Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS fields a public procurement practice, which is highly regarded for public procurement matters and works closely with the competition, state aid, TMT and construction departments to provide integrated, multidisciplinary advice. The team is led by Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim, who is praised by clients as 'probably one of the best experts in Norwegian public procurement regulation' and is recognised for assisting with large procurements projects, especially in the IT, airport and healthcare sectors. Anne Hesjedal Sending is noted for her dispute resolution expertise.
Public procurement in Norway
Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim
Other key lawyers:
Anne Hesjedal Sending; Christina Paludan Melson
‘Haavind’s team has a unique commercial knowledge of the construction industry and knowledge of the industry’s complex contracts. The knowledge of the industry, as well as their professional weight in public procurement, makes Haavind a natural partner in large complex contracts that are procured in accordance with the Public Procurement Regulations.’
‘Anne Hesjedal Sending’s availability and engagement are impeccable.’
‘Fast response time, very good capability and service minded. High competence professionally speaking. Strong on procedure and dispute resolution. The firm collaborates across disciplines and is thus able to solve large complex cases.’
‘Christina Paludan Melson: She is very quick to deliver and familiarise herself with the company’s special Challenges. Responds quickly and with high professional competence.’
‘Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim is a first-rate lawyer in every respect – extremely knowledgeable, both in terms of procurement law and the regulations, but also in litigation and strategy. He has a proven track record of successful cases, personal knowledge of many of the players in the field and his approach to his client is admirable. Respectful, decent, ethically sound, straight forward, pedagogical and with an A+ reputation. This wealth of experience and his personal qualities make him a very valued adviser and litigator. Christina Paludan Melson does an excellent job working together with Mr. Fjelllheim in profiled cases.’
‘Excellent team, broad experience. Very service minded, always delivers high quality services, even within short time limits.’
‘Anne Hesjedal Sending and Goud Homme Fjellheim are highly recommended. Both have much broader experience from court cases (including the Supreme Court) than the majority of competitors.’
‘The team has unique in-depth knowledge of the public sector and public procurement law. Their lawyers also have extensive litigation experience.’
‘Goud Fjellheim has impressive analytical skills, combined with extensive litigation experience in public procurement law. Anne Hesjedal Sending has in depth knowledge of the field, and is a very effective and skilled lawyer.’
‘The deliveries arrive at the agreed time and at the agreed price.’
‘Employees have a very high level of competence within their fields.’
‘Goud Helge Homme Helgheim is competent, has strong analytic skill and contributes to pragmatic solutions.’
‘The team understands the businesses of the clients they are advising. As a consequence they are able to be solution oriented and pragmatic, ie. they strive to find practical legal solutions within the relevant business context.’
‘The individuals in the team are generally easy to work with, positive and constructive. Goud Helge Homme Fjellheim is probably one of the best experts in Norway on the Norwegian Public Procurement regulation.’
Nye Veier AS
Statens Vegvesen (Vegdirektoratet)
Polarsirkelen Lufthavnutvikling AS
Helsetjenestens Driftsorganisasjon for Nødnett HF
Eversheds Sutherland Advokatbyrå AB
Voi Technology AB
Klagenemnda for Offentlige anskaffelser (KOFA)
Nasjonalt program for leverandørutvikling v/NHO
Akershus Universitetssykehus HF
- Represented AtB AS in the landmark case of Fosen-Linjen, concerning the conditions for damages.
- Assisting Sporveien AS with one of the largest procurements in recent years – a new communications-based train control signalling (CBTC) system for the Oslo Metro worth several billion NOK.
- Acting for the Norwegian Complaints Board for Public Procurement (KOFA) in a case regarding interpretation services, where KOFAs decision to impose a fine for an illegal direct award has been brought before the national courts.
Kluge Advokatfirma AS's procurement practice fields specialist lawyers from the firm's public, construction and real estate departments who have expertise across competition and state aid matters in addition to public procurement work. The group's client roster features governmental and municipal bodies as well as publicly owned enterprises; the practice has also recently seen an increase in instructions from private companies in the transport, electricity and oil and gas sectors. Arne Torsten Andersen assists both public entities and suppliers with all aspects of procurement projects and specialises in high-profile public procurement litigation. He heads up the practice with Stian Hultin Oddbjørnsen, who became partner in early 2020. Bjørnar Alterskjær has acted in multiple public procurement cases before the European Court of Justice, and Gro Amdal is a highly renowned public procurement specialist.
Arne Torsten Andersen; Stian Hultin Oddbjørnsen
Other key lawyers:
Bjørnar Alterskjær; Gro Amdal
‘The practice has shown their capability to put together teams that consist of feature expertise to meet the client’s needs. Communication channels work expediently, and delivery is timely.’
‘Always high quality in their advice.’
‘Overall competence is very good.’
‘The entire team consists of individuals with unique expertise.’
Norwegian Federation of Service Industries and Retail Trade
AF Gruppen ASA
Bertselsen og Garpestad AS
KruseSmith Entreprenør AS
Helse MidtNorge HF
Norges Forskningsråd (The Research Council of Norway)
Stavangerregionen Havnedrift AS (The Port of Stavanger)
Norsk Tipping AS
BaneNor (Norwegian National Rail Adminstration)
Kystverket (The Norwegian Coastal Administration)
Samferdselsdepartementet (The Ministry of Transport and Communications)
Nærings- og fiskeridepartementet (Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries)
Vestland fylkeskommune (The County of Vestland)
- Acted for Bane NOR SF against Bombardier in Norway’s second largest case following loss of public contract.
- Acted for Statsbygg against Bravida in Norway’s third largest claim following loss of public contract.
- Assisting Ruter with the successful competition for ferry services in the inner Oslo Fjord with an estimated contract value of around NOK1bn.
Wiersholm has 'by far the best public procurement practice in Norway’ according to clients. The team stands out for regularly handling complex procurement matters for contracting authorities and suppliers, particularly in interim injunctions; it recently acted in a damages dispute between AtB AS and Fosen-Linjen AS before the Supreme Court of Norway. Practice head Morten Goller is an experienced litigator, acting in matters relating to public procurement projects, contracts and construction issues. Senior associate Oda Hellenes Ekre focuses on actions against contracting authorities relating to competitive award procedures.
Other key lawyers:
Oda Hellenes Ekre; Thomas G. Naalsund
‘Excellent communication. Quick responses to e-mails and phone calls. When questions are outside the partners’ area of expertise, a new expert is appointed without any delay.’
‘Team members are very engaged and thorough in all their answers. They explain their view in an understandable language.’
‘Wiersholm has by far the best public procurement-practice in Norway.’
‘Oda Hellenes Ekre is a walking encyclopaedia on public procurement law. She is super service-minded, and provides outstanding advice with deep industry knowledge. Thomas G. Naalsund is a fantastic lawyer, a very experienced litigator and a highly sought after strategic adviser. They are both very pleasant people to work with.’
Hurtigruten AS, Hurtigruten Group AS, Hurtigruten Cruise AS
The Ministry of Industry and Petroleum (MPE)
BMO Entreprenør AS
Veidekke Entreprenør AS
Veidekke Industri AS
Skanska Norge AS
Boreal Norge AS
ResMed Norway AS
Egencia Norway AS
The Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities (KS)
- Represented Næringslivets hovedorganisasjon (NHO) in a dispute regarding damages between AtB AS and Fosen-Linjen AS. NHO intervened on behalf of Fosen-Linjen AS.
- Assisted KS with a comprehensive legal report. In order to ensure adequate working conditions in the construction sector, interest groups in the sector have suggested new and common contract provisions to be used in public construction contracts.
- Assisting The Ministry of Industry and Petroleum (MPE) with its aim to realise the first full scale Carbon Capture Storage (CCS) project in Norway.
Wikborg Rein stands out for its involvement in procurement matters of national and international relevance, including acting for the Ministry of Defence and the National Procurement Authority for the Health Trusts. Hanne Camilla Zimmer was recently appointed as deputy head of the firm's competition and procurement team, while highly regarded practitioner Alf Amund Gulsvik acts as procurement deputy head. The team, which also includes IT procurement expert Rolf Riisnæs, also represents clients in litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Rolf Riisnæs; Alf Amund Gulsvik; Hanne Camilla Zimmer
‘The team is available, and always gives quick responses when needed.’
‘A good partner to turn to for discussions on complicated issues, to find a good strategy and way to handle the matters.’
‘Wikborg Rein is a law firm with highly skilled professionals which provides high quality legal advice within every legal area. With their foreign branches their international network is one of the best among Norwegian law firms. They are highly dedicated to do the very best for their clients and make great efforts in understanding the business of the client in order to be able to give the best of advice. Forthcoming in every sense but also raises questions with regard to potential conflict of interests where necessary.’
‘They understand customers’ needs, and they adapt their legal assessments to the recipient with an educational approach.’
‘They have unique expertise in the field.’
‘Alf Amund Gulsvik: Extensive up to date knowledge of the field of public procurement under Norwegian law and EU regulations. Unique ability to find practical solutions for public authorities compliant with the public procurement regulation. Structured, easy to cooperate with and solid in court proceedings. Hanne Camilla Zimmer has extensive experience within public procurement law and related areas as competition, state aid, and general EU/EEA law. Easy to cooperate with.’
‘Wikborg Rein’s procurement team consist of highly skilled and specialised lawyers which are able to provide valuable advice on all legal aspects of a procurement procedure.’
‘Alf Amund Gulsvik has a solution-oriented approach. He is service-minded and has an enormous knowledge of public procurement law. Alf Amund is very efficient, always extremely well-prepared and ready to help out.’
Norwegian Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Eidsiva Bredbånd AS
- Acting as legal counsel to the National Procurement Authority for the Health Trusts on all procurement for Norwegian hospitals including several injunction cases and Covid-19 procurements.
- Acting as legal counsel to the Ministry of Defence on the largest outsourcing of IT services in Norway.
- Successfully completing a multi-stage procurement for IT services for the Central Bank of Norway.
Arntzen de Besche’s public procurement department is recognised for its work for suppliers across a broad spectrum of industries, with particular expertise in the healthcare and energy sectors; it also has a strong presence in the newly liberalised railroad sector in Norway. Focusing on contract negotiations, project implementations, final settlement issues and dispute resolution, the team is jointly led by Espen I Bakken, who acts for healthcare and infrastructure operators, competition expert Stein Ove Solberg and Svein Terje Tveit, who is a highly regarded litigator.
Espen I. Bakken; Stein Ove Solberg; Svein Terje Tveit
‘Espen Bakken is highly appreciated.’
‘Always available, competent and knowledgeable, they deliver practical legal advice on time.’
‘Svein Terje Tvedt is very service minded, pleasant and easy to work with, delivers practical legal advice on time. Is knowledgeable about the industry that clients operate in.’
‘Espen Bakken has strong communication and relationship skills.’
‘They have solid competence within public competitions – good at responding quickly to their customers. They have broad knowledge within the supplier side and the buyer side. They are good at understanding customer’s needs.’
‘Arntzen de Besche, Trondheim has a lengthy track record in public procurement, building strength and trust with their clients. They have longstanding experience as advisers to huge public entities advising on procurement strategies and contracts. The same experience is an advantage for private companies seeking their advice.’
‘Competent and flexible firm that always puts the most relevant team together fast.’
‘The team had a very short response time from the moment we made contact, and they were updated on the case and our needs. They handle cases with the utmost dedication.’
Abbott Norge AS
Smith& Nephew Norge AS
Norwegian Bank Investment Management
Nye Veier AS
Baxter Norge AS
- Advised Abbott Norge AS on the public procurement of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and insulin pumps from Sykehusinnkjøp HF.
- Assisting Spordrift AS with the organisational structure of the company in relation to the state aid and public procurement regulations, in particular the in-house award exception and the prohibition of cross-subsidisation.
- Assisting Sykehusbygg HF, a state-owned health care organisation, with several new construction projects regarding hospitals in Norway.
The public procurement team at Advokatfirmaet Grette AS is particularly active in public infrastructure projects, with notable expertise in road contracts and PPP mandates. The department has recently been awarded several new public contracts across a wide range of sectors, including the transport, IT, telecoms, energy, construction and healthcare industries. Marie Braadland heads up the practice and assists with the procurement of new information and communication technologies, building and construction services as well as research and medical supplies. The practice gained Silje Grimseth Ullebust from Advokatfirmaet Hjort in early 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Silje Grimseth Ullebust
‘Grette is always available, provides legal advice of high quality and has a hands-on knowledge and a commercial understanding of our business that we find unique within public procurement.’
‘Marie Braadland is always available for discussions and assignments, but never compromises with quality and the client’s best interest. She never forgets the commercial aspect, which is so important within public procurement.’
Norwegian Tax Administration
Norwegian Public Roads Administration
The Central Norway Regional Health Authority
Norske Tog AS
The Airport Express train
Norwegian Centre for Oil Preparedness and Marine Environment
- Assisted Entur AS with several public procurements.
- Assisted Norske Tog AS with several public procurements.
- Assisted The Norwegian Public Roads Administration with the large PPP projects ‘Riksvei 555 – Sotrasambandet’ and ‘Riksvei 3/Riksvei 25’.
The public procurement team at Advokatfirmaet Hjort is singled out for advising large public authorities (including Avinor AS) and suppliers (including Siemens Mobility, Siemens Healthcare and Bombardier) on public procurement matters. A significant element of the group's workload consists of handling complaints before the Complaints Board and courts. Heddy Ludvigsen heads up the department and focuses on PPP work. Silje Grimseth Ullebust moved to Advokatfirmaet Grette AS in early 2021.
Avinor Flysikring AS
Bodø Kirkelige Fellesråd
Agder Energi AS
- Advising Avinor AS on several large public procurements.
- Acting as legal adviser for Fredrikstad Municipaityl on complex legal matters, acting in a complaint before the Norwegian Complaints Board and handling several procurement issues.
- Acting for several large domestic and international construction companies on public procurements in connection to major construction and building projects.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig's public procurement team is part of the firm's wider EU and competition team and stands out for its regular involvement in large procurement cases and general procurement processes. Anders Thue and practice head Jan Magne Langseth recently appeared before the Supreme Court representing Fosen-Linjen AS in a significant transportation case. Christian Bjørtuft Ellingsen focuses on procurement processes, negotiations and contractual issues.
Jan Magne Langseth
Other key lawyers:
Anders Thue; Christian Bjørtuft Ellingsen
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Stiftelsen Diakonissehuset Lovisenberg
Central Norway Regional Health Authority
Sanofi Avensis Norge AS
The Ministry of Justice and Public Security
The Norwegian Communications Authority (Nkom)
The Norwegian Police
NordicInfu Care AB
The Norwegian Directorate of eHealth (NDE)
Stiftelsen Norsk Luftambulanse
Troms og Finnmark fylkeskommune
- Assisting Central Norway Regional Health Authority with procuring a new system for patient journals and patient administration (EPJ/PAS).
- Represented Fosen-Linjen AS in pleadings against public transportation company AtB AS. Fosen-Linjen AS was seeking damages for lost profits caused by AtB AS’ procurement of ferry services.
- Assisted the Norwegian Directorate of eHealth with all stages of the public procurement of a health analytics platform.
Vaar Advokat AS
Boutique firm Vaar Advokat AS assists contracting authorities and suppliers with the whole spectrum of public procurement issues, particularly those relating to IT, cloud, ERP systems, welfare technology, defence, health and laboratory services as well as furniture, playground equipment and consultancy mandates. The team, which is led by Marianne H. Dragsten, also acts in dispute resolution.
Marianne H. Dragsten
Kompetanse Norge (Skills Norway)
Øvre Romerike innkjøpssamarbeid (ØRIK)
Volvat Medisinske Senter AS
Unilabs Norway AS
The Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities
Opplysningskontoret for Frukt og grønt
- Providing legal advice to the county of Agder in connection with its procurements, including large procurement projects in Agder.
- Providing legal advice to the county of Nordland on its procurements.
- Advising Sivilombudsmannen on a framework agreement, won through tender competition where The Ombudsman is the contracting authority.
Life sciences expert Kirti Mahajan Thomassen leads Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS' public procurement department. The team regularly advises procuring entities, and also acts for private sector suppliers. Andreas Wahl is also a name to note.
Kirti Mahajan Thomassen
Other key lawyers:
SANDS' recent public procurement highlights include projects involving hospitals and universities relating to construction works, software, goods and services. Headed up by Bergen-based Åshild Fløisand, the team includes Kjersti Holum Karlstrøm , who was newly appointed as a member of the Public Procurement Complaints Board by the Norwegian Government.
Other key lawyers:
Kjersti Holum Karlstrøm
‘Partner Kjersti Holum Karlstrøm makes her team available 24/7 and makes sure they investigate all questions, legal dilemmas and and facts thoroughly. What makes SANDS stand out compared to other firms, is their strong belief, that facts are the foundation of success in legal disputes. All legal disputes are treated as the most important in the world.’
‘Kjersti Holum Karlstrøm has a warm personality, coupled with strong legal skills. She has also been a judge, which makes her very knowledgeable about both sides of the table. Karlstrøm provides useful insights to resolve the cases outside the court room. She provides high-quality advice and it is my impression that she is genuinely engaged in her cases.’
Helse Bergen HF
Høgskulen på Vestlandet (Westernrway University of Applied Sciences)
Helse Stavanger HF
- Acted for Høgskulen på Vestlandet in a temporary injunction related to a disputed procurement process.
- Advising Helse Bergen HF on all of the procurement issues linked to major construction works, software, goods and services as part of the €565m project related to a new children’s hospital in Bergen.
- Advised Helse Stavanger HF on the procurement of major construction works, goods and services in a €732m project related to the new university hospital in Stavanger.