Environment in South East
B P Collins LLP's environment department specialises in mandates relating to waste and recycling. The team has a strong track record of advising clients on all stages of the waste cycle, including producer responsibility, transfer of waste, recycling and means of disposal. It also advises on major corporate transactions in the sector; practice head Alex Zachary has experience of leading on more than 40 M&A deals in this space.
The Biffa Group
The Grundon Group of companies
Ice Energy Technologies
i2O Water Limited
2K Polymer Systems Limited
- The firm acted for Biffa Waste Services Limited (Biffa) in connection with the acquisition of the trade and assets of H&A Recycling Limited, a company which was based in Cornwall, and the taking of two new leases over property in Redruth.
- The firm advised Forever Fuels on the sale of its wood pellet trade and assets to Balcas Timber Limited, a leading timber products supplier.
- The firm advised Biffa Municipal in relation to terms of business for its ‘Wheelie Clean’ bin washing service.
- The firm advised Biffa Municipal on its terms of business for its household and commercial waste collection tanker services.
- Advising a leading national integrated waste management provider on a waste transportation contract.
The planning & environmental group at Blandy & Blandy LLP advises on environmental impact assessments (EIAs), environmental permitting applications and the impact of Special Protections Areas (SPAs) on development proposals. In addition, the team handles waste regulation mandates, and defends prosecutions against landed estates and waste disposal companies. The 'practical' Karen Jones leads the team, which includes 'excellent communicator' Simon Dimmick, who is recommended for his planning expertise.
Other key lawyers:
‘Blandy & Blandy LLP is unique in the marketplace because offers advice on environmental matters on a one-to-one basis that other firms cannot replicate‘.
‘When working with a lawyer from Blandy & Blandy LLP, there is no possibility of being swallowed up in the corporate miasma typical of large City of London firms; their attention to the client’s particular circumstances is paramount.’
‘Karen Jones brings a deep and thorough knowledge of environmental law, town and country planning law, local government and other regulatory regimes which is not matched by many other solicitors in her field‘.
‘Karen Jones‘s negotiating skills are accompanied by a practical approach and an ability to connect with opponents and steer the course which is most favorable for her client’.
‘Simon Dimmick is an excellent communicator and is dedicated to client care.’
University of Reading
R Collard Limited
Reading Borough Council
Bewley Homes PLC
Bloor Homes Ltd
Palmarium Properties Limited
Cassini Developments Limited
Fairfield Parish Council
Charterfield Homes Limited
- Acted for a client who wished to remove a tree which had been assessed as a potential danger to the public; the firm advised on the procedures in respect of TPOs, challenged the Council’s decision not to grant consent to fell the tree and appealed against the refusal.
- Advised a property development company on the chances of success in challenging a granted permission which was potentially unlawful considering the development of 135 dwellings on a development site in the client’s ownership (which was granted permission subject to provision of SANG land and maintenance sums).
- Advising a high net worth individual (along with specialist surveyors, highway consultants and a planning consultant) on the duties and responsibilities of the council, as well the clients’ rights and liabilities, in the context of the delivery of the Lyminster Bypass.
DMH Stallard LLP's 'accessible' planning and environment department has particular expertise in environmental litigation (including nuisance and defence work), environmental impact assessments and water infrastructure agreements. Sustainable drainage and flooding has been an area of notable growth for the team. Elsewhere, the group advises waste companies on various planning issues. Heidi Copland, who heads up the practice, advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters. Chloe Karamian is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Newhaven Port and Properties
The Community Stadium Limited
Albemarle Shoreham Airport Limited
Sweeptech Environmental Services Limited
Oxted Residential Limited
Hollamby Estates (2005)/LowerHerne Developments
Private client (Mr Constantinou)
Private client (Mr and Mrs Pearson)
- The firm acts for Crest Nicholson on a number of highways matters, including agreements under sections 38 and 278 of the Highways Act 1980 and s104 and s185 of the Water Industry Act 1991.
- The firm acts for Countryside Properties on a number of highways and infrastructure matters, including agreements under sections 38 and 278 of the Highways Act 1980 and s104 and s185 of the Water Industry Act 1991.
- The firm is acting as the lead planning consultant and legal adviser on the proposed development of land to the north of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club’s training ground at New Monks Farm, Lancing.
- The firm assisted Sweeptech Environmental Services Ltd with obtaining planning permission for a waste recycling facility, which involved environmental impact assessment screening.
- The firm assisted Oxted Residential with lodging evidence and objections against an application made by a local action group to secure public rights of way across a site that the client seeks to release from the Green Belt for a housing development.
Led by Richard Smith, Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP's team acts for clients active in industries such as engineering, energy, chemical production, manufacturing and waste management. The scope of its experience includes environmental due diligence, warranties and indemnities, as well as advice on the full range of commercial transactions and contentious issues. Water pollution, hazardous waste and landfill are among other areas of specialisation.
Cripps Pemberton Greenish is particularly well-known for its work for residential developers and housing associations, for whom it advises on environmental issues associated with residential development projects. The scope of its work in this space includes advising on environmental impact assessments, strategic environmental assessments and contaminated land issues. Jason Towell leads the team, which also acts on major projects in the retail, leisure and renewables industries, and handles other bespoke projects. Philip Youdan is the name to note for litigation involving the Environmental Agency (EA).
Other key lawyers:
Wates Developments Limited
London and Continental Railways Limited
Liberty Property Trust UK Limited
Persimmon Homes Limited
Town and Country Housing Group
Bovis Homes Limited
Slough Borough Council
- Advising Wates on section 106 agreement and appeal strategy for 700 dwelling development at Fleet.
- Handles a section 106 agreement for Liberty Property Trust UK Limited. 2750 homes mixed use development at North Horsham.
- Completing section 106 agreements for Hillreed Homes and Ward Homes for their 1,210 dwelling urban development at Aylesham.
- Advising an objector seeking enforcement action against a commercial development in the Green Belt.
- Advising house builders on defence of a judicial review against a local plan.
Shoosmiths LLP has a sizeable team in the South East, and is also able to leverage the expertise of a wider national group, which puts it on a strong footing to undertake the full range of contentious and non-contentious environmental matters. Its clients include household names in the property development, retail and automotive industries. The 'excellent' group assists clients with environmental due diligence, compliance with environmental regulations and both civil and criminal environmental proceedings. Team head Charles Arrand is an expert in enforcement actions. Senior associate Joanne Sear is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Joanne Sear assisted us in dealing with local authorities and their tricky enforcement practices‘.
McKay Securities PLC
Extra Motorway Services
First Mile Recycling
- Acted for St Modwen on the environmental aspects of the sale of a portfolio of 34 properties to Hansteen Holdings PLC for £57.3m.
- Advised Epiris Managers LLP on dealing with notifications to the Environment Agency following its acquisition of two businesses that are participants in the CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme.
- Acted for XPO Logistics on the environmental aspects of the sale of a logistics warehouse in Warrington to Vengrove for £6.2m.
- Acted for petrol filling station operator Starbridge on the acquisition and subsequent financing of a portfolio of three petrol stations; these were subject to complex remediation requirements requiring regulatory sign-off by the EA which had to be factored into the sale and purchase agreements.
- Advised Leftfield Capital on the environmental aspects of its acquisition from Milton Property Investments and subsequent financing of a portfolio of five units on retail parks in Aylesbury, Hertford, Thurrock, Rainham and Wokingham for £17.9m.
Stevens & Bolton LLP demonstrates strong capabilities in a wide range of matters, with particular strengths in environmental liability and environmental insurance. Its work includes advice to clients on environmental insurance policies, liabilities related to land and water pollution, the environmental liability directive and environmental damage regulations. Associate Markus Klempa is the name to note for asbestos-related litigation. Valerie Fogleman leads the team.
Other key lawyers:
European Law Academy
- Advised AXA XL on various claims concerning environmental liabilities in environmental insurance and general liability policies.
- Project for WWF-Canada on its work concerning offshore oil and gas operations in the Arctic and liability, compensation and financial security for such operations.
- As part of a consortium that carries out projects for the European Commission under a framework contract, the firm is leading a project which includes reviewing financial security for environmental liability in all 28 Member States of the EU and comparing them with such requirements in other countries.
- The firm is part of a high-profile project under a contract between the European Commission and the Academy of European Law to train judges and prosecutors across the EU in EU environmental law.