Construction in South West
Acting for public and private sector clients, Bevan Brittan LLP has expertise in regeneration projects and private finance projects, as well as repair and maintenance contracts. The firm’s broad practice covers the waste, renewable energy and infrastructure sectors, including hospital estates and highways. Louise Robling specialises in renegotiation and disputes relating to private finance initiative contracts. She co-leads the team with Andrew Tobin, who focuses on non-contentious work for employer and contractor clients. Also notable is Jonathan Turner, who advises local authorities, housing associations and developers on joint venture arrangements for housing-led regeneration of urban areas.
Other key lawyers:
‘Louise Robling – Excellent grasp of all pertinent matters relevant to construction disputes and sage advisor in negotiations. She provides confidence to the whole team. Very responsive and will go the extra mile to meet clients deadlines / time constraints.’
‘Bevan Brittan advised us on a significant construction Joint Venture project. Their advice was very commercial and well appreciated.’
‘Jonathan Turner was proactive and commercial, and we valued his strategic advice in particular. Angela Lovett has also been an important part of the team.’
Catalyst Housing Association
Sovereign Housing Association
Balfour Beatty Investments
Together Housing Group
Places for People Group
South Ridge Development
Icknield Port Loop LLP
North Bristol NHS Trust
- Advised Peabody Land on the procurement of a development partner for its £8bn project for 11,500 new homes at Thames Waterfront.
- Advised the joint venture between Surrey County Council and Places for People on the procurement of the construction framework.
- Advising East Wick and Sweetwater Projects Limited on its procurement and contracting strategy for the supply chain arrangements to deliver 1,500 new homes as part of the London Olympics legacy.
The ‘quick and efficient’ Burges Salmon LLP advises public and private sector clients on a range of complex infrastructure, construction and engineering projects, including nuclear and transport matters. The firm is also experienced in disputes across the area. Construction and engineering specialist William Gard co-leads the team with Steven James, who has particular expertise in nuclear power projects. Also notable are Marcus Harling, who advises on the procurement and delivery of construction and development projects; Richard Adams, who is known for dispute resolution and transport work; and senior associate Jessica Evans, who focus on construction disputes.
‘The team at Burges Salmon have shown an ability to adapt to our negotiation style and support us’
‘Tom Weld has impressed us with his ability to understand complex technical issues and apply this to legal arguments’
‘Very committed to finding a route through the contractual requirements’
‘Quick to understand the technical implications of what they are saying’
‘The people we have dealt with are both proactive and inclusive in the discussions to find the answers’
Crown Commercial Service
Transport for London
- Advised Merseyrail on a bank of precedent framework agreements, call-off contracts and ancillary documents based on both JCT and NEC4 terms for its infrastructure enhancement works.
- Advising a major water utility in relation to works and services necessitated by the HS2 programme.
- Advising a government in the Caribbean on the delivery and procurement of a new waste-to-energy scheme and waste management system.
Experienced in contentious and non-contentious matters, Osborne Clarke acts on the supplier and purchaser side, representing developers undertaking projects as well as key contractors. The firm has expertise in renewable energy, university and social infrastructure projects, as well as advising on residential and retirement home developments. The team is co-led by Philip Davies, who focuses on construction and engineering procurement matters; Carl Thompson, who specialises in the construction of energy, transport and utilities projects; and Rob Horne, who is known for contentious work. Also notable are Alexandra Gower, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and advises on real estate and infrastructure projects, and associate director David Kirkpatrick, who acts for employers, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants.
U and I Plc
Gazeley UK Limited
Royal Bank of Scotland
Redevco UK Limited
Northacre Renewable Energy Limited
M&G Real Estate
Lifestory Group Limited (formerly Pegasus Life Limited)
Bioenergy Infrastructure Group
RKE Biogroup Ltd
- Advising Cubex Land Limited and Palmer Capital Partners Limited on all construction matters at Finzels Reach, a £200m-plus mixed-use redevelopment site in Bristol.
- Acting for Civitas Living on the successful bid for the £113m PFI project for the design, build, finance and operation of circa 1,400 new student beds at the University of York’s East Campus.
- Advising Northacre Renewable Energy Limited on the construction and all other aspects of the £180m Northacre energy-from-waste project in Wiltshire.
Ashfords LLP is well regarded for construction-related dispute resolution, notably adjudication, mediation, litigation and arbitration. The firm also has a non-contentious practice that includes acting for local authorities and developers in respect of major projects and regeneration schemes. Patrick Blake leads the team and is experienced in construction and engineering disputes in the TCC and Court of Appeal, as well as providing expertise in energy matters. Also recommended is Stephen Homer, who advises on contentious and non-contentious construction matters, covering the leisure, student accommodation, housing and energy sectors, among others.
Other key lawyers:
‘Unlike many construction lawyers they have a deep knowledge and understanding of the construction industry itself, as well as the relevant law associated with it. They react very quickly and never need to be chased. They remain a breath of fresh air when dealing with what is often a stressful situation. They are polite, friendly and always reliable.’
‘Stephen Homer and Patrick Blake are both excellent leaders. They involve themselves in the process, which is rare in my experience when dealing with partners of a company. They have an excellent training regime and it is clear that all of their associates and junior members of staff are benefiting from this.’
‘Some particular associates to mention are Lee Ward, Lianne Edwards and Ella Nyakuedzwa-Smith. All are excellent in their knowledge and ability, They will go far in their chosen career.’
Wates Construction Limited
London Borough of Hackney
Prosperity Capital Limited
The National Youth Theatre of Great Britain
Exeter City Council
Midas Construction Limited
United Living Group
The Cambridge Union Society
Navigant Europe Limited
- Advising Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust on its specialist supply contractors and minor works framework agreement.
- Advising Prosperity Cathedral View Development Limited on a dispute with a contractor regarding defects and practical completion relating to the design and construction of student accommodation blocks.
- Acting for Wates in relation to the negotiation and completion of a ten-year framework agreement for repair, maintenance and capital works.
Known for its expertise in energy, transport and infrastructure projects, Clarke Willmott LLP handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including project management, dispute resolution and mediation. The firm advises on building projects for a diverse client base, with a focus on social housing. The national construction team is co-led by Priscilla Hall, James Driver, and Zoe Stollard, who is a specialist in non-contentious construction and supply contracts. Also notable is Anna-Liisa Blanks-Walden, who has experience in resolving construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The construction team at Clarke Willmott are always friendly and responsive and have a good knowledge of our business, which is critical’
‘Good working knowledge, with prompt and pragmatic advice’
‘Zoe Stollard provides prompt and thorough responses and advice’
‘Excellent spread of knowledge, and strength in depth across a broad range of areas of the law’
‘The team is pragmatic and down to earth, giving a sense that the interests of their clients are at the heart of what they do’
‘We’ve worked particularly closely with Helen Wittram and Anna-Liisa Blanks Walden and have found both to be conscientious and tenacious, becoming our go-to legal advisers’
L&Q Group (London & Quadrant Housing & Quadrant Construction Services)
LiveWest (formerly Liverty)
Lloyds Bank PLC
Robert Hitchins Limited
Secure Trust Bank PLC
Solon South West
Stonewater Housing Association (Stonewater Ltd)
Sutton Harbour Services Limited
Michelmores LLP specialises in the construction and engineering sectors, with notable strength advising on the procurement of infrastructure projects. The practice is experienced in acting for developers, contractors, project managers, funders and public-sector authorities in a range of matters. Chris Hoar leads the team and handles transactional and contentious construction issues nationally and internationally. Also recommended are the ‘always clear and to the point’ Alan Tate, who advises public and private sector clients on transactional matters, and consultant solicitor Catherine Davis, who focuses on transactional construction work, with particular expertise in the energy sector.
‘Their knowledge is second to none and their response time is excellent to any queries we throw at them’
‘Chris Hoar and Catherine Davies provide a fantastic service to us, understand what we need as a client and advise us accordingly’
‘Alan Tate has provided timely, practical advice on a range of construction matters from disputes to contract preparation. His knowledge is excellent and he is able to explain construction law complexities in an accessible way’
Brighton & Sussex University Hospital NHS Trust
Plymouth City Council
Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
The Dartington Hall Trust
Kingsbridge Estates Limited
Magna Housing Limited
Bristol City Council
Swindon Borough Council
Midas Construction Limited
- Provided procurement advice to Brighton and Sussex University Hospital NHS Trust relating to the construction of the 3Ts hospital with a cost of £485m.
- Advising Magna Housing Limited on its five-year off-site modular housing programme of 650 properties.
- Advising Sandy Park Hotel Limited on the construction of its 250-bedroom hotel and other facilities adjacent to the Exeter Chiefs ground in Exeter.
Particularly active in the energy, higher education and public sectors, TLT advises on infrastructure projects and development schemes. The firm also handles construction and maintenance contracting for local authorities and housing associations, as well as advisory work for clients in a range of sectors, including consultants and contractors. In terms of litigation experience, the practice has expertise in adjudication and arbitration. Simon Goss leads the team and acts for service providers and users in the construction and engineering fields, including contractors, developers, governmental departments, insurers and construction professionals.
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowledgeable, responsive and able to explain complex points of litigation in a way which is easy to follow. Very good at keeping clients informed of the progress of a case, thorough attention to detail and conscientious approach to claim preparation.’
‘Tom Wrzesien (partner) and Somayah Musleh (associate) work well together, and help to consider all the tactical and procedural matters involved in a considered and cohesive way. Naturally good communicators, both are pleasant to deal with, and their written advice is comprehensive, detailed and clear.’
Swan Housing Association Limited
Bank of Baroda
NextEnergy Solar Fund (NESF)
- Advised Peabody on an acquisition of over 100 affordable homes at a new mixed-use development in Greater London.
- Advised Swan Housing Association Limited on a £30m funding from Homes England, the government’s housing delivery agency.
- Acting for Macquarie in relation to its investment into a multimillion-pound anaerobic digestion and processing facility involving a large agricultural and farming business across several land holdings.
The 'clear and balanced’ VWV provides ‘excellent communication skills' and a range of experience in construction and engineering contracts. Huw Morgan leads the practice and advises funders, building owners, developers, contractors and construction professionals. Also notable in the team are the ‘commercial and accessible' Jason Prosser, who assists with the drafting and negotiation of terms of building contracts, collateral warranties and professional appointments; senior associate Alice Lang, who has particular strength in advising property developers and education sector clients; and associate Kai von Pahlen, who joined from Thrings LLP in 2019 and brings expertise in construction disputes.
‘VWV have been a key partner in assisting us in the recovery of costs of damage to our network. Their advice and support during complex claims has been invaluable’
‘VWV have now become our key partner for legal support in our recovery of network damage and this is in no small part due to their experience, support and abilities in recovery against third parties’
‘VWV have developed a key working relationship with us that is paramount to our success, where we responsibly recover claims in a fair and transparent manner’
‘Kai von Pahlen and Jason Prosser have both been helpful and have always been available for us at short notice’
‘Alice Lang is meticulous in her approach, knowledgeable and experienced; superb in all respects’
‘Jason Prosser has been dependable and provided expert timely and informed advice on construction contract matters and procedures’
‘Huw Morgan and his team deal with both contentious and non-contentious matters in a courteous, detailed and timely manner’
Herefordshire District Council
Airbus Operations Limited
University of Bristol
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Bath Spa University
Taylor Maxwell & Co Limited
Royal Academy of Arts
Bristol City Football Club Limited
- Advising the University of Bristol on the appointment of the professional team for its £350 million Temple Quarter Enterprise Campus development.
- Advising Bristol City Football Club on the multi-million pound redevelopment of its existing training ground to provide internal and external training facilities.
- Reviewing and advising on the JCT Design and Build Contract 2016 (and ancillary documentation) for the design and construction of a variety of residential and commercial developments for Stepnell Limited as part of its due diligence prior to a tender submission for these projects.
The ‘dream team' at Clyde & Co LLP provides construction-focused experts and ‘real quality across the board’. The practice has a global reach and a particular specialism in contentious matters, as well as being increasingly active advising on regional contractor matters and infrastructure and energy projects. The ‘outstanding’ Peter O’Brien leads the team and focuses on dispute resolution, representing clients domestically and overseas. Also notable are senior associate Kate Lister, who is has particular skill in assisting clients with multi-tiered disputes; ‘superb’ associate Josh Roberts, who advises on contentious construction cases; and associate Barnaby Sandy, who is well regarded for his projects and construction law knowledge.
‘Very good teams allocated to cases. No churn, and good continuity and knowledge across work streams’
‘Careful and commercial approach to risk, and great clarity on advising on risk’
‘A very thorough team’
‘Peter O’Brien is a very bright partner, with real on the ground experience in the industry before turning to law. Charming with clients and colleagues alike. A light touch and very amusing. Commands great loyalty from clients and colleagues alike’
‘Josh Roberts is a very strong associate with legal nous which belies his years. He will do very well’
‘Barnaby Sandy is a very strong associate with excellent legal and practical judgement’
‘Peter O’Brien leads the team with experience, charisma and a real knowledge of the industry’
‘Josh Roberts puts everything into each case and is a real fighter’
‘Barnaby Sandy is the real deal, exceptionally able and hardworking’
MW High Tech Projects UK Limited
M+W Group GmbH
Designer M&E Services UK Limited
- Representing M+W (the EPC contractor) in proceedings brought against it by Energy Works (Hull) Limited (the employer) in the Technology & Construction Court in London. A third party, Outotec USA, has been joined as a Part 20 defendant by M+W.
- Representing the EPC contractor in relation to multiple disputes with its subcontractor on a £153m gasification plant in Kingston upon Hull. The subcontract value is £35m.
- Represented Designer M&E Services UK Limited during an appeal, which concerned what constitutes valid service of a claim form and whether this is an action which must can only be taken by a practising solicitor.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP advises on a range of construction matters related to the health, insurance, financial and real estate sectors. The firm has experience in construction claims against professionals, as well as in acting for the NHS, local authorities and national house builder clients on projects and schemes in the area. Ben Thornycroft leads the team and focuses on non-contentious work, including procurement and contract advice. Also notable is Philip Roberts, who specialises in professional indemnity claims against construction professionals.
‘Construction profession qualifications as well as legal expertise at partner level brings a well-informed approach and attitude which filters down as pragmatic and problem-solving expertise throughout the team’
‘Excellent early engagement, communication and calm advice from all’
‘Phillip Roberts leads by professional example, Ralph Wynn Griffiths is one of the most intellectually challenging legal interrogators I have ever met, and Leon Smith brings a combination of youthful high energy and rigorous examination to difficult circumstances’
‘The team has a number of professionals offering differing experiences and expertise to suit all matters, no matter how big or small, complex or straightforward’
‘The team are great at providing highly pragmatic advice, settling matters swiftly and in a cost-effective manner where appropriate, but are equally ready to do battle and put forward the most robust defences should a matter be defended’
‘Phillip Roberts provides a very reassuring approach to his cases. His past engineering career enables him to speak with construction clients on their level, relate to the situations they find themselves in and provide practical expert advice’
‘Leon Smith is a highly talented associate in the team. He is a tenacious individual, thinks quickly on his feet and will leave no stone unturned in investigating and defending construction claims’
Westfield Europe Limited
Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Crown Commercial Services
Deeley Freed Estates
Shore Capital Group
QBE Insurance Company (UK) Ltd
Bristol Water plc
Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Advising Westfield on the sub-contracts for the design and construction of retail and residential development works at Cherry Park, Stratford City, London.
- Advising Bristol Music Trust, as tenant of Colston Hall, on the contracts for the refurbishment of this iconic music venue in Bristol.
- Advised Puma Investments Ltd – Homelife projects on a substantial piece of work comprising an ongoing series of linked projects of national spread for the construction and later sale of sheltered living accommodation.
Royds Withy King
The 'hardworking, thorough and dogged' Royds Withy King provides procurement and dispute resolution specialists with experience advising a range of international and domestic clients, including utility companies, commercial and residential developers, contractors and specialist sub-contractors. Andrew Ash is head of the firm’s construction and engineering team and provides particular expertise in contentious matters.
‘Andrew Ash has a strong eye for detail; he is very in tune with client’s objectives’
‘Hannah Ongaro is an extremely through litigator’
‘Practical common sense approach, competitive fees for a quality service’
‘Catherine Welch has a calm and confident manner which is highly reassuring. As lead partner Catherine offers practical and pragmatic advice necessary for tight completion deadlines’
‘Outcomes-focused, high-quality construction advice’
‘The practice has a competent and highly experienced team dedicated to client support and as a client we always feel valued and supported’
‘Royd Withy King are there when we need them and provide reasoned and sensible advice, often on the basis that litigation is last resort’
‘The depth of their experience and extent of resources has always been reassuring’
‘Well-developed personal and collaborative relationships, good listeners and advisers’
‘Andrew Ash always makes himself available immediately when needed and his advice is second to none’
Western Power Distribution plc
Midas Construction Limited
St Hilda’s College, Oxford University
University of Bath
M.J.Church (Plant) Limited
Bath Rugby Limited / Arena 1865 Limited
Hall & Kay Fire Services Limited
Triangle Fire Systems Limited
Diamond Light Source Limited
Socomec UK Limited
That Bournemouth Company
- Advising the University of Bath’s estates department on strategic contract risk management, including relating to the choice of contracts for its future capital expenditure projects.
The ‘very friendly, approachable and supportive’ Thrings LLP has expertise in residential development, secured lending and a range of contentious matters. The firm’s work covers sectors including water, retail, leisure and healthcare, as well as corporate occupier issues. The team provides ‘excellent, quick advice’ and is co-led by Steve McCombe, who acts for public and private clients, and construction and engineering specialist Natalia Sokolov.
‘An efficient and innovative approach to finding solutions and resolution of disputes’
‘We have found the practice to be widely experienced in construction matters and able to set the opinion in the context of current thinking and good practice as well as providing an assessment of risk with balanced judgement’
‘The overall service proved good value for money’
‘Thrings provide a sound, solid service and advice’
‘Natalia Sokolov is very commercially minded’
‘All the team members that I have dealt with are very approachable and respond promptly to queries raised’
‘Steve McCombe always delivers excellent advice, tailored to our business needs. He is an accomplished communicator and a pleasure to work with. Steve inspires confidence, born from his experience in advising in the utilities sector, together with his calm delivery and the quality of his advice.’
Anthony Best Dynamics Limited
Bourne Group Ltd
Bristol Water PLC
Newlaw Legal Limited
Stonewood Partnerships Ltd
Baylis Estates Limited
Woodsome Estates Limited
Braintree Properties Limited
Littlecombe Park Limited
Ladybellegate Estates Limited
TrueSpeed Communications Ltd
Investec Bank PLC
Davies Street Properties
- Advising Baylis on its £6million development of a large business park in Bristol on which it will build five warehouse buildings.
- Advised Anthony Best Dynamics Limited on drafting and negotiating all of the construction documents for a £9million scheme, involving a suite of consultant appointments and a design and build building contract.
- Reviewing and redrafting all of Bourne’s standard sub-contract documents for the client to use on its projects in the future. This includes JCT, NEC, short form and other sub-contracts.
Foot Anstey advises national and international contractors, developers and businesses on a range of matters. Areas of speciality for the firm include retail, energy storage and nuclear matters, as well as major infrastructure projects. The department is also increasingly active in the corporate and finance spaces. Ian Stubbs leads the team and focuses on the energy and construction sectors. Also notable is Tris Tucker, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and has experience advising employers, contractors, sub-contractors, consultants and insurers.
Other key lawyers:
Acorn Property Group
Green Frog Connect
ABC International Bank Limited
Screwfix / Kingfisher / B&Q PLC
WElink Energy Group
NEC Energy Solutions, Inc
- Advised TClarke on working through the payment mechanism of a contract with a client, which ultimately led to a final default payment notice being issued for TClarke’s assessment of the final account.
- Advised Acorn Property Group regarding the client’s dispute with the contractor of a residential development regarding entitlement to payment of the final account and rectification of defects.
- Advising Willmott Dixon on the other side’s entitlement to claim, under NEC3, for compensation events out of time. This matter ultimately turns on the understanding and application of clause 61.3 of the NEC3 sub-contract conditions.
Advising clients regionally and nationally, Keystone Law acts for employers, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants. Areas of speciality for the practice include the education, transport, infrastructure, health, energy, leisure and residential sectors. The key names in the team are contentious construction expert Louise Garcia; Martin Howe, who focuses on non-contentious construction law and procurement; Jon Close, who advises employers, contractors and engineers; and Tom Philips, who has expertise in construction, development and finance law.
Ecotricity Group Limited
Dowdeswell Estates Limited
St James’ Construction Limited
UK Power Solutions Limited
Geoffrey Osborne Limited
University of Southampton
University of the West of England
Deconstruct (UK) Limited
Cape Homes Limited
Complete Utilities Ltd
Smith’s (Gloucester) Ltd
- Advised Deconstruct (UK) Limited on its contract for a high-value demolition and piling contract for a high-profile site in central London. The work involved a review of the key risks for Deconstruct in the proposed building contract.
- Providing all external legal construction advice to the University of Southampton in relation to the university’s major construction matters, including advising on a standard set of construction documents for use in relation to “minor projects”, including the maintenance and refurbishment of existing buildings.
- Provided dispute resolution and contractual advice to Dowdeswell Estates Limited, including drafting construction documents for use across all sites.
Stephens Scown LLP
Stephens Scown LLP is known for its social housing, mining and energy sector expertise, as well as for advising architects on a range of issues. The firm is also increasingly active in development work. Jim Gorrod leads the team and specialises in contentious and non-contentious construction matters, particularly social housing and renewable energy projects.
‘They have subject specific expertise and provide good, commercial advice to their clients’
‘Jim Gorrod is very good at what he does. He allocates tasks and responsibilities very well within his team and makes sure that the client is served as efficiently as possible and that everyone plays to their strengths. He gives practical, no nonsense advice, which is what clients value’
Pendennis Shipyard Limited
Advantage South West
Clifton Emery Design
Hastoe Housing Association
The Stepping Stone Group
Hurlingham Apartments Limited
- Acting for Pendennis in relation to a series of adjudications with Midas Construction related to the building of a new £10m facility to refurbish and build superyachts. The new facility was part funded by a grant from the European Regional Development Fund.
- Advised Advantage South West on drafting a bespoke measured term contract that could be used by all the members of the framework for engaging contractors to carry out housing repairs and maintenance for a fixed term.
- Advised Eco-Bos Development Limited on drafting the main build contract as well as appointment documents and collateral warranties for all professional consultants involved with the construction of the new 1,500 home eco-town development at West Carclaze in Cornwall.