Advokatfirmaet Schjødt provides the full range of services in the shipping and offshore sectors. At the core of the practice, the group handles the creation and modification of shipbuilding contracts, financial mandates and projects for financial institutions and equity stakeholders. The team, led by transactional, finance and project management expert and litigator Henrik Aadnesen, also acts in disputes and arbitration proceedings concerning shipbuilding issues, ship design and ship conversion work, and offshore platforms.
Offshore construction and shipbuilding in Norway
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Lund Nakkim; Stian Tennfjord
‘Combination of high legal competence and excellent knowledge of the industry.’
‘Henrik Aadnesen is on top of things and very dedicated. He spends time on understanding the tasks, and is a valuable discussion partner for us. Further, he gets things done, and forms a brilliant team together with his team, in particular Rebecca Lund Nakkim (Associate).’
‘Henrik Aadnesen is very responsive and pragmatic in his advice.’
‘Stian Tennfjord is efficient and available and always a pleasure to work with.’
Aker Floating Production AS
GC Rieber Shipping ASA
Höegh LNG AS
Ocean Yield ASA
Spar Shipping AS
Volstad Shipping AS
Vard Group AS
- Acted for shipyard Vard Group AS on successfully ensuring the delivery and acceptance of two cruise vessels to an international client.
- Assisted Ocean Yield ASA with the purchase of two newcastlemax dry bulk newbuildings, with 13-year bareboat charters to companies owned and guaranteed by 2020 Bulkers Ltd., structured as sale and lease back transactions.
- Advised a shipyard on successfully contracting two well boat contracts for Sølvtrans.
BAHR's offshore construction and shipbuilding department has been notably active in contract renegotiations and cancellations, and also saw an increase in instructions relating to new building projects. The team has strong relationships with notable players in the market, which is advises on tendering and contractual issues. Geir Gustavsson, who heads up the shipping and offshore practice, is particularly active, alongside Morten P Smørdal, who leads the offshore construction team and handles contracts for the construction of rigs and ships as well as floating, production, storage and offloading contracts.
Geir Gustavsson; Morten P Smørdal
‘They are well versed in all matters related to offshore construction and shipbuilding, and are able to seamlessly integrate resources from other areas like company law, banking, capital markets, insolvency practice etc.’
‘BAHR lawyers have extensive industry and commercial knowledge, including practical business experience, and are used to working closely with the clients’ legal departments to understand and meet their needs. Legal advice received is always timely and of the highest quality.’
‘A firm with good knowledge within the offshore sector.’
‘The team in which Geir Gustavsson is a prominent partner is commercially driven and very result oriented and pragmatic. They have deep insights into relevant legal doctrine and contract regulation, and give great advice on risks and its allocation.’
‘Very high quality firm.’
‘Geir Gustavsson has great commercial awareness and common sense.’
Aker BP ASA
Northern Drilling Limited
Torghatten Nord AS
Aker Energy AS
FosenNamsos Sjø AS
Østensjø Rederi AS
Aker Solutions ASA
- Acted as Norwegian legal adviser to Philly Shipyard ASA on a $1.5bn contract award for the construction of up to five National Security Multi-Mission Vessels from TOTE Services, LLC.
- Advising a number of clients involved in offshore construction projects on the renegotiation and amendment of contracts following the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisted OSE-listed Northern Drilling Ltd. with the spinoff of its two harsh environment rigs, West Mira and West Bollsta, to Northern Ocean Ltd., and the subsequent $100m private placement and listing of Northern Ocean Ltd. on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS' team exclusively focuses on offshore construction and shipbuilding matters and provides a wide-range of advice incorporating transactional, contractual, contentious and regulatory matters. The negotiation and funding of offshore projects is a key area for co-head Odd-Arne Kleveland, while shipbuilding and offshore construction contracts are handled by co-head Eirik Høiby. The practice is also recognised for its contentious experience in the offshore construction and shipbuilding sectors, acting in domestic and cross-border arbitration and litigation proceedings; Gro Løge is an experienced litigator.
Odd-Arne Kleveland; Eirik Høiby
Other key lawyers:
Gro Løge; Martin Tandstad Ege
‘Good knowledge of the offshore business and the standard contracts.’
‘The firm is highly skilled, efficient and very professional. They have a broad expertise spanning all elements of the oil and gas and energy sector, such as corporate transactions, construction and maintenance contracts for rigs, vessels and offshore installations and related litigation and regulatory matters.’
‘Martin Tandstad Ege stands out in the team. He is the upcoming generation lawyer with a keen willingness to explore new technical solutions to increase efficiency and client value combined with a strong legal acumen and business understanding.’
Deep C Solutions
Altera Infrastructure (former Teekay Offshore)
- Acting for SCF Geo on its co-operation agreement/joint venture with Polarcus for the provision of seismic services to Exxon in Russia.
- Assisted Dutch ship owner Acta Marine with the construction of a DP2 walk to work construction support vessel to be used at offshore wind farms.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig has a highly active offshore construction and shipbuilding practice, spread across several domestic offices and an outpost in Singapore. Norwegian and international yards, financial banks, ship and rig owners and buyers are the key clients of the Oslo and Bergen practices (led by Erlend Lous and Jan Vablum respectively), which represent clients in disputes and handle construction contracts. The Stavanger office is headed up by Gunnar Espeland and focuses on offshore construction and oil and gas corporate and transactional work. Shipbuilding and ship repair mandates are covered by the Tromsø team, which is headed up by Kenneth Mikkelsen.
Erlend Lous; Jan Vablum; Kenneth Mikkelsen; Gunnar Espeland
Seatankers Management Company Limited
Offshore Merchant Partners
DVB Bank SE
Endur ASA and its subsidiaries
Westcon Yards AS
ABN AMRO Bank N.V., DNB Bank ASA, NIBC Bank N.V.
Nordea Bank AB
Fjord 1 AS
Volstad Maritime AS
Fosen Yard AS
Oma Baatbyggeri AS
Maersk Supply Services
GC Rieber Shipping AS
G2 Ocean AS
Wergeland Group AS (including Solund Yard)
- Advising Yara Norge AS on its project to develop an autonomous cargo solution system including the construction of what will be the world’s first autonomous zero emission vessel – Yara Birkeland.
- Advising and negotiating for companies in the Seatankers Management Company Limited group as purchasers of 52 newbuildings of various types and four vessels built but still owned by the shipbuilding yards.
- Advising Kleven Verft AS, one of the largest shipyards in Norway, on its bankruptcy estate.
The offshore construction and shipbuilding team at Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS has seen notable growth with several partner recruitments, including Audun Stornes, Thomas Abrahamsen and Jone Stakkestad, who joined from Kluge Advokatfirma AS to strengthen the group's oil and gas, regulatory and litigation expertise. Pål Lieungh is a recognised practitioner and leads the team, which includes shipping expert Mads Haavardsholm and Henrik Hagberg, who is involved in cross-border transactions and dispute resolution. The team is also active in restructurings in the Norwegian shipping and offshore supply market.
Other key lawyers:
Mads Haavardsholm; Henrik Hagberg; Audun Stornes; Thomas Abrahamsen; Jone Stakkestad
‘Very solution oriented. Always available on short notice. Excellent advice on non-standard agreements.’
‘Mads Haavardsholm is an excellent lawyer, super intelligence and always seeks balanced and great solutions for our company. He is clear on when one should push back, and when one should seek external help from e.g. British lawyers. Just a brilliant lawyer all around!’
‘Very broad group of lawyers all with substantial experience and straight to the point approach.’
Equinor ASA (previously Statoil ASA)
DNO International ASA
RAK Petroleum PLC
Enhanced Drilling AS
Dong E&P A/S
Gdansk Shiprepair Yard “Remontowa” S.A.
Vard Group AS
Fearnley Advisors AS/Transportation Recovery Fund
Apollo Asset Ltd/Hunter Group ASA
Arne Blystad/Offshore Heavy Transportation
Qatar Navigation – Milaha
Connect LNG AS
Island Drilling AS
OHT Alfalift AS
TECO 2030 AS
Wellesley Petroleum AS
Suncor Energy Norge AS
France Pelagique SAS
J.D. Irving, Limited / Atlantic Harrier Limited Partnership
Southern Wind Shipyards (PTY) Limited
Westcon Yards AS
- Assisting Hunter Group ASA with its purchase of eight VLCCs from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering, including the exercise of options for additional vessels, and the follow-up work during the construction and delivery, as well as a three vessel sale and leaseback transactions with Ship Finance Limited.
- Representing Westcon Yards AS in an appeal hearing against Prosafe Rigs Pte Ltd. in a NOK800m dispute regarding the conversion of the tender support vessel Safe Scandinavia.
- Assisting Island Offshore with the renegotiation of three shipbuilding contracts with Vard and the financing of the newbuilds through a new joint venture between the yard and the shipowner.
Wikborg Rein focuses on transactional work and litigation proceedings, especially issues arising from shipbuilding contracts and the delivery and pricing of vessels. Litigator and arbitrator Gaute Gjelsten heads up the practice with Øyvind Axe, who is deputy head of the firm's global shipping and offshore group and advises clients on construction contracts, asset sales and purchases, financing matters and restructurings. Øystein Meland is a key name to note in Bergen, and Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen was promoted to the partnership in early 2020.
Gaute Gjelsten; Øyvind Axe
Other key lawyers:
Morten Valen Eide; Knut Hausken Magnussen; Øystein Meland; Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen
‘Experts in offshore construction and shipbuilding contacts with regards to both customers and sub-suppliers.’
‘Morten Valen Eide has insight into his clients’ processes and is knowledgeable about both the market and customers in and with which that they work. He is thorough in his work and at the same time delivers quickly.’
‘The team has a high degree of availability and are always prepared and present in discussions. The team offers advice on all aspects of an issue – legal, process, communication and stakeholder management. The team offers creative solutions and alternatives on how to handle issues – often based on experience from the industry, or similar branches.’
‘Morten Valen Eide is extremely competent and expresses positions clearly, however always keeps a friendly and informal approach before and after discussions. Associate Knut Hausken Magnussen is always able to deliver high quality on time, and offers advice and opens discussions on how to handle difficult topics.’
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier
- Assisting DNB Bank ASA, GIEK and Norlaks Oppdrett AS with the finalisation of the construction and delivery of ‘Havfarm 1’ from Yantai Raffles.
- Acted as counsel to BKK AS and its consortium on the development of a new value chain for liquid hydrogen, for the supply to maritime applications in Norway.
- Assisting Rosellinis Four-10 Inc. with the construction of the research and exploration yacht REV OCEAN, which is under construction at Vard Brattvåg.
Arntzen de Besche has notable contentious and non-contentious expertise in the oil and gas, aquaculture and fisheries, shipping and shipbuilding sectors. The offshore construction group is spread across the firm's Oslo, Trondheim, and Stavanger offices. Department head Karl Erik Navestad is highly regarded for his knowledge of the oil and gas sector and advises on offshore aquaculture construction projects. Ole Skeidsvoll Moe and Anders Rødland are both key figures in the team.
Karl Erik Navestad
Other key lawyers:
Ole Skeidsvoll Moe; Anders Rødland
‘Available, skilled and cooperative team. Very efficient.’
‘Cooperative, clever, quick at learning and understanding, effective and available.’
Lundin Norway AS
Altera Infrastructure Production AS
- Assisting Nordlaks with its projects for developing and constructing large offshore aquaculture farms.
- Assisting biofuel company, Biokraft AS with every stage of establishing a liquid biogas (LBG) plant at Skogn, Norway.
- Assisted Moen Marin Group AS with the sale of 100 % of the shares of Moen Marin AS, a Norwegian shipbuilding company specialised in service vessels for the aquaculture industry, to Scale Aquaculture AS.
Advokatfirmaet Glittertind AS is a stand-out construction and dispute resolution boutique, with a particular focus on industry and energy matters. The team is led by Geir-Arne Borgestrand, who has international experience in contract negotiations, project issues and dispute resolution, especially in the oil services sector.
Sub Seatech Contracting Corp.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS' oil and offshore team is a key name in the market for offshore construction contractors and is increasing its market standing in the shipbuilding industry. The practice is led by Christopher L. Sveen, who is 'very knowledgeable' in oil and gas mandates, and regularly acts for the Federation of Norwegian Industries on the development of standard contracts in the industry. Associate Sarah-Ann Kvam, who specialises in offshore construction and shipbuilding contracts, is also noted.
Christopher L. Sveen
Other key lawyers:
‘Extensive industry and commercial knowledge, including practical business experience within the oil and gas industry. They are used to working closely with the clients’ legal department and projects to understand and meet their needs. Legal advice received is always timely and of the highest quality.’
‘Christopher L Sveen plays a key role in coordinating all work, and ensures continuity and safeguarding of all advice received. Sarah-Ann Kvam: excellent oil and gas contract law specialist with hands-on tendering and negotiation experience.’
‘Very knowledgeable within oil and gas contract practices, challenges and history. Christopher Sveen is probably the most known lawyer among supplier companies.’
‘Highly knowledgeable team capable of tackling large and complex litigations. Consists of previous industry professionals extremely well-connected with the different legal environments, being regulatory, university or industrial bodies.’
Barents Naturgass AS
Broadview Energy Solutions B.V.
Heerema Fabrication Group B.V.
Norsk Industri (The Federation of Norwegian Industries), Oil & Gas
- Advising Aker Solutions on its restructuring and preparation for the spin off of its wind development business and its CCUS business into two new separate entities and establishing the framework for its continued co-operation with the new two new entities.
- Assisting Nova Sea AS with the development and construction of the Spidercage concept, which is a floating fish farming facility for harsh environmental offshore conditions.
- Represented Redox in a dispute with Lilleborg regarding faulty cleaning and disinfection systems delivered for ships.
Kvale Advokatfirma DA is singled out for acting in large disputes, including cases relating to the offshore sector, with particular expertise in representing oil companies. The team is also recognised for its involvement in international offshore construction projects, assisting contractors, manufacturers and distributors with projects in the Americas and West Africa. Jens Brede, who focuses on oil and gas litigation, and Yngve Bustnesli, who advises on petroleum law and offshore contracts, jointly head up the practice.
Jens Brede; Yngve Bustnesli
WR Berkley Insurance (Europe)
Eagle Burgmann Norway
- Represented Equinor Energy in a high-stakes dispute related to the termination of a drilling contract for COSL Innovator.
- Advising Techouse AS on a project for the construction of a water treatment module for the Statoil Johan Castberg oil platform, intended to be placed on the Norwegian Continental Shelf.
- Acting for Equinor Energy in a dispute with COSL Offshore Management relating to the COSL Promoter drilling unit.
Wiersholm regularly advises foreign and Norwegian operators and oil services contractors on offshore construction matters. The team is increasingly involved in development and project execution mandates, including tenders, contractual issues and negotiations in the shipbuilding sector. Newbuilding projects are primarily handled by practice co-head Karl Even Rygh, while fellow co-head Helge Morten Svarva is a key name for contentious work. Sondre Dyrland is also singled out; according to clients 'there are no other lawyers who have a deeper understanding of carbon capture and storage'.
Helge Morten Svarva; Karl Even Rygh
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at Wiersholm provide clear legal advice, but they also have the ability to provide highly valuable commercial and strategic advice. The team makes ambitious promises – and keeps them.’
‘Sondre Dyrland has extensive experience in all aspects of upstream and midstream oil and gas. There are no other lawyers who have a deeper understanding of carbon capture and storage.’
Avance Gas Holding Ltd.
Golden Ocean Group Limited
- Assisting The Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy as sole legal advisor on its full-scale carbon capture and storage project.
- Acted as counsel for Liberty Mutual Insurance SE on the restructuring of the yard group Havyard Group.
- Assisted Frontline Ltd. with entering into shipbuilding contracts for a substantial amount of tanker newbuildings from various yards in Asia.