The 'brilliant’ Burges Salmon LLP is ‘packed with wise and knowledgeable individuals'. The broad practice has particular experience in the renewable energy and telecoms sectors, as well as specialising in property insolvency and estate advice. Professional negligence and alternative dispute resolution expert James Sutherland acts in a range of real estate and insolvency litigation. He leads a team that includes 'main man’ Richard Bedford, who ‘gives good, considered and experienced advice' on all aspects of freehold and leasehold disputes.
Property litigation in South West
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of current and historic issues relevant to our property asset base’
‘Responsive to requests for advice and support’
‘Advice is always helpful, succinct and pragmatic’
‘Richard Bedford is extremely approachable and is happy to act as a single point of contact’
‘They understand what we are trying to achieve and don’t make things more complicated than they need to be’
‘We trust their advice and they make our working lives easier’
‘Chris Preston is approachable and down to earth whilst also being technically very good’
‘Here, you find old fashioned expertise and experience, coupled with a willingness to research points in depth – a vanishing commodity in London, where the pursuit of the fast buck has taken over’
‘Richard Bedford and James Sutherland are both superlative: wise beyond measure, tenacious, methodical and clever’
‘A well-respected firm with a good property function that is renowned throughout’
Eden Investments SarL/Edward Starling and Philip Matthews (Wedlake Bell) as LPA Receivers
The Crown Estate
Louth Market Auctioneers
Affinity Water Limited
Canal & River Trust
Cobham Group of Companies
The Crown Estate
Sutton Harbour Holdings
Transport for Wales
- Acted for Affinity Water in the successful defence of a trespass claim against part of a key water network.
- Advised the LPA receivers and Eden Investments on a significant damages claim against Sainsbury’s relating to the breach of a keep open covenant in a shopping centre, where Sainsbury’s was the anchor tenant.
- Acted for Louth Market Auctioneers in successfully resolving contested lease renewal proceedings relating to one of the oldest trading livestock markets in the UK
The ‘responsive and quick-footed’ Osborne Clarke acts in complex development disputes and key landlord and tenant matters, as well as advising on risk mitigation, management and property-related regulation. The firm also provides expertise in the energy utilities, telecoms and infrastructure areas. Practice head Leona Briggs focuses on disputes arising under the Electronic Communications Code and contractual disputes relating to residential and commercial developments. Notable in her team is David Shakesby, who specialises in property-related energy and infrastructure disputes, primarily acting for utility companies and developers in the renewables sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘This team are proactive, extremely knowledgeable and respond to our business needs promptly’
‘This team have a common-sense approach which is tailored to the specific needs of our business’
‘The have a good understanding of how our business operates and provide legal assistance and advice appropriately’
‘Their willingness to get stuck in and get under the skin of a matter has not only been great, but also a breath of fresh air’
‘They have provided us with a dedicated client team who work hard to make themselves an extension of our in-house legal team so that they can provide that deeper level of insight, knowledge and support to the wider business’
Vodafone Ltd/Vodafone Enterprise UK and CTIL
BDW Trading Ltd
Western Power Distribution (South West), (South Wales), (East Midlands) and (West Midlands) Plc
HHGL Ltd (formerly Homebase)
Wales & West Utilities Ltd
Marks and Spencer Plc
CBRE Global Investors
- Acting for Cornerstone in the Upper Tribunal in novel litigation over the Electronic Communications Code concerning a new site.
- Representing Western Power Distribution in a high-profile dispute with Network Rail over the costs of diverting or altering overhead electricity lines caused by Network Rail plans.
- Assisting BDW Trading Ltd and Ward Homes Ltd with safeguarding a £75 million development by fending off two attempts to reclassify a site as a town or village green.
The 'truly excellent litigation team' at Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP is experienced in handling residential, agricultural and commercial property disputes, particularly matters in the retail and telecoms sectors. Newcastle-based Jen Smurthwaite co-leads the team with James Rees, who works from the Bristol office and is known for complex real estate disputes relating to Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1954 lease renewals and terminations, dilapidations and restrictive covenants. Also notable are the ‘experienced, client-friendly and effective' Sasha Hinton, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and acts for public and private sector clients, and managing associate Naomi Cunningham, who focuses on development work.
‘Highly professional team that deliver excellent advice and support to our property department’
‘Very efficient both in terms of communication and resourcing’
‘Sasha Hinton provides excellent communication and support over a wide range of matters. Her dispute resolution and advice have been particularly helpful and we are yet to have an issue even on minor points’
‘Very knowledgable and efficient’
‘Naomi Cunningham and Ella Carroll are a delight to work with – quick, efficient, knowledgable and commercial’
‘The firm has great national coverage’
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
Ministry of Justice (Estates Directorate)
New Look Retailers Limited
River Island Clothing Co. Limited
National Farmers Union
Ashfords LLP acts for commercial landlords and tenants, as well as advising lenders on commercial properties. The firm’s expertise includes complex development work, leasehold enfranchisement matters and professional negligence claims. In addition, the practice provides particular experience in the telecoms space. Sian Gibbon leads the team and is known for acting on contentious property matters for commercial and public sector clients. Also recommended are Rob Nicholson, who specialises in dilapidations, partnership disputes and injunction claims; James Hemsley, who focuses on contentious property and property insolvency matters; and associate Marjorie Batten, who acts for residential and commercial landlords and tenants. Paul Dunbar left for Winckworth Sherwood LLP in 2019.
‘They are a highly capable property litigation team with strengths in mortgage litigation and repossession actions’
‘James Hemsley is a practical, experienced and hands-on partner with very good tactical and commercial sense for complex mortgage litigation’
‘Sophie Michaelides is a highly effective associate: very conscientious, with great attention to detail’
Wainhomes (South West) Holdings Limited
Biffa Waste Services Limited
Persimmon Homes Limited
London Borough of Wandsworth
11-13 Randolph Crescent Limited
CDS (Superstores International) Limited
Courtenay Investments Limited
London Borough of Southwark
Brick by Brick Limited
- Advised the London Borough of Newham on a claim that was made by the freeholder of the client’s premises for permission to forfeit the client’s lease as a result of alleged disrepair/dilapidations.
- Acting for the London Boroughs of Wandsworth and Richmond upon Thames on all non-routine litigation matters, including residential possession actions, leasehold matters, homelessness reviews, disrepair claims, judicial reviews, commercial lease disputes, management and telecoms issues.
- Successfully acted for CDS (Superstores International) Limited in litigation against its landlord relating to the discovery of asbestos in commercial premises in the North West.
Active in public and private sector matters, Bevan Brittan LLP specialises in advising health, local government and social housing organisations on a range of property disputes. The firm’s experience includes dealing with the removal of telecoms operators from land, dilapidations disputes and LTA 1954 claims. Practice head Steve Eccles focuses on residential and commercial property issues, primarily representing local authorities and NHS bodies across the country, as well as social housing providers.
University of Oxford
Canal & River Trust
NHS Property Services Limited
Places for People Group
London Borough of Brent
London Borough of Hounslow
Stratford-on-Avon District Council
London & Quadrant
Plymouth Community Homes
London Borough of Hackney
London Borough of Greenwich
- Successfully acted for Stratford-on-Avon District Council in contested mortgage enforcement proceedings against a landowner regarding ownership of a leisure centre site in Alcester.
- Acting as the main appointed property litigation solicitors to NHS Property Services Limited across its £4bn property portfolio.
- Acting for Places for People Group on a variety of property litigation matters, including conducting ongoing litigation over whether a site is held subject to beneficial interests, and issues concerning the new Electronic Communications Code.
Clarke Willmott LLP represents property investors, house builders, retail and social housing organisations in a range of issues, as well as acting for land owners in litigation against telecoms operators. Chris Taylor leads the national team and advises on issues including overage, options and rights affecting development, as well as specialising in professional negligence claims relating to the property industry.
‘No matter how complex the dispute, Neil Ham (partner), remains on top of the detail whilst not losing focus on the end objective. He demonstrates his understanding of our business in the substance and manner of his advice. A pleasure to work with.’
London & Quadrant Housing
Bath and North East Somerset Council
- Acting for Mapeley on the outsourced HMRC portfolio nationwide.
- Advised numerous developers in disputes with telecoms operators on removing telecoms equipment to facilitate developments nationwide in the face of changing regulations in the telecoms sector.
- Advising Celestia Management Company Limited on a multi-million pound claim requiring the repair of defects including fire safety issues at a block of flats in Cardiff, dealing with enforcement notices served by the fire authority and claims against the contractors and their insurers.
The ‘responsive, practical and knowledgeable’ Foot Anstey is a ‘delight to work with’ and provides expertise in commercial, agricultural and residential disputes, as well as a dedicated telecoms sub-team. Practice head Patrick Wetherall has ‘excellent commercial instincts’ and experience in acting for property owners, landlords and tenants. Richard Bagwell left for Stephens Scown LLP in 2019.
‘Patrick Weatherall can be relied on to get his clients the best possible result in any property-related dispute. He is an excellent team leader who gets the best out of his talented team’
‘One of the pre-eminent firms in the South West in this area’
‘When I have had the opportunity I have been pleased to refer clients to the firm’
‘Edward Venmore is a highly effective lawyer who leaves no stone unturned to secure the best possible result for clients’
‘Deep working knowledge of clients and in property litigation’
‘The team provides pragmatic and clear guidance and their expertise helps unlock long-running issues’
‘Anna Phillips takes the time to get to know clients and to find solutions to their unique sets of problems and challenges. She responds immediately to help sort out difficult matters and is always looking for the best value of her input’
‘They hold a wealth of agriculturally related expertise that is trusted and professional’
‘They are not only professional but personable, set great stock in investing in long-term relationships and taking time to understand our business needs’
‘David Benjamin is a safe pair of hands on the property litigation side’
Save the Children
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Acting for Ashfield Provincial Properties Limited in relation to a claim brought against it by a national housebuilder in the High Court. The claim related to a dispute under a collaboration agreement for prime multimillion-pound development land.
- Acting for Tin Choy Chan in relation to a claim brought against the client by a telecoms operator (Arqiva Limited) in the Upper Tribunal.
- Acting for the National Farmers’ Union in respect of any claim made by operators against its members regarding the imposition of code rights pursuant to the Electronic Communications Code.
Stephens Scown LLP
The ‘highly competent and experienced’ Stephens Scown LLP provides a ‘broad practice with a good range of specialisms across its offices’. The firm has experience in social housing, estate work, rural agricultural issues and a range of transactional matters. In addition, the practice has expertise in property litigation related to the mines and minerals sector. The ‘very experienced and highly disciplined’ Richard Bagwell leads the team and brings his ‘keen eye for detail' to a range of contentious property issues. He joined in 2019 from Foot Anstey, as did senior associate Tracy Bailey, who has a particular specialism in issues relating to residential long leasehold property.
‘Stephens Scown is a very dedicated and hardworking practice which is pre-eminent in the South West’
‘Tracy Bailey is a very competent and accessible associate’
‘Michael Davies who really knows his stuff and is a real pleasure to deal with’
‘They combine great advice with a commercial attitude to sorting out matters’
‘Ian Thomas and Helen Thomas are efficient and extremely competent and quick to respond to telephone calls and emails’
‘All the individuals I have dealt with have displayed an in-depth knowledge of their subjects, together with the ability to apply that knowledge effectively’
‘Richard Bagwell is the standout practitioner. A highly experienced litigator, with a great understanding of the commercial reality of the litigation proposed’
‘Richard Bagwell gives detailed, confident and comprehensive advice without the frustration of delay because his legal knowledge base is so good – if only all lawyers were like Richard’
Imerys Minerals Limited
Pennon Group PLC
Hastoe Housing Association Limited
Spectrecom Films Limited
Charles Robertsons Developments Limited
Stillman’s (Somerset) Limited
Ivybridge Town Council
- Acted for Kivells Limited on a substantial claim in the High Court against Torridge District Council relating to design and build of a waste water treatment system at Holsworthy Agri-Business Centre.
- Acting for CDVB as the business tenant of a historic seafront café in Teignmouth after the landlord, Teignbridge District Council, sought to oppose the lease renewal and to prevent CDVB re-entering.
- Advising Stillman’s (Somerset) Limited, an Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenant, on challenging a Case B notice served by the landlord, which is seeking possession of the land with a view to then developing it or selling to developers.
TLT has particular experience in property litigation in the leisure, retail, clean energy, financial services, real estate and public sectors. The firm acts in landlord and tenant disputes, including rent reviews, lease renewals and contractual disputes, as well as giving strategic advice on the management of property portfolios. Mark Routley leads the team and has a particular focus on advising clients in the retail, leisure and financial sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The litigation team in Bristol is good at supporting team members on matters’
‘Cases can be passed from one team member to another pretty seamlessly’
‘They offer practical and commercial advice and will often assist with decision making’
Southern Housing Group Limited (SHG)
SHAL Housing Limited
Cornerstone Telecommunications Infrastructure Limited
- Advised Greene King on the Pubs Code and its application to tied tenancies since its inception in 2015.
- Acted for WHSmith in a successful claim in nuisance for damages caused by water entering one of its stores from a rooftop car park above.
- Acting for telecoms operator Cornerstone in connection with a reference to the Upper Tribunal for the permanent right to erect telecoms equipment (by the grant of a code agreement) on an existing site which is already being occupied by Vodafone Limited.
Well regarded for its 'attention to detail and perseverance', VWV provides 'pragmatic advice in plain English'. The firm focuses on assisting education, charity and religious institutions in a range of property disputes. Clients also include developers and GPs, with the team noted for acting in matters related to changes in the NHS property funding arrangements. Michelle Bendall leads the team, which also includes Daniel Hall, who specialises in landlord, tenant and freehold development disputes.
‘Engaged and interested in the client’
‘The team are very knowledgeable on a technical level, but don’t overuse jargon and ensure you fully understand the legal implications of what is proposed on a case-by-case basis’
‘They are patient and understanding of our culture and reflect our values in the way they work with us’
‘Greg Walsh is excellent in his knowledge, flexibility and empathy with our business. He has got to know the portfolio well and is very calm and approachable for all sorts of queries’
‘Georgina Little is helpful and knowledgeable’
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
United Reformed Church
Diocese of Truro
University of Bristol
- Representing Berkhamsted Schools Group in its defence of an action taken by local residents to register a public right of way across the school’s playing field.
- Advising PwC in relation to the management of its estate in England and Wales, dealing with breaks, lease renewals, dilapidations and yielding up obligations.
- Advising the University of Bristol on LTA 1954 and relocations issues, as well as acting for the client in the removal of trespassers.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
Known for its expertise in the shopping centre and retail sectors, DAC Beachcroft LLP also has experience handling lease renewals under the LTA 1954. The firm acts in property disputes for commercial occupiers and owners from a range of fields, particularly the finance, public and health sectors. Nick Knapman leads the team and specialises in real estate dispute resolution and lease advisory work.
‘First rate lawyers with a breadth of knowledge.’
‘Nick Knapman – an excellent lawyer with measured good sense Tessa Rooke – very able Helen Staines – easy to work with.’
Crest Nicholson plc
AXA Insurance UK plc
Bellway Homes Limited
Zurich Insurance plc
St James’s Place Wealth Management Group Limited
Deeley Freed Estates Limited
- Acting for Westfield on contentious asset management issues relating to Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City.
- Acting for Zurich in respect of the asset management of its UK office portfolio, covering both lease renewals and issues relating to the termination of leases.
- Handling the full range of contentious property work for Intu Properties plc relating to the Merry Hill shopping centre in the West Midlands.
Real estate specialist Davitt Jones Bould acts on the full spectrum of litigation in the area, including matters relating to the leisure sector, public bodies and individuals. Practice head Madeleine Davitt can call on the expertise of Maeve Bonner, who has experience in judicial reviews and lease arguments, and Jan Puvi, who represents public and private sector clients. Also notable is Jonathan Warner-Reed, who joined from Lupton Fawcett in 2019 and brings experience in the leisure sector.
‘Strong experience working with government departments’
‘Jan Puvi is an excellent litigator, with a proactive approach to her work’
‘Robin de Wreede is an excellent CPO and planning lawyer who I rate very highly indeed’
The Royal Parks
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Department for Education (DfE)
Attorney General’s Office
Department of Health
Office for National Statistics
Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
Public Health England
Rick Stein’s Seafood Restaurants
Exeter Science Park
Bath and North East Somerset Council
Devon County Council
Minerva Smart Cities
One Housing Group
- Advised Defra in both a defendant and claimant capacity on matters ranging from contentious lease renewals and dilapidations negotiations to complex advisory work relating to statutory compensation.
- Advised The Royal Parks on all of the contentious issues relating to Hyde Park, St James’s Park, Kensington Gardens, Richmond Park and more.
- Advised on numerous contentious property issues to arise out of Well Pharmacy’s estate.
Lester Aldridge LLP specialises in acting for port and marina-based landlords, as well as telecoms providers in contentious site-related issues. Kate Stewart leads the practice and acts primarily in development work, particularly representing household developer clients in matters including contract disputes, the infringement of restrictive covenants and overage disputes.
Marina Developments Limited
Big Yellow Self Storage Company
McCarthy & Stone Retirement Lifestyles Limited
Michelmores LLP acts for developers and landowners, handling claims to rights of way, title disputes, overage agreements, drainage rights and nuisance claims. The firm also has experience advising high-net-worth individuals, family-owned businesses and corporate occupiers. Practice head Andrew Baines specialises in landlord and tenant disputes, property ownership and property rights. His team was boosted in 2019 by the arrival of senior associate Charlotte Curtis, who joined from OTB Eveling and brings knowledge of residential long leasehold work.
Other key lawyers:
‘I received excellent, courteous and prompt attention throughout the case. As a (retired )lawyer I like to think I am well able to judge the qualities in other lawyers. The team impressed me as knowing their stuff, capable of responding to my questions, and well on top of the issues involved. The advice concerned potential litigation over some land. They advised on the likely chances of success, the likely costs involved and how best to achieve a favourable result without the risk and expense of litigation. And in the end this is precisely what happened. I also thought their charges were pitched at a reasonable level.’
‘I have described the service that I received. It was supplied by Andrew Baines (a partner) and his assistant, Charlotte Curtis. Over and above the service they supplied they came across as very nice and friendly. What more can a client ask for?‘
Persimmon Homes Ltd
Mole Valley Farmers Ltd
Saba Park Services UK Ltd
Vistra Trust Company Ltd
Kingsbridge Estates Ltd Pension Trust
Mike Corby Management Ltd
- Provided ongoing advice to Stanhope Plc in relation to property issues arising with the redevelopment of the former BBC Television Centre.
- Representing Saba Park Services in an ongoing arbitration over the renewal terms of the lease of the client’s Mayfair underground car park.
- Advising a private trust over mineral and access rights concerning a quarry and potential redevelopment site, which is of high value as a possible rail depot connected with HS2.
At Stone King LLP, disputes and litigation head Tony Pidgeon has a specialism in commercial property related disputes, working with clients in sectors including the firm's key areas of education and charity. Recent work of note has included breach of trust claims, dilapidations claims and disputes concerning rights to light.
Other key lawyers:
National Heritage Memorial Fund
Notre Dame de France
Thrings LLP acts on a range of contentious issues, including corporate occupier and commercial landlord and tenant disputes, with a focus on office premises. The firm also advises on long leasehold enfranchisement, property management and rent renewal matters. Warren Reid leads the team and has expertise in property portfolio management, commercial landlord and tenant disputes, and common law and statutory property claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Where disputes occur, Michael Tatters strikes the right balance between litigation and common sense commerciality’
MAN Truck & Bus UK Limited
BAM Nuttall Limited
Arkells Brewery Limited
Airsprung Group PLC
St John’s Foundation
Malcolm Hollis LLP
Countrywide Estate Agents (formerly Hamptons International)
The Willats Trust
Chippenham Borough Land Charity
Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
- Advising the Brandon Trust on its property portfolio, including in particular lease renewals under the LTA 1954, and development of land and breach of tenant’s covenant issues.
- Advising Learndirect on its national portfolio, involving premises in London, Birmingham, Leicester, Plymouth, Bristol, Nottingham and Stoke, in relation to numerous and complex break notices and dilapidation claims.
- Advising St John’s Foundation on its property investment portfolio, including breach of covenant matters, insolvency, dilapidation claims, lease renewals and other commercial landlord and tenant property management issues.
The ‘friendly, approachable and professional’ Charles Russell Speechlys LLP has particular expertise in residential and agricultural property issues, notably acting for estate clients. The firm also acts on lease renewals under the LTA 1954, dilapidations and break notices. David Haines is an ‘expert litigator with finesse’ and co-leads the practice with the ‘first-rate’ Emma Humphreys.
‘The real estate team demonstrate strength and depth in all property-related matters’
‘They are the go-to team for CPO work, as well as having huge experience in dealing with contentious work related to farms and private estates’
‘Standout individuals must be David Haines at partner level and senior associate Richard Flenley’
‘Charles Russell Speechlys have a unique presence as an office of an international firm in Cheltenham. Their location means that they are able to give local expertise with access to international experience’
‘Emma Preece is diligent, thoughtful and mindful of her client’s needs’
‘The service is always of a very high standard. The property team’s knowledge base is wide and deep, and it has the resources to deal with heavy litigation’
‘David Haines is very well regarded, extremely capable and has experience in almost all areas of property litigation, and knows how to get the best out of his team whilst maintaining a calm and friendly atmosphere’
Woodchester Valley Freehold Limited
Hackney Joint Estate Charity
- Advised Woodchester Valley Freehold Limited, a mutually owned retirement village, in connection with a protracted boundary dispute with its neighbours and alleged trespass.
- Assisted Hackney Joint Estate Charity in connection with the forfeiture of a commercial lease on the basis of rent arrears and breach of user covenant.
Coodes Solicitors has experience across the full spectrum of commercial and personal property litigation, including adverse possession claims, landlord and tenant disputes and commercial property dilapidations claims. Personal disputes expert Melanie Grose co-leads the team with Abi Lutey, who focuses on commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Coodes provide assistance across the whole range of legal issues, both contentious and non-contentious. They are a genuine one-stop shop’
‘Hayley Gaffney is fierce on behalf of her clients but a pleasure to work with’
‘Ben Sidgwick thinks like a military strategist and is a sharp tactician. His mind is not just erudite and very quick, but broad and decisive’
‘Easily approachable, friendly staff’
‘Darren Higginson truly understood the issue as I saw it’
Cornwall Touring Park
- Acted on behalf of Cornwall Touring Park to revoke a licence and serve a notice to quit licence to occupy upon tenants.
Boutique commercial property management firm Estate Legal handles a ‘wide variety of property-related disputes’, including matters relating to factory and office dilapidations, long leases of stately homes and trust property. The team is co-led by Bonnie Martin and Amy Rudrum, who are ‘renowned as two of the best in the business as property litigators’.
‘This specialist firm underlines the point that legal representation is only as good as the individuals concerned, however large the firm’
‘Bonnie Martin and Amy Rudrum have the experience and expertise to give their clients a really excellent personal and professional service’
‘Bonnie Martin is first class’
‘Amy Rudrum was an exceptional professional – very resourceful when litigating on our behalf, looking at every single aspect of the lease and how we could benefit and how we could be protected in an unknown world of legal terms, clauses and also traps that could easily be ignored if not put under her scrutiny’
‘Bonnie Martin oversaw our entire process, giving advice and support. The end result was to our entire satisfaction’
‘Bonnie Martin provides clear and helpful advice that is delivered on time and in accordance with original fee quotations’
‘Amy Rudrum is very responsive and has a detailed understanding of MRO issues’
‘You get top-notch advice and they are always there to respond in person’
‘Estate Legal concentrate purely on litigation for property matters, which ensures that their services are not diluted and their experience and knowledge is targeted to create a credible property litigation support service’
‘They are aware of client concerns regarding matters proceeding to litigation in terms of risk, cost and potential outcome and they always provide unequivocal advice as to the chances of success or not’
‘Bonnie Martin is very proactive, helpful and diligent. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience. I will always prefer her to be on my side than on the opposing side’
The Rank Group, including Grosvenor Casino and Mecca Bingo
The Restaurant Group, including Frankie & Benny’s, Garfunkels and Brunning & Price
Property Investment Companies, including Brymain Investments Limited, Claverton Estates Limited, Pang Property Investments, Stevens Properties Limited and Principality Holdings Limited
Daniel Thwaites Plc
Momentum Global Investment Management Limited
Taunton Racecourse Company Limited
Stanford Marsh Group Ltd
Abbey Industrial (Holdings) Limited & Jewel Abrasives Limited
Bristol School of Performing Arts
- Successfully acted for Bristol School of Performing Arts in relation to a fraudulent transfer of a substantial building.
- Advised Momentum Global Investment Management Limited in relation to a conditional break option, where its ongoing rental liability under the lease would be several millions of pounds if the break option was not successfully exercised.
- Advised Daniel Thwaites Plc, as landlord, in relation to the enforceability of a tenant’s minimum purchasing obligations under some of its leases.
Laceys Solicitors LLP
The ‘straightforward and practical’ Laceys Solicitors LLP provides 'excellent legal advice', particularly in commercial and residential property disputes. The firm also has expertise in issues related to blocks of flats and freehold property disputes. The ‘always contactable, pragmatic and reliable’ Mark Timberlake heads the practice.
‘Mark Timberlake is strongly recommended for any commercial property work’
‘They provide an open, broad-minded and informative approach to handling many of the myriad of issues we have presented them with’
‘Mark Timberlake is very commercial and is always available’
‘The Laceys team worked very hard in coordinating every department to get to the bottom of my case’
‘They exude confidence, professionalism and clarity’
Admirals Walk 2000 Limited
Pardoes Solicitors LLP
Pardoes Solicitors LLP acts for private individuals, owner managers, directors and farmers, as well as being increasingly active in commercial property litigation. The ‘extremely knowledgeable’ Bhavani Hogarty leads the team and is a commercial property litigation expert.
‘Nigel Kinder is extremely hardworking and thorough. He always puts his client’s interests first and will go the extra mile’
‘Bhavani Hogarty is always absolutely dedicated to trying to obtain the best result for her clients, and has excellent instincts with property litigation’
‘The team appeared to be well co-ordinated with quick and simple responses to our queries. They were friendly, polite and easily accessible and instilled confidence by being professional’
‘Bhavni Hogarty was very reassuring and explained our situation very clearly and simply so that we could make informed choices. Her legal assistant Sasha Loveridge made sure we were kept apprised of any and all developments with our case. Both were friendly and easy to contact and talk to’
Steele Raymond LLP’s practice covers the spectrum of commercial and residential property litigation, as well as providing expertise in lease extension and collective enfranchisement matters. Senior associate Hannah Dare leads the team, which was boosted by the 2019 arrival of senior associate Amelia Williams from Lester Aldridge LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Bournemouth Churches Housing Association
Goadsby Estate Agents
Grange Mill Investments Limited
South Somerset District Council
Betting Shop Limited
South Coast Caterers Limited
Pennyfarthing Homes Limited
Known for commercial leasehold work, Willans LLP acts for retail property, manufacturing and industrial sector clients in a range of disputes. Areas of strength include dilapidation claims, acting primarily for landlords, and contested renewal work. Nick Cox leads the team and has particular expertise in commercial landlord and tenant law.
‘Efficient, focused and professional’
‘Nick Cox is honest and objective’
Rudgeway Farms Limited
Shelter the National Campaign for Homeless People Limited
The Jockey Club Racecourses Limited
The Trustees of the Haie Estate
Eastnor Castle Estate
Whittington Maintenance Trust
Princess Alice Hospice
Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway
Lansdowne Rodway Estates/ Crown House Developments
- Acting for Sue Ryder on all issues relating to its property portfolio, primarily to protect its interests as a tenant, but also as a landlord.
- Acted for the trustees of the Haie Estate in a claim for possession of a property, which was defended on the basis that the defendant has acquired a beneficial interest in it.