Allen & Overy LLP fields ‘a strong team with commitment to the client' which offers 'very practical commercial advice’. It often acts as lead counsel in domestic and international arbitrations and related litigation, and is particularly active in the energy, projects and construction sectors. Marieke Van Hooijdonk heads the practice and is well versed in corporate and commercial disputes, while Hilde Van Der Baan is recommended for contractual liability and M&A-related disputes. Counsel Marnix De Planque is experienced in joint venture, trade, pricing and insurance disputes.
Dispute resolution: arbitration in Netherlands
Allen & Overy LLP
Marieke van Hooijdonk
Other key lawyers:
Hilde van der Baan; Marnix de Planque
‘Marieke van Hooijdonk has excellent experience and knowledge of ICC arbitration’.
‘Marieke van Hooijdonk leads the team with high quality support from partner Hilde van der Baan; their commitment to the client’s cause is impressive, as is their ability to compete with larger legal teams’.
‘Allen & Overy have a great team that do high-stakes cases’.
‘Hilde van der Baan stands out; she is a great advocate and excellent at hearings’.
‘Hilde van der Baan sits as an arbitrator, including as a chair, and does that work in an impressive way’.
‘Very good team that combines a strong position in the Dutch market with the international flavour and connections of A&O’.
‘Marieke van Hooijdonk is the grand lady of the Dutch arbitration scene’.
‘Marieke van Hooijdonk is sharp, intelligent and committed to obtain the best results for her clients’.
- Representing Attero in the Court of Appeal in The Hague against several municipalities in the Netherlands. The case concerns the annulment of an arbitral award under the NAI Rules, in which the municipalities were ordered to pay a several million EUR relating to waste management services provided by Attero in 2015-2017.
De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek‘s arbitration team is ‘outstanding and probably the best in the Netherlands’, and ‘consists of lawyers with various backgrounds, delivering an outstanding quality of work’. Its practice is truly international and handles high-profile and high-value arbitrations for large multinational businesses. Edward Van Geuns heads the disputes group and is a founding board member of the Dutch Arbitration Association and a member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR. Martje Verhoeven-De Vries Lentsch is recommended for commercial arbitration and has considerable experience in the energy and technology sectors. Managing partner Marnix Leijten is also recommended.
Edward van Geuns
Other key lawyers:
Martje Verhoeven-de Vries Lentsch; Marnix Leijten; Bommel van der Bend
‘In-depth knowledge of the energy sector and outstanding legal expertise’.
‘Martje Verhoeven-de Vries Lentsch has excellent legal knowledge, grasps the essence of the case very quickly and presents her assessment and advice in a concise and easy to digest way’.
‘Bommel van der Bend always keeps track of the priorities and the big picture and at the same digs into the details of the case’.
‘De Brauw’s team is efficient, multilingual and innovative’.
‘Having all kinds of legal and cultural backgrounds present in the team, we feel that we are really catered for in the best way to deal with an international dispute’.
‘The team has an open attitude, works in an integrated way with the client and is very pleasant in the communication’.
‘They performed extremely well although deadlines were short and were very responsible when the company needed it most’.
‘Edward van Geuns was highly dedicated, extremely diligent, consistent and conscientious in his approach from the start to the finish’.
Yukos Oil majority shareholders
Just Eat Takeaway N.V.
The Kingdom of the Netherlands
Republic of Kazakhstan
PJSC Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK)
Nouryon Industrial Chemicals B.V. (formerly named Akzo Nobel Industrial Chemicals B.V.)
Royal Duyvis Wiener B.V.
- Successfully advised and continuing to advise the Yukos Oil majority shareholders in their dispute with the Russian Federation.
- Successfully advised and continuing to advise Nouryon Industrial Chemicals B.V. in its high-stakes M&A dispute under Spanish law with Iberpotash S.A.
- Advising Sabah Shell Petroleum Company Ltd. in a high-stakes arbitration about the construction of a large offshore oil-platform.
Houthoff’s arbitration practice is described as ‘highly specialised, well embedded in the Dutch arbitration community, and also very nice to work with’. Its caseload includes a steady stream of high-profile international work and it often co-counsels with large well-respected international firms. The team is led by Albert Knigge, Dirk Knottenbelt and Bart van der Wiel . Knottenbelt focuses on corporate and commercial arbitration and Thomas Stouten is recommended for complex cross-border disputes relating to transactions. David Heems was recently promoted to partner, while long-serving partner Marielle Koppenol-Laforce retired in mid-2021.
Albert Knigge; Dirk Knottenbelt; Bart van der Wiel
Other key lawyers:
Rob Meijer; Thomas Stouten; David Heems
‘Thomas Stouten is smart, collegiate and very pleasant to work with’.
‘Thomas Stouten has a good grasp both of the legal aspects and the commercial aspects underlying a case’.
‘Really friendly team, very responsive and great experience’.
‘Dirk Knottenbelt is a very experienced lawyer, very smart and with a great presence’.
‘Dirk Knottenbelt is a very nice and easy to work with’.
‘The team is very experienced in arbitration, especially with Dutch focus’.
‘The firm has a very convenient client-friendly billing system’.
‘The team is exceptionally efficient in co-counsel work’.
Huntington Ingalls Industries
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS)
Fiat Chrysler Automobile
Cargolux Airlines International S.A.
Volvo Trucks / Renault Trucks
Republic of India
- Representing Petrobras in multiple actions in the Netherlands in the defence against the enforcement of an arbitral award, rendered in the United States under the AAA Rules.
- Representing Eni in the defence against an application by GasTerra for the annulment of an arbitral award on gas price reviews.
Linklaters offers ‘in-depth knowledge of arbitration law and creative solutions’ and a team which is ‘pleasant to work with’. Leaning on its substantial global network for support, the practice is well placed to handle high-profile international cases. Gerard Meijer heads the team and has considerable experience in advising domestic and international corporations and governmental bodies on high-value disputes; he often works alongside elite international arbitration teams from other international law firms. Bo Ra Hoebeke, who was recently promoted to counsel, has significant experience of complex litigation and arbitration, and in particular, high-profile setting-aside proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Bo Ra Hoebeke; Daniella Strik
‘Excellent analysis in short period of time and good depth in the team’.
‘Gerard Meijer provides excellent analysis and clear advice’.
‘Gerard Meijer is one of the leading practitioners in the Netherlands in international arbitration and Dutch set aside proceedings’.
‘Clearly an extremely knowledgeable and experienced team’.
‘Gerard Meijer heads the arbitration practice and is rightly regarded as a leader in this field’.
‘Linklaters is one of the few top players in the arbitration practice in the Netherlands’.
‘I would highly recommend Gerard Meijer – he is one of the best arbitration lawyers in the Netherlands’.
‘Bo Ra Hoebeke is an upcoming and hard working counsel’.
Chevron Corporation and Texaco Petroleum Company.
Steinhoff International Holdings N.V.
Sina Hong Kong Limited
Cc/Devas (Mauritius) Ltd., Devas Employees Mauritius Private Limited and Telcom Devas Mauritius Limited
Merck Sharp & Dohme (IA) LLC
South Stream Transport B.V.
- Representing Chevron Corporation and Texaco Petroleum Company in high-profile, multi-billion dollar setting aside proceedings.
- Representing Merck Sharp & Dohme (IA) LLC in setting aside proceeding in the Netherlands filed by the Republic of Ecuador with respect to arbitral awards issued against Ecuador in an investment arbitration in relation to a case that has gained major international attention.
- Successfully advised and represented Cc/Devas et al. in the high-profile setting aside proceedings in first instance and appeal (Cassation proceedings are pending) in relation to a billion-dollar UNCITRAL arbitration claim under the Mauritius-India BIT in2012, which resulted in a $111m award whose (international) enforcement is currently being resisted by India.
NautaDutilh handles both national and international arbitration cases, state court proceedings, and setting aside and enforcement proceedings. The practice has Supreme Court capability and is led by Kasper Krzeminski and Mirjam Van de Hel-Koedoot. Van de Hel-Koedoot is experienced in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations, and disputes involving bilateral and multilateral investment treaties. Krzeminski is recommended for commercial and contractual disputes, court litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team I’ve worked with at NautaDutilh is thorough in their analysis of the client’s dispute and approaches the dispute holistically, ensuring that they cover all ground’.
‘Kasper Krzeminski is a dynamic and forward-looking advocate’.
‘Kasper Krzeminski is an extremely pleasant personality to have around, and easy to work with’.
‘Kasper Krzeminski is dedicated to his client’s needs and will go the extra mile to ensure that he knows his case, his opponents and the tribunal well’.
‘The NautaDutilh team is unusual in the Netherlands in that it really understands treaty arbitration and the legal issues it presents’.
‘Mirjam van de Hel – Koedoot has an exceptional ability to argue issues of treaty interpretation in a clear, straightforward manner that connects well with Dutch judges’.
‘Great team – hard working, engaged, user-friendly, quick on their feet and very approachable’.
‘Strong dispute skills in Holland and good knowledge of ship building disputes’.
PJSC Aeroport Belbek
BRODOGRAĐEVNA INDUSTRIJA SPLIT, dioničko društvo
Centrient Pharmaceuticals Netherlands B.V.
Everest Estate LLC
Flowserve Corporation/Flowserve B.V.
Fynerdale Holdings B.V.
García et al.
NJSC Naftogaz of Ukraine
Neste Engineering Solutions Oy
Royal Dutch Shell
Anatoli Stati; Gabriel Stati; Ascom Group S.A.; Terra Raf Trans Traiding Ltd.
Unión Fenosa Gas
- Representing HAL Optical Investments B.V. in ICC arbitration proceedings against EssilorLuxottica in relation to the EUR 5.5bn acquisition by EssilorLuxottica of HAL’s 76.72% stake in the Dutch-listed optical retailer GrandVision N.V.
- Representing four investors from Moldova and Gibraltar in a number of proceedings relating to the enforcement of a $543m arbitral award rendered against Kazakhstan.
The arbitration practice at Van Doorne is ‘fully international in work and knowledge, and also culturally sensitive’. The team is headed by Rogier Schellaars and Bas van Zelst; Schellaars is recommended for post-M&A disputes, joint venture and finance issues, and has previously acted for and against states; while van Zelst has considerable experience in investment arbitration.
‘They are true lawyers and very flexible and adaptive’.
‘The individuals stand out for being approachable and available 24/7 by phone or in person’.
‘The Van Doorne arbitration team is very skilled on content and in communication’.
‘The interplay between Rogier Schellaars and Bas van Zelst is especially good, they can finish each other’s sentences’.
‘Van Doorne’s arbitration practice has a strong focus on both national and international arbitration’.
‘Next to its role in the various arbitration matters pending in the Netherlands, the team fulfils an important role in the arbitration community in the Netherlands’.
‘Rogier Schellaars and Bas van Zelst both have a strong focus on arbitration and each of them fulfils a complementary role in the matters and projects they handle’.
‘Van Doorne is results-oriented, practical and has a strong understanding of the position of the client’.
Mohamed Abdel Raouf Bahgat
Royal Agrifirm Group
Heerema Marine Contractors
- Representing GeoSolutions B.V. operating through Dutch companies and Chinese / Hong Kong based partners, in a major (multi-billion) technology joint venture dispute concerning the Chinese version of Facebook (Weibo) and geolocation software connected thereto.
- Representing Mohamed Abdel Raouf Bahgat in set aside and enforcement actions in the Netherlands courts, opposite De Brauw who act for Egypt.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Jeroen Van Hezewijk heads up the arbitration offering at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer - he is praised for 'explaining technical issues a composed manner' and his 'in-depth knowledge'. The team handles a range of domestic and international arbitration cases and is also highly proficient in other alternative dispute resolution procedures. Van Hezewijk has noted expertise in setting aside cases and in many proceedings for the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Jeroen van Hezewijk
Other key lawyers:
Jan Willem van der Staay
‘Dispute resolution requires a very specific skill et in people and the team at Freshfields is very well equipped for this’.
‘The team’s strength is certainly strategising the whole approach and the detailed execution of the approach’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk’s overall strategy is outstanding, with in-depth knowledge of process’.
‘The team is not a straightforward legal team but a team which perfectly understands their client, their business and knows how to communicate’.
‘Their availability, swift follow up, expertise and strategic approach was appreciated’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk led the arbitration and demonstrated a high skill in getting acquainted with the underlying technical issues’.
‘Jeroen van Hezewijk’s ability to explain the technical issues in its contractual and legal context in a composed manner was very valuable’.
‘We have built a longstanding relationship with the practice’s team members and as a result communication lines are short’.
Infraspeed (Consortium BAM, Fluor and Siemens)
Manuel Garcia Armas et al.
- Represented Talpa Holding in a EUR 300m post-M&A dispute in the Netherlands.
- Represented Infraspeed, the consortium that holds a 25-year concession for the maintenance of the highspeed railway to Brussels and Paris, in a EUR 50m dispute with the State of the Netherlands over damages caused to the tracks.
- Represented the Garcia Armas family in proceedings before the Court of Appeal in The Hague, challenging an investment arbitration award denying the claimants access to arbitration in which they seek several hundred million dollars compensation.
The litigation and regulatory department at DLA Piper houses the firm’s arbitration offering and forms part of its expansion global dispute resolution practice. The team is well positioned to handle multi-jurisdictional mandates by virtue of its large international network. Practice head Marnix Holtzer has notable experience in corporate litigation; he is supported by Michiel Coenraads, who is recommended for international arbitration and ESG-related disputes, with a focus on the energy and natural resources sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘DLA Piper’s international arbitration team is really good’.
‘Smart, with business acumen, commercially minded, and technically really good’.
‘They handle big cases for bluechip clients’.
‘This is a really well integrated firm and they are able to handle disputes globally, wonderfully ran and coordinated by the Amsterdam team’.
‘Great sector knowledge’
‘Michiel Coenraads is smart, hands-on, and understands our business goals and speaks our language’.
‘They have a big and very talented team’.
‘Good culture and nice people’.
Aciturri Composites S.A.
Urban Green Technologies (Sun Africa)
Van den Heuvel Handel & Techniek B.V.
Loyens & Loeff has a strong Benelux presence, with offices in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and also in Switzerland; its arbitration team is integrated across these regions and is well versed in cross-border matters. Tom Claassens heads the team, which has considerable experience in commercial, investor-state, construction and corporate arbitration cases. Senior associate Melle Boevink advises foreign and domestic entities on in corporate and commercial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tom Claassens is an excellent practitioner’.
‘Tom Claassens is very likeable, professional and with a good eye for what will be appreciated by the courts’.
‘Loyens & Loeff has a small but consistent team of good arbitration lawyers’.
‘They achieve results in big cases’.
‘They have a solid client base and independent standing’.
‘Loyens & Loeff are attractive for American law firms who seek legal assistance in the Netherlands’.
‘Tom Claasens is experienced; and although originally and for a long time in his career a litigation lawyer, he has made a name for himself in arbitration in recent years’.
‘Melle Boevink is a promising young lawyer, and has been Tom’s right hand for many years’.
Yukos Oil – former majority shareholders
The Republic of India
- Representing the Republic of India in annulment proceedings of two arbitral awards before the Dutch courts whereby we seek to annul two UNCITRAL arbitral partial awards rendered in 2016 and 2020 in favour of an investor against the Republic of India in an investor dispute under a bilateral investment treaty.
As a well-established adviser to the State of the Netherlands, as well as many other municipalities and public authorities, Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is ‘well suited to identify the needs of government bodies and understand the political environment’. The practice is no stranger to large-scale arbitrations and advises on all stages, from interim measures to setting aside proceedings, and up to the Supreme Court. Mark Birnage heads the team and focuses on construction disputes, including those relating to large PPP projects.
Other key lawyers:
Martijn Scheltema; René Kiers
‘The team members are always open to the input of the client and other legal advisors’.
‘PelsRijcken is one of the best firms specific for government-market issues’.
”They have been very helpful in strategic advice’.
‘Pels Rijcken is well able to develop a suitable process strategy based on the content provided’.
‘The various arguments and the moments and the way in which they are brought to the table are carefully considered’.
State of the Netherlands
Provinces of North Holland, South Holland, Utrecht, North Brabant, Limburg, Gelderland, Zeeland.
Cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague
Other municipalities, government bodies and public authorities
Feadship Holland; Royal Van Lent; Royal De Vries Shipbuilding
ABN Amro Bank
- Representing the State of the Netherlands in multi-million arbitration proceedings on issues leading to delay in the execution of the €750m Zeetoegang IJmond sea lock PPP.
- Representing Municipality of the Hague in multiple complex alternative dispute resolution concerning a concert hall construction and redevelopment projects.
- Representing the Dutch Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations in a complex mega arbitration regarding the renovation and extension of the courthouse of the province Overijssel.
Baker McKenzie handles a range of both domestic and international arbitration for large multinationals. Frank Kroes heads the practice and is well versed in commercial and antitrust litigation; he has litigated in the Supreme Court and the European Courts of Justice. Robert van Agteren and Itse Oosterhoff are recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Robert van Agteren; Itse Oosterhoff
Responsive Learning Systems ApS
Royal VolkerWessels NV
Gemeentelijk Vervoerbedrijf Amsterdam
- Represented and advised Shell in relation to a sovereign immunity issue stemming from a dispute between Hydro Slr (based in Italy) and the government of Albania.
- Represent Italy-based company Tolo Green Slr in its joint venture dispute with its Chinese joint venture partner Shanghai Aerospace Automotive Electromechanical Co. Ltd. on a renewable energy project in Italy.
Clifford Chance’s Dutch arbitration offering is led by experienced counsel Juliette Luycks, who handles national and international commercial arbitration under the NAI, ICC, CAM and UNCITRAL rules. The 'very collegial' Luycks acts as both counsel and arbitrator; the team works closely with the magic circle firm's substantial international network to handle large-scale cross-border matters.
‘What is greatly appreciated is both the broad range of expertise in the team and the personal approach’.
‘The team is really standing next to you guiding you through both on a personal and business level’.
‘Clifford Chance is always communicative about any billable hours’.
‘We appreciated the various team members that worked on our case’.
‘The Dutch arbitration team of Clifford Chance is special as it is fully embedded in the firm’s international arbitration practice, handling international arbitration matters with a Dutch angle’.
‘Juliette Luycks is one of the few highly experienced arbitration practitioners in the Netherlands’
‘Juliette Luycks focuses both on arbitration proceedings and arbitration-related court litigation’.
‘Juliette Luycks is very collegial when acting on the other side’.
Legaltree‘s dispute resolution practice was bolstered in April 2020 by the arrival of Wouter de Clerck from DLA Piper. The partners-only boutique firm is also home to Sander Oorthuys and Max van Leyenhorst, and focuses on commercial litigation, international arbitration and related matters. Its client roster includes blue-chip clients and it often acts for foreign law firms, providing Dutch law expertise or acting as co-counsel.
Other key lawyers:
Wouter de Clerck; Sander Oorthuys; Max van Leyenhorst
‘Wouter de Clerck and Max van Leijenhorst are very knowledgable in the field of international arbitration’.
‘They are a safe set of hands, with a particular focus on academic support for the argument’.
‘Wouter de Clerck is an exceptional practitioner’.
‘Wouter de Clerck is commercially astute, pragmatic and able to cut through the noise of complicated facts to deliver strategic and concise advice’.
‘Legaltree’s partner-only approach ensures that a client is always directly in touch with the partners and can be sure that these are the people working on their case’.
‘Having all worked at the best Dutch law firms, the Legaltree partners bring excellent quality and longstanding experience against competitive rates’.
‘Sander Oorthuys has deep knowledge of contract law and is a calming presence in sensitive disputes’.
‘Max van Leyenhorst has an academic style and focuses on international arbitration.’
Bellman & Symfon
Oando Oil Limited
- Successfully acted for Oando in Dutch injunctive relief proceedings in connection with a $410m multi-jurisdictional Nigerian oil dispute.
Simmons & Simmons
The Simmons & Simmons arbitration team ‘combines high-level academic knowledge with practical experience and a low-key, can-do approach’. It handles commercial matters, including post-M&A and joint venture disputes, and investment and construction arbitration. Niek Peters heads the practice and sits as arbitrator in national and international disputes.
‘We engaged Niek Peters to provide our business with support with a complex multi-jurisdictional dispute and have been pleased with the small team he engaged to support the project’.
‘The use of technology and flexibility of work has been much appreciated’.
‘Niek and his team have been very solid’.
‘Niek is highly approachable, intelligent and business-orientated’.
‘Niek Peters understands the business concerns and drives and provides pragmatic advice that is frank and easily understood by colleagues’.
‘I enjoy working with Niek Peters and feel that the dialogue is transparent, there is no glossing over of problems and we appreciate his honest opinions’.
‘The team was extremely responsive, and provided well researched and argued submissions as well as advice which was on-point and relevant to the client’.
‘Niek Peters was extremely responsive, smart and displayed immense knowledge and understanding of Dutch arbitration law’.
Cairn Energy PLC
Cairn UK Holdings Ltd
Ferrero Canada Ltd
- Representation of Cairn Energy PLC and Cairn UK Holdings Limited in setting aside proceedings.
- Representation of Ferrero Canada Ltd in arbitration proceedings under the rules of the ICC in relation to a terminated turnkey contract for the delivery, installation and commissioning of machinery for the production of cacao beans.
- Advised Credendo after it had obtained a favourable arbitral award awarding an amount of EUR 16.5m, enforcement of the award was sought after in the Netherlands against Bariven S.A. and leave to enforce the award has been obtained.
Smallegange N.V.’s arbitration and litigation capabilities were recently strengthened with the arrival of Stan Putter from Conway & Partners. Putter brings expertise in international arbitration, commercial litigation and dispute resolution. The practice acts for large domestic and global clients in the construction, engineering, oil and gas, and financial services industries.
‘Extensive knowledge of international procedures, which is quite unique’.
‘A capable team, very good and to the point analysing of legal positions’.
‘Communication is direct and pleasant’.
‘The practice provides boutique litigation and arbitration services to its clients’.
‘Its strongest assets are its personnel’.
‘Stan Putter provides key support to his clients’.
‘Stan Putter is a tenacious lawyer and advocate’.
‘Stan Putter works hard and gives client care a high priority’.
MCA Group (Portugal)
Steamship Insurance (UK)
Noord Nederlandse P&I Club
- Representing Alpha Investgroup Corporation in Netherlands proceedings before the Amsterdam Court of Appeal in relation to the setting aside of an arbitral award relating to a share purchase price dispute exceeding tens of millions.
- Acted for the MCA Group in various urgent and high-stakes arbitration-related injunctions and appeal proceedings and as co-counsel in a New York seated ICC arbitration that included separate ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceedings.
Ysquare Dispute Resolution
Dispute resolution boutique Ysquare was founded in 2019 and the team was recently bolstered by the arrival of Bregje Korthals Altes from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek. It acts for high-profile companies in high-stakes international disputes, arbitration and commercial litigation. The team is also experienced in enforcement and setting aside proceedings before the Dutch State courts. Rufus Abeln is the name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Rufus Abeln; Bregje Korthals Altes
‘Rufus Abeln is a lawyer who defends your interests in the most forceful manner possible, while remaining polite’.
‘Rufus Abeln is able to understand all ins and outs of M&A and the complexities around it and thus is able to defend a party’s interests well’.
Waterland Private Equity
MAD Atelier International
- Representing multiple private equity firms in M&A- and JV-disputes, including private equity group Waterland in a EUR 2bn claim brought in international arbitration proceedings.
- Advising and representing a Dutch multinational in an international ICC arbitration about a dispute relating to asset rental services.
- Representing a global management consultancy firm in a EUR 100m contractual dispute with a multinational company.