Advokatfirmaet Schjødt AS is particularly known for its work for international and domestic private equity funds. The practice handles a broad range of M&A and capital markets transactions, and also stands out for its expertise in the technology, oil and gas and oilfield services sectors; Geir Evenshaug is the key contact for oil-related work. Tord Fondevik, who acts for blue chip corporations, private equity funds and founders, jointly heads up the team with Knut Smith-Erichsen, who also advises on industrial M&A. Up-and-coming partner Jan Martin Rostveit is one to watch, and, in Stavanger, Dag Sigvart Kaada focuses on energy and technology M&A.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Norway
Knut Smith-Erichsen; Tord Fondevik
Other key lawyers:
Jan Martin Rostveit; Dag Sigvart Kaada; Geir Evenshaug; Robert Romansky
‘Tord Fondevik has a rare combination of excellent legal understanding and focus on achieving the commercial objectives of the project. He is also able to manage all the other resources/disciplines in a complex project, in an efficient way.’
‘The practice is unique in that they understand complex situations, can identify and propose creative solutions and viable paths, are able to plan methodically for negotiations and execute the project tirelessly.’
‘Strong and proven competence across all areas of legal expertise. Always provides driven teams with 24/7 availability.’
‘I work first and foremost with Tord Fondevik, our main lawyer in all we do. Many M&A lawyers try to grow into the role of being their client’s trusted, all-rounder advisor, but no one we have worked with has taken this role better than Tord Fondevik at Schjødt. Having worked with many of the leading Norwegian M&A lawyers, I am not in doubt that Tord is the best M&A lawyer for us. I would even argue that he is the best M&A lawyer in Norway, considering that we are looking for a lawyer combining multiple skills and talents.’
‘Robert Romansky serves both large and midcap clients with the identical high dedication and availability. Fierce in negotiations when needed, and shows pragmatism when sensible.’
Bridgepoint Development Capital Limited
Norvestor Equity AS
Partners Group AG
Agilitas Private Equity LLP
Aker Biomarine, companies in the Aker Group
Petronor E&P Limited
- Advised Euronext N.V. on its public cash tender offer for Oslo Børs VPS Holding ASA, the holding company for the Oslo Stock Exchange and the Norwegian CSD.
- Assisted EVRY ASA as one of the two parties in the cross-border merger with fellow IT giant Tieto Oyj.
- Acted for TGS-NOPEC Geophysical Company ASA on its acquisition of Spectrum ASA.
BAHR is a leader in the market for large transactions, with considerable strength in the oil and energy sector, and an impressive track record in infrastructure deals and real estate M&A. 'With a wide range of knowledge and capabilities', the group has an impressive roster of clients, ranging from engineering companies to international investors. Other core segments of the practice include work in the private equity space, with an excellent fund formation, investment fund and asset management practice. Private equity specialist Øystein Guvåg leads the department alongside deputy head Lars Kristian Sande, who focuses on the telecoms industry and technology companies. Svein Gerhard Simonnæs is also noted for his public and private M&A expertise, and Robin Bakken re-joined the firm in mid-2020. Bjørn Gabriel Reed, shipping expert Rolf Johan Ringdal and corporate governance specialist Lars Knem Christie are also noteworthy individuals.
Øystein Guvåg; Lars Kristian Sande
Other key lawyers:
Svein Gerhard Simonnæs; Bjørn Gabriel Reed; Lars Knem Christie; Rolf Johan Ringdal; Jon Christian Thaulow ; Thomas K. Svensen
‘One of the largest firms in Norway, with a wide range of knowledge and capabilities. Most experienced Norwegian legal PE adviser, which is an advantage when it comes to advising portfolio companies in our PE funds – also in traditional M&A processes.’
Aker, including its affiliates, Aker Solutions, Kvaerner and Aker BP
The John Fredriksen Group, including its affiliates Seatankers, Golden Ocean Group, Frontline, FLEX LNG and Archer, and others.
DNB Bank ASA
- Advised OSE-listed Noreco on its acquisition of Shell’s Danish oil and gas assets, including a related financing of around $1.5bn.
- Acted for Nordea on its €575m acquisition of SG Finans, which provides equipment finance and factoring solutions across Norway, Denmark and Sweden, from Société Générale.
- Advised HitecVision VII on its €1.2bn sale of CapeOmega AS, a Norwegian oil & gas company with significant stakes in some of the key midstream infrastructure on the Norwegian continental shelf, as well as three late-life oil fields, to funds advised by Partners Group.
Advokatfirmaet Thommessen AS is highly regarded for its complex public and private M&A work, often in combination with equity issues and debt financing matters. The practice is also known for its expertise in the renewables, oil and gas, oil services, shipping, telecoms, financial services, aquaculture and biotech sectors. Department head Christian Grüner Sagstad focuses on equity capital markets transactions, acting for numerous private equity houses and financial sponsors, while Hans Cappelen Arnesen and Anders Arnkværn assist various corporate clients including private equity businesses and leading investment banks. Solveig Fagerheim Bugge is noted for her experience in corporate and securities law and regulatory mandates. Other key names include Baard Bale, Ervin Auren and managing associate Øyvind Mork Karlsen is also recommended.
Christian Grüner Sagstad
Other key lawyers:
Hans Cappelen Arnesen; Anders Arnkværn; Solveig Fagerheim Bugge; Øyvind Mork Karlsen; Baard Bale ; Ervin Auren; Lars Eirik Gåseide Røsås; Stig Berge
‘Very strong full-service practice. Excellent team at all levels.’
‘Very solid knowledge about the financial services industry, strong M&A and transaction focus.’
‘Skilled, collaborative, responsive and nimble in their approach. On the commercial side, they have a very good understanding of our business.’
‘The Thommessen team is very capable of advising on the latest SPA trends and deal risk mitigation measures, and is well placed to tap into innovations in new and comparable deal situations. Its high capacity lead individuals and deep back office provides for short turnaround times with quality input.’
‘Christian Sagstad had a remarkable command and capacity as lead in our most important M&A sell side transaction to date. He is commercially minded and can both devise and disentangle complex structures. In negotiations he comes well prepared, always aiming to improve and cement both small and large transaction positions.’
‘Hans Cappelen Arnesen – M&A – very skilful and easy to work with.’
Altor Equity Partners
Det Norske Veritas Holding / DNV GL AS
Odfjell Drilling Ltd.
Oslo Børs VPS Holding
Pioneer Property Group ASA
Reiten & Co.
Akka Technologies SE
- Acted as Norwegian legal counsel to eBay on the sale of its classifieds business to Adevinta for a headline value of approx $9.2bn.
- Advised Vår Energi and its shareholders ENI and HitecVision on all aspects of the $4.5bn acquisition of all ExxonMobil’s remaining participating interests on the NCS.
- Advised Goldman Sachs MBD on its acquisition of a minority stake in EcoOnline, alongside Summa Fund II from Summa Fund I and Viking Venture.
Harald Hellebust leads the M&A practice at Wiersholm, which focuses on large and complex transactions within the Scandinavian market, also handling leading private equity work. The team has notable sector strengths in the consumer goods, media and technology industries. Gunhild Dugstad is noted for her corporate practice, advising on M&A, private equity, stock exchange and securities law; Jarle Kvam is a key contact for cross-border mandates, Kai Thøgersen focuses on the technology and telecoms sectors, and Sverre Sandvik is praised as 'extremely knowledgeable'.
Other key lawyers:
Gunhild Dugstad; Jarle Kvam; Sverre Sandvik; Kai Thøgersen; Ståle Gjengset; Kristian Lind
‘Strong team, always deliver on time and with quality.’
‘Very good when it comes to finding a solution. Deliver on time and with a very high-quality product.’
‘Worked with Ståle Gjengset on an M&A project, excellent assistance, solution oriented and pleasant to work with.’
‘Sverre Sandvik – in addition to his extensive capital markets expertise, he is extremely knowledgeable about corporate law matters.’
‘Kristian Lind is a strong M&A practitioner and is always a pleasure to work with. A rising star on the M&A scene.’
EQT Equity Partners
IK Investment Partners
HG Pooled Management Limited
- Advised Schibsted ASA on Adevinta’s acquisition of eBay’s classifieds group.
- Advised Kongsberg Maritime AS on its $350m sale of Hydroid, Inc. to Huntington Ingalls Industries, the largest supplier of vessels to the US Navy.
- Advised SuperInvest AS on the sale of the SuperOffice group to the Nordic private equity firm Axcel.
Wikborg Rein's team is a top choice for international M&A, with niche expertise in acting for Chinese buyers. The department advises blue chip corporates, international and domestic industrial companies and private equity clients, with particular strengths in the oil and gas, renewables, shipping, fisheries, financial services and technology sectors. Sigurd Opedal, who assists a roster of major Nordic and international private equity and industrial clients, jointly heads up the practice with Ole Henrik Wille, who primarily handles private and public M&A and other equity transactions.
Ole Henrik Wille; Sigurd Opedal
Other key lawyers:
Ketil E. Bøe; Ingeborg V. Aavatsmark
‘Excellent knowledge, listening and communication skills. Fast to understand clients’ needs, and thereafter, rapidly adapt to those needs. Seamless internal communication and collaboration.’
‘High quality, solution-minded, customer value-minded, flexible, humble and agile’
‘Available and always ready to contribute. Good at driving projects and great to work with.’
‘Sigurd Opedal is a great partner. Always available, always ready to give valuable input and is heavily involved in the projects.’
AKVA group ASA
Altor Equity Partners
Antin Infrastructure Partners
Blue Water Energy
EV Private Equity
General Electric Company
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR)
Lerøy Seafood Group
Permira Private Equity Company
Reiten & Co Private Equity
Segulah Private Equity
Tronox Holdings plc
- Assisted private equity funds Summa Equity and Viking Venture with the sale of EcoOnline TopCo AS to Goldman Sachs and Summa Equity Fund II.
- Assisted international private equity fund Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co with its acquisition of shares in Avida and conditional offer to all Avida shareholders.
- Acted as sole Norwegian counsel to Mastercard on its acquisition of Nets’ account-to-account based services including clearing and instant payment services, and e-billing solutions for €2.85bn.
The M&A group at Arntzen de Besche advises domestic and international clients across a broad range of industries, with a particularly strong presence in transactions in the technology, oil and gas, energy, construction, fisheries and aquaculture, and life sciences sectors. The department leverages the firm's debt finance, tax and real estate practices, and houses a strong regulatory team. Practice head Marianne Sahl Sveen concentrates on securities law and M&A, with a particular focus on public and international transactions. Per A Dagslet is a key name for cross-border mandates, Per Kristian Ramsland focuses on oil and gas issues, and Lars Horgen Hinze handles asset management and private equity work.
Marianne Sahl Sveen
Other key lawyers:
Per Dagslet; Per Kristian Ramsland; Lars Horgen Hinze; Jon Martin Atkinson
‘Very rapid turnaround; ability to plan several steps ahead of the competition without leaving steps uncovered.’
‘Per Dagslet stands out as a differentiator. He has deep knowledge on the subjects, but more than anything he is truly engaged.’
‘Ability to cover all legal requirements. Solid engagement and responsiveness. Commercially sound solutions.’
‘Lars Horgen Hinze – Immediately responsive, and comprehensive knowledge of both transactions and contractual issues as well as securities law. A very safe pair of hands, supporting a transactions team without craving for recognition.’
‘Always responsive and helpful. Combined competence is unique. Each individual is quick to refer to an expert on the area if needed.’
‘Service-minded and commercial-oriented, with the ability to adjust the type of advice to the client’s needs.’
‘A dedicated and strong team.’
Benchmark Holdings plc
- Assisted Shearwater GeoServices with its acquisition of five streamer vessels, and two legacy vessels from CGG Marine Resources Norge AS and Eidesvik Offshore ASA, and five complete streamer sets previously owned by CGG.
- Assisted Shearwater with the creation (by Shearwater and CGG) of a new streamer technology joint venture under the Sercel brand name and CGG’s majority ownership.
- Advised Glommen Mjøsen Skog SA, a forest owner association, on its acquisition of approx 30% of the shares in Moelven Industrier ASA, a leading provider of wood based building supplies in Scandinavia and globally, through exercise of pre-emptive rights.
'Hardworking' corporate boutique Advokatfirmaet CLP DA stands out in the market for its focus on private equity and fund work, advising private equity houses, funds, investors and financial institutions. With an extensive group of experienced partners, the team is well-positioned to act on cross-border mandates. 'Dynamic' practice head Lars Gunnar Aas handles a wide range of transactions, investments and restructurings, and has extensive expertise in handling regulatory frameworks for stockbrokers and mutual funds. Other key names to note are Alexander Lund and Jakob Villum, who are 'particularly good to work with on M&A-related matters', and capital markets and M&A specialist Edvard Cock. Hanne Heltne joined the partnership from an in-house position in mid-2020.
Lars Gunnar Aas
Other key lawyers:
Jakob Villum; Alexander Lund; Edvard Cock; Hanne Heltne
‘A hardworking team which makes itself very available to its clients and willing to go the extra mile to achieve its client’s goals and deadlines.’
‘Generally, the CLP team appears to have a very pragmatic and solution-oriented approach particularly in relation to M&A and financing transactions, with a clear focus “to get the job done” through simplicity. Jakob Villum and Alexander Lund are particularly good to work with on M&A related matters’
‘CLP has a team consisting of people with a diverse skillset. The partners have extensive experience in M&A activities and provide high knowledge in addition to creative problem solving capabilities.’
‘The partners and associates at CLP have extensive market understanding and experience. In comparison to competitors, CLP is a small / medium size law firm that ensures efficient processes. Furthermore, their partners have experience from some of the biggest law firms in Europe.’
‘Trustworthy and easy to deal with.’
‘Combining the flexibility and dedication of a smaller law firm with the high quality and professionalism of a larger law firm. Easy and pleasant to work with, very efficient, and simply good at what they do.’
‘Alexander S. Lund – No detours but just straightforward, pragmatic, high-quality advice. Very pleasant to work with.’
‘Lars Gunnar Aas – Dynamic and competent, solution-oriented and service-minded. Very pleasant to work with.’
‘Fred Arthur Andersen – Well known for his experience and prowess as an M&A lawyer.’
‘Very experienced and internationally-oriented.’
‘Andreas Kildal is very experienced within M&A process, within a range of sectors.’
‘Uniquely positioned in the Norwegian M&A law market. The team has served several Norwegian PE-firms for almost two decades. ’
‘Worked with partner Mr. Alexander Lund for almost twenty years. Outstanding when it comes to thinking outside the box, finding solutions and always available.’
SpareBank 1 Gruppen
Hofseth International AS
Nysnø Klimainvesteringer AS
Lefdal Mine Datacenter AS
- Advised Verdane Capital Advisors on the acquisition of ConfirmIt AS through a foreclosure sale process initiated by Deutsche Bank.
- Advised Data Respons ASA on a voluntary offer from AKKA Technologies, valuing Data Respons at approximately €366m.
- Advised Fortum Oyj on a structured sales process for 80% of a Nordic onshore wind power project portfolio to funds advised by Credit Suisse Infrastructure Partners.
Advokatfirmaet Haavind AS is highly regarded for its specialisms in the technology, energy and oil and offshore services sectors, pairing traditional M&A expertise with industry knowledge. The practice regularly advises private equity players and handles technology and software deals. Department head Bjørn Olav Torpp is experienced in domestic and international M&A, with a focus on private transactions. Other key names include Kjetil Hardeng, who regularly advises on cross-border mandates, and Bård Sandstad, who leads the oil and offshore M&A work.
Bjørn Olav Torpp
Other key lawyers:
Kjetil Hardeng; Bård Sandstad; Preben Brecke; Aksel Tannum
‘A unique ability to see all aspects of a transaction. Efficient delivery, high quality.’
‘Strong and capable team with strong focus on total business impact.’
‘Provides a well balanced and knowledgeable team with necessary expert knowledge.’
‘Bjørn Olav Torpp is a good and commercial lawyer providing firm advice in intense negotiations. Aksel Tannum has deep knowledge within the renewable field and provided well guided advice also under great pressure.’
‘Preben Brecke; Outstanding commercial understanding and ability to grasp complex structures, and to build well structured agreements which tie all element together, and all done in a fast, efficient and to the point way! TOP star performance.’
Broodstock Capital Partners
Seacrest Capital Group
National Oilwell Varco
Constellation Software Group / Vela Software
- Advised Fontavis AG on its acquisition of OBOS Energi AS from OBOS BBL.
- Advised the Telenor Group on forming a joint venture with Nordic Entertainment Group (NENT Group) that combines Canal Digital and Viasat Consumer.
- Advised Ferd Capital on the NOK1bn acquisition of Infotjenester from its shareholders.
Jostein Moen heads up the corporate and M&A practice at Kvale Advokatfirma DA, which particularly stands out for its track record in transactional mandates in highly-regulated industries, including the healthcare, health tech, media and entertainment and TMT infrastructure sectors. In addition to M&A transactions and demergers, the practice also handles insolvency, bankruptcy and restructuring mandates; corporate governance issues; and contentious work, and provides advisory services to industrial groups and financial institutions. Marius L Andresen focuses on cross-border work, and Thomas Farhang is praised by clients as 'a stand-out name'. The group also recruited a notable number of partners from SANDS in early 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Marius L Andresen; Thomas Farhang; Susanne Schneider; Øystein Løken
‘Unique cross-competence in legal and finance.’
‘The team at Kvale presents high-end capabilities across the board; competence, capacity, service, speed, tenacity and strategy and they do not send bills that give unpleasant surprises.’
‘Our latest transaction was large, novel and complex, with very many moving parts. All handled in an outstanding manner. ’
‘Kvale are very focused on quality services without necessarily being too pompous about it, which suits me and the people in my line of business very well. For me the partners Øystein Løken and Thomas Farhang are stand outs. Exceptional with drafting, negotiations and getting things done, without cutting important corners.’
Elkjøp Nordic (Dixons Carphone)
NES Global Talent
Philips Lighting Holding
Norsk Telegrambyrå (NTB)
Giant Leap Technologies
- Advised Pfizer on its transaction to form a joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline.
- Advised ARU, a leading Norway-based development company in the tourism sector, on its NOK1.75bn merger with Myrkdalen Fjellandsby.
- Advised Håndverksgruppen, a chain consisting of professional craft companies located throughout Norway, in connection with its acquisition by FSN Capital.
The corporate and M&A team at Advokatfirmaet Selmer AS is highly regarded for its venture capital, private equity and financial services sector strength; practice head Camilla Magnus specialises in private equity and corporate governance matters and Are Herrem regularly acts for private equity funds on investments into Norway. The department regularly handles M&A mandates in the energy, fishing, healthcare and retail industries, leveraging the firm's wider departments and sector-specific expertise. Robert Sveen acts for a range of private equity funds and investment banks, and Ingar Solheim is a key contact for corporate finance work.
Other key lawyers:
Robert Sveen; Are Herrem; Ingar Solheim
‘Strong legal skills combined with good business acumen and a pragmatic approach to problem solving – seeking to find the best solution for all parties while limiting complexity.’
‘Very responsive and well organised, and easy to work with. Truly a trusted advisor. ’
‘Robert Sveen had complete control of his team, focus on schedule and always delivered on time. His efforts were a major contributing factor for the trade to go through.’
‘The team led by Are Herrem have been handling our commercial and corporate practice since 2005. Are Herrem has a unique knowledge of our business combined with very strong knowledge of relevant practices.’
Marlin Private Equity
EQT Infrastructure III
- Advised KKR on its acquisition of Söderberg & Partners.
- Advised Marlin Equity Partners on its cross-border acquisition of Puzzle, a Norway-based provider of cloud contact centre solutions.
- Advising Ambea on its €255m acquisition of Aleris Omsorg, a Norway-based provider of in-patient nursing and rehabilitation services.
Christoffer Bjerknes leads the commercial, corporate and M&A practice at Advokatfirmaet Simonsen Vogt Wiig, which has a strong focus on venture capital and private equity work, with particular strengths in the TMT, shipping, oil and gas, and financial services sectors. Key areas of work include equity investments, strategic platform investments, M&A and divestments. Mathias Teir is the primary contact for private equity mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Christoffer Bjerknes offers high engagement and strong commercial awareness in M&A situations.’
‘Mathias Teir stands out as very talented and experienced. Significant presence within private equity.’
‘Young talented team making a notable entry into private equity. Mathias Teir is a very talented lawyer, hardworking and very knowledgeable.’
‘Great interpersonal skills, sensible price point and well experienced in the small and midcap segment.’
Core Equity Holdings
Valedo Partners Fund
Franz Haniel & Cie GmbH
Telia Company AB / Telia Norge AS
Norwegian Air Shuttle
- Advised Accel-KKR on its acquisition of 100% of Duett AS, a leading Norway-based provider of financial management software, from the current owners including Nordic private equity fund Procuritas.
- Advised Swedish-based private equity fund Litorina on its acquisition of Klinikk for Alle, a leading Norwegian physical manual therapy treatment provider, from the existing shareholders.
- Advised FSN Capital Fund V on its acquisition of Håndverksgruppen, transforming 31 independent companies into a pan-Norwegian leader of surface treatment services.
Bull & Co Advokatfirma AS handles both domestic and cross-border M&A, primarily focusing on advising small and medium-sized enterprises; clients also include start-ups and larger businesses. Other areas of work include capital raisings and shareholder agreements. Notable sector strengths are in the technology, renewables, retail, private equity and venture capital industries. Team lead Eivind Bergo-Eriksen has significant expertise in the family care and investment banking industries. Other key names include Erlend Balsvik, technology and media specialist Stian Sørensen Schilvold, and Bjarte Bogstad.
Other key lawyers:
Erlend Balsvik; Stian Sørensen Schilvold; Bjarte Bogstad
‘Highly skilled, very experienced and easy to work with.’
‘Lead partners have highly relevant networks bringing in the resources needed to speed up the process, and the leadership skill to put it all together for the whole run.’
‘They demonstrate willingness to really understand our uniqueness and diversification so that the effort put into the whole process becomes worthwhile.’
‘Erlend Balsvik is a very knowledgeable specialist who supports, challenges and guides the processes.’
- Advised Bryan, Garnier & Co on its acquisition of Beringer Finance.
- Advised Fredrikstad Energi AS on its NOK270m divestment of its holding of 29.6% of the shares in Værste AS.
- Advised on Schibsted Group’s various acquisitions of technology/online businesses.
DLA Piper is an excellent choice for cross-border transactions, with its pan-Nordic and global network positioning it well in the market. The practice has significant expertise within numerous sectors including energy and renewables, natural resources, IT and private equity. Sveinung Mjaugedal, who primarily acts for private equity leaders and major industrial companies in construction, healthcare and technology. Other key names include Fredrik Lykke , who is active in the insurance sector, private equity specialist and practice head Christian Fenner and Kaare Oftedal who is 'a very experienced transactional lawyer'.
Other key lawyers:
Fredrik Lykke; Kaare Oftedal; Sveinung Mjaugedal
‘Highly competent team; strong business focus; add value to M&A processes.’
‘I always feel prioritised, and get a quick and thorough answer to any questions. This is extremely valuable, always knowing that you can reach out at any time and get a speedy reply. ’
‘Kaare Oftedal at DLA Piper is a very experienced transaction lawyer. He has a great ability to work out/evaluate complex agreements mechanisms and have a sharp understanding of the agreement. He is determined and loyal on behalf of his clients in a positive way and has the ability to navigate expectations and gain understanding from the opposite side to bridge the agreements. His has great personal skills to create a good atmosphere in negotiations, in addition to be solution/creative oriented. Kaare is in our opinion one of the most qualified transaction lawyers in the Norwegian market.’
‘Professional, highly engaged and always keen to offer support.’
‘Professionalism and dedication to always be of help, not just with the legal framework, but also to always ensure there is a smart recommendation to the issue and common practices in the market place.’
‘A strategic trusted advisor in discussing the development of our business, demonstrating commercial understanding of our business – not only the law. A thought leader.’
‘Strong and competent team – very fast to react if needed and strategically strong.’
Jaja Finance Holding
Alder Fund II
Cloudberry Clean Energy
Huatai Zijin Investment
Sony Music Entertainment Norway
Herkules Private Equity
Equip Capital Fund I
XXL Sport og Villmark
- Advised Zoetis/Pharmaq on all aspects of its acquisition of Fish Vet Group from the London Stock Exchange-listed Benchmark Holdings, PLC.
- Advised Cloudberry Clean Energy on its NOK158m private placement and admittance to trading on Oslo Stock Exchange Merkur Market.
- Advised Cube Infrastructure Fund on its acquisition of 49% of the share capital of Varanger Kraftvind, the Norway-based wind-farm operator, from Varanger Kraft.
Advokatfirmaet Grette AS stands out for its experience in the technology, life sciences, financial services and infrastructure sectors, and especially in the renewables, oil and oil services industries, focusing on larger and mid-market transactions. The team also has niche expertise in advising clients from German-speaking countries on international M&A, with partner Roland Mörsdorf heading up the German desk. Practice leader Andreas Myrstad specialises in corporate M&A and has significant experience in capital markets. Øyvind Greaker Bjørndal joined the partnership in late 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Fjell; Roland Mörsdorf; Thomas Borch-Nielsen; Øyvind Greaker Bjørndal
‘Proactive and forward-looking approach.’
‘The team was very motivated and eager to achieve an outstanding result – which they did. During the whole process, they were able to provide the needed expertise, no matter where we were in the process.’
‘Hands-on partner team that is dedicated to the project.’
Gjedebo family / Styrbjørn
Hove Medical Systems
Hospitality Invest/ Adolfsen Group
- Advised the Gjedebo family/Styrbjørn AS/Njord Capital on the sale of the Gjedebo family’s stakes in HitecVision.
- Advised Canica AS on the acquisition of Stromso Senter AS and on the sale of a 50% stake in Sepas AS from Canica to Periveco AS.
- Advised enso hydro GmbH on the sale of a 36% stake in Bekk og Strøm AS, a Norway-based company that develops and operates small hydroelectric plants.
The corporate, commercial and M&A group at Kluge Advokatfirma AS, led by the 'extremely skilled' Frode Olsen, has a notable presence in the oil, gas, energy, real estate and construction sectors. The team acts frequently on sell-side mid-cap assignments for private owners and cooperates and also fields a strong offering for key clients out of Stavanger, led by Snorre Haukali, with an increasing focus on cross-border transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Our experience with the team at Kluge is that they are always up to date on what is happening in the market and what market conditions are to be regarded as “going rate”. They are constructive in the negotiation and always emphasise what is most effective and valuable for the client. Always right on point.’
‘Frode Olsen is extremely skilled in understanding the client and the other party.’
‘Frode Olsen is very pragmatic and hands-on, creating trust and transparency with both us and the other party while still ensuring balanced, high quality work in the legal domain.’
Alu Rehab Invest AS
Credo Partners AS
Vitec Software Group
KLP Pension fund
Raa Invest AS
Gjelsten Holding AS
Fidelio Capital AB
Founders of Wellit
E.ON Sverige AB
Lime Petroleum AS
Elscoop Group AS
West Holding AS
Christ Eiendom AS
Consolis Group / Bain Capital
- Assisted the Consolis Group / Bain Capital with a sale of a Norwegian hollow core factory including operational assets, employees and real estate.
- Advised founder Ståle Raa and his co-investors on the disposal of Safegroup AS / Låssenteret AS to Procuritas.
- Advised the sellers of Alu Rehab AS on the sale of 100% of the shares in the company to PE firm H.I.G. Capital.
Aabø-Evensen & Co Advokatfirma has broad experience assisting investors, private equity funds and corporations with the full spectrum of corporate, commercial and M&A work, as well as large cross-border and ECM transactions. The team provides a 'blend of top-notch legal and commercial expertise', and is known for its ability to 'navigate astutely in difficult negotiation settings'. Name partner Ole Kristian Aabø-Evensen has considerable knowledge of all relevant aspects of transactions, both nationally and internationally.
Ole Kristian Aabø-Evensen
‘Intense partner involvement so we got very experienced input. The partner had considerable knowledge of the public takeover rules and access to the stock exchange to give us unique insight into what could be acceptable and what would not. ’
‘Very responsive and was able to bounce and brainstorm unique situations and solutions. They provided innovative ideas and acted as a sounding board on what the stock exchange would accept.’
‘A blend of top-notch legal and commercial expertise which is particularly impactful in more complex transactions where innovative approaches are called for. Ability to navigate astutely in difficult negotiation settings. Thorough and elaborate supportive documentation delivered in a timely manner.’
‘Ole Kristian Aabø-Evensen is highly competent and very experienced. He stands out for his extreme energy and focused approach. In a transaction he is always available to his client, and extremely diligent. He always has a view and conveys them clearly. At the same time, he is perceptive and respectful of the client perspective. This working process creates highly satisfactory outcomes. Furthermore, in addition to being a brilliant lawyer, he is a keen negotiator, representing his client in an excellent manner.’
Summa Equity / Logex Group BV
Tenzing Private Equity
SAR Gruppen AS
The Scottish Salomon Company Plc
- Advised US private equity fund Francisco Partners on its NOK1.5bn acquisition of Consignor Group AS.
- Advised UK private equity fund Tenzing’s portfolio company, Ticketer on its acquisition of bus ticketing company FARA.
- Advised NEC Corp, a Japan-listed Fortune 500 tech company, and its subsidiaries KMD A/S and Banqsoft AS on the acquisition of Concent AS, a fintech company.
Advokatfirmaet Ræder AS acts for leading national and international corporations across the technology, construction, real estate and renewable energy sectors. Practice head Kyrre Kielland recently advised on a number of high-value equity transactions and has considerable experience within the shipping, aviation and real estate industries.
Other key lawyers:
Carl Garmann Clausen; Carl Arthur Christiansen
‘Two decades of continuous cooperation means we have a well-established working relationship.’
‘Ræder uses lawyers who are focused on their field, which means that no matter what type of challenge we have, this is solved in the best possible way.’
‘Fast response times. Delivers on time and with really excellent business advice. Excellent understanding of our business.’
Food Folk Norge AS (McDonald’s Norge AS) and Food Folk Group Holdings AS
Simula Research Laboratory AS
Simula Innovation AS
Isachsen Gruppen AS
Thin Film Electronics ASA
Akershus Teknologifond AS
PCI Biotech Holding |ASA
Norsk Elektro Optikk AS
Fabriscale Technologies AS
Purapipe Holding AS
GAC Norway AS
Breed Reply Investments Lt.
Celerway Communication AS
Exela Technologies AS
Daniel Wellington (Norway) AS
Escala Capital AS
Scandinavian Payments AS
TT Micro AS/Microtrading AS
Wisdom Edition AS
- Advised Food Folk Norge AS (McDonald’s Norge AS) as well as the parent company Food Folk Group Holdings on a merger and on its cooperation agreements.
- Advised real estate group Kaare Berg AS on acquisitions and divestments.
- Advised Black Bricks AS/Label Properties AS on several property transactions.
Brækhus Advokatfirma DA stands out for its sector expertise in the TMT, IT, real estate and construction industries, and provides commercial advice as well as handling M&A transactions, due diligence processes, share and asset transactions, equity transactions, divestitures and demergers. Practice head Christoph Morck, who is admitted to both the German and Norwegian Bar, regularly assists German-speaking companies in Norway.
Other key lawyers:
Frank Charles Aase; John Sveinsvold
Capgemini Norge AS
Portable Multimedia Limited
Veo Oy, Veo AS
Robert Bosch GmbH
German Norwegian Chamber of Commerce
Federal Republic of Germany
Steinar & Lindberg Gruppen
Terra Holding GmbH & Co KG
Zecler family / Zetech S.A.
Zech Group / Cadolto
Nordic Hamburg Invest Ltd.
- Provided Capgemini Norge AS with commercial advice.
- Advised on the sale of Zetech S.A., Argentina (as well as additional shareholdings) to Visma International Holdings AS, Norway.
- Provided regulatory advice related to Porsche Financial Service’s registration as insurance agent with the Norwegian Financial Authority.
Advokatfirmaet Hjort has a particular focus on core sectors including the energy, biotech, pharmaceuticals and technology industries. The group is also a key name in the market for public sector clients, and regularly provides strategic advice as well as handling M&A transactions. Thomas Alnæs, who focuses on the technology and research-driven industries, heads up the team and has extensive private equity experience.
Other key lawyers:
Rolf Trolle Andersen; Sigve Braaten; Morten Fjermeros
OSM Aviation Ltd
MECA Norway AS
Space Norway AS
Anonymous Content LLC
Kamic Group AB
JKS Norway AS
- Acted as legal counsel for MECA Norway AS on the acquisition of Tores Auto AS, a chain of auto repair/service shops in the Bergen area.
- Assisted Gassnova SF with its participation in the joint venture Technology Centre Mongstad DA (TCM).
- Advised Kamic Group in connection with its purchase of the company Sigmund Langsjøen Elektro AS.
The team at SANDS leverages strong sector-specific expertise across the healthcare, energy and natural resources, fishing, insurance and technology industries, and has a strong private equity practice. Andreas Fuglesang leads the group, which includes Espen Furuholt, who is noted for his expertise in private M&A transactions, regularly advising private equity funds and investment banks.
Other key lawyers:
Terje Gulbrandsen; Erik Lind; Espen Furuholt
Aleris – Sirela Sweden
- Advised K Strømmen Holding on its NOK790m sale of salmon farming company, K Strømmen Lakseoppdrett.
- Advised Salvesen & Thams Invest on the NOK1.1bn merger between Salvesen & Thams and GMW Venture.
- Advised Sirela Sweden on its SEK2.6bn sale of Aleris Care to Ambea.