Firms in the Spotlight Employment
Mihai, Lucian si Asociatii
The employment practice is coordinated by Ileana Lucian who has over 16 years of experience in the employment field, being a well-known lawyer in this area. Her professional activity started in 2003 within a Romanian top tier law firm, where she held the position of partner in the employment department for more than 4 years.View Profile...
Employment in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has established itself as a key player in the market, not only for the quality of its legal advice, but also through its contributions to the sector as a whole. Clients were quick to praise its COVID-19 podcast, as well as its general support throughout the pandemic. This came in addition to its usual range of contentious and non-contentious advice, including collective and individual agreements and dismissals, transfers of business, outsourcing, and pensions and benefits issues. Serban Pâslaru has an excellent reputation, and clients also appreciate the expertise of managing associate, Mihai Anghel.
Other key lawyers:
‘The employment team of Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii deserves special recognition. They are excellent in terms of resources, speed and response time, and the quality of advice in this discipline is without rival. They are also first class in dealing with employment litigation cases.’
‘The COVID-19 related podcasts are quite unique. I’ve listened to the first two or three episodes and they were really instructive and inspiring.’
‘Serban Paslaru is a multi-talented analytical thinker, a lawyer one can always count on. Ever since the early days of the pandemic, he has been extremely supportive, working on short deadlines, addressing business and legal risks with creativity, helping us comply with the specific regulatory requirements regarding covid-19.’
‘Mihai Anghel is a conscientious, dependable, and dedicated attorney with a wealth of expertise as regards complicated and, at times, delicate employment issues. He is absolutely great and a pleasure to deal with.’
Ericsson Telecommunications Romania
Alstom Transport Romania
Kelong Electrical Appliances
Roca Obiecte Sanitare
Contitech Thermopol Romania
Ericsson Antenna Technology Romania
Generali Romania Asigurare-Reasigurare
- Assistance to Tenaris Group in connection with a broad range of labour and employment matters arising out from client’s operations on the Romanian market (Tenaris employs 2,000 people in Romania).
- Day-to-day assistance to Carrefour Romania on various labour issues, including union-related work and union negotiations, preparation of collective negotiation, drafting of employment-related documents, and harmonisation of internal rules and procedures.
- Assistance to Contitech Thermopol Romania, part of Continental AG, in relation to a broad range of labour/employment matters.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has a first class reputation for all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law. The team attracts a broad range of clients, many of them multinationals who benefit from the firm's global network and ability to share information with offices and colleagues elsewhere. Practice head Monica Georgiadis is extremely popular with clients, and her team is commended for its strong cross-practice approach, bringing in expertise from other corners of the firm when required. She is backed by a good roster of senior lawyers, with counsels Andra Trantea and Elena Preotescu highlighted for praise.
Other key lawyers:
Andra Trantea; Elena Preotescu
‘Head and shoulders above other practices in the region. For a jurisdiction with a challenging legal system, they make their advice commercial and realistic for global businesses. We have been unfailing loyal to them as their advice and approach is peerless.’
‘In addition to their solid legal knowledge the DLA theam has great availability, reliability and an exceptional knowledge of the market. Their know-how is second to none. They are like an extend arm of the in-house team.’
‘One of their biggest strength is the integrated approach starting from the customer’s request. Some times the project started as an employment-related item and they discovered the tax implications or other areas and they brought them into the project. According to our experience, they are knowledgeable, very details oriented, good listeners, and great advisers.’
‘The DLA online knowledge system which they offer to clients across the globe is a huge bonus, along with their global co-ordinated updates and conferences make them stand out as a genuinely international network.’
‘Both Monica Georgiadis and Andra Trantea have been long term advisors to us. They have fantastic attention to detail without being overbearing.’
‘Monica Georgiadis is one of the top employment lawyers in the market with a remarkable ability to see the big picture and suggest solutions in complex situations; excellent interpersonal skills. She easily covers a multitude of employee-related issues and is particularly skilled at handling labour conflicts, providing real support in negotiations.’
‘Andra Trantea – available, approachable, experienced, good industry knowledge and market practice, able to work with options and help you make decisions.’
‘We have worked with Monica Giorgiadis, Elena Preotescu, and Andra Trantea. All of them were very passionate about offering an excellent collaboration, finding the best solution, educating us to better understand their recommendation and working together to understand the projects and the solutions step by step. Their calm and control were helpful and much appreciated.’
- Adviser to Honeywell on various complex employment challenges and projects.
- Adviser to Wipro in most of its Romanian employment matters.
- Adviser to Wizz Air, including in employment related regulatory aspects or disputes in front of various authorities.
Filip & Company is a popular destination for complex employment issues. The team, which is led by Ioan Dumitrascu and includes Cristina Tudoran, handles a broad mix of day-to-day and compliance issues, as well as more bespoke transactional and litigation advice. Clients come from across a wide range of sectors, including telecoms, manufacturing, consumer goods, life sciences, financial services, and healthcare. Recently, the firm advised on the employment implications of several significant mergers, and also provided strong support on COVID-19 related issues. Associate Razvan Ionescu is also very active on the contentious employment side.
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Tudoran; Razvan Ionescu
‘Not only is the team very knowledgeable, they also have extremely good communication skills and are able to advise even on the strategical / tactical approach. Even more, they are able to explain in a simple manner very complex concepts.’
‘A team of intelligent, focused lawyers with smart solutions.’
‘Very professional advice covering all perspectives, always in the agreed timeline. I really appreciate their availability and flexibility in covering our company needs.’
‘Ioan Dumitrascu and Cristina Tudoran come up with solutions in matters that are quite sensitive. They understand the company and constraints we have and they do not produce only the theoretical solution or recite the code, they identify applicable and implementable solutions to our problems.’
KEYSIGHT (former IXIA)
The Versapak Group
Remarkt Magazine (former Real Hyper Magazine)
- Assisted Zentiva in the context of the acquisition of Solacium Pharma last year, and selected to assist in the more recent acquisition of Alvogen Romania SRL and Labormed S.A.
- Instructed by Vodafone to assist during the integration of the UPC business after the acquisition of Liberty Global, including advice on employees’ rights and obligations, and on the impact on the workforce of the merger of two different HR systems and organizational processes, including compensation and benefits.
- Ongoing advice to British American Shared Services (Europe) on various employment issues, including reviewing internal policies, and providing specific advice during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Magda Volonciu and Associates
Magda Volonciu and Associates is a top drawer employment boutique that services a wide range of multinational and domestic companies, as well as public institutions and employers' associations. The team is well versed in day-to-day matters as well as more bespoke contentious and non-contentious issues. Magda Volonciu, Maria Dobre, Corina Radu and Mariana Anastasopol are all key contacts. The firm also has an office in Constanta.
Magda Volonciu; Maria Dobre
Other key lawyers:
Corina Radu; Mariana Anastsopol
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has a hungry team with a top-notch reputation among the firm's clients, who trust them with their most sensitive contentious and non-contentious employment issues. While the firm has no specialist partners, managing associates (and practice co-heads) Gabriela Dinu and Roxana Abrasu share close to thirty years' experience between them. They are backed by a strong team of specialised senior associates, including Ionut Stancu and Laura Danescu. The standalone team acts for an impressive mix of leading global corporations and domestic players, and is also strong in areas such as immigration, pensions and benefits.
Roxana Abrasu; Gabriela Dinu
Other key lawyers:
Ionut Stancu; Laura Danescu
‘Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen is really what you call ‘one team’. There is always a lawyer available and they all know the full background if your own lawyer is not available. You never have to start over with a case or question. It is a proactive team as well. Always sending us info if they think it’s applicable to our company.’
‘NNDKP is been the best law firm I’ve ever worked with by far. What makes them unique is the human approach, the willingness to understand the context in order to give the best advice instead of enumarating a series of scenarios with the associated risks. They are professional and have the best response time to every query I’ve sent their way. They actually partner with the customer and give the best service.’
‘Good understanding our business and always providing solutions tailored to our needs. Ability to joggle with multiple complex topics in parallel, with very tight deadlines. Inputs provided in an accessible language (as opposed with other inputs received from other firms where we need to perform an ‘internal translation’ prior to sending the message to the business.’
‘Roxana Abrasu is always available, has good advisory skills and also understands business constraints which is critical for us.’
‘Ionut Stancu – his level of understanding our business and to handle very complex topics is impressive. His interactions with us and our clients were always very well prepared, his proposed solutions are very pragmatic but in the same time creative. He is one of the best prepared attorneys I’ve worked with.’
‘Laura Danescu and Gabriela Dinu stand out with their friendly and calm approach, always taking the time to explain things using a plain language instead of quoting the letter of the law. They has always been thorough and swift in their replies and took the time for actual conversations instead of back-and-forth emails.’
- Advising a leading global professional services company on various employment matters, including litigation.
- Legal assistance to a packaging company on various day-to-day employment matters, including assistance in revising the internal policies and aligning them with the local legal requirements.
- Advice to a leading games software publisher of games on various employment matters, including litigation.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA provides comprehensive employment support to its domestic and international clients. The past year has inevitably been dominated by COVID-19 related issues, but the firm also advised on several significant group reorganisations and collective agreements. Other areas of expertise include outsourcing, corporate support, senior management settlements, employee misconduct issues and dismissal procedures. The experienced practice head Mihaela Bondoc is highly recommended by clients, who also rate managing associate Daniela Gladunea.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the very few law firms in the market that can really assist professionally on complex projects and that is very good in all complementary areas of law. Very solid experience. Business oriented. Hard working. Holistic approach. Understand very well our activities and have a lot of experience in the healthcare sector.’
‘The employment team provided specific advice on a variety of complex corporate and employment law matters. Moreover, the team regularly sends to us commercial and employment law updates that we consider very useful and help our business stay up to date.’
‘The employment team is very well informed, has excellent expertise and is responsive.’
‘We value the practice’s highest-quality services, flexible and transparent billing, and the fact that our specific is well understood. They always ensure that we are kept up to date with changes in the law and the impact of such changes on our activity.’
‘Very good professionals, promote pragmatic approaches. Attentive to detail and nuances. They have a very solid team. The core team of relevance for this area as far as the regular interactions with us are concerned includes partner Mihaela Bondoc and Managing Associate Daniela Gladunea. Partner Mihaela Bondoc is extremely professional, very experienced and solutions-oriented. Daniela Gladunea has very good technical knowledge, and is also very helpful and pragmatic. All very, very good.’
EFD INDUCTION S.R.L
Astra Rail Industries S.A
Clariant Products S.R. L
Delphi Diesel Systems Romania S.R. L
Eurosun Mining/Samax Romania S.R. L
Fresenius Medical Care Romania S.R. L
Merck Sharp & Dohme Romania S.R. L
Nolato Romania S.R. L
Pronetis S.R. L
Profi Rom Food S.R. L
RKB Shared Services Centre S.R. L
Dynata Romania S.R.L
IREM SPA SIRACUSA BUCHAREST BRANCH
Urgent Curier S.R.L
RADIO FREE EUROPE
- Advising the retailer, PROFI Rom Food, in relation to the management agreement of its new high-profile CEO.
- Advising a global leader in automotive seating, Adient LLC US, in connection to its Romanian business transfer, as part of the sale to Sage Automotive Interiors Inc. spanning numerous jurisdictions.
- Advising Aptiv Technology, with over 3,500 employees, on collective negotiations throughout various sensitive restructuring programmes, on management level settlements, disciplinary cases, and Covid-19 related challenges, such as applying technical unemployment and requesting the state covered allowance.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has a strong practice with good experience across all areas of employment law. As well as day-today employment issues, the team plays a key role advising on transactional related matters, including business launches, M&A, divestitures, reorganisations, outsourcing and insolvencies. Employment litigation features high on the agenda, as does broader advice on internal compliance procedures and collective negotiations. Practice head Anca Grigorescu has over 20 years' experience in the market. Managing associate Cristina Randjak is also a key part of the team.
Other key lawyers:
WBV weisenburger Bau + Verwaltung GmbH
Riverbed Technology, Inc
- Advised S IMMO, a leading European real estate investment company with its head office in Vienna, on employment and employee data protection matters in the context of the expansion of the Romanian office team.
- Advised Signify (formerly Philips Lighting), a major lighting manufacturer, on the full range of employment issues.
- Advised Riverbed Technology, Inc., a US information technology company, on employment matters following its recent entry in the Romanian market as a result of global acquisition of a leading Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) group of companies.
CMS represents an impressive mix of global household names and key domestic employers. The group works closely with the M&A team to provide critical employment support on major transactions. The practice also offers bespoke contentious and non-contentious advice across the full range of matters, including pensions and benefits. Multinational clients also gain from the firm's strong regional presence, where it offers good employment expertise on cross-border and EU issues. Disputes partner Horia Draghici leads the team, with support from senior counsel Cristina Popescu and associate Ruxandra Georgescu.
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Popescu; Ruxandra Georgescu
- Advising a global luxury cosmetics manufacturer and retailer on day-to-day non contentious employment matters (including in the current Covid-19 economic and social context).
- Advising a top national airline company on various employment non-contentious matters, including restructuring of local workforce.
- Successfully advised a leading pharmaceutical company on highly sensitive and complex employment matters, ranging from workforce restructuring, TUPE rules, employment termination to management arrangements, in the context of an M&A transaction.
Kinstellar is a strong choice for day-to-day and more complex employment law issues. Contentious support features high on the agenda, and the firm has been involved in several significant collective dismissals, disciplinary investigations, and related litigation. The team also has good expertise in transactional related employment support, employee benefits and pension plans. Versatile disputes partner Remus Codreanu leads the practice, which has a deep bench of specialised associates, including Mădălina Anghenie.
Other key lawyers:
Can-pack Food and Industrial Packaging
Visteon Electronics Romania
AECOM Technology Corporation
Bromium UK Ltd.
Aqualia Intech S.A.
Union Chimique Belge
- Assisting Temenos Romania on a compensation dispute with a former employee for having performed overtime. Also advised Temenos Romania on various employment law matters, including Covid-19.
- Advising Can-Pack in Romania on the implementation of a collective dismissal of employees from its factory in Tecuci. The team also advised on prior employment compliance work and review of relevant underlying employment documentation were also required.
- Advising Maersk on various day-to-day and bespoke employment law matters, including a complex internal reorganisation of its Romanian subsidiary, involving several dismissals.
Musat & Asociatii has a multi-faceted employment team with a broad range of expertise. This includes negotiating and drafting individual and collective agreements, M&A support, and advice on outsourcing, immigration, redundancy programs, and benefits and pensions schemes. The team has deep knowledge of local, national and EU-wide employment issues, which explains its popularity with domestic and international clients. Deputy managing partner Mihai Popa leads the team, which includes managing associate Simona Anton and senior associate Dragoș Lungu.
Other key lawyers:
Simona Anton; Dragoș Lungu
Ministry of Energy
Brookfield Business Partners L.P.
- Assisted Amazon, the online retailer, on a variety of labour-related matters, including employees’ health and safety, and customised solutions for teleworking and relations with key personnel.
- Assisting Dr. Max on the employment aspects of its acquisition of the largest wholesale distributor of medicines in Romania (Mediplus) and a pharmacy chain with over 600 pharmacies.
- Provided local employment law advice to Brookfield Business Partners L.P. in connection with its $13.2 billion acquisition of Johnson Controls’ Power Solutions (JCPS) business.
Noerr has a high-quality employment and pensions practice providing strong advisory and litigation services to its domestic and international clients. Senior associate and employment specialist Mircea-Catalin Roman oversees the day-to-day running of the practice with support from disputes partner Alexandru Ene. Recently the team was involved in several high profile employee dismissal procedures and litigations. On the non-contentious side it advised on several business transfers and closures in the industrial and telecoms sector.
Alexandru Ene; Mircea-Catalin Roman
‘Exceptional expertise, involvement and concern for the benefit of the client.’
Bristol Myers Squibb
Samsung Electronics Romania
Pringles International Operations (Kellogg Group)
Harman International Industries
Kik Textilien and Non-Food
- Ongoing advice to Grawe Romania Asigurare on internal compliance procedures, labour disputes and discrimination claims.
- Employment advice in relation to the integration of Walmark’s business into Stada, following the acquisition by STADA Arzneimittel AG.
- Advised a major industrial client on a collective dismissal procedure.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii features a versatile practice offering standalone advice as well as employment support on corporate and restructuring mandates. This ranges from day-to-day matters, through to related litigation, health and safety, tax and white-collar crime issues. Vlad Neacșu leads the well regarded team and has good experience in union negotiations, strike management, business transfers and collective dismissals. Specialist associate co-head, Ioana Cazacu, is also highly rated by clients.
Vlad Neacşu; Ioana Cazacu
‘This practice is unique due to its professionalism and promptness, which they have shown throughout the collaboration, compared to other companies. Adaptability also means being flexible to the working habits and personalities of our business.’
‘The team is very efficient and skilled. Ioana Cazacu is a very smart lawyer. She gives advice straight to the point, she is reliable and very helpful. Moreover, she is very transparent regarding the fees and the estimates she provides are both reasonable, and complied with.’
Albalact (Lactalis Group)
Auchan & Leroy Merlin
Ipsos Interactive Services
US Corporation Ferro
BRD Groupe Société Générale
- Advised MW Romania SA on various approaches to adjusting the size of its workforce following the economic downturn generated by the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
- Advised Akzo Nobel in connection with the complete compliance review of working times for mobile employees from both a Romanian law and EU law perspective.
- Advised Xella in connection with the streamlining of various top management functions within its local subsidiaries, as part of a larger group integration process following Xella’s acquisition of Macon Group.
Reff & Associates SCA has a comprehensive employment law offering. The team works closely with several major international and domestic companies, covering day-to-day needs, as well as more standalone employment issues. These can include transactional related business transfers and reorganisations, as well as collective negotiations and dismissals. As part of Deloitte, the firm also brings added support on related tax issues. Practice head Florentina Munteanu is highly-praised, and clients also praise managing associate Gabriela Ilie.
Other key lawyers:
‘Compared with other firms that are coming only with labor law knowledge, Reff’s team comes with a business minded approach and helps us to make better decisions.’
‘Very dedicated and determined team, showing compassion in crises and compared with other firms they are focused on creating guidelines that are easy to follow up.’
‘It is great that they have the capability to put together legal and tax perspectives and to offer an overview for each of the topics and also integrated advice. Having a single point of contact and and integrated advise is great.’
‘Very knowledgeable, not just quoting articles from the law and writing up documents in the classic “legal language” that puts off so many business executives, but really able to communicate business issues, risks, rewards, returns, etc. They are lawyers that think and behave like true business people.’
‘Florentina Munteanu and Gabriela Ilie are the lawyers we are working closely with in labour. They are always flexible and sensitive to our deadlines and try to find the best solution for us, even in crises situations, such as the pandemic period, that was new for everyone. They are hard workers, coming up with suggestions, and being one step ahead of other firms.’
Roquet Eastern Europe
Logicom Information Technology Distribution
Green Tree Marketing
- Advised a major fashion retailer in dealing with the employment law challenges throughout the COVID 19 pandemic, which affected over 4,000 employees.
- Assisted a major industrial manufacturer in dealing with discrimination allegations and successfully closing the matter.
- Assisted a major global financial institution in setting up the employment law processes and documentation related to its Romanian entity.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has built itself a strong position in the market, not just for the transactional employment advice it provides to the firm's market leading corporate team, but also for standalone and highly sensitive mandates. This has included strong support for major multinationals and domestic clients on a range of issues, including reorganisations, health and safety, collective and individual dismissals, and management incentive plans. Practice head Alina Stăvaru has made a good name for herself.
‘Good availability, professionalism, range of services, and knowledge.’
‘Alina Stavaru is a very dedicated, highly responsive and business focused partner providing useful legal advice.’
Distrigaz Sud Retele (Engie group)
British American Shared Services (part of British American Tobacco group)
Jump Trading International
Wyelands Capital, part of GFG Alliance (Liberty House Group)
- Advised British American Shared Services (part of the British American Tobacco group) on all employment matters, including the management of its COVID-19 related issues.
- Advised Wienerberger in relation to sensitive dismissals, collective bargaining agreements and relationship with the trade unions.
- Advised Innova Capital in relation to a management incentivisation plan in one of its portfolio companies in Romania.
STALFORT Legal. Tax. Audit. is an especially popular choice for German companies seeking employment advice for their Romanian operations. Much of the advice is provided in German, and this extends to the full spectrum of employment issues, including collective negotiations, redundancies, compliance issues, and litigation. The team is also strong in related benefits and pensions matters, particularly for postings of foreign employees. Managing partner Christian Weident comes highly recommended.
‘We appreciate the fast, business-oriented and pragmatic answers which always seek to find a solution, as opposed to explaining what is not possible. Besides, the departments of the law firm are well inter-connected, which makes its work interdisciplinary. We were particularly pleased about the fact that we can always reach our direct contact person within a short time.’
‘There are two specialties of this law firm, which distinguish it from the others. First difference is the German language skills, which are present at an extremely high level with almost all the staff. Furthermore the impression of a small law firm, which is there only for you, but actually is pretty big with a lot of competence. We clearly recommend to work with them, as we have extremely good experiences.’
‘Christian Weident is an experienced expert in employment matters with a strong corporate/ commercial background. As a managing partner, he is very well informed and adds interdisciplinary knowledge to the practice. In particular, we appreciate that he is a German lawyer and understands very well how problems are looked at and communication takes place in our German headquarters. This has brought good results and saved us time in several situations. Christian is always available, also personally.’
‘Cristiana Stalfort is a highly professional lawyer and also a great ‘main partner’ and boss in the firm.’
Kraftanlagen Group (Kraftanlagen München/ Kraftanlagen Romania)
GA Actuation Systems
Green Mining Holding
Swoboda (Swoboda Sibiu, Swoboda Timisoara, Retimum)
Doduco Contacts/ Doduco Holding
Frischeis Group (JAF International Services)
KiK Textilien & Non Food
The Commercial Counsellor of the Austrian Embassy
Beluform/ Plast Vision
- Assisted ara Shoes in closing production facilities in Romania, which required three consecutive collective redundancy procedures in two factories, laying off ca. 95% of more than 1,000 employees.
- Analysed all employment agreements and relevant documents of Hoffmann Group’s Romanian subsidiary, in order to assess possible problems and to draft a new bilingual unitary employment agreement for the Romanian entity.
- Advised and assisted Rohrer Group on a collective redundancy affecting a team of 110 employees, and the potential obstacles posed by the COVID- 19 legislation.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law attracts considerable praise from clients, who include major international companies, local players, and foreign law firms. The practice covers day-to-day employment issues, as well as more unique contentious and non-contentious matters. Name partner Andrei Albulescu heads the well-regarded team, in which managing associate Anca Ulea stands out as a key figure.
Other key lawyers:
‘Stratulat Albulescu is a young and dynamic legal team which is constantly increasing their experience by covering new niches on the legal market.’
‘The team is creative and customer-oriented with good technical knowledge and excellent communication skills.’
‘Andrei Albulescu heads the team and he is a highly skilled and experienced lawyer. He is very client-oriented and always there to help. Andrei always delivers very strong advice, being a practical lawyer with excellent knowledge in the Employment field. I would also like to emphasize that Andrei is a fantastic communicator and his involvement in the projects always brings the added-value expected from such an experienced professional. The ideal lawyer to work with when dealing with sophisticated and sensitive employment matters.’
‘Andrei Albulescu and Anca Ulea are always reachable, they understand our needs and provide tailor made advice for employment related matters.’
World Class Romania SA
Pionix Marketing Solutions
Niro Investment Group
Flame Romania S.R.L.
Willis Towers Watson Romania Broker de Asigurare-Reasigurare S.R.L.
Alpin Resort Hotel
Pitech Plus and Bogdan Herea
CODA Intelligence SRL
Hervis Sports & Fashion S.R.L
PJ Interactive Romania SRL
Farmasi Cosmetics RO SRL
ZOPPAS INDUSTRIES ROMANIA
Taylor Wessing on behalf of QPL Technologies
Neusoft Medical Europe GmbH
- Assistance to health club chain, World Class Romania S.A.,with a staff of over 1,000 people, including 400 employees and more than 650 contractors, on all employment issues.
- Assisting AstraZeneca’s Romanian subsidiary in connection with an employment dispute initiated by an employee claiming allegedly unpaid benefits.
- Advice to insurance broker Willis Towers Watson in Romania on the full range of employment issues, including regulatory compliance and the implementation of a teleworking regime during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Vernon | David has a high-quality employment practice, with an especially strong niche advising banking and financial services clients. Its service has three prongs, including transactional support, high-end contentious advice, and general commercial employment advice, including collective negotiations and the drafting of internal policies. The group also works closely with the firm's well regarded white-collar crime team on related compliance and internal disciplinary issues. Employment specialist Diana Neagu leads the team, which also includes the firm's co-founder and litigation head Daniela David. Associate Laura Irizea is also very well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Daniela David; Laura Irizea
‘The team always has a quick response and came up with multiple, customized ideas and solutions.’
‘Daniela David and Laura Irizea are two dedicated and involved lawyers, attentive to the problems we face. ’
‘One of the most important strengths of the team is related to the capacity to provide the best solutions adapted to our situation, to our internal context with professionalism, rigor and integrity. The team showed a great openness towards understanding our needs and expectations, which led only to positive results regarding the quality of the services provided. The team mission is to use the experience and the knowledge of legal theory and practice in order to provide the best solution according to the internal need of the company. Another strength of the team is related to discretion and promptness in providing the best and the right solutions. Vernon|David has constantly tried to understand the needs of our Company, to understand our organizational culture in order to provide the proper services and to meet all the time our internal requirements.’
‘Vernon David delivers good quality and timely legal advice. They have a good understanding of both the legal framework and the inner functioning of the public institutes and valid experiences that have helped them provide us accurate, timely and judicious advice. ’
‘They presented a prompt and clear practical guidance on all the matters that arose during our collaboration. ’
‘Daniela David has significant experience in complex employment disputes, including advising on senior management misconduct and termination cases. Diana Neagu has an extensive experience in finance and banking matters, serious and committed lawyer, and open minded, quick solution finder.’
‘We have collaborated with Vernon David for many years. They are excellent in the small things (internal rules and procedures) as well as with the big issues (complicated disciplinary investigations, accidents, State investigations, litigation). They have done a remarkable job for us and we are extremely happy with their services. We have found them to be the best employment law firm in Romania. I would highly recommend them.’
‘The team at Vernon David is magnificent. Our primary contact is Daniela David. She is an amazing and brilliant employment lawyer. Laura Irizea is also someone we work with. She is very smart and hard working.. ’
‘A wonderful labour/commercial law firm with years of experience in all areas of employment law. Knowledgeable, talented and hard working. We have used them on many cases and matters like litigation, collective bargaining, investigations, affirmative action policies and employee handbooks. They are solution oriented and creative lawyers who always work to support our business /company. I really enjoy working with them.’
‘Daniela David is a great lawyer and a top employment advisor. Maybe the best in Romania.’
‘Daniela David leads in outstanding team of lawyers. We have worked with her for over 15 years and she is simply the best. We have also worked with Laura Irizea who is an up and coming talent. Their combined litigation and consultancy skills create a team that is hard to beat. If you have an issue, you want them on your side. They are very, very good.’
Intesa SanPaolo Bank
Libra Internet Bank
Xannat Minerals (former Tarmac Romania, part of Anglo-American Group)
- Employment advice to Banca Transilvania following its acquisition of Bancpost, one of Romania’s largest banks with over 2,000 employees.
- Advising the management of Banca Romaneasca in the negotiations of a collective labour agreement with employee representatives while the bank was being taken over by the state.
- Assisting Spearhead with the implementation of the gender equality legislation and related modification of the internal regulation for the agribusiness company, including drafting the procedures and communication with the employees.
Wolf Theiss has a good track record advising on the full spectrum of employment-related legal issues. The team was especially active providing employment support on major cross-border transactions and reorganisations, and the firm's regional presence gives it an edge. COVID-19 related advice featured prominently and the firm also has good experience negotiating with unions and other employee bodies. Counsel Adelina Iftime-Blagean and senior associate Andreea Stan come highly recommended. Ileana Glodeanu leads the team.
Ileana Glodeanu; Adelina Iftime-Blagean
Other key lawyers:
‘It is always a pleasure to collaborate due to their professionalism and the high level of debates we have on various employment topics. They are very knowledgeable of the legal employment matters specific to various industries, therefore they are able to adapt their services to the client’s business context and respond to their specific needs.’
‘The team delivers quality results with lightning speed. In the employment team, Andreea Stan stands out with business oriented solutions, catered to our particular company and shows a deep understanding of the market.’
‘The team at Wolf Theiss is very professional and always resourceful. Their advice is appreciated in our company.’
‘Adelina Iftime-Blagean is a very responsive and knowledgeable lawyer. She guarantees a seamless cooperation and friendly communication, while always focusing on pragmatic and effective solutions for the client.’
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals SRL
International Automotive Components Group (IAC)
ADM (Archer-Daniels-Midland Company)
Land Power (Lukoil group)
Centrica Hive Limited
FM Insurance Company Limited
- Advising Oracle, a company with around 5,000 employees in Romania, in relation to all daily and extraordinary HR issues.
- Assisted GlaxoSmithKline on the Romanian employment aspects of its $9.8bn global joint venture with Pfizer.
- Assisted the private equity shareholders of Radisson Blu Hotel in Bucharest in relation to the merger of the entities involved in the operation of the hotel, including with respect to the post-merger integration and evaluation of options during the Covid-19 pandemic.
D&B David si Baias SCA has a solid team led by partner Dan Dascălu, who divides his time between tax and employment law. The practice also contains several specialised associates who come highly recommended by clients, including Ioana Cercel. The practice is especially strong on the employment aspects of complex restructuring projects and business transfers. More recently it has been active on the litigation front and advised clients on COVID-19 related issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional team, responsive and supportive. Pro active approach from their side, flexible and customer oriented.’
‘D&B David & Baias communicates very effectively with the client’s internal teams, even if they are not people from the legal department. D&B team members are talking in the same language, more precisely if they are working with teams outside from the legal area, for example the HR department, they can explain the request or they can give advice that can be understood by non-legal teams. Moreover, D&B deliver their works in due time to be reviewed / approved from the point of view of the client’s commercial policy and they maintain a professional working environment.’
‘Ioana Cercel – Managing Associate – I appreciate that Ioana is very pragmatic and also informs me about the estimation of the chances of losing the litigation, in case the case is not solid. Unlike other competitors, she gives us a clear and balanced picture of the strengths we have but also of the weaknesses in labor disputes. She is very organized, has well-structured works and respects the deadline.’
- Advised M7 Group on the applicability of the legislation relating to the safeguarding of employees’ rights in the event of business transfers.
The Dentons employment team is led by well-regarded litigation head Tiberiu Csaki, giving the practice a strong contentious edge. The practice also provides support on transactional and compliance issues to clients, many of which are multinational. The team, which includes experienced senior associate Argentina Rafail, also advises on collective bargaining agreements, internal company regulations, disciplinary procedures, and employee immigration issues.
Other key lawyers:
JLG Manufacturing Central Europe
- Advising JLG, an Oshkosh Corporation Company, both on day-to-day employment matters and highly sensitive mandates.
- Assisting one of Romania’s largest employers, Autoliv, on the full spectrum of employment issues.
- Advising the local arm of EPAM on various employment matters, including teleworking in the context of COVID-19 and its implications on the client’s business.
Laurentiu, Laurentiu & Asociatii is an extremely popular choice for employers based in Cluj-Napoca. The firm handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious employment issues, and has been integral to clients working through the COVID-19 pandemic. The firm is especially noted for its expertise advising tech start ups. Achim-Sorin Razoare leads the well regarded team. Clients also rate Alexandra Cohutiu.
Other key lawyers:
‘By far, their most outstanding feature is quality legal assistance based on solid legal knowledge and innovative solutions adapted to our needs.’
‘LL&A is a versatile legal firm that worked for us for more than a decade. They were able to provide high level advice and legal services in what regards employment, employees and labor contracts. Their strengths are the commitment, high vision on legal aspects, deep understanding of the client needs and finding of the best cost/benefit solutions.’
‘During the past year our company’s dialogue with employee representatives necessitated an additional level of expertise. LLA’s capacity to assess the context, analyse the options and guide us through the stormy waters was undeniable crucial. Their expertise in the employment domain in general is undeniable.’
‘Compared with the other lawyers I’ve met and worked with, the quality of service is unmistakably superior. LLA’s knowledge, the in-depth analyze and personalized solutions, adapted for each client, the level of security they provide, all are reasons that set them at a much higher level in comparison to all the other lawyers I have worked with. We wouldn’t recommend any other law firms/lawyers.’
‘Sorin Razoare has a structured mind, is reliable, capable of delivering the best quality, even in case of tight deadlines and complex situations, always showing great involvement and commitment.’
‘Alexandra Cohuțiu is capable of developing complex legal reasoning, responsible, always analyzing all the situations in depth, structured, firm, with a strong legal preparation, intuitive, all the qualities a good lawyer should have.’
Telenav Software SRL
Nemetos Consulting SRL
Tora Trading Services SRL
Italian Cable Company SpA
Cake Expert SRL
- Advised Telenav Software SRL on a significant restructuring of its organizational chart by reorganizing several of its departments in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advised Steelcase SRL in dealing with the implementation of some mandatory procedures regarding the organization of labour in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advised Telenav Software SRL regarding the revision of its telework procedures, particularly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Leroy si Asociatii's broad domestic and international clientbase can rely on the team to advise on the full swathe of employment issues. Recently the firm provided strong support on several strategic reorganisations, including related disputes in court. Clients include major consumer goods companies and manufacturers, many of which have strong links to France. Bruno Leroy leads the practice with support from employment expert and senior associate Madalina Ivan.
Other key lawyers:
ETI European Foods
- Assisting ETI European Food Industries with post reorganization and restructuring issues, including litigation linked to the reorganisation of top management positions (including representation in court).
- Assisted LVMH with respect to various employees matters, including amendments to internal regulations; drafting mutual termination agreements including protective clauses in favour of the company; the implementation of working shifts according the needs of the company; and the implementation of teleworking.
Placintescu Riti & Asociatii
Placintescu Riti & Asociatii is a well-regarded employment boutique offering a strong line in litigation and advisory support. Managing partner Ana-Maria Placintescu and Bogdan Riti both have strong reputations in this area. Ileana Lucian left to co-found Mihai, Lucian si Asociatii in 2020.
Ana-Maria Placintescu; Bogdan Riti
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA has built a strong standing in the market, particularly since the 2018 arrival of practice head Mara Moga-Paler, who has a loyal client base. The standalone team is a real asset for the firm's broader offering, and provides strong support on the full range of employment issues, including collective bargaining agreements, redundancy programmes, internal compliance procedures, and litigation. In the past year, the team proved an invaluable crutch to clients through the COVID-19 pandemic.
‘Versatile team, focused on meeting the clients needs and finding the best workable solution in any situation.’
‘The employment team at Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA stands out way above other firms in the local market in terms of quality of their legal advice. Labour law is a quickly shifting legislative area in Romania, calling for lawyers who take this specialisation to permanently learn and adapt their advice to ever changing rules. I appreciate Schoenherr team’s outstanding ability to stay on top these legal changes, even in challenging times, such as the recent pandemic-related employment law issues faced by companies. ‘
‘Mara Moga-Paler has a sharp eye for issues in matters with an international context: she knows how to navigate between Romanian law and the law applying to multinationals.’
‘Mara Moga-Paler is brilliant, the right person for the job if you are facing any type of employment termination project, or want to put your house in order on employment aspects. She is a very good option for in house counsels who need a day-to-day employment advisor and can save a lot of time and costs by telling you how to avoid employment litigation.’
- Assisting a multinational staffing and recruitment agency on general employment matters, including: licensing matters regarding temporary agents in Romania, a series of employment litigation cases, as well as during immigration authorities’ investigations and incidental litigation.
- Assisting a major manufacturer of components for the automotive industry on a complex redundancy programme.
- Successfully assisted a major international financial services group on the dismissal of a long-term top-level executive and board member.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA offers a broad employment practice, with a strong handle on employee dismissals, litigation, social security contributions and related immigration matters. The team also offers good transactional support and has been actively helping domestic and international clients navigate the COVID-19 pandemic. Marta Popa and Raluca Mihai jointly lead the team.
Marta Popa; Raluca Mihai
‘Deep legal analysis, dedicated, focus on obtaining good results, good understanding of the business impact of the matters analyzed and appropriate adaptation of the legal opinion to respond to business needs and minimize any negative impact.’
General Electric Medical Systems Romania
Profi Rom Food
Nabors Drilling International
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners' well regarded team was kept busy throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, guiding clients through the many employment issues they faced during the crisis. This included the implementation of teleworking and redundancy programs. When it comes to contentious issues, clients certainly benefit from the firm's top-notch litigation practice. Catalin Micu has a good reputation in this area.
‘Catalin Micu shares experience and best practice of similar cases. Brainstorming with the customer’s case in order to find the best solutions to new challenges.’
Pirelli Tyres Romania S.R.L.
WNS Global Services (Romania) S.R.L.
Philip Morris România S.R.L.
KIKA MOBILIER S.R.L. (Member of XXX Lutz, Austria)
Uniqa Asigurari S.A.
Menzies Aviation (Romania) S.A.
AWP P&C Saint-Quen, Bucharest Branch (Member of Allianz Group)
CRH Ciment Romania S.A.
Capgemini Services Romania S.R.L.
Puls Trading Far East (Member of H&M Group)
Phi Partners Romania
Asirom Vienna Insurance Group S.A.
A group of 3 companies owned by the same shareholders L.M.S. Plastic Surgery Clinique S.R.L. Clinica Doctor Zamfirescu S.R.L. Clinica de Chirurgie Reconstructiva S.R.L.
Maurer Imobiliare Group
Dolphin Invest SA
Aurachain Solutions S.R.L.
Bravo Europa S.R.L.
Banca Comerciala Feroviara S.A.
- Advised Philip Morris Romania SRL on the negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement adopted at the company level and valid for the next two years. Also advised on all employment and labour issues linked to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Advised Menzies Aviation Romania SA on the implementation of technical unemployment during the Covid-19 state of emergency instituted in Romania, for a large number of employees.
- Advising Capgemini Services Romania SRL on day-to-day labour law issues, and also legal support related to the pandemic, such as the implementation of teleworking and working from home for employees.