Allen & Overy LLP leverages its global network for support on large cross-border energy matters and is active in the areas of power and utilities, transmission and distribution, carbon capture and storage, oil and gas, and climate transition. The team is jointly led by Marinus Winters and Jochem Spaans, who re-joined from NautaDutilh in February 2021. Winters is recommended for electricity-and-gas-related competition matters and regulatory law; Spaans -in turn- handles environmental and public law, with a focus on climate change and energy projects.
Energy: regulatory in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Jochem Spaans; Marinus Winters
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong analysis capabilities combined with sensitivity for political and societal discussions.‘
‘Easy and flexible communication.‘
‘Good ear for customers’ wishes.‘
‘Close collaboration between the partners, who were very pleasant to work with.‘
‘They communicated among themselves and also with us, as a client, very well.‘
Green Investment Group
- Representing Uniper Benelux in a procedure against the Dutch State, in which the client claims that the Coal Phase Out Act is in breach of Article 1 of Protocol 1 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
- Assisting Vattenfall on a consumer protection-related investigation by Dutch Energy Regulator ACM in relation to practices such as door-to-door sales and telesales.
- Representing automotive-industry joint venture, Ionity, on permitting issues related to it development of a network of high-power charging stations.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek acts as lead counsel in transactions, litigation and regulatory matters in the traditional and renewable energy markets. It has particular knowledge of the oil and gas, nuclear, wind, hydrogen and solar sectors. Finance specialist Menno Stoffer co-heads the team alongside Nicolien Van Den Biggelaar, an experienced administrative and civil law litigator who is well versed in negotiations with authorities and public bodies. Counsel Arjan Kleinhout is recommended for energy and environment, state aid and public enforcement issues.
Nicolien van den Biggelaar; Menno Stoffer
Other key lawyers:
Arjan Kleinhout; Martje Verhoeven-de Vries Lentsch; Claire van der Hoeven
‘The flexibility of the team is exceptionally high.‘
‘Able to give detailed analyses as well as practical advice.‘
‘The billing that goes with it matches the desired support.‘
‘Arjan Kleinhout is our key contact, and stands out in terms of speed, accessibility and clarity of his reasoning, both in writing and orally.‘
Port of Rotterdam Porthos (a consortium of EBN, Gasunue and Port of Rotterdam)
Royal Dutch Shell
Ørsted Wind Power
Impax Asset Management
Drentse Monden wind farm
Delfzijl wind farm
NAM (a Shell and ExxonMobil joint venture)
The Kingdom of the Netherlands
Stichting voorbereiding PALLAS-reactor
NEA/Gemeenschappelijke Kernenergiecentrale Nederland (GKN)
Varo Energy Netherlands
- Advising Gasunie on the H2 Backbone; and Gasunie / Port of Rotterdam on the HyTransPort.RTM – both novel and unique hydrogen projects related to energy transition.
- Advising a consortium comprising Port of Rotterdam, Gasunie and EBN on both the public law and planning/environmental aspects of the Porthos CCS project.
- Acting as lead counsel to TenneT on various multibillion-dollar energy developments in Europe, involving regulatory, planning and environmental matters, as well as financing issues and extensive litigation.
The energy and infrastructure team at Loyens & Loeff draws on the strengths of its corporate, project finance and tax practitioners to provide a holistic service regarding energy regulatory matters. The team advises clients on power, gas, heat and mining regulations as well as handling competition matters and disputes. Jan-Willem van Rooij heads the practice alongside Roland de Vlam, who has considerable experience in the offshore-wind and solar segments. Max Oosterhuis, who has moved into an of counsel role at the firm, is recommended for EU and national energy law.
Jan-Willem van Rooij; Roland de Vlam
Other key lawyers:
HyGear Technology and Services
Astronergy / Chint
- Advising GOPACS (a joint venture of the largest public grid operators -DSOs- and the TSO) on regulatory questions related to the operation of a redispatch platform for power-generating market parties to resolve transport-capacity congestion issues using market-based techniques.
- Representing Netbeheer Nederland and other distribution system operators in administrative law proceedings against energy regulator ACM regarding its pending decision on the socialisation of the costs of the removal of obsolete household gas connections.
- Assisted Stedin Netbeheer in legal proceedings against a large industrial power user regarding the location and voltage level of its connection to the distribution system.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is ‘one of the best firms with broad knowledge of the European and Dutch energy markets’. Well-known for its representation of the Dutch State and local municipalities, the practice also acts for large private companies, including energy producers, suppliers and traders. Practice head Iman Brinkman specialises in energy legislation, energy contracts and energy projects. Edward Brans is recommended for climate change and energy transition issues and often handles contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
Edward Brans; Lianne Barnhoorn
‘Pels Rijcken’s energy team is made up of specialists working in various sections of the office (e.g. real estate, spatial planning, competition law).‘
‘All have earned their spurs within this specific area of expertise, and all are considered to be key opinion leaders in this area.‘
‘The team is able to advise you promptly on the most complex energy law issues.‘
‘The team is characterised by its very accessible “no-nonsense” attitude.‘
‘No academic drivel, no claptrap, but sound advice that you can put into practice immediately.‘
‘Just like other major law firms, the energy team is up to date with the latest legislation and jurisprudence.‘
‘Iman Brinkman, as team leader, is better equipped than anyone to understand the broad legal scope of the energy field.‘
‘Iman Brinkman has a steady reputation as an excellent lawyer in the energy sector, he is a reliable peer and a pleasant person to work with.‘
ACM (Dutch energy regulator)
Chemours Essent / innogy
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
Ministry of Finance
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Rotterdam
Province of Zuid-Holland
Royal Dutch Shell
Province of Gelderland
Province of Noord-Brabant
Municipality of Haarlem
- Advising and representing Dutch transmission system operator, TenneT, in civil proceedings in which semiconductor manufacturer NXP seeks to claim back amounts paid in relation to connection and transportation services rendered by the client over the past 12 years.
- Representing gas and electricity supply company Essent (an Innogy subsidiary), in regulatory litigation against acoustic insulation materials manufacturer, Pull.
- Representing Dutch TSO TenneT in regulatory and administrative litigation against paper production company Crown Van Gelder, inter alia before the European Court of Justice.
Stek offers ‘extensive knowledge of energy law and the energy market’ and is particularly active in the electricity and gas distribution sector. The team, which includes key practitioners Jan Erik Janssen, Reijnoud Homveld and Herman Wamelink, acts for energy distribution companies and large international energy players; Janssen, in particular, is recommended for administrative and civil litigation before competition authorities and has experience interacting with policy makers. The practice was further strengthened with Claudia Beele's promotion to partner in January 2021 and the arrival of Coen Thomas from Allen & Overy LLP the following month.
Jan Erik Janssen; Reijnoud Homveld; Herman Wamelink; Jeroen Timmermans; Sharon Kaufmann; Coen Thomas; Claudia Beele; Sharon Kaufmann; Veii Jacobs
‘Stek Advocaten has a great team.‘
‘They respond quickly and expertly to questions and developments.‘
‘Prompt reactions and useful and practical advice.‘
‘They pay full attention to the customer and the specific case.‘
‘The team has done its utmost to gain sufficient knowledge and insight into our company.‘
‘Veii Jacobs has an extremely broad orientation and was able to assess our questions effectively.‘
‘Veii Jacobs is able to articulate things correctly in the legal sense.‘
Utility Support Group (USG)
- Representation of Netbeheer Nederland in shaping the new tariff regime for 2022-2026.
- Successful representation of Liander in shaping the congestion management regime.
- Representation of PZEM in a first-of-its-kind Remit sanctioning procedure.
AKD fields ‘an excellent team with great hands-on knowledge’ which covers the full life-cycle of energy projects, including regulatory, contracting, M&A and project finance issues. The practice focuses on regulatory and public law and demonstrates particular experience in solar and wind projects, and also district heating grids. Acting for energy companies, developers, investors and governments, practice head Marjolein Dieperink is recommended for subsidy grants, permits, state aid and tendering matters.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Kromhout; Julian Versmissen; Lennart Crain
‘Good diversity and collaboration.’
‘Marjolein Dieperink is very proactive in her work and often informs her clients about relevant developments in the market.‘
‘The main strengths of the firm are the deep knowledge of the applicable law and international contract models.’
‘Deep regulatory insights and very collaborative service-oriented people.’
‘Enthusiastic and energetic mentality.‘
‘Listening very carefully to understand the context first and what is needed instead of the other way around.’
‘Knowledgeable people that always think in solutions and are easy to get in touch with.‘
‘Excellent team with great hands-on knowledge.‘
Solarcentury / Statkraft
Edge Technologies (former OVG)
- Assisting Coöperatie Univé with negotiations with contractors in relation to a solar PV installation.
- Counsel to Eneco with respect to its concession, granted by Rotterdam, to develop and operate a heating network for the city.
- Advising Tweede Kamer (Enquetecommissie gaswinning Groningen) in relation to a Dutch Parliamentary inquiry into natural gas extraction.
Houthoff’s full-service energy and utilities practice has notable experience in transactions, projects, commercial contracting, litigation and regulatory matters. It acts for a range of energy clients, including energy companies and their shareholders, suppliers, producers, investors, banks and government bodies. Kirsten Berger leads the team and is recommended for commercial contracting, including power purchase agreements (PPAs) and heat supply agreements. Marc Van Beuge is recommended for dispute resolution and projects work in the traditional and renewables sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Marc van Beuge
‘Deep sector knowledge combined with a very good sense for commercial solutions.‘
‘I would like to mention in particular Kirsten Berger and Marc van Beuge – both are truly outstanding experts in this area.‘
‘Both Marc van Beuge nd Kirsten Berger have displayed a deep knowledge of the energy markets and have been a tremendous asset in supporting us.‘
‘Marc and Kirsten were always there when needed, offering valuable advice, being the sparring partner I and my team needed during the journey from start to finish.’
Porthos (EBN, Gasunie, Port of Rotterdam)
NOGEPA, VEN, VGN, VLNG
- Acing as project counsel to Porthos (an EBN, Gasunie and Port of Rotterdam joint venture), which aims to construct and operate the first large-scale, commercial, open access offshore carbon capture and storage facility in the Netherlands, using depleted gas fields on the Dutch continental shelf.
- Acting for the energy industry producers and suppliers association, Energy Netherlands (VEN); the Netherlands Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Association (NOGEPA); the Netherlands Gas Storage Association (VGN) and the Netherlands LNG Shippers Association (VLNG); in appeal proceedings before the Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal against regulator ACM’s so-called ‘GTS Method Decision 2022-2026’ – which forms the basis for the (gas transmission) tariff regulation of the Dutch gas transport system, GTS.
- Co-counsel (jointly with Arthur Cox) to Corre Energy on the development of a first-of-its-kind, large-scale electricity storage facility to be located in salt caverns in Zuidwending, and involving the use of advanced compressed air energy storage (CAES) technology.
The energy and industry department at Stibbe handles both transactional and regulatory matters. Well-known for its experience in M&A, the practice also handles projects work, contracts, financing and disputes. On the regulatory side, the practice is known for its expertise in licensing, subsidies, electricity and gas sector regulation, CO₂ taxes, climate change policy and emissions allowances. Martin In de Braekt heads the practice and counts sponsors, developers, contractors and lenders among his clients.
Martin In de Braekt
Other key lawyers:
Anna Collignon; Li Wee Toh; Valérie van‘t Lam
‘Martin In de Braekt is very approachable and has a deep knowledge of how thinks work in the Dutch energy market.‘
‘Trusted advisor, very responsive.‘
‘Very connected to developments in the Dutch energy market.‘
‘Particularly knowledgeable regarding trends in the renewable energy sector in the Netherlands and related government policy developments.‘
‘Martin In de Braekt is an excellent lawyer and trusted advisor on energy regulatory matters and related transactions.‘
Eurus Energy Europe
GE Renewable Energy
W2C (Waste-to-Chemistry – a consortium of Air Liquide, Nouryon, Enerkem, Port of Rotterdam, Shell)
- Advising Air Liquide in respect of the Porthos project.
- Advising Tulip Oil Holding on the sale of Tulip Oil Netherlands to Kistos for €220m plus €163m of contingent payments.
- Advising both AG Real Estate/Heylen Warehouses and Belfius Bank on a €16.3m real estate project financing provided by Belfius to a joint venture company of AG Heylen in relation to the development of multiple solar panel projects by AG Heylen in the Netherlands.
The ‘very professional and fast’ Van der Feltz Advocaten is a boutique firm based in The Hague. It has particular regulatory expertise in planning, tariff regulation, CO₂ emissions, subsidies, enforcement and environmental issues. Michelle de Rijke co-heads the team and specialises in energy transition work; she has considerable experience in renewable energy initiatives and electric-transportation infrastructure. Her fellow practice co-head Jacques Sluysmans handles civil, administrative and economic criminal law and is particularly experienced in the water industry.
Jacques Sluysmans; Michelle de Rijke
‘Michelle de Rijke is an excellent energy lawyer with good knowledge of all aspects of the markets we are operating in’.
‘I see Van der Feltz as (one of) the leading firms when it comes to knowledge about regulations on the energy market.‘
‘Their in depth knowledge on both the current and upcoming legislation enabled us to create a truly future-proof solution for our project.‘
‘Michelle de Rijke is a leading expert in the field of energy regulation.‘
‘Michelle de Rijke has shown a deep and thorough understanding of state-of-the-art and upcoming regulations including the dilemma’s being faced politically.‘
‘Michelle de Rijke is very accessible and always open to new ways of looking at a problem.‘
‘Jacques Sluysman’s advice is prompt, very clear and of high quality.‘
‘In addition to their legal expertise, the team is well informed about relevant developments in the energy sector, which allows it to fully understand the client’s issues and questions.’
Vereniging van Waterbedrijven in Nederland (Vewin – the Association of Dutch Water companies)
Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij
ENGIE Nederland Retail
Municipality of Pijnacker-Nootdorp
Rendant Parknet Beheer
Vermilion Energy Netherlands
Neptune Energy Netherlands
Nogepa Nederlandse Olie en Gas Exploratie en Productie Associatie
BAM Bouw en Vastgoed Nederland (BAM Energy Systems)
- Advising Dutch grid-operators organisation, Netbeheer Nederland, on securing its position under the upcoming Act for collective heating supply.
- Successful representation of NAM in litigation before the Administrative Jurisdiction Division of the Council of State regarding plans for the extraction of gas under the Wadden Sea.
- Advising longstanding client Neptune Energy in relation to the PosHYdon hydrogen project.
Biesheuvel Jansen advocaten advises on both transactional and regulatory matters for energy projects and has experience in onshore and offshore wind parks, solar parks, hydrogen, biomass and biogas plants. Rutger Jansen heads the team and counts Engie, Patronale Solar and BayWa r.e. among his clients. Inge Timmerman is recommended for project finance work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Nice people to work with and commercially savvy.‘
‘All partners of BJTK are very client focussed, hands on and great lawyers to work with.‘
‘They are hands-on lawyers with nearly unprecedented experience in the energy sector.‘
‘They really know what is going on in the energy sector.‘
‘Inge Timmerman is an extremely diligent, precise and responsive lawyer.‘
‘Inge Timmerman never misses a detail and will probably never do so.‘
‘Rutger Jansen is very commercial, with a real can-do attitude.‘
‘Rutger Jansen has great knowledge of the energy markets and commercial business.‘
Pacifico Energy Partners
Bio Energy Netherlands
- Advising Windpark Koningspleij on the development, financing and construction of a 13MW wind park in the Netherlands, including in relation to turbine supply, the grid connection of the wind park and neighbouring agreements with other local developers.
- Advising Prowind on various development and regulatory matters with regard to its wind development projects – including in relation to land lease agreements, neighbouring agreements with property owners and anterior agreements with local authorities.
- Advising Pacifico Energy Partners on various solar development projects and all associated contractual and regulatory aspects, including with regard to grid connection, supply of electricity to customers, permits, civil works, and the EPC and O&M agreements.
CMS has ‘deep knowledge and experience of the industry’, and under the leadership of Cecilia van der Weijden, continues to advise on high-value energy projects both at home and abroad. It has considerable experience in transactions, disputes, commercial contracts and energy trading. Servicing both the traditional and renewable sectors of the market, the practice has recently been involved in several on- and offshore wind projects as well as a number of solar PV projects.
Cecilia van der Weijden
Other key lawyers:
‘Going beyond the industry standards in setting up contracts.‘
‘Accurate, creative and conceptual thinkers.‘
‘CMS supports our company with our European expansion, because they are present in many European countries and provide with both general as well as local legal support.‘
‘The team of Cecilia van der Weijden provides good quality and timely legal advice on most commercial and regulatory issues that we encounter.‘
‘Cecilia van der Weijden has an understanding of our company’s wishes and knows which colleagues to match for specific expertise if needed.‘
‘At CMS you can be confident that you will receive high-quality work and expert service, at a fair price.‘
‘The energy team of CMS has successfully supported my company on complex matters related to our highly specialised carbon capture utilisation and storage business on a number of occasions.‘
‘I appreciate Cecilia van der Weijden’s deep knowledge and experience of the energy industry, and her practical and commercial approach that fits the needs of our business.‘
AEB (Afval Energie Bedrijf Amsterdam)
Duurzame Ontwikkelingsmaatschappij Holland
Green Investment Group
In Monte Investments
- Advised AEB on the regulatory matters related to the sale of a 50% interest in heat-supply company Westpoort Warmte to the municipality of Amsterdam.
- Advised Microsoft on a variety of regulatory developments in the Netherlands that are relevant for its Dutch business.
- Advising global industrial-gases and engineering company, Linde Gas, on the application of CO2 allocations.
Dentons' energy team draws on strengths from its corporate, finance, projects, environmental, regulatory and tax practitioners to advise on a range of traditional and renewable energy projects. It has particular experience in the wind, solar, biomass and waste-to-energy sectors. Practice head Jan Jakob Peelen is particularly known for his experience in permitting matters.
Jan Jakob Peelen
Other key lawyers:
Dieuwke Kis; David Shearer
‘Jan Jakob Peelen has experience in dealing with complex regulatory litigation.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen’s availability and responsiveness is impressive.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen is an all-round nice guy, relaxed in his contact and very easy to communicate with but super analytical and sharp in his legal work.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen’s understanding of Dutch regulatory legislation and case law is simply superb.‘
‘The team has excellent knowledge regarding regulatory affairs.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen is intelligent and very knowledgeable.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen is easy to talk to and helps us understand the regulatory issues that come into play within our different dossiers.‘
‘Jan Jakob Peelen has found a way to speak in a language that is not riddled with law terminology so that it is easy for us as a client to better understand the issues at hand’.
Triodos Investment Management
- Advising Shell on the planning and environmental aspects of its participation in a large geothermal development in the Netherlands.
- Representing Gate terminal, an LNG terminal in Rotterdam, in litigation that seeks to prevent the terminal operating on the basis of its nature protection permit.
- Ongoing defence of RWE in regulatory enforcement procedures and court litigation initiated by non-governmental organisations, in relation to its current process of converting a Dutch coal-fired power plant, Amer, into a biomass plant.
Eversheds Sutherland (Netherlands) B.V.’s energy offering was significantly bolstered in early 2021 with the arrivals of Max van Drunen (real estate/renewables) and Wieger ten Hove (M&A and corporate governance) from DLA Piper and Simmons & Simmons, respectively. Best known for its corporate and transactional work, the practice also provides regulatory advice regarding on- and offshore wind, solar, biomass and biogas plants and batter storage projects. The team is co-led by Miriam van Ee and Michel Chatelin.
Miriam van Ee; Michel Chatelin
Other key lawyers:
Natascha Geraedts; Max van Drunen; Wieger ten Hove
United Momentum, Clean Electricity Generation
- Advising NBIM on its €1.378bn acquisition of a 50% interest in the Borssele 1 & 2 offshore wind farm in the Netherlands, the company’s first investment in renewable energy infrastructure.
- Advising Vloeivelden Hollandia (a project company of of Solarfields Projecten and Green Invest) on the Vloeivelden Hollandia solar park project.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is recommended for domestic and cross-border energy projects and handles transactional and regulatory matters for large international energy clients. Winfred Knibbeler heads the regulatory side of the energy practice and acts for leading energy suppliers, and public electricity and gas network operators, on M&A-related regulatory matters and investments. Counsel Alvaro Pliego Selie is recommended for competition matters.
Other key lawyers:
Alvaro Pliego Selie
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
Essent (now part of E.On)
- Ongoing advice to Essent on all of its strategic energy regulatory matters in the Netherlands.
- Successfully represented Essent in a confidential market-wide investigation by Dutch energy regulatory ACM into B2C sales practices.
- Ongoing advice to Enexis on all of its strategic energy regulatory matters in the Netherlands.
HVG Law LLP is aligned with EY Tax in the Netherlands and also participates in the global EY Law network. The firm’s energy practice handles transactional work, regulatory matters and disputes; it is led by Sander Simonetti who has considerable knowledge of the Dutch regulatory environment and focuses on energy infrastructure and trading, renewables and sustainable energy projects.
‘Adaptive to customer needs and culture.‘
‘Proactive in thinking how to help the project outside of the box.‘
‘Highest professional standards visible in deliverables.‘
Broadview Energy Solutions
Netherlands Climate Fund
Essent (part of E.ON)
NV Juva / Westland Infra
KIC EIT InnoEnergy
Netbeheer Nederland (the Dutch Energy Grid Operators association)
De Jong Packaging Group
The Dutch Solar
Groenleven / BayWay
WBL Limburg Water
Universal Energy Solutions
- Advised Deddens Renewables on the project development of a complex 120MW combined wind-solar park and its subsequent sale to Royal Dutch Shell.
- Advised Broadview Energy Solutions on its acquisition of international biogas company DMT.
- Advised the Netherlands Climate Fund on its acquisition of the Riessen solar park.
Norton Rose Fulbright draws on strength from its infrastructure, tax, environment, safety and planning and litigation practitioners to offer a broad service in relation to energy projects. The team is led by banking partner Wouter Hertzberger, who is recommended for structured finance transactions. Matthijs Van Leeuwen is experienced in national and international energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
Matthijs van Leeuwen
Sete Brasil Participacoes
World Fuel Services
Energy Storage Netherlands
Green investment fund
Van Doorne offers ‘a very energetic and pro-active team with great communication skills’. The practice was bolstered back in October 2020 by the arrival of Léone Klapwijk from Loyens & Loeff; she now co-leads the team alongside corporate and transactional specialist Hugo Reumkens and the disputes-focused Rogier Schellaars. Acting for network operators, supply and production companies, and public authorities, the practice provides regulatory expertise primarily in relation to mining, natural resources, renewables and energy supply.
‘Hands-on, accurate and fast with their reactions.‘
‘Léone Klapwijk is a highly energetic lawyer with great communication skills.‘
‘Léone Klapwijk is on top of the regulatory developments and thinks along with the client’s needs.‘
‘Van Doorne is one of the few firms in the Netherlands with a dedicated team for the energy sector.‘
‘The team is made up of specialists from different disciplines, with in-depth knowledge and experience of the industry.‘
‘At Van Doorne you simply know that you will receive high-quality work and value for your money.‘
‘Van Doorne invests a lot in transferring knowledge to its clients.‘
‘I appreciate Léone Klapwijk’s in-depth knowledge and experience of the energy industry.‘
Heerema Marine Contractors Nederland
Energie Coöperatie KetelhuisWG
Albert Schweitzer Ziekenhuis
- Advised the supervisory board of Stedin Group on governance matters in support of discussions with the shareholders’ committee regarding an equity contribution of €200m and associated changes to Stedin’s governance in order to strengthen the equity capital of the network company in the face of required investments in the energy transition.
- Advised Albert Schweitzer Ziekenhuis on the sale and (partial) lease back of four office/hospital buildings (410,000 sq. ft), including drafting and negotiating a technical unbundling agreement to address the requirement to separate the technical interconnection between the four buildings being sold and the hospital buildings.
- Advising Energie Coöperatie KetelhuisWG, a cooperative association in Amsterdam, in relation to the energy transition from the heating of homes by natural gas to sustainable heat sources.