Fielding ‘a very experienced team’ with ‘excellent communication and advisory skills’, the offshore construction and shipbuilding practice at BAHR sits within the firm’s wider Ocean and Energy group. Noted for its premier advice on innovative development projects and high-value transactions, the team is trusted by high-profile Norwegian and international clients in the construction and shipbuilding sectors. The broad-based practice also advises on carbon capture and storage (CCS) facilities, shore power projects and offshore wind farm developments. Geir Gustavsson and Morten Smørdal co-lead the ‘competent and capable’ team; Gustavsson ‘combines excellent legal skills and business acumen’ particularly on shipbuilding contract negotiations and disputes, and Smørdal is the go-to individual for floating, production, storage and offloading contracts. Oil and gas field development projects are the purview of both Jan Einar Barbo and Thomas K. Svensen, Øystein Meland is a shipbuilding expert, and Haakon Flaatten and Anne Dahl Frisak are also recommended.
Offshore construction and shipbuilding in Norway
Geir Gustavsson; Morten Smørdal
Other key lawyers:
Eirik Høiby; Øystein Meland; Jan Einar Barbo; Are Stenvik; Thomas K. Svensen; Haakon Flaatten; Anne Dahl Frisak
‘Competence and capabilities – always up to date, their effectiveness, capabilities and access to specialists when needed, excellent communication and advisory skills, their availability and response time.’
‘Geir Gustavsson combines excellent legal skills and business acumen in a unique manner, and his sparkling personality makes him a pleasure to work with. The teams are tailor made and, if required, they are able to include prominent experts like Are Stenvik and Jan Einar Barbo.’
‘A very experienced team.’
‘Eirik Høiby is very experienced and knows the offshore construction business well. Haakon Flaaten is also a safe pair of hands.’
Aker BP ASA
Northern Drilling Limited
Torghatten Nord AS
Østensjø Rederi AS
Aker Solutions AS
Future Technology AS
Aker Oilfield Services AS
- Assisted Østensjø Rederi and Edda Wind with ordering six new Commissioning Service Operation Vessels (CSOVs) and Service Operation Vessels (SOVs) from the shipyards Astilleros Gondan and Astilleros Balenciaga in Spain.
- Representing Future Production Holding AS in a dispute against Atle Korsmo and Hag Invest AS involving its claim for damages of NOK13.8m plus interest from the sellers under an indemnity in an agreement relating to the shares in Future Production AS.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS’ offshore and shipbuilding group is praised for its ‘highly competent’ and ‘specialised’ team. Acting for large high-profile and smaller scale contractors, the group is a key adviser for a large proportion of companies operating on the Norwegian continental shelf. Core areas of expertise include handling shipbuilding mandates, utility and energy development projects, including new offshore wind projects, and fishery and aquaculture developments; the team is also involved in disputes within the offshore and shipbuilding industry. ‘Trusted adviser’ Christopher Sveen spearheads the practice and is noted for his deep expertise, particularly in oil and gas projects. Mikal Brøndmo and senior lawyer Silje Helene Bakkevig Dagsland excel in contentious work, and senior lawyer Sarah-Ann Kvam focuses on shipbuilding contracts and offshore construction projects domestically and internationally, particularly in Asia. Martine Linge Johnsen is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Mikal Brøndmo; Bård Sandstad; Martine Linge Johnsen; Silje Helene Bakkevig Dagsland; Sarah-Ann Kvam
‘The effort of the team is incredible and they are service minded and efficient in their deliveries. They have very good competence and experience within Offshore Construction and Shipbuilding since several of them previously have worked for companies in the business. The collaboration has been very good on the cases that I have been working with them on now over the last few years. Their contributions and legal advice have been of great importance in helping our company to solve the complicated cases that we have been involved in.’
‘Christopher Sveen is a person of great knowledge within the field of offshore wind – his enthusiasm and understandable approach (for non-lawyers) is special. His young lawyers Saran Ann Kvam and Silje Dagsland have good approaches and understand our questions and have good and precise comments and advice which is much appreciated.’
‘Haavind’s team is specialized in providing legal services to our business sector, mainly related to engineering and construction activities for the offshore industry within wind and oil & gas. Key members of their team have very good understanding of commercial and management matters relevant to our business in addition to the pure legal services offered by the firm. This makes the team a well sought after partner for support to our business.’
‘Christopher Sveen has significant experience within our core business activities, in particular offshore oil & gas and offshore wind EPC Contracts. He is a trusted adviser which contributes to commercial and management decisions in addition to the excellent legal advice on contractual matters.’
‘Mikal Brøndmo is an excellent adviser on our EPC contracts for the offshore industry. Through his significant expertise with litigation, he provides advice in all stages of the construction process in order to avoid costly and time consuming disputes at a later stage.’
‘Partner Christopher Sveen has been leading the team and has really delivered 24/7 when required. His previous experience from working in the business have really helped in making sure he has a good understanding of the technical challenges. I also have to mention the great contributions and collaborations from the associates Sarah-Ann Kvam , Martine Linge and Silje Dagsland.’
‘Deep understanding of Norwegian offshore industry, practice, clients, trends. The company is very good at replying within short deadlines. The company answers the questions and requests that you have in a very professional way and seem to have a good cooperation within own lines/teams.’
Heerema Fabrication Group B.V.
Heerema Marine Contractors
Norsk Industri (The Federation of Norwegian Industries)
The Norwegian Ministry of Defence
Jarle Bergs Sønner AS
- Assisting Jarle Bergs Sønner AS with regard to a contract for the newbuild of a fishing vessel, including in respect to the building contracts, follow up on the project and matters relating to finance.
- Advising a global EPC contractor in relation to its execution of and rights under EPC contracts for major structures for an offshore wind farm and the modification of a large drilling and production unit.
- Advising the Federation of Norwegian Industries (Norsk Industri) on major initiatives taken by the federation to assist the oil and gas and shipbuilding industry in turning their businesses towards other green industries and entering the offshore wind market.
Nicolai Myren leads the ‘skilled and efficient’ group at Selmer, which covers the full range of shipbuilding and offshore construction projects. Regularly advising on transactional, contractual, contentious and regulatory matters, the team utilises a cross-practice model for its clients. Myren is an oil services specialist, handling contractual matters, transactional mandates and disputes, while Christian Steen Eriksen is also a shipping, energy and natural resources expert, with extensive experience negotiating and executing engineering, procurement construction and installation contracts in the shipping, oil and offshore industries. Senior associates Martin Tandstad Ege and Andreas Kyllingstad are also recommended. Norman Hansen Meyer departed to Advokatfirmaet Schjødt in mid-2023.
Other key lawyers:
Christian Steen Eriksen; Martin Tandstad Ege; Andreas Kyllingstad
‘Skilled and efficient.’
‘Skilled, available, pleasant.’
Altera Infrastructure (formerly Teekay Offshore)
Green Yard Kleven shipyard (formerly Kleven Verft)
Havfram (formerly Ocean Installer)
Swire Energy Services
Technip Energies Group
- Advised Reach Subsea in connection with ordering two state-of-the-art, remotely-controlled and battery-driven subsea vessels.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig’s shipping and offshore department continues to be one of the key names for clients operating on the Norwegian continental shelf, and is notable for its ‘exceptional execution and experience on shipping transactions’. With offices in Oslo and Bergen, the group regularly advises international yards , shipowners, and domestic and international banks on newbuild vessel and rig financing issues, oil and gas offshore construction projects, and insolvency and restructuring mandates. Erlend Lous is a paragon in shipbuilding and offshore construction contracts, and Gunnar Espeland is a go-to individual for green and brownfield oil and gas projects. Lars Inge Ørstavik is trusted by shipowners, underwriters, yards and suppliers and regularly handles non-contentious mandates, while Jan Vablum is a dispute resolution expert.
Yannis Litinas; Jan Vablum; Kenneth Mikkelsen; Gunnar Espeland
Other key lawyers:
Lars Inge Ørstavik; Hågen Hansen; Erlend Lous
‘Exceptional execution and experience on shipping transactions compared to peers.’
‘Erlend Lous is the key name we use and who I would recommend.’
Seatankers Management Company Limited
Offshore Merchant Partners
DVB Bank SE
Endur ASA and its subsidiaries
Westcon Yards AS
ABN AMRO Bank N.V., DNB Bank ASA, NIBC Bank N.V.
Nordea Bank AB filial I Norge on behalf of 7 Lenders
Fjord 1 AS
Volstad Maritime AS
Fosen Yard AS
Oma Baatbyggeri AS
Maersk Supply Services
GC Rieber Shipping AS
G2 Ocean AS
Wergeland Group AS (including Solund Yard)
Yara Norge AS
- Advised Project Pissarro AS on the sale/leaseback financing of two offshore supply vessels purchased by Project Pissarro AS to be bareboat chartered out to Esvagt A/S, Denmark , converted to hybrid vessels by installing battery packages at Ulstein Yard Norway and employed on long term time charter to Total.
- Assisted the Euronext Oslo listed Seaway 7 ASA with the negotiations of a bareboat charter with purchase options of a newbuildt Heavylift vessel constructed by CSSC in China.
- Assisting Wergeland Base AS and Grieg Logistics in connection with a complex repair project in respect of the vessel Dubai Harmony.
The offshore construction and shipbuilding practice as Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS has both contentious and non-contentious expertise, advising offshore yards, shipyards, ship and rig owners, E&P companies, suppliers and infrastructure owners in the sector. Recent highlights for the practice include handling an increase in green shift instructions, as well as new large-scale, complex transactions and restructurings. The team is led by Pål Lieungh, Mads Haavardsholm and Henrik Hagberg; Lieungh focuses primarily on the offshore, oil and gas, and shipbuilding sectors, Haavardsholm excels in corporate shipping work and Hagberg has notable oil services and shipping expertise. Jacob F Bull is trusted by oil and renewables companies alike, particularly for his international development project expertise.
Pål Lieungh; Mads Haavardsholm; Henrik Hagberg
Other key lawyers:
Jacob F Bull
Equinor ASA (previously Statoil ASA)
DNO International ASA
RAK Petroleum PLC
Enhanced Drilling AS
Gdansk Shiprepair Yard “Remontowa” S.A.
Vard Group AS
Fearnley Advisors AS/Transportation Recovery Fund
Apollo Asset Ltd/Hunter Group ASA
Arne Blystad/OHT ASA
Qatar Navigation – Milaha
Econnect Energy AS
Island Drilling AS
OHT Alfa Lift AS
TECO 2030 AS
Wellesley Petroleum AS
France Pelagique SAS
J.D. Irving, Limited / Atlantic Harrier Limited Partnership
Southern Wind Shipyards (PTY) Limited
Westcon Yards AS
Green Island Shipholding
Optime Subsea AS
Pareto Securities ASA
- Advised Vard Group on contracting additional vessels for advanced maritime operations in the development and service of the offshore wind market.
- Representing Kimek AS and its insurers in a NOK120m dispute following a capsizing of a vessel near their dock in Kirkenes, Norway.
- Advising Optime Subsea AS with establishing international strategic cooperation structures and product sale and service agreements in the Gulf of Mexico and West Africa.
Wikborg Rein’s offshore construction and shipping practice is praised for being ‘always available, with broad experience and support from its international branches and legal network’. Dispute resolution advice is a key pillar of the practice, and co-head Herman Steen is highly regarded for his contentious experience. Co-head Øyvind Axe’s main areas of expertise include transactional mandates, including asset sale and purchase deals, financings and restructurings. Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen completes the group head trio, and has extensive expertise in international transactions, leveraging his dual Norway and England and Wales qualifications. Former SANDS maritime law practice head Oddbjørn Slinning joined in 2022, bolstering the litigation, newbuild and ship conversion project capabilities. Offshore energy is within the purview of Morten Valen Eide, and Christian James-Olsen is also recommended.
Øyvind Axe; Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen; Herman Steen
Other key lawyers:
Morten Valen Eide; Christian James-Olsen; Jens Drageset; Oddbjørn Slinning; Tormod Ludvik Nilsen
‘Always available, broad experience, support from their international branches and legal network.’
‘I have recently worked a lot with partner Christian James-Olsen and associate Jens Drageset. Both provide quick, quality feedback. They are able to convey legal perspectives in a simple, understandable and case efficient manner. They are always available. Even after working long hours, they are in a good mood, and we always find a way forward.’
‘Strong knowledge and good availability.’
‘Tormod Ludvik Nilsen and Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen, the two individuals that we use most frequently, deliver an excellent services to us.’
‘Good cooperation between various types of expertise.’
‘Good availability, and quick feedback. Partners are assisted by talented associates.’
Fred. Olsen Windcarriers
Gram Car Carriers
Norwegian Royal Navy
- Assisting Odfjell Oceanwind AS with the negotiation of contracts regarding the engineering, procurement and construction of Mobile Offshore Wind Units, as well as the subsequent operation, maintenance and lease of the Mobile Offshore Wind Units.
- Assisted Norwegian cruise ferry operator Havila Kystruten AS in taking delivery from Turkish yard Tersan Tersanecilik San. Ve Tic. A.S. of two cruise vessels intended for a cruise along the Norwegian costal line.
- Assisted ASKO Maritime AS with the negotiation of the shipbuilding contracts, project follow-up and taking delivery of two electric zero emission and autonomous vessels.
‘Competence, information, and availability’ are key attributes of the offshore group at Arntzen de Besche according to clients. Advising a wide range of companies on contentious and non-contentious shipping matters, core areas of expertise for the group also include oil and gas mandates, leveraging the firm’s expertise in the sector and advising on some of the industry’s significant developments on the Norwegian continental shelf. The offshore construction group also has a strong track record in aquaculture and fishery projects. Karl Erik Navestad spearheads the practice and is noted for his expertise in oil and gas industry projects. Ole Skeidsvoll Moe and Anders Rødland also have extensive expertise in the industry.
Karl Erik Navestad
Other key lawyers:
Ole Skeidsvoll Moe; Anders Rødland
‘Great understanding and knowledge, provides support within other areas if needed, all in all a great team to work with.’
‘Helpful and quick responses when needed. Demonstrates understanding and knowledge about the relevant topics. Good communication and collaboration skills.’
‘Dedicated, well-prepared and interested in finding the best solution for the client. Easy to communicate and discuss with.’
‘Competence, information, availability.’
Altera Infrastructure Production AS
- Advised Nordlaks Oppdrett on its ground-breaking “Havfarm” project, a large fish farming facility.
- Advising Nordlaks Oppdrett on the legal aspects of the construction of the “Hydra” project.
- Assisting biofuel company, Biokraft AS with every stage of establishing a 25 million m3 liquid biogas (LBG) plant at Skogn, Norway.
‘Outstanding in her competence, communication, and thoroughness’, Gry Bratvold and oil and gas offshore construction expert Yngve Bustnesli lead the offshore group at Kvale Advokatfirma DA. Advising on high-profile projects nationally and overseas, other core expertise of the team include advising oil and gas industry players on all stages of the offshore project life cycle, from tender processes to developments to disputes; the group has also recently been active in the burgeoning offshore wind industry. Andreas Stang Lund has substantial experience in oil and gas-related disputes and Lilly Kathrin Relling is a contract specialist. Senior associate Marte Roen is also recommended.
Gry Bratvold; Yngve Bustnesli
Other key lawyers:
Lilly Kathrin Relling; Marte Roen; Andreas Stang Lund
‘In a quite broad sense, the Kvale team is just a very pleasant professional group that treats both sides of the table with respect. Each lawyer has their individual strengths and weaknesses (and specialities), but in general, Kvale is exceptional at creating a good atmosphere during client negotiations (pre-project, during project, post project).’
‘Gry Bratvold is outstanding in her competence, communication, and thoroughness. Her #1 talent is finding resolution, outside of contract agreements, leading to best possible win-win’s during any project dispute.’
WR Berkley Insurance (Europe)
Eagle Burgmann Norway
CiTECH Energy Recovery Solutions UK
- Advising Iberdrola Renovables Internacional on its contractual negotiations with the turbine contractor and the EPCI contractor for the construction of Flagship Project, a 10MW floating wind turbine and a semi-submersible floating concrete structure to be placed at the Met Centre in Norway.
- Advising BW Offshore on a set of contracts for operation and maintenance of an FPSO in Asia.
- Advising Pandion Energy and acting as a member of the Valhall negotiating team related to the King Lear fields and the request for use of Valhall/Hod infrastructure and construction of new shared facilities to be located at the Valhall field as part of the development of the King Lear field.
Covering the full spectrum of shipping and offshore services work, Advokatfirmaet Schjødt advises on shipbuilding issues, construction projects, modifications, charterparties, ownership issues and management structures. Henrik Aadnesen advises shipping companies, yards and contractors on financings, transactions and other projects in the shipping, offshore and oilfield services sectors. Litigation and arbitration proceedings are the purview of Trond Sollund, who is trusted by both domestic and international oil and oil services companies. Based in the Ålesund office, Stian Tennfjord is the go-to name for contractual and corporate issues, particularly in relation to shipyards, while Sverre Bjelland is the key name in Stavanger. At the non-partner level, senior lawyer Rebecca Lund Nakkim is also recommended. Norman Hansen Meyer joined the practice in mid-2023.
Rebecca Lund Nakkim; Sverre Bjelland
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Aadnesen; Trond Sollund; Stian Tennfjord; Norman Hansen Meyer
Ocean Yield AS
Höegh LNG AS
Vard Group AS
GC Rieber Shipping ASA
Spar Shipping AS
Volstad Shipping AS
- Assisted Ocean Yield AS with the purchase of two 36,000 ethylene gas carrier newbuildings, to be constructed at Jiangsu Yangzi-Mitsui Shipbuilding in China.
- Acted on behalf of Vard Group AS as the ship builder on successfully securing the design and construction contract for three offshore wind support vessels with North Star.
- Assisted Ocean Yield AS with the purchase of two suezmax newbuild tankers, with ten-year bareboat charters to Nordic American Tankers Ltd., structured as sale and lease back transactions.
The offshore construction and shipbuilding practice at Wiersholm is multi-disciplinary in nature, covering a variety of shipping mandates, including work relating to cruise and expedition vessels, tankers, LNG and container vessels, car carriers, and fish farming industry vessels, acting for domestic and international companies. Areas of strength for the group include litigation and arbitration proceedings, bolstered by the firm’s well-recognised dispute resolution team. Karl Even Rygh is a newbuild and conversion project expert, and Kristine Hasle excels in financing mandates. Christian Hauge and Helge Morten Svarva are both dispute resolution specialists, focusing on shipping insurance and offshore construction claims respectively. Debt financing and restructuring matters are the purview of Atle Gabrielsen, and oil and gas offshore construction projects are Sondre Dyrland’s area of expertise. Managing associate Mattias Grieg is also recommended.
Karl Even Rygh; Kristine Hasle; Helge Morten Svarva
Other key lawyers:
Christian Hauge; Atle Gabrielsen; Sondre Dyrland; Mattias Grieg
Golden Ocean Group Limited
Avance Gas Holding Ltd.
Viking Supply Ships
MPC Container Ships ASA
Western Bulk Chartering AS
Sinoceanic Shipping AS
Arendals Dampskibsselskab AS (ADS)
OSM Maritime Group
Flex LNG Ltd
Electromagnetic Geoservices ASA (EMGS)
Bud og Hustad Forsikring
Maersk Supply Service
ADS Maritime Holding Plc
J. Lauritzen Singapore Pte. Ltd
Pareto Securities AS
ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
The Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy
SFL Corporation Ltd
ABB Group Ltd
DESS Aquaculture Shipping AS
Moss Havn KF (the port authority of Moss)
Liberty Mutual Insurance SE
The Norwegian Ministry of Trade, Industry and Fisheries
- Advising the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy as sole legal adviser on its full-scale carbon capture and storage project (CCS).
- Successfully defended classification society DNV from a NOK15bn damages claim from the Norwegian state following the total loss of the frigate Helge Ingstad.
- Assisted SFL Corporation with a tender for two newbuild car carriers to be chartered to Volkswagen on long term charter parties.