Tiruchelvam Associates has a diverse practice that frequently advises on uncontested testamentary related matters such as intestate succession, probate and the execution of notarial instruments. Under the leadership of Asanka Abeysekera and Laila Nasry, the first-class team also drafts deeds, wills and other agreements for high-net-worth clients. It also continues to be busy advising on the re-sealing of foreign probates.
Private client in Sri Lanka
‘The lawyers we dealt with to undertake the estate work, lease and sale of property were knowledgeable and thorough. As I live abroad they were invaluable in managing the sale process, especially during this COVID period. They worked in cooperation with the realtors to achieve excellent results’.
‘The lead lawyer was Asanka Abeysekera. We have been pleased with her work and expertise in the area of family law. When necessary she brought in lawyers to give us guidance’.
‘Tiruchelvam Associates has been providing me with legal services for some 20 years. They have provided a very professional and competent service and maintained a high standard of integrity. I have frequently sought their advice on legal issues as I value their experience and knowledge of Sri Lankan laws and processes‘.
‘I have always found the people who I communicate with at Tiruchelvam Associates to be cordial and responsive. They seem to value their clients and treat them with due regard to be able to respond to the client’s needs. I have frequently dealt with Asanka Abeysekara and value her experience and willing responses‘.
- Advised the client on the repatriation of funds in two diplomatic bank accounts in Colombo. The team made representations on behalf of the client before the Department of Foreign Exchange (DFE) and was successful in negotiating and obtaining special permission from the DFE within a short span of time.
- Advised the client on the most feasible structure to let out the resort for operations and management by a third party. The firm also drafted a Management Agreement to ensure that the clients’ interests are fully covered.
- Continuing to represent the client in an action to re-seal foreign letters of administration that have been issued by the High Court of New Zealand, in respect of the estate of the late Asuramuni Silva.
Neelakandan & Neelakandan (formerly Murugesu & Neelakandan) continues to advise individuals, families, foundations and trustees on a wide range of private client matters from wills and probate issues to intestate succession and estate management. It also continues to advise on the re-sealing of foreign probates. With Sashidevi Neelakandan; Janani Rajeswara and Sivananthavalli ThuraRaja at the helm, the practice is also recommended for its advice to foreign clients and non-resident Sri Lankans on issues relating to the remittance of funds. Charity law is another area of expertise.
Raising Sun Trust
Oxonian Heart Foundation (Trust)
Sustainable Living Solutions Trust
Sri Subramuniya Kottam Trust
- Advised CANE Trust (which is a UK charitable trust) on matters relating to its charitable status in Sri Lanka, revenue laws and other related matters.
- Advising Sustainable Living Solutions Trust and preparing amendment deeds to comply with changes to trust laws.
- Advising Erlalai Maha Vithialayam Education Development Society in relation to a trust for the purposes of educational development and improvements at the school. Drafting trust deed and related documents.