Electricity and renewable energy in Norway
BAHR’s energy practice handles the full spectrum of mandates for a high-profile client list including energy producers and operators, grid owners, investment companies and developers; key examples include Statkraft, Hafslund E-CO and Fortum Oslo Varme. The team regularly assists with complex transactions, financing work, contentious mandates and competition issues; it has also recently strengthened its regulatory offering and is a key name in the market for special tax regulations relating to renewable energy. Jon Christian Thaulow heads up the group, Rune Svoren is experienced in transactional electricity work and Helge Olav Bugge focuses on electricity tax and production matters. Other noteworthy individuals include managing partner Thomas Svensen and Rolf Busch.
Jon Christian Thaulow
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is coordinated, flexible and they have good knowledge of the energy industry.‘
‘Thomas K. Svensen has very good knowledge of the energy industry, and also our company, as we have cooperated for several years.‘
Hafslund E-CO AS
Oslo Municipality (Oslo kommune)
Bodø Energi AS
Fortum Oslo Varme AS
Clean Energy Group
- Assisting Hafslund E-CO with its merger with Eidsiva Energi to create Norway’s largest grid company.
- Acting for Fortum Oslo Varme on its carbon capture and storage project.
- Advising Clean Energy Group on the Namakhvani hydropower project in Georgia.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS’ ‘well-knit team of true professionals’ acts for a range of Nordic power and grid companies across wind power production, hydropower production and electricity grid projects. The group ‘combines outstanding competence with longstanding experience’ to handle some of the regions high-profile mandates; it recently advised BlackRock on its acquisition of the Guleslettene wind farm. Aksel Tannum leads the department, which also fields energy specialist Johan Fredrik Remmen, renewables expert Jøran Sandvik, litigator Håkon Bleken and Jarle W Holstrøm, who handles infrastructure mandates and development projects. Clients also praise newly promoted partner Pål Martin Abell, who is ’a rising star of the firm’ and senior lawyer Mari Reitzel Bjerke.
‘The lawyers from Haavind always deliver high-quality advice. Combination of outstanding competence and longstanding experience, which contribute to solving issues in an excellent way. Their thorough work give us as a customer a great deal of security.‘
‘A well-knit team of true professionals, that always stay two steps ahead of the competition. Industry leading in strategic thinking, and challenges the status quo. I have never had a meeting where they don’t come truly prepared.‘
‘The team understands the Norwegian energy business well. Haavind has an excellent resource base of experienced lawyers.‘
‘Pål Martin Abell performs excellently in all circumstances. He is always well prepared and his advice is clear and thoroughly. The experienced partner Johan Fredrik Remmen has unique competence, which is difficult to find somewhere else. Together with Jarle W. Holstrøm, who always perform well, this is a high-quality team.‘
‘Pål Martin Abell is a rising star in the firm, who takes on every challenge with a great mood and professional weight.‘
Axpo Nordic AS and Axpo Trading AG
Agder Energi AS
Salten Kraftsamband AS
Voith Hydro AS
Helgeland Kraft AS
Skagerak Kraft AS
Alcoa Norway ANS
Otra Kraft DA
Sunnfjord Energi AS
Vestavind Kraft AS
Eidsiva Energi AS
Eolus Vind AB / Eolus Vind Norge AS
- Advising BlackRock on its acquisition of the Guleslettene wind farm.
- Assisting Statnett with the establishment of a new central power grid in the north of Norway.
- Acting for Statkraft and Fosen Vind on the establishment of the largest onshore wind power cluster in Europe, including litigation relating to the validity of permits.
Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS is notably active across the renewable space and regularly acts for utility clients in the renewable energy, hydroelectric, wind, heating, waste and bioenergy sectors. The practice also stands out for its regulatory expertise and is active in infrastructure and grid operations work alongside experience in project development work, litigation, licensing issues, environmental law and restructuring matters. Practice head Jens Naas-Bibow regularly handles energy licences and energy sector regulatory work; other key practitioners include power regulation expert Gunnar Martinsen, concession law, corporate and tax specialist Bendik Christoffersen and Jacob F Bull, who advises on energy construction projects. Thomas Borch-Nielsen departed to Advokatfirmaet Grette AS.
Agder Energi AS with subsidiaries
Akershus Energi AS
Eidsiva Energi AS with subsidiaries
Lyse Energi AS with subsidiaries
Nordkraft AS with subsidiaries
Haugaland Kraft AS with subsidiaries
Engie International Holdings BV
Midtfjellet Vindkraft AS
Agder Energi AS with subsidiaries
- Assisting NorthConnect with the establishment of a high-voltage direct-current interconnector between Norway and the UK.
- Acting for Zephyr on the development, sale and project financing of the Guleslettene wind farm.
- Advising Lyse Produksjon on the procurement and construction of the new Lysebotn II hydropower plant.
Wiersholm advises renewable energy operators on the full range of issues encompassing regulatory matters, transactional work, power purchase agreements, financing mandates, project developments and litigation. The practice’s client roster include domestic and international clients with notable examples including Statnett, Statkraft and TrønderEnergi. Inge Ekker Bartnes and Jon Rabben jointly lead the group and are recommended for regulatory, contractual and corporate work; Kristine Hasle Øverby also handles transactional work and renewable project finance issues. Odd-Harald Berg Wasenden joined Arntzen de Besche in 2020.
Inge Ekker Bartnes; Jon Rabben
‘Inge Bartnes has great market knowledge and experience combined with a very commercial approach to transactions.‘
‘A wide competence within the energy sector.’
‘Inge Ekker Bartnes is a highly qualified lawyer in the energy field and has exceptional availability and client engagement.‘
Nord-Trøndelag Elektrisitetsverk AS
The Hafslund Group
SL Capital Partners LLP/ Standard Life Investments
Impax Asset Management (AIFM) Ltd.
Dalane Energi / Dalane Kraft AS
- Advised TrønderEnergi Kraft, Sarepta Energi and NTE Energi on the joint coordinated structure sale of a majority ownership in eight Norwegian wind farms.
- Advising Facebook on its negotiations of long-term power purchase agreements relating to multiple wind farms in Norway.
- Assisting TrønderEnergi with the development of the Fosen Vind wind farm.
Tormod Ludvik Nilsen leads the full service energy and renewables practice at Wikborg Rein, which is singled out for its expertise in the wind and hydropower sectors and also handles grid-related transactions and contentious matters. The group’s wind power expertise encompasses financing, PPA and project development and the group recently advised Stadtwerke München on its acquisition of a majority share in Midgard Vind Holdings. Jan Erik Clausen is a key name in the Bergen office and focuses on energy and electricity matters; and Birgitte Karlsen handles project development work.
Tormod Ludvik Nilsen
‘Tormod Ludvik Nilsen is highly recomended for renewable issues. Tormod always gives feedback or finds someone else with the correct competance to answer. Tormod always answers in good time before the deadline.‘
‘They seem to really care about our business and making sure we are making sound business decisions. They are more than just lawyers, and have great business acumen.‘
Stadtwerke München GmbH
Eidsiva Energi AS
Troms Kraft AS
SUSI Partners AG
Yara International ASA
Lithium Werks Inc.
- Assisted Stadtwerke München with its acquisition of a 70% stake in Midgard Vind Holdings.
- Acted for Luxcara on the refinancing of the Eikeland-Steinsland wind farm.
- Advised BKK on the reorganisation of its business following its acquisition of the grid, hydro, power production, power sales and broadband business of Tysnes Kraftlag and Etne Elektrisitetslag.
Advokatfirmaet Schjødt’s department stands out in the market for its transactional expertise in the hydroelectric, wind and solar sectors; the group also handles regulatory work and dispute resolution. The team fields practitioners across the firm’s Oslo, Bergen and Stavanger offices; Bergen-based practice head Sindre Søndenå Andersen focuses on the wind, hydro and emerging technology sectors, Sverre Bjelland in Stavanger handles cross-border projects and regulatory issues, and Hallvard Gilje Aarseth acts in energy disputes from the Oslo office.
Sindre Søndenå Andersen
Fjordkraft Holding ASA / Fjordkraft AS / TrøndelagKraft AS / Trondheim Kraft (all part of the Fjordkraft group)
Nysnø Klimainvesteringer AS
Norsk Vind Energi AS
Fred Olsen Renewables AS
Clemens Kraft AS
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets / Macquarie Group
Norsk Solar AS
Lyse Energi AS
Fossberg Kraft AS
Fjelberg Kraftlag AS
Engie (fka GDF Suex)
AMF Pensionsforsäkring AB
Tafjord Kraft AS
Jæren Energi AS / Eurus Energy Europe
Renewable Energy Corporation
- Advised on the IPO and listing of shares in Fjordkraft Holding.
- Assisted Fjordkraft and its subsidiary Trøndelag Kraft with the acquisition of TrønderEnergi Marked.
- Acted for Norsk Vind Energi on the development of three wind projects in Bjerkreim.
Advokatfirmaet Hjort leverages its contentious strength to act in energy disputes; the team is also active in transactional work, particularly grid operations, and contractual issues, public procurement matters, security mandates and public law. The practice also has niche expertise in the reindeer industry and the rights of the Sami people as they relate to the development of energy projects in Northern Norway, and also advises on the digitalisation of the energy sector and the expropriation of land for power projects. Kristin Bjella heads up the practice, which also includes transactional experts Rolf Chr. Trolle Andersen and Jørn Uggerud, and digitalisation specialist Kristin Veierød.
‘A firm with very skilled lawyers in the field of environment law with a very high service level and short response times.‘
Agder Energi AS with subsidiaries: Agder Energi Vannkraft AS, Agder Energi Nett AS, Agder Energi Varme AS, LOS Energy
Sogn og Fjordane Energi AS
Energiselskapet Hardanger, with subsidiaries Hardanger Energi AS; Hardanger Energi Nett AS and Hardanger Energi Montasje AS
Nord Pool AS
SFE Produksjon AS
SFE Nett AS
Mirova Eurofidem 4 S.L.P
Øyfjell Vindpark AS
NODES Markets and NODES Tech
- Advising Agder Energi Vannkraft on the development and construction of a new power production plant in Åseral.
- Assisting Energiselskapet Hardanger with a range of matters including its restructuring.
- Acting for Sogn og Fjordane Energi on its possible merger with Sunnfjord Energi.
Kvale Advokatfirma DA advises on the full spectrum of transactional, regulatory and contentious mandates for clients at a regional, domestic and international level; notable examples include Hafslund, TrønderEnergi, aventron and Tafjord Kraft. Group leader Christian Poulsson has substantial expertise in regulatory matters, commodities and derivatives trading and real estate issues; the practice also counts Per Conradi Andersen, who handles transactions, restructurings and disputes, as a key practitioner. The practice also gained Sverre Tysland from SANDS in 2020.
‘Fast responses, outstanding quality on the work done.‘
‘The team combines excellent legal skills with thorough knowledge of the energy markets. They have a pragmatic approach and will not consume more time than strictly needed to do the job.‘
‘Christian Poulsson is a great guy; top litigator with great expertise in energy, most notably renewables.‘
Captiva Capital Management
Swiss Life Asset Management
Augusta & Co
Rauma Energi Nett
Øvre Eiker Energi
- Advised aventron on its acquisition of Storøy Vindpark Gismarvik Vindkraft and the development of its greenfield wind power projects on the south-west coast of Norway.
- Acting for Swiss Life Asset Management and Augusta & Co on the acquisition of long-term hydro power production capacity in Norway from Nord-Trøndelag Elektisitetsverk.
- Representing Nortura in a dispute against Entelios relating to a long-term power and electricity certificate purchase agreement.
Advokatfirmaet Lund & Co DA
Energy boutique Advokatfirmaet Lund & Co DA focuses on public sector clients and advises a range of municipalities and county authorities; the team also counts landowners and energy companies as clients. Other areas of expertise include environmental law issues and matters relating to the use and protection of natural resources. Noteworthy individuals include Stein Stinessen, Caroline Lund and Ulf Larsen.
Other key lawyers:
Benefiting from its merger with Kyllingstad Kleveland Advokatfirma DA in early 2019, Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS has notable expertise in the hydropower industry with clients including Norsk Hydro, Statkraft and multiple municipalities. The group is also active in the wind and solar sectors; it recently advised Solvind Project on the sale of Storøy Wind Farm to Aventron. Håkon Sandbekk leads the department and handles all stages of renewables projects; other key individuals include Roy Slettvold, who acts for several regional utility companies. Senior associate Maria Mikkelsen joined from a position in the Department of Climate and Environment.
Hydro Energi/Norsk Hydro
The Norwegian Export Credit Agency (GIEK)
Varanger Kraft/Varanger Kraft Vind
Equinor (New Energy Solutions)
Fortum Oslo Varme AS
The municipalities of Førde, Fjaler, Jølster, Naustdal, Gaular, Hyllestad and Solund
- Acting for Statkraft on the construction phase of the Fosen wind farm cluster.
- Assisting Solvind Project with the sale of the Storøy wind farm to Aventron.
- Advising Nordpool on its corporate restructuring.
Peter Aall Simonsen leads the energy practice at Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig, which advises on the full range of renewable energy matters including power grid issues, the transmission of electricity, renewable energy projects, hydroelectric power, new technologies and project financings, regulatory matters and transactional work. The group is also singled out for its wind power expertise and has been increasingly active in international projects. The team also has a notable presence in Kristiansand, which includes Robin Aker Jakobsen, who is experienced in power grid regulations and electricity transmissions.
Peter Aall Simonsen
‘Excellent knowledge of all the “do’s and dont’s” for (electric) grid-companies in Norway.‘
‘They know a lot about the electricity market in Norway and what the challenges are.‘
‘The group stands out for its level of attention. Work delivery is simply impressive in both speed and quality.‘
‘I like the way they communicate, especially Robin Aker Jakobsen who is an easy going person.‘
Prime Capital AG
Agder Energi AS
SFE Produksjon AS
GIEK – the Norwegian State Export Credit Agency
Skagerak Nett AS
Gudbrandsdal Energi AS
Troms Kraft Nett
Vestas Wind Turbines A/S
DNB Bank ASA
Finnmark Kraft AS
- Advised Prime Capital on its purchase of Tromsø Vind and Raudfjell Vind, which own the Kvitfjell and Raudfjell wind power projects, which are under construction.
- Assisting Agder Energi with grid and transmission issues including transmission contracts, new grid investments and regulatory matters.
- Acting for Ren on a day-to-day basis including handling grid connection issues, joint standard agreements and matters relating to the construction of a new net.
Arntzen de Besche’s climate, environment and renewables team is primarily based in the firm’s Trondheim office and has notable strength in handling transactional and regulatory matters for local grid and power companies. The practice also advises on hydropower and wind power projects, while the team in Oslo focuses on transactional, competition and contentious mandates. Practice head Steffen G Rogstad counts TrønderEnergi Group as a key client, Erlend Solberg focuses on wind energy projects, and Oslo-based Espen I Bakken handles wind power transactions and state aid issues. Renewable energy and climate rights specialist Odd-Harald Berg Wasenden joined the group in early 2020 from Wiersholm.
Steffen G Rogstad
‘Very focused team. Work was precise and to the point. Very high level of expertise.‘
‘Espen Bakken and Vilde Hannevik Lien are real experts when it comes to state aid and EEA law. Very good legal opinions and their oral representation is extremely good.‘
Sarepta Energi AS
E-Co Energi Holding
NORWEA – Norwegian Windpower Association
Norsk BioEnergiforening (Norwegian BioEnergy Association)
- Assisting Gassco with real property tax issues with two municipalities relating to the Kårstå processing plant to the north of Stavanger.
- Acting for TrønderEnergi and TrønderEnergi Nett on the establishment of a new power grid corporation.
- Advising Biokraft on the establishment of a liquid biogas plant in Skogn.
Advokatfirmaet CLP DA’s renewable energy, power and transmission department, which was formerly part of the corporate group, has notable strength in transactional mandates including acquisitions and divestments; the team’s expertise also encompasses power purchase agreements, project developments, cable and grid projects, energy software issues and clean-tech investments. The group’s client roster includes domestic and international purchasers, sellers, stakeholders and managers; key examples include Agder Energi, Hafslund Marked and eSmart Systems. Lars Gunnar Aas and newly promoted partner Amund Erdal jointly lead the practice.
Lars Gunnar Aas; Amund Erdal
‘The department, led by partners Lars Gunnar Aas and Amund Erdal, is highly responsive, very knowledgeable and has great commercial insight (all crucial for our choice of legal adviser).‘
‘Young and energetic team.‘
‘Lars Gunnar Aas is unique.‘
‘Lars Gunnar has, as our trusted legal adviser, delivered an outstanding service for many years. He is very responsive, extremely knowledgeable and always provides on-point advice. He is also an excellent project manager and manages to stay on top whilst at the same time having full insight into the crucial details.‘
‘Amund Erdal has been a great addition to the renewables team. He is very efficient, and has extensive knowledge of the regulatory framework in addition to being an experienced and first-class M&A lawyer.‘
‘Lars Gunnar Aas is very hands-on in projects. Competent knowledge of the sector and tough in negotiations.‘
Agder Energi AS
Hafslund Marked AS
Agder Energi Vannkraft AS
Fortum Oslo Varme AS
Fortum Markets AS
Statkraft Ventures GmbH
Ånstadblåheia Vindpark AS
Nygårdsfjellet Vindpark AS
Sørfjord Vindpark AS
Røros Elektrisitetsverk AS
Baze Technology AS
Enfo Technology AS
Agder Energi Venture AS
Intex Resources ASA
eSmart Systems AS
Scala Eiendom AS
- Advised Fortum Oyi on the voluntary offer made by Oslo municipality for Hafslund and the subsequent restructuring of the Hafslund Group.
- Assisting eSmart Systems with its capital raise.
- Acting for Agder Energi Fleksibilitet on the establishment of two joint ventures, which will enable the use of flexibility in the grid by opening it up to providers and grid operators.
DLA Piper has key expertise in onshore wind projects and utilises the firm’s wider network to assist with Nordic and global matters. The team is also praised for its construction experience, renewable energy project and transmission systems knowledge, and project financing expertise; clients include DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale and Deutsche Bank. Fredrik Lindblom, who is primarily based in London, leads the team, which also fields managing partner Kaare Oftedal and banking partner Erik Ramm. Dag Thomas Hansson joined Kluge Advokatfirma AS in late 2019.
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
- Advised DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale on the acquisition by BlackRock of a wind farm in western Norway from Zephyr.
- Assisted Landesbank Baden Wuertemberg with the project financing of the Tonstad onshore wind farm project in south-west Norway.
SANDS’ cross-practice team advises on all elements of energy production including transactions, restructurings, regulatory work and advisory matters in the hydropower, wind and solar sectors. Alf Øystein Skudal handles hydropower and grid matters, Halvor Grov assists with renewable sector reorganisations and transactions, and Vidar Johnsen is a construction and contract law specialist. Former group head Sverre Tysland joined Kvale Advokatfirma DA in 2020.
Midt Energi (prev. Gauldal Energi)
Captiva Asset Management
Gudbrandsdal Energi Holding
Vento Ludens GmbH
HW Asset GmbH
- Advised Midt Energi on the divestment of its electrical grid activities.
- Assisting Røros Elektrisitetsverk with its reorganisation, which will enable it to comply with future unbundling requirements.
- Acting for the Scanergy group on multiple purchases of hydropower plants, and also handling the development of a wind farm.