Environment in Spain
The dedicated environment practice at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo 'is an experienced team with a high knowledge of sector legislation and administrative procedures' whose specialisms include integrated water, waste and recycling management, and water concession matters. Among its client base are a number of the country's industrial federations, which benefits from the firm's experience in noise and emissions, toxic substances, mining and chemical products. Practice head Pedro Poveda is a noted expert in waste management law; Blanca Lozano is praised for her knowledge of environmental and administrative law. At the non-partner level, of counsel Eduardo Orteu has strength in water law, while associate Ignacio Álvarez is commended for his 'consolidated experience' in the field. Among the standout instructions in 2020 was the ongoing advice on draft legislation to a group of Spain's most prominent recycling and waste management NGOs.
Other key lawyers:
Blanca Lozano; Eduardo Orteu; Ignacio Álvarez
‘It is an experienced team with a high knowledge of sector legislation and administrative procedures, which places it in a prominent position compared to other firms.’
‘In addition to technical-legal knowledge, we greatly value having previously held positions that allow them to have a long-term vision of future regulatory developments.’
‘Pedro Poveda is undoubtedly the professional who currently knows the most about the subject of waste and its management. It is what made us choose this office. Very outstanding professional without a doubt and I understand that his team also.’
‘The team has enormous experience in the subject matter of the contract probably unmatched by other firms considering its past involvement in similar activities.’
‘I emphasize the deep knowledge of the team assigned in the matter, which has favored the understanding of our needs, speed of response and communication throughout the entire collaboration.’
‘GAP’s environmental team is made up of lawyers who combine experience and youth, always on the basis of high specialization. The lawyer who dedicates the most to us is Pedro Poveda. His dedication and performance are very high and he has extensive experience in the field, reinforced by his previous work in public administration. In addition, among Pedro Poveda’s skills, his ease of expression and clarity of his explanations stand out, as well as his ability to analyze problems to find the best solutions for the client’s interests.’
‘Ignacio Álavarez, junior lawyer, despite his youth, already has consolidated experience to support our daily activities and the actions of the company’s governing and administrative bodies. In addition, in the services that GA_P provides to us, they have the collaboration of Blanca Lozano, expert in environmental law.’
‘Recently, Eduardo Orteu has joined the team, in such a way that the specialization in environmental law and sustainable development has been significantly strengthened.’
Urbaser, SA – Sertego Servicios Ambientales, SL (Esp)
Sistemas Integrados de Gestión de Residuos de Envases (ECOEMBES, ECOVIDRIO, SIGNUS, SIGAUS and RECYCLIA)
MARE (Medio Ambiente, Agua, Residuos y Energía)
UNESID (Spanish Union of Iron and Steel Industries)
Rota Maritime & Ship Candler Ltd (Turk)
ASELIP (Asociación de Empresas de Limpieza Pública)
ASPAPEL (Asociación Española de Fabricantes de Pasta, Papel y Cartón)
CONSORCIO DE INDUSTRIAS DEL CAUCHO
- Advising Sertego on all environmental matters and, particularly, in regard to the regulation of administrative concessions and public procurement.
- Acting for Spain’s main recycling and waste management NGOs, Ecoembes, Ecovidrio, Signus, Sigaus and Recyclia, on the formulating of draft legislation, particularly the preparation of legal opinions on the revision of the waste directives.
- Assisting Emgrisa on regulatory development for water planning, water public constitutional and legal coordination, wastewater and water reuse legal framework.
Leading companies in the energy, chemical, mining, pharmaceutical, electronics and insurance sectors are among those that look to Hogan Lovells International LLP's full-service environment practice for advice on regulation, licensing, permits, litigation and waste management. Santiago Garrido heads the team and is one of the country's foremost names in environment and climate change regulations, and has notable experience in defending clients in judicial and administrative procedures. David Antón, a counsel with energy law expertise, represents companies before public authorities in the administrative and contentious-administrative stages. Associate Helena Villena is also heavily involved across the practice's range of matters, regularly assisting multinational and domestic companies on the regulatory framework applicable to different aspects of environmental regulations.
Other key lawyers:
David Antón; Helena Villena
‘They stand out favorably.’
‘Professional qualification and human quality. On the first, training and constant updating in the areas of its competence. Regarding the second, their dedication and involvement in the issues.’
SIGRE Medicamento y Medio Ambiente
- Advising Sertego on new environmental regulations setting the end-of-waste criteria for waste oil treatment in Spain.
- Counsel to Fundación Ecolec on all environmental matters.
- Advising DS Smith on several environmental matters including, among others, regulations on the shipment and treatment of waste.
Handling the gamut of contentious and advisory work in environmental law, Uría Menéndez's workload in 2020 included instructions from leading companies in energy, waste management, construction and utilities, in which soil and water pollution were common issues. Following the retirement of Carlos de Miguel Perales in December 2020, counsel Jesús Sedano now co-leads the practice from Madrid, alongside Juan Antonio Loste Madoz in the firm's Barcelona office. Madoz also has strengths in environmental liability assessments and climate change, while Sedano has broad environmental law capabilities as well as extensive experience in mining law and administrative proceedings. Noemí Blázquez and Jaime Calvo Retuerto are key contacts at the counsel level.
Jesús Sedano; Juan Antonio Loste Madoz
Other key lawyers:
Noemí Blázquez; Jaime Calvo Retuerto
‘Reliable advice, adjusted to business needs. Quick understanding of the problem. Anticipation and adaptation to customer needs.’
‘Simplicity in responses adapted to business needs. Alternative solutions. Customer focus.’
Ceca Magán Abogados launched its environmental law practice in October 2019 with the hire of María José Rovira. She is an expert in administrative law and regulated sectors, with specialist knowledge of water law and 20 years' experience in environment, natural resources and climate change matters. A key portion of her client base comprises of business associations, including Feique in the chemicals sector, while companies in heavy industry as well as a number of public entities also instruct the team on a wide range of matters, including litigation.
María José Rovira
CONSEJO INSULAR AGUAS DE LA GOMERA
Ball, Beverage Packaging Europe
FEIQUE, Federación Empresarial de la Industria Química española
Rota Maritime & Ship Candler
UNESID (Unión de Empresas Siderúrgicas)
Association of Steel Producing Companies
- Advising Movialsa on environmental and energy matters: emission standards and noise; generation and management of waste, among other areas.
- Assisting Fundacíon Biodiversidad on day-to-day advisory matters and representing the client in litigation matters on issues related to its activity.
- Acting for Feique on matters regarding environmental, energy, and regulation issues.
A cross-practice team of multi-disciplinary lawyers assists Clifford Chance's clients on matters of environmental law. Providing advice on the environmental aspects of projects, finance deals and M&A makes up a sizeable share of the team's instructions, with Grenergy Renovables, Iberdrola and a number of multinational banks among its clients in 2020. Further expertise comes in environmental claims and litigation, as well as risk and liability assessment, and aside from the energy sector, the firm is a popular choice for companies in the mining, chemicals and life sciences sectors. Jaime Almenar is the practice head, with extensive knowledge across all areas of public law, while head of banking and finance José Guardo contributes his extensive knowledge of energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
José Guardo; Carme Briera; Clara Alcaraz; José Luis Zamarro
ATLAS RENEWABLE ENERGY
ENEL GREEN ENERGY POWER
COMUNIDAD DE RIEGOS DE ARAGÓN
ICL GROUP/ IBERPOTASH
GRUPO VILLAR MIR
BANCO DE SANTANDER
- Assisting Iberdrola on the analysis and drafting of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs), both onsite and offsite, that allow Iberdrola to produce green electricity.
- Advised Grenergy Renovables on the negotiation of a PPA for a series of photovoltaic energy projects.
- Acted for the Rise Fund on the acquisition of approximately one gigawatt of solar PV projects from the Changzou, China-based Trina Solar.
The environment expertise at Cuatrecasas covers air, land and water pollution; waste disposal and management; noise pollution; and climate change, among other areas. The practice has key lawyers at both its Barcelona and Madrid offices; Yolanda Guerra in the former has in-depth knowledge of local law that affects environmental law and is experienced in advising on matters involving M&A and real estate transactions. Her recent highlights include work for key chemicals companies Derivados Químicos and FMC Foret. Luis Pérez de Ayala is based in Madrid and specialises in administrative and regulatory law, focusing on energy issues.
Yolanda Guerra; Luis Pérez de Ayala
FIESTA HOTELS & RESORTS
CENTRAL NUCLEAR ALMARAZ TRILLO (CNAT)
FONDO CAPITAL INFRAESTRUCTURA
- Advising Escal UGS on an ongoing basis regarding the Castor Project, a natural gas underground storage project in the Mediterranean Sea, including on environmental issues, such as on all earthquake and environmental-related problems.
- Representing Dow Chemical before the regional government on the environmental authorisation for chemical plants.
- Advising Derivados Químicos on an ongoing basis and representing the client in the European Parliament relating to claims and sanctions for noise and breach of environmental permits.
Del Pozo & De La Cuadra
Del Pozo & De La Cuadra is a boutique firm specialised in environment, energy and natural resources law. Covadonga del Pozo is instructed by a growing client list of national and international companies in energy and industry, with transport infrastructure, real estate and energy sectors being among the many covered by the firm. Expertise in the team ranges from waste management and water law to soil pollution, protected areas and hazardous substances, while the firm is becoming increasingly involved in litigation too. Senior associate María Soto joined in September 2020.
Covadonga del Pozo
Other key lawyers:
Altamira Asset Management
Evergreen Legal SLP
- Advising CAPOA in defending the vicinity’s rights and requesting full compliance with all environmental undertakings by a nearby landfill/waste treatment plant operator.
- Providing ongoing advice on environmental matters to Transfesa Group.
- Assisting Agroamb, a Spanish group of companies dedicated to the treatment of municipal and industrial waste, on its ongoing environmental matters.
A sizeable team of public law experts from across Garrigues's Spanish offices advises on environmental law matters for companies from a range of industries, with food retail giants Carrefour and Mercadona and some of the region's most prominent energy and industry projects companies among the firm's key clients. Public law expert Alfredo Fernández Rancaño co-ordinates the practice with support from David Sanz Pérez, a key contact in the Barcelona office, and principal associate Victoria Esteban who is praised as a 'brilliant professional'. Luis González García joined Watson Farley & Williams LLP in September 2020.
Alfredo Fernández Rancaño
Other key lawyers:
David Sanz Pérez; Victoria Esteban
‘Superiors know the strengths of their team, motivating and taking advantage of these qualities. The team complements each other by working in unison, with the same objective. Good internal communication and training. Excellent practice and technical knowledge.’
‘Victoria Esteban is a brilliant professional, a great leader respected by her workers, committed, serious, diligent, rigorous, focused on the client and the business, multidisciplinary, with a taste for challenges and always ready to help.’
REED SMITH LLP
CENTROS COMERCIALES CARREFOUR, S.A.
ENEL GREEN POWER IBERIA
SOCIEDAD GALLEGA DEL MEDIO AMBIENTE, S.A.
ASTURIANA DE ZINC, S.A.U.
ARCELORMITTAL ESPAÑA S.A
TARRAGONA WATER CONSORTIUM
BAKERY IBERIAN INVESTMENTS, S.L.
- Advised Bakery Iberian Investments on the operation acquisition of Siro Paterna, which operates a bread and pastry factory in Cerealto.
- Acting for Carrefour Group on ongoing environmental advisory matters, including the preparation of reports, legal opinions, administrative appeals and appeals for judicial review.
- Providing ongoing advice from an environmental point of view and, in particular, legal advice about waste management to the Sociedade Galega do Medio Ambiente (Sogama), an autonomous public company.
GTA Villamagna Abogados is a key name in the Spanish market when it comes to the environmental law implications of high-value disposals and acquisitions of industrial and energy projects. A highlight in 2020 was practice head Ernesto García-Trevijano and his team's advice to Elnosa on adapting the process of its chlorine production to the European Community rules. The wide-ranging practice is also strong on regulatory advice to local authorities, as well as environmental litigation. Public law expert Marta Plaza is a key member of the team, and Javier García represents clients in administrative and court procedures regarding environmental issues.
Other key lawyers:
Marta Plaza; Javier García
OROVALLE MINERALS, S.L.
CEMENTOS PORTLAND VALDERRIVAS, S.A.
SALMEDINA TRATAMIENTO DE RESIDUOS INERTES, S.L.
VALORIZA SERVICIOS MEDIOAMBIENTALES, S.A. – BOREMER, S.A
BANCO BILBAO VIZCAYA ARGENTARIA S.A (BBVA)
UTE CESPA GESTIÓN DE RESIDUOS, S.A. – ADALMO, S.L.
ELECTROQUÍMICA DEL NOROESTE, S.A.U (ELNOSA)
TÉCNICA Y NATURALEZA, S.A.
OROVALLE MINERALS, S.L.
- Advising Valle del Guadiana on the environmental administrative proceeding needed to transform the use of a land plot of 600 ha. from forestall use to agricultural use in the province of Huelva.
- Acting for the temporary business association formed by Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales and Boremer on legal issues connected with the construction and operation of a thermal sludge drying unit located in Madrid.
- Advising Elnosa, a Spanish company in the chlorine industry, in connection with the adaption of its production process to the European Community rules.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
With particular expertise in the energy, mining, real estate, infrastructure and insurance sectors, Herbert Smith Freehills LLP fields an environment practice that is well versed in industrial and energy projects and related M&A. Practice head Iria Calviño was promoted to partner in May 2020 and is an expert in renewable energies, soil contamination, industrial projects with major environmental implications, and related permits and litigation. Ignacio Paz is heavily involved in the practice as an infrastructure, energy and natural resources partner, while Miguel Riaño is involved in cross-border and domestic transactions. Esther Lumbreras stands out at the senior associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Ignacio Paz; Miguel Riaño; Esther Lumbreras
Cobre Las Cruces
Celulosas de Asturias
- Assisted Berkeley Minera España in several contentious administrative appeals related to obtaining a wide range of permits for starting the mining works of its uranium mine.
- Advising Iberdrola Generación and Iberdrola Renovables Energía on the administrative appeals and the contentious administrative proceedings related to the review of public concessions where some hydroelectric plants are located as a consequence of the entry into force of Royal Decree 1/2016 introducing new environmental flows.
- Advised DIF Infrastructure on the review of the environmental permits granted for the operation of up to five large PPP infrastructure projects within the transport and healthcare sectors to Brookfield.
Pérez-Llorca has continued to grow its environment and climate change practice, with a number of new clients in the finance, energy, logistics and tourism industries seeking the assistance of practice heads Alberto Ibort and Vicente Estebaranz. Ibort regularly advises on waste management, water discharge, contaminated soils, environmental permits and emissions, with a recent highlight in advising Ingka Centres on the development of a strategic renewable energy project to be implemented in its sites in Spain. Estebaranz adds planning expertise to the team and has over 18 years' experience in public law. The firm also benefits from a group of experienced senior associates, including José del Saz-Orozco.
Vicente Estebaranz; Alberto Ibort
Other key lawyers:
José del Saz-Orozco; Clara Carazo
El Rincón de El Alberche
- Advising Aena on the environmental status of Son Sant Joan Airport (Mallorca) and Costa del Sol Airport (Málaga).
- Acting for Ingka Centres on the environmental law issues of its developments located in Spain.
- Assisting Suez on the status of 275+ water treatment facilities located across the country, in 250+ municipalities from 15 of the 17 autonomous regions in Spain.
Under the banner of its urbanism and environment practice, ECIJA fields a team focused on the environmental impact of development projects, and which also has particular strength in assisting public bodies on environment legislation. An 'expert in the field', Víctor Moralo is the key contact, experienced in advising multinationals on the environmental aspects of their operations in Spain, as well as counting a number of regional governments among his clients. Urban planning lawyer Juan Carlos Cardoso is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Juan Carlos Cardoso; Jordi Bonet
‘The office shows a total disposition to attend the client’s needs. Given their knowledge of the regulations, what is relevant is to explain well the project being managed, the operation of the organization behind the project, and to be guided by their deep knowledge of the matter. It is important to point out that it is an office with which it is very accessible and receptive to customer comments and opinions.’
‘I think Écija is a very important external advisor on the development of environmental regulations. It s also worth mentioning that they give advice to multinational companies and global NGO’s, a fact that I take as a proof of their international exposure.’
‘I know Víctor Moralo for many years and I consider him a trusted legal advisor. This was before he started to specialize on environmental law and now I consider him an expert on the field.’
‘Victor Moralo clearly sticks out, from his knowledge on environmental issues, from the capability to think beyond the legal aspect, and to put his advice in a strategic context. When there are legal roadblocks, he does not only identify them, but immediately aims to find ways to bypass them by finding other ways. He has no problem to get involved in politics and to think like a politician if needed. He is the perfect legal sparring partner with an outstanding integrity and willingness to support anytime with the best he can.’
‘I would highlight the great experience they show in environmental developments advising public bodies.’
‘My relationship has been with Víctor Moralo Iza. He is a person of such efficiency and commitment to the client as I have not met another in my professional career. His great capacity for work, together with his deep knowledge and the deployment of means that he makes available to clients, generates a climate of absolute trust that guarantees the success of any entrusted management.’
‘The collaboration and speed of response has been magnificent. Especially in the way of transmitting the answers that have been made in a simple and understandable way for people who are not experts in law.’
‘Victor Moralo – During the time that we have worked together, he has not only been a professional advisor, but has also managed to connect and understand the interests of his client, which is noticeable when preparing writings, reports, etc… That in addition to the necessary technicalities, gives them a very important human touch.’
Atletico de Madrid Football Club
Artificial Intelligence Structures
Waste management and the environmental elements of urban planning projects are the standout strengths of EY Abogados' environment team, which sits within the firm's wider public law department. The expansion plans of a theme park in Madrid and the implementation of a waste treatment plant in A Coruña were two standout matters advised on by the firm in 2020, led by department head Ana López Muiña.
Ana López Muiña
Other key lawyers:
Susana Orgillés Mañas
‘The differential factor for us is knowledge of the environment and coordination in the office of the assigned partner with other areas that can fundamentally affect our commercial and labor activity.’
‘Our relationship is fundamentally with Ana López Muiña, due to her knowledge of the legislation on waste management and especially of the operational processes of recycling, transportation and storage of waste. Understanding of our activity, predisposition and participation in the face of challenges.’
‘In the past, we have worked with the professional who leads the practice, demonstrating a solid knowledge of our operations as well as those issues that concern us most. We are dealing with a team that studies the client’s business in depth, which allows a better analysis of legal risks and more efficient advice.’
‘We are before a team with an exquisite treatment and absolute availability to comment on the development of the work and review the final result.’
INTACTA GESTIÓN AMBIENTAL
COMISIÓN GESTORA NUEVO APD8 LAS MARÍAS
ARIMA REAL ESTATE SOCIMI
ENGEL & VÖLKERS
KNOWMAD REAL ESTATE
- Advising Gestan Medioambiental on the environmental authorisation process for the implementation of a waste treatment plant in A Coruña, Spain.
- Assisting Coexpan to obtain all the required environmental authorisations for the implementation of an industrial project in Alcalá de Henares, Madrid.
- Advising Parques Reunidos on obtaining all environmental authorisations and urban planning licences regarding the enlargement of Warner Park in Madrid, with a strong environmental impact from the archaeological point of view.
PwC Tax & Legal Services
Waste management is a particular area of strength at PwC Tax & Legal Services. Pablo Baquero Sánchez now leads on many of the firm's environmental law matters following the departure of Arancha Bengoechea in 2020. The team often advises on regulatory initiatives, and counts a number of government bodies among its clients. Baquero is well versed in water legislation, industrial environmental law, environmental assessments, protected species and climate change. Senior associate Ana Orondo Iglesias is a key member of the team.
Pablo Baquero Sánchez; Fernando Calancha Marzana
Other key lawyers:
Ana Orondo Iglesias
‘The proximity of the professionals, their involvement and their speed of response. I especially want to highlight the qualities of Pablo Baquero Sánchez: an excellent lawyer with extensive knowledge in the environment and climate change sectors, who has powerful experience in the sector having developed part of his professional career as legal advisor and Chief of Cabinet at the Secretary of State for the Environment.’
‘They are professionals with high technical competencies and very proactive, who know very well the activity we carry out, which is vital for the proper development of its functions. The comparison is very satisfactory due to the specific knowledge they have in water matters and because of their experience in dealing with the different public administrations, experiences that are not easily accessible in the market.’
‘It is a highly specialized team in water matters and that knows very well the legal regime and institutional position of the irrigation communities and the central irrigation boards. This knowledge, as well as the experience of Pablo Baquero Sánchez, make PwC a differential firm. Another element to underline is that they offer us a transversal service that is not limited only to the issues of the specialty, but to any other legal matter connected with the environmental or water issues.’
‘Great experience in environmental issues, with great knowledge of the administrations.’
‘They are a team, very real and expert vision. Fernando Calancha and very singularly Pablo Baquero stand out.’
DISA Holding Energético
Coca Cola European Partner Iberia
Sindicato Central de Regantes del Acueducto
Consorcio de Aguas de Asturias
Consorcio de Gestión de Residuos
Autoridad Portuaria de Gijón
- Assisting Coca Cola European Partners Iberia on a project consisting of the design and development of a regulation observatory aimed at anticipating all legislative initiatives with impact on the Coca Cola business.
- Advised Ambilamp in the preparation of the specifications for the contracting of the lamp waste management plants for the next four years.
- Acting for Consorcio de Aguas de Asturias (CADASA) on environmental contracting in respect to preparation for the tender for the water sanitation service in Asturias.
Ramón y Cajal Abogados is specialised in monitoring environmental, land-use planning and urban planning regulations with an impact on land ownership or the development of economic activities. To this end, it has capabilities in litigation and advisory matters, and the practice is jointly led by Joaquín García Bernaldo de Quirós and Enrique Molina, whose clients span a range of sectors and also include landowners and city councils.
Joaquín García Bernaldo de Quirós; Enrique Molina
‘The team has excellent technical knowledge and extensive experience in complex environmental issues, which combined with its pragmatic approach greatly facilitates internal decision making and facilitates the follow-up of matters by the client.’
‘Joaquín García Bernaldo de Quirós – his availability, ease of synthesizing complex issues, technical knowledge and experience are certainly a plus.’
ALMERÍA GYPSUM LTD., A SUBSIDIARY OF THE ETEX GROUP
CITY COUNCIL OF ALHAURÍN DE LA TORRE
CITY COUNCIL OF MOJÁCAR
APPA (RENEWABLE ENERGIES ASSOCIATION)
ASSOCIATION OF OWNERS OF “LOS CARRILES” OF ALCOBENDAS
ASSOCIATION OF OWNERS OF THE ISLAND “VALDECAÑAS”.
APESAL (ASOCIACIÓN DE PROPIETARIOS DE ESTACIONES DE SERVICIO DE AMERÍA)
- Represented the owners of La Isla de Valdecañas Association in the Court of Justice to avoid the demolition of the buildings built on the island of Valdecañas.
- Acted for Almería Gypsum on different procedures related to the resolution of the “Junta de Andalucía” (Public Administration), not to renew the concession of a quarry in Almería..
- Represented Apesal in the Court of Justice in order to obtain the licenses to open different installations or avoid competitors opening new gas stations without the legal requirements, especially the environmental ones, and licenses.