Employment: M4 Corridor and Gloucestershire in South West
The employment practice at BPE Solicitors LLP has a marginally stronger focus on contentious work, in which practice head Lisa Gettins is a proven specialist. The team has handled numerous cases in both the Employment Appeal Tribunal and High Court, including discrimination and breach of confidence claims. On the advisory side, recent examples of work include whistle-blowing matters, TUPE advice, business restructures, in addition to employee relations.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Lee; Heyma Holmes
‘The team is practical and offers solutions‘
‘Heyma Holmes works with you and explains the risks clearly; she offers solutions‘
Omega Resource Group
Just Go Travel Group
Rail Delivery Group
The Helping Hand Company (Ledbury) Ltd
Gloucester Rugby Club
- Advising the client on employment aspects of business acquisitions, including TUPE implications of the transfer and restructuring advice.
- Advising support services and construction company on historic claims regarding the closure of waste management plants
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP undertakes day to day general HR work, corporate reorganisation advice, business and TUPE transfers, as well as employee tribunal and High Court litigation. Clients range from local SMEs to both national and international corporations. The firm retains an especially strong client base in the retail and leisure, charities and agricultural sectors, acting primarily for employers and high net worth individuals. Practice head Sara Wilson has notable experience in the healthcare sector, as well as a particular interest in advising trusts, charities and family-owned businesses on employment strategy and the enforcement of post-termination restrictions.
Other key lawyers:
Syma Spanjers; Kelly Evans
‘There is a breadth of experience and consistency of approach and standards with everyone you deal with at Charles Russell Speechlys. The advice is always practical, commercial and legally sound – it is very reassuring to know they are there‘
‘Very professional, proactive and helpful. Highly responsive‘
‘A broad team that is able to offer advice across all an organisation’s needs. Quick to respond to problems and professional in their approach‘
‘I particularly want to note the help and support we have had from Sara Wilson, Syma Spanjes and Claudine Morgan. I value their candour, responsiveness and advice‘
‘Sara’s approach is personable, attentive and thoughtful. To the point and practical, we always feel confident that Sara understands our business and approach to handling people issues and gives us sound advice accordingly. We without fail, come off the phone having a way forward that is a relief and support to us when dealing with challenging issues. We have complete confidence in the advice we are given and have never been let down. Sara is outstanding‘
Pennant International Plc
Reynolds Catering Supplies Limited
The Garland Company Limited
Executive Jet Charter Limited
Gulf Air B.S.C (c)
B&M Babbage & Co Limited
Willans LLP's employment group has key specialisms across the not for profit, professional and financial services, and technology and engineering markets. Particularly applicable to the latter is the team's notably strong area of work in advising on non-compete restrictions and restrictive covenants. In the charities sector, the team has recently advised on matters relating to confidential information and senior-level severances. Matthew Clayton heads the team, and has extensive experience in advising on ex-employee restrictions and data protection issues, including GDPR.
Other key lawyers:
‘Matthew Clayton is very good, I rate him highly‘
IRESS UK Limited
Stroud District Council
ICSA: The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators
- We advised Cheltenham Family Welfare Association on the TUPE transfer of employees from fourdifferent charitable trusts into a new charitable incorporated organisation
- We represented a manufacturer in successfully defending employment tribunal proceedings inrelation to automatic unfair dismissal, whistle-blowing detriment, sex discrimination and sexual harassment, brought by a former employee.
- We acted for a regional food business in successfully defending employment tribunal claims brought by an employee in relation to flexible working and disability discrimination.
- We advised an offshore firm on the introduction of 24/7 shift patterns for the support functions housed in one of its UK offices.
- We acted for a regional professional services business in enforcing restrictive covenants against a former employee.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
Harrison Clark Rickerbys' full-service employment practice advises both local and national clients in contentious cases and non-contentious employment procedures. The practice has seen notable growth in the education sector, where the team, headed by Jennifer Okafor-Jones, advises on issues including sensitive dismissals. The firm also recently launched a specialist team to cater for senior executives and high net worth employees on issues ranging from discrimination and equal pay discrepancies.
- Representing the client in en employment tribunal claim for alleged victimisation.
- Advised the client in relation to a suspected team move and/or poaching issue involving numerous employees handing in their notice within the space of just a few days
- Advised the client on numerous claims, including whistle-blowing, discrimination and unlawful discrimination of wages.
Lodders Solicitors LLP
Lodders Solicitors LLP advises senior directors and stakeholders as well as high net worth individuals in the local regional area and wider afield. In addition, the firm caters for owner-managed businesses, charities and larger corporations in TUPE cases, reorganisations and redundancies, as well as advising on employment and HR strategy. Nick Rowe is joint-head of the Cheltenham office, and leads the employment team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Compared to other firms of which I have experience I think Lodders compares very well‘
‘I deal with Nick Rowe. I find him very knowledgeable, and he gives good strategic advice promptly‘
Titus Consultancy Ltd
TopSpec Equine Ltd
Dairy Partners Ltd
Midland Communications Company Ltd
Premiere Healthcare Ltd
Insight Energy Ltd
Bamboo Technology Group Ltd
Brunsdon Financial Services Ltd
Dominion Marine Media
Microcomms Professional Services Ltd
- Advising the client on a retainer basis in regards to general employment, HR support, employee engagement, contractual advice and company restructuring.
- Acting for the client on a retainer basis in regards to ongoing support in respect of the business generally and in particular in relation to contractual relations with large corporate clients such as EY and NFL.
- Acted for the client in bringing a claim against a former employee for breach of contract, including breach of restrictive covenant and data theft.
Royds Withy King specialises in representing business owners and HR professionals in all areas of employment law, including TUPE, tribunal disputes, dismissals and recruitment advice. Bath-based Richard White is the key name in the practice.
Stone King LLP divides its employment practice along its key sector lines, namely charity, education, personal and business. Across each, the practice handles dismissals, union activity, grievances, redundancies, TUPE issues and restrictive covenants. Practice head Nick Watson has expertise in trade union disputes and complex governance structures.