One of the most respected teams on the market, Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International fields a heavyweight team of 20 lawyers led by high-profile litigator and arbitrator Ana Maria Arrarte. The team stands out for its strong constitutional litigation capability under deeply experienced Javier de Belaunde, while the practice shines in broader public law contentious matters generally. It is also distinguished for its expertise across regulated sectors, where partner Maria del Carmen Tovar Gil is highly rated; other, more specific areas of focus include energy, construction and public private partnerships. The team also has experience in arbitration under UNCITRAL and ICSID rules, as well as civil and commercial case in seats across South America, the US and Europe. The team is currently representing a construction company in a $480m international arbitration in Paris relating to a 40-year concession contract for the construction, operation and maintenance of highways in Lima city. Yvo Cuba completes the practice's four-partner complement; he is relationship partner to a number of key clients, representing them in both judicial proceedings and arbitration.
Dispute resolution in Peru
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Ana Maria Arrarte
‘Baker McKenzie’s arbitration and litigation team is highly qualified. The professional practice is sophisticated and at the same time comprehensive. The strengths that I have observed consist of their great preparation and mastery of the case and related matters. They always have resources with which to deal with unpredictable situations. There is a cohesive and very well organised team.’
‘Exceptional attention, they got involved in our case as if it were their own, soaking up the problems not only legal but also economic and technical, which gave us comprehensive and down-to-earth advice. Much experience and it shows in the negotiations.’
‘Ana Maria Arrarte and Hugo Alonzo are both of an excellent level in knowledge but also in disposition to assist us and get involved in our case. They always propose different scenarios prior to any step, which allowed us to foresee actions and take solutions, being one step ahead of the counterpart. They perfectly accommodated our way of working and our requests (elaboration of scenarios, outlining strategy). They understood not only the legal issues but also the economic and technical issues of our situation, which allowed them to give us a comprehensive vision.‘
‘Thoughtful and strategic team that anticipates every litigation move while also being conscious of cost.’
‘I have worked with Yvo Cuba and Enrique Johansen. Both strong litigators with knowledge of civil matters and experience in arbitration. Skilled at articulating litigation strategy.’
‘It compares favourably since they always have a business vision, not just a legal one.’
‘From my experience the lawyers who stand out in the firm and who have assisted us are: Yvo Cuba and Juan Carlos Moron. The main characteristic is that cases and previous experience are always referred to, which allows us to have various perspectives on what may happen. Also, from landing their recommendations to a business vision.‘
Azteca Comunicaciones Perú
Consortium Issomedic/Alegría Activity
Consorcio Italo Peruano
Comité de Operación Eléctrica del Sistema Interconectado Nacional (COES)
Concesionaria Vial del Sol
Ortiz Construcciones y Proyectos (Peru branch)
Metro de Lima Línea 2
Consorcio Chicago (FCC Construcción)
L’Oreal Perú, Procter & Gamble Perú, Unilever Andina Perú, Puig Perú, Beautyge Andina, Unique, Kera Cosmética, Natura Cosméticos, BFS Perú, Distribuidora las Poncianas, Ale LImposer, Unibell, Cosmotrade, Perfumerías Unidas, CETCO, Dupree Venta Directa, Olvi Global Company and Starbrands
Productos Tissue del Perú (Softys)
Consorcio Electrico de Villacuri
Telefónica Ingenieríá de Seguridad
- Acting for energy multinational Naturgy – which was formerly in charge of developing a natural gas distribution system by pipelines in the south west region of Peru under a concession agreement – in arbitration against the Peruvian State regarding a contract breach and end to the concession; case value in excess of $150m.
- Representing a significant construction company in a $480m international arbitration before the International Arbitration Chamber in Paris, relating to a high-profile, 40-year concession contract for the construction, operation and maintenance of highways in Lima.
- Representing Agroindustrial Laredo in major judicial cases involving property rights of its agriculture land (over 1500 acres), including one case with more than 20 claimants and concerning property of land and damages valued at $400m.
Truly elite in the disputes arena, Miranda & Amado acts for some of the country's largest homegrown and foreign enterprises on business-critical judicial proceedings and domestic and international arbitration. The firm offers almost unrivalled resources and deep expertise at partner level, particularly in practice head Mauricio Raffo, who stands out for his ability in regulatory litigation and arbitration. Together with talented junior partner Cristina Ferraro and prominent litigator and arbitrator Giovanni Priori, Raffo is leading advice in two high-value international arbitrations against the State: acting for Autopista del Norte in a $200m ICSID arbitration regarding delays to the construction of a major highway in northern Peru; and an ICC arbitration on behalf of Quanta Services following termination of its $100m contract to establish an internet access network, also in northern Peru. Completing the five-partner practice are international arbitration expert José Daniel Amado and Santiago Carrillo, who is relationship partner to a number of the department's most high-profile clients. A mighty 27-strong associate bench includes several experienced lawyers, including Carlos Glave, in demand on a number of key matters during the past year.
‘They are very solid in their strategy and argumentation.’
‘José Amado, Luis Alonso Navarro and José Luis Repetto are outstanding. There is a strong team, which can handle a large volume of cases, if necessary.‘
‘The practice is well organised and we have the personalised attention of the responsible partner, Mauricio Raffo, if this is needed for the case.‘
‘Mauricio Raffo is the partner responsible for our account. He has always been open and inclined to solve any impasse effectively.’
‘What differentiates them from the rest is based on having one of the most prominent lawyers in Peru, in this practice, Mauricio Raffo. The knowledge and thoroughness of Giovanni Priori, one of his partners, makes the balance tip in their favour when making hiring decisions.’
‘Giovanni Priori is recommended, as well as Rodrigo Molina for his involvement and commitment regarding our cases.’
‘Solid, experienced and reliable team.’
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao – Cálidda (Grupo Energía de Bogotá subsidiary)
Telefónica del Perú (TdP)
Tecnológica de Alimentos (TASA)
Autopista del Norte
Banco de la Nación
Banco de Crédito del Peru (BCP)
APM Terminals Callao
- Advising Autopista del Norte on ICSID arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Peru regarding delays to the construction of a major highway in northern Peru, valued at more than $200m.
- Representing international telecoms company Quanta Services in ICC arbitration against the Republic of Peru regarding the termination of a contract for the construction and set up of an internet access network in northern Peru for more than $100m.
- Advising Banco de la Nación in a $60m-plus damages claim regarding the termination of a software implementation contract.
A dominant force in all aspects of contentious work, Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados excels across the board of litigation, arbitration and white-collar crime. Multiple partners, each with specialist expertise, lead a deep associate bench which continued to expand in 2020/21 with further hires and promotions. However, pre-eminent arbitration expert Juan Guillermo Lohmann left the firm in December 2020 after 45 years to work as an independent consultant and arbitrator. The practice remains in demand for complex and market-critical matters, such as successfully acting for Luz del Sur in the Supreme Court in its challenge to the Ministry of Energy of Mines' law regarding electricity price regulation, the success of which impacted widely on the sector. The matter was led by Renzo Carrasco, who co-leads the litigation practice alongside Arturo Aza, both are highly experienced professionals in judicial procedures. Other prominent advisers of the practice include: market leader José Tam, who heads up the arbitration arm and overseas the entire disputes department; and leading white collar crime partner José Reaño. In this regard, the firm has a burgeoning corporate crime practice and acts for Telefónica del Perú, Pan American Silver Peru and BBVA Banco Continental, among others. Younger arbitration specialist Jorge Alvarado was made partner in December 2020.
José Tam; José Reaño; Arturo Aza; Renzo Carrasco
‘Excellent firm. Great depth and sophistication, very experienced at working with international parties and in English. They are among the top tier of law firms in Peru. Luis Bedoya brings wisdom and insight to his matters.’
‘Francisco Cardenas is analytically very strong and tremendously diligent.’
‘The team is very supportive and can understand the client’s needs as well as the technical issues that are related in many cases. Likewise, there is evidence of commitment and involvement with the client.‘
‘They are committed and follow-up on cases and concerns. The most prominent is Arturo Aza who does an exceptional job and denotes commitment to the client and their problems in litigation and others. Jorge Alvarado is also very supportive; he is in charge of specific but very important issues.’
‘They have a first-rate team with people with a great deal of experience in the monitoring of complex trials and high media and social relevance. The Rodrigo law firm has the best expert lawyers in Peru in matters of civil, criminal, constitutional and administrative litigation. They are always available and used to administer lawsuits of vital importance to us. Renzo Carrasco and his team are the best professionals in Peru for handling large-scale trials. Carrasco is an irreplaceable support for the legal handling of our litigation.’
‘Renzo Carrasco and his team are lawyers accustomed to administering trials of great economic impact and providing a comprehensive service in all the areas that make up the litigation. Assertive lawyers, highly trained and with knowledge of a depth far above average. Meticulous, attentive to new circumstances and always exploring various alternatives for the benefit of the client. Available 24/7.’
‘It has an interdisciplinary view of the cases, complementing the procedural law with the substantive part. They have a very powerful network of contacts with arbitrators abroad that allows disputes to be analysed in greater depth.‘
‘The versatility with which they explain cases and their persuasion. They have an ability to easily convey what can be a dry or technical issue. José Tam is the partner of the area, super committed to the work and Martin Chocano is an associate, both excellent professionals. In construction contracts, Hugo Silva for the substantive part of the disputes and contracting with the State; Carlos Carpio, who sees urban law and public law, contracting with the State. The civil part of the disputes is overseen by Francisco Cardenas, who is excellent.’
Eco Express Javier Prado
Luz del Sur
Compañía Minera Antamina
Southern Perú Copper Corporation Sucursal del Perú
Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde
Minera Chinalco Perú
Pan American Silver Perú
Telefónica del Perú
Hochschild Mining Peru
BBVA Banco Continental
Compañia Minera Antamina
Banco de Desarrollo de América Latina (CAF)
Pluspetrol Peru Corporation
Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras
Pan American Silver Peru
- Successfully represented Eco Express – a privately-owned company that provides mass public transportation services in Lima – in three arbitration proceedings against the Municipality of Lima which had declared the concession agreements executed with Eco Express null-and-void; total claim value: $60m.
- Successfully represented Luz del Sur in the Supreme Court on its challenge to a State law regarding the regulation of electricity prices.
- Acting for Consorcio Minero (in liquidation) in contentious administrative proceedings against SUNAT and the Tax Court for a tax calculation amounting to approximately $40m, based on an adjustment to the market value of CORMIN’s profit range by application of transfer pricing rules for the year 2009.
Bullard Falla Ezcurra Abogados
Top regulatory boutique Bullard Falla Ezcurra Abogados is a market leader in arbitration, where is handles international matters of the highest calibre and complexity in all arbitration arenas. Current mandates include an ICSID investment arbitration against the Peruvian state on behalf of a group of foreign investment companies, involving claims in excess of $280m. Other standout features of the eight-lawyer team include a focus on the economic as well as legal aspects of cases, and its strength in international arbitration, where the firm -impressively- is instructed on matters unconnected to Peru. At the helm, Alfredo Bullard is a pre-eminent practitioner and ICSID tribunal chairperson. He co-leads the team alongside Huáscar Ezcurra, revered in the market for his track record in national and international arbitration.
Alfredo Bullard; Huáscar Ezcurra
- Representing foreign investors in an investment arbitration against the Peruvian State before the ICSID, which involves claims above $280m.
- Representing a Dutch investor in the oil and gas sector in a consultations procedure initiated with Peru under the Peru-Netherlands BIT, prior to the request for arbitration under the ICSID Convention, due to certain measures taken by the oil and gas and environmental authorities, which constitute a breach of the BIT.
- Acting for a high-profile energy company with foreign capital, in an arbitration regarding the construction and development of a power plant, value in excess of $80m.
DLA Piper Perú provides a well-structured and full-service disputes' offering with extensive partner-level expertise. Its arbitration practice is split into two key areas: construction and projects' matters, led by experienced infrastructure partner Carlos Nuñez, and commercial arbitration, headed by litigator and arbitration specialist Guillermo Hesse. Hesse also leads the firm's in-demand litigation service, which handles constitutional and administrative disputes against State and local government entities, and has a growing caseload of contractual fall-out and real estate rights matters, currently. José Marcelo Allemant heads up the white-collar crime area and has notably specialised in the area for over 20 years, formerly running his own commercial penal boutique. Indeed, the disputes practice as a whole now boasts four partners since the promotion of Hernán Jordán in March 2021. A 13-strong associate pool provides a high standard of support.
Guillermo Hesse; Carlos Núñez; José Marcelo Allemant
‘Extremely technical writing and very strategic.’
‘They are strong in strategy and are always available to clarify any technical doubts or in-depth technical knowledge and debate in arbitration.’
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Convial Sierra Norte (Sacyr Concesiones)
Concesionaria Hidrovía Amazónica (Grupo Hidalgo & Hidalgo)
Construcoes e Comercio Camargo Correa
Concesionaria Interoceánica Sur Tramo 2
Lima Airport Partners
Obrascon Huarte Lain Sucursal del Perú (OHL)
- Advising Consorcio Huachipa -whose members are Construcoes e Comercio Camargo Correa, and OTV International Sucursal del Peru (part of Grupo Veolia)- in arbitration against Lima’s public water and sewerage entity SEDAPAL, before the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Acted for COFIDE, Peru’s Development Bank, in litigation where the Metropolitan Municipality of Lima intends to annul an agreement signed at the time with the operators of the Lima land transport system (COSAC I), alleging an illegal purpose and not following the formalities required by law.
- Advising Luis Ricardo Mendieta Manco, representative of the company Mercantil, regarding alleged criminal responsibility of Luis Roberto Anderson Villanueva for crimes against the public faith and where a criminal gang is being investigated.
Garrigues is a preferred choice of the State government and leading domestic and foreign companies for high-stakes international arbitration and judicial proceedings. It continues to defend Telefónica del Perú, for instance, in $70m debt-execution proceedings brought by Santa Graciela, having taken the case over from a competitor. The practice benefits from strong leadership in co-heads Hugo Forno Flórez and Melissa Nuñez Santti, who bring 35- and 17-years' experience, respectively, to the team. Forno Flórez is particularly skilled in negotiation and dispute prevention in critical cases. A junior bench of seven associates includes very experienced principal associate Javier Bueno Zúñiga, who has a growing practice in trials against Government entities, and senior associate Javier Jimeno Goicochea.
Hugo Forno Flórez; Melissa Núñez Santti
‘Garrigues meets all our objectives: a deep knowledge of the law, regulations and standards related to the matters they are going to advise on, as well as a solid training and impeccable reputation and track record. They inspire trust as well as provide it since this is one of the most important pillars to maintain this type of relationship. Finally, they are involved with the vision and mission of the business in order to be able to provide the appropriate solutions.’
‘They differ in availability and legal creativity in the solutions provided. In the proposed topics they are the best in the market, they have the legal prestige that gives them an important strength and it is a firm that cares about the client, and they say what must necessarily be indicated. In addition, they are very clear in the economic proposals of their services. All this generates a lot of confidence.‘
Republic of Peru
Telefónica del Perú
Andean Telecom Partners Perú
Veolia Servicios Perú
Peruana de Moldeados
Sociedad de Beneficencia del Cusco
Rentaequipos Leasing Peru
- Defending Viva GyM in a lawsuit filed by Aeroclub del Peru requesting the annulment of the sale of properties owned by the Peruvian Government, to be used for the construction of an important social real estate project for the country.
- Defence of Telefónica del Perú in a long-running dispute, now at a critical stage of debt-execution proceedings filed by construction company Santa Graciela, value $70m.
- Representing Andean Telecom Partners Perú (ATP), as plaintiff, in a judicial process against municipal entities following their decision to deny the permit for the installation of communication towers.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados has a busy practice of litigation and arbitration matters on behalf of major domestic and international companies. The firm stands out for its versatility and broad spectrum of disputes, from tax litigation to product liability. It benefits from senior leadership in the experienced Fernando Meléndez, who is ably supported at partner level by Edwin Pezo and Ericka Angulo.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is equally adept in litigation and arbitration, attracting an extensive and well-balanced caseload in both areas, comprising civil, commercial, administrative and white-collar crime disputes. The team is also in demand for high-stakes corporate and shareholder conflicts, as well as enforcement actions against regulatory bodies. It continues to act for Scotiabank Peru in judicial proceedings against the Peurvian Tax Authority regarding a disputed $150m tax demand. The matter is led by well-known trial lawyer and co-head of the practice Julio César Pérez, assisted by principal associate Luis Bustamante and senior associate Alessandra Mendoza, both members of a well-trained, 13-strong, associate bench. On the arbitration side, practice co-head Mario Reggiardo leads on international matters for some major companies, often assisted by standout principal associate Mayra Bryce.
Julio César Pérez; Mario Reggiardo
‘I believe that the team provides a comprehensive service and is capable of responding and reacting at the speed that the client demands. Given the business of our company, we can require jobs or make requests that require attention in a few hours, sometimes minutes and they have always been able to respond not only quickly but correctly. The response capacity is mainly due to the level of involvement of all the team members who know the details of each assigned case very well.’
‘I emphasise the work of Micaela Ortiz and Luis Bustamante: I have nothing but praise for their participation and involvement, attention to detail and in-depth knowledge of the cases. For cases of all levels, from the most complex to the relatively simple, they are capable of responding to all types of requirements.’
‘The team at Estudio Payet, Rey Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is characterised by having professionals committed to their clients whom they constantly support in their judicial processes, adding to the fact that they provide viable solutions (with sufficient legal support) as well as within reasonable prices.’
‘The PRCP team is always at the disposal of its clients. They answer your calls and offer the best facilities to answer your questions within a minimum period of time. I must highlight as outstanding Julio César Pérez (partner), must mention the support of Micaela Ortiz and Lucho Bustamante, both principal associates of the firm.’
Rover Alcisa Perú (Grupo Rover)
Enel Generación Perú
- Advised Scotiabank Perú in judicial proceedings to nullify a resolution of the Peruvian Tax Authority that illegally requires the payment of $150m based on the application of an irregular interest rate.
- Advising an international company on a consultation procedure on an international trade agreement prior to initiating an ICSID arbitration.
- Advising a construction company on an arbitration regarding the breach of a construction subcontract.
With capability across the board of litigation, arbitration and white-collar crime, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria attracts an extensive roster of high-profile clients, including Telefónica del Perú, Fenix Power and Latam Airlines Perú. The practice continues to develop its international arbitration experience, particularly in the construction sector: it is currently acting on a $245m arbitration before the ICC International Court of Arbitration on behalf of an international construction company against a Peruvian sub-contractor. The litigation practice has also been in demand during the past year, most notably in constitutional matters related to Covid-19. The experienced Ramiro Portocarrero and more junior Sebastián Basombrio, who made partner in 2020, co-lead the practice and are both litigators and arbitration practitioners; Daniel Ramos is director of the firm's burgeoning white-collar crime unit.
Ramiro Portocarrero; Sebastian Basombrío; Daniel Ramos
Andina de Radiodifusión
Autopista del Norte
Azucarera El Ingenio
Centro Empresarial El Derby
Concesionaria Vial del Perú
Doe Run Perú en Liquidación
Fenix Power Perú
Hitachi Rail STS/Hitachi Train Italy
Latam Airlines Perú
Telefónica del Perú
- Representing an international construction company involved in a brownfield project in Peru in an international arbitration commenced by a subcontractor for more than $245m.
- Representing an international construction company in arbitration against the Peruvian Water Auhtority in relation to the extra costs caused by Covid-19 in excess of $40m and EOT claims arising from constructive interferences concerning the building of a Water Treatment Plant.
- Acting for a highway concessionaire in negotiations with the Transport Authority for damages of over $20m due to delays caused by the authority.
Benites, Vargas & Ugaz
Benites, Vargas & Ugaz continues to grow its civil and commercial arbitration practice, the firm already a market-leader in white-collar crime. Constitutional disputes is another area of expertise under Víctor García Toma, former president of the Constitutional Court, an area where the firm has been in high demand during the past year due to challenges to new laws enacted in response to the pandemic. The team is handling a growing caseload of litigation and arbitration on behalf of well-known domestic companies and has expanded as a result, promoting Diego Martínez Villacorta and Ricardo Carrillo Garrat to the partnership in February 2021 and recruiting at associate level from tier one firms. The firm's pro bono activities deserve special mention, always prolific but particularly active this year, representing protestors detained or missing following recent pro-democracy marches.
Víctor García Toma; Diego Martínez
‘There is close coordination between the different areas when a case warrants it. It is an advantage that, in addition to specific areas of expertise, they have a very solid area of litigation (procedural), with experience.‘
Telefónica del Perú
Petróleos del Perú
Banco Internacional del Perú
Gilat Networks Perú
Asociación de Bancos (ASBANC)
CFG Investment (COPEINCA)
Lima Airport Partners
Asociación de Instituciones Educativas Privadas del Perú (ASIEP) and seven other Asociaciones
Agrícola la Venta
Universidad Científica del Sur
Federación de Instituciones Educativas de Educación Superior
- Defending state-owned oil producer and distributor Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú) in a constitutional process initiated by the Achuar, an indigenous Amazonian community, regarding the exploitation rights held by the client over on oil lot located in Achuar territory in Peru’s Amazonian jungle.
- Representing the Association of Banks of Peru (ASBANC), which groups the banks and private financial institutions of Peru, in its action against new interest rate laws proposed by the State government in response to Covid-19.
- Representing a company from the agribusiness sector in a high-value arbitration concerning disputed land.
Hernández & Cía. Abogados has a busy caseload of international and domestic arbitration, judicial matters and a thriving white-collar crime practice. Significantly, it is handling two ICSID arbitrations on behalf of the State government, one of which concerns the $3.9bn concession to build and operate Lima Metro Line 2. Co-head of the disputes practice Jorge Luis Zubiate is an experienced litigator and arbitration partner, while fellow head Gonzalo del Río leads the white-collar crime area and has a strong track-record in high-profile criminal defence and crisis management. The partnership team was boosted to three in March 2021 with the hire of Caterina Miró Quesada from the Washington DC office of White & Case LLP, where she was an international associate. She joins as co-head of the arbitration practice alongside Zubiate, with a focus on international investment arbitration.
Jorge Luis Zubiate; Caterina Miró Quesada Gonzalo del Río
‘Personalised attention to their clients, availability and they proactively seek solutions.’
‘Jorge Luis Zubiate is an excellent partner, with extensive knowledge and above all, someone able to adequately and easily present alternatives and recommendations.’
‘Experience, strategy and preparation.’
‘They are attorneys with extensive knowledge and experience in litigation.’
‘Jorge Luis Zubiate is one of the most recognised trial lawyers.’
‘A very analytical team. Very dedicated to fulfilling the assignment successfully.’
The Republic of Peru – Ministry of Transportation
- Acting for the Republic of Peru’s Ministry of Transportation in an ICSID international arbitration brought by Sociedad Concesionaria Metro de Lima Línea 2 for damages due to breach of its $3.9bn contract.
Leading insurance firm Osterling Abogados has a busy caseload on behalf of domestic and international insurers, as well as public and private companies particularly from the mining, energy, construction and real estate industries. With three partners at the helm, and 13 associates in support, the team is very well resourced and handles a broad mix of arbitration and litigation. Firm senior partner Enrique Ferrando is a market-leader in insurance conflicts as both defence counsel and arbitrator; Mauricio Martínez specialises in civil, procedural and constitutional litigation; and Gabriel Loli continues to build his arbitration practice with a focus on insurance, reinsurance, construction and engineering.
Enrique Ferrando; Mauricio Martínez; Gabriel Loli
‘The team has excellent strength-in-depth and quality in both litigation and arbitration. They are very good to work with and are amongst the best firms in Peru. They have expertise in acting in high value and complex disputes. They are also used to working on matters with an international element.’
‘Gabriel Loli is a joy to work with. He is very user-friendly and produces effective, commercial and strategic advice for clients. Gabriel also ensures he remains in command of the documents and drives matters forward. Enrique Ferrando is a brilliant advocate and cross examiner who is highly respected by arbitrators. Katherine Reyes Fernandes is a good, enthusiastic associate who works well with the wider team. Dani Garces is a diligent junior.‘
La Positiva Seguros y Reaseguros
Inversiones Castelo Branco
Rimac Seguros & Reaseguros
Inmobiliaria Santa Felicia
Constructora CMC en liquidación
Cung & Tong Ingenieros
Imagina Grupo Inmobiliario
Clyde & Co
Cobra Instalaciones y Servicios
Federación Peruana de Fútbol
- Represented Inversiones Castelo Branco in two legal actions brought against SIGSAC for the irregular possession of two facilities located in the industrial zone of Lima.
- Defending leading insurance company Rimac Seguros y Reaseguros in an arbitration in which a private electric power distribution company claims failure to comply with the payment of a $30m indemnity resulting from a loss occurred during the construction of an underground hydroelectric power plant in Cuzco, Peru.
- Represented Inmobiliaria Santa Felicia in two legal actions filed against the City Council of Lima and the Ministry of Housing, respectively, claiming recognition of the violation of their ownership rights and the payment of updated fair value corresponding to two pieces of land that were illegitimately confiscated from them.
Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas compliments its first-rate corporate and finance practices with an effective disputes offering and is particularly strong in white-collar crime. The firm boasts two experienced partners for corporate crime matters in Augusto Loli and Hector Gadea Benavides, who act for the likes of Telefónica del Perú, Credicorp and Banco de Crédito del Perú in cases of money laundering, fraud or administrative offences, for instance. Roger Zavaleta Rodríguez leads the firm's civil and commercial litigation and arbitration practice and is noted for its capability in regulatory disputes. However, his former fellow co-head, Rodrigo Urrutia Macchiavello departed for Campos | Arbitraje e Infraestructura in December 2020 after just a year at the firm.
Roger Zavaleta Rodríguez; Augusto Loli; Hector Gadea
‘My contact is exclusively with the lawyer Hector Gadea. I am very satisfied with his the work.’
‘Adequate design of defence strategies. Speed and knowledge of the subject by Roger Zavaleta.‘
Susana De La Puente
Banco Agropecuario and Corporación Financiera de Desarrollo
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Consorcio Ica Segura
Altima Global Special Situations Master Fund
Compañía Peruana de Radiodifusión (América Televisión – Channel 4)
Aspíllaga Anderson Hermanos
Telefónica del Perú
Empresa Nacional de Ferrocarriles en Liquidación.
Sura Asset Management Perú
- Successfully represented Banco Agropecuario (Agrobanco) and Corporación Financiera de Desarrollo (COFIDE) in an $87m arbitration against Cultivos Ecológicos and its guarantors.
- Acting for represents Telefónica in a $20m dispute against labour unions.
- Representing Aspíllaga Anderson Hermanos in a judicial claim against Agrícola Cerro Prieto related to the expropriation of several properties (farms) during the Peruvian ‘Agrarian Reform’.
Continuing to grow its market share and profile, even during the pandemic months, Rodríguez Angobaldo Abogados is rapidly becoming one of the most successful dispute resolution boutiques in the country. As well as recent expansion at associate level, the firm hired new partner Ursula Caro from Rubio Leguía Normand in November 2020, although in a revolving door scenario, insurance litigation partner Alvaro Bonilla left the firm to establish his own practice. Nonetheless, the resulting team of five full-time disputes partners is matched by few firms. Managing partner Fernando Rodriguez Angobaldo and fellow partner Jaime Heredia are both well-known litigators and arbitration strategists.
Fernando Rodríguez Angobaldo; Jaime Heredia; Enrique Varsi; Adolfo Pinillos
‘It is a balanced team, its strength lies in the fact that they have experienced professionals in the field of procedural law and also very prominent professionals in substantive and academic law. ‘
‘Outstanding partners are Ursula Caro (great experience in litigation), Enrique Varsi (very academic and knowledgeable in civil and commercial law), Jaime Heredia (excellent procedural experience in theory and practice), and the leader Fernando Rodríguez Angobaldo. A prominent associate that I have been able to observe is Claudia García Bustamante.’
‘Highly trained lawyers specialised in civil and commercial law litigation. Fernando Rodríguez, Jaime Heredia and Victor Olivares stand out.’
‘I work with the team led by Jaime Heredia. They are very professional and have excellent case management. We are really very satisfied with their work and commitment. The quality/price ratio is unbeatable.’
‘Jaime Heredia has a lot of experience and an excellent handling of cases. Diego Arce Santivanez is an associate to follow. Marco Torres, is another associate with a great future.’
‘The practice has a very personalised touch with Adolfo Pinillos as the practice leader. The good thing about the team is that you have a partner who soaks up all the materials and knows absolutely every angle of the case. He is a very skilled person technically and also has a very good command of how the courts work. The truth is that it is a firm with little rivalry in Peru.’
‘Adolfo Pinillos is the partner responsible for litigation and arbitration. I am working on a case with him and it is a real pleasure. Knows every detail of the case and is very fine legally.’
‘They are very detailed and experts in the processes they handle. Their ease of understanding the business and identifying contingencies are very good.’
Clínica Delgado (Grupo Auna)
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Sociedad Agrícola San Augustín (SASA)
Rimac Seguros y Reaseguros
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Banco de la Nación
- Assisted Banco de Crédito del Perú in a dispute regarding the recovery of a property taken from them through fraud in a bankruptcy claim, and providing ongoing assistance in a case against OAS (a Brazilian company implicated in the Lava Jato investigations in Peru) involving approximately $20m of debt.
- Successfully represented Lagunas del Peru in an arbitration against the District Municipality of San Bartolo concerning a trust agreement for the execution of the Aqua San Bartolo real estate project.
- Defending Plasticos Nacionales in a damages claim filed by competitor Europlast, asserting that the client had copied the design of a plastic container generating confusion in the market.
Rubio Leguía Normand handles litigation and arbitration at both domestic and international levels, drawing some impressive clients, including the Peruvian State government. Bruno Marchese, described as ‘just wow!‘, is the driving force of the practice and brings over thirty years’ experience to the team, leading on all key matters. He is supported by new hire, consultant Giancarlo Celis, who joined from BBGS Abogados in May 2021; and a very capable junior bench that includes senior associate Anghelo Olarte and another recent recruit, Álvaro Palao, formerly of Estudio Olaechea. However, experienced seniors Ursula Caro and Alessandra Cocchella left the firm for Rodríguez Angobaldo Abogados (November 2020) and CMS Grau (May 2021), respectively.
‘The RLN team shows a high level of commitment to the interests of the client and therefore they closely monitor the issues in their charge. One strength is the direct involvement of its partners in the most delicate processes, as this ensures a high level of quality. I consider that RLN compares very favourably with other teams.’
‘Bruno Marchese is a person who knows the legal aspects perfectly, both procedural and civil. We have absolute confidence in Bruno and in some way he is our head lawyer in procedural matters. Alessandra Cochela is an expert in constitutional processes, who has been very successful in the cases we have entrusted to her.’
Americas Potash Peru
Andean Telecom Partners Peru (previouslyTorres Unidas)
Anglo American Quellaveco
Cinemark del Perú
Citybike – San Isidro
Condominio La Quebrada Cieneguilla
Consorcio Minero Horizonte
Costa Del Sol Group
Empresa de Vigilancia y Control
Huawei del Perú
La Positiva Seguros y Reaseguros
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Minera Chinalco Peru
Oficina de Normalización Previsional (ONP)
Pacifico Compañìa de Seguros y Reaseguros
Petroleos del Peru
Servicio de Agua Potable y Alcantarillado De Lima (SEDAPAL)
The Republic of Peru
- Continuing to represent the Peruvian State government in a claim brought by Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings requesting the payment of the ‘Agrarian Reform Bonds’ for an approximate value of $1.6bn.
- Successfully defended Costa Del Sol Group in domestic arbitration against a construction company concerning the construction contract for the first mall and hotel in Tumbes.
- Representation of Anglo American Quellaveco on various actions conducted by third parties seeking to challenge certain State authorisations and permits given for the development of the Quellaveco Mining Project, recently securing two important favourable judgments for the client.
Amprimo, Flury, Barboza & Rodríguez Abogados. fields a very experienced team, with partners Natale Amprimo Plá and Eduardo Barboza, both litigators and arbitrators, specialising in a broad spectrum of commercial, civil and administrative conflicts. They lead a ten-strong advisory team comprising four partners in total. Carlos Rodríguez and Jaime Miranda complete the partnership line-up and are noted for their respective administrative disputes and contentious real estate expertise. Clients of the practice include Samsung, Kallpa Generación and ICBC Peru Bank.
Natale Amprimo; Eduardo Barboza
‘The quality of the work of both Eduardo Barboza and Jaime Miranda is excellent. The performance of both partners is outstanding.’
Corporacion Aceros Arequipa
ICBC Peru Bank
Altames Perú (subsidiary of Disano Illuminazione)
Minera Aurífera Retamas
Laboratorios AC Farma
Consorcio Union Barranco
Consorcio Transmantario (Grupo Isa Colombia)
Lima Vías Express (Grupo Express De Colombia)
- Defending Constructora Las Pampas De Siguas in arbitration following proceedings commenced by subcontrator EXYM for alleged damages following the suspension of a work contract related to an irrigation project in Peru.
- Advised Inmobiliaria Quiñones in respect of two arbitrations -one before the Lima Chamber of Commerce, the other administrative- in relation to two separate lease agreements.
- Defending Samsung in a $15m claim brought by retailers Tottus and Saga, relating to alleged debt owed as a result of breaches of trade agreements.
Regulatory and arbitration boutique Baxel Consultores reports an uptick in instructions, including matters of increasing magnitude in both monetary and complexity terms. Clients include some high-profile public and private entities, particularly from regulated industries such as telecoms, transport, and oil and gas. The entrepreneurial team of three partners, backed by associates, economists and psychologists, comprises: Juan Chang Tokushima, who focuses on regulatory, competition and administrative litigation and arbitration; constitutional and arbitration specialist Raffo Velasquez Melendez and Mario Drago Alfaro, who also has a strong competition focus.
Juan Chang Tokushima; Raffo Velasquez Melendez; Mario Drago Alfaro
‘Their broad command and knowledge on the matters consulted, stands out.’
‘Raffo Velasquez has great ability to communicate the legal position that he considers most advisable, direct contact and with great availability and customer service.‘
‘A young firm, but with the advantage that the partners deal directly with matters.’
‘Juan Chang and Raffo Velasquez are on top of their clients’ affairs.’
‘Rafael Velasquez, partner in the litigation and arbitration area of the firm, has vast experience in the matter and a lot of academic prestige.’
‘Despite being young, the team has a lot of experience in complex cases and has managed to gain an important prestige in the sector. I would highlight the partners Rafael Velasquez and Chsritian Chavez.’
‘Baxel attorneys are very good compared to their competitors in the market. In the short time they have been in the market, they have excelled significantly. Their best skills consist of detailed handling of the facts of their cases and the ability to convey their position in written and oral form.’
‘Christian Chavez and Juan Chang are the leaders of the practice and are the best in the market. While Chavez has a lot of practice in antitrust, he is also very skilled at arbitration disputes; Chang, for his part, is very good at oil and gas controversies, both of them have very important common sense in determining the best strategy for their cases. Mario Drago, also a partner in both practices, antitrust and arbitration, is very good and is one of the best at reading his audience, he knows how to face the questions of the court very well, managing to convey his case in the best way. Jorge López is a senior associate with an international practice that has also been emerging little by little.’
- Successfully representing a domestic oil and gas company in its claim seeking the recovery of rented oil and gas infrastructure due to unpaid rent.
- Advising a client that manages sports stadia in domestic arbitration with local government concerning alleged land appropriation.
- Advised a public sector transport company on an audit of all its current arbitration cases to propose forward strategy.
CAMPOS | Arbitraje e Infraestructura
Construction boutique Campos | Arbitraje e Infraestructura is a leader in arbitration in this sector, regularly opposing State and local government on behalf of construction companies and developers contracted for significant building and infrastructure projects across Peru. The pandemic further aggravated the already troubled construction and infrastructure sector, creating conflict but significantly increasing work for the firm; in response it recruited at partner and associate level. Practice head Alexander Campos is well-known in both domestic and international arbitration forums and also acts as arbitrator. He welcomed new partner Rodrigo Urrutia to the firm as practice co-head in December 2020, hired from Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas.
Alexander Campos; Rodrigo Urrutia
‘The team is always available and have a lot of experience. They easily understand the problems.’
‘In Alex Campos they have an optimal strategist. Optimal general vision of the answer and easy intuition of the problem to later develop a strategy.’
‘There is continuous communication and everything is recorded for the best use of the information.’
‘What stands out the most is the availability (practically 24 hours), the effort to make technical issues as clear as possible and to find the best strategy. Carlos Diez Contreras is the lawyer with whom I talk about everything and he is always ready and aware of all the details, I fully trust his work.’
‘Young, innovative team, led by Alex Campos, who is experienced. Personalised attention that seeks to break the mold and is innovative.’
‘Carlos Diez is the person with whom we have the most contact, in addition to Alex Campos. Always ready to support and answer any questions, meeting deadlines and looking for alternatives.’
‘Strengths include: knowledge about the specialty, availability, active listening and a high capacity for analysis.‘
‘Alex Campos Medina (partner) provides an excellent service and is fully available to the client, issuing clear recommendations to follow. Associate Carlos Diez Contreras has vast experience in construction and conflict management.‘
Mota Engil Peru
Constructora San Jose
Aldesa Construcciones (sucursal del Peru)
Copisa Constructora Piranaica (sucursal del Peru)
Astaldi (sucursal del Perú)
Sacyr Construccion (sucursal del Peru)
- Representing Consorcio Obrainsa Astaldi (joint venture of Astaldi – sucursal del Perú and Obras de Ingenieria) in four arbitrations against the entity of the Regional Government of Piura in charge of the ‘Alto Piura’ project, a hydroelectric and irrigation project in northern Peru, regarding several issues that arose during the project’s execution.
- Representing Consorcio Vial Santa Rosa (a joint venture of Mota Engil Perú, Constructora Oas Sucursal del Perú and Constructora Upaca) in arbitration against the Peruvian government related to the consequences of El Niño Costero natural disaster on the execution of a road that connects the Lima and Canta provinces.
- Acting for Constructora San Jose in an arbitration against the Peruvian government derived from the contract for the construction of an important highway in Puno; during the works several issues arose causing the contract termination.
Caro & Asociados
The exponential rise of corporate criminal investigations has raised the profile of white-collar crime practices in Peru and leading boutique Caro & Asociados enters the ranking as a result. Led by Dino Carlos Caro Coria, one of the most high-profile corporate crime lawyers in the country, the firm acts for leading companies across a range of industries. He is supported by a large team of associates, among whom Luis Miguel Reyna Alfaro and María Alejandra Quintana Gallardo co-lead the practice and many of the key mandates.
Dino Carlos Caro Coria; Luis Miguel Reyna Alfaro; María Alejandra Quintana Gallardo
‘Carlos is the cornerstone of the studio. His macro vision and objectivity are important. He inspires calm and confidence, knows his job and his team is very thorough in its work.’
‘Carlos Caro is excellent, which brings a lot of peace of mind. He is an expert in his specialty.’
Compañía Minera Volcan
Goldfields La Cima
Sociedad Aeroportuaria Kuntur Wasi
Banco Internacional del Perú – Interbank (Grupo Intercorp)
Obrascón Huarte Lain S.A. – Sucursal del Perú
- Successfully defended a construction/engineering company against criminal charges of collusion, money laundering and fraud, amounting so several million dollars.
- Reached a settlement on behalf of a mining company with respect to charges of environmental pollution.
- Representing a mining company on charges of obtaining illicit profits from illicit mining activities.
Luis Alberto Liñán is an experienced litigator at CMS Grau and leads a team of five associates on a broad caseload of civil, commercial, constitutional and administrative litigation. The practice is particularly strong in mining, energy and real estate disputes, traditional strengths of the firm, but is also highly capable in more ad hoc conflict work that is supplied through the firm’s extensive international network. Associates Luis Miguel Manrique Ruesta and Nicolás Carrión are regular advisers on key mandates; however, Paloma Baca Reaño left the firm in May 2021, since when - in July- the firm has hired senior Alessandra Cocchella from Rubio Leguía Normand.
Luis Alberto Liñan
‘Active listening and customer treatment that raise the quality of the service.’
‘Luis Alberto is a person who adapts to the needs of his client and achieves the objectives of his client.’
Petróleos del Perú (PetroPerú)
Graña y Montero Petrolera
Minera las Bambas
Compañia de Minas Buenaventura
Gold Fields La Cima
Banco de Crédito del Peru
Franquicias Alimentarias (TGI Friday’s)
- Advising Minera Las Bambas on several cases, including a contentious administrative lawsuit against OEFA due to an illegal mandate to modify the Environmental Impact Study of the company to include the Apurimac-Cusco road corridor as a mining component.
- Adivising Panoro Apurimac in three legal proceedings concerning: (i) the ownership of the property where the mining deposit is located; (ii) an indemnity for the use of it; and (iii) a nullity process in which the extension of the property is argued.
- Advising an international client on the enforcement of a favourable arbitration award in excess of $50m.
Dentons Peru attracts high-profile clients and matters, such as Arcos Dorados, franchisee of McDonald's stores in 20 countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, which it is advising on health and safety/corporate crime proceedings following the death of two workers, attracting widespread media attention. Other key clients of the versatile practice include Backus AB Inbev and Empresa Ariana Operaciones Mineras. Lead partner Claudio Cajina handles a broad mix of arbitration, commercial and administrative litigation, constitutional actions and criminal work.
‘They are people who clearly answer the issues entrusted to them, they express their legal and judicial opinions with certainty. They bring prestige.’
‘I believe that the Dentons litigation area has a practical and creative approach. The partners and advisers use friendly language and focus on understanding the business and the origin of the events that give rise to possible litigation of the companies, in order to structure the appropriate strategy that is most recommended for the client.’
‘My work experience with Dentons has been mainly with Jose Miguel Cárdenas and Claudio Cajina. Jose Miguel is distinguished mainly by his great capacity for analysis, excellent judgment and legal knowledge. He is a very versatile and very empathetic lawyer. Claudio Cajina is a very good strategist, which is vital when you need the advice of a litigation or arbitration lawyer. ‘
Backus AB Inbev
Empresa Ariana Operaciones Mineras
Rutas de Lima
Agricola La Venta
Sociedad Agricola Coscalla
Inversiones San Borja
Aeropuertos del Perú
Compañía Minera Condestable
Fresenius Medical Care del Perú
- Acting for Empresa Ariana Operaciones Minera, owner of the ‘Ariana’ mining project, in proceedings commenced by congressmen and an NGO alleging potential contamination of drinking water, despite the $200m project having been approved by the Ministry of Energy and Mines.
- Representing Arcos Dorados (McDonald’s) in high-profile health and safety proceedings following the death of two workers.
- Representing Backus AB InBev in potentially high-value proceedings against the Peruvian tax authority (SUNAT) relating to tax, interest and fines.
García Sayán Abogados has a significant following among mining, energy and heavy industry companies, which it represents in a broad range of litigation but particularly regarding land rights, contractual disputes and debt recovery. Javier Villa Garcia leads on the vast number of mandates, including representing trophy client Compañia De Minas Buenaventura and its subsidiaries in various high-value disputes, such as land ownership and possession rights. He is supported as co-head of the practice by experienced senior associate Carlos Chavez, recently appointed as an arbitrator at the Lima Chamber of Commerce.
Javier Villa Garcia; Carlos Chavez
‘Highly-qualified, professionally and ethically. Experienced with a lot of knowledge of the sector. They provide very high quality advice, with excellent results for our company.’
‘Experience and efficiency when providing their services. Excellent service at a reasonable price. Much knowledge of the matter in litigation, excellent conduct in the courts and all positive results in favour of our company.‘
Compañia De Minas Buenaventura and subsidiaries
Grupo Cencosud: Cencosud Retail Peru, Tres Palmeras, Cinco Robles and Cencosud Peru
Grupo Volcan: Volcan Compañía Minera, Empresa Administradora Cerro and Compañía Minera Chungar
Grupo Nexa: Nexa Resources Peru, Nexa Resources Cajamarquilla Minera Pampa De Cobre, Nexa Resources Atacocha and Nexa Resources El Porvenir
Sociedad Nacional De Industrias (SNI)
Grupo Savia (Offshore Exploration & Production)
Schlumberger Del Perú
Agrofoods Central Valley Chile
- Representing the entire Cencosud Group in more than 25 civil and commercial judicial processes related to real estate, indemnifications, enforcement of contracts and nullities of administrative resolutions.
- Acting for APM Edificaciones in a claim against the San Martin de Porres Private University regarding monies owed following construction of the main institutional campus.
- Acting for several companies of the Buenaventura Group in multiple judicial processes where the right of ownership and/or possession of large areas of land adjacent or superimposed on mining concessions granted in favour of companies is in dispute.
Kennedys is building an effective disputes practice, boosted by the arrival in 2020 of litigator Kodiak Semsch Gutierrez and his team from Osterling Abogados. While the leading insurance firm handles high-value disputes on behalf of a client base of premium domestic and international insurers and reinsurers, it also advises clients from other sectors on a wider range of matters, including land disputes and administrative proceedings, for example. The team further benefits from input from partners Marco Rivera and Fernando Hurtado de Mendoza.
Kodiak Semsch Gutiérrez; Marco Rivera Noya
‘They capture very well the needs and work instructions. There is an excellent disposition to meet the requirements.’
‘The collaboration and empathy generated make them different from other law firms. They quickly understand what you are looking for and are very efficient when preparing documents.’
Rimac Seguros y Reaseguros
Noriega Family Group
Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
Piaggio Family Group
Pacífico Compañía De Seguros
- Advising Pacífico Compañía De Seguros and reinsurers in a claim brought by Empresa De Generación Electrica Río Baños and Sindicato seeking damages to their hydropower plant, allegedly generated by an event linked to the El Niño phenomenon that affected the Peruvian coast.
- Acting for Wunderman Thompson (formerly J. Walter Thompson Peruana), AIG and Chubb NY regarding a $12m claim filed by the Peruvian government (Ministerio de Cultura) against siad companies and another nine defendants regarding damage to the ‘Intihuatana’ stone (Machu Pichu Sun Dial) caused by the impact of a crane while filming a TV commercial.
- Advising the Piaggio Family Group in a constitutional claim against the Peruvian State demanding compensation for an illegal expropriation of 19,000-hectares of real estate on the northern coast of Peru, by the Ministry of Agriculture in 1979, approximate value of the claim: $50m
Estudio Linares Abogados
Fielding a well-resourced team of five partners and ten associates, disputes boutique Estudio Linares Abogados is best-known for its white-collar crime work, but has a growing caseload of high-profile commercial, civil and administrative disptues. Handling both litigation and arbitration, the firm acts for some well-known companies across the construction, energy and hospitality sectors in particular. Key figures include joint heads of practice Daniel Linares Aviléz, a conciliator and arbitrator, and white-collar crime specialist Augusto Linares Muñoz; while among the associate pool, Héctor Campos García shines for his regular appearance in lead matters.
Daniel Linares Avilez; Augusto Linares Muñoz
‘Their experience and good judgment are great differentiators with respect to the litigation teams of other firms.’
‘Daniel Linares is a solid and experienced litigator. He is pragmatic and realistic. He is also a very good strategist and empathic.’
‘Good availability and prompt attention of matters.‘
‘Daniel Linares is a partner who is always willing to answer questions, be they simple or complex, he has a very good disposition and we can always locate him. He attends to our questions thoroughly and quickly.’
‘Great capabilities to understand clients’ needs.‘
‘Daniel Linares Aviles has great availability and total engagement with the projects.’
‘It is a highly specialised litigation team and its competitive advantage is that it delivers on its promise: when they tell you that you are going to win, you win. An experienced team. Very involved in the media in litigation issues.‘
- Acting for a foreign-owned energy company in a significant value arbitration concerning breach of contract with a telecoms company.
- Defending a large Peruvian company in high-value arbitration concerning debt recovery following the termination of an infrastructure project.
- Representing a construction company in arbitration against the Peruvian State.
Miguel Grau Q. Abogados
Two-year-old firm Miguel Grau Q. Abogados continues to punch above its weight, attracting a number of new clients to the practice during the past year, such as EECOL Electric Perú, Consorcio Tradlex and Johnson Controls Perú. The disputes boutique handles a broad range of civil, commercial, constitutional and public law litigation and arbitration. Founding partner Miguel Grau is very hands on, leading on the bulk of matters assisted by co-head of the practice Augusto Pereyra. Associate Rudy Palomino Mendoza joined the team from Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International in November 2020.
Miguel Grau; Augusto Pereyra
‘Very specialised in the subject of litigation related to commercial and banking law.’
‘Miguel Grau and Augusto Pereyra have a high level of specialisation.’
‘The firm has a combination of legal but also technical knowledge that is essential to understand and win a case, an absolute dedication to the case, full time, being attentive to all actions necessary to win the case.’
‘Miguel Grau is an experienced lawyer who has gone through large firms and now has a more boutique practice, focused on litigation and arbitration. I think that its advantage is that, a great knowledge and experience in a format more focused on handling litigation and arbitration.’
‘Miguel Grau has the advantage of being a lawyer and an arbitrator as well, which allows him a very complete understanding of controversies.’
Inversiones Nacionales de Turismo (Westin Hotels & Resorts)
Insur Compañía de Seguros
Arauco Holding Perú
Banco Internacional del Perú (Interbank)
Procter & Gamble Perú
Red de Combustibles Líquidos
IMAGINA Grupo Inmobiliario
Seguroc Servicios Especializados
Sigma Fondo de Inversión en Leasing Operativo (Leasop I)
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston
Supermercados Peruanos (Plaza Vea)
BBVA Banco Continental
Inmobiliaria Maradentro (Armas-Doomo Promotora Inmobiliaria)
Inchcape Latam Perú (BMW-Subaru)
Blay Hidalgo’s Family (legal heirs to one of the main shareholders in Aceros Arequipa)
Divemotor (Jeep, Mercedes Benz)
Pacífico EPS Entidad Prestadora de Salud
EECOL Electric Perú
Edison Flores (Asesoría y Gestión Responsable de Futbolistas, AGREEF – Perú)
Johnson Controls Perú
- Acting for Insur Compañía de Seguros in a $4m judicial claim against two shareholders of ICCGSA (Ingenieros Civiles y Contratistas Generales) following the company’s refusal to pay Insur the amount agreed in the context of infrastructure agreements with the Peruvian government in Arequipa.
- Representing Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston in several administrative litigation processes filed by Lima Potable Water and Sewage Service (SEDAPAL) against our client’s attempts to have several administrative resolutions decalred null.
- Ongoing advice to Interbank on matters of contractual and non-contractual civil liability, intellectual property, consumer protection and securities.
Navarro Sologuren Paredes Gray
Demonstrating considerable depth in both lawyer numbers and expertise, Navarro Sologuren Paredes Gray is a specialist construction and engineering boutique that handles an extensive caseload of arbitration in this sector. Indeed, it was involved in 29 arbitration cases in 2020 alone. The disputes team comprises five partners and nine associates, large for a niche boutique and is evidence of an in-demand practice. It is led by the firm's three founding partners: Enrique Navarro Sologuren, Gustavo Paredes and Jaime Gray, all highly experienced in the field.
Enrique Navarro Sologuren; Gustavo Paredes Carbajal; Jaime Gray Chicchón
‘It is a very committed and well coordinated team, always looking for solutions in advance and in a creative/proactive way. The eyes of Gustavo Paredes and Enrique Navarro Sologuren are always close to the relevant issues.’
‘This law firm is the largest and most important in the specialty of construction law and complex construction contracts, in addition to concessions, public/private investment associations in large works. Collaborative contracts and others (BIN, NEC, etc.) It has a fairly large staff of highly competent lawyers with experience in the subject of advice on such contracts, as well as a high specialty in arbitration litigation.‘
‘Both the partners and the associates and experts by areas (advice in the elaboration of complex construction contracts as well as in arbitration litigation) are all of a very high level of competence and experience recognised in the local market and international.‘
‘It is the most experienced team in construction litigation in Peru.‘
‘Enrique Navarro and Gustavo Paredes lead the litigation and arbitration practice. Although they have different profiles, experience and analys, they complement each other perfectly on complex issues. They are both very good strategists and very solid litigants.’
‘The quality of their service is relevant in the construction sector. In their daily work they demonstrate a great commitment and high capacity to solve conflicts by applying their knowledge of the regulation of the sector and the knowledge of the important players in the market. The quality of their work becomes relevant to reach agreements that put an end to work conflicts. I have verified that they are one step ahead in the construction sector compared to other firms when dealing with and solving conflicts.’
‘They stand out for their great legal knowledge of the sector and their extensive expertise when resolving disputes in the construction sector. They differ by having a clear understanding of the technical details that exist in work conflicts, which helps to be quick to obtain the best solution. They are recognised by the relevant players in the construction market in the country, this helps to avoid conflicts.‘
JJC Contratistas Generales
Constructora Pirenaica (sucursal Peru)
Caliza Cementos Inca
Consorcio Virgen del Carmen
Harlam Syo Perú
Consorcio Vial Selva (China Harbour Engineering Company and Corporación Jara y Chávez)
Consorcio Vial del Sur
Consorcio San Ignacio
Consorcio Buenos Aires
Consorcio Saneamiento la Joya
Consorcio PNP – San José
Consorcio Ingeniería Lima Norte II
Consorcio Cajamarca 2
Consorcio Plan Maestro 2050
Consorcio PTAR GKW-LAE
- Defending JJC Contratistas Generales against Programa Especial de Infraestructura de Transporte Nacional (Provias Nacional) which is part of the Ministry of Transport and Comunications, in arbitration related to the contract for the construction of a highway.
- Defending Aldesa Construcciones Sucursal En Peru against Provias Nacional in an arbitration related to the contract for the construction of a highway from Tacna, Peru to La Paz, Bolivia.
- Acting for Consorcio Cajamarca 2 in arbitration regarding the liquidation of a contract.
Estudio Olaechea has a versatile practice, handling a broad range of matters including disputes related to real estate, IP rights, telecommunications, infrastructure, ports, antitrust and tax, among others. It handles high-volume litigious work for some significant clients, such as key practice client Caterpillar Leasing Chile. Other clients include APM Terminals Callao, Viettel Perú (BITEL) and Nokia Solutions and Networks. The ten-lawyer team is also able to advise on significant domestic arbitrations led by experienced partners Manuel Villa-García, Cecilia Catacora and Carlos Martínez, who also co-lead the practice.
Manuel Villa García, Cecilia Catacora and Carlos Martinez
‘I have hired them in litigation matters and they are experts in this field. They provide excellent service with practical recommendations at reasonable rates.’
‘What I appreciate a lot is that if any jurisprudence or news comes out, they are very open and they explain it to you and they do not charge you.’
Caterpillar Leasing Chile (member of transnational Caterpillar Inc)
WMS Gaming Peru
APM Terminals Callao
Telecom Business Solution
Viettel Perú (BITEL)
IQF Del Perú
AP Miller – Maersk
Toyota Del Perú
ACS Solutions Peru
Latam Hydro and CH Mamacocha
Mar Andino Perú
Nokia Solutions and Networks
S & L Andes Export
Tecnología De Materiales
Noatum Logistics Perú
- Representing Caterpillar Leasing Chile in 20 processes per month amounting to approximately 240 warranty execution processes per year.
- Advising Bacilio Amorrortu, a businessman operating in the oil and gas sector, who initiated a direct negotiation with the Peruvian State to be awarded a contract to operate Blocks III & IV of the Talara Refinery.
- Acting for APM Terminal Callao in proceedings to obtain the nullity of a decision of OSITRAN (Supervisory Board for Investment in Public Transport Infrastructure).