Competition in Ukraine
Aequo handles some of the most complex competition law matters in Ukraine, which includes representing Ukrainian and international clients in investigations initiated by the Antimonopoly Committee. It is a leading firm for handling merger clearances and competition issues relating to the establishment of joint ventures, distribution and licensing arrangements, and strategic alliances. Managing partner Denis Lysenko heads the practice with newly promoted partner Sergey Denisenko, whose expertise includes merger filings, competition investigations and market inquiries. Senior associate Yevgen Blok has a particular focus on the financial and pharmaceutical industries.
DSM Nutritional Products Europe AG
Dragon Capital Investments Limited
- Advised ArcelorMittal on the establishment of a joint venture and acquisition of joint control over India’s fourth-largest steelmaker.
- Represented Apax Partners before the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine to obtain clearance to purchase a controlling stake in Healthium MedTech.
- Advised Concorde Capital on the acquisition of HeidelbergCement Ukraine.
Arzinger has 'a strong and professional team that is forward-looking, creative and pragmatic in its advice'. Timur Bondaryev is highly experienced in Ukrainian and CIS competition law, particularly in acting for prominent businesses before the Antimonopoly Committee in complex merger control, abuse of dominance and alleged cartel cases. Counsel Oleksander Dyakulych is recommended for his expertise in the automotive and energy sectors. Other areas of strength for the team include market queries and investigations, state aid cases, public procurement, private enforcement and competition compliance.
‘Timur Bondarev is very energetic and always ready to help. It is easy to reach him. He is client-oriented and gives his team the right guidance to reach the desired outcome.’
‘Oleksander Dyakulych is pragmatic and focused on the actions which can work.’
‘The Arzinger practice is unique due to its strong expertise in competition law; the fact that the lawyers know and understand the field and the peculiarities in business; and its highly qualified lawyers with broad practical experience, deep skills and professional qualifications.’
‘The lawyers provide tailored legal advice, interact with regulatory bodies on behalf of the client, participate in court proceedings, always resolve cases quickly, on time and to the highest standard. They have deep knowledge and understanding of clients’ business needs.’
‘Arzinger is a reliable partner that supports the client in any complex and unusual case. It has high compliance standards.’
‘The Arzinger competition team is one of the best in Ukraine. Timur Bondaryev, Oleksander Dyakulych and Marianna Bek are professional and skilled practitioners. They understand business, always provide high-quality legal assistance, and develop innovative strategies and “out-of-the box” solutions for challenging and complex cases.’
- Representing Artemsil in the process of challenging a decision of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine in the court of first instance.
Asters has 'outstanding and exceptional knowledge and experience in competition law'. Noted for his expertise in high-profile mergers and antitrust investigations, Igor Svechkar leads the sizeable team, which counts Bayer, Teva Pharmaceuticals and Siemens among its clients. Oleksandr Voznyuk and counsel Tetiana Vovk are highly recommended for abuse of dominance and unfair competition cases. The team also has expertise in state aid cases, competition-related litigation - including defending clients before the Antimonopoly Committee and the courts - and competition matters in the pharmaceutical, chemical, IT and energy sectors.
‘Asters is a good partner in the competition area. Tetiana Vovk is recommended.’
‘The firm has deep knowledge of the competition law of both Ukraine and the EU. This gives competitive advantage to the team while working on complex transactions involving several jurisdictions.’
‘Pavlo Verbolyuk, Tetiana Vovk and Igor Svechkar are proactive, with deep expertise in competition law. They keep track of all the aspects of complex transactions and have good skills for managing big projects. They are responsive and always meet the deadlines.’
‘Oleksandr Voznyuk was dedicated, client-oriented and effective. He was able to explain the most complicated matters in simple terms.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
The Walt Disney Company
General Electric Company
The Carlyle Group
- Obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition by The Walt Disney Company of control over 21st Century Fox.
- Obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition by AbbVie of Allergan.
- Obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition by Wabtec of GE Transportation.
Avellum's practice continues to strengthen its market position, advising on the competition aspects of a growing number of high-profile M&A transactions. Mykola Stetsenko and Yuriy Nechayev lead the practice, which also covers concerted practices, cartels and market investigations, abuse of dominance, unfair competition, compliance programmes, litigation, state aid and public procurement matters, and is particularly active in the agricultural sector. Counsel Yaroslav Medvediev advises a range of Ukrainian and international clients, particularly on merger control and concerted practices notifications.
“The firm has a unique practice due to the in-depth knowledge and engagement of the partners and associates. It is highly professional and has extremely good negotiators.”
“Yuriy Nechayev and Maksym Maksymenko stand out as professional and extremely strong negotiators.”
Abbeydrift Limited (part of Diligent Capital Partners)
MTB Bank (former Marfin Bank)
responsAbility Investments AG
UFuture (former Kyiv Investment Group)
- Advised EVO Group on obtaining a merger control clearance from the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine for its merger with Rozetka.
- Advised Abbeydrift on the acquisition of joint control over Allseeds.
- Advised MTB Bank on the antitrust aspects of its merger with Bank Center.
The team at Baker McKenzie, Kyiv Office is headed by Oksana Simonova, who is a leading adviser on merger control and concerted practices, unfair competition and dominance issues, as well as assisting with antitrust compliance programmes. The practice, which counts Unilever and Sumitomo Corporation among its clients, is able to work alongside the firm's international network of offices to handle merger clearances for global transactions, and has expertise in the pharmaceutical, agribusiness, consumer goods, IT and automotive sectors. Senior associate Olga Mikheieva is recommended.
“The Baker team is absolutely dedicated to the project, and it shows personal engagement with a forward-looking vision.”
De Heus Animal Nutrition
Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on the establishment of two new joint ventures with Toyota Motor Corporation and Hino Motors.
- Advised Smart-Holding on the acquisition of a Ukrainian company active in the area of real estate.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group on the acquisition of joint control over a company that operates an aircraft engine leasing business.
CLACIS is 'a small firm but very popular and very focused'. Antonina Yaholnyk, who has expertise in multi-jurisdictional merger control matters and abuse of dominance and unfair competition cases, leads the boutique practice. The team has extensive experience in competition investigations and litigation in Ukraine and the CIS region, as well as acting for multinationals in the region, including PepsiCo, MasterCard and Glencore, in relation to merger clearances and advising on compliance and public procurement. Clients are drawn from the telecoms, retail, industry, agriculture and finance sectors.
British American Tobacco
TPS Holding, Ocean Plaza
Group “T.B. Fruit”
- Obtained approval from the Antimonopoly Committee for the acquisition by Cosco of the shares of Terminales Portuarios Chancay from Glencore.
- Advised T.B. Fruit on competition law issues in distribution.
CMS' sizeable competition team includes Olga Belyakova, who specialises in advising foreign and local clients in the IT and telecoms sectors, and Maria Orlyk, who has particular expertise in investigations and the competition aspects of international transactions, including high-profile mergers. The team also advises on compliance and unfair competition matters. Orlyk recently advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on a three-year project aimed at building the capacity of Ukraine's Antimonopoly Committee.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
ALPLA-Werke Alwin Lehner GmbH & Co KG
Erste Group: Steiermarkische Bank und Sparkassen AG
- Advised on a high-profile EBRD project aimed at capacity building in the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
- Advised MV Cargo on the competition law aspects of a landmark $100m joint venture with Cargill in the Black Sea port of Yuzhne.
- Advised Alpla on the competition aspects of launching a joint venture to develop fully bio-based and recyclable paper bottles.
DLA Piper focuses on handling merger clearances for major transactions in the Ukrainian market. In addition, the team assists high-profile clients such as Pfizer and Mondelez with compliance, and advises on the competition aspects of joint ventures, shareholders' agreements, commercial agreements and trade practices, and IP issues. Practice head Galyna Zagorodniuk also assists with competition investigations and represents clients before the Antimonopoly Committee in abuse of dominance, cartel and unfair competition cases.
Ferrero International S.A.
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
Pharma Start LLC
- Advising Volvo on the application of regulations on vertical concerted actions newly adopted by the Antimonopoly Committee to the client’s existing distribution agreement in Ukraine.
- Advised Perion Network on the acquisition of AI start-up Septa Communications.
Noted for its 'strong industry expertise and knowledge of local regulations', Ilyashev & Partners advises on merger clearances, concerted practices, unfair competition and abuse of dominance cases, and the competition aspects of commercial agreements and public procurement. Newly promoted partner Oleksandr Fefelov leads the practice, which counts Ukrainian and international companies such as Antonov and Xiaomi among its clients. Oleksandr Padalka joined as counsel from Sayenko Kharenko in August 2019.
‘Ilyashev & Partners covers the full spectrum of competition work for our groups of companies. Their team has strong knowledge of law and practice.’
‘Managing partner Mikhail Ilyashev is a very strong lawyer in the Ukrainian market. He is very solution-oriented and he has an ability to drive processes in a timely manner. He’s got industry knowledge and the capacity to handle very large transactions.’
‘Oleksandr Fefelov has exceeded our expectations, displaying excellent service and spot-on advice in competition issues.’
‘I recommend Oleksandr Fefelov as a results-oriented and competent expert with broad transactional and competition experience.’
‘Ilyashev & Partners achieve results every time they take an assignment. We get a great level of legal expertise from all team members. Their promises strictly correspond to their deeds and results. We find the firm’s fees fair and reasonable and the firm’s billing is always accurate. They are fully committed to a collaborative client relationship that builds trust over the long term.’
‘Mikhail Ilyashev has excellent expertise and broad experience. He is an outstanding professional. Mikhail ensures the whole firm provides top-level service at any time. In every matter, Mikhail provides highly proficient advice and develops a unique winning strategy for every case.’
‘Oleksandr Fefelov is a bright lawyer with very deep knowledge of the insurance business world. He’s extremely committed and good to work with.’
LetterOne Corporate Advisor Limited
Friction Material Group Limited
Astellas Pharma Europe
- Obtaining merger clearance from the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine for the purchase by Friction Material Group of two of Temac’s companies.
- Advising on obtaining merger clearance from the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine for the acquisition by BOCE (Hong Kong) 0f shares in the Ukrainian PFTS Stock Exchange.
- Representing Ukrrichflot before the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine in proceedings regarding abuse of a dominant position by Ukrzaliznytsia (Ukrainian Railways) during the provision of services to elevate railways bridges over the Dnipro River.
Sayenko Kharenko is praised for 'its ability to provide commercially focused advice with respect to Ukrainian merger control rules'. Practice head Vladimir Sayenko specialises in obtaining merger clearances for market-leading transactions, while up-and-coming partners Valentyna Hvozd and Maksym Nazarenko have experience in concerted practices, cartels, abuse of dominance and unfair competition cases. All three are noted for their 'in-depth knowledge and responsiveness'. The firm counts Anheuser-Busch InBev and Horizon Capital among its clients.
‘The Sayenko Kharenko competition team is competent and responsive, and has first-hand insight into the latest developments of merger control rules in Ukraine.’
‘Maksym Nazarenko and associate Julia Kuyda have a client-oriented approach. They are knowledgeable and effective in their communication.’
‘The team is particularly good in investigations, delivering high-quality and timely advice adjusted to the local environment and culture.’
‘Valentyna Hvozd is a joy to work with from an in-house perspective. Hands-on and pragmatic, she does high-quality work within the competition law field.’
‘This team is responsive and able to provide clear, balanced advice.’
‘They have been very good at providing practical advice, balancing the need for expediency with the potential legal risks that can arise in Ukraine.’
‘The team is very responsive and gives pragmatic advice.’
‘Valentyna Hvozd is a very committed attorney and is always available at short notice. In addition, she gives pragmatic advice tailored to the client’s needs and is able to find a good balance between Ukraine’s demanding merger control regime and the client’s interests.’
‘This is my “go-to” firm for advice on Ukrainian merger control law.’
‘Valentina Hvozd is expert in merger control law.’
‘They have a very pragmatic approach and good connections with the competition authority. They truly think along with you and are therefore a reliable partner for merger control in Ukraine.’
‘Vladimir Sayenko is the top lawyer in Ukraine.’
‘Maksym Nazarenko is an energetic and enthusiastic person and also very knowledgeable, which makes it a great pleasure to work with him.’
Anheuser-Busch InBev S.A./N.V.
SUN InBev Ukraine
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
VR Global Partners L.P.
Widex Holding A/S
- Obtaining merger clearance for the anticipated $62bn acquisition of Shire by Takeda Pharmaceutical Company.
- Obtaining merger clearance for the acquisition by BASF of seeds, non-selective herbicides and nematicide seed treatments businesses from Bayer.
- Obtaining merger clearance in Ukraine for the business combination of two leading hearing aid companies, EQT (Sivantos) and Widex Holding.
Oleksandr Bondarchuk and Yevgen Melnychenko lead the practice at firm ADS Legal Group and are described as 'professionals who know their job'. The boutique firm focuses on competition, state aid and public procurement, and the team includes former civil servants who were part of the government team during the development and implementation of the state aid control system in Ukraine.
“We are very satisfied with the quality of the services of ADS Legal Group.”
“We are convinced that the people at this company are able to provide services quickly and efficiently.”
Dentons has 'solid and sound expertise, and an innovative and creative team'. Corporate and competition expert Volodymyr Monastyrskyy heads the practice, which advises large international companies on the merger clearance for cross-border M&A deals. The firm handles the design of compliance programmes, as well as advising on cartel investigations, state aid and unfair competition matters. Associate Igor Svitlyk has particular experience advising on compliance and government regulations.
“The practice is usually involved in complex cases. They are well oriented in competition legislation. The responsibility of the members is of a high level. They traditionally and successfully work on complex international M&A transactions.”
“Volodymyr Monastyrskyy is responsible, highly educated and deeply involved in the cases which he deals with.”
“Dentons is able to absorb the best knowledge and develop distinguished skills quickly and adapt its practice to market needs, while keeping a crystal-clear reputation and transparency even in the toughest environment.”
“Oleg Batyuk and Volodymir Monastyrskyy are recognisable and respectful partners of Dentons in Ukraine and abroad who have been rewarded plenty of times for outstanding achievement in legal spheres.”
“The firm has a broad chain of offices across the CIS, as well as competitive rates, great expertise and great associates. The teams in Ukraine, Romania and Kazakhstan are great, responsive and high-quality.”
“Igor Svitlyk has good knowledge of law and is orientated towards results. He managed all the projects well and at many times was above expectations in terms of quality of support, communications and results.”
DTEK Renewables BV
Acciona Energia Global
TIU Canada Ukraine
- Advised DTEK Renewables on complex competition law matters in connection with the implementation of several renewable energy projects in Ukraine.
- Conducted the simulation of a mock dawn raid by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine, including providing a competition law support hotline, for Henkel.
- Advised Acciona Energia Global on complex competition matters in connection with its €54.7m investment in the development of a solar power plant in Dymerka.
Serhiy Shershun, who is 'a true professional in his field', and competition disputes and enforcement expert Vyacheslav Korchev lead the practice at Integrites. 'The interests of the client and their unconditional protection are the main principles of the firm', which handles merger clearances, concerted practices, abuse of dominance investigations, unfair competition cases, competition litigation and regulatory matters.
“We really appreciate when they do not formally approach our questions, solving them according to the template, but very carefully study the details and consider the situation from different angles. They perform a thorough analysis of the information and only then provide evaluations and conclusions, and not vice versa.”
“Serhiy Shershun has vast experience and never chooses the easiest way, but chooses the way to maximise the protection of the interests of the client.”
Atlantic Agro Holding
- Advised Farmak, one of the biggest pharmaceutical producers in Ukraine, on an abuse of dominance investigation in the medical substances market.
- Advised Valagro, a leading company in the production and marketing of biostimulants, on counteracting unfair competition from competitors.
Kinstellar handles matters relating to merger control, commercial practices, cartels, abuse of dominance, unfair practices and all aspects of competition litigation, as well as dealing with state aid matters. The practice is led by counsel Mykyta Nota, who has expertise in dispute resolution. Among the team's clients are international companies such as Marriott International, Syngenta, British American Tobacco and Wizz Air.
Marriott International Inc.
Nemiroff Vodka Limited
British American Tobacco
- Provided competition law advice to Marriott subsidiary International Hotel Licensing Company in connection with the opening of Aloft Kiev Hotel.
- Obtaining approvals from the Ukrainian competition authority for a corporate restructuring of Nemiroff Vodka.
- Representing a minority shareholder of a large Ukrainian agricultural company in a $40m ICC arbitration for breach of non-compete covenants and compensation of antitrust damages.
Legal Alliance Company
Legal Alliance Company is best known for securing the approval of vertical agreements on the supply of pharmaceutical products, and for assisting pharmaceutical companies with investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine. The team advises on abuse of dominant position, concerted practices and unfair competition cases, as well as public procurement and compliance. Andriy Gorbatenko leads the practice and has 'a deep understanding of the market and the ability to quickly delve into issues and find effective solutions'.
“Under the supervision of Andriy Gorbatenko, the Legal Alliance team has been delivering dedicated and class-leading client service.”
“The main distinguishing feature of working with Legal Alliance is a deep understanding of the functioning of the pharmaceutical market, due to which the experts of this company can provide not only an analysis of the activities proposed by the client but also provide recommendations on how to modify such activities in order to achieve an acceptable level of risk.”
“The Legal Alliance team, and Andriy Gorbatenko in particular, has expertise in both competition law and economics. One of the features that distinguish Andriy from a number of other experts in this field is the ability to convey regulatory issues in a simple and understandable form.”
Oleksandr Aleksyeyenko heads the practice at Marchenko Partners, which has been increasingly active handling merger clearances, compliance advice and investigations involving cartels, abuse of dominance, unfair competition and state aid matters. The firm is a pioneer in the state aid field, having acted on the first Ukrainian state aid complaint under the new regulatory regime. The team counts international companies such as McDonald’s and Next Retail among its clients.
“The firm has a very decent practice in competition law. It is known for its solid market reputation in the local corporate world. It has very good knowledge of the subject and a very active and open team that is easy to work with and well connected to the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.”
“Oleksandr Aleksyeyenko is a very professional lawyer, who always tries to see the big picture, then acts. Competition is his core area of expertise, and he knows it very well. He is a clever, shrewd and practical lawyer, whose knowledge combines well with his open mind and readiness to learn.”
“The team is very skilled and compact. I believe that the main strength of the competition team is that they are ready to invest their time and efforts into complex and unique projects.”
“The firm seems to be really focused on the client’s needs if compared with other firms, especially the big ones. The team is not afraid of investing in and developing new niches. Overall, the quality of services is just splendid.”
Man Wah Group
Shire / Baxalta
- Represented Nova Poshta in a complaint regarding state aid received by Ukrposhta, the national postal operator.
- Advised Next Retail on the unfair competition aspects of its domain name, trade mark and copyright infringement dispute with a Ukrainian online and brick-and-mortar shop.
- Represented Nova Poshta in an unfair competition investigation into an allegedly misleading advertising campaign.
Newly promoted partner Anastasia Usova leads the practice at Redcliffe Partners, which handles complex competition matters relating to abuse of dominance, cartels, commercial and pricing practices, and distribution agreements, as well as merger control filings in the CIS and the EU. Senior associate Nataliya Kovalyova specialises in advising multinational and Ukrainian clients on merger control and concerted practices. The firm frequently acts on global M&A deals with international law firms such as Clifford Chance LLP.
JP Morgan Securities
Saudi Agricultural and Livestock Investment Company (SALIC)
- Advised CVC on obtaining merger clearance from the Ukrainian competition authority for its acquisition of Recordati.
- Advised SALIC on obtaining several merger clearances from the Ukrainian Antimonopoly Committee for the acquisition of Mriya Agro Holding.
- Advised Ukrnafta on various competition issues related to the potential sale of its gas-producing assets to Naftogaz of Ukraine.
Vasil Kisil & Partners focuses predominantly on investigations of market dominance abuse and cartels, as well as merger control filings. Practice head Anna Sisetska also provides regulatory advice to a diverse client base that includes Mondelez Ukraine, Spectr-Agro and the European Business Association. The firm has extensive experience in the retail sector and handles unfair competition issues in the fast-moving consumer goods, gas, pharmaceuticals and DIY industries.
Alliance Holding LLC (Shell)
European Business Association (EBA)
Intellecom (Giraffe TM)
- Advised Spectr-Agro on the merger clearance for its joint venture with Sumitomo Corporation.
- Represented Ukrainian seeds producer LNZ in obtaining merger clearance from the Antimonopoly Committee for the acquisition of Ukrainian agricultural companies.
- Representing Shell Ukraine in a dispute with the Antimonopoly Committee relating to abuse of dominance in several regions of Ukraine where Shell allegedly dominated or shared collective dominance.
Wolf Theiss has been increasingly active advising clients in the manufacturing, retail, energy, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, banking, IT and insurance industries on merger clearance filings. Lead partner Olga Ivlyeva has extensive experience acting for Ukrainian and foreign companies, including representing clients before the Antimonopoly Committee and in court proceedings. Clients include Munich Re and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
A1 Telekom Austria AG
AMIC Energy Management
Also Holding AG
- Advising Hisense on the competition aspects of its acquisition of Gorenje’s shares.
- Representing Munich Re before the Ukrainian competition authority with respect to a merger assessment issue.
- Advising A1 Telekom Austria on the competition aspects of the potential acquisition of one of the largest Ukrainian telecoms companies.
Ante Law Firm
Ante Law Firm is primarily focused on the aviation and pharmaceutical sectors, in which it assists clients with research initiatives and investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine. Among its clients are numerous international airlines, including British Airways and Lufthansa, as well as life sciences companies such as Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine. Litigator Andriy Guck leads the practice.
Sanofi-Aventis Ukraine LLC
Danylo Halytskyi Lviv International Airport
Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.
British Airways PLC
Perrigo Ukraine LLC
- Representing Sanofi-Aventis in a case regarding a $2.6m fine from the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
- Representing Danylo Halytskyi Lviv International Airport case before the Antimonopoly Committee regarding lack of access to the handling market at the airport.
- Advising airlines – including Qatar Airways Group, British Airways and Lufthansa – regarding answers to the demands of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
Antika Law Firm
Antika Law Firm has been advising on a growing number of competition compliance matters, risk assessments, cross-border merger clearance filings and cases relating to unfair competition and concerted actions. Managing partner Alexey Kot and Sergii Korniienko are the key practitioners and have experience representing clients in investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee. They count Imperial Tobacco Ukraine and Ukrnafta among their clients.
AWT Bavaria Group
Imperial Tobacco Ukraine
Tehnobud Service LLC
Odesky Center of Medical Statistics
- Advising AWT Bavaria Group on its advertisement compliance policy.
- Acting for Odesky Center of Medical Statistics in a dispute over the state procurement process.
- Acting for Tehnobud Service in a dispute on the state procurement process.
Danevych.Law is a boutique firm focused on the life sciences sector and it acts mainly for global pharmaceutical companies. Lead partner Borys Danevych frequently provides second opinions on investigations into the sector by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine that may have an impact on key clients, among which are Bayer, Takeda and Teva. He also advises on regulatory matters in Ukraine.
- Advising Bayer Healthcare on competition, pricing and reimbursement legislation.
- Advising Lilly on competition compliance in relation to domestic pharmaceutical wholesalers and on-going competition investigations in the pharmaceutical sector.
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau
ECOVIS Bondar & Bondar Law Bureau handles significant competition matters, primarily in the aviation and real estate industries. Its work covers antimonopoly clearance for M&A transactions, as well as high-profile competition investigations in the infrastructure sector. Oleg Bondar and Oleksandra Nikitina are the key partners, and have been active in high-value cases related to violations of competition legislation in the aviation industry.
Ukraine International Airlines
Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners has a small competition law practice in Kiev, though it is part of one of the largest practices in the CIS thanks to the expertise in its Moscow office. Practice head Oksana Ilchenko advises international and Ukrainian investors on obtaining merger clearances from the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
'The level of service is truly remarkable and the lawyers are bright and quick-witted' at Oleksandr Peremezhko & Partners, which advises local and international clients on merger control, concerted actions, abuse of dominance, unfair competition, public procurement cases, investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine and competition litigation. Lead partner Oleksandr Peremezhko 'always keeps his finger on the pulse'.
“The advice is comprehensive and well thought out. Over the years, the firm has without a doubt proved to be the right choice and a reliable partner.”
“Their competition practice is well-integrated with the firm’s other practices, which makes the advice complex and effective. What sets the firm apart is not only the high quality of the services and cost efficiency, but also the impressive understanding of our industry and ability to develop and apply complex and effective legal strategies.”
“Associate Lidia Sokolova is bright, knowledgeable and reliable.”
“Their knowledge and expertise in complex matters is highly appreciated.”
Ukrainian Film Distribution
Road Company Alcor
- Acting for Toruńskie Zakłady Materiałów Opatrunkowych (TZMO) in an unfair competition case in connection with the misuse of the client’s trade mark.
- Acting for Widex in starting unfair competition proceedings against its subsidiary.
- Successfully acted for Tital Company in a case challenging the result of a public procurement procedure in the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine.
Pavlenko Legal Group
Pavlenko Legal Group is praised for its 'practical knowledge, expertise, quality and efficient legal help', while lead partner Anna Hryshchenko is 'experienced, decisive and creative in the search for legal solutions'. Her work includes unfair competition matters, permits for concentration and concerted actions, investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine, and due diligence on competition law compliance.
“This firm has a strong market position in the sphere of competition. They are true and dedicated professionals who advise on all aspects of antimonopoly law, know all the peculiarities of Ukrainian legislation and are always aware of all novelties.”
“The outstanding features of the team are the ability to build relationships with governmental bodies and strong communication skills, providing the best results for us.”
“We are greatly impressed by the professionalism of Anna Hryshchenko. She has more than ten years of experience in the field of corporate and antitrust law. She gives valuable advice on investing, business buying and selling issues.”
“Denis Maistrenko has strong legal experience with a focus on M&A and competition law. He is brilliant in conducting negotiations, has the ability to evaluate risks to the highest extent, and knows everything about the compliance requirements of competition and antitrust law.”
“Associate Daria Stadnyk is a young specialist, who is excellent in economic, contractual and labour law issues.”
Nuctech Company Limited
Argument Valuation Company LLC
Kraina Insurance Company PJSC
- Advised Eridon on obtaining permits for concentration relating to the acquisition of the corporate rights of Ecotrans and Artem-Agro.
- Represented TAS Group before the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine to obtain permits for concentration in relation to the acquisition of shares in Kosmo Pharmacies.
- Advising Eridon on obtaining a permit for concentration related to the acquisition of a sugar plant for the purpose of its further reconstruction.
PwC Legal grew its practice with the arrival of Oleksandra Kostrytsia, who joined from DLA Piper in August 2018 to become the third partner handling competition law at the firm, alongside Andrey Pronchenko and Alexey Katasonov. The team frequently acts for clients in the CIS region on competition compliance matters, including arrangements with competitors, suppliers and distributors, as well as M&A and joint venture transactions.
Development and Construction Holding (DCH)
Guala Closures SPA
Sergii Koziakov & Partners
Sergii Koziakov & Partners is able to draw on the previous in-house experience of members of its team at the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine. Practice heads Nataliia Isakhanova and Mykola Podpalov have been active advising on the local competition law aspects of large international M&A deals, as well as successfully representing Odessa Port Plant in three landmark cases, including defending the client against a claim for abuse of dominance.
“Sergii Koziakov & Partners are recognised leaders of legal practice in competition law in Ukraine and for many years have successfully protected clients’ interests in high-profile investigations by the Antimonopoly Committee into violations of Ukrainian legislation on the protection of economic competition.”
“Mykola Podpalov and associate Andrii Pylypenko have broad experience in rendering legal services in this area to Ukrainian and foreign companies.”
“Nataliia Isakhanova and the team know both the law and the lore, who to talk to and what to say.”
Opel Southeast Europe LLC
SC “Lactalis Ukraine”
Tedis Ukraine LLC
TRK Everest LLC
Agricom Group Limited
Europa Arm Sport LLC
LLC “Municipal Mechanized Transportation and Loading Distance”
Kamyanka Global Wine LLC
- Represented Tedis Ukraine in challenging the biggest penalty in the history of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine – up to $20m – for abuse of dominance while distributing cigarettes.
- Represented Lactalis Ukraine in challenging the Antimonopoly Committee’s decision to impose a penalty of up to $1.3m in an unfair competition case.
- Represented Odessa Port Plant in a claim for abuse of dominance.