Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a first class team, equally experienced in conventional and renewables power as it is on oil and gas and natural resources matters. The firm's standing in the market is demonstrated through its work, such as advising CEZ on the divestment of its Romanian operations. Beyond transactional matters, the firm is also strong on infrastructure, regulatory and dispute resolution. Clients also praise the firm's deep bench strength: lead partners Sorin Vladescu, Cornel Popa, Gabriel Zbarcea, and Irina Moinescu have established excellent reputations and managing associate Nisa Jecu is also extremely well regarded.
Energy and natural resources in Romania
Sorin Vladescu; Cornel Popa; Irina Moinescu
Other key lawyers:
Gabriel Zbarcea; Nisa Jecu
‘Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii has a remarkable team of lawyers dealing with energy, oil and gas or mining issues. Their ability to deal with very large projects in these fields is remarkable as well. They have all the boxes covered and are quick to respond, meet tight deadlines and warn about potential issues. I have had a very good collaboration with them so far.’
‘They are creative, no doubt about that, and have a strong reputation for being one step ahead of the competition on several aspects. Nothing comes to my mind in particular, however this firm has had an incredibly proactive approach in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic as compared to some other law firms.’
‘TZA lawyers have in depth knowledge on market regulation and common practices, they can sense immediately the specifics of a legal issue and act proactively with advice and assistance on the matter raised by the client.’
‘In short: highly professional, with excellent technical abilities and efficient staffing. The energy team is one of the best in the country.’
‘Sorin Vladescu is the leader of the energy team. He is highly skilled, business savvy and very cerebral but very practical at the same time. To me, he is an authority in energy law.
‘Irina Moinescu has achieved a wealth of knowledge and expertise and delivers a consistent level of quality advice in matters relating to energy (electricity, renewables, gas etc). She explains issues in a clear language so that the client understands the risks.’
‘Cornel Popa is a sharp mind and an expert in the regulatory aspects of the oil and gas industry. He has an ability to look for win-win solutions which is particularly comforting.’
‘Gabriel Zbarcea: excellent negotiator, highly respected, outstanding client management skills.’
‘Nisa Jecu: She is a very competent lawyer, very efficient in manner and easy to work with. She demonstrated great intelligence, tenacity and commitment to client’s needs.’
CEZ group of companies
Marubeni Corporation Japan
The State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development – EBRD
- Advising CEZ a.s. on the sale of its operations in Romania, covering all regulatory, corporate and M&A, real estate, employment, litigation, and competition issues.
- Advising Eurotransgaz SRL (subsidiary of Transgaz, the Romanian national gas transporter) on the development of the Unghen–Chisinau gas transmission pipeline.
- Assisting Bepco, an Energy Saving Company (ESCo), in connection with various regulatory/corporate issues arising from its operations on the Romanian energy market.
CMS has a top-notch reputation for transactional, infrastructure and regulatory issues. The firm's client base spans leading companies and public sector institutions, active both in the traditional and renewables energy sectors. Practice head Varinia Radu has established herself as a leading figure in the market and is also deputy head of the firm's broader CEE practice. The international network gives it a strong edge in the market, particularly for large corporate deals and projects. The firm is also active on the procurement side and clients benefit from a strong finance and capital markets practice.
‘The team is unique in their experience and understanding of the legal framework and it’s operation for the oil and gas industry. They have excellent relationships in place with key authorities who regulate and govern the industry. I consider the team to be unique in their depth of experience and understanding of the legal framework.’
‘I value the honesty and frankness of the team, it’s not often what I want to hear but they argue their point well. In particular I find Varinia Radu a highly professional and experienced practitioner.’
‘Excellent sector knowledge and relationships makes it Bucharest number one firm.’
DWS Alternatives Global Limited
Gunvor International B.V.
Solarpro Holding AD
Petosolar SRL (part of Contour Global)
E.ON Energie Romania
Romanian Government, Minister of Energy
Mazarine Energy Romania
Gas Plus Dacia
SC PEWETE EVO EUROPE SRL
Romanian Petroleum Exploration and Production Association (ROPEPCA)
Fora Oil and Gas and Alpha Oil and Gas (part of Pico Petroleum/Cheiron Group Egypt)
ADX Energy (Australia)
Low Carbon Investment Management Limited
Masterchem Oil Ltd (Malta)
- Provided regulatory, commercial and transaction advice to Valorem SAS, including a due diligence analyses for the acquisition of a stake in a wind project.
- Provided regulatory and licensing advice to Gunvor, one of the largest power and gas traders in Europe.
- Provided advice to the solar power producers, Petosolar SRL and Contour Global, on energy market trading regulations and various compliance and reporting matters with the energy regulator.
Filip & Company has a multi-faceted energy and natural resources group that comes highly recommended for its comprehensive service. Clients use the firm on high-profile disputes as well as transactional, infrastructure and day-to-day regulatory issues. The firm is noted for its strong expertise in the nuclear sector, as well as hydrocarbons and renewable energy. Clients range from major utility providers, through to developers, energy traders, equipment manufacturers, investment funds and end-users. Highly-rated practice head Alina Stancu Birsan and managing partner Cristina Filip are both very active in this industry.
Alina Stancu Bîrsan; Cristina Filip
‘Solid track record in the sector with lots of return clients which is proof of their delivery. Mainly driven by partners but also promising younger generation.’
‘Very experienced in the field of important infrastructure development projects. Well aware about the Romanian nuclear energy sector. Good practice in the field of international civil and particularly commercial law.’
‘They were very dedicated to our project and deeply involved in the negotiations we carried on at that time. And although the negotiations took a very long time, much longer than initially anticipated, the involvement of their team in this process never decreased. Until the end of the negotiation process they remained 100% committed to the project.
‘Alina Birsan is an exceptional energy lawyer with deep sectoral insight and commercial mindset being able to cut through complex situations.’
‘Cristina Filip and her team have a unique way of putting things forward, narrowing it down to simple, transparent items that can be agreed upon by the parties. Her good knowledge of the market makes her very capable of adapting to new rules of play during discussions, meetings, negotiations. Cristina Filip is for sure the key element to their success. Her experience and implication makes her stand out but you cannot do this if the team does not work.’
RCS & RDS
RWE Supply & Trading
Energy Gas Provider
China CEE Equity Partners Fund
Romanian Commodities Exchange
Next Energy Partners SRL
- Assisting RWE Group in gas trading matters and interactions with the National Energy Regulatory Authority.
- Assisting WPD Romania in relation to regulatory matters concerning bilateral contracts for the sale of electricity.
- Representing Next Energy Partners SRL in a dispute, involving several court proceedings, relating to the performance and termination of two electricity sale-purchase agreements.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has a highly specialised team with a top market reputation. Practice co-head Gabriela Cacerea has a strong focus on electricity, renewables and downstream natural gas, while fellow co-head Ruxandra Bologa also handles upstream matters, oil and gas, and mining. The firm acts for several key market players, including domestic and international oil majors and power suppliers. This includes advice on regulatory issues, disputes, and cross-border transactions and infrastructure projects. The team, including associates such as Mirela Preda, is especially experienced in Black Sea oil and gas issues.
Gabriela Cacerea; Ruxandra Bologa
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong legal knowledge, sound judgment, and unusually responsive. Great to work with.’
‘Ruxandra Bologa – experienced, strong advocate, sound judgment, and firm convictions. Clarity of thought and vision. Great appreciation for the big picture and political landscape.’
Wuxi Suntech Power Co. Ltd.
OMV Petrom SA
MOL Commodity Trading Kft.
- Advising ExxonMobil Development Company on complying with all the regulatory requirements for obtaining various permits and new zoning documentation for an offshore project.
- Advising ENEL Energie Muntenia SA and ENEL Energie SA on domestic and EU regulatory issues and administrative complaints against the regulatory authority.
- Assisting OMV Petrom in relation to the interpretation and impact of the newly regulated market obligations.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA represents an impressive mix of domestic and international clients, offering expertise in related corporate, financing, infrastructure, regulatory and dispute resolution issues. The past few years have seen it instructed on several key transactions and projects in the conventional and renewables power sector, as well as significant mandates in oil and gas and natural resources. The team also has good expertise in distribution, trading and grid connection issues. Highly-rated practice head Victor Pădurari is backed by a strong team, including Mihai Ristici and well regarded senior associate Bogdan Cordoş.
Other key lawyers:
Mihai Ristici; Bogdan Cordoş
‘This practice is unique because they are patient, knowledgeable in the matters we contact with and also extremely easy to have a conversation with. They also provide help in a timely manner. Bogdan Cordos has been exceptional in handling matters professionally and in a timely manner. He is also extremely easy to work with. Definitely a people person with knowledge in required matters.’
Uniper Global Commodities
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA)
Allianz Capital Partners
- Advising Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets on the possible acquisition of a majority stake in the Romanian businesses of CEZ.
- Advised Uniper Global Commodities in relation to the regulatory requirements of trading natural gas on the Romanian market, gas export and transit and general advice in relation to the regulatory framework of the Romanian gas market
- Advising China Huadian Engineering, part of the China Huadian Corporation on the joint venture with Complexul Energetic Oltenia, the largest coalfired electricity producer in Romania, for the construction and operation of a 600MWh power plant.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA has built a superb reputation for energy-related legal advice, praised for its sector-specific expertise and ability to draw in other practice groups when required. Monica Cojocaru has developed a strong name in this area, with expertise that spans transactional, regulatory and infrastructure projects. She works alongside well-regarded corporate partner Markus Piuk, who divides his time between Bucharest and Vienna. The team is comfortable across most aspects of upstream and downstream oil and gas, and conventional and renewable power.
Markus Piuk; Monica Cojocaru
‘They provide exceptional quality even in the volatile Romanian environment. We have been cooperating for many years now and they have never let me down.’
‘The team combines the international reach of Schoenherr with detailed knowledge of local legal and practical issues. Their extensive experience in the sector gives them a genuine sector edge rather than energy being part of their overall practice. It also means they have excellent relationships with the relevant government and other agencies as well as all the major players: if you have an issue they will have seen it before and know how to solve it.’
‘The team is very diverse and their technology is top notch as you would expect from an international firm.’
‘They are well organised and they are provide quick reply covering various and complex issues. In case some legal issues needs different kind of expertise they bring inside the working teams lawyers covering not only the main aspect but also other issues in connection with the scope of work.’
‘Monica Cojocaru leads the team and is a very experienced sector expert. Very responsive, hugely knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
European Commission – Directorate-General for Energy
OMV Petrom Marketing
PATRES – the Renewable Energy Producers Organisation in Romania
- Advised OMV Petrom Marketing on its acquisition of the entire retail network of Art Petrol Service (consisting in eight fuel distribution stations). Following this transaction, OMV Petrom expanded its network to reach a footprint of 558 stations in Romania.
- Assisted the European Commission on conducting a study on the regulatory and administrative requirements for entry and trade on the gas wholesale market in the EU.
- Advising a major renewable energy company on its investments in the Romanian market, by the acquisition of ready-to-build projects or the development of new ones.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA is popular with a wide range of domestic and international clients, and is especially recommended for its expertise in the renewables energy sector. Among the partners, Cosmin Stavaru is singled out for high praise by clients, who appreciate the team's strong support on transactional, infrastructure and regulatory issues. The disputes side of the practice is also strong. Key individuals include Lucian Bondoc, Monica Iancu and Bogdan Bunrau.
Lucian Bondoc; Monica Iancu; Cosmin Stavaru; Bogdan Bunrau
‘Within complex matters as the ones arising from business operations within the renewable energy sector in Romania, it is of utmost importance to take care with the detail, and due command of the legislation and business requirements, and on that the law firm is extremely strong.’
‘This practice proves to be very helpful and the information that in-house peers provided was always accurate and exhaustive. Their availibility is among their main strengths compared to other big firms which do not always find the time to answer immediate requests. Another strong point is their good knowledge in the field of renewable energy in their country as well as their expertise on the operational level and this is the main reason why we keep on requesting their assistance whenever needed.’
‘Bondoc si Asociatii are a unique blend of quality legal assistance and a deep understanding of the business environment.’
‘I clearly highlight Cosmin Stavaru as one of the most experienced lawyers in Romania in the renewables energy domain, bringing always substantial value added to our projects and securing properly our position as client.’
‘Monica Bondoc is a knowledgeable lawyer, always on-time with deliverables, and a very good understanding of the business environment.’
Distrigaz Sud Retele
Clariant Produkte GmbH
Euro Sun Mining Inc.
Leading edge materials corp.
Eviva Energy (Martifer Renewables)
ImWind Elements GmbH
Windkraft Simonsfeld GmbH
- Assisting a consortium of banks in connection with a reserve-based financing of an off-shore gas drilling and gas treatment facility in Romania.
- Advising a major natural gas supplier in a regulatory investigation as well as in connection with new laws concerning windfall taxes and network distributors’ new obligations regarding the natural gas network extension.
- Advising Clariant in connection with the building and operation of a biomass fired combined heat and power plant aimed at delivering electricity and steam to a full-scale commercial cellulosic ethanol plant.
Dentons' market leading global energy group is hugely popular with major traditional and renewables-based energy companies. This market standing extends to Romania, where Claudiu Munteanu-Jipescu leads the well regarded team. The firm represents an impressive mix of private and public sector clients on related transactional issues, as well as concessions and infrastructure projects. Regulatory advice remains high on the agenda, and the team is noted for its strong track record negotiating with public authorities. The firm's strong standing in complimentary areas such as banking, capital markets and corporate finance adds depth to its offering.
‘A trusted adviser in Romania for us, very diligent and supportive at all hours. Worked well with their other European offices on a complex deal involving a number of counterparties.’
‘Maria Tomescu is fantastic, definitely one to watch. She knows her stuff, is fearless (while perfectly polite and patient) in making it known to the other side.’
Romanian Wind Energy Association (RWEA)
ENEL Energie Muntenia
CEE Equity Partners
- Advised Hidroelectrica on its planned IPO.
- Advised a leading renewable energy generator on the potential acquisition of wind farms.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has a strong pedigree for representing clients in the power and oil and gas industries. Marian Dinu has good industry experience, having previously been general counsel of OMV Petrom, while Paula Corban-Pelin is extremely experienced advising on the full life cycle of high-profile renewables and nuclear power projects. The versatile team offers full service support to industry clients, including regulatory, corporate and tax advice. Clients also benefit from the firm's strong regional and international network, particularly when it comes to complex cross-border mandates.
Marian Dinu; Paula Corban-Pelin
PNE Wind Romania Energy Holding
Global Green Energy
Freepoint Comodities Europe LLP
Hyosung Heavy Industries Corporation
PNE Solar Power Romania
GED Capital/TEB Energy Business S.A
Abris CEE Mid-Market Fund II LP
Early Game Ventures
CDI Oilfield Services
- Advising PNE Wind Romania Energy Holding in connection with 120MW worth of wind farm projects developed in several locations in Romania, as well as the subsequent sale of the projects.
- Assisting the subsidiaries of Hyosung Heavy Industries acting as EPC contractors and lenders to recover sums lent for the construction of several solar projects in Romania.
- Advised the Romanian start-up Watto Stations in connection with the setup/incorporation process of the company (network of ultra-fast power stations, specially designed for personal electric cars).
Ijdelea Mihailescu is a boutique firm with an increasingly strong reputation for advising on major regulatory issues and infrastructure projects. The firm is especially active in Black Sea oil and gas projects, offering an impressive full service, from initial procurement issues through to later stage contentious matters. The lawyers also have good expertise in mining, renewables and energy trading issues. Founding partners Oana-Alexandra Ijdelea and Anca Mihailescu are highly recommended.
Oana-Alexandra Ijdelea; Anca Mihailescu
‘Very hands on and execution focused.’
‘Their advice always brought tremendous value to our operations and deals. They know the industry intimately and are very familiar with cross-border matters. What we especially value is that the advice they give is always very business-oriented and judicious.’
‘The entire billing process is swift, transparent and most important, it reflects the already agreed discussion. Their staff is very welcoming and ready to help with any questions or logistical matter our office might have.’
‘Oana Ijdelea is exceptionally smart and gives impeccable advice. Anca Mihailescu is well-read and very hard-working.’
Black Sea Oil & Gas
East West Petroleum
Galane Gold Ltd
Gas Plus International and Gas Plus Dacia
- Advised Black Sea Oil & Gas, Petro Ventures and Gas Plus in relation to the financing of the Midia Gas Development Project.
- Advised Black Sea Oil & Gas in relation to the successful completion of the regulatory process of the Midia Gas Development Project.
- Advised Renovatio Group in relation to the capacity booking processes to the national gas transmission system for the client’s CCGT production facilities.
Kinstellar has a well-regarded, hands-on practice, with good experience of high-value corporate transactions, asset purchases, infrastructure projects and regulatory issues. The firm's recent advice to Dacian Petroleum regarding its oil fields acquisitions from OMV Petrom demonstrates the team's strong standing in the market. The practice is equally active in the power sector, both on the renewables and nuclear front. The firm is regularly referred work by major international firms, and its regional presence gives it a strong edge on cross-border mandates. Practice head Iustinian Captariu has a good reputation in the market.
‘Iustinian Captariu and his team are reliable lawyers; always very proactive and available to answer even with tight deadlines. Their knowledge of the energy sector and input to our business are highly appreciated and valuable.’
Ontario Power Generation
Anglo American Services Limited
- Advising Dacian Petroleum, a corporation formed by US oil investors, on the upstream acquisition of 40 onshore oil fields from OMV Petrom.
- Advising MAVIR Zrt., a Hungarian energy company, on the insolvency of Arelco Power and Transenergo, involving complex power trading issues.
- Advising Ezpada AG, a major European energy trader, on various regulatory and trading matters in Romania.
Musat & Asociatii has a versatile practice with good experience advising clients from across the energy and mining industries. This includes major renewables and conventional power companies, oil and gas businesses, energy traders, and key services providers and manufacturers for the wider industry. Practice co-heads Răzvan Stoicescu and Iulian Popescu bring plenty of experience to the table, with Popescu especially active on regulatory matters and infrastructure projects, and Stoicescu very experienced on the corporate finance side.
Iulian Popescu; Razvan Stoicescu
Solar Turbines Europe S.A
Zenith Energy Ltd
ENGIE Romania S.A.
Wellbore Integrity Solutions, an Affiliate of Private Equity Firm Rhône Capital
CCCC Tianjin Dredging Co., Ltd. Overseas Business Division
- Advising Solar Turbines Europe S.A. on contract negotiations and the development of a natural gas pipeline between Romania and Moldova.
- Assisting Zenith Energy Ltd, an international independent oil and gas company on production, exploration and development interests.
- Assisting Omya, a leading global producer of industrial minerals, in connection with the potential acquisition of Stera Chemicals SRL, a leading Romanian importer and distributor of raw materials for the chemicals and food industry.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii offers an impressively deep and broad range of expertise in conventional and renewable energy. The firm was involved in several high-profile disputes with state and the energy regulator on behalf of clients. The team has a particularly strong practice in the nuclear space and is a fixture on such projects. Florian Niţu has a strong focus on renewable and nuclear energy, Vlad Neacșu is active on the infrastructure side, while Ciprian Donțu handles disputes with the regulators.
Florian Nitu; Vlad Neacşu
Other key lawyers:
Zhejiang New Energy Investment Co Ltd.
Hyundai Engineering & Construction
Hidroconstructia & Hidroelectrica
Electricite de France (EDF)
Franklin Templeton Investment Management
- Representing Fondul Proprietatea in all litigation initiated against the Romanian State’s and ANRE’s decisions to re-establish the regulated market for the energy supplied to household consumers.
- Representing Fondul Proprietatea – the minority shareholder in Hidroelectrica – in litigation over the annulment of the shareholders’ decision to join the bid for the Romanian subsidiaries of CEZ company.
- Advising Enel Energie on a dispute concerning the annulment of a decision by the National Regulatory Authority for Energy that set the competitive price component to be charged by the client.
Energy and natural resources are core sectors for Suciu Popa, which has built a strong reputation for complex domestic and cross-border issues. The firm's client base includes a mix of major power and oil and gas companies as well as notable investors in the space. They regularly trust the team on their most strategic corporate, infrastructure and regulatory needs, including high-value disputes. Managing partner Miruna Suciu and energy expert Cleopatra Leahu are especially active on the non-contentious and regulatory side, while Luminița Popa is the main lead for contentious issues.
Miruna Suciu; Luminița Popa; Cleopatra Leahu
‘Professional and well balanced.’
‘The team at Suciu Popa is very dynamic and professional. Very straightforward and no time wasted. Because of their dynamic profile, they are very collaborative with peers and workflows and synergies come naturally.’
‘Miruna Suciu and Luminita Popa stand out through their seniority and high quality advice. They are both very implicated in supervising the firm’s projects. Partner Dan Ciobanu is also to be noted for his professionalism.’
SNGN Romgaz SA
Rompetrol Rafinare SA
Enel Green Power
E-Distributie Muntenia, E-Distributie Banat and E-Distributie Dobrogea
Oilfield Exploration Business Solutions SA
Romanian Commodities Exchange (Bursa Romana de Marfuri SA)
Hunt Oil Company of Romania
Helix Oilfield Services Ltd
- Advising Hunt Oil Company on a major 3D seismic acquisition project.
- Advising SNGN Romgaz SA in connection with the planned acquisition of a participating interest in Neptune Deep offshore block from ExxonMobil.
- Assisting Enel SpA on a shareholders agreement with Fondul Proprietatea SA and Societatea de Administrare a Participatiilor in Energie SA to help structure and implement the distribution of the extraordinary dividends in Enel’s Romanian electricity distribution and supply subsidiaries.
Volciuc-Ionescu is popular choice thanks to its boutique-like focus on the energy and mining sectors. The firm routinely advises on the Romanian aspects of international high-end corporate transactions, and has a strong track record in infrastructure projects, concession and off-take agreements, financing deals, and regulatory matters. Practice head Ramona Volciuc-Ionescu comes highly recommended.
‘What I particularly like about this team is the fact that they really know the energy sector, understand the technicalities and go beyond the legal aspects, which is rare for lawyers. They are also quick to respond and easy to work with. Ramona is among the few Romanian lawyers that understands the ins and outs of the energy business and always comes up with great solutions to our needs.’
‘Deep market understanding and very good boutique alternative in their sector. Sabin and Ramona Volciuc are very committed and responsive; understand the legal environment and what drives clients commercially.’
‘The firm is one of the best boutique firms dealing with energy matters. Our particular relationship involves oil and gas, but we are aware of their experience in solar as well. The firm is reliable, effective and with a fast response time. A dedicated team led efficiently by personable Ramona is a great asset. Ramona is personable, effective and clever. She is tenacious and dedicated to the cause, so that makes her stand out for me.’
Prospex Oil & Gas plc
Banca Comerciala Romana S.A.
OMV Gas Marketing & Trading
Sinohydro Holding (Hong Kong)
- Advised Mercuria on an off-take and financing arrangement for the supply of copper and zinc concentrate entered into with the British company Vast Resources plc, which has several mining projects in Romania.
- Advising Electrica Furnizare, a leading Romanian utility company, on the acquisition of Long Bridge Milenium, a company active in the renewable generation market.
- Advised Baumit Romania in connection with the acquisition of Ital-Kol, a company holding a license for the exploitation of a lime quarry.
Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii
Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii has a good track record advising clients on transactional, infrastructure and regulatory issues. Clients include significant players in the oil and gas, and renewables sectors. The firm was involved in several high-profile corporate acquisitions in the past year, particularly in the power and gas markets. Managing partner Ionut Bohalteanu has a good standing with domestic and international clients.
Premier Energy SRL
BERG Sistem Gaz SA
- Advised Premier Energy SRL in connection to the acquisition of B.E.R.G. Sistem Gaz SA.
- Advised BERG Sistem Gaz SA on a wide range of matters including corporate governance and the potential acquisition of a client portfolio from another gas distributor.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has good experience advising clients in the conventional and renewable energy sectors. This extends to advice on coal and gas-fired power plants, often involving every stage of a project life cycle, including potential contentious issues. Other areas of expertise include oil and gas exploration as well as mining, plus water issues. Disputes partner Daniel Stefanica and real estate and construction partner Anca Albulescu are the two main contacts.
Daniel Stefanica; Anca Albulescu
‘They were efficient, got on top of the detail quickly and delivered on time.’
HABAU PPS Pipeline Systems
- Advised Natura Management on a service contract with the Romanian Waters National Administration to research and consult on the national evaluation method regarding the ecological status of lakes.
- Advised HABAU PPS Pipeline Systems on the price adjustment for two contracts for projects linked to the BRUA (Bulgaria-Romania-Hungary-Austria) pipeline project.
Buzescu Ca has a good reputation for advising a wide range of energy clients, including several major energy traders and services companies. The firm's expertise includes regulatory and compliance issues. The team also provides strong support on cross-border corporate transactions and infrastructure projects. Managing partner Peter Buzescu, practice head Adrian Tomescu and associate Corina Papuzu all have good experience.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Tomescu; Corina Papuzu
‘The individuals I worked with are extremely professional and knowledgeable. They are both reactive and proactive. The quality of their support is outstanding.’
EDF Trading (Electricite de France subsidiary)
Gazprom Marketing & Trading
Dalea Investment Group
Central European Drilling
Viking Oilfield Services
- Advice to EDF Trading on day-to-day Romanian law, including electricity trading matters, compliance, corporate and regulatory issues, and reporting requirements.
- Advising Gazprom Marketing & Trading on electricity trading matters and corporate issues concerning Romania.
- Advised Statkraft Markets on various electricity trading issues, cross-border electricity trading, and regulatory issues.
D&B David si Baias SCA made strong inroads into the market through its absorption of the energy boutique Pachiu & Associates, including partner Laurentiu Pachiu and well-regarded consultants Marius Nita and Delia Pachiu. The new arrivals add depth to an energy practice, where managing partner Sorin David and corporate partner Anda Rojanschi also have strong experience. The group now provides a full service offering, encompassing transactional, infrastructure, regulatory and tax issues.
Other key lawyers:
Anda Rojanschi; Sorin David
‘The team has an extensive and in-depth knowledge and experience in the energy sector in Romania. It provides thorough information at once and full support. The team is very responsive. The cost estimates and billings are correct.’
‘Key strengths and capabilities are: Extremely knowledgeable of the Energy Market in Romania, including applicable law and regulations. In-house expertise on various specialist topics. Very well connected with official organizations in the energy industry in Romania, as well as the private sector, including investors.’
‘The firm seems to have a strong focus on innovations in people and technology. It has an easy and user friendly system of organising online meetings, even with large groups, and connecting to our team of attorneys by electronic means is very simple and a straightforward process.’
‘Professional, creative, pro-active and solution oriented: a true partner in all business dealings. Reliable, flexible, pleasant and professional co-operation, quick response times and excellent availability.’
‘We have been working with Marius Nita and Delia Pachiu for many years and have been accompanied through many regulatory changes. They respond within a short term, answer questions completely and handle all topics to our full satisfaction.’
CRH Ciment Romania
MOL Romania/Panfora Oil&Gas
Carlyle International Energy Partners
- Advised on the merger between Petrotel Lukoil SA and Lukoil Energy & Gas Romania SRL.
- Advised Prowind GmbH in all regulatory and legal issues related to the development of an onshore wind energy project.
- Advising OMV Petrom on a range of regulatory issues, including the development of Romania’s largest offshore natural gas reserves in the Black Sea (a joint development with Exxon Corp.).
Leroy si Asociatii is a strong choice for regulatory and contentious energy issues, where it is favoured by several key domestic and international players in the market. Clients include major gas and electricity distribution companies, and the firm's workload also extends to transactional and infrastructure deals, and concession agreements. Practice head Bruno Leroy is a highly experienced figure.
‘Very good and experienced team. In depth knowledge of the Romanian market. Bruno Leroy is one of the most experienced business lawyer in the Romanian market.’
ENGIE Romania S.A. (Member of ENGIE Group)
Wirom Gas S.A.
CIGA Energy SA
- Represented ENGIE Romania SA in a claim against the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority concerning natural gas pricing.
- Successfully assisted ENGIE Romania S.A. in contesting a fine issued by the Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority.
- Successfully defended Expert Petroleum, against a claim initiated by a local NGO, Asociaţia Salvăm Câmpia de Vest, regarding the annulment of a series of petroleum agreements operated by the client.
Wolf Theiss has a versatile energy and natural resources group with a strong regional presence in Central and South Eastern Europe. The practice is especially active on the infrastructure development side, and has a good track record advising on conventional and renewable energy projects. Corporate and regulatory advice also feature high on the agenda, as does energy-related litigation. Bryan Jardine leads the team, which includes counsel Flaviu Nanu.
Other key lawyers:
IKEA group (Ingka Investments)
European Investment Bank
Energreen Investment Europe S.A.
EFET (European Federation of Energy Traders)
GE International Wilmington
- Assisted Ingka Investments on the acquisition of 80% of seven portfolio companies (SPVs) holding nine wind farms totalling 171MW.
- Advised EIB on a proposed €100m loan facility for the unsecured financing of the Romanian section of the BRUA gas transmission corridor.
- Advised EFET, an organisation designed to improve the conditions of energy trading in Europe and to promote the development of a sustainable and liquid European wholesale market, in connection with Brexit-related energy law and regulatory questions.