The energy team at Ward Hadaway includes specialists in commercial, corporate, finance and property law; this multi-disciplinary approach allows it to handle a full scope of energy sector mandates. The department excels in infrastructure project development and supply chain issues. Additional sector-specific expertise includes the mining and biogas industries, as well as the public sector. Further, clients praise the group’s ‘first-class renewables development experience’; practice head Mark Whitehead stands out for his credentials in the renewables as well as the conventional energy industry.
Energy in North
Other key lawyers:
Alex Wright; Imogen Holland; Matt Cormack
‘Ward Hadaway’s team take a pragmatic and innovative approach to managing project finance transactions, and this has been particularly pertinent over the last 12 months. I have always felt that what sets the WH energy team out is their approach to finding solutions to commercial issues, rather than simply taking a standard position. Ultimately, the advice offered is always sound, but I feel deals have progressed where they may not have thanks to the pragmatism and resourcefulness of the team.’
‘Principal partners I have worked with are Mark Whitehead and Matt Cormack. Both Matt and Mark are involved in all aspects of our relationship and transactions, and are extremely hands on. Having this level of senior involvement really helps progress the matters at hand. Both Matt and Mark are adept at focusing in on the key issues and providing diligent advice in a manner that benefits both their clients, but also the progress of the particular transaction as a whole.’
‘Unique mix of developer, manufacturer and finance clients and contacts added to a nexus of local government and wider public sector clients and network. Expertise in driving collaborations between utilities and manufacturing sectors. First-class renewables development experience.’
‘I was fortunate to have support from staff on key projects from an early stage with time allowed/afforded to establish momentum with results driven approaches. I was coached through more complex new ventures and this helped to build high levels of trust.’
Lower Drayton Biogas
Contract Natural Gas
Newcastle International Airport
- Advising a project developer on secured lending arrangements in relation to a biogas to grid facility in Staffordshire.
- Advising a project developer on a proposed acquisition and fund raising in respect of biogas project facilities in the South West of the UK.
- Advising an acquirer client on private wire heat and power arrangements relating to the acquisition of a hotel group.
Muckle LLP’s cross-departmental energy group brings together energy law experts and lawyers with specialist knowledge of finance, property, construction and engineering, and commercial law. The team’s recent workload also demonstrates its strength in energy infrastructure contracts and related claims. Corporate law expert Andrew Davison heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Lucilla Waugh; Libbie Henderson
‘A relatively small practice locally based which ensures a fast response and a good awareness of issues affecting the local area.’
‘A lot of experience and provides excellent advice.’
Port of Blyth
Port of Tyne
Penultimate Power UK Ltd
Jersey Electricity Plc
The Banks Group
Blue Water Energy
Morrison Data Services
ExaMotive SA / Oply UK Limited
- Advising Darlington College on its NEC3 option contract for the design and construction of a fully controlled modular combined heat and power system, solar photovoltaic panels, battery storage, conventional boilers, plate heat exchangers and a building management system.
- Advising the University of Newcastle on funding for a heat network investment project with the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- Assisting a landowner with the negotiation of four separate solar 5-year options and 35-year leases.