The team at AELEX covers the full scope of corporate and commercial work for clients, undertaking work for major multinational and Nigerian companies. The strength of the practice is illustrated by practice head Theophilus Emuwa, who brings expertise in M&A and private equity alongside standout tax capabilities. Lawrence Fubara Anga offers multi-jurisdictional expertise, and is qualified in Nigeria, Ghana, and the UK, whereas Chioma Olibie brings deep experience in transactional and tax issues. Davidson Oturu heads the fintech offering with an emphasis on cross-border issues.
Commercial, corporate and M&A in Nigeria
Other key lawyers:
Lawrence Fubara Anga; Chinyerugo Ugoji; Davidson Oturu
Helios Investment Partners LLP
Oppenheimer Partners Limited
Tiger Brand Limited
Nampak Nigeria Plc
KLM Line Maintenance International
The Rise Fund Management LLC
Chevron Nigeria Limited
Mobil Producing Nigeria Limited
Azura Power West Africa Limited
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited
CNOOC E&P Ltd
The Coca-Cola Company
Seven-Up Bottling Company Plc
AFEX Commodities Exchange Nigeria Limited
Aluko & Oyebode
Aluko & Oyebode advises on the full range of corporate and M&A matters for a number of multinational and Nigerian clients across a wide range of industries. The team has been bolstered by the September 2021 addition of Adeolu Idowu, who brings experience of in-house practice in the telecoms and natural resources sectors, furthering the firm’s existing strength in these sectors. Chairman Gbenga Oyebode coordinates the team, headed by Olubunmi Fayokun, who has extensive experience in M&A. Oghogho Makinde specialises in corporate governance and natural resources matters, while Sumbo Akintola brings TMT expertise. Ayodeji Oyetunde focuses on private equity matters.
Gbenga Oyebode; Kofo Dosekun; Olubunmi Fayokun; Oghogho Makinde; Sumbo Akintola
Other key lawyers:
Ayodeji Oyetunde; Ajobola Asolo; Oluwatamilore Oluwalaiye; Chiderah Azodoh; Adeolu Idowu
‘I found the team to be particularly responsive and swift in providing commercially relevant advice. A key differentiating factor from other firms is the absence of a “legalistic approach” in solving issues/providing strategy.’
‘Ajibola Asolo is extremely smart and knowledgeable, hands-on, and willing to go over and beyond to ensure all issues are resolved. The advice he provided was practical and commercially relevant.’
‘Oluwatamilore Oluwalaiye is thorough and possesses excellent research skills.’
‘The practice has a unique team of experts.’
‘We have been supported by various teams at Aluko & Oyebode in our commercial and corporate transactions in the last five years. More recently, the firm has advised us on the impact of new legislations regulating banking and other financial institutions and companies law generally. We have found the firm to be detailed, resourceful, and easy to access and communicate with. The firm deploys cutting edge technology to ensure great service delivery.’
‘On cost, we have found the firm to be competitive when compared with other firms of the same size and expertise.’
‘The individuals who have supported us with outstanding skills and commitment include Kofo Dosekun, Oghogho Makinde and Olubunmi Fayokun and Chiderah Azodoh.’
‘These individuals are mostly very senior commercial lawyers with a depth of experience in legal practice that are comparable with those you will find in the best firms anywhere in the world.‘
Access Bank Plc
Access Holding Plc
Guaranty Trust Bank PLC
Guaranty Trust Holding Company Plc
Schlumberger Nigeria Limited
Dot Ensure Limited
Mainstream Energy Solutions Limited
Chapel Hill Denham
8 Broad Street Venture Invests Limited
DiDi Chuxing Technology Co.
- Advised Access Bank Plc on the restructuring of the Access Bank Group into a non-operating holding company structure.
- Advised Dot Ensure Limited on its acquisition of a majority stake in Royal Exchange Healthcare Limited, a national health maintenance organisation.
- Advised DiDi Chuxing Technology Co., a leading technology platform with a market cap of $12.37 Billion, on its proposed entry into the Nigerian market.
Banwo & Ighodalo
Banwo & Ighodalo offers a strong transactional advisory practice coupled with a team which is active in the regulatory reform space to provide wide-ranging services. The prominent position of the firm in the Nigerian market extends more broadly to the African market, with the firm advising a number of multinational clients seeking to conduct cross-border investments into the continent. Asue Ighodalo brings a broad experience to the practice, working primarily in corporate mergers and restructurings, as does Femi Olubanwo who also specialises in IP. Ayotunde Owoigbe has assisted in some of the most high-value acquisitions and divestments in the market, working with a number of multinational investors.
Femi Olubanwo; Asue Ighodalo
Other key lawyers:
Ayotunde Owoigbe; Azeezah Muse-Sadiq; Isa Alade; Seyi Bella; Olumide Osundolire; Toyin Bashir; Ayodele Adeyemi-Faboya
MainOne Cable Company Limited
FCMB Group Plc
Actis and Moukarim Family
African Development Partners 1
- Acted as legal adviser to MainOne Cable Company Limited in connection with the acquisition of MainOne by Equinix Inc.
- Acted as Local Counsel to Actis and Faiz Moukarim family in connection with 100% sale of their shareholding interest in Mouka Limited.
- Our Firm’s advised the Sellers who divested 94.1% of the issued shares held by them in Union Bank of Nigeria PLC to Titan Trust Bank Limited.
G. Elias & Co
G. Elias & Co continues to be highly active in M&A, advising various major global entities on high-value, business-critical transactions with a particular focus on banking and financial services. The firm also has experience in other aspects of commercial and corporate law, covering compliance, private equity, and corporate governance, and working within a range of other sectors, such as oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, and TMT. The highly experienced Segun Omoregie advises on major deals within West Africa, working alongside key figure Gbolahan Elias who brings his broad expertise to most of the firm’s ongoing transactions. Fred Onuobia is also of note, supplementing his corporate work with his knowledge of financial matters.
Other key lawyers:
Gbolahan Elias; Fred Onuobia; Fidelis Adewole; Michelle Chikezie; Kuburat Abubakar
‘G Elias is a responsive team that has experience in a wide range of sectors. Mr Elias also has deep knowledge of the Nigeria landscape, and is able to assess risks.’
‘The G Elias team comprised Mr Elias and Kuburat Abubakar, both of who are very responsive.’
United Bank for Africa Plc.
Bank of Industry
Johnson & Johnson
Titan Trust Bank Limited
Otsuka Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd
Duport Energy Limited
Capital Trust Investment and Asset Management Limited
First Bank of Nigeria Limited
AIICO Insurance Plc.
- Advised Titan Trust Bank Limited on the acquisition of 93.41% equity stake in Nigeria’s second oldest bank, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc.
- Advised Bank of Industry on its up to USD20 million equity fund aimed at investing in innovative business (primarily technology based or tech-enabled).
- Advised AIICO Insurance Plc, one of the largest insurers in Nigeria, on the sale of 96.4% equity stake in AIICO Pension Managers Limited to FCMB Pensions Limited.
Templars is particularly active in the M&A space, advising in relation to both the acquisition and divestment of interest in multi-jurisdictional, high-value transactions. The firm also provides corporate advisory work for a number of blue-chip clients, employing its experience in regulatory matters. Practice head Olumide Akpata primarily provides corporate advisory services for international and Nigerian companies, especially in relation to the establishment of local subsidiaries, corporate governance, compliance, and tax. Chike Obianwu brings experience as head of the finance practice to corporate advisory work, while Dayo Okusami brings a sector-focus in energy. Other notable lawyers with experience in the corporate and commercial space include Ijeoma Uju and Inam Wilson.
Other key lawyers:
Chike Obianwu; Dayo Okusami; Inam Wilson; Ijeoma Uju
OLAM International Limited
African Capital Alliance
Share Holders of Eterna plc
Verod Capital Management Limited
EDFI Management Company SA
Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society U.A.
Triodos Groenfonds N.V.
- Advised Sojitz Corporation in Connection with its Acquisition of a 25% Interest in the Holding Company of Axxela, the Largest Private Sector Gas Distributor in Nigeria.
- Acted as legal adviser on the joint venture between Emerson Electric Co with a US listed company called Aspen Technology.
- Advised Verod Capital Management Limited in connection with its acquisition of a significant minority equity stake in Medplus Limited.
Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie
Udo Udoma & Belo-Osagie has a particularly strong offering in M&A and related corporate restructurings, being well-placed to assist international clients in cross-border matters given its experience of such transactions. The firm assists in both the disposal and acquisition side of such transactions, and works across a range of industries, with some particularly notable work in relation to digital infrastructure. Daniel Agbor has broad-ranging corporate transactional experience, while Jumoke Lambo has a more particular focus on corporate advisory and M&A work in the TMT and aviation sectors. Folake Elias-Adebowale works on the the firm’s notable cross-border transactions, with experience across diverse sectors.
Dan Agbor; Jumoke Lambo
Other key lawyers:
Folake Elias-Adebowale; Yinka Edu; Ozofu Latunde Ogiemudia; Lolade Ososami
‘The UUBO team works collaboratively and comprises a diverse group of lawyers. They know the lay of the land and always provide pragmatic advice.’
‘Yinka Edu is an excellent lawyer. She’s clever, practical and a great person to work with.’
‘The members of the team worked assiduously as a team to satisfactorily close the transaction. They were helpful and accessible. Each member of the team was knowledgeable about the transaction and paid attention to details. Members of the team were quite cheerful and took time resolving the issues arising from the transaction to our satisfaction.’
‘Mrs. Folake Elias-Adebowale is a seasoned lawyer with several years of legal practice. Her knowledge of M&A is really commendable, and this enabled her to lead the transaction seamlessly. Mrs. Adebowale created different scenarios for our company in respect of the transaction and recommended the most efficient and cost-effective step.’
‘The people are friendly and supportive. The work is done in an efficient and timely manner. The lawyers are very knowledgeable and experienced.’
‘The people have expertise and are very supportive. They provide quality legal work that is easy to comprehend.’
‘Technically strong and flexible with fees, providing an overall good experience.’
‘I was impressed by Folake Elias-Adebowale’s robust knowledge of Nigerian law and by the general practice’s knowledge of the industry. Unlike other practitioners I have encountered in the market, the negotiations were focused on key matters and so saved all parties time and allowed for the closing of the deal in record time.’
Seplat Energy PLC
BUA International Limited
Network International Holding 2 Limited
B Capital Global Growth Fund III L.P
Cardinal Stone Advisers Ltd
Capricorn Digital Nigeria /BaxiPay
Chika’s Wholefoods Africa Limited
Bowman Gilfillan (for BOC Holdings)
Africa Health Holdings
Chemical and Allied Products Plc
- Advising Seplat Energy Plc on the Nigerian elements of a proposed USD1.283 billion acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited.
- Advised on the USD500 million merger of BUA Sugar Refinery Limited, IRS Flour Mills Limited, IRS Pasta Limited, BUA Rice Limited, BUA Oil Mills Limited and BUA Foods Limited.
- Advised Network International Holding 2 Limited in connection with its acquisition of 3G Direct Pay Ltd under a Share Sale Agreement.
Bloomfield Law Practice
Bloomfield Law Practice is notably strong in relation to joint ventures, with high-profile work in the oil and gas and fintech spaces. The practice also handles a wide range of transactions, demonstrating a significant focus on TMT and private equity. Practice co-head Adedoyin Afun has advised on the structuring and implementation of a number of complex cross-border transactions and joint ventures, while co-chair Ayodele Oni has experience in key acquisitions and divestments within the energy and natural resources space.
Adedoyin Afun; Ayodele Oni
‘A diverse team dedicated to collaboration.‘
Engie Energy Access Nigeria Limited
Conoil Producing Limited
Continental Oil and Gas Limited
Expand Exploration and Production Limited
Aramex International LLC
Enaro Energy Limited
Harbour Point Marine and Energy Limited
Bukkha Hospitality Limited
CapitalTrust Investments & Asset Management Limited
Purple Capital Partners Limited
Optimera Energy LFZ Enterprise
PurpleMoney Microfinance Bank Limited
Telford Offshore Group
Iwosan Investments Limited
Vista Global Holding Limited
FTI Consulting Inc
MoneyMaster Payment Service Bank Limited
- Advised Purple Real Estate Income Limited and Purple Real Estate Development Company in relation to a scheme of merger.
- Acting as transaction counsel for a consortium to build and operate a gas transportation infrastructure and supply gas to the Lagos Free Zone.
- Advising Aramex and FNO on their joint venture for the establishment of a logistics free zone enterprise within the NAHCO Free Trade Zone in Nigeria.
Dentons ACAS-Law leverages the firm's global network to support its international and Nigerian clients on the full-range of corporate and commercial services. The firm has recently expanded its expertise to encompass a sustainability practice with emphasis on renewables and sustainable finance. Practice head Afolabi Caxton-Martins brings extensive experience in a broad range of cross-border matters, while Felicia Kemi Segun and Sola Adepetun focus on project finance and M&A in the energy space.
Other key lawyers:
Sola Adepetun; Felicia Kemi Segun; Taiwo Afonja; Ben Unaegbunam
KSB Finanz S.A
San Leon Energy Plc
Odu’a Investment Company Limited
Yinka Folawiyo Petroleum Company Limited
SKLD Integrated Services Limited
Sachela Integrated Services Limited
Trucks Transit Parks Limited
Delattre Bezons Nigeria Limited
West African Container Terminals
APM Terminals Apapa Limited
Medallion Communications Limited
Deutsche Investitious-Und Entwickhingsgesselschaft MBH
- Advised KSB Finanz in respect of its acquisition of 60% of the share capital of Jual Emac Nigeria Limited.
- Advised Target Global in the seed funding of US$1.5 million provided to Casava Inc.
- Advised Yinka Folawiyo Petroleum Company Limited, and Petronor E&P Limited in jointly establishing Aje AS Production.
Abdulai, Taiwo & Co
Abdulai, Taiwo & Co provides a full range of commercial and IP services, and is particularly active in M&A and due diligence. Ladi Taiwo leads the practice, working alongside Alayo Ogunbiyi who supplements the team with her work in finance and capital markets. Kunle Ayansola is also of note, bringing his in-house experience with the Energy Company of Nigeria to his energy sector-focussed work for the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Alayo Ogunbiyi; Kunye Ayansola
Southern Sun Africa
Pernix Federal Inc.
Central Electric and Utilities Ltd.
China Energy Engineering Co. Ltd. Consortium
The Procter and Gamble Co.
Bureau of Public Enterprises
National Council on Privatisation
Betts India Private Ltd.
CRCC Construction Company Ltd.
Coca-Cola Nigeria Ltd.
Banarly Nigeria Ltd.
Clina-Lancet Laboratories Ltd.
Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Ltd.
CRCC International Investments Group Ltd. Hong Kong
Solar Sisters, Entrepreneur Ltd. Gte.
Lloyds Register EMEA Ltd. Gte
- Advising Pernix Federal, Inc. and its local subsidiaries for the USD 537 Million construction of the new U.S. Consular Office in Eko Atlantic City, Lagos.
- Advising Central Electric and Utilities in the acquisition bid to acquire Olorunsogo II Power Plant and Benin Generation Co. from the Nigerian Federal Government.
- Advising Southern Sun Africa in the Sale of its majority shareholding in Ikoyi Hotel, to SS Ikoyi Holdings in a cross-border transaction.
DealHQ Partners is a boutique firm specialising in commercial transactions across a range of sectors, with practice head Tosin Ajose particularly noted for her expertise in real estate, private equity, and technology. The team also advises on business formation, investments, compliance issues, M&A, and corporate restructurings.
Tosin Ajose; Izuchukwu Ubadinma
Capsa Technologies Limited
Windgates Development Impact Limited
BOCTRUST MICROFINANCE BANK Limited
Plaindt Impact Africa Investment Limited
Kuker Holdings Limited
Soname Cancer Centre Ltd/Gte
FlyForValue Aviation Limtied
FCMB Asset Management Limited
- Advised Capsa Technologies Limited on project advisory for the set-up of Nigeria’s first digital invoice factoring marketplace.
- Advised Kuker Holdings Limited on the procurement and disbursement of a revolving/convertible NGN4.3Billion Shareholder Loan Facility.
- Advised Tangerine Africa on acquisition of 100% equity stake in Assured Microfinance Bank Limited.
Duale, Ovia & Alex-Adedipe
Duale, Ovia & Alex-Adedipe is particularly active in the tech space, with a strong advisory practice in relation to fintech and financial services more generally. Adeleke Alex-Adedipe has experience in financial work and TMT that he brings to his broad corporate practice, while Adeniyi Duale focuses on M&A. Oluwaseye Ayinla works in M&A, joint ventures, corporate governance and corporate restructuring.
Adeleke Alex-Adedipe; Adeniyi Duale; Oluwaseye Ayinla
Dorman Long Engineering Limited
Dupont Midstream Company Limited
Reliance Health Inc
ARCA Payments Company Limited
Mono Technologies Limited
Trosk Investment DMCC
Alithea IDF Fund
Drosk Company Limited
- Advised Dorman Long Engineering Limited in the $25,000,000.00 acquisition of a significant equity stake in Dorman Long by Africa Capitalworks Holdings.
- Advised Duport Midstream Company Limited on a $15,000,000.00 acquisition of equity interest by the Nigerian Content Development Management Board.
- Advised a digital healthcare insurance provider, Reliance Health Inc., on its $40,000,000 Series B funding round led by General Atlantic.
Jackson, Etti & Edu
Jackson, Etti & Edu provide a full range of corporate and commercial services, with a particular emphasis on the energy sector. Practice head Fola Olusanya often works alongside Koye Edu, with the duo enjoying significant experience in M&A. Taiwo Adeshina is also of note and is likewise primarily active in the energy and infrastructure fields.
Other key lawyers:
Koye Edu; Taiwo Adeshina
Asha Microfinance Limited
NPF Pensions Limited and Shareholders
Standard Chartered Bank
Stanbic IBTC Capital Limited
African Oxygen and Industrial Gases Limited
Development Partners International
African Capital Alliance (ACA)
Uniconfort Maroc Dolidol
Advisory Partners Limited
GreenElec Integrated Power Solution Ltd
Arcadia Energy Pte Ltd
SFC Finance Limited
African Steel Mills Nigeria Limited
Providus Bank Plc
Sahel Capital Agribusiness Managers Limited
- Advised Uniconfort Maroc Dolidol and Development Partners International in respect of the acquisition of the entire share capital of Mouka Limited.
- Advised on the structure of a merger between HIN and PZCW through a Scheme of Merger under the newly enacted Companies and Allied Matters Act 2020.
- Advising Norrenberger Advisory Partners Limited on its proposed acquisition of majority stake in a licensed mortgage Bank in Nigeria.
Olajide Oyewole LLP
Olajide Oyewole LLP uses its membership of DLA Piper to leverage the firm’s global resources, providing a strong offering for cross-border transactions. The team advises notable multinational clients in their Nigerian operations, while also working on niche and emerging domestic markets. Practice head Bola Tinubu specialises in corporate governance, restructuring, and acquisitions, while Samuel Salako bolsters his corporate expertise with experience in the financial services sector.
Other key lawyers:
Dayo Idowu; Samuel Salako
Pfizer Specialties Limited
Yamaha Motor Company Limited
Mavin Records Limited
The Baobab Network
TempoHousing Nigeria Limited
Halliburton Energy Services Nigeria Limited
Mainstream Energy Solutions Limited
General Electric (GE)
Union Bank Plc.
IMC Plantation Limited
Growthpoint Investec African Property Management Limited
Helios Investment Partner
Broll Property Services Limited
Unilever Nigeria Plc.
National Basketball Association
Argentil Capital Partners Limited
aYo Holdings Limited
Binance Holdings Limited
Transsnet Financial Services Limited
Puma Energy Limited
Continental Broadcasting Services Limited
DHL International Nigeria Limited
So Fresh Neighbourhood Market Limited
Tecnimont Nigeria Limited
TGS-Petrodata Offshore Services Limited
St. Fitzgerald Investment Limited
Boulos Enterprises Limited
Cappa & D’alberto Limited
Mainstream Energy Solutions Limited
- Acted as the lead counsel to the sellers for the sale of Lagos Preparatory Secondary School via the sale of shares and controlling interests.
- Acted as Nigerian legal advisers to the Buyer for the 100% share acquisition of AR Packaging Group AB.
- Advised the Quest Electricity Nigeria Limited (buyer) in respect of the acquisition of 60% shareholding in Yola Electricity Distribution Plc for N19,000,000,000.
Pavestones has a primary focus on foreign investment, working with international clients on their entry into the Nigerian market. The team is very active in the technology sector, providing a full range of services for clients active in this space and with an emphasis on data protection. Aderonke Alex-Adedipe co-heads the practice with a broad experience in corporate matters; she operates alongside co-lead, Seun Timi-Koleolu, who delivers in-depth knowledge of IP.
Seun Timi-Koleolu; Aderonke Alex-Adedipe
‘The team is versatile, engaging and very knowledgeable of their craft. They engaged with us in a very collaborative way in executing and very crucial but difficult transaction.’
‘Individuals in Pavestones are very professional and very willing to go the extra mile when needed for their client.’
‘They are small practice who have made very giant strides within a very short space of time. They have made a name for themselves in the industry, and I believe they are only destined for the top.’
‘Seun Timi-Koleolu is business savvy and very responsive.’
‘First, the firm is professional, responsive, proactive and keeps to its commitments. Secondly, their service delivery is efficient and fast. Thirdly, their fees are reasonable and client friendly. Fourthly, they keep current and prospective clients informed of the industry and other relevant information that assists clients’ business.’
‘All members of their team are hands-on; they are available to explain, update or resolve issues promptly.’
‘They are willing to go the extra mile to satisfy their customers – excellent customer service.’
‘They deliver simple, practical and easy to understand legal advice. The team is diverse with multi-sector experience. They work with our commercial objectives at the heart of their legal advice.’
Pick ‘N’ Pay
Agricorp International Development Limited
MudoZangl Nigeria Limited
Gamp Technologies Limited
Kamix Digital Assets
- Advising Hudson (the primary distributor of Nike in the African continent) in connection with its entry into the Nigerian market.
- Advised Identity Pass on its operations in Nigeria and provided transaction advisory services regarding its $2.8million pre-seed fundraise.
- Advised Agricorp regarding its acquisition of the assets of Vami Farms Nig. Limited and the investment of over N1 billion by Vami Farms in Agricorp.