Energy in North
Ward Hadaway's energy department houses members of the firm's commercial, property, construction finance and corporate teams to provide energy sector clients a full service offering. The group's expertise includes fossil fuels, renewable and low carbon energy supply chains, utilities, distribution network operations, offshore production and energy technology, with a particular niche in biogas projects. Consultant Mark Whitehead leads the team and advises a wide variety of up- and downstream clients.
- Advised project developer Wardley Biogas on achieving financial close in relation to a large-scale food waste biomethane to grid production facility to be constructed in Tyne and Wear.
- Advising manufacturer in connection with proposed private wire power purchase and private network arrangements in connection with 25 MW waste to energy production facilities.
- Advising a distribution network operator in connection with a variety of smart meter contracts, including contracts with meter operators, and leasing arrangements with financial counterparties.
- Served as lead adviser to Kent-based business Oncoland Energy Limited on the development of an on-site biogas to grid facility to complement existing farming operations.
- Advised GAP Ice Limited in connection with the development, financing,and construction of an innovative fridge waste recycling plant.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP's team has a varied practice, advising developers of new electricity generation and storage projects, real estate and infrastructure, alongside expertise in a wide range of renewable technologies. The team is co-led by Barbara Painter, who has experience in capacity market auctions, and real estate specialist Michael Brown.
Barbara Painter; Michael Brown
EDF Energy Renewables
Sembcorp Utilities (UK)
Rydberg Development Company
Quarry Battery Company
- Advised longstanding client Tekmar, an offshore wind company, on admission of its shares to trading on AIM with a market capitalisation of approximately £65m, following a successful £61.8m fundraising from institutional investors.
- Advised EQT Infrastructure on the sale of Tampnet UK and Central North Sea Fibre Telecommunications Company Limited, as part of the wider sale of the global Tampnet Group.
Muckle LLP's practice has experience in a range of energy sectors spanning oil and gas, nuclear and renewables. The multi-disciplinary team is led by 'tower of strength' Andrew Davison, who is most noted for his work on the corporate aspects of energy projects and has an active transactional practice. Development work is handled by Libbie Henderson, who specialises in energy, waste and minerals, drawing on a strong background in land-based wind, solar and nuclear energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
Libbie Henderson; Will McKay
‘Muckle has an unfailing knack of making you feel like their most important client as soon as you walk through their door‘
‘First class, professional legal and business advice, to how to gain the oxygen of publicity necessary for strong business growth‘
‘Andrew Davison is a tower of strength; with impressive legal and business knowledge and an understanding of the energy sector combined to bring about a relationship of trust and results‘
Port of Tyne
Penultimate Power UK
- Acted for Port of Blyth in a development agreement for lease of a substantial new facility, purpose built for Royal IHC Limited.
- Advised Avid Technology on a waste heat recovery contract for the construction of a waste heat recovery Unit.
- Advised 55 Degrees Holding Limited, the vehicle used by the current managing director for the management buyout of Fabricom Offshore Services.
- Advised Transforming Training with Technology and its private equity investor on the acquisition of Survivex Group.