Transport and shipping in North
Shipping and international trade boutique Mills & Co acts on a range of maritime work for clients including P&I clubs, H&M underwriters, ship owners, operators and managers, charterers, commodity traders and shipyards. Guy Mills has particular expertise in charterparty, bill of lading and MOA disputes.
The ‘highly professional’ Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP is best known for its rail practice, which covers rail franchising, rolling stock and projects and infrastructure. The firm has ‘extensive knowledge of rail industry, rail franchising and procurement’ as well as ‘a sensible, practicable approach to complex commercial discussions’. The ‘veritable fountain of knowledge’ David Rewcastle leads the practice and offers ‘towering expertise with real industry knowledge’. His team includes the ‘outstanding’ Paul Coleman, who specialises in rolling stock and infrastructure deals; Kevin Bell, who has expertise in rail franchise bids and rail franchising; and experienced associate Joseph Causer.
‘The team is dynamic and well supported’
‘Partners are easily accessible and are known not just for far reaching legal knowledge but commercial acumen as well’
‘Experience and knowledge of a wide range of subjects make this practice a one stop shop’
‘The team is very responsive and provides intelligent, precise and relevant advice’
‘The rail team has considerable experience of working with clients on rail franchising deals and easily matches the strength and depth of London based law firms’
‘David Rewcastle is not just known for his towering stature but his towering intellect and wisdom when it comes to the railway industry’
‘Paul Coleman is a powerhouse of a partner and is the individual one turns to for the intricacies of rolling stock and depot contracts’
‘Joseph Causer provides counsel on a wide range of subjects and is fast becoming the first stop for advice’
‘Kevin Bell is a brilliant, incredible lawyer. His knowledge of the railway system there is without limits’
Go-Ahead Group plc/Govia
Govia Thameslink Railway
- Advising Govia in relation to its bid for the South Eastern franchise.
- Advising Transdev in relation to its bid to operate and maintain the Luas light rail system in Dublin.
- Advising SNCF on its joint venture arrangements and bid with Stagecoach and Virgin in relation to the West Coast Partnership franchise.
- Advised on numerous variation orders to different TSSSAs for Southeastern.
- Advising Stadler on the manufacture and maintenance of rolling stock for the Wales and Borders franchise, recently successfully tendered for by KeolisAmey.