Projects and energy: local firms in Singapore
Allen & Gledhill LLP has an impressive mix of high-end project development and project finance, including numerous engagements in Singapore, Myanmar and Indonesia. The firm's project development expertise is virtually unparalleled amongst Singapore law firms, with it obtaining sought after roles on township, transport infrastructure and energy dprojects around the region. Kelvin Wong leads the project development team, with Kok Chee Wai heading the project finance group.
Kelvin Wong; Kok Chee Wai
- Advised The New Yangon Development Co as transaction counsel on the $1.5bn phase 1 development of the New Yangon City in the western Yangon region of Myanmar.
- Advised Sunseap Leasing on its 20-year agreement with Microsoft to sell to Microsoft 100% of the renewable energy generated from its 60MW peak solar power project.
- Advised Sembcorp Industries on the sale of the utilities assets and entry into long-term supply contracts for the supply utilities and natural gas to ExxonMobil.
Dentons Rodyk has an impressive mix of Singapore and international expertise that is frequently applied to local and regional projects and energy transactions. The firm consistently impresses in oil and gas, conventional power and renewables. Tan Joo Thye and Jonathan Guwe are key partners.
Tan Joo Thye
PT Pertamina (Persero)
China Huadian Engineering
Chifeng Jilong Gold Mining
- Advised Pertamina on its first joint venture agreement with Rosneft, to jointly develop the new Tuban refining and petrochemical complex in East Java.
- Advised China Huadian Engineering on its $2.3bn acquisition of a majority interest in a Vietnam project company to develop a 2X660MW coal-fired power facility in Vietnam.
- Advised a consortium of Indonesian and Chinese entities on the development of the 510MW Batang Toru hydropower plant to be located at Sipirok, North Sumatra, Indonesia.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP mixes both contentious and non-contentious expertise in the projects and energy sphere, and combines this with an impressive geographic reach beyond Singapore. The team covers a range of energy, infrastructure and real estate projects and is also noted for its project financing expertise. Shemane Chan, Soh Lip San and Larry Lim are key members of the team.
Andre Yeap SC; Soh Lip San
‘The team worked very well with our technical and commercial team to understand our plant operations, technical limitations and took great effort to understand our risk profile.’
‘The team demonstrates a high level of commercial acumen and on many occasions, is able to offer solutions or counter proposals to address specific issues.’
‘Shemane Chan is quick to pick up on commercial structures and business models and is sharp enough to point out potential conflicts and consequences.’
Malaysia Airport Holdings
- Advised Facebook on its S$1.4bn investment to construct its first Asian data centre in Singapore.
- Advised on Neste Singapore’s €1.4bn investment to increase its biofuel production capacity in Singapore.
- Advised One Bangkok, the developer, on the $3.5bn One Bangkok project, the largest private sector property development initiative undertaken in Thailand.
WongPartnership LLP has genuine local and regional credibility, providing its recognised expertise in utilities, oil and gas, conventional power and renewables. It has a fine record in both contentious and non-contentious matters. Tay Peng Cheng and Ian de Vaz have outstanding utilities and wider project development experience. Lesley Tan is also rated.
Tay Peng Cheng; Ian de Vaz
‘We chose to work with WongPartnership because of its in-depth knowledge, expertise and experience in handling construction matters.’
‘Lesley Tan is a very capable and experienced construction lawyer who not only handles contentious construction matters but also brings to bear her experience with front end construction drafting. She picks up very quickly on issues and provides valuable practical and strategic advice.’
- Advised Sentosa Development on the major redevelopment of the Resorts World at Sentosa Integrated Resort in Singapore.
- Advised Sembcorp Solar Singapore on sale and purchase agreements linked to a 40MW grid-tied rooftop solar power project in Singapore.
- Advised RB Capital Farrer Commercial and RB Capital Farrer Hotel on the construction of a mixed development consisting of a hotel, medical facility and shopping podium near Farrer Park MRT Station.
Drew & Napier LLC has an impressive mix of non-contentious and contentious work with a strong focus on national oil companies (NOCs) along with Japanese and Korean contractors. The firm is active in telecoms infrastructure matters in Myanmar and Malaysia, and is making an impact in petrochemical and conventional power plant projects across the region. Jimmy Yim SC leads the practice, which includes top disputes lawyer Mahesh Rai and newly recruited director Ong Sim Ho, who is a regular tax adviser to NOCs. Julian Kwek is noted for energy transactions.
Jimmy Yim SC
The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation
SK Engineering & Construction
- Advising Reignwood International Investment (Group) on the rationalisation of its investment into the Opus Group.
- Acting for Hyundai Engineering & Steel Industries in resisting an application by Two Ways Constructions to set aside parts of an arbitration award relating to issues of delay and extension of time.
- Advising Roland Ng and his investment vehicle TH60 on the pre-conditional voluntary general offer for Singapore-listed Tat Hong, the largest crane-owning company in the Asia-Pacific region.
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP is noted for power purchase agreements (PPAs), pathfinder projects, public procurement and regulatory matters. The firm has demonstrated particular expertise in new technologies including rooftop and floating solar projects, and hydrogen and fuel cell projects. Joint managing partner of the Singapore office Sandra Seah is an experienced figure in public procurement and regulatory matters. Ken Cheung impresses in the clean energy and renewables field, covering Singapore and the wider South East Asia region, along with projects in Australia.
Sandra Seah; Ken Cheung
‘Bird & Bird combines deep sector and technical knowledge with an ability to write comprehensive contracts in simple language. Its experience and track record allows it to guide us and our client to mutually agreeable terms.’
‘Sandra Seah is an outstanding lawyer in the sustainability/renewable space and has helped shape the Energy Performance Contracting framework in Singapore. She makes efforts to be available and is willing to give timely advice on small but important matters.’
Energy Market Authority of Singapore
Juwi Renewable Energies
Renewable Energy Investments
- Advised Juwi Renewable Energies on options to lease and project development agreements for two solar farm projects in Queensland Australia.
- Advised Sunseap on new solar rooftop leases and new solar power purchase agreements.
- Advised the Building and Construction Authority and Singapore Green Building Council on the development of the first Energy Performance Contract for Buildings.
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP is rated for Southeast Asia projects, most notably Myanmar engagements. Much of the practice centres on oil and gas, LNG, and power projects with special counsel Priyank Srivastava splitting his time between Singapore and Yangon, Myanmar.
Leon Yee; Krishna Ramachandra
Other key lawyers:
AG Resources Myanmar Co. Ltd
Icerberg Holdings Pte Ltd
Ponna International Pte Ltd
Young Investment Group
OIL India Limited
Ayeyar Hinthar Holdings
ONGC Videsh Limited
Sembcorp Utilities Pte Ltd
- Advising OIL India Limited on its regulatory and contractual matters in connection with its oil & gas block in Myanmar.
- Advising SDCI (Myanmar) Co., Ltd, one of the largest Singapore Design and Construction companies in the energy sector, on its regulatory and compliance matters for its Myanmar subsidiary.
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited, an Indian multinational oil and gas company, on all aspects of regulatory and compliance matters.
- Advising Ponna International Pte. Limited, a Singaporean entity, with its envisaged $1m investment in a sand concession project
- Advising Sembcorp Utilities Pte. Ltd. on its $250m financing of its gas fired power plant project.
Eversheds Harry Elias
Eversheds Harry Elias remains best known for infrastructure project development and PPP projects. It works with a range of clients including developers, sponsors, government-linked entities and government agencies. Chau Yee Tan heads the construction and engineering team, while Justin Chia co-heads the infrastructure projects practice.
Chau Yee Tan; Justin Chia
Surbana Jurong Consultants
Singapore Land Transport Authority
- Acted as claims specialist to Surbana Jurong Consultants in connection with the Tuas Terminal Port Project 1.
- Advised Ministry of Health Holdings on the contracts used for engaging architects and consultants for the upcoming senior care centres to be built in Singapore.
- Advised ACG on its joint venture with Qia Feng Vietnam to develop ACG City in Hai Phong City, Vietnam