Corporate tax in South East
The corporate tax team at Blake Morgan LLP is best known for its focus on the tax-related aspects of acting for both companies and venture capitalist firms on equity fund raising and mid-tier M&A activity. The practice has a growing portfolio of public and private companies and has been increasing its involvement in cross-border deals with incoming investment from the US into the UK and Europe as well as UK’s expansion into the US. Legal director Cathy Bryant heads the practice nationwide. Senior solicitor John Shallcross is a name to note in the Southampton office. Simon Court has retired.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Kendall and Others
Gresham Technologies plc
Andrew Dunkerley and others
Harwood Wealth Management Group plc
Lucketts Holdings Limited
CVS (UK) Limited
- Advised the shareholders of Kendalls Group on its sale to Aggregate Industries for an undisclosed eight figure sum.
- Advised the shareholders of South Africa Lodge Holdings Limited and Kitnocks Specialist Care Limited (collectively known as Cornerstone Healthcare) on the sale of their entire issued share capital to Ignite Growth for an undisclosed eight figure sum.
- Advised AIM listed client on the share acquisition of a Luxembourg tech company for up to €8.5m.
- Advised the management team and private investors on the sale of their shares.
- Advised Harwood Wealth on acquisition of AE Financial Limited for up to £6.2m.
Clarke Willmott LLP’s tax department has a wide range of expertise assisting clients in areas such as real estate and housing associations in addition to corporate tax and includes related litigation. In particular, the team focuses on property structuring for the property investment market, the creation of property funds, de-enveloping issues, offshore property trading, SDLT, ATED, NRCGT and capital gains tax. Other areas of strength include the implementation of share incentive schemes and the negotiation of settling historic tax liabilities. Niall Murphy heads the practice.
‘They have been very good , responsive and fair.‘
‘Responsive, knowledgeable and practical. They do not waste time with unnecessary complexity.‘
‘Commonsense is applied and they get to the point quickly with a deep knowledge of their subject areas.‘
‘Niall Murphy is the most practical and down-to-earth lawyer I have met.‘
Onecom Group Limited
Addnode Group AB
Aquis Exchange Plc
Oerlikon Drive Systems GbmH, Pfaffikon (now changed name to Graziano Fairfield AG)
Eduko Education Limited
Total Solutions (Southern) Limited t/a Total Rail Solutions
Eton Fire Limited
Marindus Group Limited
Import Services Limited
Burgon & Ball Limited
- Acted for longstanding client Addnode (a Swedish listed IT group and Europe’s leading provider of software and services for design and engineering) on the strategic acquisition of Cadassist Limited and D2M3 Ltd.
- Advised Addnode on the acquisition of Strategic Simulation & Analysis Limited (SSA) and Simuleon BV.
- Advised Aquis Exchange Plc on the creation of an EMI share option scheme and unapproved share option scheme in preparation for its listing on AIM.
- Acted for the sellers on the sale of shares of IT Group UK Limited to Blackrock Expert Services.
- Advised the sellers on the sale of Total Rail Solutions, a private equity based management buyout.
Field Seymour Parkes LLP’s tax team specialises in restructuring and exit planning, while also providing support to the corporate and property teams. The practice has a strong reputation for being able to advise on highly technical issues and provides expert reports on trusts, stamp duties and international matters, with a rapidly growing international client portfolio. Dr Philippa Roles heads the practice.
Dr Philippa Roles
‘they always go the extra mile and are always on hand. Very knowledgeable and capable.‘
‘Field Seymour Parkes have provided exceptional Enterprise Investment Scheme consultancy alongside their assistance in setting up our company. Furthermore, our needs have been quite wide ranging and FSP have guided us through applying for a business loan, drafting our Articles of Association, negotiating and drafting a shareholders agreement to drafting data privacy and fair usage policies and consumer offer terms. Mention must also go to the welcoming and hospitable reception team.‘
‘A practice offering a wide range of disciplines and very professional, still with a personal touch.‘
‘Our principal contact Phillipa Roles, in addition to providing unparalleled understanding of EIS, has always offered great availability, flexibility to urgent requests and a wealth of useful contacts that has helped us sourcing technology, banking and accountancy services. Her ability to anticipate our needs and provide value added assistance is outstanding.‘
‘Dr. Philippa Roles is very capable with an impressive ability to solve problems and she’s really good to work with.‘
Dolphin Head Group Ltd
Rent ID Ltd
Landlord Personal Agents Ltd
Stampede Global Europe Ltd
Lunzer Wine Events
Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership
- Provides tax advice and assistance to e-Cargobikes.Com across all areas of the business including fundraising.
- Advising the UK holding company of the EU group Stampede Global Europe on restructuring matters.
- Providing tax technical and governance support to Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership on an ad hoc basis.
- Advising the UK holding company of the EU group Dolphin Head on restructuring matters.
- Advising on and assisting Rippll with a capital reduction demerger and obtaining HMRC clearance.
Shoosmiths LLP’s tax practice advises both investors and investee companies on enterprise investment scheme and venture capital trust-compliant investments. The department has in-depth experience in all types of corporate tax issues and share scheme arrangements and has a thriving and dedicated real estate tax practice. The client base includes large multi-national corporates, serial investors, commercial property investors, high-growth companies and owner-managed businesses. Tom Wilde heads the practice. Daniel Kennedy is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very strong knowledge of venture capital trust regulations. Flexible to work with, accommodating changes in scope and process. Very responsive with quick turnaround times to hit deadlines.‘
‘Tom Wilde is a true expert in the field and has the unique quality (among tax lawyers) of being both approachable and commercial.‘
‘Tom is a true expert and we rely upon him heavily for our qualification advice. There is no other tax lawyer we trust more for this type of advice.‘
‘Tom Wilde’s high-level of subject matter expertise is a great asset to us.‘
IM Properties plc
NVM Private Equity LLP
- Acted for Allied London on its sale of 7 development sites for over £300m.
- Acted for IM Properties on its £98m property sale of a well-known Birmingham office building, advising on the tax implications.
- Provided VCT and EIS advice to Octopus Investments on the sale of their stake in Tails.com Limited to Nestle Purina.
- Acted for Beringea LLP on the investment by the venture capital trusts they manage into Festicket Ltd.
- Advised Jacobs Engineering on the tax implications of consolidating its office space in London into a single location.
The corporate tax team at Stevens & Bolton LLP is best known for advising entrepreneurial clients, owner managers and SMEs on exit tax planning and M&A transactions involving complex equity incentive structures. The practice is growing its expertise across the full range of equity incentive schemes, including EMI schemes and unapproved option schemes, as well as employment-related incentive structuring for private equity transactions. Kate Schmit heads the practice. Jamie Crawford was made partner in May 2018.
Other key lawyers:
‘Outstanding service – prompt and clear communication, absolute transparency on transaction and time spent, delightful people to deal with‘.
CANCOM UK Limited/CANCOM SE
Brockton Capital LLP
Ylem Group Limited (formerly ENER-G plc)
Pebble Beach Systems plc
- Acted for specialist insurance broker and longstanding client Stackhouse Poland on their sale to Gallagher and three corporate transactions in 2018.
- Advised CANCOM SE, one of the leading providers of IT infrastructure and services in Germany and Austria, on the acquisition of 82.1% of UK- based Ocean Intelligent Communications Limited and the acquisition of UK based IT solutions provider OCSL.
- Advised the shareholders of longstanding client and care home software provider iCareHealth on its sale to the Access Group.
- Advised the partners of Brockton Capital LLP in connection with equity incentive arrangements put in place at the time of the creation of a new property investment vehicle with Tel Aviv-listed AlonyHetz Property and Investments
- Advised the nursery group ICP Nurseries on numerous acquisitions.