Advokatfirmaet Schjødt stands out for the combination of its traditional shipping group and offshore construction practice, which specialises in matters involving subsea units and offshore support vessels. The team sits within the firm's broader oil and gas department. Department head, litigator and arbitrator Henrik Aadnesen is an expert in transactions, finance work and project management issues; and Stian Tennfjord, who applies his contract and corporate law expertise to shipyard mandates, leads the Ålesund office. Senior associate Rebecca Lund Nakkim provides energy and shipping advice and focuses on shipping transactions and ship finance work.
Maritime law in Norway
Other key lawyers:
Rebecca Lund Nakkim; Stian Tennfjord
‘On top of every task, efficient and timely deliveries, with the ability to run projects without wasting time. Huge working capacity.’
‘Henrik Aadnesen is on top of things and very dedicated. He spends time understanding the tasks, and is a valuable discussion partner. He gets things done and forms a brilliant group together with his team, in particular Rebecca Lund Nakkim (senior associate).’
‘Very responsive and pragmatic approach from Henrik Aadnesen.’
‘Stian Tennfjord is highly qualified and his experience as an in-house lawyer provides deep knowledge and understanding of the practical as well as the legal issues relevant to the industry. Stian is efficient and available and always a pleasure to work with.’
Aker Floating Production AS
GC Rieber Shipping ASA
Höegh LNG AS
Ocean Yield ASA
Spar Shipping AS
Volstad Shipping AS
Vard Group AS
- Acted for Intership AS, the shipowner, on the successful acquisition of two well boats including structuring and securing long-term financing for the investments.
- Assisted Ocean Yield ASA with the purchase of four modern LR2 product tankers, with nine-year bareboat charters to companies owned and guaranteed by Navig8 Topco Holdings Inc.
- Assisted Ocean Yield ASA with the purchase of two newcastlemax dry bulk newbuildings, with thirteen-year bareboat charters to companies owned and guaranteed by 2020 Bulkers Ltd., structured as sale and lease back transactions.
BAHR has a strong shipping department with a local and global reputation, with clients including leading Norwegian and international shipping companies, owners and operators, banks and marine insurers. The team is led by the highly regarded Geir Gustavsson, who focuses on shipbuilding and project finance mandates, and draws expertise from several departments to provide multidisciplinary advice covering corporate, equity and capital markets transactions, ship finance work, tax issues and disputes as well as insurance matters, construction contracts and M&A. Anne Dahl Frisak is highly regarded for her experience in transactions, commercial shipping issues and traditional dry shipping work.
Other key lawyers:
Anne Dahl Frisak
‘Proactive, result-oriented and commercially driven with deep insights into legal doctrine. Geir Gustavsson stands out.’
‘Good competence and experience in maritime laws. Close monitoring of the processes, trustworthy and always delivers on time.’
‘Geir Gustavsson is excellent in his field and a good discussion partner.’
‘Very good industry knowledge, competent personnel and service minded.’
‘Geir Gustavsson is competent, knows the industry very well and sees the whole picture – flexible, commercial, service minded. Anne Dahl Frisak is competent, efficient, communicates well, and is flexible and service-minded.’
The John Fredriksen group
The Aker group
Assuranceforeningen Skuld (Gjensidig)
Norwegian Hull Club
Philly Shipyard ASA
- Acted as legal adviser to Philly Shipyard ASA on a $1.5bn contract award for the construction of up to five National Security Multi-Mission Vessels from TOTE Services.
- Advised Østensjø Rederi, one of the leading companies in the offshore wind sector, on its order and construction contracts for four CSOVs for its offshore wind business, as well as charter contracts for the vessels.
- Acted as lead counsel to Frontline on a $670m transaction with Trafigura where Frontline acquired 10 Suezmax tankers with an option to acquire four additional Suezmax tankers.
Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig has deep roots in the jurisdiction with offices in Oslo, Bergen, Tromsø and Stavanger, respectively led by Erlend Lous, Jan Vablum, Kenneth Mikkelsen and Gunnar Espeland, alongside an international presence in Singapore, which enhances the group's ability to handle cross-border shipping mandates. The group's wide network allows it to advise on all aspects of shipping and offshore matters, including issues relating to the oil and gas, and fishing sectors. Collisions and insolvency matters also feature on the team's workload. Christine Rødsæther is praised for her transactional expertise; litigator Frithjof Herlofsen is also noted.
Erlend Lous; Jan Vablum; Kenneth Mikkelsen; Gunnar Espeland
Other key lawyers:
Christine Rødsæther; Frithjof Herlofsen
‘Extremely good specialist competence. Very good at involving the right lawyers for each case.’
‘Flexibility and availability 24/7 in addition to high competence and willingness to find solutions that are good for the client.’
‘Erlend Lous is very commercial and pragmatic (as opposed to academic). Not afraid of telling clients to adjust their position.’
‘I have mainly worked with Christine Rødsæther, hence my comments mainly apply to her work. Christine is highly qualified, experienced within the maritime industry, efficient and available. She provides practical and realistic advice. I am very pleased with the work she has done throughout the 14 years we have been working together.’
‘The team is well informed about our trade and maritime law in particular. We have collaborated for more than a decade and, with intimate knowledge, they come up with good solutions quickly.’
‘Frithjof Herlofsen provides very thorough and clear advice, showing excellent understanding of the law and related practical issues.’
Maritime Asset Partners Limited (Malta)
En Trust Global Partners
Nippon Supra AS
Partankers XIV AS
Blue Ocean Lease Partners
Proventus Capital Partners
Atlantic Feeder AS
GC Rieber Shipping
Utkilen Shipping AS
Fearnley Securities AS
Pareto Securities AS
DNB Bank ASA
NIBC Bank N.V.
Skandinaviska Enskilda BankenAB
Industriforsikring (Hydro Group)
Offshore Merchant Partners
Ness Risan & Partners
International Registries Inc.
Yara Marine Technologies AS
Golden Ocean Group Limited (Fredriksen)
Seatankers Management Company Limited (Fredriksen)
Fjord 1 AS
Volstad Maritime AS
Fosen Yard AS
Oma Baatbyggeri AS
Endúr ASA and its subsidiaries
Olympic Ship and Olympic Subsea
- Representing Britannia P&I, Twitt Navigation Limited and Tsakos group of companies, the owners and the insurers of the crude oil tanker Sola TS, in the litigation against the Norwegian Government, following the collision with and subsequent sinking of the Norwegian Navy’s frigate KNM Helge Ingstad.
- Acted for Leth Suez Transit AS for two years in negotiations and arbitration proceedings against an Egypt-based counterparty. The arbitration was under the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Acted for Gjensidige Forsikring, a major Scandinavian insurer, in complex legal proceedings before the Norwegian Courts. The claim raises complex legal questions regarding the application of the International Hague Visby Rules and the CRM convention on multimodal transport.
Working closely with the firm's banking and finance, insolvency and M&A departments, Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS provides advice on the full range of maritime and shipping issues. The practice stands out for its involvement in large transactions, listings and mergers in the Norwegian shipping market, and also has an active litigation team. Mads Haavardsholm is the key corporate shipping practitioner and advises clients on the sale and purchase of vessels, transactions, shipbuilding contracts, restructurings and negotiations. The team makes use of a solution for the automation of ship sales and purchases, whereby documents in relation to ship transactions are generated from a questionnaire. Stephen Knudtzon retired in January 2020.
‘Always available. Excellent quality. Superfast delivery.’
‘Mads Haavardsholm is always available, solution-minded and never makes any mistakes.’
‘The team is well-informed about the clients’ trade and maritime law in particular. They come up with good solutions quickly.’
‘Always available. Reliable, practical and solution-oriented.’
Höegh Autoliners and Höegh LNG
Wilh Wilhelmsen Holding ASA
Offshore Heavy Transport AS
Forland Shipping AS
Island Offshore AS
Jo Tankers AS
Knutsen NYK Offshore Tankers ASA
Norwegian Hull Club
BW Maritime/BW Offshore/BW LPG
Team Tankers International Ltd.
Fearnley Advisors AS
TRF Ship Management AS
Clean Marine AS
Kongsberg Gruppen ASA
Gdansk Shiprepair Yard “Remontowa” SA
Tschudi Shipping Company
Hunter Group ASA
J.D. Irving / Atlantic Harrier Partnership Ltd.
Western Bulk Chartering AS
Orient Overseas Container Line Limited
Viking Ocean Cruises
Pareto Securities AS and Pareto Business Management AS
- Representing Bibby Transport Ltd., Gard and Hull & Machinery in legal proceedings which Yara Asia Ltd. has brought before Oslo District Court. The matter is now pending before the Court of Appeal in Oslo, Norway.
- Assisted Clean Marine AS with its merger with FMSI, creating one of the world’s leading suppliers of exhaust gas cleaning systems. Also assisted Clean Marine with contract negotiations for the delivery of exhaust gas cleaning systems to more than 100 vessels.
- Advising OHT Alfa Lift AS on its contract for the construction of a semi-submersible offshore windfarm foundation installation vessel.
Wiersholm's shipping and offshore department is well regarded for its transactional and ship finance work, which is carried out by practice heads Karl Even Rygh and Kristine Hasle , respectively. The team also handles new-build and conversion projects, restructurings, sales and purchases and marine insurance work. Christian Hauge is an expert litigator, arbitrator and mediator, particularly for clients in the shipping and oil industries. Erik Blaker is highly regarded for his longstanding knowledge of arrest, salvage and collision claims.
Karl Even Rygh; Kristine Hasle
Other key lawyers:
Christian Hauge; Erik Blaker
SFL Corporation (previously Ship Finance International)
Golden Ocean Group Limited
- Assisted SFL Corp. Ltd. with the acquisition and lease back of three eco-design crude oil carriers, or VLCCs, in combination with three five-year bareboat charters.
- Acted as counsel for Liberty Mutual Insurance SE on the restructuring of Havyard Group.
- Acted as counsel for J. Lauritzen Singapore Pte. Ltd in a claim filed by cargo owner Yara Asia against the vessel owner and the charterer.
Praised as 'the only true wet law practice in Norway', Wikborg Rein has a stand-out maritime law practice. Recognised for its strength in national contentious issues, the team also leverages its international offices in London, Shanghai and Singapore to handle cross-border work. Litigator Gaute Gjelsten heads up the department, which includes Bergen-based deputy head Øyvind Axe, who is a key name for transactional work. A sub-team led by Morten Lund Mathisen, including highly regarded practitioner Herman Steen, handles maritime and offshore emergencies, including collisions, casualties and pollution issues. Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen leads the shipping offshore transaction practice in Oslo.
Gaute Gjelsten; Øyvind Axe
Other key lawyers:
Herman Steen; Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen; Morten Lund Mathisen
‘One of the biggest marine practices in Norway. Great quality lawyers.’
‘Herman Steen is very commercial and knowledgeable not only legally but also when it comes to business needs.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the industry and especially our niche with an extraordinary ability to provide seamless advise across legal areas such as financing, corporate, capital markets, insolvency, tax and maritime law.’
‘Andreas Fjærvoll-Larsen is attentive, available and has unparalleled understanding of clients’ businesses.’
‘Probably the best maritime law team in Norway.’
‘A very strong shipping practice, both dry and wet law, probably Norway’s strongest team in contentious issues. The only true wet law practice in Norway.’
‘The degree of technical knowledge and attention to detail is second to none.’
‘Morten Lund Mathisen is recommended for his engagement, investigation and quality of reporting.’
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier
Norwegian Hull Club
- Assisting Solstad Offshore ASA with the restructuring of the group’s NOK34bn debt liabilities.
- Assisted Steamship Insurance Management Services Limited, Norwegian Hull Club – Gjensidig Assuranseforening with issues arising from cruise ship VIKING SKY, which suffered a blackout and engine shutdown in Hustadvika, Norway in 2019 with 1373 people onboard – 479 were helivaced off the ship, some with injuries.
- Acting on behalf of the owners and insurers of chemical tanker ‘Stolt Commitment’, which collided with cargo ship ‘Thorco Cloud’ in the Singapore Strait in Indonesian territorial waters in late 2015.
Kvale Advokatfirma DA is distinguished by its expertise in both private law matters, including charterparties, marine contracts, casualties and insurance law, and also public work, including mandates involving pollution issues, sanctions and governmental aspects. The team has also been particularly active in financial and restructuring matters. Kristian Lindhartsen, who leads the practice, focuses on marine insurance work, with specialist expertise in coverage disputes and direct-action work. The team expanded in 2020 with the additions of transactional and corporate counsel Henrik Grung, who mainly assists shipowners, banks and yards, and employment lawyer Monica Gjerde Sperre, who acts for shipping companies and land facilities in the fishery and offshore industries.
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Grung; Monica Gjerde Sperre
‘The team is reliable, quick to respond, constructive and structural. High quality service.’
‘In contrast to many of its Norwegian competitors, this maritime group focuses on operational issues. This gives access to lawyers that understand our business very well, which we as clients benefit from saving time and costs. The firm offers an attractive price point, which does not affect its level of service or quality of advice.’
‘The relevant partners are hands-on and attentive, always with a high-quality approach.’
Bourbon Offshore Norway
First Marine A/S
Brit Syndicate 2987
Nørresundby Rederi & Shipping af
- Advising Bourbon Offshore Norway on its financial and legal restructuring.
- Advising GIEK and SR-Bank on the restructuring of PSV Invest II.
- Represented First Marine in a dispute against Schenker AS and Schenker Ocean Ltd following damage to a consignment of salmon under transport from Oslo to Manila.
SANDS has a growing market share in the shipping arena, and its team is best known for advising on matters relating to LNG carriers and regasification units, cargo and support vessels as well as offshore construction mandates. The group also handles wider corporate and M&A, banking and finance, insurance, restructuring, tax and dispute work, which is coordinated by practice head Marit Kirkhusmo. Oddbjørn Slinning's advice regularly relates to new-build and conversion projects, ship sales and purchases, and offshore installations. Guy Leonard is another key name to note for project development work.
Other key lawyers:
Oddbjørn Slinning; Guy Leonard
‘The team is highly competent and skilled with deep insight into clients’ legal issues and in-depth knowledge of their industries and companies.’
‘Unequalled availability and access to resources even on very short notice at any time. The individuals have a strong customer orientation. SANDS is a valued business partner.’
Base Marine Norway
Kleven Verft AS
- Representing Base Marine Norway in a charter dispute and renegotiation matter with Kuehne + Nagel and Halliburton.
Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS stands out for its experience in advising on charter parties, shipbuilding issues, restructurings and contracts, especially in the oil industry. Christian Steen Eriksen and Nicolai Myren jointly lead the practice, together with fellow co-head Norman Hansen Meyer; they have extensive experience in traditional shipping work, transactions and disputes, and the negotiation and execution of shipping projects.
Norman Hansen Meyer; Christian Steen Eriksen; Nicolai Myren
‘Selmer delivers above what one normally expects from top law firms. Not only are they knowledgeable and professional, they are also extremely efficient and great to work with. The team is very accessible and have a commercial mindset, and provide streamlined advice both within ship finance and transactional work as well as in dispute resolution and enforcement.’
‘Norman Hansen Meyer is a highly knowledgeable and experienced maritime lawyer who is great to work with. He has a very good understanding of the many questions relevant for shipowners.’
‘Provides the right level of expertise within most areas. Pleasant culture and people.’
‘Norman Hansen Meyer has a focused approach combined with exceptional experience with shipping contracts. This means efficient processes and a great product.’
Lorentzen & Stemoco
Union Marine Management Services
Western Bulk Chartering
DSV Air & Sea Norway AS
- Advised Stove Shipping on the sale of the bulk carrier, Stove Phoenix, to a Panama-based purchaser.
- Advised the Norwegian Ministry of Defence on a legal review of the salvage of the Norwegian navy vessel, KNM Helge Ingstad, which suffered a collision and sank off the Norwegian coast in late 2019.
- Acting for Markel International as P&I insurers of a vessel involved in a large cargo damage claim.
The shipping, marine and transport department at Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS is recognised in the market and appreciated by clients for its 'very commercial approach to legal problems'. The team includes practice head Jon Andersen, who is admitted to appear before the Norwegian Supreme Court, as well as Kyrre Kielland, who primarily acts in product liability claims. The group is a key name for recovery claims, recourse actions and general maritime and insurance matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is unique because it comprises not only excellent lawyers, but lawyers who have also worked in in-house positions in the industry, which gives the team a very commercial approach to legal problems.’
‘The team is of a good size with junior, medium and senior experienced lawyers and is able to handle big and small cases alike.’
‘Jon Anderson is head of the team and provides top quality but commercially focused advice, which is very much appreciated by clients.’
‘Professional, quick service.’
Tryg Forsikring NUF
W.R. Berkley Insurance Nordic NUF
Codan Forsikring NUF
Nemi Forsikring AS
MOWI Markets Norway AS
Gjensidige Forsikring ASA
AXA XL, Norway Branch
Zurich Insurance plc, Norway Branch
- Advising City court of Oslo and appointed trustee of the limitation fund following the grounding of the vessel, Full City.
- Advising Gjensidige Forsikring on issues relating to the collision of a cruise ship with a quay at Honningsvåg.
- Acting for WR Berkley Insurance in a claim relating to a vessel collision.
Arntzen de Besche notably assists global providers of marine services, fish farming clients and shipping companies in transactions, joint ventures and bond issuances as well as development and construction projects. Practice Erlend Solberg is singled out for his shipping and maritime expertise covering matters relating to chartering, ship transactions and shipbuilding contracts.
‘Efficient, available, cooperative, constructive and highly skilled team members with great knowledge about the area.’
‘Flexible, efficient, highly competent and always available. Also very constructive and cooperative.’
Magseis Fairfield ASA
Eksportkreditt Norge AS
ABN AMRO Bank N.V.
SpareBank 1 SR-Bank ASA
BOA Offshore AS/Taubåtkompaniet
- Assisting Shearwater Geoservices Holding AS with a transaction with Euronext Paris-listed CGG S.A, whereby Shearwater GeoServices shall acquire five high-end streamer vessels jointly owned by Oslo Børs-listed Eidesvik Offshore ASA and CGG S.A.
- Advising Nordlaks Oppdrett AS on its project for developing and constructing large offshore aquaculture farms.
- Advised Altera Shuttle Tankers LLC on the negotiation, drafting and completion and listing of Altera’s inaugural $125m green bond issuance.