable and professional.’
‘They treat clients as people not as customers.’
Wynnstay Group Plc
Charlies Stores Limited
Rees Astley Holdings Limited
Hafren Veterinary Group
SWG Construction (Build and Renovate) Ltd
- Advised a retainer client on the return from furlough of staff who were classed as vulnerable, and advised on a restructure, resulting in redundancies, handling in such a way that no claims were brought.
- Advised in respect of a prospective unfair constructive dismissal case. Issues included interpretation of implied terms of employment arising from conduct regarding duties and hours, breakdown of mutual trust and confidence, fairness of disciplinary investigation and subsequent grievance procedures.
- Handling the employment advice in respect of a share sale.
Watkins & Gunn Limited
Watkins & Gunn Limited is probably best-known for its work for union clients, spanning advice on industrial relations, industrial action and representation of individual members bringing employment claims. Pontypool-based team head Lisa Guscott handles much of this work, as well as advice to coporate clients and for employees bringing claims for disability discrimination.
Other key lawyers:
Bakers Food & Allied Workers Union
R & M Williams
- Ongoing dispute with a local bakery regarding lack of consultation leading to redundancies following its closure with a loss of almost 200 jobs.
- Advising on a longstanding dispute with the employer (a local bakery) surrounding holiday pay for members on flexible working contracts.
- Representing a client in a complex TUPE issue following a successful tender bid. This led to numerous claims against the client and the unsuccessful candidate from the tender.