Environment in Spain
Clifford Chance is particularly experienced in cross-border transactions in the renewable energy sector. The team also advises on other aspects of environmental law, such as claims and litigation, regulation and compliance, environmental liability and risk assessment, and the environmental aspects of commercial and property transactions. Energy regulation expert Jaime Almenar heads the team, which also includes public law specialists José Luis Zamarro and Carme Briera. The practice is currently representing Enel Green Power España in several appeals over the revocation of the administrative titles for the construction of a wind farm following an environmental impact assessment. Other recent highlights include advising La Comunidad General de Riegos del Alto Aragón as a defendant in a challenge brought by environmental associations over the construction of the Biscarrués reservoir.
Atlas Renewable Energy
Enel Green Energy Power
Banco De Santander
- Advised Atlas Renewable Energy on the contractual scheme of the 126.5MW Guajiro solar project in Mexico.
- Represented Endesa in an appeal against a tender procedure conducted by Madrid City Council relating to green energy.
- Represented Ferroatlántica in an appeal relating to its mini-hydraulic power plants.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo advises on integrated waste, recycling and water management, water concession matters, and related environmental issues deriving from the industrial and energy sectors. Key areas of work include matters related to emissions, toxic substances, generators, chemical products and climate change issues. Pedro Poveda, who has extensive experience in water and waste matters, heads the practice. Public law specialist Blanca Lozano is also noted for her ‘top-notch academic support’. Highlights included advising the Spanish Chemical Industry Federation (Feique) and representing Tirme, a provider of urban waste management services, in sanctions procedures started by the Port of Palma. While María José Rovira left for Ceca Magán Abogados, the team has been bolstered by the arrival of Eduardo Orteu, a former cabinet adviser to the Minister for Ecological Transition.
‘Agile and precise in their analyses and responses, which are formed based on an eminently practical perspective.’
Urbaser, SA – Sertego Servicios Ambientales, SL
Sistemas Integrados de Gestión de Residuos de Envases (Ecoembes, Ecovidrio, Signus, Sigaus and Recyclia)
Asociación Española de Lubricantes (Aselube)
Medio Ambiente, Agua, Residuos y Energía (Mare)
Parque de Tecnologias Ambientales de Mallorca (Tirme)
Federación Empresarial de la Industria Química Española (Feique)
Pronet Ingeniería de Software Empresarial, SL
Rota Maritime & Ship Candler Ltd
Asociación de Empresas de Limpieza Pública (Aselip)
Plataforma Tecnológica Española del CO2 (PTECO2)
Asociación Española de Fabricantes de Pasta, Papel y Cartón (Aspapel)
- Advised Urbaser-Sertego, a waste management company, on environmental issues.
- Advised several recycling and waste management NGOs – Ecoembes, Ecovidrio, Signus, Sigaus and Recyclia – on environmental issues.
- Advised Asociación Española de Lubricantes (Aselube), an association of oil companies.
The team at Hogan Lovells International LLP provides advice on environmental issues to clients in the energy, chemical, mining, pharmaceutical, electronics and insurance sectors, and has a particular focus on waste management. The full-service practice handles litigation, criminal proceedings, regulatory advice and licensing, and is noted for its ‘global services’ and ‘global vision’. Regulatory expert and experienced litigator Santiago Garrido heads the practice, and defends clients in court and administrative proceedings. David Antón, an energy specialist with experience in renewable electric power and the environmental aspects of M&A transactions, is noted.
‘Fast, with a practical approach and great knowledge of their speciality at all levels.’
Sigre Medicamento y Medio Ambiente
La Fundación Ecolec
- Advised Sigre, a company which handles the waste management of medical products, on regulatory and environmental matters.
Offering ‘strategic thinking and responsiveness to client needs’, Uría Menéndez handles transactional, regulatory and litigation matters relating to carbon trading, environmental liability, soil pollution, and waste and water management. The practice acts for clients in the energy, construction, utilities and mining sectors. Soil pollution, water and environmental liability experts Carlos de Miguel Perales and Juan Antonio Loste Madoz head the team. Noemí Blázquez, who has experience in planning law and advises on the management of hazardous substances, is noted for her ‘strategic understanding of the client’s long-term objectives’. Jesús Sedano, who has extensive experience in public procurement and contentious administrative matters, and IPPC expert Jaime Calvo Retuerto are also recommended.
Puy du Fou
Compañía Española de Laminación
Unión Químico Farmacéutica (Uquifa)
The environmental law practice at Cuatrecasas handles matters relating to air, land and water pollution; waste disposal and management; atmospheric and air emissions; noise; and climate change. The group has a strong offering for companies in the real estate development, energy and chemical sectors. The team has extensive experience in dealing with environmental procedures subject to local laws and helps to implement corporate environmental compliance systems. Yolanda Guerra leads the team jointly with administrative and regulatory law expert Luis Pérez de Ayala. Recent highlights include advising Dow Chemical on a review of environmental permits for a chemical plant and on the breach of an integrated environmental authorisation.
- Provided Saica, a paper and board manufacturer, with ongoing advice on environmental matters.
- Represented Derivados Químicos in the European Parliament in matters relating to claims and sanctions for noise and breach of environmental permits.
- Advised Escal UGS on the Castor project, a natural gas underground storage project in the Mediterranean Sea, including on environmental matters.
Del Pozo & De La Cuadra
Founding partner Covadonga Del Pozo heads the team at boutique firm Del Pozo & De La Cuadra, which has experience in matters relating to wastewater, climate change, soil pollution, protected areas, agroindustrial issues and hazardous substances, and acts for energy and heavy industry companies. The full-service practice advises on the environmental aspects of M&A transactions, litigation, and industrial and real estate projects, and provides assistance with environmental compliance. The group is currently advising private rail operator Transfesa on compliance issues.
- Represented Agroamb Prodalt, a group of companies dedicated to the treatment of municipal and industrial waste, in litigation brought by regional authorities.
- Advised Voltalia on the acquisition and development of renewable energy projects.
GTA Villamagna Abogados
GTA Villamagna Abogados handles litigation, environmental permits and audits, environmental impact assessments and transactional agreements. The team has particular experience advising on industrial and energy projects, with a focus on biomass, solar and thermoelectric energy. Practice head Ernesto García-Trevijano advised Cementos Portland Valderrivas on the environmental regulatory aspects of an urban development plan in Seville involving the use of waste as fuel. The team also includes public law, public procurement and infrastructure specialist Marta Plaza. The group is currently advising Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales and Boremer on the construction and operation of a thermal sludge drying unit in Madrid.
Cementos Portland Valderrivas
Salmedina Tratamiento De Residuos Inertes, S.L.
Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales, S.A.
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria S.A.
Ute Cespa Gestión De Residuos, S.A.
Electroquímica Del Noroeste, S.A.U.
Técnica Y Naturaleza, S.A.
- Advised Orovalle Minerals on its mining rights and research permits for the Rio Narcea Gold Belt in Asturias.
- Advised Salmedina Tratamiento De Residuos Inertes, a waste management company, on a Madrid plant for the treatment of inert waste.
- Advised Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales and Boremer on legal issues connected with the construction and operation of a thermal sludge drying unit.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Recommended for its 'strong experience and know-how', Herbert Smith Freehills LLP provides advice on the environmental aspects of corporate transactions; licensing and permit issues; waste and water; litigation; and nuclear, renewable energy and manufacturing projects. Other areas of expertise include real estate development, infrastructure and mining. Public procurement and public infrastructure expert Iria Calviño, power and renewable energy specialist Ignacio Paz and Miguel Riaño, who handles acquisitions, public tenders, project finance, privatisations and regulatory issues, head the practice. Senior associate Esther Lumbreras, who is experienced in public law and environmental law-related litigation and arbitration, is also recommended.
‘Strong experience and know-how’
‘First-class individuals, very committed and really experienced in their fields’
- Advised CaixaBank on a due diligence review of a portfolio of 12 photovoltaic projects and related environmental issues.
The multi-disciplinary team at Garrigues handles matters including the financing and acquisition of renewables projects, contaminated soil issues, environmental due diligence processes, and the issue and processing of environmental permits. Public infrastructure and planning law specialist Alfredo Fernández Rancaño leads the practice, which is currently providing the Carrefour Group with regulatory advice related to noise, water, air pollution, waste and asbestos. Other highlights included advising Alfanar on the regulations around protected natural spaces affecting wind farms.
Reed Smith LLP
Canepa Green Energy
Centros Commerciales Carrefour, S.A.
Enel Green Power Iberia
Sociedad Gallega Del Medio Ambiente, S.A.
Solaria Energía Y Medio Ambiente, S.A.
- Advised Iberdrola on environmental law and, in particular, on waste and soil pollution.
- Advised Reed Smith on Spanish environmental law.
- Advised Canepa Green Energy on the promotion of renewable energy projects.
Rosa Espín heads the ‘exceptional’ environmental practice at Latham & Watkins LLP, which deals with transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. Key areas of work include advising on brownfield land, product regulatory issues, emissions trading, and energy and renewables issues, with clients drawn from the water, mining and recycling sectors. Associate Leticia Sitges is experienced in litigation and public law.
- Advised Solarpack on the listing of its ordinary shares on the Bilbao, Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia stock exchanges.
Pérez-Llorca specialises in advising on industrial waste management and water treatment. The team provides a strong offering in planning and regulatory issues concerning real estate development. Land planning expert Vicente Estebaranz is currently providing regulatory advice on acoustic contamination, coastal easements and soil and water contamination relating to the expansion of El Prat Airport in Barcelona. He heads the team with Alberto Ibort, who has significant experience advising on waste management and soil contamination matters.
Ekistics Property Advisors
Eolia Renovables de Inversiones de Sociedad
- Advised Aena on environmental issues related to the expansion of El Prat Airport in Barcelona.
- Carried out an environmental analysis for CVC on its acquisition of Alfonso X El Sabio University.
- Advised Suez, a water treatment company, on an environmental analysis of over 275 water treatment installations.
PwC Tax & Legal Services
PricewaterhouseCoopers' environment practice group advises on regulatory and contentious matters related to water, polluted soil, dangerous substances, energy, mining and waste. Public law specialist Arancha Bengoechea leads the team and associate Ana Orondo Iglesisas, who has experience in waste management matters, is also noted.
Coca-Cola European Partner Iberia S.L.
Metro De Madrid, S.A.
Comunidad De Madrid
Generalitat De Cataluña
- Advising Coca-Cola on environmental regulatory legislation in Spain and Portugal.
- Advised Funespaña on sanctions procedures initiated due to emissions from its crematoria in Valencia.
- Advised Emuca on legislation relating to waste electrical and electronic equipment, batteries and accumulators, and the environmental management of waste.
Ramón y Cajal Abogados handles matters in relation to renewable energy; atmospheric emissions; pollution prevention and control; waste and water management; biodiversity; agriculture; and environmental liability. Joaquin Garcia Bernaldo de Quiros heads the practice with Enrique Molina. The team is currently advising Mojácar Council on construction on the seafront.
Almería Gypsum Ltd., a subsidiary of the Etex Group
Council of Alhaurín de la Torre
Council of Mojácar
APPA (Renewable Energies Association)
Association of owners of “Los Carriles” of Alcobendas
- Defended Kronospan in a case relating to air and water pollution from its manufacturing on an industrial estate.
- Represented Almería Gypsum in proceedings following the refusal to renew the extension of a concession of a gypsum quarry in Almería.
- Advised Alhaurín de la Torre Council on flood and wastewater management.