Firms in the Spotlight Real estate and construction
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys)
At BOANTA, GIDEI & ASOCIATII SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys) we cover every aspect of the real estate market and cooperate with commonly known respected construction companies, real estate funds, management companies, architecture offices, at local and regional level.View Profile...
Real estate and construction in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a multi-faceted practice covering a wide range of areas for a diverse client base. The firm acts for landowners, investors, funds, retail and restaurant chains, and agricultural, manufacturing and energy companies. The team's expertise includes transactions, leases, construction, financing, and related litigation, regulatory and environmental issues. The team has a deep bench of talent, including partners Razvan Gheorghiu-Testa, Dan Borbely, Oana Ureche and Dragos Apostol. Managing associate Amalia Dumitru is also active in this area.
Razvan Gheorghiu-Testa; Dan Borbely
‘Their vast expertise in the area and their client need driven organizational structure is really outstanding. Prompt and with a keen focus on finalizing deals and transactions.’
‘Razvan Gheorghiu-Testa really understands the client’s needs and meets that with dedication, expertise and is always finding the right solutions to business challenges from a legal perspective.’
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investment Management
Value Investor Expert
Michael Kors US
Thames Farming Fund
Astra Rail Management
Pipera Development Investment Group
Coca-Cola HBC Romania
South Development Group
Cinema City Romania
Deutsche Schule Bukarest
- Advised real estate company, Value Investor Expert, on the €30m+ acquisition of four plots of land in Bucharest for residential developments.
- Assisting Premier Restaurants Romania (McDonald’s) with its expansion plans, including land acquisitions for the construction of new restaurants, as well as all issues linked to the construction and refurbishment of new outlets.
- Advising Thames Farming Enterprise on its Romanian farming business, which comprises four entities operating across 14,000ha of arable land, on new land acquisition projects, among other work.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen's strong team is led by Ioana Niculeasa. The group has been involved in several benchmark deals over the past year, including major site acquisitions, sales and developments in the office, residential, retail, hospitality, industrial and logistics sectors. Investors, developers and construction companies regularly instruct the firm in contentious issues, where litigator Vlad Tanase is a key name. Other key lawyers include Lavinia Ioniță-Rasmussen and managing associate Ioana Grigoriu.
‘The level of professionalism and dedication is the highest I have encountered on the Romanian real estate market.’
‘The firm has sufficient depth to handle any legal issue, an experienced and stable line up of partners, and a long and distinguished history in the market.’
‘Vlad Tanase was an excellent advisor and litigator during our court cases.’
‘Lavinia Ioniță-Rasmussen is most probably the ideal partner to have on the job. With an extensive real estate background and experience in the Romanian market, she manages to deliver high quality work, clever solutions and clear legal structures.’
‘Ioana Grigoriu is the lawyer of choice for handling complex assignments that require strong organising skills besides the technical know-how.’
Globalworth Real Estate Investments Limited
Strabag Real Estate
Impact Developer & Contractor
Ana Tower Offices
- Advising Globalworth Real Estate Investments on its acquisition of 136,000sqm of land and drafting the subsequent joint venture and development management agreement.
- Assisting CTP with its multimillion-euro acquisition of a major industrial and logistics park near Bucharest.
- Acting for AFI on the €23m acquisition of a 4.5ha plot of land in Bucharest which will be the site for a major retail and office development.
Following the split of PeliFilip, the bulk of the market-leading real estate team went to Peli Partners, including 'excellent' practice head Oana Bădărău, and 'outstanding' managing partner Francisc Peli. The two-partner team has huge experience of residential, office and retail development projects, as well as sales, acquisitions, and leasings. Clients include major investors, developers, contractors and banks. Senior associate Mădălina Fildan is also noted.
‘The firm has a customer-oriented team that delivers tailor-made solutions for any situation with the appetite to engage in new and innovative transactions.’
‘The team is always up to date with legal and market developments, which is important in a dynamic business as strong negotiation arguments need to be backed by a real understanding of the issues.’
‘Oana Badarau is remarkable in simplifying complex aspects and proposing intelligent approaches.’
‘Francisc Peli is noted for his excellent analysis, strategic thinking and anticipatory advice.’
‘Mădălina Fildan handles matters very smoothly, produces high-quality deliverables and is characterized by her professionalism and a pro-active attitude.’
Globe Trade Centre
Argo Real Estate
Raiffeisen Property International
GLL Real Estate Partners
- Assisting Skanska with the development and leasing of its large-scale office complexes, the Equilibrium and Campus6 projects. 25,000sq of the former was leased to Microsoft.
- Advising Portland Trust on the development and leasing of Oregon Park and Expo Business Park, and the subsequent €170m sale of Oregon Park to Lion’s Head Investments.
- Acting for Ovidiu Sandor on the €125m sale of The Office project in Cluj to Dedeman.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii is a premier choice for major real estate projects, disputes and transactions. The team has an excellent track record advising developers on major mixed-use projects throughout the country, while on the transactional front the group has recently handled several major office acquisitions. Clients include land owners, developers, investment funds, strategic investors and lenders. Florian Niţu and Valentin Creața lead the team, which also includes Ioana Șampek, Bogdan Stoica and Cristian Popescu.
Florian Nițu; Valentin Creata
‘They are very involved and committed and have good character and attitude.’
‘Bogdan Stoica worked around the clock.’
Auchan Group (Auchan Romania, Immochan, Leroy Merlin)
P3 Logistic Parks
UNIQA REAL ESTATE
- Advising Romanian company Dedeman, on its €120m acquisition of The Office, a 60,000sqm project in Cluj-Napoca.
- Assisting River Development with the €95m development of two mixed-use real estate projects, Sema Parc and The Light, both of which are on former industrial sites.
- Acting for Crisrock on the €15m development of the Advancity Business Center and the Vivido Business Center in Cluj-Napoca.
Reff & Associates SCA has established an excellent market reputation for high-end contentious and non-contentious real estate and construction advice. The firm's lawyers regularly act on some of Romania's largest real estate transactions and development projects, often involving complex corporate structures and cross-border finance. Clients include major developers, investors, retailers and lessors. Irina Dimitriu leads the team, which also includes highly rated founding partner Alexandru Reff.
‘The most important aspect in the relationship with a law firm is to feel they are truly your partners and always have your best interest at heart, not just to show potential risks and guide you in ways they can be overcome. The Reff team worked seamlessly across departments and subjects and went the extra mile. They made us feel they were really fighting for us, like a member of our own team, always next to us and making a significant contribution to the end result.’
‘Irina Dimitriu supported us with a pragmatic approach, always reflecting a good understanding of our commercial needs. Their legal assistance provided so far was exemplary and, in a short time, they gained our trust and also our intention for future collaboration.’
MAS Real Estate
Mulberry Development (Ovidiu Sandor)
Chimcomplex SA Borzesti
UE Chairs Romania
- Acting for MAS CEE Investments on the €133m acquisition of nine retail parks from Prime Kapital, which involved a company level share deal and cross-border financing.
- Assisting Nepi Rockcastle and Ovidiu Sandor with the €125m sale of their joint venture development, The Office project, in Cluj-Napoca to Dedeman Group.
- Acted for Ikea on the development of its second store in Bucharest, and one of the largest in CEE.
Albota Law Firm is a highly rated real estate law boutique with a strong track record handling complex, high-value acquisitions and disposals, and development projects. Transactions often have a cross-border and corporate element. Clients include major developers and investors. Name partner Oana Albotă is 'very involved in all aspects of the transaction, with extensive practical experience.'
‘The firm has an excellent understanding of real estate and construction and particularly with the application of the FIDIC contract.’
‘The team has a great capability of working together with the client, in depth knowledge of sensitive interpretations of law and contract and extensive knowledge of case studies.’
‘One of the impressive strengths is the willingness and success of understanding technical aspects which are normally outside lawyers’ understanding.’
‘Oana Albotă is very involved in all aspects of transaction, with extensive practical experience.’
Nor Residential Solutions
Green Gate Development
White Star Real Estate
Ergoz Romania Real Estate
- Advising Atenor Group on the €13.5m aqcuisition of a plot of land in Bucharest.
- Assisting White Star Real Estate with a €37m acquisition of Liberty Technology Park in Cluj-Napoca, which includes over 17,000sqm of office space and over 29,000sqm of development land.
- Advising London Partners on its €18m acquisition of a 20,000sqm plot of land in Bucharest from Belvedere Development, which has permits for the construction of 900 residential apartments.
Biris Goran SPARL provides a comprehensive service, and is a popular choice for international and domestic investors and developers. Recently, the firm has advised on several significant developments in the manufacturing and industrial space, both for funds and corporates. Daniela Lazea leads the team. Sorin Aungurenci is noted for his strong expertise in zoning and related regulatory issues. Raluca Năstase left the firm in 2020.
‘Great team with well prepared people. One of the best teams that I worked with.’
‘Young, reliable, fast to answer, and well prepared.’
One United Properties
Hagag Europe Development
Atrium European Real Estate
- Advising One United Properties on the €18m acquisition of a 25,800sqm plot in Bucharest from Telekom.
- Assisting Hagag Development Europe, a leading Israeli real estate developer, with Romanian issues linked to a bond issue on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
- Acting for Rossmann Groupe on its acquisition of a 9.5ha plot of land and its subsequent development of a cardboard factory.
CMS' clients benefit from the firm's excellent regional reach, as well as the network's broader standing in the commercial real estate market, stretching back to London. The Bucharest team is regularly involved in strategically important deals, developments and financings in key sectors such as ports, logistics, retail, hotels and leisure, and commercial offices. Practice head Roxana Fratila is the name to note.
‘Client oriented approach, strong professionals with extensive professional background and know-how/expertise, very good communication within CMS that facilitates for the clients the process of addressing various cases that need legal support and find appropriate solutions.’
‘Roxana Fratila is a strong, trustworthy and reliable professional, very efficient in assessing and mitigating the legal risks within a real estate transaction.’
Allianz Real Estate
Genagricola Foreste (Generali Group)
AGI Zeus (real estate company ultimately controlled by Alpha Bank Group)
- Assisting Iulius Group with securing land for a mixed-use development in north Bucharest through a partnership with the Romanian Chamber of Commerce and Romexpo.
- Advised a joint venture between Allianz Real Estate and VGP on the acquisition of €160m worth of logistics parks in Austria, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Romania.
- Acting for port operator DP World on establishing a memorandum of understanding with the Romanian Government for the development of certain areas of Constanta port.
Dentons' team acts for lenders, developers and major tenants on a wide range of issues, including leases, developments and acquisitions. Practice head Bogdan Papandopol handles contentious and non-contentious matters, while managing partner Perry Zizzi is highly experienced in real estate investment, financing and cross-border transactions with a corporate structure.
‘The team is formed of young professionals, always up to date with the latest legal regulations and news, very knowledgeable, efficient and prompt in answering any request.’
‘Bogdan Papandopol has a really extensive experience in real estate legal matters, which is enhanced by his experience as a litigator. He can easily and rapidly handle complex matters, with a high volume of data and implications, having a deep understanding of the business objectives.’
Banca Comercială Română (BCR)
P3 Logistic Parks
GLL Real Estate Partners
Metro Cash & Carry
CEE Equity Partners
Althafen Real Estate GmbH
- Advising German wholesaler, Metro Cash & Carry, on the relocation of all its logistics operations under one roof.
- Acting for Banca Comercială Română on the financing for the development of the Expo Business Park in Bucharest, which is being jointly developed by Portland Trust and Bluehouse Capital Partners.
- Assisting P3 Logistic Parks with the development of new warehouses in an existing industrial park, as well as the acquisition of a new site for a logistics park in Simeria.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA is a popular choice for high-end developers and investors active in Romania's commercial real estate market. The firm regularly advises on major acquisitions, developments, financings, and also corporate structures and joint ventures used to enable deals and projects. The team also has a strong track record on the litigation side, as well as related regulatory environmental and planning issues. Alin Buftea is backed by a team of highly experienced individuals, including up-and-coming partner Florin Tineghe.
‘The approach is what makes this firm stand out. You have the feeling that they are working only for you, like an in-house lawyer. They will be there for you, if needed, on weekends, late evenings and even white-nights.’
‘Alin Buftea is a great and unconventional thinker when it came to deal with specific litigation-related issues in Romania.’
‘Marian Dinu is the most trustworthy and reliable partner I met, fully dedicated to your project.’
‘Florin Tineghe is probably the most experienced and reliable lawyer in real estate, gives me confidence that everything is alright when I put the money down in a real estate transaction.’
PPF Real Estate
Prime Kapital Development
Opus Land Development
SDL Language Weaver
Landmark Smart Rentals
Grawe Romania Asigurare
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)
- Advising PPF Real Estate on the €50m acquisition of the Crystal Tower office building in Bucharest.
- Advising Rimo Holding on the acquisition of 2,200ha of agricultural land in south-east Romania.
- Acting for Atrium Properties on several issues linked to the joint venture it has established for developing residential real estate projects.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania is instructed by clients from all corners of the market, including major occupiers such as Microsoft, logistics companies, investors, and retail, residential and commercial office space developers. Cristian Guia is backed by a strong team of partners and associates who also have plenty of experience in real estate financings and related disputes.
‘Eversheds has always had a great team of lawyers. They are very knowledgeable, pro-active and business orientated, meaning they approach a transaction with the closing in mind and find great solutions when in a deadlock. Compared to other firms we have worked with, they deliver great value for money.’
‘The team acts as one unit delivering seamless service. The associates under the leadership of Cristian Guia are familiar with the real estate matters at hand and they cover together all problems that may arise during a particular project. Their insight into the real estate market, strategic advice and attention to detail set them apart from any other law firm.’
‘Cristian Guia is by far the most knowledgeable practitioner we have been working with. His attention to detail, responsiveness and strategic advice coupled with his personal touch on every deal we entrusted him with made any received input invaluable for us. He has a team of young and enthusiast lawyers which are eager to respond to any of our needs (Mihaela Spiridon in particular).’
GLL Real Estate Partners
Marks & Spencer Romania / Marks & Spencer Plc
Agrofert / Fert Tradero
Saule IT Services
ALUMINIOS CORTIZO ROMANIA
- Advising Microsoft on the substantial leasing negotiations for its 22,905sqm Campus 6 office headquarters, as well as 4,000sqm of office space in the Nusco Tower and a relocation in Timisoara.
- Acting for WeWork on its FIDIC-regulated agreement so that the template can be used for various locations in Romania.
- Acting for Primavera Development on the €70m development of 43,000sqm commercial centre in Sibiu, as well as its €21m takeover of another Sibiu development project from Nepi Rockcastle.
Kinstellar's strong team is led by Victor Constantinescu, which has been very active on the transactional front in the past year. This has included advice to buyers and sellers on several milestone deals, including a number in the industrial and logistics sectors. The firm also acts for major retail, office and industrial lessors and also has plenty of expertise in real estate financings.
‘The team has a very good understanding of both the intricacies of Romanian law and the needs of real estate development. It is well structured and work is very efficiently delivered.’
‘In-depth knowledge of real estate and construction law, robust practical experience in real estate transactions – both share deals and asset deals, very good knowledge of local market practice, diligence, commitment, efficiency, perfect responsiveness. Compared to other firms – unmatched responsiveness and readiness to help. Very nice and friendly attitude.’
‘Victor Constantinescu leads the team with a very good managerial approach and good client relationship focus. He has good overview of the overall project situation and steps in where necessary to provide support.’
Cromwell Property Group
Lion’s Head Investments
Adval Asset Management
MolsonCoors Global Business Services
Goldmark Property Management
M1 Real Estate
- Acting for Logicor on the €120m sale of its Romanian industrial portfolio.
- Advising Lion’s Head Investments on the €60m acquisition of Building C in Oregon Park from Portland Trust, which, added to 2018’s acquisitions of buildings A and B, took the total deal value over €110m.
- Acting for Cromwell Property Group on the sale of two industrial parks in Romania – A1 Industrial Park and Domnești.
Real estate is a key area for Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA, and the Bucharest's team importance to the firm's wider network was demonstrated by managing partner Sebastian Gutiu's appointment as firm-wide real estate head. The team handled over €2.4bn worth of real estate projects over the past year, acting for developers, investors, lenders and major lessors and retail companies. Lawyers are also experienced in related areas such as environmental law and construction litigation. Eva Hegedüs-Brown is also noted for her real estate expertise.
BRD – Groupe Société Générale SA
HANNER RD SRL
- Advising OMV Petrom Marketing on 16 land acquisitions for the development of petrol stations.
- Acting for real estate developer, Hanner, on the ongoing €30m mixed-use development at the site of a former brewery in Bucharest, which will include 6,000sqm of office space and 187 new apartments.
- Assisting Groupe Société Générale with a €31m loan to help refinance existing loans for the development of the Coresi Business Campus office project in Brasov.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA is a popular choice for complex real estate development projects. In recent work, the team has worked on significant energy, healthcare and road infrastructure projects, acting for developers and construction companies. Practice heads Mihaela Bondoc and Cosmin Stavaru also have strong expertise in sales and acquisitions work.
Mihaela Bondoc; Cosmin Stavaru
‘Bondoc & Asociatii SCA has a strong and dedicated multidisciplinary team, eager to identify and deliver the optimum legal solutions. Their business oriented approach, enthusiasm and highly professional and diligent team are key factors that distinguish them from similar law firms on the market.’
Samax/Euro Sun Mining
Delphi Diesel Systems Romania
Town of Novaci
JD Norman Industries Inc.
Aptiv Technology and Services & Solutions SRL
Fresenius Medical Care
- Acted for Portuguese construction group, Martifer, on the negotiations for the construction of the Ciurel Bridge, one of the largest infrastructure projects being developed by the Bucharest municipality.
- Advised Sanamed Hospital on the negotiation of a lease agreement for its medical centre premises with developer Vastint.
- Assisted Eviva Energy with the due diligence for a wind power project in which the urban real estate aspects were of key importance.
Clifford Chance Badea is well equipped to handle complex cross-border transactions often with a strong corporate finance element. Nadia Badea's team was involved in several major acquisitions and developments and has a strong investment fund client base. The firm's track record in finance and capital markets inevitably feeds into the real estate side, and the team regularly advises on major financings and bond issues.
- Advised AEW investment fund on the sale of its Romanian portfolio to Morgan Stanley and Indotek Group. Assets included America House, an A-class office building in Bucharest and the 55,000sqm Promenada Mall Târgu Mureș retail centre.
- Assisted CA Immo with its €53m acquisition of the 22,000sqm Campus 6.1 office building in Bucharest from Skanska.
- Advised NE Property on the implementation of its €1.5bn bond programme, which is guaranteed by Nepi Rockcastle.
Filip & Company's team, which is led by Ioana Roman, is one of two firms to emerge from PeliFilip. The firm acts for a mix of developers, investment funds and corporate occupiers and investors, and has strong experience of major development projects, corporate-structured buyouts and land acquisitions.
‘The team was very much geared towards making our client’s project possible, they were always looking to find a solution for any problems that came up. This made them very different from the other party’s legal advisor team. Filip’s team helped our client to assess risks and take any risks acceptable.’
‘A very professional team. They have handled complicated real estate transaction in an intensive, thorough and energetic manner.’
‘Ioana Roman is an excellent professional with deep knowledge of the subject combined with a proactive and helpful attitude.’
Argo Real Estate
J.P. Morgan Securities Plc
RCS & RDS
UBM Development AG
Raiffeisen Property International
- Advised developer, Forte Partners, on the sale of The Bridge office project in Bucharest, comprising three office buildings with over 100,000sqm of space, to Dedeman.
- Assisted Portland Trust with the sale of its 70,000sqm Oregon Park office project in Bucharest.
- Acted for the British DIY retail group, Kingfisher, on its acquisition of Praktiker Romania, which operates 26 retail units in Romania.
Musat & Asociatii acts for a mix of domestic and international developers and investors, and has good experience handling high-end development projects and acquisitions. The firm also advises corporate clients on their real estate leases and is also recommended for its considerable litigation expertise. Monia Dobrescu is highly experienced in this area.
Mona Muşat; Monia Dobrescu
‘High level of professionalism, good knowledge of the legislative history of Romania in the real estate field for the last 30 years.’
‘The real estate team is highly qualified and experienced and offers best advice as to the legal strategies. The lawyers are also very commercially oriented.’
‘Monia Dobrescu and her team of associates are highly knowledgeable. They understand our specific needs and always come with a personalized approach. Finding the right path through the complicated and not always clear Romanian legal system is definitely a test for the best. And they pass it over and over again.’
Brookfield Business Partners
- Assisting real estate developer, Belvedere Development, with the Belvedere Residence project in northern Bucharest, consisting of 1,556 apartments and commercial space across 13 buildings.
- Acting for recruitment company, Buck Consultants, on its relocation and the signing of a corporate lease in Iasi City.
- Advising Neico Grup on the potential sale of a property in northern Bucharest.
Noerr has a strong track record advising major investors, including retailers and industrial manufacturers, on all of their land and building acquisition and development projects. On the retail side, the team acts for several key lessors. The firm also has good developer expertise and regularly acts for clients on construction issues. Team head Roxana Dudau has considerable experience in the real estate field.
‘I was very happy with their knowledge, speed, attention, and flexibility during our assignment. Luiza Bedros and Roxana Dudau are the people I worked with, and all the positive things I can say about the law firm are based on their performance.’
Peikko Group Corporation
European Commission in Romania
Element Industrial, Element Development, Element Investments
- Advising Kaufland on all of its real estate matters, including ten new store openings in the past year (and 122 in total).
- Advising Finnish floor manufacturer, Peikko Group, on its acquisition of a manufacturing plant near Bucharest from the Swedish group, SSAB.
- Acting for German communication technology company, Kathrein, on the Romanian real estate aspects of the sale of its mobile networks antenna business to Ericsson.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has a strong transactional real estate practice, which is especially experienced in commercial lease agreements. The firm also acts for a broad range of investors, and its strong banking practice is very active in major real estate financings. Alexandru Retevoescu leads the team, which includes highly rated counsel Ianita Tui. Raluca Năstase was a new arrival in 2020.
‘RTPR Allen & Overy has a great team, always ready to help, proactive and business orientated. Their availability and fast document turnaround are very helpful and prove their client orientated services. This is coupled with superior knowledge and expertise of the difficult Romanian real estate market.’
‘Very reliable and hard working team. They have excellent capabilities and outstanding client approach. Extremely proactive and always available – we valued this very much as we needed to sign the deal quite urgently.’
‘Ianita Tui is an excellent lawyer, extremely experienced in real estate matters and a true trusted advisor. Her advice helped us speed up the negotiations and reach a very good deal with the counterparty.’
- Advised Prime Kapital on the €112m sale of a real estate portfolio, consisting of nine retail centres, to MAS Real Estate.
- Assisted ING Tech, the global software development hub of the ING group, with the lease of its new 13,000sqm headquarters in Romania.
- Acted for Regus on lease agreements as well as its expansion into new offices comprising 17,100sqm of letting space.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law has an experienced team of lawyers who come are sought after by major international developers and investors. The firm has good experience advising on major land acquisitions, as well as retail, residential and office development projects. Silviu Stratulat and Corneliu Popa are the names to note.
‘Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law offers excellent knowledge, and an amazing understanding of the Romanian real estate market. The lawyers are very responsive and able to provide exceptional legal advice. ‘
‘Silviu Stratulat is a great professional, he values correctly his team, he is always available to give you ad-hoc advice and to guide you in decision taking. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Corneliu Popa has excellent real estate knowledge and the ability to deliver spectacular results. He really stands out for his professionalism. His commitment to superior customer service is clear and he always goes the extra mile to provide us with the highest level of skill and expertise in the real estate market.’
Cordia Parcului Residential Project
World Class Romania
ERP Targu Mures
Midtown Retail SRL
Complexul Multifunctional Victoria
- Advised London Partners on the acquisition of a 29,000sqm plot of land in the Expozitiei Area of Bucharest.
- Advised Cordia Parcului Residential on the development of Bucharest’s first smart home, a concept residential project.
- Assisted two local vehicles of Hagag Group Israel with two high-end residential and retail development projects in Bucharest.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA has a strong reputation for real estate advice and acts for a mix of investors, developers and major commercial tenants. The team, which is led by Roxana Negutu, is highly experienced in high-value lease agreements, financings, development projects, and acquisitions. The firm also has a good contentious practice.
ACNielsen part of VNU Group
Heubach Invest GmbH
REWE PROJEKTENTWICKLUNG ROMANIA/ REWE Romania
- Advising Bel Rom Opt on a range of acquisitions and development projects, including a recent refinancing for its retail park in Botosani.
- Acting for FMC Romania on drafting and negotiating a lease agreement for an office premises in Bucharest.
Wolf Theiss has a solid real estate offering, which acts for a broad mix of domestic and international clients, including major banks, on financings. The firm has been involved in several significant acquisitions and divestitures over the past year. Bryan Jardine and Flaviu Nanu lead the team. Former head Ciprian Glodeanu left to establish his own firm.
Bryan Jardine; Flaviu Nanu
Aberdeen Immobilien Kapitalanlagegesellschaft, Degi Millennium Tower
Revetas Capital Advisors LLP
Agrium Agroport Romania
Erste Group Bank
Banca Comerciala Romana
Beazley Furlonge Limited
Credit Value Investments
Liberty Global Transaction Solutions
- Advised Banca Comerciala Romana on the €14m refinancing of the Olympia Tower in Bucharest.
- Assisted Search Corporation, and the two minority shareholders of Plaza Development, with the €45m sale of Crystal Tower.
- Acted for Domaine Vinarte on the €1.5m sale of the Romanian Winery, Zoresti winery, which included a 90ha vineyard.
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys) has a broad real estate offering, which includes strong niches in areas such as agriculture and logistics parks, where it acts for some of Romania's largest players. Sergiu Gîdei leads the team, which has also acted for several high-net-worth individuals.
‘Very easy to deal with and professional. Prompt advice both verbally and in writing – always delivered in a practical and easy to understand way. User friendly.’
‘Sergiu Gidei has an excellent legal knowledgebase, and a high level ability to advise on complex aspects concerning or company. We strongly recommend Sergiu for any real estate project, as he has all the required ingredients to satisfy the client’s need at the highest professional level’.
Olympian Park Group
Terra Invest Group
Romania Hypermarche – Louis Delhaize Group
Keswick Enterprises Group
- Advised Olympian Park Group on obtaining a €48m loan from two international banks to finance the expansion of its industrial and logistics parks network across Romania.
- Assisting Universul Group with the lease agreements for 8,000sqm of office space in Universul Palace.
- Acting for a high-net-worth-individual on the sale of 20,000sqm of land in North Bucharest which will be used for a high-end residential development.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica's real estate practice forms an important part of its broader commercial offering. Recently, the team has advised several clients on negotiating key lease agreements, while also acting for investors on major acquisitions. Anca Albulescu is the main contact.
Wienerberger – Sisteme de Caramizi
Still Material Handling Romania
- Advising Riverbed Technology on the negotiation and execution of the lease agreement for its new headquarters.
- Acting for Supernova Group on the €10m acquisition of a real estate investment vehicle, which will develop a shopping centre in Sibiu.
- Assisting Hornbach with the €2.5m acquisition of several plots of land in the city of Oradea.
Bulboaca & Asociatii
Bulboaca & Asociatii covers all areas of real estate law, including acquisitions, sales, developments, financings, and leases. The firm has been involved in several significant deals including the development of a logistics park, and the sale of a major hotel. Clients include major investment funds, developers, hotel companies and industrial tenants. Alexandra Radu is the main contact.
Dragne & Asociatii SCA has a strong transactional practice, but it is on the litigation side where the team really stands out. This feeds into the firm's strong ability to advise on risks at the transaction and development phase. The experienced team includes Delia Bosman, Ioana Oprea, Andreia Dumitrescu and highly rated managing partner Ion Dragne.
Delia Bosman; Ioana Oprea; Andreia Dumitrescu
‘The team’s availability and speed in finding solutions and adopting strategies is one of their main assets. Another great asset is represented by their practical experience and their power to establish the best strategy to be followed based not only on the factual circumstances but also on the entire economical and social context of the case.’
‘They are intelligent, well-trained, rapidly adapting to the complex situations arising in the development of the case; they are supportive and dedicated to solving matters in the most professional manner.’
- Advising West Gate Studio on a due diligence report linked to a plot of land and the validity of the ownership title held by the prospective seller.
- Assisting Romconsulting Office Concept with the sale of some of its portfolio properties to a third-party investor.
Drakopoulos advises its domestic and international clients on a mix of real estate acquisition, portfolio management, project development and financing matters. Practice head Adrian Roseti works closely with lawyers in the firm's Athens headquarters.
Secure Property and Development Investment
- Assisting EMV-UTI with its acquisition of several real estate assets in western Romania.
- Advising Greenlake Development on its €150m Green Lake Residences residential construction project in Bucharest.
- Assisted Icme Ecab with the acquisition of several land plots.
Laurentiu, Laurentiu & Asociatii is one of the leading firms for real estate advice in Romania's second city of Cluj-Napoca. The firm covers all aspects of the market including commercial and residential developments, acquisitions, and hotel and leisure projects. Ioana-Romana Laurentiu has a strong practice in this area.
Erdelyi Hirado Editura
Tulip Investment and Development
- Advising SPV Investment on the development of an 8,000sqm hotel complex in the ski resort of Poiana Brasov.
- Acting for Soimeni Parc on its €120m multi-phase real estate project, which includes the construction of over 600 individual houses in Cluj County.
- Assisting CBS Design with the €6m development of an apartment complex in the city of Brasov.
MPR Partners | Maravela, Popescu & Roman has a strong commercial real estate service that works closely with the corporate team. Recently, it has provided strong real estate due diligence support on several landmark corporate deals. Standalone work includes several significant construction disputes, and non-contentious advice to developers, car park operators and healthcare companies. Alexandra Rîmbu and Dana Rădulescu are well regarded.
Dana Rădulescu; Alexandra Rimbu
‘The team at Maravela, Popescu & Roman comprises skilled lawyers that treat every aspect with excellent care and focus, providing cross departmental expertise in a timely manner.’
‘Maravela is the most professional legal firm with whom I worked: great services, direct constant communication, deep knowledge and vast experience, they came every time with proposals which are easy and to the benefit of the customer.’
‘Alexandra Rimbu is a strong professional in real estate.’
B Braun Avitum
- Advising Chimcomplex, a chemicals company, on all related real estate issues, including due diligence on land and construction, linked to its €127m acquisition of Oltchim’s assets following its insolvency.
- Acting for B Braun Avitum, a global medical and pharmaceutical group, on all of the real estate issues related to its acquisition of several dialysis centres in Romania, Moldova and other CEE jurisdictions.
- Assisting Alpha Parking, a car park developer and operator, with all real estate issues linked to its Romanian car park portfolio, including a recent tender by Bucharest Municipality for a €124m underground car park.
Pavel, Margarit & Associates Romanian Law Firm has an experienced, which is team led by highly regarded managing partner Radu Pavel, who handles contentious and non-contentious matters. The practice acts for several major developers and has recently acted on significant projects in the residential space. The firm also regularly assists manufacturing, retail and mining investors with their acquisitions and portfolios.
‘Pavel, Margarit & Associates is a reputed law firm in the real estate area. They are a very good team of lawyers and I would highly recommend them.’
‘I was impressed by the abilities they possess when it comes to real estate matters, such as acquisitions, consultancy matters and refinancings.’
‘Radu Pavel, the managing partner of the law firm, is highly experienced, very careful with details, and a very diligent and proactive lawyer.’
African Consolidated Resources
POP & PARTNERS
POP & PARTNERS has a solid real estate team, which advises several major energy and telecoms companies on their real estate interests in Romania. The firm has a strong track record in major development projects and is also highly experienced in real estate transactions. Claudiu Pop is the main contact.
China General Nuclear Power Group
China New Era Group Corporation
P3 (formerly Point Park Properties)
Bucharest Films Studios
STALFORT Legal. Tax. Audit. has an extremely good reputation with German-speaking clients, and acts for several major manufacturers operating in Romania. The team regularly advises on acquisitions and development projects, particularly in the industrial and energy sector, where it also acts for construction companies. Oana Somesan and Andrada Harangus are the key names to note.
Oana Somesan; Andrada Harangus
‘The team is very competent and experienced in real estate matters and helped us not only in drafting relevant contracts and other legal documentation but also with comprehensive consulting and recommendations based on risk evaluation. They also provided a very good support in complex negotiations.’
‘We had really great experience with Andrada Harangus during the acquisition process of a land plot. She was very open and transparent during the process.’
‘Oana Somesan has almost 20 years experience as a real estate and construction lawyer. We highly appreciate her perfect German, her profound legal and practical knowledge, her ability to explain complex problems to persons who do not know the Romanian system, and especially her targeted and persevering advisory and negotiation style.’
Continental Group (Romania)
Osborne Clarke Germany
Dr. Oetker (Romania)
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
Marquardt Schaltsysteme SCS
SYSMEC Romania SRL (VAT group)
- Advised automotive company, Continental Group, on its multimillion-euro acquisition of a 32ha industrial platform in Timisoara, as well as the extension of its research and development facility in Iasi.
- Advised Getec Group, as the contractor, on the construction of a major cogeneration plant in Podari.
- Assisted automotive company Harting with the extension of its existing plant in Sibiu.
VASS Lawyers stands out for its top notch public procurement expertise, and acts for a broad range of private sector clients on related real estate matters. This includes tender bids, project development and contractual advice, and any related litigation. Iulia Vass has a strong standing in the market.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners has team with a strong reputation for transactional advice. The firm advises landowners and investors on plot sales, acquisitions and development projects, and also acts for several key retail occupiers. Clients also benefit from the firm's stand-out litigation practice. Anca Danilescu's team includes the highly rated Catalin Micu and well-regarded associate Alina Guler.
‘We rate Catalin Micu for his availability, openness to new situations and his solution searching.’
‘Alina Guler is professional, helpful, a problem solver, responsive and thinks out of the box.’
‘The team is professional, prompt and knowledgeable.‘
Point Park Properties Group
WNS Global Services
- Advising Uctam on the sale of various plots of land in Bucharest
- Acting for Dolphin Invest on the acquisition of several plots of land on the outskirts of Bucharest to be developed into retail sites.
- Assisting adidas with a reassessment of the lease agreements for its stores in Romania.