Health in South East
Birkett Long LLP provides a multi-disciplinary service to a range of health care clients and the team includes members of the firm's commercial property and corporate teams alongside others. The firm has a particularly strong presence in the care home space, providing a full service to sector clients. Practice head Tracey Dickens specialises in advising healthcare clients on corporate and commercial matters, making the firm a key presence in Essex for healthcare clients.
Healthcare Homes Limited
Healthcare Homes Group Limited
Manorcourt Care (Norfolk) Limited
Runwood Homes Limited
St Helena Hospice
- Handling Various matters including recovery of care home fees and employment matters for a care home operator.
- Handling Various matters for Healthcare Homes Group including SDLT and lease registration for lease adjustments to a number of properties in the portfolio, car parking licence arrangements, dealing with notices of assignment of supported living properties.
Blake Morgan LLP advises healthcare providers on a wide range of matters and assists a number of large healthcare providers, including national bodies. One of the firm's key focus areas is medical technology, advising clients in the industry on commercial and IP matters. The firm also advises on large-scale transactional matters and financing work. Bruce Potter heads the team and is noted for his significant expertise and track record in procurement matters.
‘The firm always provides pragmatic advice in a timely manner.‘
‘Bruce Potter always responds in a timely manner and will make himself available so that he fully understands our needs as a client.’
NHS England and NHS Wales
University College London NHS Foundation Trust
Medical Imaging Partnerships Limited
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust
NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership (all 7 Local Health Boards (Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, Aneurin Bevan University Health Board, Cardiff & Vale University Health Board, Cwm Taf University Health Board, Powys Teaching Health Board, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board and Hywel Dda University Health Board ) and all 3 NHS Trusts in Wales( Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust , Public Health Wales NHS Trust and Velindre NHS Trust ))
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
Oxford Academic Health Network
- Acting for NHS England in defending a procurement claim brought by AbbVie Limited relating to Hepatitis C.
- Advising Oxford Academic Health Science Network on various issues relating to the development of the eMAPS online platform, including IP protection as well as contractual matters relating to the licensing models that could be used for the tool and revenue generation models.
Brachers is known for its work with NHS trusts, particularly regarding inquests. John Sheath is the key contact for inquests and claims, often representing trusts and other providers without counsel. The firm also offers a substantial primary care practice, advising on new developments, as well as issues surrounding retirements in the single-handed GP sector. Commercial property specialist Ash Jilani leads the primary care team and Catherine Daw heads the employment offering.
John Sheath; Catherine Daw; Ash Jilani
Medway NHS FT
East Kent University NHS FT
Sussex Partnership NHS FT
Sussex Community NHS FT
Maidstone &Tunbridge Wells NHS T
East Kent Medical Services Ltd
2Gether Solutions Services Ltd
Benenden Hospitals Trust
- Assisted Medway NHS Foundation Trust on a complex inquest concerning neonatal death.
- Represented Medway NHS Foundation Trust in an inquest without counsel where the family had alleged that the contrast dye in a CT scan had killed their relative but the Coroner was persuaded that the patient had died following a necessary medical procedure.
- Represented a Trust in relation to a claim relating to legionella’s disease as a result of infection sustained while the complainant was an inpatient.
- Acting for Carisbrooke Surgery in a new primary care development, involving co-location with another practice.
- Representing a major operator of multiple primary care sites in the acquisition of GP practices.
Cripps Pemberton Greenish acts for healthcare clients on a wide range of matters, providing clients with employment and dispute resolution advice in addition to corporate, commercial, and real estate matters. Nick Austen heads the practice and focuses on transactional matters, as well as acting for banks and other lenders in the space. The practice has undergone some shifts in the last year, with Justin Cumberlege departing for Hempsons and Gemma Mintram heading to Knights plc.
A key name for national healthcare work, DAC Beachcroft LLP's regional offering is provided by its Winchester office, which acts for several NHS trusts and Clinical Commissioning Groups in the region. The team is particularly experienced in clinical negligence defense work, where Matthew McGrath is a prominent expert. It also provides healthcare regulatory services - this expertise is fronted by Belinda Dix.
Matthew McGrath; Belinda Dix
Medical Defence Union
Oxford University Hospitals NHS FT
University Hospital Southampton NHS FT
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS FT
Poole Hospital NHS FT
Hampshire Hospitals NHS FT
Great Western Hospitals NHS FT
Salisbury NHS FT
- Acted for a NHS Trust in a £22m claim for brain injury arising from birth; settled at 33% reduction of costs.
- Assisted University College Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust with employment advice on a complex transaction involving awarding a framework contract to a temporary staffing provider.
- Advised the NHS Ealing Clinical Commissioning Group on all aspects of its procurement to appoint a single out of hospital services provider.
- Advised a NHS Trust existing occupier in respect of arrangements concerning their current occupation of a substantial central London property.
- Advising a Trust on its disposal strategy and keyworker/affordable housing to facilitate a joint disposal with a neighbouring trust.
EMW Law LLP
EMW Law LLP focuses on transactions in healthcare assisting providers of social care. The firm advises such clients on all matters relating to their acquisitions and disposals and offers specialists in financing, real estate, and corporate and commercial matters. Joe Soul heads the practice, while corporate and commercial specialist Jordan Glackin is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘EMW are an excellent specialist team with strong industry knowledge and contacts.‘
‘They are commercially minded and have a can-do attitude about making a transaction happen.’
Ultimate Care Limited
Clacton Dental Group
Metro Bank Plc
J Sai Country Home Limited
- Advised J Sai Country Home on the share sale of two companies owning care homes.
- Advised Clacton Dental Care on the acquisition of a company, including negotiation of the share purchase agreement.
- Advised Ultimate Care Limited on the acquisition of entire issued share capital of a care home company.
- Advised a care home operator on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of a target care home company and separate purchase of a freehold property.
- Advised Palladian (Kenley) Limited on the sale of the entire share capital of a care home development company and the simultaneous exchange of the development agreement.
Martin Searle Solicitors
Martin Searle Solicitors acts for individuals and their representatives in matters concerning the provision of care by local authorities. The firm has a strong track record of securing health and care packages for clients, as well as challenging local authority decisions to reduce such care packages, including the use of ombudsman processes and tribunal cases. 'Switched-on and diligent' practice head Cate Searle has a strong track record collaborating with other professionals including deputies and personal injury lawyers.
‘The specialist advice given is invaluable, especially to professional deputies and attorneys.‘
‘The level and depth of knowledge within the team is impressive.’
‘The response time, follow up and client care is excellent.’
‘Cate Searle is passionate in her work, a brilliant speaker, clear and concise and truly inspirational.‘
‘Working with Cate and Chloe Scarr and Alice Macnair has helped me succeed for my clients on a number of complex issues encountered as a professional Deputy and Attorney‘
‘I have instructed them in my capacity as Deputy for a number of my clients and they have produced excellent results on each occasion‘
‘They are quick to respond, their advice is sensible and very good value for money when set against the financial outcomes for my clients.’
‘Both Rachel Burley-Stower and Chloe Scarr stand out for the service they provide; I would happily recommend both and the firm for this particular niche area and they are my first port of call when I am looking for this advice.’
‘I am confident that with their advice, support and guidance I am acting effectively for my clients and with consistently good outcomes for my vulnerable clients and their families.‘
‘The fees payable are clearly stated and are very reasonable.‘
Liz Dalgetty, Professional Deputy, Downs Solicitors
Frances Mayne, Professional Trustee and Deputy, Wilsons LLP
Kevin Grealis, PI Lawyer, Stuarts Law
- Represented parents of a 12-year-old child with profound and multiple disabilities in challenges against the CCG and Local Authority for increased funding of health and care provisions.
- Representing a family to recover years of back-dated health and social care funding, using the ombudsman process.
- Obtained reimbursement of £190,000 care fees for the cost of 24/7 live-in care for a client who was eligible for NHS continuing healthcare.
- Represented a client in challenging a Local Authority’s decision that a third-party top-up was required for a relative’s care home fees.
- Challenging the CCG’s decision to cut the client’s care funding after reassessment of his care needs.
Moore Blatch LLP focuses its healthcare practice on individuals, providing a wide range of services for those with care and support needs. The practice acts on behalf of adults and children, as well as working on Court of Protection matters. Tim Spring heads the overall healthcare practice, and is particularly focused on clinical negligence matters, while Mea North heads the community care team following Paula Barnes' departure for Lester Aldridge LLP in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
PDT Solicitors is particularly notable for its work in the pharmacy sector, advising clients on the set-up and expansion of pharmacy businesses, as well as disposals, and sales for sole practitioners who retire. The firm also advises opticians and social care clients on corporate matters. Practice head James Clewlow has a strong track record advising clients throughout the life cycle of their businesses. Jo Williams departed the firm for an in-house position in April 2018.
‘The team are accessible and responsive.’
‘They are knowledgeable experienced in the industry, and up-to-date on current issues.’
‘They provide very good value advice.’
‘James Clewlow is a very able practice head.’
Brunswick Trading Limited
Pearl Chemist Limited
Janak Jethwa and Bhanu Jethwa
Pillbox Chemists Limited
FMP Norfolk Limited
Mukesh Mandora – sole trader
Anna Healthcare Limited and Nima (Malden) Limited
PSG Pharma Limited
Mid Suffolk Medical Supplies Limited
Abax Health Limited
Pyramid Pharma Pharmaceuticals Limited
MIG Holdings Limited
- Acted for Medimpo Limited in respect of a restructure of its existing assets (mixed-use freehold properties including pharmacy businesses).
- Acted for existing clients as part of a joint venture to acquire six separate retail pharmacies.
- Acted for the clients in the sale of their shares in a company operating an independent retail pharmacy business in the South East of England.
- Acted for Pill Box Chemists Limited in respect of its first pharmacy sale.
- Acted for a client selling his pharmacy business in order to retire.