Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx in South East
The employment department at B P Collins LLP handles a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters, acting for both corporate and high-net-worth private clients. The team specialises in restrictive covenants, director duties and complex Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal cases, as well as in business immigration matters, internal HR assistance and advice on GDPR implementation. Sectors of expertise include retail, leisure, manufacturing, aviation, architecture, construction, and pharmaceuticals. Jo Davis heads the practice. Kathryn Fielder and Chris Brazier are other key contacts.
‘They were clearly experts in the field we required (employment and commercial), and we were successful in gaining an interim injunction and settlement in our favour through their skilled approach.‘
‘Jo Davis is single-minded, hard-working and inventive, both with regard to legal arguments and factual inquiries.‘
‘Jo Davis’s devotion to her clients’ cases and her ability to get under the skin of thorny employment problems lead clients to trust her implicitly.‘
Frontline Security Services Ltd (Part of the Chubb Group)
TMD Technologies Ltd
Biffa Municipal Limited
Bic UK and Ireland Limited
CliniMed (Holdings) Limited
Daiichi Sankyo UK Ltd
Amtico International Limited
P B Donoghue (Construction) Limited
Ceva Animal Health Limited
Vestel UK Limited
- Acted for Forever Fuels Limited (part of Summerleaze Limited) on the employment-related aspects of the sale of the client’s assets (a wood pellet business) to Balcas Timber.
- Advising a client on the retirement of its manufacturing director.
- Advising a client on a matter involving a grievance alleging religious discrimination and a linked disciplinary investigation against the accused individuals.
- Advising a client on the early termination of an outsourcing contract with a third party.
- Assisted a client with preparation for compliance with GDPR.
Blaser Mills Law is home to a team that has expertise across the breadth of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters, including outsourcing and other TUPE issues, restrictive covenants, discrimination and whistleblowing claims. The practice acts mostly for employers, from small businesses to multi-national corporations and the not-for-profit sector. Advising overseas companies is an area of strength. James Simpson heads the practice. Managing partner Jonathan Lilley is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great attitude, in-depth knowledge, prompt service.‘
Stagecoach in Oxfordshire
- Acted for the Oxford Bus Company in a religious discrimination claim.
- Advised client on the complex redundancy of a senior executive.
- Assisted a client with its GDPR project, which included HR policies and procedures.
- Advised a client on a matter involving a data breach by an employee.
- Advised a client on its liability in a disability discrimination and personal injury claim.
The Milton Keynes-based employment team at Dentons is part of the nationwide people, reward and mobility practice, which specialises in a wide range of employment, benefits and immigration matters. The team has a longstanding expertise at the international level, catering for prestigious clients in the retail, transport, technology, media and telecommunications sectors. Sarah Beeby heads the practice. Senior associates Verity Buckingham and Michelle Lamb are also recommended.
‘They offer a practical and commercial approach to employment and HR matters.‘
‘I would highlight their ability to understand the commercial aspects of situations and the sound and practical advice they give for you to be able to achieve the results you need.‘
‘I have always found the team reliable, responsive and solution-focused.’
‘They are a pleasure to work with and an invaluable partner for our team.‘
TUI UK Retail/TUI Airways
Barclays Bank plc
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co Partners LLP
Auria Solutions Ltd
Cognita Schools Limited
Topland Group Holdings Limited
Virgin Atlantic Airways
Avis Budget Group
Sodexo Motivation Solutions UK Limited
Royal Mail Group
- Advised KKR on the employment aspects of its €6.85bn acquisition of Unilever’s global spreads business.
- Advising Auria Solutions Ltd on the implementation of bonus plans across 11 jurisdictions.
- Advising Cognita Schools Limited on all UK employment-related matters – including the defence of employment tribunal litigation, disciplinary and grievance issues, senior exits and general advice.
- Advised CK Holdings on the employment aspects of its €6.2bn acquisition of Magneti Marelli.
- Advising Wizz Air on the employment aspects of establishing its business in the UK.
EMW Law LLP
EMW Law LLP’s employment practice is well known for its expertise in a variety of complex Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal matters. It is also known for offering commercial and technical advice on major internal restructures and redundancy programmes, TUPE transfers and the enforcement of post-employment restrictions. The team has in-depth knowledge of the banking, retail and recruitment sectors. Jon Taylor heads the practice.
‘A really close-knit team which works well together and with us as a client.’
‘There is strength in depth for their size with great knowledge and expertise throughout.‘
‘EMW is a class act. For a relatively small firm, it punches substantially above its weight.‘
‘Everyone at EMW is thorough and careful. They always do a great job in preparing cases and generate great confidence with clients.‘
‘I find them a delightful firm with which to work.‘
‘Jon Taylor is excellent. Every pleading he drafts is thorough and comprehensive. He has strong legal skills and always analyses cases accurately and thoroughly. He has sound commercial judgment knowing when cases need to settle but is a formidable litigator.‘
Santander UK Plc
MHA MacIntyre Hudson
Royal College of Anaesthetists
Fisher & Paykel Appliances Ltd
Airwair International Limited
Suzuki GB Plc
- Providing training sessions to the HR consultancy team of a large bank, including training on disciplinaries and grievances, discrimination, managing sickness absence and letter and report writing.
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)
The employment team at IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett) has longstanding expertise in assisting UK subsidiaries of global companies, charities, construction, automotive, technology and pharmaceutical companies. The practice specialises in redundancy projects, TUPE matters, high-net-worth individuals’ personal employment issues as well as issues concerning the tax position of contractor workers. International work is another area of strength. Justin Govier heads the practice. Marc Jones , Richard Devall and associate Ed Marchant are also recommended.
‘A very commercial, client-focused firm.‘
‘This team has exceptional levels of client service and really goes the extra mile to put the client at ease.‘
‘Incredibly experienced, phenomenally dedicated lawyers.‘
‘The practice understands their clients’ needs very well and takes time to develop and preserve their relationships with clients.‘
‘Justin Govier provides fantastic client service . He’s very commercial, understanding of specific client needs, flexible and responsive.‘
‘Marc Jones is focused, knowledgeable, hard-hitting and fights like a Tasmanian devil for his clients.‘
‘Richard Devall is a stand-out partner.‘
‘Ed Marchant is bright, responsive, reliable – excellent support.‘
Clancy Group plc
WMF UK Ltd
Help Musicians UK
- Assisted a client with a high-level grievance investigation and ultimately negotiated the departure of 4 members of staff.
- Assisted a client when its managing director brought claims of constructive unfair dismissal, breach of contract and unlawful deduction of wages.
- Acted for the claimant in relation to complaints of pregnancy and maternity discrimination, unfair dismissal and detriment surrounding the client’s selection for redundancy.
- Advised a senior management team on resignations and suspension.
- Advised the shareholders of G2E Management Limited on the share sale to TMD Technologies Limited.
Sherrards Solicitors LLP’s employment team advises clients in sectors including retail and leisure, recruitment, franchising, logistics and pharmaceuticals. It provides both employment and HR advice in conjunction with transactional support on business mergers and acquisitions. The department has immigration capability and caters for a variety of international clients. Mark Fellows heads the practice. Joanne Perry is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘They seem to really care about not only doing a good job, but making you feel as though someone is listening to you and is determined to help. I also noticed how they will work extra hours to make sure urgent matters are dealt with.‘
‘The employment team have legal expertise and practical experience. They are excellent throughout their department for employment advice to individuals and to companies. Their HR consultancy is first rate.‘
‘Very commercial advice from friendly professionals. I have confidence in the answers I am given and they are relevant to our organisation and culture.‘
‘We have been delighted with the service provided by Mark Fellows, Joanne Perry and the team. They are very commercial in their mindset and understand the practicalities/difficulties of HR management, so give useful advice rather than just the simple legal position which is really appreciated. They always respond quickly if advice needed urgently.‘
‘Mark Fellows is like a good doctor in that he has been supporting me during a very difficult time.‘
‘The team’s support is fantastic. Joanne Perry in particular ensures she really understands our business and ensures we understand her advice.’
‘Joanne Perry gives practical advice and has a robust approach which makes the client feel that she is on their side but also making sure that a commercial view is taken.‘
‘Joanne Perry and Mark Fellows are both extremely friendly, professional and helpful.‘
Winkworth Franchising Limited
The Jewellery Channel Limited
Strax UK Limited
F H Bertling Limited
NewRiver REIT (UK) Limited
Bestival/ Camp Bestival
- Representing Berry Recruitment and providing ongoing employment support in relation to their own client base.
- Assisted New River REIT (UK) plc with all employment aspects on the purchase of a property portfolio.
- Advised Winkworth Franchising Limited on employment support in a number of their franchises.
- Advised Topgolf Limited in relation to employment support.
- Advised FH Bertling Limited in relation to employment support.
Debenhams Ottaway’s employment team assists corporate, owner-managed and family businesses and SMEs with the gamut of employment law-related matters, including disciplinary and grievance issues, redundancy and restructuring, Employment Tribunal representation, settlement agreements and restrictive covenants. The practice also advises individuals, particularly at the senior/board level, and works with a number of independent schools, care homes and charities in the Hertfordshire and north London area. Louise Attrup is practice head and associate Michael Kerrigan is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
- Assisting a major recruitment business with a claim for race discrimination, whistle blowing and unfair dismissal.
- Appled for an emergency injunction on behalf of a client to prevent the misuse of confidential information by an ex-employee.
- Acting for a marketing services company in defending claims of unfair dismissal.
- Acting for a client defending claims of sex discrimination, unfair dismissal and maternity-related discrimination made by an ex-employee.
- Advising a claimant on claims for age and sex discrimination and constructive dismissal.
Longmores Solicitors LLP’s employment practice advises employers and high-net-worth individuals on a comprehensive range of issues, including complex disciplinary and grievance matters, discrimination, reorganisations, TUPE and employment-related aspects of commercial transactions. The team specialises in the recruitment and education sectors and is particularly well versed in competition and restrictive covenants and injunction remedies. Richard Gvero heads the practice. Solicitors Miranda Mulligan and Jennifer Mansoor are also recommended.
‘They are customer focused and do what the say the will do. They never let the ball drop.‘
‘The team stand out for their unswerving commitment to getting the best outcome for their clients, and the creative approach they take to resolving their clients’ employment issues.‘
‘The team at Longmores Solicitors is always professional and very helpful. They listen to any issues on any HR matter we discuss with them and provide detailed and precise advice.‘
‘Richard Gvero is an imaginative problem solver and very committed to addressing his clients’ needs. He works exceptionally hard and clients love him.‘
‘Miranda Mulligan is a fine employment lawyer and a safe pair of hands for employment disputes.‘
‘Jennifer Mansoor discusses any and all issues in a very calm manner. Her knowledge of HR issues we have discussed with her is excellent.‘
Independent Clinical Services Ltd
Highways (UK) Ltd
Transport Planning Associates
Pulse Healthcare Ltd
RSA Consulting Ltd
Haileybury & Imperial Services College
Fusion Global Management LLP
Simmons (Bakers) Ltd
Endoline Machinery Ltd
Nord Gear (UK) Ltd
- Representing a client in relation to complex disciplinary and grievance proceedings.
- Advising Fusion Global Management LLP on a wide range of employment issues on a retainer basis.
- Advising a client regarding its reorganisation.
- Advising a senior employee in relation to a claim for unfair dismissal following allegations of misconduct.
- Representing a client in an agency worker claim.
The employment team at Machins Solicitors LLP has a track record in dealing with resolving disputes and advising on the employment issues connected with corporate transactions. Acting mainly for employers, but increasingly also for individuals, the practice has traditionally strong links with the transport, aviation and manufacturing sectors. The team specialises in discrimination matters, specifically, disability discrimination. Jackie Cuneen and Jacqueline Webb jointly lead the team, with the latter as acting head of practice.
Jackie Cuneen; Jacqueline Webb
‘A team of specialists within their individual fields and the ability to deal with a range of issues “in-house” in a consistently professional and efficient fashion.‘
‘Professionals with extensive knowledge and the ability to work with the lay man. Efficient and timely responses to all matters.‘
‘The Machins employment team is one of the few firms in the Home Counties which can genuinely claim to offer a “City quality” service outside of London.‘
‘Jacqueline Webb is tactically astute and incredibly driven in litigation. The mere fact that she is acting for a client improves their chances of success.‘
The employment team at Nockolds Solicitors acts for employer clients, from start-up businesses to major PLCs, while also developing a reputation for assisting high-net-worth individuals, senior executives and Latin American clients with UK employment issues. Advising on the TUPE aspects of business sales and acquisitions in close connection with the corporate and M&A department is an area of strength. The practice is headed by Darren Hayward. Gary Smith and London-based senior associate Joanna Sutton are other key contacts.
‘Nockolds offers all-round legal assistance. The team are professional, approachable, and speak in plain language that is easily understandable.‘
‘We have worked with Nockolds for a great number of years and have always been very pleased with the service.‘
‘Gary Smith is straightforward, he understands our business needs. He will explain things in a balanced way to help us make the right decision with regard to our people and the business.‘
‘I recommend Joanna Sutton – excellent interpersonal skills, straight talking and professional. And the most impressive quality is that beneath that veneer she has steely edge.‘
- Acted for a client in a large-scale collective redundancy consultation process involving nine trades unions.
- Represented a client in a high-value disability discrimination claim.
- Represented a client in an age discrimination claim.
- Represented a client in a large-scale whistleblowing claim.
- Advising a client on the restructure of its business.
SA Law LLP
SA Law LLP's employment team acts for both companies and individuals in relation to contract terms as well as contentious claims. The practice specialises in assisting clients from the employment agency, education, charity, non-profit and care sectors and GDPR advice is an area of growth. The practice head is Chris Cook. Keely Rushmore is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The advice is always well thought through and practical. The team is quick to respond to queries.‘
‘As there is so much expertise on offer from SA Law they can provide a legal expert on all areas so that it can be handled under one roof.‘
‘Chris Cook has a wide range of knowledge on the recruitment and employment industry.‘
‘Chris Cook is very helpful, quick to respond to queries and has a warm and friendly manner.‘
‘Keely Rushmore is excellent at assessing risk and exploring options to complex staffing matters.‘
Higher education institution based in London
Prominent Premier League football club
Iconic feature of the London skyline.
Top 100 Independent UK Boarding School
The UK’s leading provider of gifts and experiences
- Achieved a business-critical EAT decision in Centrepoint Soho’s favour in connection with an employment tribunal judgment made against the company in 2016.
Shoosmiths LLP’s employment team deals with Eployment Tribunal cases for major multi-national clients and is particularly experienced in handling sensitive senior executive exits, with a focus on regulated sectors such as financial services and healthcare. The practice’s services are also strong in higher education, retail and technology. Business immigration and data protection are areas of growth. Gwynneth Tan heads the practice. Senior associates Simon Fennell and Siobhan Atkin are other names to note.
‘Good cross section of skills and capabilities that we have used numerous times in a variety of circumstances, plus there is always someone there to help or point us in the right direction if needed.‘
‘They have real strength across the different areas of the employment discipline: tribunal, civil, injunctive. You name it, they have got it covered. And they have a very pleasant style and are accessible.’
‘The practice head is our personal first point of contact, she will always manage the project personally and we have used her for practical, pragmatic advice as well as help to handle delicate situations.‘
‘Siobhan Atkin has great attention to detail, a powerful command of complex papers and has excellent attitude towards clients. In negotiations, she always seems to get her clients a brilliant deal, and often a total capitulation from the other side.‘
DCS Recruitment Limited
The Open University
Ann Summers Limited
Motor Insurers Bureau
Transport Systems Catapult
- Providing strategic and day-to-day operational employment law support to DCS Recruitment Limited.
- Providing strategic and day-to-day operational employment law support to The Open University.
The employment practice at Tees Law handles the employment aspects of business reorganisations and changes, TUPE, data protection, discrimination, whistleblowing and GDPR advice. It is particularly well known for negotiating exit terms both on the employer and employee’s side. The client base includes names from the agricultural and civil aviation sectors. Robert Whitaker heads the practice, splitting his time between Chelmsford, Cambridge and Bishop’s Stortford. Associate Katherine Jameson is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very engaging and always available even at very short notice.‘
‘The thing that makes this team unique is its ‘hands on’ approach to cases which is unusual in a firm of this size. Each case is not just dealt with by a particular person but by the team as a whole‘.
‘The various team members all bring their particular strengths together to form a formidable resource. They are knowledgeable and robust but always problem solving and practical.‘
‘The individual that is the leading light of the team is Rob Whitaker. He is a solicitor of huge experience who can instantly put clients at their ease and give them the confidence that their case is being dealt with by capable hands.‘
‘I have worked with Robert Whitaker for many years and have been consistently impressed by his unfailing diligence, unflagging enthusiasm and precise judgement.‘
‘Katherine Jameson is robustly practical and brooks no nonsense from her opponents.‘
Bishop Stortford College
Billericay Dental Supplies Limited
Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers
Star Computers PLC
Kidney Cancer UK
Cambridge Market Research
- Delivering legal training for directors and senior managers at Billericay Dental Supplies Limited.
- Acting for a former business owner following his dismissal by the new owners.
- Handled an Employment Tribunal claim against a leading operator of independent schools.
- Advising client on employment contracts, carrying out due diligence, preparing settlement agreements and dealing with TUPE.
- Providing a client with in-depth advice on GDPR, discrimination, health and safety, disciplinary and dismissal procedures.
VWV’s employment team has a strong relationship with clients in the higher education, healthcare, life sciences and recruitment sectors. The practice has a solid reputation at the local as well as the national level, in particular for its employment-related work with a number of prestigious universities and schools. Michael Delaney heads the practice in the Watford office. Senior associate Rebecca Fox is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘They always provide pragmatic, commercially sound, insightful advice.‘
‘The team are always so polite and friendly, from junior staff to the top. They deal with any inquirers professionally and efficiently.‘
‘Michael Delaney has always been able to provide sound, robust, commercial prudent, advice. That is why we always return to VWV for counsel on employment law matters.‘
‘I could not ask for any more from a solicitor. Rebecca Fox is exceptional. Her knowledge of her subject area is immense. Whatever query I have, no matter how big or small, she knows the answer. She always finds time to help me and ensure I am doing everything appropriately. I feel confident running my business knowing Rebecca is there to support me‘.
Storm Technologies Limited
Visual Data Services Limited
John E Fells & Sons Limited
European Healthcare Group Plc
University of Southampton
College of Dentistry Limited
Brunel University London
- Represented Storm Technologies Limited, the respondent at the Watford Employment Tribunal.
- Assisted the client with TUPE information and consultation processes.
- Assisted European Healthcare Group Plc / Integrated Nursing Homes Limited with the disposal of a number of care homes within the group.
- Working closely with Brunel University’s HR team, advising on a wide variety of issues from individual settlement agreements to restructuring.
- Advised the University of Southampton on covering the absence on maternity leave of the University’s sole employment lawyer.
The employment team at Freeths LLP is well known in the Milton Keynes area and beyond for its sector expertise, which focuses in particular on education, food and drinks, logistics and telecoms. The practice is notable for its expertise in business immigration work and employment tribunal representations. Christopher Sing is the practice head.
London Luton Airport Operations
T-Systems – part of Deutsche Telekom
Landau Forte Charitable Trust
Helly Hansen (UK) Limited
Sports & Leisure Management (‘Everyone Active’ brand)
Lyreco UK Limited
Oxford Brookes University
- Acting for Sports & Leisure Management (‘Everyone Active’ brand) in defending tribunal claims, including those with elements of race, sex and age discrimination, whistleblowing and automatic unfair dismissal for raising health and safety concerns.
- Advised London Luton Airport on an Employment Tribunal disability discrimination claim.
Howes Percival LLP’s employment team in Milton Keynes is led by Simon deMaid who is particularly experienced in disability discrimination claims and senior executive terminations. The practice is well known for its work in the higher education, automotive and healthcare sectors, assisting a number of prestigious clients in the Milton Keynes area with the employment issues arising from acquisitions, disposals and restructuring projects. Associate Hannah Pryce is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Bosch Siemens Home Appliances
PJ Care Limited
Milton Keynes College
Welcome Break Group Limited
Getronics Services UK Limited
Nampak Plastics Europe Limited
World Vision UK
University of Northampton’s Student Union
Hillarys Blinds Limited
Digital Post Solution Limited
Barton Petroleum Limited
HRG UK Limited
RS Components Limited/Electrocomponents plc
- Advised a client in relation to all employment aspects of its £18m consortium bid for government funding for the creation of a new Institute of Technology at Bletchley Park.
- Advising an HR team on a complex race discrimination grievance.
- Advising on implementing actions and recommendations of an independent audit report, leading to multiple dismissals.
- Successfully advising a further education college on defending an unfair dismissal and disability discrimination claim.
Moorcrofts LLP’s employment team specialises in post termination restrictions, TUPE and restructuring. Gig economy issues and data subject access requests are areas of growth for the team. Clients include HR professionals in varied industries, from start-ups to mid-range multinationals, as well as senior executives. Matt Jenkin heads the practice.
‘They are very efficient and always respond immediately to any queries or concerns we have as a company.”Very responsive with a thorough knowledge of employment law.‘
‘They are very practical whilst being robust and analytical.‘
‘I recommend Matt Jenkin – very approachable, great response time, easy to work with, very knowledgeable.‘
‘Matt Jenkin is very pleasant and clear thinking.‘
Taylor Walton LLP’s practice handles all aspects of employment law including outsourcing and TUPE work, share options and incentivisation plans, exit planning, discrimination matters and support to the firm's commercial department. The team also undertakes tribunal work and other dispute resolution. Heather D Cowley heads the practice. Alec John Colson and associate Nicola Smyrl are other names to note.
Heather D Cowley
- Advised a direct subsidiary of Novanta Inc on the employment aspects of the acquisition of Zettlex Group.
- Advising the selling shareholders at Taylor James Ltd on the employment aspects of the sale of 100% of the issued shares in Taylor James Holdings to Wertheimer UK.
- Advising the selling shareholders on the employment aspects of the sale of Hitec Lift Trucks to Briggs Equipment UK.
- Advised shareholders on the employment aspects of the sale of 100% of the shares in Jeanie Marshal Foods to West Hill Acquisitions.
The expertise of Woodfines LLP’s team covers the whole spectrum of employment law, ranging from general advisory work to matters involving redundancies, discrimination, the transfer of businesses, dispute resolution and employer representation at Employment Tribunals and in civil courts. The main contacts are Maria Gallucci in Milton Keynes and Andrew Buckley in Bedford.
Maria Gallucci; Andrew Buckley