Allen & Gledhill LLP advises on projects and energy matters including the financing and development of projects, as well as transactions involving these assets. The team advises on projects throughout SE Asia, working in conjunction with the firm's other offices, and is particularly active in Myanmar. The team is led by Kelvin Wong, who also co-heads the Corporate and Commercial practice, and Chee Wai Kok, who co-heads the Financial Services department. Wong specialises in the development and operating of energy projects, while Chee Wai handles financing. Wee Meng Tan focuses on telecommunications projects, and also handles energy-related work.
Projects and energy: local firms in Singapore
Other key lawyers:
‘Good quality legal work in a cost-effective manner.’
‘Tan Wee Meng is able to give practical solutions to address business needs – he is responsive when asked for assistance.’
- Advising NYDC, a company established by the Yangon Regional Government, as transaction counsel, on the US$1.5 billion phase 1 development of the New Yangon City in the western Yangon region of Myanmar.
- Advised Senoko on the S$2.11 billion syndicated loan facilities to refinance its indebtedness under its existing loan facilities.
- Advising CECA Gold on the development of a liquefied petroleum gas receiving, tanking, storage and bottling facility in Kyauk Tan Township Thilawa, Myanmar.
Dentons Rodyk handles a range of cross-border projects and energy matters, including the financing and development of projects. The firm is particularly active in advising Chinese state-owned enterprises on energy projects in Belt and Road Initiative countries such as Indonesia and Singapore. The practice is led by Joo Thye Tan, who has extensive experience in advising on energy projects. Jonathan Guwe and Wanqing Loke are also key partners in this area; both are Mandarin speakers and often work with Chinese SEOs.
PT Dharma Hydro Nusantara
China Huadian Engineering Co., Ltd
Chew’s Agriculture Pte Ltd
Sinenergy Holdings Pte Ltd
InfraCo Asia Development
Fujian Yongfu Power Engineering Co, Ltd.
- As lead counsel, advising a consortium of Indonesian and Chinese entities on the development of the 510MW Batang Toru hydropower plant to be located at Sipirok, South Tapanuli Regency, North Sumatera, Indonesia, comprising of four 127.5MW generating units.
- Advising as lead counsel (English and Singapore law) for China Huadian Engineering Co., Ltd (a Chinese State-Owned Entity) in its US$2.3bn acquisition of a majority interest in a Vietnam Project Company to develop a 2 X 660MW Coal Fired power facility in Vietnam.
- Advised a renowned Singapore farm operator in relation to the build, own, and operate (BOO) of a waste-to-energy facility by a service provider listed on SGX in the farm premises to convert organic chicken manure into energy.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP is known for the broad reach of its projects and energy practice, as it advises on projects in Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, and Myanmar. In addition to handling energy projects, the team also advises on real estate, waste management, data centres, and transportation projects. As well as advising on financing and development, the team also advises master developers on procurement. Practice head Soh Lip San has experience in both contentious and non-contentious projects and energy work, while Shemane Chan is noted for her work on procurement. Larry Lim is known for his experience in energy markets.
Neste Singapore Pte Ltd
One Bangkok Co Ltd
Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad
Linde Gas Singapore Pte Ltd
Singapore Institute of Technology
- Advising the master developer of “One Bangkok” in respect of the development of waste water treatment plant, district cooling plant, electricity distribution facility and ICT infrastructure and services on a design, build, own, operate, finance and transfer basis to supply the utilities to the One Bangkok development.
- Advised Linde Gas Singapore (“Linde”) on its US$1.4 billion (S$1.9 billion) investment to expand its existing gasification complex at Jurong Island, which will quadruple Linde’s present production capacity in Singapore.
- Advised Neste Singapore (“Neste”) on its €1.4 billion (S$2.2 billion) investment to increase its biofuel production capacity in Singapore by up to 1.3 million tonnes per annum. The expansion will enable Neste to meet a growing global market demand for low-carbon solutions in transport and cities, aviation, polymers and chemicals sectors.
WongPartnership LLP advises clients on projects in sectors including renewables, hospitality, commercial property, and data centres. The team handles aspects of projects including financing, development, and procurement, as well as representing clients in arbitration claims. The practice is led by Peng Cheng Tay, who has broad experience in this space, and construction specialist Ian de Vaz. Lesley Tan is also active in both contentious and non-contentious work.
Other key lawyers:
Keppel Corporation Ltd.
SembCorp Utilities Pte. Ltd.
Singapore Power Limited
Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
UOL Group Limited
OKP Holdings Limited
ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Santarli Construction Pte. Ltd.
Land Transport Authority
- Acting for Resorts World at Sentosa Pte Ltd in this project, which is the first major redevelopment of the Resorts World at Sentosa Integrated Resort since its inception in 2007, involving an investment sum of S$4.5bn by Resorts World at Sentosa Pte Ltd to refresh and reinvigorate the Integrated Resort.
- Acted for GrabTaxi Holdings Pte. Ltd. in connection with the development and lease of a purpose-built building (the “Building”) to be built at one-north business park, Singapore, specifically for use by Grab and its various related entities. This project is significant as the Building will be Grab’s first purpose-built facility serving as Grab’s headquarters and house all of Grab’s employees based in Singapore. The project required synchronization of the technical and legal aspects. The specifications of the Building needed to cater to Grab’s business and needs whilst at the same time comply with the requirements of the various statutory authorities.
- Advising ST Telemedia Global Data Centres on the construction of its largest data centre facility in Singapore, a state-of-the-art hyperscale data center with a gross floor area of over 290,000 square feet and IT load capacity of over 30MW.
Led by Jimmy Yim, SC, Drew & Napier LLC has a broad practice covering projects in areas including manufacturing, shipping, residential property, and energy. In addition to advising on non-contentious matters, the team also acts alongside the firm's dispute resolution team to represent clients in litigation and arbitration. Yim handles both contentious and non-contentious matters; elsewhere, Ong Sim Ho is known for his work in the oil and gas sectors, particularly working with national oil companies. Dispute resolution specialist Mahesh Rai is another key contact, and handles disputes related to projects for clients throughout South East Asia.
Creative Technology Limited
Apollo Towers Pte Ltd
DBS Bank Ltd
The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Essar Group including Essar Projects (India) Limitedand Essar Projects Singapore Pte Ltd
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited
United Overseas Bank Limited
K&L Gates LLP
SK Engineering & Construction Co. Ltd. including SK E&C (Singapore branch)
Stepan Company including Stepan Asia Pte Ltd
Sato Kogyo Pte Ltd
- Acted for UOB in the grant of a S$40m loan to Singapore Poultry Hub Pte Ltd to set up the first smart and green factory for the poultry industry in Singapore. The hub is a joint venture between five poultry producers and processors.
- Acting as co-counsel to a real estate investor and developer in a dispute with the Government of Maldives (“Maldives”). The matter involved a social housing scheme launched by the Maldives, under which it invited private sector partners to build social housing units in exchange for the opportunity to acquire leases of land on islands for free.
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP frequently advises Singaporean regulators and government bodies on energy projects, particularly related to renewable energy and decarbonisation. In addition to assisting with the drafting of regulations and contracts for projects, the team has also advised on the use of green loans to finance projects. The practice is led by Sandra Seah; Ken Cheung is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Approachable team who provide the latest and most practical insights/legal solutions on the renewable energy industry.’
‘Sandra Seah – Very approachable partner who has great compassion and emphathy for her clients.’
The Building and Construction Authority (BCA)
Macquarie Bank Limited
DNV GL Pte Ltd / Public Utilities Board Singapore (PUB)
Hydrogen & Fuel Cells Association of Singapore
LYS Energy Group
Mainstream Renewable Power Asia Holdings Pte Ltd
Juwi Renewable Energies Singapore Pte Ltd
Tigris Water Company Pte Ltd
Solar Horizon Pte Ltd
- Appointed as legal counsel to the Hydrogen & Fuel Cells Association of Singapore (HFCAS) to help Singapore in its decarbonisation efforts and move towards a greener environment.
- Advised LYS Energy Group (LYS) on its S$14 million green loan obtained from United Overseas Bank (UOB) under its Green Infrastructure Framework as part of the Bank’s U-Solar programme.
- Advising a Singapore statutory board and a global service provider to the maritime, oil & gas, power & renewables industries in relation to Singapore’s first floating solar project.
Duane Morris & Selvam LLP has a varied projects practice encompassing work in sectors including energy, hospitality, and industry. The team is particularly active in Myanmar, where it provides regulatory advice as well as advice on financing and development for a varied range of projects. The practice is led by managing director Leon Yee and Krishna Ramachandra. Ramachandra splits his time between Singapore and Yangon, and stands out for his experience of the Myanmar projects market. Priyank Srivastava is another key contact in the team, focusing on oil and gas, LNG, and power matters.
Other key lawyers:
Sembcorp Utilities Pte Ltd
ONGC Videsh Limited
Iceberg Holdings Pte Ltd
Ponna International Pte Ltd
AG Resources Myanmar Co. Ltd.
OIL India Limited
Ayeyar Hinthar Holdings
AG Resources Myanmar Co. Ltd.
Shwe Min Gan Finance Company Limited
Ashro Singapore Pte. Ltd.
State Bank of India
- Advising Sembcorp Utilities Pte. Ltd. on its US$250 million financing of its gas fired power plant project.
- Advising on a US$20m joint venture between Htoo Group and Banyan Tree Holdings.
Harry Elias Partnership
Harry Elias Partnership is active in a range of projects in Singapore, Malaysia, and Brunei, including marine infrastructure, healthcare facilities, and residential property. The team has a particular specialism in land reclamation work. In addition to providing non-contentious advice, the firm also represents clients in breach of contract disputes related to projects. The practice is led by Tan Chau Yee and Justin Chia, both of whom are experienced in contentious and non-contentious projects work.
DBS Trustee Ltd as Trustee of Soilbuild Business Space REIT
GlaxoSmithKline Pte Ltd
Standard Chartered Bank / Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore) Ltd
Surbana Jurong Consultants Private Limited
Wee Hur Group of Companies
SMRT Corporation Limited
Straco Leisure Pte Ltd (Singapore Flyer)
Meinhardt Singapore Pte Ltd
Rich-Link Construction Pte Ltd
Singapore Land Transport Authority
Maritime Port Authority of Singapore
Public Utilities Board
Singapore Land Authority
National Environment Agency
Ministry of Health
National Parks Board
Singapore Turf Club
AGC Holdings Ltd
BRC Asia Limited (including subsidiary Lee Wielded Mesh Singapore P/L)
Gathergates Group Pte Ltd
Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Co. Pte Ltd
- Appointed as the Claims Specialist to the Project Manager (Surbana Jurong Consultants), Superintending Officer and Employer (Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore) for the Tuas Terminal Port Project 1 (part of the upcoming Tuas Mega Port project).As the Claims Specialist, we advise the Project Manager, Superintending Officer and Employer on the administration of the contract (PSSCOC) as well as claims submitted by the Contractor.
- Advising MOH on an ongoing basis and have been advising MOH in reviewing and amending the standard term contracts (the PSSCOC) to be used when engaging the contractors, architects and consultants in relation to upcoming Senior Care Centres to be built in Singapore.
- Represented Rich-Link Construction Pte Ltd in the Singapore High Court Suit HC/S 1274/2015 by CKR Contract Services Pte Ltd (“CKR”) against Asplenium Land Pte Ltd (“Asplenium”) and 8 Others (including Rich-Link Construction Pte Ltd as 6th Defendant). CKR (main contractor) was terminated by Asplenium (developer) for alleged non-performance and various breaches of contract. CKR then sued the developer, replacement main contractor (our client), architects and various others, for alleged non-performance and breaches of contract, and wrongful conspiracy to injure CKR.