An impressive bank of public and private sector clients at CMS Grau demonstrate the depth of the expertise at the office. The team specialises in advising organisations with extensive property needs, such as energy and mining companies, domestic conglomerates, manufacturers, producers and government bodies. In terms of work mandates, it boasts a considerable track record of urban and rural development projects including major infrastructure, land transactions and land remediation, for example. High-profile real estate lawyer Raúl Ravina is leading advice to Provias Nacional, the government agency in charge of managing the national road network, on five infrastructure road projects, having won the client following competitive tender. Ravina co-leads the practice alongside the much-praised Carolina Gajate, client partner to Falabella Group among others, while a 15-strong associate team includes stand out individuals Juan Pulgar-Vidal, Patricia Camacho and the more junior Roberth Rojas.
Real estate in Peru
Raúl Ravina; Carolina Gajate
‘Excellent team, both professionally and personally. Experts in their subject.‘
‘Juan Pulgar Vidal is very pragmatic and highly intelligent in handling situations. Raúl Ravina is one of the best real estate lawyers in Peru.’
‘Their knowledge and good practices agree with the philosophy of our company – very clear ethical principles, focused on taking care of the reputation of the client, doing simple and practical things always with a long-term perspective.‘
‘The plus is the value of the contracts over time, the work well done and of quality, lasts in the long term; the client feels supported for all their commercial relationships. The partners I can highlight: Carolina Gajate, Juan Carlos Escudero, Michelle Barclay – all of them recommended for good, timely advice in a difficult decision-making situations.’
‘It is a team with very good management of issues related to access to land for the development of projects, specifically in land issues for mining projects. They have the advantage of having several specialised professionals with experience in advising emblematic companies. Strong sector ethics. In my opinion, CMS Grau has the most complete team in the country’s real estate market due to its level of experience, its interdisciplinary knowledge and its understanding of the client’s needs.‘
‘I consider that its greatest virtue is the quality and number of specialists in property issues. In the specific case of Raul Ravina, he has vast academic and practical management in real estate issues at a legal and social level, in different projects related to the exploitation of natural resources in the country. Of his colleagues, Juan Pulgar Vidal is recommended for his high experience in mining issues, as well as Roberth Rojas in negotiation issues, and Patricia Camacho is specialised in the analysis of property requirements.’
‘They are a team committed to achieving their clients’ goals within the established deadlines. They are people with very high knowledge in land matters, I would bet to say the best advisers in this task at a national level. Their dedication is 100% at all times and always with a very good disposition, and above all, always giving options and solutions to problems that arise. A team that is capable, very organised and willing. ‘
‘Very respectful, 24/7 attention, they always answer calls, very attentive, full availability, full knowledge of the issues, short, medium and long-term solutions, serenity in adverse situations. I had the opportunity to work on the same subject with another firm, and the truth was that they were so technical it was impossible to understand them. In contrast, CMS Grau explains everything in a very simple way, depending on the audience. The attorneys who have really been excellent and on top of the work for our firm are Raúl Ravina and Roberth Rojas.‘
Enel Green Power Perú
Minera Las Bambas (owned by consortium led by MMG)
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
Anglo American Quellaveco
Graña y Montero Petrolera
Tubos y Perfiles Metálicos
Engie Energía Perú
Gases del Norte del Peru
Inversiones San Borja
Soluciones Inmobiliarias Morada
Government of The Netherlands
- Ongoing advice to Minera Las Bambas, including property clearance, negotiation strategy and land acquisition for the copper mega-project Las Bambas.
- Advising Fondos Sura and its investment funds in the preparation, negotiation, modification and subscription of lease contracts for commercial premises, offices, parking lots and warehouses in different business centres.
- Acting for Provias Nacional (government agency in charge of managing the national road network) in highly competitive public tenders, including advice on the acquisition of properties related to five major infrastructure road projects which involves an investment of millions of dollars.
Real estate is the core area of practice at boutique Estudio De la Flor, García Montufar Arata & Asociados, which is recognised domestically and internationally for both its exptertise and breadth of practice. It fields some five partners and 20 associates in this area, enabling it to service multiple large-scale projects and complex land issues, as well property dispute resolution. The firm's Guillermo Garcia Montufar has four decades experience in this field and heads the practice alongside: Moisés Arata, whose clients include several public bodies; administrative and urban law specialist Claudio Berastain; and Julio Salazar Calderon, noted for his experience in rural property matters. The very stable associate team includes Carol Villanueva, who handles titling issues and regularisation for acquisitions and land transfers, among other areas; and Daniel Alegre, noted for his transactional capability.
Moises Arata Solis; Claudio Berastain Quevedo; Guillermo Garcia Montufar; Julio Salazar Calderon
‘The attorneys in this firm are some of the best local counsel I have encountered in 23 years of working in Latin America. They are extremely attentive to our needs. They are experts in real estate and commercial transactions. They are well connected with government and the legal community. ‘
‘Guillermo Garcia Montufar took an intense personal interest in understanding our needs as a client – more so than any outside attorney I have worked with. He went above and beyond our expectations to make our issues his issues and to help us resolve them over many years. I wish we had an attorney with his attitude and capabilities in every county in Latin America. ‘
‘They are very specialised in municipal and registry issues. Their advise is essential to our investment analysis. Other firms do not have this level of expertise.’
‘Guillermo Garcia is precise, always available and diligent. Claudio Berastain is results-oriented and search for synergies.‘
‘High level of detail.’
‘Claudio Berastain is a complete lawyer, knows his subject very well, handles clients’ expectations very well and fulfills his commitments.’
‘The team as a whole is very good. It brings together lawyers with extensive experience in the private sector, in the real estate area, both in the aspects of transfers, liens, trusts and all the issues related to the financing and development of real estate projects. Also, a group of its lawyers has extensive experience in the public sector, mainly in the National Superintendency of Public Registries.’
‘Moisés Arata Solis stands out clearly; he has extensive expertise in all areas of real estate, his services being excellent, inclusive and exceptionally effective, far superior to the rest of the real estate market. Within his team, due to their extensive experience and effectiveness in achieving highly complex real estate registrations and reorganisations, are Martha Silva Diaz and Sonia Campos Fernandez. In general, the entire team of lawyers surpasses those of their competitors in knowledge and experience.’
Familia Mayo Garay
Nexa Resourses Perú
Auna (Oncocenter Peru)
Fondo De Inversión En Renta De Bienes Inmuebles Sura Asset Management II
Enel Distribución Perú
Viva Gym – La Fiduciaria
Agroindustrias San Andrés
Pacífico Compañía De Seguros y Reaseguros
Aldea Logística Global
- Advised Familia Mayo Garay in the process of changing the zoning of a large 3,177.50m² property from Low Density Residential (RDB) to Zoned Commercial (CZ), enabling the property to be used as a commercial or hospital building.
- Advised the SBA group, (formed by the companies SBA Torres Perú and SBA Inmuebles Perú), on the regularisation of the registration of more than 30 contracts (surface rights, usufruct and leases) that have allowed SBA to install its telecommunications infrastructure, in order to lease its stations to the different telecommunications companies that exist in the Peruvian market.
- Advised Auna (Oncocenter Perú) on the zoning change of a property located in Urbanización Corpac, district of San Borja, province and department of Lima, to be used for an office and hospital building.
Dominant across a broad range of real estate work, Miranda & Amado handles developments, transactions and disputes at the highest level. They include, for instance, acting for TC Latin America Partners on housing and commercial projects totalling 590,000m² and with a projected investment of over $400m. Other, more niche areas of expertise include permits and licences, rural land transactions and international property investment, where the firm draws upon tier-one practices in corporate, tax and real estate under its umbrella 'Real Estate Business Practice for Investors and Developers' service. Much-admired Claudia Lucena heads the property law team and is extremely hands-on, leading or supervising on all key mandates. An exceptionally strong associate team includes Yelitza Valdivia, a specialist in technical and legal sanitation; Daniel Corzo, noted for his work in land transactions within large-scale development projects; and the disputes-focused Luis Francisco Paz.
‘Miranda & Amado’s real estate practice has a level of specialisation that I have not found at any other firm. Its high degree of specialisation and the fact of being a multidisciplinary firm allow it to form teams that provide truly comprehensive advice at all stages of real estate projects, in consulting and even in the face of conflicts that demand knowledge not only of the legal aspects involved, but the business.’
‘Competence, high standards and great knowledge of the business, proximity in the client-lawyer relationship, availability and punctuality in deliveries, are some of the characteristics that make the firm’s lawyers stand out from their competitors. Personally, I have been working with Claudia Lucena, who leads the real estate area of the firm, for several years. Her excellent work and dedication has made Claudia an important part of our team. Daniel Corzo, real estate associate, stands out for his great expertise in urban issues.’
‘They have absolute command of the regulatory aspects of the business. They have an extraordinary ability to provide creative legal solutions to the different challenges that innovative projects require, integrating their technical, economic, legal and financial aspects. They do it with commitment and great disposition.’
‘Absolute command of regulations, exceptional creativity, maximum quality and availability. Claudia Lucena is a recognised and outstanding specialist in real estate matters.’
‘The Miranda & Amado team is able to achieve the strategic objectives of the company. They provide agile, timely and quality accompaniment in real estate sales negotiations. They manage the complexity of the cases very well and create a collaborative work environment.’
‘The client-lawyer relationship has created a space with great trust where the firm has always aligned itself with the objectives and needs of the company, many times it has even gone beyond what was agreed or required. On the other hand, the quality of the legal services is outstanding. Claudia Lucena is a key part of the team.’
‘Miranda’s attorneys have a very high ability to address issues and quickly find solutions when necessary. They compare favourably in the level of knowledge they maintain and are constantly updated on new regulations.”
‘They have the ability to solve problems using up-to-date technical information, specifically Daniel Corzo, who was able to advise us correctly on how to approach the risks that we saw in the last transaction. He was fast and accurate.’
TC Latin America Partners
Paladin Realty Partners
Morgan Río Capital Management
Telefónica del Perú
EOM Inversiones (Grupo Esparq)
Administradora Jockey Plaza
Tiendas por Departamento Ripley
H&M Hennes & Mauritz
Arte Express & Compañía
Leo Andes (Leonisa)
Universidad de Ingeniería y Tecnología
- Advising Administradora Jockey Plaza Shopping Center on its dispute with Cencosud Retail Perú, derived from the closure of the Paris department stores and American Eagle, Carters and Women Secret stores in Peru.
- Advising TC Latin America Partners on real estate matters related to the execution of housing and commercial projects in and outside of Lima, and in Arequipa, amounting to a total of 590,000m² and involving a projected investment of over $400m.
- Acting for EOM Inversiones (Grupo Esparq) on a key mixed-use project in Cusco, covering up to 12,000m².
Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados is the go-to firm for a multitude of highly land-dependent companies, such as utilities, industrial manufacturers and mining companies. An exceptionally broad skill set at the firm includes capability in niche areas such as archaeology, analysis of seismic risk, and acquisition rights of state-owned lands, the firm offering stand-out strength in the overlap of public law and land law. The nine-strong specialist team is led by pre-eminent real estate lawyer Carlos Carpio, often instructed to defend the Peruvian State in international arbitration concerning land matters. His right hand at the practice is very experienced associate Hugo Sarria, who also has combined public law expertise, while Isabel Carrascal continues to grow in profile and experience.
‘Their detailed knowledge of the legislation and how to interrelate it with other legal areas, as well as its implications, stands out. REM is a benchmark in how to relate to the client, and in inter-area internal coordination.’
‘A plus that I identify in the firm is the leadership, especially in client care. Rómulo Muñoz takes a subject and coordinates it and if necessary because the subject touches other areas of the study, he leads it and identifies the interactions and implications resulting in a complete and comprehensive work.‘
‘Many attorneys at the firm have worked for public entities and have a proactive profile and a fierce defence of the cases raised by their clients, a multidisciplinary approach and depth of analysis.’
‘Many of the lawyers in the team have participated in the drafting of laws, and have a close relationship with the authorities; they are not simply applicants of the law but creators of the law. I especially want to recommend Carlos Carpio, senior partner of the team and Hugo Sarria, associate. Carlos Carpio is clearly the leader in the country in this matter.‘
Cía Peruana de Radiodifusión
PLM Inversiones Inmobiliarias
Desarrolladora del Pacífico
Inversiones La Maddalena
San José Constructora Perú
Teleférico Huchuy Qosqo
Minera Antares Perú
Southern Perú Copper Corporation
- Advising leading television company Cía. Peruana de Radiodifusión on all its real estate needs, most recently advising on securing permits and licenses of television facilities for operational purposes, regularisation and clearance of information in the Public Registry of Properties, and preparation of contracts for sale of lands and buildings.
- Acting for beverage and bottling company CBC Peruana in obtaining all necessary permissions for its operations, as well as the evaluation of its properties and others intended to be acquired.
- Advising APM Terminals, operator of the multi-purpose north terminal of Callao port, on securing permits and licenses of facilities for operational purposes (urban fitting out and building) of the company’s terminal in Callao port.
DLA Piper Perú continues to grow market share, particularly in the property transactions sphere, including real estate finance. Hernán Velarde brings 20 years' experience to the market and leads both the practice and the majority of headline mandates at the firm, such as advice to Grupo Redfin on the sale to FIBRA Prime of seven properties located in Lima leased in favour of convenience store chain Supermercados Peruanos. A small but highly-capable team of four associates includes Yaritza Rivera, whose focus includes the regularisation of buildings, and Andrea Pinillos, adviser on the civil, registration and urban planning contingencies of real estate transactions.
‘The team is very methodical and detailed in its processes. They cover the entire procurement process including minor and operational topics. A lot of experience in the real estate sector and 100% dedication. They are one of the best three firms in my opinion.’
‘I highlight the direct involvement of the partner, Hernán Velarde, accompanying the team in the acquisition processes. I also highlight the associate Yaritza Rivera, who has a very good disposition and diligence to cover the queries.’
‘Very satisfied with the advice in real law and contract negotiation. Great knowledge of the whole team. I choose this firm because they always help us to look at all possible contingencies in our contracts, from contractual, civil, tax and even criminal.’
‘Great knowledge of Hernán Velarde and his entire team in contract negotiation, real estate law, civil law, tax related to construction and real estate businesses. I feel very very secure that Hernan and his team are my advisers when negotiating the purchase or sale of real estate, and in negotiations with investment funds and banks to obtain financing for projects.’
‘The team of lawyers who were in charge of the advisory service to our company was led by Hernán Velarde, complemented by Johana Quezada. The work was very well managed when drawing up a strategy to achieve the approval of the most complex part of the project. The experience of the team, its good management and the speed, surpasses that of other firms with which we have worked.’
‘Hernán Velarde, partner of the firm, is a person with marked experience and management, with a very appropriate and intelligent approach. Johana Quezada was in charge of developing the entire process, her experience in handling municipal, registry and other issues, in addition to her perseverance and professional dedication, was very important in achieving our objectives.‘
‘During the management and drafting of the contracts, we received the important support of the DLA Piper team led by Hernán Velarde, who provides solutions that help to ‘untie knots’ that are presented in the details of the closure of an operation. They contribute knowledge in the tools they offer us and speed up the closing of operations, helping with solutions that maintain the spirit of the business without hindering bilateral management with the counterpart. In our case, it is always the willingness to answer our questions and resolve them. Additionally in the drafting of my contracts they are quite meticulous and detailed.‘
‘They have a lot of experience in matters related to the real estate commercial area and the tax aspects that provide us with solutions. The team is extremely attentive, kind, collaborative, patient and willing to make the changes that were necessary to obtain a healthy contract for the parties. The team in this aspect is practical and considers that our counterpart is a client or a seller with whom we hope to close a business. The team is led by Hernán Velarde with the very important support of Johana Quezada and Katia Pinedo.’
EOM Grupo / Espinosa Arquitectos
Promotora Grupo Norte
Hemisferio Inversiones (Rosental Inversiones)
Wyndham Hotel Group (Maragogi)
Inmobiliaria La Pacifica (Paladin Realty Partners)
Cocinas Ocultas Peru
Sura Asset Management
Cimenta, Administradora General de Fondos
La Quinta de los Fabricantes
- Advised pension and investment management company FIRBI Sura Asset Management II, on acquiring 4500m²of leasable office space in the administrative offices called ‘Patio Panorama’ (located in the district of Surco, Lima), from Euro Americana de Comercio.
- Advised the construction company Torre Azul on the development of a multi-family building located in Miraflores, Lima.
- Represented Grupo Redfin in the sale in favour of FIBRA Prime of seven properties located in different districts of the city of Lima leased in favour of Supermercados Peruanos for the operation of their convenience stores.
Twelve months of from the arrival of Jorge Reátegui at Hernández & Cía. Abogados, the full-time real estate partner and his team have bedded-in well at the firm, earning multiple new clients despite the backdrop of Covid-19. New instructions include matters on behalf of Peru's largest brewery Backus y Johnston, construction company Attko and leading conglomerage Gloria Group. Senior associate Alan Pasco and the more junior Vicente Portugal are key members of the team, advising on a broad range of matters.
‘The team is very committed to the client, they are always available providing innovative strategies that provide immediate solutions.‘
‘Jorge Reátegui establishes a direct contact with his clients, generating trust in them. Alan Pasco, who is a member of Jorge’s team, has a bright future and is always available generating innovative ideas with a strong legal basis.’
‘The firm has a variety of consolidated areas with know-how in the area that we develop and they have known how to meet our needs, complying to date with a successful capital raising operation for our next real estate project.’
‘The strengths developed in the operation have been: negotiation capacity, search in the flexibility of the pre-existing conditions with the counterpart, search for conflict resolution and quick response times within the terms granted. We believe that they do compare favourably with other firms. We highlight the work and achievements of Jorge Reátegui, who advised us on the operation.’
‘They have a multidisciplinary team that helps close complex transactions. Jorge Reátegui has a lot of experience.’
‘They are close and committed to the challenge. Jorge Reátegui transmits the same concern as his clients.‘
‘They know the regulations of the country backwards and forwards, that makes them reliable.’
‘They are committed, they are not limited to handling the management but they are concerned about the result and that things go well.’
FM Inmobiliaria Perú
Ingleby Perú Holding
Inversión y Desarrollo Sociedad Agente de Bolsa
Interseguro Compañía de Seguros
Unión de Cervecerias Peruanas Backus y Johnston
Interseguro Compañía de Seguros
V & V Grupo Inmobiliario Constructor
- Advised Ingleby on the acquisition of real estate with a total extension of 464.36 hectares in Lambayeque, including land that previously belonged to the peasant community of San Julián de Motupe.
- Advised Attko on the development of a Pullman Hotel, including the drafting, negotiation and closing of operating agreements with Accor Hotels to the value of $50m.
- Advised Backus on the re-opening of its main facility nationwide.
Lazo, De Romaña & Bravo Abogados
Lazo, De Romaña & Bravo Abogados notably fields two partners in this area, more than several nearest rivals and indicative of the volume of real estate work at the firm. Head of practice Jose Antonio Jaramillo is very experienced, particularly in land sanitation matters, while fellow partner Claudia Tavara combines her practice with corporate, M&A and finance, providing a pertinent skill set for transactions. Work highlights at the firm reveal a versatile practice, although work on behalf of real estate investment funds is a key aspect. The junior bench includes associate Manuel Madrid, a specialist in urban planning.
Jose Antonio Jaramillo
LindCorp Real Estate
Nessus Hoteles Perú (Casa Andina)
La Positiva Vida Seguros y Reaseguros
W Capital (Grupo Wiese)
Lima Airport Partners
Protecta Compañia de Seguros
- Acting for LindCorp Real Estate on the negotiation of purchase options with Besco (owned by construction and development company Besalco), over important city properties.
- Advising Grupo Patio on the structuring of a guarantee mechanism consisting of the constitution of surface rights and usufruct in favour of the buyer as part of the purchase of a Class A+ corporate building (currently under construction) worth $59.2m.
- Advising Lima Airport Partners – LAP on the municipal, construction, real estate and regulatory application aspects related to the main works to be executed within the framework of the Jorge Chávez International Airport Expansion Project.
Real estate is a key area of practice at Estudio Olaechea which handles sophisticated transactions on behalf of investors, developers and manufacturers, among others. While the practice is comprehensive, it also offers more unique services such as title clearance on rural or rustic property and negotiating with indigenous communities. Head of the practice Rossana Natteri is praised by clients and is particularly strong in transactions; she led advice to Pimera Visión on the $22.9m sale of a 51% participation in the class A+ corporate office building called 'Primera Visión' to FIBRA Credicorp. Associates Alberto Meneses and Paloma Hoyos are integral members of the team.
‘I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, dedication, analytical skills and out-of-the-box solutions shown by the team led by Rossana Nateri to close a complex buy-and-sell operation in a very short period of time.’
‘I highlight the commitment of the entire team, the anticipation and capacity for analysis shown in the face of possible contingencies, the thinking outside the box to find solutions that satisfy all the parties involved, as well as the closeness and openness they showed at all times.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable on the subject, they are proactive and very close to the client.’
‘Rossana Natteri is always attentive to any questions or doubts. The response is quick and concise.’
‘Direct and assertive communication with the firm’s lawyers make this practice a real tool to make decisions based on the interests of the company. The result is legal advice that is not based on a mere review of the regulations, but rather provides real guidance on the line of business development.’
‘I have had a very good relationship with Rossana Natteri, who within the real estate area of the firm understands perfectly that the development of real estate projects determines the knowledge and practice of different areas of law, and of other disciplines, in such a way that the legal advice is transversal to the business as a whole.’
‘Rosana Nateri is a professional with solid legal knowledge.’
Inmobiliaria Swiss Capitals
Boston Consulting Group
Cushman & Wakefield
NCR Del Perú
Green Dreams Inmobiliaria Y Constructora
La Gloria Propiedades
Corporación La Sirena
- Completed advice to Saint-Gobain in real estate matters related to the merger and acquisition of the tile-fixing business of Cerámica Lima (Celima), including the transfer of real estate located in Lurín for the price of $2.8m and the regularisation of all the municipal and registry procedures resulting from said transfer.
- Advised Primera Visión on the sale of a 51% participation in the class A+ corporate office building called ‘Primera Visión’ for $22.9m; the purchase was made through a securitisation trust for real estate rental investment, FIBRA Credicorp, which placed certificates with a participation of $25.8m on the market.
- Acted for Inmobiliaria Swiss Capitals on the structuring, negotiation and drafting of the necessary contracts to acquire 99% of the shares and rights of a property located in Villa El Salvador for $1.1m.
Eduardo Barboza, co-head of the real estate practice at Amprimo, Flury, Barboza & Rodríguez Abogados. is a well-known figure in real estate circles and specialises in contractual issues and disputes relating to property. Fellow team leader Carlos Rodríguez brings additional administrative law expertise to the practice and is also a litigator and arbitrator, particularly valuable given the rise in Covid-19-related property controversies during the past year. The more junior partner, Jaime Miranda, is also a key member of the team.
Eduardo Barboza; Carlos Rodrígue
‘Partners Eduardo Barboza and Jaime Miranda have an extensive knowledge of the real estate industry and the law; in addition to having a super team that is always one step ahead of the competition.’
‘Eduardo Barboza (the head of the team) is outstanding, a benchmark in the real estate market; that added to his knowledge in contracts, disputes and practicality make him truly exceptional. At his side, his partner Jaime Miranda also stands out, extremely solid – they work together well, making a ‘best of the best’ team. In addition to their enormous professional qualities, Eduardo and Jaime are people with the highest ethical standards.’
‘It does compare favourably with teams from other firms. They look for practical and efficient solutions for clients. All solutions with a good final impact on conflict resolution.’
‘They are better in practicality and efficiency. They arrive at the solution in a versatile way. They have a very good communication from the beginning of the process, and they maintain this communication throughout it. Eduardo Barboza is one of the outstanding partners in real estate matters. He is accompanied at this level of excellence by Jaime Miranda.’
‘The team members have multiple complementary skills, this allows them to tackle problems with various capabilities. Their expertise in contractual aspects puts them on a high pedestal of specialty in the market.’
‘Jaime Miranda works closely with the client, is consistent, flexible, very good risk analysis. He accompanied us in every step of a property sale operation, from the sale of shares (as the first option) to the sale of the land (as the last option), integrating multiple lawyers from other specialties from other firms. Eduardo Barboza is outstanding, experienced, market leader, strong negotiation skills and in arbitration.’
‘The service is one of the best we have had of all the lawyers I have worked with in Latin America. Starting with the ability to respond and continuing with practical advice but with a legal approach that has allowed us not only to know the legal regulations but also how the legal and real estate market works in Peru.‘
‘Personally, I mention Eduardo Barboza and Jaime Miranda with whom we have worked. Both Eduardo and Jaime have worked efficiently and diligently on the matters that we entrust to them, relying once again on their strong response capacity, legal knowledge and knowledge of the real estate market in Peru. Also (and I think they differ from other firms here) they have presented practical solutions for our clients, which has allowed the continuity of their business in the country.’
The Nomad Group
Echeverría Izquierdo Perú
Caja Rural de Ahorro y Crédito Raíz
V&V Grupo Inmobiliario Constructor
Minera Aurífera Retamas (Marsa)
ICBC Bank Perú
Caja Metropolitana de Lima
- Acting for Avla Peru, part of the Chilean insurance group, in multiple contractual disputes relating to real estate property triggered by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Regular advice to Echevarría Izquierdo Perú concerning its portfolio of housing projects, which includes some of the tallest multi-family buidings in Peru.
- Represented Grupo Sandoval, a developer of projects in Callao, on the $15m sale of approximately 19,000.00m² of land located in the municipality, on which Grupo Altomayo will build an industrial plant.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International is able to advise on sophisticated real estate financings on behalf of banks and investment funds under the guidance real estate industry group head Marco Alarcón, a leading finance lawyer in Peru. The firm also has capability in the administrative law aspects of land and property, where public law star Jorge Danós and principal associate Laura Francia recently led advice to the Ministry of Production regarding the interpretation of PPP and public utilities laws, specifically in relation to an industrial parks project in Lima.
Ministry of Production
Fondo de Inversión en Bienes Raíces Larrain Vial-Colliers II (FIBRAs LVC II & III)
Lima Verde (Administradora Jockey Plaza)
Euro Americana de Comercio y Finanzas
City Storage Systems (Cocinas Ocultas)
Citibank del Perú
Aldo Barbosa Stern
Oficinas del Perú (Grupo Wiese)
Municipality of Punta Hermosa
- Advising investment fund FIBRA LVC II in multiple matters related to real estate.
- Successfully represented the Ministry of Production regarding the correct interpretation of PPP and public utilities laws regarding an industrial parks project in Lima.
- Advised Lima Verde, the real estate branch of Jockey Plaza shopping centre, regarding the development of a hotel and/or housing project on one of the major lots of land where this important mall stands.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados specialises in high-end land and property transactions and acts for some significant companies, such as La Positiva Vida Seguros y Reaseguros and Makro Supermayorista. The national firm also has capability in project design, implementation and management, real estate financing and municipal law, among other market segments. Head of the well-resourced team Yuri Vega is a combined corporate, real estate and construction lawyer, while Elard Dianderas leads the firm's municipal regulation and administrative authorisation practice area.
Yuri Vega Mere
La Positiva Vida Seguros Y Reaseguros
Puerta De Hierro
Echevarría Izquierdo (Senda)
- Acted for La Llave on the sale of a $5.5m property in central Lima to Colonial del Perú.
- Represented Randstad Group Italia in the sale of offices located in Miraflores, Peru, to the company Lavoro Perú.
- Advised Skberge Peru on the $5.1m acquisition of land located at the intersection of Jr. Santorin and Cristobal de Peralta Norte, from seller Santorin Inmobiliaria.
Manuel Ugarte at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria has considerable experience in this arena, particularly in respect of project development, bringing in skills from his infrastructure practice. He led advice to Hexagrama 1 on land acquisition for a $60m, mixed-use project to construct a shopping centre, hotel, housing and offices. Other work includes the acquisition of rights over urban and rural lands, and financings and security for real estate projects, among other matters. Ugarte's team comprises five associates, including principal Aouda del Castillo who handles transactions and developmental matters.
‘The PPU real estate team has always helped us to quickly and practically realise the business opportunities that we have worked on with them.’
‘The plus is their practicality and ability to negotiate, added to a very deep knowledge of the market. They differ in that, without neglecting legal advice, the team becomes part of our team to achieve results. Stand out partner is Manuel Ugarte.’
Aspillaga Anderson Hermanos
Inversiones Sur y Orica Mining Services Perú
PricewaterhouseCoopers (Chile) / Concesionaria La Chira
Lima Airport Partners
V & V Grupo Inmobiliario Constructor
Inmobiliaria Boca Negra
Inversiones Vicca Verde
Arte Express y Compañía
- Advised Hexagrama 1 on the acquisition of a 7,200m² property in the district of Barranco for the development of a mixed-use project that will include the construction of a shopping centre, hotel and housing project and offices, connecting different areas of the district.
- Advised Orica Mining Services on the acquisition of a real estate lot (approx. 46 hectares) located in the district of Vegueta, Huaura, from the Ministry of Agriculture, in order to consolidate the company’s existing hodings.
- Advised Inversiones Sur on the closing of its joint venture agreement with CCLA (belonging to CIM and Compass real estate groups) to develop the first multi-family project in Lima.
Rubio Leguía Normand has a high-quality offering, its deal list evidence of a diverse practice ranging from land rights and sanitation for major projects through to transactions and representation before the National Superintendency of State Assets (SBN). The practice continues to grow under Franco Soria, who moved to the firm two years ago, and added Nexa Resources Perú and the Peruvian Army/Ministry of Defence as new clients last year. Soria is supported by four associates, including 'right hand' Rubén Quevedo.
‘Franco Soria and Rubén Quevedo stand out.’
‘Strengths: experience of the professional team; ability to formulate strategies; teamwork and quick response time. It compares favourably insofar as they have a team dedicated to the constant monitoring of each of the cases or projects and their speed of response.’
‘The specialisation of each team member stands out. They differ from other firms due to their speed and agility in responding to multiple customer requirements. Franco Soria, Alvaro de la Cotera and Renzo Lopez are recommended.’
‘They have experience and a good leader in Franco Soria. Soria is very skilled at solving problems in a comprehensive manner. They provide a range of options and paths to follow. Committed to obtaining results.‘
‘Franco Soria manages to turn difficult issues into practical solutions.’
‘The service is personalised and efficient. They definitely know the topics in depth so it gives me confidence to continue working with them. They are very friendly and respectful.’
‘They know the subject of land studies. Our lawyers are partner Franco Soria. and associate Renzo López.’
Petróleos del Perú – Petroperú
Tiendas del Mejoramiento Del Hogar/Sodimac–Maestro
Graña y Montero Petrolera
Enel Green Power Perú
Asociación Cultural Peruano Británico
Fondo Mi Vivienda
Empedrada Lodge. Caral-Peru
Nexa Resources Perú
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Ejército del Perú. Ministerio de Defensa
Empresa Municipal Inmobiliaria de Lima (EMILIMA)
Fenix Power Perú
- Advised Petroperú on obtaining the land rights necessary for ‘The Backup Power Line’, a transmission system that will interconnect the New Talara Refinery with the National Interconnected System (SEIN) at the Pariñas Substation.
- Advising Mall Aventura on the sanitation of a 42,000m² property in the Maynas province, Loreto Region, for the construction of the Aventura Plaza Iquitos Mall.
- Representing Minera Barrick Misquichilca before the National Superintendency of State Assets (SBN), regarding an easement on uncultivated state property for the development of the expansion of Lagunas Norte.
Real estate is a significant area of practice at Arbe Abogados, which attracts an impressive client base of developers, funds and real estate management companies. Transactions comprise the bulk of instructions handled by the practice and the firm notched up a credible deal list during the past year against the backdrop fo Covid-19. Head the team Francisco Gálvez combines real estate work with other areas of practice, including corporate and finance, and is assisted by two associates.
‘Strengths: they are fast, efficient and have good solutions.’
‘They are more personable and cordial than some other firms.’
Fundamenta Gestión Perú
Illusione Constructora e Inmobiliaria
VyV Grupo Inmobiliario
- Advising a real estate management company on the legal and tax structuring of a high-value project for the construction of a retail market.
- Advised a real estate and construction company on the legal structuring, financing and pre-operating expenses on its acquisition of a significant property.
- Acted for a real estate and construction services company on a multimillion-dollar property acquistion.
De Bracamonte - Haaker - Castellares
De Bracamonte - Haaker - Castellares has expertise across a range of property and land matters, including sales and acquisitions, project due diligence and trust structures for real estate development. It is also well placed to advise on real estate financing on both the lender and borrower side. The firm's founding partners Ricardo Manuel Haaker Yori and Christian Castellares Alfaro both advise in this arena, and lead a team of some 13 associates among whom are seniors Luis Fernando Edwards and Lorena Silva Osores, both praised by clients.
Ricardo Manuel Haaker Yori; Christian Castellares Alfaro
‘Strong points: its knowledge in the sector and proactivity, with agile solutions.‘
‘They are focused: they know what you need and propose different alternatives. Ricardo Haaker, Christian Castellares (partners) and Lorena Silva (associate) are recommended.’
Strategic Bank International
Grupo Su Ksa
Southern Bridge Capital
Fundo Doña Pancha
Midas El Golf
Activa Private Debt Perú (Larrain Vial)
Corporación Industrial del Norte
- Advised Southern Bridge Capital on the development of several due diligence reports for the development of various real estate projects located throughout Peru.
- Acted as legal advisor to Capital Center on the renegotiation of a lease agreement for thirteen real estate units in San Isidro, as a consequence of Covid-19.
- Advised Grupo Su Ksa on the urban habilitation of a property located in the Surquillo district worth approximately $6.7m.
While not a core area of practice at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados, the firm nonetheless has skill in property matters, particularly due diligence, and real estate financing and transactions. The versatile Alfredo Chan primarily advises on real estate investments, financings, property acquisition and construction contracts, alongside his M&A and arbitration practices, bringing those skills to the team. A handful of supporting associates include seniors Roberto Gutierrez, who advises on regulatory issues within real estate, and multi-focused Guillermo Arribas. Fibre-Prime is a key client.
Alfredo Chan; Giovanna García
‘We have discussed all our assignments with Guillermo Arribas, and the truth is that he has always helped us a lot in analysing the issues, not only from a legal perspective, but also from a business and commercial strategy perspective.’
‘Guillermo Arribas stands out for his experience in the market, his knowledge of the rules and the business, and his soft skills.’
‘It is a team with a very good disposition and availability, and promptly meets our requirements. Good command of the legal processes involved in real estate management.’
‘High speed of response; fluent communication; accurate conduct of legal processes.’
‘We consider that the teamwork at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Perez is one of the most solid when compared to other legal firms. The lawyers always know everything about our cases and are attentive to our requirements.’
‘Everyone in the firm is characterised by their values in professional ethics. We work mainly with partner Juan Jose Cauvi who has never stopped giving us reasonable and correct advice. He has a clear handling of the laws and their interpretation.’
‘Guillermo Arribas is an outstanding associate who has given us a lot of confidence and support with various contingencies that arose during the Covid-19 pandemic. He is very meticulous, successful, has a lot of initiative and a sense of practicality.‘
Afinmuebles / Talbot Hotels
- Conducted a due diligence review on behalf of Fibre–PRIME and advised on the acquisition of a 59,943m² of industrial property located close to a nature reserve in Lima.
- Advised Afinmuebles / Talbot Hotels on the sale and purchase agreement of an office tower within the business centre developed by Afinmuebles in the San Isidro district.
- Conducted a due diligence review on behalf of Fibre–PRIME and advised on the acquisition of 24,500m²of industrial property located in Villa el Salvador.
Top-ranked corporate lawyer Felipe Boisset at Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas also has real estate expertise, with a strong focus on property transactions. He takes the lead on all significant matters, with assistance from a trio of associates including experienced senior Fiorella Atoche, an M&A lawyer who has an increasing focus on real estate work. A growing client roster in this field includes new additions Gilberto Sarfaty and the shareholders of Inmobiliaria NR761, advising the latter on an option agreement for the acquisition of property for the development of a housing project in San Isidro.
‘It is a firm with a lot of knowledge of the sector and the current changes. They also know common market-practices.‘
‘Their main strength is the commitment with the client to reach the end of the deal, always.’
Owners of Edificio Aliaga 360
Owners of premises of Edificio Orquideas
Administradora Jockey Plaza Shopping Centre
Comercio y Servicios de la Selva
Shareholders of Inmobiliaria NR761
- Advised Grupo Patio on the $42m purchase of a future 12-story building for offices, commercial premises and parking lots (to be located in Las Camelias Avenue, San Isidro), from Fondo De Inversión En Bienes Raíces Larraín Vial–Colliers II.
- Advised the shareholders of Inmobiliaria NR761 on the negotiation and execution of an option agreement for the acquisition of a real estate property valued at $1.9m (approx.), for the development of a housing project in San Isidro.
- Acted for Comercio y Servicios De la Selva in the negotiation and execution of an option agreement for the sale of a real estate property in Bellavista, Callaoto to Inmobiliaria San José for the development of a housing project; purchase price approx. $7m.