Corporate tax in South East
Clarke Willmott LLP provides a multidisciplinary offering to clients, with particular strength in the real estate sector. Practice head Niall Murphy has over three decades of business tax expertise, covering international tax planning and tax litigation issues. The team has a track record of work on share incentive schemes and company share option plans, while also handling advisory work on acquisitions. Kelvin Balmont, who heads the Southampton office, and Richard Swain are also noted practitioners within the corporate group.
‘I have found Niall Murphy both practical and responsive.’
‘Niall Murphy blends a good knowledge of tax law with a practical approach to business needs.’
Shareholders of Kangaloosh Limited
Waterhouse Land Limited
Shareholders of Envair Limited and Envair (Holdings) Limited
Shareholder of Chapman IP Limited and Advantip Limited
Shareholders of Nationwide Services Group Limited Y
Prysm Media Group
Jacksons Stops & Staff
Sustainable Drainage Systems, Dean Taylor and Graham Joyce
Shareholders of Kangaloosh Limited
- Advised the sellers on the sale of Kangaloosh Limited (t/a rFpro) to AB Dynamics Plc.
- Acted for Waterhouse Land Limited in its purchase of a Luxembourg based group of companies.
- Advised the shareholders of Nationwide Services Group Limited on the sale of a national waste management business to Reconomy UK.
At Cripps Pemberton Greenish, the corporate tax team is adept at handling a wide range of transactional and advisory work for clients. Overseen by Elizabeth Middleton, the practice handles a steady stream of tax transactional work and M&A mandates for a wide roster of clients, with real estate tax matters handled by consultant Paul Clark.
Other key lawyers:
Kerman & Co
Ocean Infinity Limited
Little Garden Day Nurseries Limited
Conduit Capital Limited
Bevan House Management Company Limited
Adept Technology Group
- Advising Conduit Capital Limited on a fund structure for managers and potential investors in a new impact investment fund.
- Advising on the tax aspects of the sale by a business owner of 100% shares in the holding company to an Employee Ownership Trust (EOT).
- Advised city law firm Kerman & Co on the tax aspects of its conversion from an LLP to a limited company.
Field Seymour Parkes LLP's tax practice has a focus on restructuring and exit planning matters. The team is now jointly led by Rob Crowther and Sue Vandersteen and handles tax planning advice and capital reduction demergers for a host of corporate clients. It also offers transactional advice for an international client portfolio.
Shoosmiths LLP's tax practice is singled out for its specialism in advising both investors and investee companies on enterprise investment schemes and its strong real estate offering. Led by Tom Wilde in Reading, the group handles the full gamut of corporate tax advice, with a particular focus on structuring, M&A and private equity. Daniel Kennedy is the key name for real estate related tax matters including advising institutional investors and transactions. The team works with a raft of multinational corporations, large investors and foreign companies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Shoosmiths understand the sector inside out. We have total confidence in their advice.’
‘Tom Wilde is exceptional. He is the very rare breed of a tax lawyer that both knows his stuff, but can also explain the legal position clearly and offer practical advice.‘
‘Chris Moakes inspires confidence.’
The shareholders of Innervision Management Limited
The shareholders of Phabrix Limited
Maven Capital Partners LLP
Triple Point Investment Management LLP
- Acted for for Beringea LLP on their VCT investment into Fnatic, the global e-sports brand, as part of a $19m fundraising round.
- Advised the North Harbour Unit Trust on the tax implications of its high-value disposal of a long term investment to Portsmouth City Council.
- Acted for the shareholders of Phabrix Limited on the sale of the company to Leader Europe Limited. The tax aspects of the transaction included a detailed review of the company’s EMI share options scheme.
Stevens & Bolton LLP's practice mainly services small and medium-sized enterprises and entrepreneurial clients. Practice head Kate Schmit is skilled in employee share schemes and employment-related taxation. The team handles exit tax planning, M&A transactions involving complex equity as well as standalone tax advisory work for clients - Jamie Crawford is the recommended contact for this. The practice was recently bolstered by the arrival of associate Melanie Shone from Ropes & Gray LLP; she brings with her expertise in the tax aspects of domestic and cross-border transactions.
‘Jamie Crawford is an experienced solicitor whom provides great advice and strategy to the benefit of his clients. Always available and quick to act on any new matter or query.’
‘Kate Schmit is practical, responsive, commercial and willing to speak in plain English when dealing with technical matters.’
‘Our experience has been uniformly good – commercially aware and responsive advice provided in challenging matters where time pressures and US timezones were a particular challenge.’
CANCOM UK Limited/CANCOM SE
Brockton Capital LLP
Ylem Group Limited (formerly ENER-G plc)
Pebble Beach Systems plc
Striesen Holdings Pty Ltd
Beyond Corporate Limited
- Advised specialist insurance broker, and longstanding client, Stackhouse Poland Group Limited on its sale to US-headquartered global insurance brokerage and risk management firm, Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Advised CANCOM SE, one of the leading providers of IT infrastructure and services in Germany and Austria, on its acquisition of Belfast based managed services provider Novosco Group Limited.
- Advised and created exit tax planning to the exiting shareholders of BBS Consultants & Actuaries Limited.