Labour and employment in Taiwan
The team at Baker McKenzie has a large employment offering with specialism located in handling heavy commercial disputes and immigration issues. The Taipei-based team leverages its international network and is experienced in cross-Strait matters and handling expatriate workers around Southeast Asia. Seraphim Ma oversees the practice with Howard Shiu who has specialist experience in collective bargaining agreements and mass severance. The group advises on work permits, visa issues, as well as health and safety matters to employers.
Eiger's employment practice handles collective and individual labour relations for employers entering into and operating in Taiwan. The team has been advising many clients such as the European Chamber of Commerce Taiwan on coronavirus related employment issues, such as terminations. John Eastwood heads the team with support from Heather Hsiao; the team also includes associate US-qualified Nathan Snyder.
Bank of New York Mellon
Bird & Bird
London Stock Exchange Group
- Advised one of the world’s largest hotel brand Marriott on employee incentive and transfer matters.
- Advised major telecommunications company NTT on Taiwan employment matters as part of a merger.
- Advised Sony Music on labour law in Taiwan.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm 's employment practice specialises in handling large volumes of labour disputes in areas of redundancy, employee transfers, severance pays, and pensions. The team offers local and international clients with contractual and compliance work, with Jennifer Lin undertaking advisory work on all aspects of employment law. Edgar Chen, who previously serves as a labour court judge in the Taipei District Court, is noted for litigation expertise. Corporate transactions and mergers are handled by Janice Lin and Jackie Lin. Termination matters are dealt with by senior partner Randy Tsai.
Cadence Design Systems Inc. & Cadence Design System (Taiwan) B.V. Taiwan Branch
Cathay United Bank
KONGSBERG Gruppen ASA
An online food delivery platform operator
- Advised Cadence on the employment issues for their Taiwan entities, including revising work rules, drafting rules and establish its labour-management meeting, and any updates/amendment to the employment laws.
- Representation of HTC in transferring of Google phone R&D team to Google.
- Provide planning for Fiskars Group’s group restructuring and employee integration. Given Fiskars Group has many brands and offices all over the world, it took more than one year to complete the employee integration.
- We successfully represented Cathay United Bank to obtain favourable judgments in civil and administrative litigation in connection with labour issues. The administrative case has been finalized and the civil case is pending before the Supreme Court.
- Assisted KONGSBERG Gruppen ASA to successfully transfer Taiwan employees to new owner.
Winkler Partners handles a host of contentious and non-contentious employment matters for clients across the construction, pharmaceutical, and technology space. Seasoned litigator Christine Chen leads the labour practice which also has expertise in immigration and work authorisation matters in relation to international clients, on top of the traditional domestic employment matters, which include wrongful termination claims, mass redundancies, and work permits for international employers. Chen is supported by associate Hsin-Hsin Cheng who handles data protection and compliance work.
- Ongoing advice on a wide range of employment issues for a Silicon Valley-based semiconductor manufacturer. Recent matters include advice on Taiwan’s quota for employing people with disabilities and termination matters, merit bonus plans, as well as ongoing periodical advice on changes to Taiwan’s labour laws.
- Assisted global entertainment conglomerate with the hiring of their Taiwan CEO, employee redundancies, and employee benefits integration after its acquisition of a rival entertainment company.
- Assisted US tech company with the mass redundancy of its Taiwan workforce and a subsequent sexual harassment investigation.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law cover employment disputes for local and foreign clients in the pharmaceutical, telecommunications, and financial services sectors. The team also has experience assisting on redundancies, work permits, and visa applications for international companies, and also advises on health and safety matters. Arbitrator Lipu Lee and Jessie Lee both handle litigation work, have experience mediating matters, and act for companies in criminal proceedings. Chiu-Hua Chen has a specialism in construction-related litigation.
Guo Ju Law Firm
Guo Ju Law Firm provides clients a full-service employment practice with a focus on handling labour disputes. Paul Chu oversees the team which handles unfair dismissal cases, high-level terminations, and other sensitive discrimination matters for local and foreign clients. Jill Hsu is also recommended and assists clients on regulatory compliance work.
Other key lawyers:
Taikoo Motors Limited Taiwan Branch (BVI)
Taiwan Taoyuan District Court
TDK Components Taiwan Co., Ltd.
Union of the employees of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taiwan
At Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law, the employment practice is led by David Lee and handles both contentious and non-contentious employment matters for multinational corporations operating in Taiwan. The team has experience in labour disputes and assisting clients with on-site inspections. Associate Arige Sun who was previously based at the Taiwan Ministry of Labour, has a focus on acting for foreign clients on terminations and redundancies.
Other key lawyers:
Civil Aeronautics Administration, Ministry of Transportation and Communication
Taoyuan Metro Corporation
Lexcel Partners employment practice advises on day-to-day operations for multinational clients and has expertise in the dispute resolution space. Clients span across the financial services industry, luxury retail, and pharmaceuticals. Practice head David Tsai is supported by associates Aaron Lai and Paul S P Hsu who have experience with terminations plans and mediation efforts.
Lenovo Global Technology (Taiwan) Ltd.
Aia International Limited Taiwan Branch
Spirax Sarco Co. Ltd
Apex Tool (HK) Limited Taiwan Branch
TTY Biopharm Company Limited
Manulife Investment Management (Taiwan) Co., Ltd
Pictet Asset Management
LVMH P&C Taiwan
- Represents Lenovo Global Technology (Taiwan) Ltd to defend the former employee’s claim.
- Represented Kimberly-Clark Taiwan, Taiwan Branch to defend the former employees’ claim.
- Advised Kimberly-Clark Taiwan, Taiwan Branch on legal compliance of the payroll system.