Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex in South East
The Charles Russell Speechlys LLP employment, pensions and immigration group is headed by Nick Hurley who is highly rated for contentious work in addition to advising on areas such as reorganisations and business transfers. The team counts an impressive list of international and national companies among its clients with a growing focus on those in the finance and TMT sectors. Ben Smith is in demand for his broad skills in HR matters including redundancies and dismissals and TUPE matters and Andy Williams' ' sound judgement is always valued on all HR issues'. Emily Chalkley is one of a number of associates who also garners appreciation.
‘CRS is undoubtedly one of the best regional and City practices, combining the right partners and associates with the right skill levels to match client requirements.’
‘Andy Williams and his team are excellent. Always client focused and attentive and they totally understand my commercial needs.’
‘Andy Williams is extremely practical and does not over complicate issues. His sound judgement is always valued on all HR issues. I have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him to private individuals or multi-national companies.’
‘Ben Smith will always go the extra mile for his client. He is obsessive about getting his clients the best deal.’
‘Nick Hurley is a real fighter, Nick is the man you want on your side when you are going to high stakes litigation.’
‘Associate Emily Chalkley has incredible attention to detail and leaves no stone unturned.’
Photo-Me International Plc
Amundi Asset Management
National Museum of the Royal Navy
Zenium Technology Partners Limited/CyrusOne, Inc.
Goodwin Procter LLP
DST Financial Services International Ltd
Lord Wandsworth College
- Assists the client with general, ongoing employment matters. Of late, acted for the management team on the sale of its UK and German operations.
- Advised Amobee on its acquisition of Videology, and specifically regarding the transfer of the business and assets of Videology to Amobee EMEA which involved TUPE and other employment issues.
- This US firm refers its employment and pensions law matters; the team has advised on a large number of cases ranging from $5m to over $2bn.
- Acted on a claim against the client after the dismissal of a senior compliance manager for gross misconduct following his abusive behaviour towards the company’s auditor, his immediate boss and HR.
- Advises the UK and Swedish companies on a range of matters including defending a number of Employment Tribunal claims and assisting on various corporate transactions, outsourcing projects and in-sourcing arrangements.
Cripps Pemberton Greenish assists clients in diverse sectors such as retail, hospitality, technology, healthcare and NOPs. It is also attracts work from a number of overseas/international law firms. Both regarded as 'excellent', Rhona Darbyshire and associate Emma Saunders take on the gamut of employment matters; large-scale restructurings, senior employee exits, restrictive covenants, employee relations and tribunal claims. Senior associate Camilla Beamish has a broad remit; terminations, whistle-blowing and discrimination claims and TUPE projects.
‘One of many strengths at Cripps is the depth of knowledge in the team; if one member of the team is unavailable, another is there to help. Another strength of the team, which sets them apart from other firms I have dealt with, is the commercial focus of their advice. I am never told simply the legal position of my enquiry – it’s always within the specific context of our business and the objectives that we are seeking to achieve.’
‘I have yet to encounter a member of the employment law team that was not of a very high calibre. Rhona Darbyshire and Emma Saunders have consistently been excellent, very responsive and give commercial and practical advice any time we have needed it.’
Delivery Associates Limited
Trans Global Freight Management Limited
Peer Group Plc
Monecor (London) t/a ETX Capital
Principal Hayley Hotel Group
Slough Borough Council
- Successfully represented Slough Borough Council on a high-value and complex Tribunal claim for whistleblowing detriment in which the claimant was seeking damages for a substantial sum.
- Assisting the client with all day to day HR matters.
- Advised in relation to the employment aspects of various acquisitions including carrying out due diligence exercises, drafting warranties and indemnities for Share Purchase Agreements and drafting directors’ service agreements.
- Advising a group of independent schools on day to day employment and HR matters and contentious issues.
- Advising on the employment aspects of the client’s acquisition of a Domo Tactical Communications business unit.
DMH Stallard LLP continues to benefit from its merger with Rawlison Butler. Simon Bellm is the regional head of the employment and immigration offering and Adam Williams heads the newly set up Guildford team where senior associate Abigail Maino has joined from asb law LLP. The 'just brilliant' Tony Hyams-Parish has a wealth of experience advising national and international businesses on all aspects of employment law and has an especial focus on equality and discrimination issues. Greg Burgess' recent work includes the handling of several complex discrimination actions.
‘The team makes efforts to understand our challenging and complex business in order to provide us with the appropriate advice and recommendations. They are easily approachable, reliable and quick to respond in a friendly manner. We find their employment law seminars informative and beneficial for the work we do.‘
‘Tony Hyams-Parish has a great understanding of the grey within organisations and has the ability to advise not only just on the legal black and white but how to navigate the grey.‘
‘Tony Hyams-Parish, Adam Williams, John Yates are open minded, friendly, approachable, reliable, positive, knowledgeable and have wide expertise in different fields.‘
Change Grow Live
St Marys University
Greater Brighton Metropolitan College
Crawley Borough Council
Brewers Decorator Centres
TC Facilities Management Limited
The BRIT School
- Provides ongoing advice on harmonisation issues arising from merger of City College (Brighton) and Northbrook FE Colleges.
- Provided representation in a complex Employment Tribunal claim for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Advising on a collective consultation during a large-scale restructuring and redundancy process.
- Conducted the successful defence of a five dayTribunal case brought by a former manager alleging unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Acted for the client against whistle blowing claims brought by a pilot in respect of cabin crew members alleged to be under the influence of alcohol.
At Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP, Michael Cole, who is well respected in the market, offers clients a wealth of experience in discrimination cases, TUPE, business reorganisations and various workplace disputes. Working alongside senior associate Liz Cardy, he advises on unfair dismissal claims, settlement agreements, grievance and redundancy procedures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is always fast to respond to questions with excellent answers that any non-legal professional can understand and act upon.’
‘Their knowledge on any given subject is strong and they are well managed in keeping costs to a minimum whilst providing sound advice.’
Grand Prix Legends
The Recruitment Consultancy Ltd/Surrey HR Forum
Finance and Leasing Association
- Advised the client on a contentious TUPE transfer involving more than 30 employees employed at over 20 sites.
- Advising on restructuring at a senior level.
- Dealing with a group grievance and various discrimination claims.
- Acting on a particularly contentious restrictive covenant issue.
- Providing bespoke training services to a local group of HR professionals.
'With a very commercial approach', the impressive employment and immigration team at Stevens & Bolton LLP is led by the 'exceptional' Kerry Garcia. Equally well-regarded partner Hannah Ford has a track record dealing with tribunal litigation; Lloyd Davey concentrates on clients within the technology, media and retail sectors and is highlighted for his offering on the full range of HR advice; and senior associate Abigail Etchells has a focus on TUPE matters and agency worker issues. The team has collective skills across all aspects of employment advisory and contentious cases.
‘We have worked with the employment team on a wide range of matters including complex discrimination claims, tribunal cases, restructures, holiday pay, executive remuneration, immigration and judicial mediation. They make the effort to fully understand our business and are commercially focused, responsive, pragmatic and flexible in their approach and pro-active in developing solutions.’
‘The team provides good solid advice and a good service – it’s commercial in its approach – looking to support their clients.’
‘Kerry Garcia provides top notch advice and support whilst being pragmatic and is in tune with business needs.’
‘Hannah Ford can always be relied upon to provide no nonsense advice in plain English, which we value hugely. She has supported us through complex cases and has received high praise for her approach and commercial eye.’
‘Lloyd Davey is responsive and provides concise, accurate, commercial advice. He is willing to add extra information and will discuss additional issues or angles he has noted.’
BOC/The Linde Group
FF Group (Links of London/Folli Follie/Juicy Couture brands)
Kia Motors (UK)
Godiva UK/Godiva Global
CBRE Managed Services
Sports Information Services
Surrey Satellite Technology
Papa John’s GB
Cambridge Display Technology
- Continues to handle the client’s employment tribunal caseload and provide other employment law and HR support – this has included successfully defending a number of tribunal claims.
- Continuing to provide ongoing advisory assistance in relation to all employment issues which include GDPR compliance, TUPE advice on the insourcing of a previously outsourced customer call centre, senior executive appointments and exits and grievances.
- Advising in relation to UK employment matters, including GDPR compliance, agency worker advice as well as other employee relations issues.
- Advising Diebold Nixdorf in relation to TUPE in connection with several large contracts. Continued to advise HR and management in relation to general HR and employment matters including working time issues, redundancies and post-merger matters.
- Advising on a range of diverse employment issues, including GDPR compliance, the employment status of freelancers, zero hours contracts and other employee relations issues.
Led by the 'standout' Rebecca Jorgensen, the asb law LLP team handles a wide range of contentious cases concerned with discrimination or redundancy issues. It also serves its clients on advisory/HR matters such as TUPE and issues arising out of corporate reorganisations. It provides a range of training programmes for HR professionals and uses sophisticated technology to manage costs and fees.
‘It is a tight-knit and supportive team. They are responsive, easy to deal with and provide sound pragmatic advice. They offer options and potential solutions, clearly explaining the benefits and risks to all. A pleasure to deal with.’
‘Rebecca Jorgensen stands out as being very special. She understands our business very well and always does her best for us and helps us to see things that may not be so obvious. She advises us on strategic options and tactics, I have utmost confidence in Rebecca.’
‘Gail Brookes is a very astute lawyer but what makes her stand out from her competitors is her ability to manage difficult clients to ensure that they remain focused on achieving their objective. She is able to see the wood for the trees and her skill is ensuring her clients do too.’
Leaders Romans Group Limited
Mid Sussex District Council
Ultimate Insurance (part of the Markerstudy group of companies)
- Defended a disability discrimination claim which had complex legal issues relating to jurisdiction and the status of the claimant. The claim was successfully settled.
- Provided strategic advice in relation to the employment aspects of a high-value acquisition. Also provided strategic advice on a favourable settlement with respect to a senior exit from the business.
- Day-to-day provision of general advice and advised on a complex redundancy process involving an employee on maternity leave. Also advised on a TUPE transfer in relation to the award of a service contract.
- Advised in relation to a complex restructure and redundancy situation involving a woman on maternity leave. Also provided TUPE support on a corporate deal.
- Providing general advice and successfully settled a complex disability discrimination tribunal claim brought by an employee who remained employed throughout. Also provided strategic advice on managing the risks of unfair dismissal and discrimination claims in relation to the exit of a number of employees.
Barlow Robbins LLP acts for national and international clients and individuals on a comprehensive range of employment matters ranging from the employment aspects of M&A deals to employment tribunal and High Court claims involving issues such as disability discrimination and whistleblowing. David Ludlow has especially broad expertise; Joanna Lada–Walicki and Ben Collingwood focus on education- and charities-related work and the much appreciated senior associate Michelle Tudor takes on discrimination, maternity, paternity and other family-related issues especially in the education sector.
‘We have found Barlow Robbins to be knowledgeable, realistic and extremely human in their dealings with us.’
‘I have always found Barlow Robbins to provide a professional but accessible service. We regularly attend briefings and updates hosted by Barlow Robbins. These provide great insight into legislative updates and case law and give practical applications of law for employers to take away and implement.‘
‘David Ludlow has been very responsive on all employment matters providing very good advice and support. In addition, there is a clear understanding of our business and the need to build effective long term relationships.’
‘Senior associate Michelle Tudor has dealt with a range of employment matters and has brought her knowledge both of the law and the education sector to the forefront.’
‘Michelle Tudor’s questioning is brilliant and is able to pull the key and relevant points and themes from what can be an overly emotive area. We have learnt a lot from her approach. She has a calm and collected approach to everything and always manages to reassure and guide in a balanced manner – and is committed to achieving the best possible outcome for us.’
Pinnacle Foods Limited
Explore Learning Limited
Wey Education PLC
Midatech Pharma PLC
Nyman Resourcing Limited
Focus 21 Limited
ENS Recruitment Limited
D4T4 Solutions PLC
Plum Products Limited
- Represented the client in the Employment Tribunal and successfully defended a claim of disability discrimination by a former employee.
- Advised on defending a disability discrimination claim by a former employee.
- Advised the shareholders of Sys-Teams Limited on the sale of their shares to Stratacache Limited and the new fixed term contracts of employment.
- Advised on the preparation of contracts of employment for the client’s European employees, including those based in the UK, France and Germany.
- Advised a senior executive of a large multinational in connection with a claim of unfair dismissal against his employer which included a long term incentive plan with the employer’s American parent company.
Brachers provides an all-round service to its healthcare, leisure and manufacturer clients and has a notable list of automotive and aerospace industry clients. It operates a specialist human resources consultancy, Kent HR, in addition to handling Tribunal and High Court litigation. Team head Catherine Daw provides the healthcare expertise in addition to serving clients in areas such as aerospace and Antonio Fletcher, who is part of the agricultural team, handles restructures, TUPE transfers and employee disputes. Fellow partner Colin Smith has similarly broad expertise including collective redundancy programmes.
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust
Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Royal British Legion Industries
- Successfully represented the client in a high-profile, High Court action based on the national doctors’ disciplinary process.
- Represented a NHS Trust in relation to a substantial claim for disability and sex discrimination.
- Advised in connection with a subject access request and support in dealing with a complaint to the Information Commissioner.
- Advice on a large-scale collective redundancy process involving over 300 employees.
- Advice on the departure of senior directors with cross border implications.
Furley Page Solicitors is known for its specialism in the education and charity sectors - providing the full range of HR support and handling contentious cases. Andrew Masters can handle large-scale redundancy, restructuring and TUPE and discrimination cases and he is also a workplace mediator. Senior associate Amanda Okill also takes on the full range of employment matters and provides in-house training on HR issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm delivers a very high quality of service and manages to run a very effective HR training programme alongside its core business. This has enabled them to get to know our HR personnel well, which further strengthens our working relationship. Very much a people-based, friendly and supportive firm.’
‘Andrew Maters and Amanda Okil are consummate professionals. Andrew is never too busy to take a call and will always provide sound, pragmatic and accurate advice. He also knows the independent education sector extremely well which adds weight to his opinion.’
University of Kent
Dean & Chapter of Canterbury
The Duke of York’s Royal Military School
The Brett Group
Kent College, Canterbury
The Dover Federation for the Arts Multi Academy Trust
Demelza House Hospice Care for Children
Swale Borough Council
Maidstone Borough Council
St Lawrence College
- Advised the client during industrial action taken by the University and College Union.
- Advised a client in a serious disciplinary dispute with a senior teacher.
- Defended a client in respect of an age discrimination claim.
- Defended a client in an Employment Tribunal disability claim.
Loch Employment Law
The team at Loch Employment Law is highlighted for its 'excellent service and advice'. Pam Loch is the well-known team head of a practice that encompasses the full range of contentious and non-contentious advice, mediation, HR and workplace management including employee health. Alex Kiernan and Helen Baxter cover all aspects of employment matters, the latter has a focus on mediation and the settlement of disputes. Caroline Denbow has expertise in HR compliance issues and pension matters and Janette Protheroe joined the team from Kingsley Napley LLP in January 2019.
‘They know employment law inside out which makes this firm unique.’
‘The HR consultants have a wealth of experience to draw from that combined with being able to apply common sense to HR issues has been a refreshing experience. I particularly like their pro-active approach to topical work place issues that are covered in their regular, free evening seminars.’
‘The practice is strong in all aspects of employment law and quick to respond with accurate advice. We deal with other firms in the Tunbridge Wells area and Loch compare favourably to them.’
‘Pam Loch is very good at explaining the situation in bog-standard English without the legal jargon which most law firm do.’
‘Alex Keriman also explains in basic English which is very helpful as the legal jargon can be misleading and hard to understand.’
‘Pam Loch, Julie Nicholds and Sally Bedeau have always provided us with excellent service and advice.’
‘Alex Kiernan and Pam Loch both have given me a highly professional and tailored service. They have dealt with matters quickly and efficiently in a dispute resolution and have given tailored advice on employment contracts.’
Pinden Ltd no
Exchange Data International
- Represented the client to defend a claim for unlawful deduction of wages brought by two employees, following their dismissal for gross misconduct.
- Following a claim for constructive dismissal brought by a senior employee worth £165,000, the firm successfully negotiated a settlement to reduce the client’s liability to £15,000 and avoiding court costs.
- Advising on an exit strategy for a senior employee, negotiated a settlement agreement and successfully defending a complaint brought by the ex-employee under the Data Protection regulations.
- Successfully defended a claim in the Employment Tribunal for automatic unfair dismissal following whistleblowing on health and safety grounds.
- Assisted a large firm with issues surrounding the health problems and sickness absence of one of its employees, devising an exit strategy and preparing a settlement agreement with minimal compensation, following the employee’s dismissal.
Martin Searle Solicitors
Acting for both employees and local and national employers, Martin Searle Solicitors is a specialist practice that is defined by its drive for workplace equality. 'Standout and passionate' team head Fiona Martin overseas a range of cases concerned with all types of discrimination, particularly relating to maternity. It also handles employer matters; TUPE and reorganisations and various HR matters. The 'outstanding' Matthew Grant is gaining a reputation for his handling of Employment Tribunal and County Court work involving discrimination and unfair dismissals, especially those associated with pregnancy and two cases in these areas have gone to the Court of Appeal.
Other key lawyers:
Cate Searle; Matthew Grant; Sarah Henderson
‘The practice has the ability to develop a coherent litigation strategy, which flowed through from the first contact through to the eventual, successful outcome, at both the initial Employment Tribunal and the Appeal Hearings.’
‘The practice is unique in the excellent service delivered at the same level of a central London solicitor but with realistic costs. The firm is accessible almost immediately when contacted reducing anxiety over ongoing legal battles.’
‘The team not only has excellent legal knowledge but it particularly looks to find the best practical solutions for its clients or, if necessary, to fight to achieve a just outcome. I admire the passion, energy and determination this team devotes to the cause of its clients and yet it is not afraid to seek alternative ways of securing a good result by whatever means is most appropriate.’
‘Cate Searle and Chloe Scarr are both brilliant lawyers and experts in their field. They are impressive in their approach, dedicated, responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Fiona and Cate are both extremely passionate about the business and the law, this is reflected in the way they work both with clients and their team. Fiona especially will really fight tooth and nail for her clients.’
‘Fiona stands out for her sound judgement and commercial common sense but is also extremely good at understanding the real needs of her clients and considering things from their point of view. She cares deeply about her work and will fight her client’s corner fiercely to achieve the right result.’
‘Matthew Grant has very good technical knowledge which he applies effectively and is very thorough in his preparation.’
‘Matthew Grant is outstanding in his field. I have met very few individuals who have such compassion and understanding of battles in the workplace.’
‘Matthew was a bit of a Rottweiler – in a good way. He chased, cajoled and enforced deadlines so that the issue moved at a good pace.’
‘Matthew Grant is a young and enthusiastic guy and he proved to be perfect for our task.’
Sussex Interpreting Service
Brighton & Hove Chamber of Commerce
JE Bennett Law
Wiltshire Farm Foods
Surrey Rest Homes
BBH Legal Services
- Providing transactional employment law support in an acquisition, including TUPE advice.
- Representing a senior HR professional who received unequal pay, who was side-lined after becoming pregnant, and whose job was advertised whilst on maternity leave.
- Successfully obtained an order for a deposit to be paid by the opponent employer and won claims for wrongful and unfair dismissal and disability discrimination.
- Successfully obtained damages for disability discrimination and an increase in the client’s salary so as to meet immigration requirements in order to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.
The team at Mundays LLP acts for individuals as well as well-known corporate clients. Its work spans corporate restructurings, outsourcings and TUPE and senior executive exits. Andrew Knorpel leads on much of this work in addition to data protection matters. Likewise Fiona McAllister has expertise in a range of advisory and contentious cases.
Other key lawyers:
ACS International School
BIMM t/a British & Irish Modern Music Institute
PG Motors t/a Unbeatablecar
Pall Mall & Woodcote Park Clubhouses t/a Royal Automobile Club
TY Danjuma Family Office
Sherrards Employment Law Solicitors offers niche expertise to a roster of impressive airline, retail, logistics and insurance clients, among others. Harry Sherrard has a wealth of experience advising in areas such as complex global restructures and day to day HR matters. He also conducts training programmes and writes extensively. Fellow partners Dan Soanes is noted for Employment Tribunal work and Victoria Bevis focuses on TUPE and a range of equality matters.
Harry Sherrard; Dan Soanes; Victoria Bevis
Other key lawyers:
‘Sherrards offers fast, friendly and efficient service. They have in-depth knowledge and are able to see problems from many different perspectives. They add value to all our employee related issues and a seamless service.’
‘Victoria Beavis provides insightful, considered and easy to understand guidance and advice. Her whole approach is based on being professional, approachable, efficient and ensuring the best outcome for the client.’
Black and Veatch
- Handled the UK aspects of a complex global restructure involving advice on all aspects of UK employment law implications.
- Advising on a nationwide restructure involving TUPE and collective consultation on redundancies.
- Advising on all UK employment law matters as a new retainer client.
- Handled a long-running, high-value dispute over a pension fund. Successfully settled the case for less than 10% of the original claim.
- Providing advice on a series of complex TUPE transactions following the loss of high-value transportation contracts in a unionised environment with valuable and high-profile customers.
Nick Hobden and the team at Thomson Snell & Passmore are considered 'exceptional' in their handling of Employment Tribunal and High Court claims concerning unfair dismissals and other employee disputes. Hobden also advises on senior executive terminations and business restructuring exercises. Highly recommended senior associate Ben Stepney has a notable focus on the healthcare sector and advises on areas such as sexual discrimination and harassment.
Other key lawyers:
‘I really felt the whole team cared about our issues and the outcome – an exceptional piece of work, we were so pleased with the advice and the outcome.’
‘Ben Stepney and his colleagues guided us through a complicated dismissal with great professionalism. They were responsive, supportive and pragmatic at every step.’
‘TSP as a firm has real integrity and they care.‘
‘I particularly valued Ben Stepney’s advice. It wasn’t just that he gave sound legal advice – helping me to understand our position and options at each stage – but he was also very supportive during a difficult time. I can’t recommend him or the firm highly enough.’
Avante Care & Support
Seacon Terminals (part of the Seacon Group)
Rivermead Inclusive Trust
Compagnie Fruitiere UK
Airflow Developments Limited
St Thomas More Roman Catholic Primary School
Southward Diocesan Board of Education Multi-Academy Trust
- Represented Sin defending an employment tribunal claim regarding employment status of a contractor.
- Advised the client on its cross-border GDPR compliance.
- Supported the client throughout an employee TUPE consultation process.
- Represented a local school in successfully defending an employment tribunal claim for unfair dismissal.
Boddy Matthews Limited is 'a niche practice with a skilled team' that can provide the full range of employment and HR services for corporate clients and senior executives. It helps clients with a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters including dismissals and also assists with settlement agreements and TUPE cases. Helen Boddy, who heads the practice, 'stands out for her excellent work'. Harriet Hutchinson takes on a range of both contentious and advisory work and the team is further enhanced by the experienced consultant Michal Stein.
‘Boddy Matthews is a small firm which stands out for the excellence of its people; Helen Boddy and Harriet Hutchinson. Particularly notable were their abilities to quickly grasp all elements of a complex matter and to take a pragmatic view of what next steps to take.’
‘I received good, practical advice. The team takes time to understand a client’s organisation and to tailor advice accordingly.’
‘Helen Boddy is great at communicating clearly, cutting through a maze of facts and putting across the salient points. She is a great negotiator and clearly has a lot of experience in this area – all of which resulted in a settlement far in excess of what I originally thought. Moreover she gave me a great deal of moral support through what was a very stressful experience.’
‘Both Helen Boddy and Kate Matthews go out of their way to fit around their clients’ time requirements. They are extremely flexible and their advice is of a high quality, and pragmatic. They are both extremely easy to work with.’
‘Helen Boddy is an excellent employment lawyer; she looks at cases from a pragmatic as well as professional angle, resulting in helpful and comprehensive advice to the client. I have referred individuals to her for employment advice.’
Age UK Croydon
Rolls Royce Power Systems AG
PJ Valves (PJ Pipe & Valve Co Ltd)
Saracen Horse Feeds Ltd
Storm Building Ltd
Macher Distribution Ltd
The AES Corporation
Lindner Interiors Ltd
Senior Executives mainly ex-City with 6 figure salaries.
- Advising the trustees and senior leadership team of Age UK Croydon on caring for older people in the London Borough of Croydon; on day to day employment issues including performance management, disciplinary and grievance procedures, restructuring and benchmarking.
- Advising Rolls Royce Power Systems AG on TUPE matters.
- Providing PJ Pipe & Valve Co Ltd with a range of employment and HR support including restructuring and change management, reviewing and revising employment framework documents and non-executive director service agreements.
- Advising Saracen Horse Feeds Ltd on cross- border employment issues in France; Germany and the UAE in respect of consultancy arrangements for development and customer co-ordination activities.
- Advising Storm Building Ltd on a range of matters including advice and support with allegations of disability discrimination in respect of dyslexia brought by an ex-employee and advice on grievance and appeal processes and analysis of the question of disability for the purposes of the Equality Act 2010.
Clarkson Wright & Jakes
Clarkson Wright & Jakes team are known for efficiency and practicality. Led by Judith Curran, it is entrusted with a range of sensitive cases involving unfair dismissal, harassment or bullying and exits of senior executives. It acts on many of these matters for high-level individuals including disputes over restraint of trade and share options, but also acts for corporate clients on reorganisation matters and a range of ongoing employment issues. Associate Laura Claridge inspires confidence with her handling of contentious and advisory work.
Other key lawyers:
‘We find Clarkson Wright & Jakes to be very professional, helpful, efficient and friendly.’
‘They have extensive knowledge on employment law and provide practical advice on how to resolve or move issues forwards.’
‘They provide good value for money and combine a personable approach with professionalism.’
‘We find that Laura Claridge provides expert advice promptly and ensures we fully understand the legal situation. She listens attentively, explains the law to us and if there are any options, she explains these and we feel confident in progressing once we have spoken to her.’
Kent Local Medical Committee
Panalpina World Transport
Laerdal Medical Limited
Mytime Active Limited
Foresters Holdings (Europe)
Lloret Control Systems
Downs Solicitors LLP is highlighted for providing effective advice combined with notable client care. David Seals, who heads the group, has a broad practice including acting on a collective consultation regarding a a large redundancy project. Nicola O’Dwyer and Emily Kidd carry out a range of advisory and contentious work and consultant Keith Potter offers a wealth of expertise across the practice area.
‘They provide straightforward, practical advice, very quick response times and have a pragmatic approach.’
‘Downs Solicitors has provided me with advice on a wide range of employment law issues. I like their personal approach, their ability to grasp the key factors of any situation quickly and provide practical advice. I particularly appreciate their prompt response to both telephone calls and emails which is invaluable in certain situations.’
‘The team are very welcoming, professional and polite. They provide expert knowledge and really care about their clients. Their high-quality service delivery with results shows how good a firm Downs Solicitors really is.‘
‘Very personable – they treat you like an individual rather than a case.’
‘David Seals gives straightforward, practical advice – quick response times and a pragmatic approach.’
‘I work mainly with David Seals who is friendly, approachable and quick to respond by both telephone and email.‘
‘David Seals provides honest, legal advice and ensures that all information is clear and precise, working methodically through any legal issues he is commissioned to provide.’
‘Keith Potter is responsive and patient and willing to explain options. He takes into account the size of the client and resources available in formulating his advice.’
Morrisons Solicitors LLP
The Morrisons Solicitors LLP team, led by Joanne Kavanagh, provides the full range of employment expertise to corporate and high-net-worth individuals. Advice on TUPE and outsourcing is provided in conjunction with corporate colleagues as well as disputes, tribunal work and breaches of post-termination restrictive covenants. It also offers a range of pricing structures, including a fixed-fee service - Morr Support. Based in Wimbledon, Emma McLoughlin is noted for her 'tactical' nous.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very committed to their clients. I have been very impressed with Morrisons, especially the employment department. The solicitors I have worked with are bright, knowledgeable on the law and are commercially aware.’
‘I have worked with Joanne Kavanagh and Emma McLoughlin, both of whom are outstanding. Joanne approaches her cases with tactical considerations at the forefront of her mind.’
‘Emma McLoughlin is a brilliant solicitor. I have been impressed with her knowledge of the law and understanding of tactical considerations. Emma is adept at considering the minutiae of a case whilst also being able to look at it holistically; this is a key skill for any lawyer.’
Jellyfish Group Limited
Winterbotham Darby & Co
A major, global car manufacturer
Rix & Kay Solicitors LLP provides the full range of employment and HR assistance to both employees and employers and has a strong roster of corporate clients. Managing partner Bruce Hayter works closely with the corporate department and handles matters such as TUPE, redundancies and senior exits. Victoria Reagan also acts on such matters in addition to discrimination, harassment and whistleblowing cases and Amy White provides comprehensive HR expertise.
Parker Building Supplies
Broadham Care Limited
Quattro Group Limited
Focus 4 U Limited
Haven Security Limited
Seddlescombe Golf Club Management Limited
Watton Hall Limited
- Working with the corporate team following an acquisition, assisted with all employment aspects, due diligence and reviewing and updating employment contracts and company policies.
- Acted for a claimant in successfully bringing claims against a firm of estate agents for unfair dismissal, breach of contract and entitlement to a redundancy payment.
- Providing general employment advice and assisting with complex disputes between the employer and outgoing executives.
- Providing general employment advice including advice in connection with reorganisations, senior executive contracts and terms and conditions of employment.
- Advising on a disciplinary process against a senior employee and in connection with an ensuing constructive unfair dismissal claim.
Thackray Williams LLP
Thackray Williams LLP serves its individual and commercial clients on a range of complex disputes involving areas such as disability and sex discrimination. Emma Thompson has handled a highly contentious gender reassignment case. Other team members including William Addis, associate Sarah Wilkinson and Lisa Rothon provide expertise in unfair and constructive unfair dismissals, sexual harassment, corporate reorganisations and redundancy consultations.
Thomas Mansfield LLP
A largely London-based team at Thomas Mansfield LLP acts for clients, both employees and employers, around the South East. Named partners Jonathan Mansfield and Neill Thomas together with Meredith Hurst and Angie Crush provide a collective wealth of experience in discrimination and unfair dismissal cases and issues such as holiday pay as well as senior executive exits.
Meredith Hurst; Jonathan Mansfield
‘They provided clear pragmatic advice re the process and also HR issues.‘
‘We use Thomas Mansfield to assist with employment tribunal cases. They always provide practical common sense advice and are happy to suggest settling of court even if this reduces their own fees.’
‘Jonathan was clear, straight forward and a pleasure to work with. If I asked a difficult question he would give me options plus a recommendation and also risks associated with options.’
‘We deal exclusively with Meredith who is brilliant. Practical, humorous and always interested in helping you as a client but also as a person.’
Stagecoach (South East, South West, South, West and Manchester)
Borealis Driver Services
Chartered Institute for Public Finance and Accountancy
HCA Coating Limited
FM Conway Limited
Old Thorns Hotel Group
Sheidt & Bacchmann (UK)
- Acted successfully for the employee in a claim of victimisation for raising the question of race discrimination.
- Completed a long-running matter defending a client against claims of race discrimination. An appeal to the Court of Appeal was pending when the matter was settled.
- Acted on a claim for National Minimum Wage for sleep-in workers, a matter involving an appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Assisted in an appeal to the Court of Appeal concerned the taxation of termination payments and injury to feelings claims in the context of discrimination
TWM Solicitors LLP has been enlarged since Anthony Wilcox merged his practice Wilcox & Co with the firm in September 2018. The practice handles corporate employment advice; large re-organisations, redundancies, relocations and TUPE transfers and Patrick Stewart is especially skilled in Employment Tribunal work involving unfair dismissals, discriminations, especially regarding disability and whistle blowing.
Anthony Wilcox; Patrick Stewart
‘They have the ability to create advice aligned to your business model, as opposed to many “one solution fits all” practices. They provide clear options/ solutions with risks highlighted, thus enabling fact-based decisions to be made.’
‘Clear advice; quick to react when needs arise with excellent follow up and guidance. They have an ability to converse with stakeholders, naturally and professionally.’
Johnston Sweepers Limited
Carpet & Flooring (Trading) Limited
Social Care Limited
Britannia Homecare Limited
Walton Heath Golf Club
Image Skincare UK
ATAG Heating Technology UK
- Acted for the client in respect of a worker supplied to a local authority, who made a complaint of disability discrimination (mental impairment). The matter was settled prior to the Preliminary Hearing.
- Assisted the client on large projects including relocations and reorganisations.
- Acted for the client on a wrongful dismissal and unlawful deduction from wages claim.
- Assisted the client with GDPR advice, drafted related policies and advised on their application and and on the transfer of data outside of the EEA.
Irwin Mitchell's Gatwick team is headed by London-based Sybille Steiner. It provides a comprehensive range of advisory and disputes-related expertise and it can call on experts in areas such as immigration, regulatory, safeguarding and pensions in addition to corporate and litigation teams. Senior associate Charlotte Sloan heads the Gatwick division and together with Matthew Irvine and Sarah Burke, serves an impressive range of clients from large PLCs to smaller regional businesses and includes a strong involvement with the education sector.
- Provides all day to day HR and employment law advice to the Association of Colleges – this dedicated advisory service cover over 300 colleges across the UK which are member colleges of the Association.
Outset Legal LLP
Outset Legal LLP offers a blend of HR consultancy assistance in addition to handling a range of contentious cases involving discrimination matters, fair pay issues and senior executive exits and other redundancies. Team head Darren Stevens has a wealth of experience in dealing with HR issues and Jonathan Gauton on areas of senior executive team structures, handling employee disputes as well as advising on pensions and wider commercial matters.
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Gauton; Lorraine Williams; Megan O’Hara
‘The expert service they provide is pragmatic and commercially approached, delivered in a timely and friendly way.’
‘The team are very welcoming, helpful, professional and their advice is always balanced with risk percentages included.’
‘The team really got to know our complex business quickly and were friendly and approachable. When you think you have a silly question we felt comfortable asking it. They were really quick to respond to our queries.’
‘Darren Stevens was outstanding. He has good industry knowledge and could adapt quickly to our needs.’
Independent Vet Care
Flight Centre UK
Barretts of Canterbury
Michels & Taylor
Fujifilm Specialty Ink Systems
Charities Aid Foundation
Swale Academies Trust
Holland America Group: Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Yachts of Seabourn
Carnival plc: P&O Cruises and Cunard
The Royal Veterinary Group
- Advised on a complex disciplinary process over the alledged theft of confidential information and which involved forensic IT, misuse of confidential information and attempted secret profits together with handling related Employment Tribunals.
- Advised on the employment aspects of a management buyout – acting for the management team, including related executive contacts, settlement agreements and immigration visa requirements.
- Advising an employer facing multiple holiday pay claims from gig economy workers.
- Advising a range of regional and national healthcare and social care providers on complex national minimum wage issues, including in relation to sleeping shifts and on call arrangements as well as the treatment of pay in the context of longer term educational and vocational placements
- Defending a constructive unfair dismissal claim brought by an executive and bringing a counter-claim for breach of contract.
Pure Employment Law
Pure Employment Law 'has a wealth of experience and expertise'. Its clients range from large corporates to small employers and employees and it offers a comprehensive range of services from tribunal cases and disciplinary matters to redundancies, the exit of senior employees and settlement agreements and TUPE transfers. Peter Stevens ('one of the best') and Nicola Brown, who co-founded the firm in 2010, are recognised for driving a high level of service and advice.
Peter Stevens; Nicola Brown
‘Their advice is excellent and gives clarity to the legal position and risk. I also value their experience in suggesting pragmatic ways forward. Aside from the quality of advice, their customer service is of a very high standard with quick responses and a very approachable, listening style.’
‘Nicola Brown and Peter Stevens are the two people who really drive the level of service. I have used a number of advisers over the years and would rate Pure as one of the best I have worked with.’
‘They have deep knowledge and provide prompt responses and value for money.’
‘Nicola Brown’s professional and friendly approach along with her prompt response makes a real difference.’
‘I find the team to be friendly, understanding, practical, supportive and responsive. There is no unnecessary bureaucracy and it is always easy to get hold of someone. They also cover for each other so I never have to wait long for a reply.’
‘I appreciate their specialist expert knowledge and commercial thinking. They understand our business and the practical legal advice we require.’
‘They stand out because the partners give you individual attention and take the time to understand your requirements. On top of this we have always found the fees very reasonable.’
‘All the staff at Pure are immensely knowledgeable, you can talk with any team member and they will refer you to someone else if your inquiry fits them more. Compared to other firms, they offer a very personal service, getting to know and fully understand their clients.‘
Study Group UK
Tsubaki Nakashima (TN UK)
Moore Stephens (South) LLP
Flight Directors Scheduled Services
Kreston Reeves LLP
St. Wilfrid’s Hospice
- Assisted the client with a collective consultation exercise arising from the relocation of its UK headquarters.
- Acting on an on-going basis covering all the client’s employment law issues, both the day to day and contentious.
- Conducting a thorough investigation into highly sensitive disciplinary allegations relating to safeguarding.
- Represented the client in relation to the employment issues arising from the £17.5m share sale of part of its business.
- Assisting with complex issues arising from a sexual harassment allegation against a senior member of staff.