Offshore construction and shipbuilding in Norway
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt’s shipping and offshore services expertise spans the full range of issues from deep sea shipping work and petroleum law to shipbuilding contracts and litigation. Group leader Henrik Aadnesen counts shipping companies, yards, brokers, contractors, lenders and merchant banks as clients; the group also fields construction and litigation specialist Amund Bjøranger Tørum, litigator Trond Sollund and Ålesund office head and shipyard expert Stian Tennfjord. The practice also benefited from the firm’s merger with oil and gas boutique Michelet & Co in early 2019. Clients include Aker Floating Production, Transocean, Höegh LNG and Ocean Yield.
‘Hands-on dedicated partners and lawyers with quick response times and turn-around with high precision on deliverables. Unique industry knowledge that fits our needs.‘
Aker Floating Production AS
GC Rieber Shipping ASA
Höegh LNG AS
Ocean Yield ASA
Spar Shipping AS
Volstad Shipping AS
Vard Group AS
Aker Biomarine AS
- Advising Vard Group on the negotiation of two building contracts for cruise ships with Viking Cruises.
- Assisted Prosafe with the renegotiation of construction contracts for three accommodation units.
- Acted for Aker BioMarine on a contract for a state-of-the-art new-build krill vessel from Vard.
BAHR’s highly regarded practice, which ‘offers innovative solutions to difficult problems’, handles complex contentious and non-contentious mandates across the offshore construction and shipbuilding arena including shipbuilding contract issues and acquisitions, development projects and disputes. The group’s client roster includes high-profile market players including Equinor, Northern Drilling and Golden Energy Offshore Services; the practice also remains a go-to name for Aker BP, which it recently advised on two separate alliance agreements for jackups and semi-submersibles. Geir Gustavsson leads the oil services and shipping department and has notable expertise in international shipbuilding projects and project finance work; other key individuals include Haakon Flaatten, Jan Einar Barbo and Morten P Smørdal, who leads the offshore construction group. Anne Dahl Frisak was recently promoted to the partnership, and Eirik Høiby joined from Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS in 2020.
‘BAHR has a good set up and mix of lawyers and partners ready to take on small and large projects. The lawyers at BAHR receive systematic top-class on-the-job-training, and as far as I can see are taught all elements of relevant legal matters, case handling, and client interaction.‘
‘They are very responsive to clients’ requirements and are able to offer innovative solutions to complex problems.‘
‘Highly competent, efficient and service-minded, and sees the whole picture.‘
‘Jan Einar Barbo is an industry leader. Morten Smordahl is an efficient all-rounder.‘
‘Geir Gustavsson stands out as a very commercially-oriented lawyer with a result-oriented focus and deep insights in relevant legal matters. Always responsive, available, and has a proactive approach.‘
Aker BP ASA
Northern Drilling Limited
Golden Energy Offshore Services AS
Torghatten Nord AS
Aker Energy AS
FosenNamsos Sjø AS
Østensjø Rederi AS
Torghatten Nord AS
- Assisted Aker BP with two separate alliance agreements; one with Maersk Drilling and Halliburton for jackups, and one with Odfjell Drilling and Halliburton for semi-submersibles.
- Advised Northern Drilling on agreements to purchase two new-build offshore drilling ships from Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering.
- Acting for Golden Energy Offshore Services on an agreement with Nantong Rainbow Offshore and Engineering Equipments securing the rights to acquire two new-build multi-purpose platform supply vessels.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS has notably expanded beyond its traditional contractual expertise following its merger in early 2019 with shipping, energy and natural resources boutique Kyllingstad Kleveland Advokatfirma DA, which brought practice co-head and offshore project specialist Odd-Arne Kleveland and shipping project expert Christian Steen Eriksen into the department. Practice co-head Nils Bugge is highly regarded for his shipbuilding contract, charter party and management agreement expertise, and Norman Hansen Meyer is a key contact for shipowners and shipyards. Eirik Høiby joined BAHR in 2020.
‘In-depth knowledge of the business drivers in combination with the legal environment in which corporates and projects work under. Fully committed team with the capacity and flexibility to support when and where needed.‘
‘The individuals have excellent knowledge of the business in addition to the T&C’s our company is working under.‘
Deep C Solutions
Kleven Verft AS
Acta Marine B.V.
Reach Subsea ASA
- Advising Faerder Tankers on its order of eight Suezmax oil tankers to be built by Dalian yard in China.
- Representing Deep C Solutions in a contract dispute with DUC Diving relating to the provision of subsea equipment for the development of an offshore wind farm in Germany.
- Assisting SCF Geo with its co-operation agreement and joint venture with Polarcus for the provision of seismic services to Exxon in Russia.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig leverages the firm’s national footprint with teams in Oslo, Bergen, Tromsø and Stavanger led by Erlend Lous, Jan Vablum, Kenneth Mikkelsen and Gunnar Espeland respectively; the Oslo and Bergen teams focus on yard and financing work, the Stavanger group handles offshore construction and the Tromsø practice advises on shipbuilding and ship repair work. Other key practitioners include Oslo-based Christine Rødsæther, who focuses on shipping transactions, and maritime specialists Christian Bjørtuft Ellingsen and Lars Inge Ørstavik. The practice counts shipyards, shipowners, banks, managers, oil companies and financiers as clients; examples include Fjord 1, Nordea Bank, Drydocks World Dubai and Seatankers Management Company.
‘We have worked With Christine Rødsæther for more than 10 years and she is highly skilled and service orientated, always available and provides prompt responses to our requests.‘
Seatankers Management Company Limited
Offshore Merchant Partners
DVB Bank SE
Endur ASA and its subsidiaries
Westcon Yards AS
ABN AMRO Bank N.V., DNB Bank ASA, NIBC Bank N.V.
Nordea Bank AB filial I Norge
Fjord 1 AS
Volstad Maritime AS
Fosen Yard AS
Oma Baatbyggeri AS
Drydocks World Dubai
- Advising Yara Norge on its project to develop an autonomous cargo solution system including the construction of the world’s first autonomous zero-emission vessel.
- Assisting Yara Marine Technologies with its supply of gas exhaustion cleaning systems to several shipowners and shipyards.
- Representing the bankruptcy estate of Noryards BMV in a dispute relating to a final account for a refurbishment contract for three coast guard vessels.
With ‘excellent negotiation and analytical skills’, Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS acts for offshore yards, shipyards, EPC contractors, suppliers, shipowners, rig owners and oil and gas companies on a range of contentious and non-contentious mandates including restructurings, development projects, contractual issues and disputes. Noteworthy practitioners include construction project specialist Jacob F Bull, shipping practice head Mads Haavardsholm, Henrik Hagberg, who also assists with insurance work; and Pål Lieungh, who has experience handling international projects. Litigator Kristine Hyldmo Bjørnvik, who joined from Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS in 2019, made partner in early 2020.
‘Thommessen’s team has excellent negotiation and analytical skills. I can highly recommend them.‘
‘The group is pragmatic and to the point.‘
‘Pål Lieung is a very good negotiator – very convincing and able to find commercial solutions.‘
‘Jacob Bull is an excellent legal thinker.‘
‘Jacob Bull has a sharp legal mind, but with the ability to combine it with real life experience and industry knowledge.‘
Equinor ASA (previously Statoil ASA)
DNO International ASA
RAK Petroleum PLC
Enhanced Drilling AS
Dong E&P A/S
Gdansk Shiprepair Yard “Remontowa” S.A.
Vard Group AS
Fearnley Advisors AS/Transportation Recovery Fund
Apollo Asset Ltd/Hunter Group ASA
Arne Blystad/Offshore Heavy Transportation
Qatar Navigation – Milaha
Connect LNG AS
Island Drilling AS
OHT Alfalift AS
TECO Tech AS
- Advised Apollo Asset and Hunter Group on the negotiation of seven shipbuilding contracts for eight VLCC newbuilds to be delivered by Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering.
- Assisting OHT Alfalift with the negotiation of a contract with China Merchants Heavy Industry for the construction of a semi-submersible offshore wind farm foundation installation vessel.
- Acted for Cargow Investments on its fleet renewal program including four vessels from Taizhou Sanfu Ship Engineering in China.
Gaute Gjelsten and Øyvind Axe jointly lead the department at Wikborg Rein, which handles transactional and litigation matters for a range of purchasers, shipyards and suppliers; key example clients include Fjord 1, Solstad Offshore, Odfjell and Transocean. Axe, senior lawyer Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen and Finn Bjørnstad focus on transactional work while Gjelsten, Ola Nisja and Trond Eilertsen have extensive contentious experience. Øystein Meland has also been active in shipping-related competition mandates. In a recent highlight, Eilertsen advised Seadream on a shipbuilding contract for a cruise vessel. Morten Valen Eide and Marius Egeberg were recently promoted to the partnership.
‘Strong legally with vast experience in this particular field and also knows the opponents well. Strong commercially and highly creative when needed.‘
‘Always available. Strong commercially and in-depth knowledge of the sector and the opponents. At the top of their game with regard to legal competence.‘
‘Individuals are effective at finding solutions (not to create billing hours), direct and to the point and always available. Øyvind Axe is also knowledgeable within different areas of our business, not only contracts but also financing.‘
Assuranceforeningen Gard – gjensidig – / Gard AS
Pareto Securities AS
Odfjell Drilling (UK) Ltd.
Norwegian Hull Club – gjensidig assuranseforening
Solstad Offshore ASA
Stolt Tankers BV
The London Steam-Ship Owners Mutual Insurance Association Ltd.
Fearnley Securities AS
Knutsen NYK Offshore Tankers
The Swedish Club
Awilco Drilling plc
Floatel International Ltd.
- Assisted Seadream with its negotiation of a shipbuilding contract for a cruise vessel with 110 passenger cabins at Damen Shipyard in the Netherlands.
- Acted for the Royal Norwegian Navy on the construction of a new logistic vessel including issues regarding severe delays.
- Advised Fjord1 on the financing of its extensive new-build programme for over 15 new ferries.
Arntzen de Besche utilises its domestic network of offices in Oslo, Trondheim and Stavanger to handle offshore construction projects and contentious issues for clients in the oil and gas, aquaculture and fisheries, shipping and shipbuilding sectors; the group has recently advised on the development of offshore aquaculture farms and assisted with the establishment of a liquid biogas plant. Karl Erik Navestad heads up the practice, which also includes litigator Stian Fagervold and Trondheim-based Ole Skeidsvoll Moe, who focuses on offshore oil and gas projects. Atle Gabrielsen joined Wiersholm in early 2019.
‘Stian Fagervold has in-depth knowledge of the industry and is exceptional at going into the details of complicated technical matters.‘
Lundin Norway AS
Teekay Petrojarl AS
- Assisting Nordlaks with its projects for developing and constructing large offshore aquaculture farms.
- Acting for Biokraft on its establishment of the world’s largest operating liquid biogas plant.
- Advised Corvis Energy Holding on its acquisition of Grenland Energy.
Construction and dispute resolution boutique Advokatfirmaet Glittertind AS is a key name in the market for construction litigation. Geir-Arne Borgestrand leads the industry and energy group, which ‘combines solid expertise in contract and civil litigation with good knowledge of the offshore construction industry’, and also fields highly regarded litigator and construction specialist Nils-Henrik Pettersson. Clients include Crudecorp and Sub-Seatech Contracting.
‘Highly qualified lawyers with a lot of experience in court proceedings.‘
‘Glittertind combines solid expertise in contract and civil litigation with good knowledge of the offshore construction industry. The firm also has good technical/IT capabilities, making them effective in their work.’
‘Geir-Arne Borgestrand stands out for his ability to navigate complex and extensive issues, and his ability to lead and motivate both the clients and his internal team.‘
Sub-Seatech Contracting Corp.
- Acting for Sub-Seatech in a dispute relating to the termination of a contract to upgrade a vessel and subsequent cable laying operation.
At Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS, the team, which has ‘extensive industry and commercial knowledge’, is jointly led by Mikal Brøndmo and Christopher L. Sveen; Brøndmo focuses on oil and gas litigation and Sveen primarily handles domestic and international transactions. The group is singled out for its offshore construction expertise and counts Aibel, Heerema and Kværner as top offshore construction contractor clients; other examples include National Oilwell Varco Group, Aker Solutions and Forsvaret. The team is also increasingly involved in shipbuilding mandates and also assists with field developments and litigation. Kristine Hyldmo Bjørnvik departed to Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS in early 2019.
‘The team has had a strong focus on the issues at hand and has great work ethics. It was a pleasure to meet and work with the team as they were always well prepared and organised.‘
‘Christopher L Sveen has supreme industry insight and knowledge of his clients. Christopher plays a key role in coordinating all work and ensured the continuity and safeguarding of all advice received.‘
‘Christopher Sveen has unique knowledge of the Norwegian standards, the industry and the players within the industry.‘
Barents Naturgass AS
Broadview Energy Solutions B.V.
Certex Norge AS
Draka Norsk Kabel AS
Forsvaret (the Norwegian Navy)
Fortis Petroleum AS
Heerema Fabrication Group B.V.
Heerema Marine Contractors B.V.
National Oilwell Varco Group
Nexans Norway AS
Norsk Industri (The Federation of Norwegian Industries), Oil & Gas
Svalbard local government
Vinje Industri AS
Würth Industri Norge AS
EMAS AMC AS’ bankruptcy estate
- Advised Norsk Industri on the development and implementation of the new standard contracts for deliveries to the Norwegian continental shelf.
- Representing EMAS against Statoil Petroleum (now Equinor Energy) in a dispute relating to an EPCI subsea contract.
- Advising the Norwegian Navy on its shipbuilding contracts with Noryards BMW and the modification of three vessels.
Jens Brede and Yngve Bustnesli co-head the department at Kvale Advokatfirma DA, which has notable strength in the oil and gas sector and counts oil companies, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers and distributors as clients. The group handles the full range of offshore projects and disputes; Brede and Andreas Stang Lund are key names for litigation, Bustnesli is experienced in petroleum law and offshore contracts, and Gry Bratvold, who joined from Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS in mid-2019, acts for clients in the oil services sector.
Maersk Drilling A/S
WR Berkley Insurance (Europe)
Norwegian Coastal Administration
Eagle Burgmann Norway
- Advising HTec on a project for the construction of a water treatment module for the Statoil Johan Castberg oil platform.
- Acting for Equinor in a dispute relating to the termination of a drilling contract with COSL Innovator.
- Assisting Solution Seeker with its contracts with oil companies and investors relating to offshore projects.
Wiersholm’s offshore construction group is led by litigator Helge Morten Svarva while the shipbuilding team is headed up by Karl Even Rygh, who specialises in new-build projects. The practice is particularly active in litigation and arbitration and is increasingly handling field development and project mandates; it acts for foreign and Norwegian operators and oil services contractors on issues on the Norwegian continental shelf. Litigator Christian Hauge, construction team head Ronny Lund, and Sondre Dyrland are key names to note. The department also recently recruited Atle Gabrielsen from Arntzen de Besche; he is experienced in financing work.
‘Qualified lawyers with experience in the oil and gas sector.‘
Avance Gas Holding Ltd.
Golden Ocean Group Limited
ConocoPhillips Skandinavia AS
The Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy (“MPE”)
Ship Finance International Limited
ABB Group Ltd
Flex LNG Ltd
DESS Aquaculture Shipping AS
Sinoceanic Shipping AS
BMO Entreprenør AS
Viking Supply Ships
Moss Havn KF (the port authority of Moss)
- Advising the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy on its carbon capture and storage project.
- Represented DNV in liability claims against Grieg relating to the classification of new-build vessels.
- Assisted Frontline with its acquisition of a VLCC resale, which is under construction at Hyundai.