Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a first-class corporate practice that provides clients with comprehensive transactional and day-to-day advisory support. The firm has recently been involved in several banner M&A deals for corporate clients such as Vodafone, as well as top investment funds. The team has a strong presence in the telecoms and IT sectors, and is also highly experienced in corporate real estate, energy, manufacturing and life sciences. Clients are quick to praise lead partners such as Cătălin Băiculescu, Gabriel Zbarcea, Sorin Vladescu, and Stefan Damian. Other key names include Cristian Radu, Cornel Popa and Florentin Tuca.
Firms in the Spotlight Commercial, corporate and M&A
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Romania
Stefan Damian; Florentin Tuca; Gabriel Zbarcea; Catalin Baiculescu; Cornel Popa
Other key lawyers:
Florentin Tuca; Sorin Vladescu
‘Extremely focused on providing the best possible level of client service. Promptness and accuracy in delivering legal assistance services are amongst their strengths. It is not only about the quality of their work or the fact that they are accessible or responsive but also their team spirit and the personal attention that our company receives from each and every one of them. They have a good team from the top down.’
‘Catalin Baiculescu is a smart lawyer, extremely attentive to details, always hands-on on issues, deploying a reassuring can-do attitude and a rare human touch approach. He gives timely and consistent advice. When acting on a deal, he easily identifies sensitive issues or possible critical outcomes and immediately comes up with solutions.’
‘This firm is most certainly the go-to law firm for commercial, corporate or M&A work, for their expertise in this field is spectacular. The team is also very good at contract drafting and negotiation, corporate restructurings, joint ventures, selling / acquiring assets etc. They are very strong at dealing with multiple assignments at the same time and properly ensuring time management and project management for complex takeover deals. ‘
‘Gabriel Zbarcea: excellent negotiator, highly respected, outstanding client management skills.’
‘Sorin Vladescu: strong project management skills, extensive commercial, corporate and M&A expertise, solid knowledge and understanding of our line of work and particularly sensitive to our business and commercial interests.’
‘Irina Moinescu: very good corporate lawyer, also very effective.’
‘Amalia Dumitru (Managing Associate) – straight forward approach, always there when needed, very good understanding of the topics, good logic behind the advises. The things became much simple and clear with her support.’
Erste Bank Group / Banca Comerciala Romana (BCR)
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investment Management
Al Dahra Agriculture LLC
The Rohatyn Group
Amethyst Group, one of the largest operators of radiotherapy clinics in Europe
Peeraj Brands International
ATTP Telecommunications S.R.L., part of Clever Media Network Group
Global Technical Group
Marchand, one of the leaders in the region for natural case
Holde Agri Invest S.A.
- Legal assistance to Vodafone Romania in relation to the acquisition of UPC Romania, as part of its €18.4bn global acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in several European countries, including Romania.
- Advising Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investment Management (MSREI), in connection with the fund’s first investment in Romania – the acquisition of America House Office Building from the French real estate investment fund AEW.
- Advising ATTP Telecommunications, part of Clever Media Network Group, in relation to a €77m acquisition of Digital Cable Systems and AKTA Telecom, the largest independent players in the Cable TV and internet distribution market.
CMS has a top-notch reputation for corporate and M&A support. The firm's impressive CEE footprint ensures that it is well placed to handle the many regional cross-border transactions that dominate the Romanian market. This includes advice to corporates and private equity funds on mergers, buyouts, joint ventures and day-to-day matters across a wide range of sectors. The office's geographical importance was reflected by Horea Popescu's recent appointment as head of Corporate and M&A for the entire CEE region. He is backed by a high calibre team, including partner Rodica Manea and senior associate Mircea Moraru.
Other key lawyers:
Rodica Manea; Mircea Moraru
‘A very trustful team (among the most discreet on the street) who take their delivery very seriously. Horea Popescu is serious, committed, trustful.’
AFI Europe N.V.
CEE Equity Partners
Liberty Global (and its Romanian subsidiary – UPC)
Zentiva Group, a.s.
Alpha Bank Group
- Advised global private equity firm Advent International and its portfolio company Zentiva on the Romanian aspects of its acquisition of the CEE business of global generic and over-the-counter (OTC) pharmaceuticals manufacturer Alvogen.
- Advised CEE Equity Partners on the acquisition of majority participation in Pasteur Filiala Filipesti SRL (the leading Romanian animal drugs and vaccines producer) and in Farmavet SA (the leading Romanian distributor and retailer of veterinary products).
- Advised Innova Capital on two market transforming eyewear transactions in Romania: the acquisition of Optical Network, a leading retail and distributor on the Romanian optical market, and add-on acquisition of Optiplaza, the number two player in the Romanian optical retail market.
Filip & Company is undoubtedly one of the Romanian market's first destinations for high-end corporate and transactional advice. The firm boasts a high quality team that is led by the extremely well regarded Alexandru Birsan, and includes other key players such as Cristina Filip, Alina Stancu Birsan, Ioan Dumitrascu, and Eliza Baias. Clients also rate finance partner Alexandra Manciulea and associate Monica Statescu. The team offers the full range of expertise, from cross-border M&As, divestitures, joint ventures and buyouts, through to business launches and more day-to-day matters. Clients include major banks, multinationals, domestic companies and private equity funds.
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Filip; Alexandru Bîrsan; Alina Stancu Bîrsan; Ioan Dumitrașcu; Eliza Baias; Alexandra Manciulea; Monica Statescu
‘Targeted legal advice with great business understanding.’
‘What I most admire about Filip & Company, besides the high quality of legal services delivered, is the openness and availability to discuss with their clients.’
‘Very experienced and competitive team. Very close understanding of the client needs and very efficient team work. Very comprehensive reporting.’
‘Strong legal background, attention to detail, high quality assurance with multi-layer controls, timely delivery of projects, professional explanations of risks involved and solution driven team.’
‘Alexandra Manciulea – good communicator both internally and externally, hard working, passionate, striving for excellence, flexible and friendly approach to fee structuring.’
‘Monica Statescu – I can rely on her to deliver high quality materials and outstanding professional conduct.’
Banca Transilvania S.A.
Banca Comerciala Romana S.A.
Bucharest Stock Exchange
Digi Communications N.V.
Kameran Financial Limited (Vladimir Cohn)
Arcelor Mittal S.A.
Continental Automotive GmbH
Van Leeuwen Buizen Groep B.V.
National Bank of Greece S.A.
Centrul Medical Unirea S.R.L.
British American Tobacco (Romania) Trading S.R.L.
Synevo Central Lab Clinical Trials Romania S.R.L.
Auchan Romania S.A.
Societatea Energetica Electrica S.A.
Duet Private Equity Limited
Pink Ivory Limited
The Forge Crossfit and The Forge Spirits Association
Prologis European Developments B.V.
Farmavet S.A. and Pasteur Filiala Filipesti S.A.
SoftwareOne Holding AG
Delfingen Industry S.A.
- Assisting Alexander Bărbuț, Thomas Bărbuț and Marcel Bărbuț in the process of selling the shares held within Adeplast S.A., one of the biggest Romanian construction materials producers, to the Swiss group Sika AG.
- Assisting National Bank of Greece S.A. in connection with the sale of its participation in the share capital of Banca Romanească S.A to Eximbank, a state owned bank in Romania.
- Advised Arcelor Mittal S.A., a multinational steel manufacturing corporation on the sale of shares in several Romanian companies.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has consistent form as one of the top commercial law firms in Romania. This is reflected in the firm's client base and the corporate transactional work it is regularly instructed on. The firm's heavyweight team of partners has the capability to handle multiple transactions at one time. Among them, Gabriela Cacerea, Ruxandra Bologa, Adina Chilim-Dumitriu, and Adriana Gaspar have all established excellent reputations for their expertise advising corporate and private equity clients. Other well regarded partners include Corina Dumitru and Razvan Vlad. Managing associate Mirela Preda also has an active practice.
Gabriela Cacerea; Ruxandra Maria Bologa; Adina Chilim-Dumitriu; Adriana Gaspar
Other key lawyers:
Corina Dumitru; Razvan Vlad; Mirela Preda
‘All questions were answered very quickly, in a simple and understandable way. This makes my experience with NNDKP unique and valued. I was able to feel their strong presence and support, and I believe we have established a good collegial relationship. I learned a lot about local law and also about factual practices, which was very helpful to orientate and make the right choices.’
Joyson Safety Systems (Ningbo Joyson)
Uriach Consumer Healthcare
- Assisted Grab with all Romanian law aspects relevant for its strategic partnership with Telenav, Inc., a leading provider of connected-car and location-based services.
- Assisted Day Group, an international property development and investment platform, engaged in designing, construction and lease / sale of commercial and residential properties, in the sale of its local SPV in Romania through which it developed Day Tower.
- Assisted Givesco, a major Danish family-owned company operating in the baking industry, on the acquisition of a controlling stake in 11 Romanian companies that were part of Sam Mills Group.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii has one of the top transactional practices in the market and is regularly favoured by major private equity funds, foreign investors and corporates. Recently the firm was involved in several high value corporate real estate transactions, a well as significant deals in the building materials, fund management, and chemicals' sectors. The firm's partners are often involved on the country's largest deals, and Florian Niţu, Bogdan Stoica and Silviu Stoica have all established extremely good reputations. Irina Ivanciu has also developed a good name, and has strong links to the French market.
Florian Nițu; Bogdan Stoica; Silviu Stoica
‘PNSA has a vast and thorough knowledge of transaction advisory in Romania, given by the large number of deals they have worked on in the past 15 years. Moreover, they combine the technical knowledge with a very pragmatic and result oriented approach during negotiation, being a very valuable member of the negotiation team throughout the entire process.’
‘Bogdan Stoica and Dragos Iamandi were very diligent, and provided lots of insights and explanations to us in order to make sure that the transaction goes smooth and without unnecessary complications and hurdles. Several times they took initiative to clarify with the counterpart lawyers conditions and clauses that were not acceptable by us and proposed solutions and restructured and reworked documents proposed by the other party until we reached mutual agreement. Their flexibility in giving extra time and personal involvement helped getting the deal closed in time.’
BRD Société Générale
Fondul Proprietatea/Franklin Templeton Investment Management
US Ferro Corporation
Continental Automotive GmbH
- Advised Dedeman on the €120 million acquisition of The Office.
- Advised Oresa on the sale of RTC Proffice to Altex.
- Advised Hexagon group on the sale of its real estate portfolio in Cluj-Napoca.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has established a superb reputation for high-end corporate M&A and private equity deals. Complex cross-border transactions feature significantly in the firm's workload, and its now-looser relationship with Allen & Overy LLP has guaranteed plenty of mandates over the years. The firm represents a broad mix of leading domestic and international companies and investors, both on the sale and buy side. Practice heads Costin Tărăcilă and Mihai Ristici are well-regarded in the market, while Alina Stăvaru is also singled out for praise. Counsel Ianita Tui is also highly experienced.
Costin Taracila; Mihai Ristici
Other key lawyers:
Alina Stavaru; Ianita Tui
‘The firm is very experienced in M&A and you can see that on how they tackle in negotiations difficult clauses. Always focused on finding solutions, no ego involved. Innovation brought in structuring the deals in order to bridge the gap in expectations. Also I like their approach to building high level term sheets and their cost structure and value for money.’
‘Alina Stavaru Preoteasa is an outstanding partner – I highly recommend her. She is approachable, very experienced, assertive without leaving marks, and very responsive.’
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA)
Mid Europa Partners
Wyelands Capital, part of GFG Alliance (Liberty House Group)
AROBS Transilvania Software
Centrele de Excelenta Ares
- Advised the founders of SanoVita (Cornel Soare, Dumitru Dan, Ion Dan) in their sale of the SanoVita business to the American private equity fund Highlander Partners.
- Advised A&S International and a private client on the sale of Farmavet S.A., Pasteur Filiala Filipesti S.R.L. and the fodder business of Agrozootehnica Pietroiu S.A. to Gardenica Limited, owned by CEE China II Fund (managed by CEE Equity Partners).
- Advised Wyelands Capital, part of GFG Alliance (Liberty House Group), in the acquisition of the Romanian bank BRCI.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA has one of the most active M&A teams in the market offering strong expertise across various sectors, including pharmaceuticals and healthcare, consumer goods, manufacturing and financial services. Between them, partners Markus Piuk, Madalina Neagu and Monica Cojocaru, have built up close relationships among corporate and private equity clients. The firm's regional network, particularly in Austria and Germany, is difficult to rival. Narcisa Oprea is noted for her overlapping capital markets expertise, while Matei Florea is singled out for related banking issues.
Markus Piuk; Monica Cojocaru; Mădălina Neagu
Other key lawyers:
Narcisa Oprea; Matei Florea
‘Very experienced practice and assertive approach to negotiations. Innovative solutions to classical M&A negotiation issues that brought the bacon home. Very impressed with Madalina Neagu and Cristina Enaga for their approach to negotiations and efficiency of their work process.’
‘This team is extremely skilled and effective. They understand very well the key items of the deal and help in focusing the efforts to resolve them. Proactive, supportive, problem solvers. The type of legal support you definitely need in an M&A transaction.’
‘Monica Cojocaru was responsive, accessible, proactive. Partnering with the client to find solutions and overcome roadblocks in the transaction. Very skilled and pragmatic.’
‘Schoenherr covers the full range of commercial legal services with an active presence in all CEE countries. The local knowledge from all countries make them a perfect match when seeking for legal advice in very complex situations, being able to propose tailor made teams from a domicile and area of expertise standpoint. We value from Schoenherr the quality of the newsletters and academic publications shared with us, which offer valuable opinions on the hot topics of the business markets.’
‘Madalina Neagu is the partner in M&A. Deep knowledge of the M&A market but also experience in all legal matters related. Flexible enough to deal with all topics, even below her expertise for a holistic approach.’
Globe Trade Center (GTC)
Intermedio General Group
Morphosis Capital Fund I
OMV Petrom Group
- Advised Globe Trade Centre SA (GTC) and Lone Star on the cross-border sale to Optimum Ventures Private Equity Fund of Lone Star’s participation in GTC – the owner of a portfolio of commercial real estate in Bulgaria, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine.
- Advised TeraPlast SA (the largest Romanian manufacturer of construction materials) on the sale of its still division to Kingspan Group plc – a transaction worth approximately €85m.
- Advised Aareon AG (a leading provider of systems and consulting services for the European property industry) on the Austrian and Romanian legal aspects of its cross-border takeover of the German, Austrian and Romanian subsidiaries of the software developer CalCon.
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA is popular with clients and can often be found advising on high profile domestic and cross-border transactions. Recently the firm has been involved in several significant deals in the energy, waste management, banking, chemicals and healthcare sectors. The firm has a strong following in the private equity market and has advised on several distressed asset investments. Practice head Lucian Bondoc is a lead player in the market, and partners such as Mihaela Bondoc, Bogdan Bunrau, Monica Iancu and Cosmin Stavaru are all singled out for praise by clients.
Other key lawyers:
Mihaela Bondoc; Bogdan Bunrau; Monica Iancu; Cosmin Stavaru
‘Deep legal analysis, dedicated, focus on obtaining good results, good understanding of the business impact of the matters analyzed and appropriate adaptation of the legal opinion to respond to business needs and minimize any negative impact.’
‘They are one of the very few law firms in the market that can really assist professionally on complex projects and that is very good in all complementary areas of law. Very solid experience. Business oriented. Hard working. Holistic approach. Understand very well e-commerce. ‘
‘The corporate practice is diverse and versatile and one of the strongest in the market. They offer an unmatched value for money and are very knowledgeable in every aspect that is relevant in the corporate life, especially regulatory and all sort of commercial issues.’
‘Cosmin Stavaru is very responsive and gives very helpful advice, with a particular care for details. He is looking to an issue from all possible angles and proposes pragmatic, tailored solutions for each situation.’
‘Mihaela Bondoc is a knowledgeable lawyer, always on-time with deliverables, and has a very good understanding of the business environment.’
‘Lucian Bondoc (excellent – I believe the best in the market) and Bogdan Bunrau (very professional and prompt).’
‘Monica Iancu, finds the best legal solutions and is willing to accommodate our needs.’
Astra Rails (largest wagons producer in the country)
Dante International (eMAG) (largest online retailer in Romania and CEE)
Delphi Corporation and its Romanian subsidiaries
Domeniile Prince Matei
ENGIE Romania SA
Fondul Proprietatea (the largest holding in Romania)
Fresenius (largest dialysis company in the country)
Johnson Controls INC.
Johnson & Johnson
Leading Edge Materials Corp.
Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD)
Mid Europa (one of the largest PE funds active in CEE)
Nod Network Romania SRL
OLTCHIM SA (largest chemical company in Romania)
Oney Bank / Oney Finances
Procter & Gamble
Pronetis Romania SRL
Raiffeisen Bank SA
Sanofi Group (including also Zentiva)
Sarica Niculitel Group
- Assistance PPF GROUP in connection with the proposed acquisition of a global media group, including its Romanian subsidiary, a nationwide leading television trust.
- Advising Vita CEE and Waltz Management in connection with the proposed sale of a European group of companies working in the food supplements industry, including the Romanian subsidiary.
- Advised Dante International on its investment in EuCeMananc, a local online food intermediary platform, which was rebranded Tazz after closing.
Clifford Chance Badea has an extremely good reputation, particularly for high-end corporate M&A and private equity buyouts, advising both buyers and sellers. The firm's broader international reputation ensures a steady flow of impressive cross-border mandates, and the firm has recently been very active in the telecoms, energy, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, and medical services sectors. Practice head Nadia Badea enjoys a strong market reputation, as do the team's experienced counsel Loredana Ralea and Mihai Macelaru.
Other key lawyers:
Loredana Ralea; Mihai Măcelaru
Abris Capital Partners
J.C. Flowers & Co.
Travel Brands (DerTour Romania)
- Advised Kingspan on the acquisition of the steel division of TeraPlast Group, the largest Romanian privately-held construction materials manufacturer.
- Advised Abris Capital Partners on the acquisition of a majority stake in Global Technical Group, the leading technology and security integrator in Romania.
- Advised AEW on the sale of America House, a landmark office centre in Bucharest, to the real estate division of Morgan Stanley and on the sale of Promenada Mall Târgu Mureș retail asset to Hungarian investment fund Indotek.
Dentons has a strong multi-sectoral approach and clients benefit from the firm's impressive international network, both in CEE and beyond. Managing partner Perry Zizzi leads the team, which represents a mix of domestic and international corporate clients, as well as leading investment funds. Domestic advice on major cross-border deals features high on the agenda, as does ongoing support on day-to-day matters. Key individuals include Cristina Daianu, Bogdan Papandopol (who is strong on corporate real estate deals), and the recently arrived Loredana Chitu. Among the associates, clients single out Argentina Rafail.
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Daianu; Bogdan Papandopol; Loredana Chitu; Argentina Rafail
‘Great team that go beyond the call of duty. Bogdan Papandopol has worked tirelessly questioning detail that others normally do not question which is much appreciated.’
‘Legal advice with business driven practical approach combined with legal skills on highest level. Cristina Daianu combines her exceptional legal skills with a strong practical approach.’
‘Great team, working hand-in-hand across all divisions, profound experts in all fields. Argentina Rafail has a business minded approach combined with a creative mind and profound legal expertise, super responsive, and great to work with.’
‘Dentons stands out as having a number of very experienced, long-standing lawyers who are used to working for and with clients from further West and can work to the standards expected by those clients. Very deep and broad knowledge of the sector and the issues. Lots of experience over a long period of time.’
CEE Equity Partners
White Star real Estate
- Represented GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, on the acquisition of the Maximus logistics’ real estate portfolio from Apollo Global Management, a US-based private equity firm.
- Advised KPS on the acquisition of Lufkin rod lift solutions business from Baker Hughes.
- Advised the largest hotel group in Central and Eastern Europe on cross-border restructuring and the sale of its service business.
Kinstellar is extremely popular with domestic and international clients, who include major multinationals, private equity houses and referral law firms. The firm has an active transactional practice, and was involved in several buy and sell side mandates across a range of industries. Clients also appreciate the firm's broader commercial offering, including corporate governance issues, as well as its impressive regional office network. Practice head Razvan Popa comes highly recommended, as does Hungarian-speaking Zsuzsa Csiki, who has made a very good name for herself.
Other key lawyers:
‘Hands-on, available, laser focused on getting the job done. Second to none at partner level. I see them engaging well balanced teams in terms of industry specialization which I find very useful. Razvan Popa is a good legal mind, able to tackle complex issues in a simple and meaningful manner. I like his negotiation skills and confidence.’
‘Great communication and strong team management through partner, Zsuzsa Csiki. Dealing with complex deals and implementing corporate governance structures. Zsuzsa Csiki’s availability, energy and dedication are seamless. She is projecting the relevant confidence that she can handle any aspect of a complex matter.’
‘This is a highly experienced team of Corporate and M&A lawyers that offer high-quality and comprehensive legal advice both on commercial issues as well as on transactional aspects. Partner Razvan Popa has demonstrated the ability to make the deal go forward even at difficult times. He is involved, hands-on, with strong negotiation skills.’
‘They mobilise quickly, the quality of their advice is high and they are very committed. All round, a first rate service and thoroughly nice people to work with too. They are my go to firm in the region.’
‘Kinstellar is a leading law firm in the region with a reputation for excellent quality of services. Adding to the fact that they met our high standards in terms of legal advice, we also appreciated the firm’s ability to deliver practical, efficient and swift answers in terms of all contractual and administrative matters. Our collaboration with Kinstellar has been smooth and transparent all along, with strong focus on our objectives, specific timeframe and needs.’
Amec Foster Wheeler
- Advised Highlander Partners, a US private investment, on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Romanian food company, Sano Vita.
- Advised Bain & Cinven-backed STADA Arzneimittel on the acquisition of Walmark, a Central European manufacturer of consumer health products, from Mid Europa Partners.
- Advised UK steelmaker Liberty Steel on the Romanian and Czech law aspects of its €740m acquisition of ArcelorMittal’s European assets.
Musat & Asociatii has long been a leading mainstay of Romania's commercial legal market, and the size of the five partner team, ensures a capacity to handle major domestic and cross-border transactions. The reputation of its lawyers, including Gheorghe Muşat, Răzvan Stoicescu, Iulian Popescu, Monia Dobrescu, and Paul Buta, attracts an impressive range of blue-chip international companies and market leading private equity funds. The team's expertise spans several sectors, and clients benefit from the firm's expansive multidisciplinary offering.
Other key lawyers:
Răzvan Stoicescu; Iulian Popescu; Monia Dobrescu; Paul Buta
Schmitz Cargobull AG
Damen Shipyards Group
ENGIE Romania S.A.
Wellbore Integrity Solutions / Rhône Capital
Spectrum Brands Unit
Brookfield Business Partners L.P.
Interoute Communications Ltd
- Advised Sony in connection with the transfer of its Romanian branch to Sony Europe B.V., following the cross-border merger of Sony Europe Limited with and into Sony Europe B.V.
- Advising Spectrum Brands Unit in connection with the $2bn sale of its global battery and portable lightning business to Energizer Holding Inc., one of the world’s largest manufacturers of primary batteries and portable lighting products.
- Advised Damen Shipyards Group on the acquisition from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering of one of the biggest shipyards in Romania with over 2,000 employees and a turnover of over €500m.
Reff & Associates SCA offers a high quality and versatile corporate team. Clients appreciate the benefits that come from it being under the Deloitte umbrella, and the firm's standalone corporate capabilities are more than a match for other law firms, particularly on transactional matters. The versatile lawyers offer strong expertise across a range of sectors, including energy, infrastructure, healthcare, manufacturing, transport and retail. Alexandru Reff and Georgiana Singurel are highly experienced senior practitioners, while managing associate Diana Fejer also has an active corporate practice.
Georgiana Singurel; Alexandru Reff
Other key lawyers:
‘As Reff is part of Deloitte Group, we are very happy to get a combination of legal knowledge and commercially minded approach. The team is very talented, dedicated and focused to provide us the best solution in our specific needs.’
Vestas Wind Systems
Trans Expedition Feroviar S.R.L., part of Grampet Group
Sabon Holdings SRL
Spital Lotus SRL
Leroy Merlin Romania S.R.L.
Damen Group (Netherlands)
- Assisted the Danish group Vestas Wind Systems on the €140m transfer of an 80% stake in its seven Romanian renewable power plant SPVs to the subsidiary of Ingka Group’s investment division in Romania, IRI Investments (Ikea Group).
- Assisted Orbico Group in relation to the client’s acquisition of a majority stake in Interbrands’ entities in Romania, the largest distributor of FMCG goods in Romania.
- Advised Trans Expedition Feroviar S.R.L. in relation to the divestment of a part of its railways related activity, including thirteen lines, to Romania’s largest oil company, OMV Petrom.
Wolf Theiss has established itself as one of the market's most active domestic and regional corporate practices. The firm helped close over 25 M&A deals in 2019, and was also involved in several significant joint ventures, commercial projects and tenders. The team's lawyers have a good understanding of Romania's key industries, including TMT, agribusiness, pharmaceuticals and financial services. Practice head Ileana Glodeanu has a strong standing with clients, as do more junior lawyers, such as counsel Mircea Ciocîrlea and senior associates Luciana Tache and George Ghitu. Bryan Jardine, the firm's managing partner who is admitted both in Romania and California, is another name of note.
Other key lawyers:
Bryan Jardine; Mircea Ciocîrlea; Luciana Tache; George Ghitu
‘The team is very motivated to address its client’s needs in a most appropriate and efficient manner. They are always running the extra mile for the client and are very commercially and deal oriented which greatly facilitates the transaction and closing process. They are very responsive and well prepared to quickly address complex matters.’
‘What makes this practice unique is the professionalism and quality of the work of the lawyers. Humanity, compassion, solution driven, accessibility, knowledge. I have worked with Ileana Glodeanu and her team for many times and she is definitely on top of my list of lawyers to work with on a transaction.’
‘Friendly, approachable and committed team. A diverse team with strong female leadership.’
‘George Ghitu has been absolutely first rate.’
‘Luciana Tache is an excellent and thorough lawyer, always ready to go the extra mile.’
Also Holding AG
Agrium Europe SA (Nutrien group)
The Blackstone Group International Partners LLP
Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.
House of HR N.V.
Ingka Investments BV (Ikea group)
Ice Lake Capital Management B.V.
Johnson Controls International
Merck & Co., Inc.
Revetas Capital Advisors LLP
- Advised The Blackstone Group International Partners LLP in the €175m acquisition of a minority shares stake in the betting company, Superbet.
- Assisted the shareholders of Adeplast S.A., a major Romanian manufacturer of mortars and thermal insulation solutions, on its takeover by the Swiss publicly listed SIKA Group.
- Assisted Ingka Investments (a member of Ikea group) on the staggered takeover of seven portfolio companies (SPVs) in Romania, holding 171MW in nine wind farms, with a total enterprise value of €171m.
D&B David si Baias SCA offers an all-embracing corporate practice that is as comfortable on the transactional side as it is on day-to-day matters. The one-stop-shop nature of its offering is cemented by its membership of the PwC network, and clients appreciate having the ability to access the full range of services. Highly rated partner Anda Rojanschi leads the team alongside managing partner Sorin David. Clients include major multinationals, entrepreneurs and investors, and the firm is especially active in the healthcare sector.
Anda Rojanschi; Sorin David
‘A highly dedicated team with many years of M&A experience proven by several completed deals. The legal team benefits from the association with PwC (easy to assemble cross-disciplinary teams with financial, tax, corporate finance experts).’
‘Anda Rojanschi is a seasoned lawyer with strong M&A experience gained in several successfully closed transactions. She has the ability to smoothly convey her knowledge to the client achieving effective results in time-pressured situations.’
Toros Agroport Romania S.A.
AC Marca (Romania)
Lufkin/Baker Hughes (GE group)
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
Castrol Lubricants, Air BP Romania (BP Groups)
TTI Inc (Berkshire group)
World Courier Romania
TE Connectivity Sensor Solutions
ESAB Romania Trading
Fan Courier Express SRL
- Advised Toros Tarim (part of the Tekfen group) in connection with the acquisition of Agrium Agroport Romania SA.
- Advised the shareholders of Fan Courier Express SRL in performing a majority investment in the share capital of a Romanian logistics and transportation company, SLS Cargo SRL. The deal was structured as a joint venture.
- Assisted the shareholders of Materna Care SRL (operating Premiere Hospital, the largest private hospital in the Western part of Romania) in selling their shares to one of the two leading Romanian private healthcare networks, Regina Maria.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has an active corporate team with a standout reputation in the venture capital and start-up tech space. Close links to the broader European and US market gives it a strong edge, particularly when dealing with international investors. The team, which is led by the highly rated Marian Dinu, is also noted for its expertise in private equity, and the energy, healthcare and agribusiness sectors. Partner Cristina Bucur and counsel Oana Dutu-Buzura and Paula Corban-Pelin are also well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Cristina Bucur; Oana Dutu-Buzura; Paula Corban-Pelin
‘They showed initiative, and a collegial and team-based way of working. They covered successfully, both during the due diligence process but also when preparing and delivering the notification in front of the competition authorities, wide areas areas of company law, such as employment, pensions, tax, financial services regulation and corporate governance.’
‘Strong understanding of venture capital legal and commercial matters. One of the few Romanian law firm with expertise in this field (nicely backed-up by their US VC practice). Marian Dinu is a strong negotiator, ready to fight for the client to achieve its goals; a very good understanding of commercial angles allows him to be very effective.’
‘The team always understood when we had a tight deadline, and made all efforts to deliver on time. Even if we talked about evenings or weekends. Plus, the level of understanding about our solution, which even for some tech or real-estate persons might seem difficult to understand, was always the best. I never had the feeling that I needed to make efforts to work with them, it was always organic and natural as if they are our legal department. Ana Maria Andronic makes us feel like we are already a big company, even if we are an early stage startup. She treats us and our needs with priority and care. She understands very fast every tech or business specific detail and she even enhances our ideas with her experience.’
‘Marian Dinu and Oana Dutu-Buzura – their level of attention and engagement was above expectations. We felt like the legal team gave 110% for the deal to happen.’
Hydro Extruded Solutions AB
Abris CEE Mid-Market Fund III LP
Dante International (eMAG)
Early Game Partners BV
RoboSelf Technology SRL
Intelligent IT SRL
ADAMA Agan Ltd
Bright Spaces SRL
Bank Leumi Israel
TMF Management SRL
Top Level Hosting SRL
Hillarys Blinds Holdings Limited
- Advised ABRIS CEE Mid-Market Fund III LP, a major private equity fund in Central Europe, on the acquisition of Dentotal Protect, a leader on the Romanian dental equipment distribution market.
- Advised Early Game Ventures, a venture capital fund managed by Early Game Partners, in connection with multiple investments in Romanian tech start-ups (Symphopay, Watto Stations, BookVitals, Bunnyshell, Coda Intelligence and others).
- Advised Hillarys, a UK-based blinds and shutters retailer, in acquiring TLC Shutters, a production facility in Romania – a deal that closed during the lockdown measures imposed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Noerr is noted for its strong practice advising strategic corporate investors, private equity and venture capital funds, and domestic clients. The firm's regional presence gives it a strong edge in the market, as do its ties to the German market. Clients are active in a range of industries, including automotive, engineering, manufacturing, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, and TMT. Rusandra Sandu leads the well regarded team, which also includes office head Jörg Menzer and associated partner Gabriel Popa.
Other key lawyers:
Jörg Menzer; Gabriel Popa
Bauer Media Group
Nidec Sole Motor Corporation
Harman International Industries
Skyview Capital LLC
- Advised Kathrein on the sale of its mobile networks antenna business to the listed group Ericsson.
- Advised Bauer Media Group on sale of Romanian publishing business to Ringier.
Radu si Asociatii SPRL has a strong and highly experienced transactional team, which saw several major deals through to completion, despite the impact of the Covid 19 pandemic. Although Dragoș Radu has retired, Radu Diaconu leads a deep team, which includes well regarded managing associate Stefan Mantea. The practice comes highly recommended by clients, which include an impressive mix of domestic and international companies and investment funds. Clients also benefit from the firms partnership with the broader EY network.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has outstanding legal knowledge and experience. They are agile and accurate. We were impressed by their capability to properly manage every detail of our project, despite of the permanent time pressure. They use innovative software to handle large volumes of information/documents. Stefan Mantea is a remarkable practitioner with a business oriented mindset. Stefan provides top-notch legal advice in a timely fashion. He goes above and beyond to accomplish the client’s goals.’
‘Good understanding of customers needs, pro-activity and excellent communication skills; we would specifically like to mention Radu Diaconu and Stefan Mantea.’
‘Radu si Asociatii SPRL has an excellent team. They have strong technical expertise and business understanding. We appreciate their ability to provide clear legal advice within short notice.’
Casa Rusu SRL
DAAS Impex SRL
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Ebm – Papst Automotive & Drives Romania SRL
Arysta Lifescience Romania S.R.L.
- Advised the shareholders of Casa Rusu SRL, a market leading Romanian furniture manufacturer, on the sale of a 75% stake in the company to Greenbridge Investment Partners Limited.
- Advised AccorInvest Group on the purchase of a significant share package in Orbis SA (an investment fund with participations in 73 hotels, including Accor Hotels Romania SRL).
- Advised a Spanish multinational food company on a complex cross-border intra-group restructuring process.
Suciu Popa has, in a relatively short time, established itself an impressive reputation for high-end corporate and private equity-related transactional matters. The firm's broad international clientbase ensures a strong flow of multijurisdictional mandates. The team is especially active in the energy and infrastructure sectors. Founding partners Miruna Suciu and Luminița Popa both come highly recommended by clients and have good standings in the market.
Miruna Suciu; Luminița Popa
‘Our experience with Suciu Popa is excellent. They provide unmatched advice in corporate, commercial and M&A field, based on the lawyers’ expertise and involvement in relevant large cases during the last years. We found them to be reliable advisers, with a deep experience in large multiple jurisdiction transactions and availability to step in and find a solution even at the shortest notice. They are very creative but rigorous lawyers, two qualities making the difference in the market.’
‘Miruna Suciu is a name worth highlighting. She is one of the top professionals in the field who offers excellent advice and oversees the projects end to end, being involved in the most minute details.’
SNGN Romgaz SA
Bolt Technology OU
Mercedes Benz Romania
AoP Orphan Pharma
Rompetrol and KMG International (KMGI)
E-Distributie Muntenia, E-Distributie Banat, E-Distributie Dobrogea
Black Sea Oil & Gas
Helix Oilfield Services Ltd (Scotland)
Central Bottling Company Ltd
- Legal support to Hunt Oil Company of Romania for carrying out the largest contiguous 3D seismic acquisition project ever conducted in onshore Europe.
- Advising Enel SpA in negotiating a land and share transfer agreement with Electrica SA and the minority shareholders of Enel’s electricity distribution subsidiaries in Romania.
- Advising SNGN Romgaz SA in connection with the planned acquisition of a participating interest in Neptune Deep offshore block (Black Sea, Romania) from ExxonMobil.
Volciuc-Ionescu has a medium-sized team that is extremely active in the market, both for strategic corporate investments and private equity buyouts. Clients report using the firm for their key matters, and the reputation of practice head Ramona Volciuc-Ionescu is a major draw. Recently the firm has been involved in several high profile transactions in the energy, automotive, oil and gas, and technology sectors. Clients also single out recently recruited senior associate Ana-Maria Selea for praise.
‘They deliver top quality advice, good value, dedicated to serving us when we need them. They are very business-oriented, customer-driven and creative to find solutions rather than only identify issues. I would place them at the very top of my law firm panel. The whole team is great. I would note Ramona Volciuc, as a remarkable business lawyer, with an extraordinary sense of negotiation. Senior Associate Ana Selea also stands-out – a great lawyer from the new generation.’
‘The unique practice is given by the medium size team, very experienced in M&A. We are very happy with their work – they deliver consistent first-class advice, with an excellent understanding of the business drivers and the industry, practical and out-of-the box solutions. Ramona in particular stands out for her pragmatism, clear commercial advice and great negotiation skills. She is very hands-on. I would definitely recommend Volciuc-Ionescu to anyone looking for high quality legal advice.’
Prospex Oil & Gas plc
Sinohydro Holding (Hong Kong)
British Foam Grup
- Advised Electrica Furnizare, a leading Romanian utility company, on the acquisition of Long Bridge Milenium, company active in the renewable generation market.
- Advised Varroc group in establishing a joint venture with ELBA, a privately-held leader in the lighting and electronics business in Romania, for the purpose of manufacturing automotive electronics in Romania.
- Advised Trod Holding on the acquisition of TEB Project One, a company operating a biogas cogeneration plant.
Biris Goran SPARL provides a mix of transactional and day-to-day corporate advice, including restructurings, business launches, and joint ventures. The firm is especially active on the real estate side, regularly assisting domestic and international investors on related corporate ventures and SPVs. The firm also represents clients in the retail, hospitality, technology, healthcare, and aviation sectors. The highly experienced Teodora Moțatu and Ana Frațian jointly lead the team.
Teodora Moțatu; Ana Frațian
Global Vision (Lazu Joint Venture)
Global Vision (Chitila Joint Venture)
Europa Capital Group
Liebrecht & Wood
One United Properties
- Assisted Global Vision, a leading Romanian real estate company and property developer, in a joint venture with Globalworth, a London-based real estate company listed on the London Stock Exchange and operating in Romania and Poland.
- Assisted Europa Capital Group, a leading London-based property fund, on its exit from three Romanian real estate SPVs.
- Assisting AdStream, a platform providing connected solutions for brands, creative agencies, production houses and media owners, with all day-to-day issues including complex corporate governance and restructuring matters.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has a strong standing in the TMT market where it advises clients, including major corporates and venture capital funds, on transactional, regulatory and broader commercial issues. The firm also represents clients from the manufacturing, real estate and financial services sectors. Name partner Cătălin Grigorescu has established a strong reputation, and is also experienced on insolvency issues. Alexandru Rusu is also active in this area.
Catalin Grigorescu; Alexandru Rusu
‘The M&A team has innovative solutions to customer requests, and formed by lawyers who understand customers needs and find innovative solutions.’
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
WBV Weisenburger Bau + Verwaltung GmbH
- Ongoing legal advice to Google on various matters in Romania, including the launch of YouTube Kids.
- Acted as local counsel for MVGM, the Dutch property management leader, in relation to the acquisition of JLL Romania’s property management business, including the JLL teams specialising in retail centres management.
- Assisted the American life insurance company MassMutual on the opening of a branch to outsource its IT matters.
Buzescu Ca represents a broad portfolio of international clients. The team offers strong support on day-to-day matters, as well as transactional advice, including M&A and related due diligence, joint ventures and other strategic business decisions. Clients come from key sectors including energy, aviation, manufacturing and hospitality. Peter Buzescu leads the team, which includes Adrian Tomescu and well regarded associate Corina Papuzu.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Tomescu; Corina Papuzu
‘Solid and rounded experience of the Romanian legislation, with a team of experts from various fields who are attentive to the customer needs, and provide a fast response.’
‘When approached with a legal request they respond swiftly and they quickly get a sense of what it is we want to achieve and give detailed advice on how – if at all – this can be achieved. Great English communication skills and great at understanding our business and our needs.’
Dalea Investment Group
- Advised HIG Capital on the due diligence on the Romanian subsidiary of a Greek transport and logistics company in relation to the acquisition of the parent company.
- Advised Danfoss Group on the restructuring of three Romanian subsidiaries. This project involved multifaceted advice on corporate, employment, and tax laws.
- Advised Wizz Air on corporate governance, consumer protection, and complex state aid, and procurement matters.
Eversheds Sutherland Romania's increasingly active transactional team advised on over €150m worth of M&A deals in the most recent 12 month reporting period. Clients include strategic investors and private equity funds with interests across the full range of industries. The firm also provides strong day-to-day commercial support to an impressive mix of blue-chip corporates. Managing partners Mihai Guia and Cristian Lina both have prominent practices.
Mihai Guia; Cristian Lina
Quest Global Engineering Services
- Assisted G4S on the Romanian aspects of the sale of its cash division to Brinks, the American security services provider.
- Assisted Unilever with the acquisition of Frufru, a local producer of raw/ bio products.
- Advised Sika Romania (the local entity of SikaAG) in the acquisition of of Arcon Membrane SRL, a company specialized in the production of bituminous membranes.
Leroy si Asociatii is a popular choice, particularly for international companies operating in the consumer goods, infrastructure, and telecoms sectors. The team, which includes the highly experienced Bruno Leroy and Andreea Toma, handles a wide range of matters, including M&A, corporate reorganisations, business launches, and divestitures. The firm is also noted for its strong links to the French market. Senior associate Ruxandra Manciu also has an active practice.
Bruno Leroy; Andreea Toma
Visualis / Store Building Partners S.R.L.
Servier Pharma SRL
GroupeRocher (Yves Rocher)
- Assisted Lacoste on the sale of its Romanian subsidiary Trans Euro Textile S.R.L.
- Advised Vodafone’s Romanian subsidiaries on various complex corporate arrangements including the reorganization of its corporate governance structure and the establishment of new articles of association.
- Advising Louis Vuitton on various internal corporate and corporate governance matters.
MPR Partners handles a solid mix of day-to-day commercial and corporate governance and also has capacity to handle major cross-border M&A deals. The team has good expertise across sectors including pharmaceuticals, energy, manufacturing and healthcare. Gelu Maravela, Alina Popescu and Dana Rădulescu are the main contacts.
Gelu Maravela; Alina Popescu; Dana Rădulescu
Air France – KLM
Alewijnse Holding B.V.
Autotechnica Fleet Services
- Advising Air France and KLM on a variety of day-to-day and broader corporate legal issues.
STALFORT Legal. Tax. Audit. receives strong feedback from clients who appreciate the firm's multi-disciplinary approach. The firm handles a mix of mid-size corporate transactional work, including M&As and company reorganisations, as well as day-to-day commercial and corporate governance issues. The firm's close connection with the German market is considered a key strength by German-speaking clients. Raluca Oprisiu and Carmen Lupsan lead the team, which also receives strong input from managing partner Christian Weident.
Raluca Oprisiu; Carmen Lupsan
‘A very strong and reliable team. All its members are good professionals and oriented on client needs. Raluca Oprisiu was a very strong and straightforward partner in all corporate, commercial, but also confidential matters. Raluca is a reliable and trustful consultant supporting our company in a very professional manner.’
‘We appreciate the fast, business-oriented and pragmatic answers which always seek to find a solution, as opposed to explaining what is not possible. Besides, the departments of the law firm are well inter-connected, which makes its work interdisciplinary. We were particularly pleased about the fact that we can always reach our direct contact person within a short time.’
‘They are very thoughtful and proactive in the provision of their legal services. They inform me of upcoming issues with ample time for our company to discuss these issues and provide them with instructions. Raluca Oprișiu has been a pleasure to work with. She is very knowledgeable and very responsive.’
‘Christian Weident is an experienced expert in employment matters with a strong corporate/ commercial background. As a managing partner, he is very well informed and adds interdisciplinary knowledge to the practice. In particular, we appreciate that he is a German lawyer and understands very well how problems are looked at and communication takes place in our German headquarters.’
Dr. Oetker Group
Sunflower (Luxembourg) Light Energy Science & Technology Co. Ltd, S.A.R.L.
HARTING Technology Group
Hootsuite Inc./ Hootsuite Romania
Kraftanlagen München Group
Hageneder Holding GmbH
German Romanian Chamber of Commerce (AHK)
GETEC heat & power GmbH
VAT Vakuumventile AG
CERCE PROD IN-VEST SRL
Pressburg Partners GmbH
Almos Alfons Mosel Handels GmbH
Zundel Holding GmbH
Hoffmann Industrial Tools SRL
KiK Textilien und Non-Food SRL/ Tengelmann group
Bock Industries AG
Dr. August Wolff GmbH & Co. KG Arzneimittel
- Advising Sunflower (Luxembourg) Light Energy Science & Technology Co. Ltd. on regaining control over a €21.6m Romanian operator of a photovoltaic power plant following an in-depth negotiation with the Romanian partners.
- Advice to Dr. Oetker RO SRL on the acquisition of a majority stake in the frozen pastry producer, Panovia Prod SA.
- Assisted DODUCO Group on a business transfer to help simplify the company’s group structure in Romania, involving the liquidation of the smaller Romanian company.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law is popular with clients, who commend the firm's energy and client care. The firm is especially active for companies operating in the IT and energy sectors, and also has a strong track record in the venture capital space. Managing partner Silviu Stratulat comes highly recommended, and is backed by a strong team of lawyers, including Irina Petre, and newly promoted partner Cristina Man.
Other key lawyers:
Irina Petre; Cristina Man
‘Outstanding involvement of the top management in championing projects. Good use of modern tech, and very professional and motivated staff.’
‘Fast and competent collaboration during our M&A process. Super fast reaction time.;
‘Silviu Stratulat was extremely fast, super sharp, available for our topics almost 24/7, always finding a solution. Cristina Man was extremely hard working, almost 24/7, very good at mixing detail oriented work with high level balancing and prioritising in order to help our negotiations and deals.
‘The team is very well rounded and extremely fast and responsive on M&A projects, VC projects, PE projects, IP matters. It is also very well connected internationally in areas where we have interests.’
‘A dynamic and personable lead partner in Silviu, who is always looking for the next connection, whilst at the same time is ensuring solid legal advice is provided on live matters.’
S.P.E.E.H. Hidroelectrica S.A.
TRG Management LP – The Rohatyn Group (“TRG”)
GapMinder Venture Partners
Pitech Plus and Bogdan Herea – founder and sole shareholder of the company
Beez Software SRL
Titluri Quality SRL
CODA Intelligence SRL
- Advising Hidroelectrica, a state-owned electricity company, on the tentative acquisition in a competitive process of CEZ Romania Group which includes CEZ units: CEZ Romania, CEZ Vanzare, Distributie Energie Oltenia, MW Team Invest, Ovidiu Development, TMK, Tomis Team.
- Advised TRG, an emerging markets focused asset management firm, on the investment in Amethyst Radiotherapy Limited, one of the largest operators of radiotherapy clinics in Europe.
- Advised Glory Global Solutions (International) Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Glory Ltd, on its $223M investment in Acrelec Group SAS.
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys)
Boanta, Gidei & Asociatii SCP (in association with CEE Attorneys) has an experienced corporate team offering transactional and day-to-day support across a wide range of areas. Clients include manufacturers, clothing and food retailers, and financial services, TMT and transport companies, as well as venture capital funds and entrepreneurs. Nicoale Ursu, Radu Boanță and Sergiu Gîdei jointly lead the team.
Nicolae Ursu; Krisztina Voicu; Sergiu Gidei
‘We’re happy with the firm’s performance and news updates. Sergiu Ghidei brings professionalism and loyalty.’
Olympian Park Group
Vertical Seven Group
Sparking Capital Venture Fund
Yusen Logistics Group
Romania Hypermarche – Louis Delhaize Group (Cora Romania)
BCR Social Finance IFN
- Represented Olympian Logistics Parks (a major Romanian operator of logistics and industrial parks) in its successful joint venture with a major Lebanese group.
- Advised the founders of 7Card on the acquisition of a 25% shareholding in the Holde Agri project, with a view to listing on the AERO market of the Bucharest Stock Exchange.
- Assisted Sparking Capital VC Fund in connection with its investment in several Romanian start-ups.
Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii
Bohalteanu şi Asociaţii has a versatile team offering good range of transactional and everyday support. Ionut Bohalteanu is well regarded by clients, and has strong experience advising companies in the energy, consumer goods, technology and real estate sectors. Daniela Milculescu also has good expertise in this area.
Ionut Bohalteanu; Daniela Milculescu
‘The team handled with expertise and efficiency the complex mandate entrusted to them, their legal advice being always prompt and accurate, which we consider as a distinguishing element from other collaborations we had in the field. Ionut Bohalteanu is a very capable and dedicate lawyer, with an impressive capacity to tackle the great variety of matters which our business involves.’
- Advised Premier Energy S.R.L., a Romanian energy distributor, on the acquisition of B.E.R.G. Sistem Gaz S.A., a natural gas supplier and distributor acting in Maramures county.
Bulboaca & Asociatii
Bulboaca & Asociatii fields an experienced M&A practice that is regularly instructed by major international companies and law firms. Recently the firm was involved in several major transactions in the financial services and online gambling sectors. Founding partner Adrian-Catalin Bulboaca and corporate head Alexandra Radu are both very active in this area. Senior associate Ana Chira is also singled out for praise.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian-Catalin Bulboaca; Ana Chira
‘Very hands-on and commercial thinking. Outstanding capabilities in terms of cross-border transactions into Romania. Flexible billing and dynamic collaboration. Alexandra Radu is a very experienced M&A lawyer and partner Ana Chira is an attentive senior associate focused on M&A, and also an excellent coordinator for other disciplines (e.g. tax, labour).’
Banca de Export Import a României EximBank S.A. (Romanian Import Export Bank EximBank S.A.)
SB Group Ltd
D Moonshots Ltd
- Assisted Banca de Export Import a României EximBank S.A with respect to all the stages of the acquisition from the National Bank of Greece of a stake of 99.28% in Banca Românească SA.
- Assisted the founder of the Superbet group, the largest sports betting and gaming company in Romania, in connection to an investment in Innovator Artificial Tech SRL. The transaction included simultaneous investments from two other private equity funds, ROCA X and GapMinder Fund Cooperatief U.A.
- Assisted SB Group Ltd – Superbet Group’s holding company – on a €175m investment into Superbet by the private equity fund, Blackstone.
Peli Partners is especially well known for its advice to the commercial real estate sector, often incorporating corporate structures and SPVs into high value transactions. The firm also has good expertise in other sectors, including financial services, retail and IT, and provides strong day-to-day support to a wide range of clients. Carmen Peli leads the team, which boosted its corporate offering through the recruitment of senior associate Ana Atanasiu, former general counsel of the Bucharest Stock Exchange.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has the capability to solve complex issues and to adapt very fast to new unique situations that came up in different moments of the standard procedures.’
‘The lawyers now in Peli Partners are among the most experienced on the market. They have been involved in a lot of the high-profile M&A deals (banking and real estate come to mind). The team gives you the distinct impression that they are by your side – they understand your issues and make it so that they find the best solution given circumstances.’
GLL Real Estate Partners
Home Away Platform
Jones Lang LaSalle Services
Banca Transilvania/ European Investment Fund
Shikun Point Management
West Gate Group
Semmelrock Stein + Design
- Assisting BTAM, in relation to the acquisition of Certinvest Pensii Societate de Administrare a Fondurilor de Pensii Facultative S.A., manager of the optional pensions fund “Pensia Mea”.
- Assisting Despec Romania in the sale of a majority shareholding in the company to Complet Electro Serv, a leading household appliance retailer.
- Assisting Home Away Platform in relation to setting-up an on-line platform for intermediating home care services and other home services.
Vernon | David is a popular destination for international clients, who also benefit from the firm's market-leading Moldova office. The firm has strong transactional expertise and was recently involved in several significant acquisitions and divestitures. Clients come from across a range of industries, though the firm is particularly experienced in banking, financial services, healthcare and pharmaceuticals. Maria Nica leads the team, which includes experienced managing partner Charles Vernon.
Other key lawyers:
‘Vernon David has been our general outside counsel for many years. They have worked on everything from mergers to public offerings to creating subsidiaries in the US to more general contract work and drafting. They are excellent and outstanding lawyers who work hard, play smart and can be relied upon when things get tough. Professional, reliable and trustworthy with a can-be-done/will-be-done attitude. I would strongly recommend them to anyone. ’
‘Our main contact is Daniela David. She is a terrific lawyer and very capable. The Vernon David team, including Charles Vernon, Maria Nica and Corina Tiganas are all outstanding. What separates them from their competitors is their professionalism (responsive, courteous, respectful, timely and so on) and dedication to us and our matters. They are accomplished and they work hard to be the best. And they are.’
Xannat (was part of Tarmac and the Anglo-American Group)
Ben Shimon Floris Ltd
Intesa San Paolo
- Advised Amring Holding on its restructuring in Romania, as well as broader group activities.
- Advice to the mining company, Xannat, in a variety of daily activities, including real estate, environmental and other matters.
- Advising the steel producer TMK on a major energy project and a corporate restructuring.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA has a solid reputation for transactional matters, including mid-market M&A, spin-offs, restructurings and defending against hostile takeovers. The team also handles day-to-day commercial issues and works closely with several leading international firms. Daniel Voicu and Marta Popa lead an experienced team.
Daniel Voicu; Marta Popa
World Wide Fund
- Assistance to DuPont Exim in transferring its bakery and pastry business to Nordic Import-Export, one of the top Romanian distributors of food products.
- Assisting a group of Romanian retailers in establishing financial services joint ventures for consumer loans and payments.
- Advice on the acquisition of a majority stake in Flex Financial IFN SA, operating in Romania under commercial name Flex Credit.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners has a good track record for commercial day-to-day and transactional advice. The firm represents a mix of domestic and international clients, and was involved in several sell and buy-side mandates, often involving spin-offs and company reorganisations. Practice head Anca Danilescu is well regarded by clients.
‘The team is very oriented in achieving customer’s goals in optimum conditions. Anca Danilescu is a high professional answering very promptly and accurately to any query.’
‘Very good knowledge, extremely responsive, and attentive to the client’s needs. Very good collaboration in facilitating on the job training for our personnel.’
Alro S.A. / Vimetco N.V.
Saint Gobain Group
Pro Forest Romania
Transport Trade Services
Elpreco – CRH Group
Mindray Medical Netherlands BV
- Advised the client on the transfer of the company’s share capital to Charlois Group, via a cross-border share capital increase operation.
- Advised Adina Romania in a spin-off procedure, by transferring part of its business to Invictus, a company in the textile industry.