Firms in the Spotlight Tax
Taxand Netherlands is based in Amsterdam. We are an independent tax advisory firm offering a full range of tax services. Our focus areas are (international) tax disputes and transactions. Our tax department is very experienced in advising on international taxation, including transfer pricing, Country by Country reporting, EU state aid and OECD BEPS developments. We …View Profile...
Tax in Netherlands
Baker McKenzie's 'very international team' stands out for its 'deep technical knowledge' and 'works well across borders'. As well its global reach, the practice also utilises its 'strong cross-field knowledge' to provide tax advice within a plethora of diverse sectors, including oil and gas, healthcare, and pharmaceutical. New addition Don-Tobias Jol, previously with Deloitte Legal Netherlands, brings a focus on the fields of executive, equity and broad-based compensation. Practice head Juliana Dantas is qualified in both Dutch and Brazilian tax law, and is a key contact for matters relating to Latin America. Other notable team members are Antonio Russo, Margreet Nijhof and Erik Scheer.
‘Very international team. Very client focused, flexible and fast.‘
‘Antonio Russo: global head of tax. TP professional with 20 years of experience. Very broad knowledge. Margreet Nijhof: head of tax EMEA. Earlier head of tax NL. One of the few women in the sector with such a high profile and recognition.‘
‘Swift acting with deep technical knowledge, yet with a practical edge.‘
‘The Amsterdam BM team (CIT – Transfer Pricing) is always pursuing the highest standards.‘
‘The BM Amsterdam team (CIT- Transfer Pricing) really works like a team, everyone acting as they should.‘
‘The team works well across borders. The network makes connecting with local counsel extremely fast and efficient. Once connected, the teams are highly organised, intelligent and experienced.‘
‘There is a strong emphasis on putting the best qualified person on a project and doing so in a cost-effective manner. Strong cross-field knowledge is common allowing for quicker issue-spotting and allocation of matters to appropriate experts.‘
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised Adyen on the tax aspects of its $1.1bn IPO.
- Assisted Petrobras with the implementation of a strategic alliance with Statoil in the Netherlands.
At De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek, the 'team is made up of great professionals' and is strongly transaction driven, with the firm bringing its 'very pro-active approach and technically robust advice' to a variety of tax matters including M&A, corporate restructuring, finance transactions, management compensation and employee benefits. The practice is expanding its influence in litigious matters, with tax disputes representing a particular area of growth. Paul Sleurink 'seeks practical solutions to problems', and heads the practice jointly with 'very experienced tax partner' Maarten van der Weijden. Henk van Ravenhorst and Wiebe Dijkstra are also noted.
Paul Sleurink; Maarten van der Weijden
‘The firm is highly specialised in Dutch tax matters. The team is made up of great professionals who act jointly and in co-operation. You can always ask any of them as they are all able to solve any queries you may have.‘
‘Paul Sleurink is a partner of the firm who always provides us with his services even as a matter of urgency. He responds with a high technical qualification and seeks practical solutions to problems. Yolande Wu helps Paul to answer our queries. She also does it with solvency and high technical qualifications.‘
‘Very pro-active approach and technically robust advice.‘
‘Maarten van der Weijden is a very experienced tax partner within De Brauw and stands out as being a very pleasant person to work with, as well as having the necessary technical skills and a proactive approach when it comes to assisting me as a client. He understands exactly what is needed for a certain transaction/question and as such is able to ensure I am very satisfied with the particular service requested.‘
Royal Dutch Shell
Port of Rotterdam
- Advised Takeaway on the tax aspects of a combination of Takeaway and Just Eat through a UK scheme of arrangement in a deal worth €10bn.
- Acted as Dutch counsel to the Unilever Group on the contemplated unification of the existing Netherlands – UK dual-headed group into a single-headed Netherlands group in a matter with a value of €130bn.
- Advised APG on the tax aspects of its sale of insurance subsidiary Loyalis to a.s.r.
The 'passionate and driven' team at Houthoff has 'a good international focus' and provides 'great quality advice'. It has a core focus on the tax-related aspects of five key areas, namely international restructuring, M&A, real estate, finance, and investment management, including VAT and transfer pricing. The firm also takes on litigious work, which is the particular focus of Alexander van der Voort Maarschalk. Notable are 'technically excellent' practice head Sylvia Dikmans, Rob Havenga and Alexander Kaarls. New arrival Jeroen van Mourik brings with him experience of advising private equity clients and financial institutions, as well as clients in the automotive and consumer products industries.
‘Great quality advice, responsive and a pleasure to work with.‘
‘Strong and charming personalities, with a passion for their job, responsiveness, knowledge of the US market place and able to deliver top quality service.‘
‘Good international focus, good Dutch focus, hands on, pro-active.‘
‘Good network in the US and Asia, easy to contact, quick responses, knowledgeable.‘
‘The team has given us in the past five years consistently excellent technical advice, very clear and straightforward. The discussions are always at partner level. We had several complicated tax matters and we always felt very comfortable with the advice that we received. Most of the work we had with Houthoff was in partnership in relation to one single client (one of the the biggest companies in Portugal) and the client is extremely satisfied with this arrangement, mostly due to the high quality of the legal advice given by the Houthoff team.‘
‘Sylvia Dikmans is our contact partner. She is technically excellent and she gives us very clear and straightforward advice, even in extremely complicated matters. She is very responsive and available. They are top-notch in terms of technical competence but much more client-focused than their competitors. Wiet Crobach has also been excellent in his advice, both from a technical standpoint and from the point of view of responsiveness. I am sure he will be an excellent tax partner very soon.‘
‘Overall quality across the team, specialisation in taxation of financial services.‘
‘I have been working with the tax people of Houthoff for several years and in my view they remain almost unique in the Dutch tax arena. They have a rare combination of professional skills and business acumen and they always come out with a solution which accommodates everybody’s needs. Furthermore, they are very proactive and responsive.‘
‘Sylvia Dikmans is an excellent professional in corporate tax (with a focus on M&A and real estate). She is highly skilled in technical matters and she also has a pragmatic approach. She is a unique problem solver. Furthermore, she is available 24/7 if needed.‘
‘Passionate and driven, content experts in their fields of expertise (tax & corporate).‘
Apollo Global Management
PVH (including the Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger brands)
Aermont Capital (formerly Perrella Weinberg RE)
Ford Motor Corporation
- Advising a global manufacturer of automotive and industrial equipment on the tax aspects of the forced restructuring of its business and sale of certain activities.
- Assisted with a debt-for-equity swap restructuring of the Agrokor Group.
- Advising listed company Crystal Cruises on all tax aspects of the opening of an operational support company for a luxury river cruise business in Europe.
At Loyens & Loeff, the group has a core focus on international tax services, corporate tax services, investment management, private wealth, indirect tax, and employment tax. Jan Bart Schober is a key name for employment-related taxation. Margriet Lukkien advises multinationals and sovereign wealth funds on Dutch corporate tax and dividend tax aspects. For tax matters related to real estate, Bartjan Zoetmulder is the key name to note while Marco de Lignie frequently acts as tax counsel in private equity buyout and venture capital transactions. 'Calm expert' Marc Klerks is the key name for funds matters. Ynze van der Tempel, Harmen van Dam, Marcel Buur, Arco Bobeldijk and domestic tax affairs specialist Fred van der Leije are also recommended.
Harmen van Dam; Marcel Buur; Arco Bobeldijk; Marco de Lignie; Fred van der Leije; Ynze van der Tempel; Jan Bart Schober
‘In my view the pre-eminent tax practice in Holland.‘
‘Thies Sanders – excellent litigator. Marc Klerks – calm expert.‘
‘Loyens & Loeff is known for its excellence as well as responsiveness on any type of tax and legal matter in the Netherlands.‘
Waterland Private Equity Investments
Simon Property Group
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.
Round Hill Capital
- Assisted HollyFrontier Corporation with tax aspects related to the $655m acquisition of Sonneborn US Holdings and Sonneborn Cooperatief from One Equity Partners.
- Acted for Astorg Partners on tax matters relating to the sale of pay television operator M7 to The Canal+ Group for just over €1bn.
- Advised Arcona Capital on a €53m refinancing deal concerning a Dutch property portfolio.
In an example of its strength in assisting with tax matters arising from M&A, the team at Stibbe recently advised Delivery Hero on the €930m sale of its German food delivery businesses Lieferheld, Pizza.de and Foodora to Takeaway.com. Other key areas of focus for the practice include capital markets transactions, reorganisations, and fund structuring. Reinout de Boer, who 'combines technical theory with practical solutions', is the expert in litigious matters. Michael Molenaars heads the practice. Jeroen Smits, whose key clients include fund managers, Maarten de Bruin, and senior counsel Johan Vrolijk are also names to note.
‘Personal approach, high-level of knowledge.‘
‘Reinout de Boer, combines technical theory with practical solutions. Nice to work with.‘
OMERS Private Equity
AP3 and AP1 (the Swedish National Pension Funds)
McKinsey & Company
Clayton Dubilier & Rice
Insight Venture Partners
- Advising EssilorLuxottica on tax matters related to its intended public takeover of GrandVision.
- Assisted Delivery Hero with the tax aspects of the €930m sale of its German food delivery businesses Lieferheld, Pizza.de and Foodora to Takeaway.com.
- Advised US-based private equity firm Lindsay Goldberg on the tax aspects of the acquisition of the European food packaging business Global Rigid for an enterprise value of €700m.
Allen & Overy LLP
A range of notable financial institutions, investment funds and corporate clients turn to the 'strategic thinkers' at Allen & Overy LLP for their 'very broad knowledge of tax issues, both national and international'. As well as advising on corporate and financial tax law, the practice has a growing expertise in the real estate industry. 'Good strategist and negotiator' Godfried Kinnegim also frequently represents clients in litigious matters. Other key names to note are Christiaan de Brauw, John Brouwer of counsel, and 'very practical' Rens Bondrager, who specialises in advising on the tax aspects of transactions.
‘Great team, excellent know-how, pragmatic, focused, efficient. Strategic thinkers.‘
‘Godfried Kinnegim is an excellent tax lawyer. He is our main contact at the firm and overall extremely helpful and client focused. Good strategist and negotiator. Charlotte Hoff is a great associate, super helpful, knowledgeable.‘
‘Strong combination of technical expertise and practical experience and approach.‘
‘Godfried Kinnegim: very service-oriented, gives good guidance of what works, what is necessary and what makes things unnecessarily complicated – everything I look for in a tax adviser.‘
‘The team has a very broad knowledge of tax issues, both national and international.‘
‘We had the pleasure of working with Rens Bondrager. He has a broad knowledge of tax issues, is very practical, and easy to contact and to communicate with.‘
APG Asset Management
Royal Ahold Delhaize
NextEra Energy Resources
Bencis Capital Partners
- Advised APG and GIC on the structuring and tax aspects of the €435m acquisition of a 33% interest in the European joint venture of Host Hotels & Resorts.
- Acted for Wessanen on the tax aspects of its €885m public takeover offer by a consortium consisting of PAI Partners and Charles Jobson.
- Assisted TomTom with the tax aspects of the €910m sale of its Telematics business to Bridgestone Europe.
With the arrival of Johan Visser and of counsel Gooike van Slooten from Baker McKenzie, the team at boutique firm Atlas Tax Lawyers has expanded its strength in global reorganisation, M&A, and indirect tax matters relating to international supply chains, including customs classification and valuation matters. Counsel Mireille Hendrikx is another new addition to the 'pragmatic' team. The practice acts for global multinationals across various industries, including oil and gas, and media, as well as a number of Silicon Valley technology firms and breweries. Core team members include Roelof Gerritsen, Bas Leensma, Frank Schwarte and Matthijs Wierenga. Joël Wessels left the firm in March 2019.
Roelof Gerritsen; Matthijs Wierenga; Bas Leensma
‘Pragmatic, deal-driven approach, willing to negotiate to get the deal done.‘
‘Practical excellence. They know their stuff, but do not over complicate matters for the client. Small teams with partner involvement throughout the process.‘
Active Capital Company
Corum Asset Management
- Advised Mirage Holdings, the investment vehicle of Michiel Witteveen, the CEO of Blokker Holding, on thte tax aspects of the management buy-out of the Blokker group.
- Assisted a Brazilian e-commerce platform with the transfer of various assets, including IP, to the Netherlands, as part of its expansion into the European market.
- Represented a real estate investment fund, managed by Syntrus Achmea, in litigation before the Dutch tax court concerning the scope of VAT exemption for the management of collective investment funds.
Bird & Bird fields a team of 'specialists with specific areas of expertise' especially those focused on technology, communications, life sciences, and energy and utilities. Clients from these industries include domestic and global name, Kiadis Pharma, ImmunoPrecise Antibodies and Cellnex Telecom. Practice head Willem Bongaerts is 'a realistic and knowledgeable' specialist for M&A transactions, corporate finance and business restructurings. 'Soft spoken, knowledgeable and approachable'of counsel Pieter Camps is also recommended.
‘Practical, but cautious. No over-promising, but realistic views on your position. Good view of what is important and what is not important without missing details.‘
‘Pieter Camps – soft spoken, knowledgeable and approachable. Willem Bongaerts – realistic and knowledgeable.‘
‘Received great assistance from the team – I was mainly in touch with their tax partner, whose information was of great value to me. The firm employs many specialists with specific areas of expertise, and through my one contact with Willem I had access to all this expertise.‘
‘Great personal connection. Always available to deliver information, even if it is not within their own expertise. Even pro-actively reach out to provide information that could be of benefit. Quick response times.‘
‘Apart from being very knowledgeable, the lawyers from Bird & Bird have a very friendly and personal approach.‘
‘The relationships are close, the attitude is professional but still very friendly and full of humour. Eager to co-operate to make clients feel unique.‘
Taco Group Holding Inc.
ImmunoPrecise Antibodies Ltd
Tilray Inc. / Privateer Holdings
Cellnex Telecom S.A.
SPUR Steak Ranches International
Daher Aerospace SA
- Advising ForeScout Technologies on the tax aspects of its €113m acquisition of SecurityMatters.
- Assisted Kiadis Pharma with the acquisition of US-based early stage biotech company CytoSen Technologies in an all-share deal, and with a €28m private placement.
- Assisted Corviglia Capital Fund, a global fintech growth equity investor, with its fund formation in Luxembourg.
At DLA Piper, the 'extremely knowledgeable' tax team works to 'understand client requirements first' then 'provides advice accordingly'. As well as advising on the tax aspects of M&A transactions, the practice also draws on the firm's global reach to assist with a wide range of other tax matters, including state aid assessments, transfer pricing planning, and executive and employee compensation packages. Practice head Daan Arends specialises in the international VAT aspects of e-commerce and customs planning. Gabriël van Gelder is a key name for deal structuring for various US private equity firms, including The Carlyle Group. Jean Paul Dresen is another key contact. Jian-Cheng Ku made partner in May 2019.
‘The team has all the knowledge to advise my clients. They are pro-active in their approach.‘
‘Pro-active, knowledgeable, practical approach.‘
‘Simplify complicated tax matters for their clients. Always proactive when it comes to providing tax advice. Extremely efficient and solution-oriented when there are challenges. Work in a holistic manner covering tax aspects from all work streams (financing, structuring and property). Good working relationship with the Dutch tax authorities as well as other law firms.‘
‘Extremely knowledgeable and on top of tax law changes. Articulate ideas in a very simplistic manner to clients. Understand client requirements first and work to provide advice accordingly. Knowledgeable about GCC client base tax requirements & Islamic finance structuring. Worked closely with Jean Paul Dressen and Sebastiaan Wijsman and it was great having them on our team.‘
The Carlyle Group
The Walt Disney Company
RBS / NatWest Markets
The Baupost Group
Newell Brands Inc. (NYSE: NWL)
Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT)
John Swire & Sons / Mibenta
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Rasmala Investment Bank
- Advising The Carlyle Group on tax matters relating to the acquisition of the HSO Group, including fund modelling and debt/equity structure both from a corporate income tax and VAT perspective.
- Assisted Rasmala Investment Bank Limited with the turnkey acquisition of the DuPont Building from Dura Vermeer.
- Advised Newell Brands on on all tax matters involved in the divestment of its Mapa Spontex business, in relation to an internal pre-carve-out restructuring and external sale.
Hamelink & Van den Tooren
Hamelink & Van den Tooren provides a comprehensive range of tax consultancy services, focusing primarily on advising global companies on corporate income taxation matters. The team has also developed a strong track record in assisting insurance companies and underwriters with the Dutch tax aspects of transactions for which they intend to offer a W&I insurance policy. In recent highlights, the firm advised Vinci Concessions on the tax aspects involved in the establishment and operation of a large infrastructure project in Russia. Practice head Jan van den Tooren, Maarten Edie, Servaas van Dooren and Wendy Moes are the names to note.
Jan van den Tooren
‘Small firm offering high value for money in the tax field.‘
‘Wouter Vosse is both very knowledgeable and pragmatic, focuses on the client’s needs and delivers practical solutions in a time effective way.‘
Climate Investor 1 / Climate Fund Managers
Vinci Concessions SA
Baring Vostok Capital Partners
- Advised Vinci Concessions on the tax aspects involved in the establishment and operation of a joint venture concerning a large infrastructure project in Russia.
- Advising Fortum Corporation on an international mutual agreement procedure and on obtaining an APA for its Dutch financing activities.
- Assisted Amadeus with the tax aspects relating to a bond issue, in a deal worth €100m.
NautaDutilh fields an 'experienced team' with a strong transactional focus, which is able to combine a 'thorough understanding of the law' with 'a good insight into their client's objectives'. Advice to clients is provided both in the context of specific transactions and in the practice's capacity as general tax counsel, the latter often following a transaction. Chris Warner, who jointly heads the team with Nico Blom, is advising Renault on its merger talks with Fiat-Chrysler; the potential merger is estimated at €33bn. For litigious tax matters the key contact is Léon Wijsman. Edward Rijnhout is also noted.
Chris Warner; Nico Blom
‘An experienced team with a good mix of tax technical knowledge, communicative skills and a pragmatic getting-the-deal-done mentality.‘
‘Strong professionals able to effectively negotiate a transaction because of a thorough understanding of the law and a good insight into their client’s objectives.‘
Johnson & Johnson
- Advising Renault on its merger talks with Fiat Chrysler.
- Assisted HAL Holding/HAL Investments with the €5.5bn sale of its 77% stake in GrandVision to EssilorLuxottica.
- Assisted ABN Amro with the tax aspects of the sale of its escrow and settlement business to Intertrust.
Norton Rose Fulbright's tax team has a core focus on acting for clients from the renewable energy sector and assisting with tax aspects relating to W&I insurance matters. It has also recently further expanded its client base into the Americas and Africa, and its clients include Canadian Tire Corporation, Toronto Dominion Bank and Appian Capital Advisor. The firm also receives instruction from clients within the infrastructure and transport sectors. Key contacts are practice head Remco Smorenburg and Bart le Blanc, whose predominantly focuses on investments by US and European clients in emerging markets.
‘Remco Smorenburg is the partner in charge of attending to our group of Dutch companies, along with with Frank Kuilboer. The NRF team understands very well the industry overall and are capable of responding to any inquiries that our group requires.‘
Aboitiz Renewables Inc
Appian Capital Advisory LLP
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES)
Canadian Tire Corporation
Dual Specialty M&A Insurance
Ib Vogt GmbH
Hankoe/New Steel Global
Ocean Rig UWD Inc
S7 / Siberian Airlines
Toronto Dominion (TD) Bank
- Assisting Appian Capital Advisory with the setup of its second fund and Dutch investment platform in a deal worth $500m.
- Assisted NuStar with an auction process involving multiple bidders which resulted in the strategic sale of its European terminals and related assets to Inter Terminals.
- Advised Convial, a subsidiary of Sacyr SA, the Spanish listed construction company, on the structuring of its bond issuance vehicle in connection with the acquisition of certain receivables derived from co-financing payments owed to Concesionaria Vial Sierra Norte by the State of Peru.
With the arrival of Monique van Herksen, the tax team at Simmons & Simmons has expanded its strength to include advising on transfer pricing controversies. Other focuses for the 'very experienced' practice include assisting investment funds with asset management, advising financial institutions, and acting for clients from the life sciences and technology sectors. The firm receives instruction from a number of domestic and international asset and hedge fund managers, including Amundi, AXA Investment Managers, and Nova Capital. Practice head René van Eldonk is recommended for his 'extensive knowledge', and Peter Flipsen is also a key contact.
René van Eldonk
‘Very experienced and have extensive knowledge of acquisitions and tax matters. Think strategically, take the initiative, co-ordinate if you wish and keep a good overview.‘
‘René van Eldonk and Steven den Boer: both are very experienced and have extensive knowledge of acquisitions and tax matters. They think strategically, take the initiative, co-ordinate if you wish and keep a good overview.‘
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA)
Insight Investment Capital
- Assisting Office Depot with a cross-border restructuring in view of the implementation of a new sales strategy and with a tax efficient divestment structure in anticipation of a potential merger with Staples.
- Advising Insight Investment Capital on the ongoing restructuring of its $250m Guernsey Fund investing in farmland projects across the globe, including in Australia, New Zealand, Latin America and Central Europe.
- Advising HVC on the implications of the introduction of corporate income tax liability for the client’s waste business, as an indirect local government-held company.
At AKD, the 'team can provide a specialist for each topic'. As well as assisting corporate clients with tax planning, restructuring, refinancing, and M&A, practice head Huub Laauwen also advises a number of high-net-worth families and individuals on the tax management and structuring of their worldwide assets. Hans Galavazi is a key contact for tax disputes. Other key contacts for assisting multinationals, investment funds, financial institutions and pension funds are Robert Jean Kloprogge and Jan-Willem Beijk. In recent highlights, Ivo Vreman was involved in the structuring of the $4.5bn acquisition of the Arysta group by United Phosphorus.
‘The team can provide a specialist for each topic, example, one specialist for work cost regulation rules, one specialist for European VAT matters, one specialist for annual tax return.‘
Tate & Lyle
- Assisting UPL Limited with specific tax matters relating to the $4bn acquisition of the American chemicals company Arysta Corporation.
- Advising Shandong Linglong Tyre Company on the tax aspects of the set-up of a car tire manufacturing facility in Serbia by its Dutch subsidiary Linglong Netherlands.
- Assisted Omnam Group with the €100m redevelopment and sale of hotel and leisure complex VEN Amsterdam.
The tax team at Buren combines 'a great understanding of business needs' with 'pragmatic advice' and provides 'quick yet reliable solutions, whatever the specific industry area may be'. The practice provides assistance with the full gamut of tax-related matters, from the setting up of a transaction structure right through to the post-completion integration of a target group. Cees-Frans Greeven is available whenever 'clients need clever and sharp structuring advice'. Peter van Dijk specialises in setting up corporate structures for foreign investors or Dutch-based internationally operating groups, with an especial focus on Russia, CEE and Japan.
Peter van Dijk; Cees-Frans Greeven
‘Extremely responsive. They give pro-active and practical advice, and are excellent at anticipating questions.‘
‘Cees-Frans Greeven has been my main point of contact for years. I can always reach out for him when my clients need clever and sharp structuring advice. Excellent network worldwide – I have very much appreciated his referrals to lawyers in NY or Uruguay.‘
‘Buren is able to provide integrated legal, tax and notarial services with the quality of the bigger firms but sometimes with more efficiency.‘
‘Great understanding of business needs, and provided pragmatic advice in a very complex matter we had.‘
‘The Buren team has a particularly hands-on approach and comes up with quick yet reliable solutions, whatever the specific industry area may be.‘
‘The Buren team members are very approachable, provide an excellent service and have a minimal reaction time.‘
‘They have a personal and dedicated approach to the clients with a small team of professionals.‘
‘They can be contacted 24/7 and have a quick turnaround for any matter.‘
‘Buren consists of ambitious professionals, whose main concern is to provide a comprehensive range of high quality legal services. Their success is founded on their ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an uncompromising service commitment to their clients.‘
‘They are incredibly responsive and practical in their advice.‘
Kimball Electronics, Inc.
Doppelmayr Seilbahnen GmbH
Latitude20 Capital Partners (Lat20)
Catalyst MENA Clean Energy Fund (CMFC)
Inter RAO group
Nippon Suisan B.V.
AINA Hospitality Investment Fund
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
- Advised the structured trade finance unit Latitude20 Capital Partners on its $250m partnership with Corrum Capital Management.
- Assisted Bregal Partners, a private equity fund with $600m committed capital, with the acquisition of a US-based leading aspirational infant and juvenile products company.
- Advising Catalyst Mena Clean Energy Fund (CMFC), and its Guernsey-based investment manager Catalyst Investment Management, on the international and Dutch tax aspects concerning its fund formation.
At Clifford Chance, the team stands out for its 'good knowledge, practical approach and good communication with clients'. The practice acts for international and domestic corporates, private equity houses, banks, investment managers and pension funds, among them Morgan Stanley and AccorInvest. 'Leading practitioner' Michiel Sunderman, who is 'very responsive', advises on the full range of tax matters, including those associated with M&A, financial restructurings, fund structuring, corporate, cross-border, and structured finance transactions.
‘Fast advice of excellent quality, especially in M&A related transactions. Good value for money.‘
‘Team led by Michiel Sunderman, a leading practitioner, excellent quality, very responsive. Nolan Groenland – very capable young associate, in particular in employment related matters.‘
‘Clifford Chance Netherlands has a tax team with good knowledge, a practical approach and good communication with clients.‘
‘Open communication, pleasant to work with. Individuals are equally critical of “opposite parties” and “our side”. This is the advice I look for, because an adviser that just confirms my own views does not add any value. Therefore I consider the individuals that I work with at Clifford Chance Dutch tax team critical in a positive way.‘
ABN AMRO BANK
American Towers Corporation
CVC Capital Partners
- Advised Tele2 Group and Deutsche Telekom on the €190m merger of their Dutch businesses.
- Assisted DSM and Sinochem with the disposal of their 50/50 joint venture DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals to Bain Capital for €440m.
- Assisted ABN Amro with structuring and documenting a new type of Dutch law-governed bank bond: senior non-preferred notes.
Greenberg Traurig LLP's client list confirms its particular expertise in the energy and real estate sectors, with companies including Nostrum Oil & Gas, Amundi and Heitman International. The team brings its 'international, responsive and practical approach' to matters including tax advice related to M&A and real estate deals. The practice also has a contentious focus, and is valued for being 'very experienced in customs and trade matters'. Key team members are practice head Thomas van der Vliet, Alex Westerman, who focuses on multinational tax planning, and experienced litigator Reinier van de Steenoven.
Thomas van der Vliet
‘Truly welcome international, responsive and practical approach!‘
‘Very experienced in customs and trade matters, well-connected to authorities.‘
‘Erik de Bie – best trade lawyer in the Netherlands.‘
The Stars Group (PokerStars)
Nostrum Oil & Gas
Meyer Realty Partners / MRP
Heitman International LLC
- Assisted Tacx with the sale of all of its outstanding shares in the Tacx group to Garmin.
- Assisted EHM Group with the sale of its Apollo Hotels portfolio, comprising 13 hotels with 1,938 rooms throughout the Netherlands, to the Israeli Fattal Hotels group.
- Advised Lagaay Medical Group on the tax aspects of its sale of 70% of its stake to B&S Group, a global distribution partner for consumer goods.
At Linklaters, the tax team 'displays that rare combination of extraordinary technical skill and business sense', according to one client. The practice advises on domestic and international tax law, focusing on tax planning relating to M&A, corporate restructuring and investment funds. In recent highlights, the firm assisted Cerberus with the tax aspects relating to the acquisition and financing of a €3.8bn portfolio of real estate assets. Practice head Dick Hofland provides 'expert advice'. Clients include Intel, Scanlan Group and ING Group.
‘The Linklaters team displays that rare combination of extraordinary technical skill and business sense to understand the important issues that must be solved to achieve the desired business result.‘
‘We have retained Linklaters in Holland expressly to have Dick Hofland provide his expert advice. We have done business in Holland for 20 years and have used Dick for the entire time but have also been exposed to most of the other highly ranked firms. Dick is simply the best tax person in Holland. He is brilliant technically but also is a business lawyer who knows how to get deals done. He was extraordinary in 2018 dealing with a never ending series of law changes.‘
Cerberus Capital Management
- Advised Cerberus on the tax aspects relating to the acquisition and financing of a €3.8bn portfolio of real estate assets.
- Advised BC Partners, a global private equity firm, on the pending strategic acquisition by Keter Group of Adams Manufacturing Corporation.
- Assisting Hertz Europe Limited with the amendment of its existing securitisation for France and the Netherlands to cover Germany and Spain.
Van Doorne has an increasingly significant practice for private client tax work, and also acts for large and medium-sized businesses and their owners on issues relating to business transfers and estate planning. For national and international transactional work, Ewout van Asbeck is the key contact. Practice head Rob de Win has specialist expertise in real estate and indirect taxes. New arrival Jan Roeland regularly advises US and other non-Dutch companies on how best to structure their worldwide operations.
Rob de Win
‘The team is always thinking in terms of seeking solutions for problems instead of thinking in impossibilities.‘
‘Arianne Bonthuis is very hands-on, is clever, quick and knows exactly the challenges firms like ours are facing.‘
Warehauses De Pauw Comm. VA (WDP)
Xior Student Housing NV
Retail Estates NV
Care Property Invest NV
- Advised TransIP Group on tax aspects relating to the acquisition of all shares in Eternity Holding.
- Assisting the management of Eiffel with tax matters relating to its sale to Gilde Equity Management.
- Advised Care Property Invest on all aspects of its corporate and tax structuring.
The 'very technical, practical and solution-oriented' team at Dentons is 'dedicated to finding practical solutions and understanding the client's business'. The firm's 'excellent industry knowledge' stands out especially in the energy sector, where the practice advises energy companies, shipbuilders, and offshore contractors. The key contact for such clients is Jurjen Bevers, who 'can easily deal with foreign tax systems' and 'quickly sees the big picture'. Bevers jointly heads the practice with 'pragmatic adviser' Heico Reinoud, who is always 'prepared to engage in collaborative discussions to understand and resolve challenges'. Another key area of strength for the practice is tax litigation.
Jurjen Bevers; Heico Reinoud
‘High quality. Great industry knowledge. Innovative. Pragmatic. Strong strategic view.‘
‘Jurjen Bevers, tax partner: an all-round international tax professional with very good analytical skills. Educated in the Netherlands, he has proven to be easy to work with, connect to and can easily deal with foreign tax systems. This is helpful for the discussions we have all around the globe (e.g. UK, Norway, US, Australia, Mexico, Brazil). He quickly sees the big picture, while being capable of pinpointing details where needed. He has shown a profound interest in understanding our company’s way of working and recognising its main value drivers. Wesley Boldewijn, associate: good analytical and social skills with a wide range of expertise. Able to overcome cultural differences, and driven to keep the overall company strategy in mind.‘
‘Excellent industry knowledge. Team knows to translate industry practice to tax advice.‘
‘Jurjen Bevers and Wesley Boldewijn are excellent tax lawyers, who not only have an eye for the client, but for the industry they advise as a whole.‘
‘We had a good experience with Dentons Netherlands and we especially appreciated their capability to provide tailored and practical tax advice to our specific situations rather than theoretical comments. They also demonstrated a very good technical knowledge and a swift reaction when we needed them.‘
‘Very technical, practical and solution-oriented. I would also say that they were fair in their approach and provided straight to the point advice without complicating matters.‘
‘Dedicated to finding practical solutions and understanding the client’s business. Responsive to requests.‘
‘Heico Reinoud has been involved with the setup and growth of our business since its inception, and has become an important contributor to the overall success of new strategies.‘
‘The tax team, co-ordinated by Heico Reinoud, works very well with other experts across the firm’s service base to assist effective implementation of complex advice, rather than simply rendering advice and leaving the client to implement it without practical and effective assistance.‘
‘Heico Reinoud is a pragmatic adviser, prepared to engage in collaborative discussions to understand and resolve challenges in a practically minded fashion. It is easy to pick up the phone to Heico and bounce ideas off him. It short-cuts identification of solutions and elimination of ideas that are not viable. Once matters have been narrowed down, Heico also provides concise documented advice, which does not labour under endless caveats and irrelevant substance.‘
CBRE Global Investors
Globalworth Real Estate Investments
Invel Real Estate Partners
Quint Wellington Redwood
Seaway Heavy Lifting/Subsea 7
- Successfully represented an international energy company before the Dutch Supreme Court in a case concerning the deductibility of interest costs for the purposes of the state profit share levy.
- Advising private equity firm Triacta on the structure of its investment into Kouwenberg, a Dutch company active in the drilling and pipe laying industry.
- Assisting a consortium of large Dutch construction contractors with the tax issues involved in the building of a gas storage facility in Germany.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Jones Day's team is able to draw on its 'easy access to an international network'. 'Excellent all-round tax lawyer' Lodewijk Berger provides 'practical and succinct' advice, particularly on matters relating to cross-border tax planning, M&A transactions, and tax controversy. 'Outstanding lawyer' Ate Veenstra is 'well informed' on tax matters; he specialises in advising on structuring and fund services, including fund formation, reviews, and litigation. Other key contacts are Floris Pierik and Quirine Eenhorst, who frequently assists managers with the establishment of private funds.
Lodewijk Berger; Ate Veenstra
‘Jones Day has a small tax team but more than any other advisers I’ve worked with they feel fully part of the team whenever we are working together. We use Jones Day principally to advise on Dutch legislation affecting our operating and holding companies. In this area we feel that JD are outstanding relative to much larger competitors. The Jones Day team responds rapidly to all our questions.‘
‘Our principal partner contact is Lodewijk Berger. His advice is pro-active, tailored to our business to the extent that it feels as if he is integrated within it, as well as practical and succinct. Despite the grey areas of nuance within which we are often working, Lodewijk is always willing to give decisive opinions. Stef Plouvier similarly knows our business well and is a valued member of our extended “team”.‘
‘Thoughtful of circumstances of both the manager and investor. Aware of the interaction between tax and the law. Easy access to an international network.‘
‘Ate Veenstra is one of a kind!‘
‘High quality, pragmatic. Pro-active and quick. Highly recommended.‘
‘Ate Veenstra is an outstanding lawyer; well informed, quick on his feet and a good laugh to work with.‘
‘Lodewijk Berger stands out. He is an excellent all-round tax lawyer, super responsive and able to read the room.‘
‘We discussed tax implications in the context of setting up a fund. The discussion was very useful.‘
‘The key partner on tax issues for us is Ate Veenstra and on tax matters we also spoke to Lodewijk Berger. Ate is a creative thinker. Other than these we are in touch with Quirine Eenhorst and Marierose Kouwenberg on fund issues and with Harmen Wielens on regulatory issues. We are very positive about these three individuals.‘
The Coca-Cola Company
- Advised Engie on its $8.6bn acquisition and related financing of 90% of Transportadora Associada de Gás.
- Assisted Aurelius Equity Opportunities with the tax aspects of the full shop auction sale of the Solidus Solutions group to funds advised by Centerbridge Partners.
- Advising Petronas Chemicals Group on its €163m acquisition of private equity-owned Da Vinci Group.
At Taxand Netherlands, Martijn Jaegers specialises in advising clients from various industries, including manufacturing, consumer, and financial services, on the EU regulatory indirect tax framework, in both a domestic and global context. Jimmie van der Zwaan focuses on assisting clients from the energy sector, as well as heading the Dutch transfer pricing practice. The team also represents clients in litigation.
CMS' tax team has a core focus on the financial services, real estate and construction, consumer products, transportation, and professional and business services sectors. Advice on real estate and M&A transactions is provided in collaboration with colleagues from related practice areas. Practice head Herman Boersen has particular expertise in assisting with matters related to W&I insurance, and regularly acts for major London-based underwriters.
RFS Holland Holding (Wehkamp)
Borghese Real Estate
Delin Capital Asset Management
Catella Real Estate AG
Nuon / Vattenfall
Liberty Mutal Insurance
- Assisted property developer COD with the €127m sale and transfer of the leasehold land at TT Vasumweg in the NDSM port area of Amsterdam to investor Bouwinvest.
- Advised Aviva Investors on the tax aspects of the acquisition of Danone Innovation Centre in Utrecht.
- Advised Capreon, the property company formed by Noé Group, on the disposal of the office building Haagsche Zwaan in The Hague to TH Real Estate in a deal worth €70m.
Boutique firm HVK Stevens stands out for its 'strong relationship with tax administrators' and 'an extremely commercial approach'. As well as advising private equity funds, institutional investors, family businesses, and M&A boutiques, the practice has also developed a niche speciality in assisting charitable organisations. The group also handles litigious matters and private wealth tax matters; Stan Stevens is the key contact for work related to the latter. 'Commercial and pragmatic', Joost van den Berg 'is exceptional for cross-border tax structuring'. Also notable are Wilbert van Vliet and Mark Janssen. Peter Josten, formerly of Houthoff, joined the firm in June 2019.
Stan Stevens; Wilbert van Vliet; Mark Janssen; Joost van den Berg; Peter Josten
‘HVK Stevens is at the forefront of new tax developments. They use their wide academic knowledge, their strong relationship with tax administrators, and their thorough tax-scene monitoring tools in order to anticipate tax impacts for their clients and pro-actively propose solutions.‘
‘Joost van den Berg is exceptional on cross-border tax structuring. His wide dual Dutch-Luxembourg professional experience as well as his continuous pro-activity and practical approach places him as one of the rising stars on the market. Aside from tax expertise, he enables clients to really concentrate on their business, whilst driving them through tax changes in a seamless fashion.‘
‘The HVK Stevens team manages to combine solid technical knowledge and ability with an extremely commercial approach. They go beyond just doing what is requested and will pro-actively identify and propose solutions to any issues that might arise.‘
‘Joost van den Berg stands out particularly with his ability to identify solutions. He is able to bridge the gap between the Netherlands and Luxembourg and also works well in conjunction with other law firms in cross-border transactions.‘
‘Most experienced people to solve the issue.‘
‘Committed to solving the problem.‘
‘Wilbert van Vliet is reliable and professional, and understands our situation very well.‘
‘Joost van den Berg is commercial and pragmatic. He knows our business and provides tailored advice which fits our needs.‘
- Providing Stichting ArtZuid, the organiser of one of the largest public space sculpture biennale events, with tax advice relating to matters including import and export of large sculptures and special VAT status.
- Assisting Windpark Zeewolde with its negotiations with the tax authorities.
- Advised Helios Investment Partners on the $250m IPO of Fawry Egypt, an electronic payments company.
At Kraaijeveld Coppus Legal (KC Legal), Friggo Kraaijeveld specialises in tax issues with an international dimension, including private equity structuring, cross-border investments, international trade and labour. Also notable at the practice is Ceriel Coppus, whose areas of focus are group restructurings and joint venture investments.
With the arrival of Job van der Pol from Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, the team at Osborne Clarke has expanded its expertise to include advice on the tax aspects of M&A and real estate transactions, including structuring and negotiating cross-border investments, as well as assisting with contentious tax matters. van der Pol 'provides very clear and balanced advice' and also 'demonstrates an excellent understanding of the commercial interests involved'. Sector specialities for the practice include energy and utilities, digital business, real estate and infrastructure, financial services, recruitment, life sciences and healthcare, and retail.
Job van der Pol
‘Job van der Pol provides very clear and balanced advice in what is often a complex area and demonstrates an excellent understanding of the commercial interests involved.‘
ABN AMRO Energy Transition Fund
CEE Management GmbH
- Assisted MediaMonks with tax matters relating to its acquisition of Caramel Pictures.
- Advised Infosys on its €127.5m acquisition of 75% of the shares in Stater from ABN Amro Bank.
- Assisted Breath and existing shareholders Gimv, Sofinnova Partners, Gilde Healthcare and founders, with the sale of Breath Therapeutics to Zambon for up to a total of €500m, subject to regulatory and sales milestones.