Crime: general in North
David Gray Solicitors LLP's practice takes a multi-disciplinary approach, teaming up with lawyers from its mental health, immigration and family teams, enabling it to see matters through from beginning to end. Led by Brian Hegarty, the practice specialises in serious and complex crime matters, in particular proceeds of crime instructions. Also notable is Janice Hall, who has expertise in domestic violence and sexual offences cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘The thorough preparation the team brings to all cases is impressive and its administration is faultless’
‘The firm’s customer care is excellent and the advice it gives to clients is realistic and fully born out by the strength of the case’
‘All advice provided is acted upon in a timely manner’
‘Janice Hall has excellent oversight of her cases and the team work very well together’
- A murder conviction on the basis of joint enterprise.
- Representing the client who was charged with Murder of his girlfriend and the Attempted Murder of his parents.
- Representing a defendant who pleaded guilty to an allegation of Death by Dangerous Driving. This is a continuation of matter number 9 from last year’s submission.
- Operation Optic – men grooming young vulnerable women for the purposes of obtaining sexual services
- Representing a defendant who is one of a number of prison guards who are said to have been guilty of physical and sexual abuse at a Youth Detention Centre in the 1980’s
Hay & Kilner
Hay & Kilner specialises in recidivist crime and sexual offences, notably those involving computers. The team has a dedicated police station representative, as well as experienced higher court advocates, enabling it to represent clients in the Crown Court and Court of Appeal. Mark Harrison leads the practice, alongside solicitor advocate Jonathan Cousins , who arrived from David Gray Solicitors LLP in 2018; assistant solicitor Mark Styles , who joined from Kyles Legal Practice in 2019; and Matthew Purves was promoted to associate in 2018.
‘Clients who instruct this firm know that their representatives care about their case’
‘Karen Minhas genuinely goes above and beyond the call of duty; the firm is very fortunate to have someone so committed’
‘Mark Harrison is an exceptional advocate and a joy to listen to’
New Park Court Chambers
- The defendant was charged with importation of a large quantity of drugs into the UK via Newcastle Airport from Africa. The court acknowledged that the defendant had been put under significant pressure to act as she did and, exceptionally, she was spared immediate custody.
- The defendant is charged with rape and the case is currently listed for trial. The case is further complicated by the defendant claiming “sexomnia” at the time of the alleged offending (that he was asleep at the time the unlawful intercourse allegedly took place) and expert psychiatric evidence is to be called to substantiate this unusual condition.
- The defendant was charged with online sexual grooming of a child following an investigation involving members of “dark justice” and an organised sting operation.
- The defendant was charged with serious historic sexual abuse allegations.
- The Defendant was one of 3 charged with murder, fraud, burglary and perverting the course of justice following an alleged unprovoked attack in hostel accommodation.
Kenneth M Barrow & Co
Kenneth M Barrow & Co's practice, which has particular expertise in large-scale drugs conspiracies, is led by serious crime specialist Ravi Khosla. Other notable individuals include Sunny Thandi, who was promoted to director in 2018, and solicitor Elizabeth Trusty, who is experienced in dealing with general crime matters as well as fraud.
Clients and highlights confidential
- Represented the client in a matter of perverting the course of justice at Teesside Crown Court.
- We represent client charged with 11 charges of sexual offences.
- Privately paying on appeal whereby queen’s counsel is instructed.
- Represented client in a matter of committing grievous bodily harm with intent at Teesside Crown Court.
- Represented a client charged with conspiracy to supply Class A drugs at Teesside Crown Court.