Industry focus: retail in Netherlands
Dentons has a preeminent reputation for handling leasing matters in the retail sector; the group also handles various other real estate matters involving retail development and investment. In addition, the team advises retailers on administrative, regulatory, and environmental law. Wendela Raas heads the retail and real estate practices, and acts for a number of investors, project developers, and chain stores. Raas is active in real estate litigation and has experience of representing clients before the Supreme Court. Valentijn Leijh was promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Elshof; Paul Wanders; Valentijn Leijh
‘Dedicated people, well informed, with up to date knowledge’.
‘Easy to reach, they will always call you back’.
‘Very practical approach, with good legal knowledge’.
‘Accurate and quick response’.
Airwair (Dr. Martens)
- Provided extensive Covid-19 advice to Patrizia, such as renegotiating leases with retail tenants.
- Advised Altera in connection with the acquisition of two shopping centres – Westwijk in Amstelveen and Zijdelwaard in Uithoorn – from Tristan Capital / Sectie5.
- Negotiated new leases for Under Armour in the Netherlands, UK, and Portugal.
Kennedy Van der Laan
Kennedy Van der Laan focuses on commercial contracting for large international blue-chip clients, as well as smaller domestic companies. International franchising, distribution and commercial agency and commissionaire contracts are all key pillars of the practice, alongside commercial litigation and arbitration. The team is a popular choice for clients from the hospitality, technology, life sciences and fashion sectors. Martine de Koning heads the commercial and international trade group and is recommended for EU competition law and cross-border disputes before civil courts and EU and Dutch competition authorities.
Martine de Koning
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very dedicated and focused on their clients’ interests and their assistance is always business oriented’.
‘Martine de Koning is a real expert in the retail field’.
‘Market leaders within IP and franchising’.
‘Apart from knowing everything about the law, the team also has great commercial knowledge and understanding’.
‘Martine De Koning is without any doubt the most skilled legal advisor within franchising and IP’.
‘Very responsive and hands-on team’.
‘Extremely straightforward and very solution-oriented’.
‘The firm provides speedy and effective legal advice with good organised team work’.
Marriott & Starwood
Henkel (Global Supply Chain B.V.)
Danone Africa and Overseas (DNAO)
Expense Reduction Analysists (ERA)
Loyens & Loeff advises high-end retailers and property investors on real estate, corporate, commercial, and bankruptcy and insolvency matters, in the retail space. It has recently seen an uptick in instructions relating to logistics and e-commerce. Lonne Rooseboom heads the team and is a key name for real estate transactions, turnkey projects and project development. Steven Lucas acts for domestic and global clients on commercial real estate development, civil construction law, tenancy law and property transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Steven Lucas; Bram Linnartz
High Brook Investors
M7 Real Estate
Scoth & Soda
The Blackstone Group
- Advising Sun Capital on the restructuring and subsequent bankruptcy of Vroom & Dreesman (V&D).
- Advising Zurich in relation to the bankruptcy of Hudson’s Bay Company in the Netherlands.
- Advised USAA Realco and Somerset in order to create the largest distribution centre in the Benelux.
The retail and consumer goods group at Van Doorne has a broad workload, with a particularly notable focus on corporate and M&A, and joint ventures. It is also well regarded for insolvency and restructuring, IP, privacy, and EU and competition law. Practice head Lisette Bieleveld is adept at handling commercial contract litigation, frequently with an international angle. Onno Boerstra advises Dutch and foreign companies, private equity funds and other investors on cross-border transactions. Els de Wind is a key name for employment matters.
Other key lawyers:
Onno Boerstra; Els de Wind; Elisabeth Thole
Aberdeen Asset Management
Barry Callebaut Belgium
CBR Fashion Group
Denon & Marantz Group
Detail Result Groep
Dutch State Lottery
Hans Anders Retail Group
Intergamma (Gamma and Karwei)
INTRAKOOP, Coöperatieve Inkoopvereniging voor zorg en welzijn U.A.
Laboratoires La Prairie
LG CNS Europe
M7 Real Estate
McArthurGlen Group/Simon Property Group
North Technology Group
Retail Estates N.V.
Royal Ahold Delhaize
- Advised Eichholtz, an iconic designer and business to business wholesaler of luxury furniture, lighting and home accessories on the sale of a majority stake in the Eichholtz Group to Gilde Buy-Out Fund.
- Assisting Street One and Cecil in various legal proceedings against Vidrea and its former directors.
- Advised Intertoys on its restructuring.
act Fort Advocaten specialises in franchising, and insolvency and restructuring matters, and also handles rental matters, real estate transactions, M&A, corporate disputes and employment issues. As part of act legal, an alliance of independent firms, the practice is well placed to handle matters across Europe. The team attracts work from large international corporates, midsized enterprises, governments and investors. Katinka Verdurmen is a key name for commercial real estate matters and litigation. Dirk van den Berg and Jodit de Bruin are the other names to note.
Katinka Verdurmen; Dirk van den Berg; Jodit de Bruin
‘Good knowledge, quick replies and pragmatic advice’.
‘Good knowledge of our business’.
‘Knowledge of the relevant market developments’.
‘Pro-active practice with a good network’.
‘All individuals have both good social and professional skills’.
Big Bazar B.V.
Mirage Retail Group B.V.
H. Lagendijk Holding B.V.
Hendriks Brandstoffen B.V.
JD Sports Fashion B.V.
Kolhoorn Heerde B.V.
Nederflex Beheer B.V.
Nespresso Nederland B.V.
Scapino Retail B.V.
Sports Unlimited Retail B.V.
Yves Rocher B.V.
Sallaerts Tankstations B.V.
Ziengs Schoenen B.V.
Mexx Europe B.V.
MS Mode Nederland B.V.
Nedstede Retail B.V.
Albert Heijn Franchisee Association
- Represented the franchisees of Albert Heijn in a complex matter on financial settlements against franchisor Albert Heijn.
- Advising and litigating for Blokker B.V. on several franchise, lease and Covid-19-related matters.
- Acting for Intertoys B.V. on several franchise and real estate matters.
The consumer goods and retail industry group at Baker McKenzie is able to draw on cross-practice expertise to provide a full service to retail clients across the whole lifecycle of a product. Leveraging its global network, the firm is well placed to handle international mandates in an increasingly globalised consumer marketplace. Areas of focus include IP, corporate and commercial, and contentious issues. Key practitioner Itse Oosterhoff handles domestic commercial litigation and international disputes.
Itse Oosterhoff; Wibren Veldhuizen; Harald van Dobbenburgh; Michiel Bijloo; Laura Rietvelt; Christiaan van der Meer
‘Very well-tuned to understand clients’ challenges and always available to come up with practical solutions’.
‘Super-nice and fast team to work with’.
‘Itse Oosterhoff and his team provide value for money’.
‘They are knowledgeable and provide practical advice and seamless support’.
‘The team of Itse Oosterhoff delivers great legal service and communicates well’.
‘Itse Oosterhoff delivers great legal advice, invests in long-standing partnerships and is very practical’.
‘The team is strong in client management and is able to explain difficult situations in a clear and understandable way’.
‘Always available with the right background knowledge to support us with appropriate legal counsel’.
Johnson & Johnson
British American Tobacco
- Acting for Unilever in its trade mark prosecution (brand management) matters, on (potential) trade mark infringement matters and strategic trade mark advice regarding the Benelux.
- Advising a global fashion brand on IP infringement matters involving parallel imports, as well as counterfeit jeans and leisure products that were being sold via established discounters.
- Advising Mistral, the well-known water sports and lifestyle brand, on various matters regarding IP distribution and licensing contracts, trade mark licenses and disputes.
NautaDutilh focuses on restructuring and insolvency, and corporate matters for retail clients, and also has expertise in competition, data protection, IP and real estate. In-line with market conditions, the firm continues to see an uptick in restructuring activity in the retail sector. It has also seen an increase in mandates pertaining to e-commerce and retail tech activities. Civil notary Teska van Vuren focuses on public and private transactions and corporate governance and Barbara Rumora-Scheltema handles corporate and commercial litigation; the duo head the team.
Teska van Vuren; Barbara Rumora-Scheltema
‘Excellent market knowledge and understanding of the client’s business.’
‘International network, much experience and real life cases to learn from.’
‘They quickly get to the heart of the issue’.
Cooperative Forever 21
- Assisting the Dutch Forever 21 companies in their orderly wind down, following the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of the US parent company.
- Assisted H&M with the establishment of its €2bn medium-term note programme under which the company may issue notes through its newly established Dutch issuer.
- Advised HAL on the sale of its 76.72% ownership interest in global optical retailer GrandVision N.V. to EssilorLuxottica at a price of approx. €5.5 bn.
Osborne Clarke advises large international blue-chip clients on commercial contracts, real estate, employment and contentious matters. It also handles TMT-related issues for retail clients, including complex marketing, advertising, data management, outsourcing and e-commerce issues. Practice head Jeroen Bedaux is adept at handling commercial and financial litigation. Senior associate Paul Brouwer jointly heads the team and is experienced in domestic and international commercial disputes. Steven Verschuur was a new arrival from HVG Law LLP.
Jeroen Bedaux; Paul Brouwer
Other key lawyers:
Bas Beenen; Berend Zwart; Steven Verschuur
- Representation of HEMA in multiple commercial litigation matters and advising HEMA on multiple commercial and data privacy matters.
- Represented GoPro, the US technology company behind the world-famous action cameras, mobile apps and video-editing software, in day-to-day employment matters in the Netherlands and in commercial contentious matters.
- Advising Subway on a global restructuring.
Bird & Bird handles a broad range of matters in the retail sector, including IP, corporate, commercial, real estate, competition and disputes. Given its deep experience in technology, the firm is well positioned to handle digital transformations, digital sales and omni-channel matters. The team acts for clients from the luxury, fashion, food and beverage, and hotels and leisure sectors. Manon Rieger-Jansen heads the practice.
Treasury Wine Estates
- Representing Calvin Klein against alleged copyright and trade mark infringement claims from Diesel pertaining to its Diesel Ribbon Device.
- Supporting KFC in a wide variety of commercial matters.
- Advising Reef Technology on so-called dark kitchens, a relatively new phenomenon that has come up with the growth of food delivery.
CMS provides integrated multi-jurisdictional advice through its global network. Areas of focus include corporate, commercial and IP matters. The team is a popular choice for retail organisations, suppliers, bankers, investors and regulators. Mark Ziekman is experienced in company law and cross-border M&A. Aukje Haan is a key name for work in the consumer products space, which includes handling related litigation.
Aukje Haan; Mark Ziekman
Other key lawyers:
Arnout Scholten; Rogier de Vrey
‘Good legal and up-to-date knowledge’.
‘They know the franchising practice very well’.
La Bouteille d’Or
Coca Cola European Partners
Columbia Sportswear Company
Praxis Doe Het Zelf Center
- Assisted Intratuin in a number of cases related to intellectual property law, especially copyright and patent law.
- Adviced Broekhuis on the acquisition of Heron from Stern.
- Assisted adidas in a dispute against the famous Barcelona midfielder Rafinha.
The retail focus group at DLA Piper is part of the wider consumer goods, food and retail sector group, and is able to provide a cross-disciplinary service. Recently promoted partner Khaled Dadi, who focuses on digital transformation and commercial contracts, jointly heads the team with IP specialist Niels Mulder.
Khaled Dadi; Niels Mulder
Nike / Converse
Hugo Boss AG
Ralph Lauren Corporation
Conair (Babyliss) Corporation
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
- Acting as Inter IKEA’s preferred global supplier for franchise-related matters, which form the core of Inter IKEA’s go-to-market (retail) strategy.
- Advised HEMA works council on the proposed restructuring of its debt structure and an anticipated change in shareholding via a UK scheme of arrangement.
- Representing Converse and Nike in a number of important trade mark disputes in the Netherlands and across Europe against organisations involved in importation and trade in Europe of large amounts of Converse and Nike counterfeit products.
Leeway focuses on IP matters in the retail and consumer goods sector, acting for domestic and international clients. The team also handles matters relating to advertising and marketing, commercial contracts and franchising. Marga Verwoert, Michiel Odink and Remco van Leeuwen head the practice. Odink is a key name for contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including trade mark matters, and copyright and design rights.
Marga Verwoert; Michiel Odink; Remco van Leeuwen
‘Leeway has a strong reputation for fashion and retail’.
‘Leeway is distinctive because of the high service level and ability to take into account the commercial aspects of matters’.
‘The lawyers are energetic and focused on establishing long-term relationships with clients rather than one-off case based contacts’.
‘Marga Verwoert is highly knowledgeable but also commercially minded’.
‘Michiel Odink knows the market very well, his broad scope covering IP, IT, privacy and litigation supports our business when we need it’.
‘Practical approach and good value, and advice for money’.
‘Michiel Odink is a perfect sparring partner for all retail-related issues, and is very practical in his approach and advice’.
‘Michiel Odink is able to win a case while still maintaining a good business relationship with the opposing party’.
Stox Energy Socks
AimiaHoldings UK Ltd (airmiles)
American Icon B.V.
Bi-Wear Clothing Company B.V.
Colourful Rebel B.V.
Denham The Jeanmaker B.V.
Electronic Arts, Inc. (EA)
FieldTurf USA, Inc.
Hudson’s Bay Company
Karl Lagerfeld Group
Knits Only B.V.
Maui Jim, Inc.
McGregor IP B.V.
Minus Four Studio’s
NorthernLight Design B.V.
Pentland Brands Limited
Royal Boch BVBA
Scotch & Soda B.V.
Takko Holding GmbH
Tronios Group International B.V.
United Soft Drinks B.V.
Urban Outfitters (URBN Netherlands B.V.)
VF Corporation (The North Face)
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
WE Brands B.V. / O
- Advising international retailer Action in a great variety of commercial retail and IP matters.
- Representing Dutch leading retailer HEMA B.V. in a variety of retail and IP matters, both contentious and non-contentious.
- Acting as Karl Lagerfeld Group’s trusted advisers in the Netherlands, handling the full range of IP, as well as licensing and franchise agreements, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting, and other commercial work.
Russell Advocaten B.V. advises a number of large international brands on corporate, real estate, employment and day-to-day matters. As a member of Primerus, a global network of independent law firms, it is well placed to handle international mandates. The team is headed by Reinier W.L. Russell and Jan Dop.
Reinier W.L. Russell; Jan Dop