Personal injury: claimant in North
Irwin Mitchell is known for advising clients who have suffered amputation, work place injury and occupational disease, but the firm’s speciality lies in brain and spinal injury. Francesca Mayes and Roger Maddocks lead the experienced team that includes senior associate Jane Pyrah, who specialises in high value serious injury; and associate Emma Tordoff, who is an expert in industrial disease work, notably asbestos-related matters.
Francesca Mayes; Roger Maddocks
‘Good team work and all interests are covered.’
‘The firm is very thorough and professional. The team knows how to maximise a claim for a claimant.’
‘Well informed and always seems available to talk with.’
‘The Newcastle office specialises in disease work and has considerable expertise in this area, particular in asbestos-related claims.’
‘Roger Maddocks manages a strong team, including Emma Tordoff.’
- Acting for the claimant who, at the age of 54, was diagnosed as suffering from malignant mesothelioma due to his work as a plumber removing asbestos rope / boards from domestic properties. In September 2017, one of the defendants made an offer to the claimant to settle his claim.
- Acting for the client in a complex regional pain syndrome case, caused by a workplace-related accident.
- Settlement of this case of mesothelioma was agreed with the defendant in less than 11 months after Irwin Mitchell had been instructed.
Sintons LLP specialises in high value, serious and catastrophic injury claims, as well as employer liability and industrial disease matters. Phil Davison leads the practice, and has a particular focus on occupational diseases and claims arising from accidents abroad, and on aircraft and ships. His team includes consultant John Davis, who has expertise in neurotrauma. Also notable is senior associate Kate Nicklin, who joined in 2018 from Irwin Mitchell and has experience in complex brain and spinal injury claims. In December 2019 the practice was boosted by the arrival of Andrew McGowan, who joined as head of neurotrauma from Irwin Mitchell.
‘Helpful, informative and seemed to take a real interest in the case.’
‘Phil Davison is very supportive and encouraging. He was tenacious in pursuing the best outcome.’
‘Phil Davison is always available.’
- Represented Gareth Rogers in a serious personal injury claim when the client fell from a ladder at work sustaining fractures to both lower limbs/ankles. Liability subsequently admitted but causation remained in dispute. The claim was successful at trial.
- Represented Barry Davies in a substantial claim arising from two separate accidents at work with significant overlap.
- Represented Christina Hall in a serious injury claim when the client tripped on a defective valve cover whilst walking on a pavement near her home. Settlement was achieved after exchange of medical evidence.
- Represented Susan Liew in a claim arising from a bus driving over a pot hole causing rubble to be thrown into the air into the claimant’s eye.
- The claimant, Christine Sharpe, entered a room and tripped on a duvet which was lying on the floor. Liability was agreed on a 60/40 basis in the claimant’s favour following exchange of witness statements.
The personal injury team at Beecham Peacock is known for representing private individuals as well as appointments on union legal services panels. The firm’s expertise ranges from serious injury and road traffic accidents, to employers and public liability. Occupational disease expert Victoria Wanless leads the team.
‘Beecham Peacock is a sound and reliable firm.’
‘The firm is a classic high street firm providing good quality legal services to the general public.’
‘In the personal injury sector the team is staffed by experienced solicitors who provide individual and high quality services to clients.’
‘The solicitors are thorough and knowledgeable. They exercise good judgement and are tenacious in pursuing their clients’ cases.’
‘Vicki Wanless is excellent and very experienced; tenacious and hard working, and prepared to go the extra mile for clients.’
Thompsons Solicitors LLP
Claimant and employee firm Thompsons Solicitors LLP specialises in industrial disease litigation, with Ian McFall, Tony Hood and Andrew Venn regularly acting on behalf of union clients and the Forum of Asbestos Victim Support Groups. The serious injuries team, including solicitors Clair Wilson and Trevor Hall, has experience in brain injury, spinal injury, amputations and fatal injury claims. Also notable is associate David Robinson, who has particular expertise in military claims.
‘A long established firm of personal injury lawyers, the firm’s traditions and history inform its ethos and ensure strong and efficient management with a very client-focused approach.’
‘Andrew Venn, Gill Connelly, Helen Jones and Tim Hayward make a crack team for asbestos disease claims, with decades of experience between them.’
‘The team in Newcastle stands out for its expertise in disease litigation, with some of the most experienced solicitors in the market, achieving great results for their clients.’
‘Thompsons specialises in Claimant PI and it shows.’
‘The team is strong and robust. They retain the trust of the courts in the area and enjoy an unrivalled reputation.’
‘Detailed knowledge of their areas of work and consistent effort to achieve the best results.’
‘David Mole, John Gray, Tony Scott, Nicky Jackson, Kelly Varty and Angela Collins are all very client-focused with a superb grasp of the relevant law.’
- Successfully represented a former British Gurkha following a brain injury sustained on adventure training in Canada, in which jurisdictional issues were raised.
- Success in a claim where combat immunity was alleged and in which the claimant sustained significant psychological injuries as a result of military service in Afghanistan.
- £4.95 million settlement for brain injured soldier who was injured in adventure training in Canada.
BHP Law handles high-value and complex claims, specialising in fatal accident, and serious and catastrophic injury cases. Ruth Markham leads the 'efficient, friendly and prompt' team, and is an expert personal injury litigator, experienced in acting for claimants and defendants.
‘The personal injury team were extremely efficient, friendly, prompt in responding to queries and understanding.’
‘Ruth Markham was extremely understanding and prepared to listen.’
- The claimant was knocked over when crossing at a pedestrian crossing.
- Claim for injuries sustained in a tripping accident
- Represented the claimant in who was the driver of a vehicle that was involved in an RTA.
- The claimant was walking her dog along a path when she got her ankle tangled in a manhole cover. Her ankle became tangled in the rope that was negligently left there by the defendants. The claimant sustained knee injury, torn tissue and swelling. The matter is ongoing and liability has been admitted.
- The claimant was involved in a road traffic accident as a result of the Defendant driving into her path causing her to brake. Defendants are going forward on a without prejudice basis and are willing to pay her claim.
Browell Smith & Co Solicitors Ltd has a breadth of experience in personal injury matter, notably for complex injuries, industrial disease and asbestos-related cases. Complex injury specialist Dawn Bagley leads the team that focuses on employer and public liabilities work.
- The claimant was employed by the defendant in a food production facility and suffered a crushed hand. The claimant was left with permanent impairment of function in the left hand and significant Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. After joint reports and an updated schedule of loss the defendant’s final offer of £400k net of recoverable benefits in the sum of £11,184.20 was accepted.
The Burnetts team has expertise in serious and catastrophic injury work, including brain injuries, spinal injuries, industrial diseases and chronic pain. Practice head Angela Curran leads an experienced team that includes 'very experienced' senior associate Spencer Knaggs, who specialises in serious injury, fatal and industrial disease claims. Also notable is associate Paul Brown, who joined from Thompsons Solicitors LLP in 2018, and is particularly focused on high value catastrophic personal injury work.
‘Burnetts is a firm with strong local connections in a large rural area where specialist firms are few are far between.’
‘The firm has excellent focus on clients and a determination to get the best results.’
‘Paul Brown is a leader in the field acting for claimants who have suffered catastrophic injury. He has huge experience and is a first class operator.’
‘Paul Brown has a calm and professional manner with both clients and experts.’
‘Spencer Knaggs is very experienced and is prepared to go the extra mile. He is prepared to fight for a good result whilst at the same time ensuring that his client understands and is comfortable with the steps being taken.’
- Represented a claimant who sustained severe brain and orthopaedic injuries in a high-value ongoing case.
- Settled a case relating to a mild brain injury and orthopaedic injuries, and continues to represent the claimant’s granddaughter suffering orthopaedic injuries.
- Settled a brain injury case for a claimant who required neurorehabilitation following an accident while volunteering.
- Represented a claimant who sustained a head injury when knocked off his bicycle by a City Council bus in Leeds city centre in June 2016.
- Representing a claimant who is tetraplegic following a spinal injury caused on a family farm in Wales.
The serious and catastrophic injury specialist firm, Cartmell Shepherd, is experienced in representing claimants in fatal accidents as well as brain and spinal injury claims. Practice head Carol Fish handles a range of personal injury claims and litigation disputes, including road traffic accidents, employer and public liability, and claims involving animals.
True Solicitors LLP
True Solicitors LLP’s acts for clients all over England and Wales, specialising in claims arising from road traffic accidents, as well as employers’, occupiers’ and public liability matters. Andrew Mayall is head of the firm’s serious injury and liability practice, and Stephen McCourt leads the team that deals with road traffic accident claims.
Andrew Mayall; Stephen McCourt
‘Extremely well organised firm with spot on operational structure and processes, outstanding communication and perfect timing.’
‘Honest and transparent.’
‘Andrew Mayall is very professional.’
‘Richard Milner, Jennifer Cartledge, Glenn Robinson, Chris Jehan and Danielle Richardson are all extremely knowledgeable. They have an exceptional grasp of the relevant law and are able to identify the key issues in a particular case.’
Ward Hadaway has expertise in complex and difficult claims, including serious brain injuries. The ‘dedicated and determined’ practice head Roger O’Donnell specialises in dealing with high value claims, notably those involving road traffic accidents, accidents at work and industrial disease, as well as employers', occupiers' and public liability.
‘Roger O’Donnell is unique for his charm, unerring common sense, and ability as a lawyer, which is second to none.’
‘Roger O’Donnell offers a personal service in a world in which many say they do, but few follow it through.’
Specialising in high value cases, Winn Solicitors is especially well known for road traffic accidents and brain injury matters. Associate director Joanna Amos is head of complex claims, and ‘experienced practitioner’ Paul Morpeth leads the employers’ liability, public liability and technical claims team. Also notable is the 'tenacious and diligent' David Burn, who focuses on representing clients who have suffered life changing injuries as a result of an accident. David Dewar joined the firm in August 2019 in the new role of head of contested litigation.
Joanna Amos; Paul Morpeth
‘Winn solicitors is a very professional organisation.’
‘Their attitude and caring nature is second to none.’
‘The volume of cases means the firm has exposure to a large range of complex matters, which gives them strong expertise when it comes to dealing with issues for loss.’
‘Winn is a customer-facing firm offering a wide range of services but focused on personal injury litigation.’
‘The team have a depth of expertise and breadth of experience together with sound judgment and advice.’
‘David Burn’s attitude is kind and caring, he is also very available when needed.’
‘Paul Morpeth has a wealth of experience in personal injury. He always has an excellent grasp of the details and is committed to achieving the best for his clients.’
‘Holly Clegg is known for her pragmatic approach. Her tenacity and determination ensure that she always does the best.’
‘Simon Staton can handle a tricky cases well and hold his nerve under pressure.’
‘David Dewar is an outstanding personal injury lawyer.’
‘David Dewar has excellent communication skills and a deep understanding of both substantive law and procedure. He can be relied upon to act with the highest standards to be expected of an experienced solicitor.’
- Represented a driver injured during a horrific car accident when he sustained serious lower injuries, achieving a settlement of £265,000.
- Represented a client who sustained serious lower limb injuries following a work place accident where he fell from height, achieving a settlement of £350,000.
- Represented a young lady who sustained a severe brain injury, achieving a settlement in excess of £3 million.
- Represented a claimant who suffered significant, multiple injuries when a wall collapsed on him
- Represented a claimant in personal injury damages claim, involving a severe crush injury to their foot while at work, settled for £320k.