Construction in Netherlands
AKD is home to one of the leading construction teams in the Netherlands, with strong experience in contracting, tender processes, and litigation spread across the large team, which is able to provide local expertise across all of its Dutch offices. The firm has recently been instructed on several of the country's largest development projects, acting for principal contractors or developers. Marc Wintgens heads the team along with Sven Billet, while associate Jeanette Luijten is also noted.
Marc Wintgens; Sven Billet
‘AKD delivers quality and does it in a careful and diligent manner. They act as a partner in the development and gives us legal and overall counsel. Also, they helped us in negotiations.‘
‘The team has excellent experts, and they know how to balance the expertise for the issue at hand. AKD is always keen on using the right level of expertise for the case. AKD also has very good in-depth knowledge of the construction market and combined with their legal expertise of construction law they are one of the best firms in this field in the Netherlands.‘
‘Marc Wintgens always surprises me with his ability to “hit the nail on the head”, i.e. he is always able to address the vital issue in a case (especially with regard to contractual issues). Thinking of it, he has one of the sharpest analytical minds I have encountered with lawyers.‘
‘Associate Jeanette Luijten shares this quality, and she is especially effective in international construction cases.’
‘Marc Wintgens is an excellent lawyer, with plenty of experience and outstanding negotiation skills. He is smart, creative and has good leadership.‘
‘Teije van Dijk is a strong construction litigator who can handle large files and projects very well. He is an excellent lawyer and very practical.‘
‘Marlies Pierik is very hands-on, is clever and knows exactly the challenges firms like ours are facing.‘
‘Taco de Lange and Reint Bolhuis. They both helped us. Taco is very senior, has a lot of knowledge and is a strategic thinker. He always keeps the interests of us in mind. Reint is pro active. He creates the documents, drafts emails to third parties and helps us with complex ownership situations.‘
OVG Real Estate / Edge Technologies
Green Real Estate
Development Company Greenport Venlo (DCGV)
M&G Real Estate
Janssen De Jong / Hercuton
Flow Real Estate
- Handling all legal work for VolkerWessels, The Municipality of Eindhoven, and ParkStrijp CV, the joint venture between the two, regarding the Strijp S development.
- Advised Zalando on all construction aspects regarding the development of a new e-fulfilment centre.
- Assisting Ontwikkelbedrijf Greenport Venlo (a 100% governmental body) with the development of Greenport Venlo.
The construction team at De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek provides a full service across all types of work in the sector, but is most notable for its litigation and arbitration experience, particularly in international construction matters. Practice head Bommel van der Bend is highly regarded in arbitration work, as well as having substantial expertise in procurement law on both a Dutch and European level. Stefan Derksen is another key name for construction disputes.
Bommel Van Der Bend
‘De Brauw has leading edge competence in construction law and knows how to interweave this effectively in the client’s process, in such a way that there is added value for the projects involved.‘
‘Nicolien van den Biggelaar and Arjan Kleinhout bring their excellent knowledge in the right way into the appropriate form in clients processes.‘
Royal Dutch Shell
Port of Rotterdam
Nuclear Research Group
Novolipetsk Steel Company (NLMK)
- Representing Sabah Shell Petroleum Co. Ltd. (a Royal Dutch Shell subsidiary) in a $1bn arbitration against a subsidiary of Petronas (Gumusut-Kakap Semi-Floating Production System Limited).
- Advising Schipol Airport on the construction of a new pier and terminal building.
- Acting for Unilever on the development of its Global Foods Innovation Centre in Wageningen, the Netherlands, including handling related litigation.
Boutique Rotterdam-based firm HabrakenRutten advises clients throughout the life cycle of a construction project from inception to completion, as well as representing clients in litigation and arbitration cases. The firm is particularly prominent in the area of PPP projects, advising clients on the potential overhaul of contracting and procurement practices in the sector. Founding partners Sjoerd Rutten and Peter Habraken head the team along with Henk Raven. The group also saw the arrival of Gérard Moussault from Bird & Bird LLP and counsel Danny Vlasbolm, who specialises in contentious construction matters, from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek.
Sjoerd Rutten; Peter Habraken; Henk Raven
‘The team is more than substantively strong. They are also pragmatic. No regular office, but sparring partners‘
‘Not consultative, but advisory – clear and reliable.‘
Lans Westland Holding
- Advising Hommerson Casino’s on the development, realisation, financing and sale of a large seaboard parking facility in Scheveningen, The Hague.
- Assisting Syntrus Achmea with its redevelopment of the Planeet (‘the Planet’) shopping mall in the city centre of Utrecht.
- Advising CA1|28, a combination of Royal BAM and Van Oord, on the early termination of its PDC contract with the state of the Netherlands, for the complete restructuring of the Hoevelaken A1 and A28 motorways intersection.
Headed from Rotterdam by Michel Klijn, the Houthoff construction team provides a full range of services, across both the contentious and advisory spaces, along with strong collaboration with other departments to provide a full service in all areas of legal work. Senior associate Sander van den Boogaart is highly recommended for matters involving public private partnerships. Associate Rikkert Pilaar is another key figure to note at the more junior end of the spectrum.
‘The Houthoff team has a broad package of expertise on both legal as well as tax and insurance matters. Besides the team is not only legally focused but also technically skilled.‘
‘Very knowledgeable team, both on the legal part as for the technical and commercial aspects relating to construction.‘
‘They have everything in-house to help with different types of legal problems.‘
‘Michel Klijn is highly skilled and really understands the legal position you are in and assists in a very positive manner.‘
‘Sander van den Boogaart is an all-rounder for PPP’s and financing. Practical, very easy to work with and very efficient. ‘
‘Zara Gulikers is not as senior yet as Michel, but she already makes impressive memos according to the matters we have in our projects.‘
‘Houthoff partners and associates involved in our process are fully dedicated with quick response. Serious in handling our cases with a sense of humour in our relationship.‘
‘Michel Klijn – no nonsense and straight to the point, but with the needed in depth knowledge, ample experience and legal expertise. He’s not cutting corners, just driving fast towards the goal.‘
Invester United Benefits
Rotterdam Erasmus University
DST Group / Bysteel
Daimler / Mercedes-Benz
International Criminal Court
Waterschap Aa en Maas (Water control board)
CPD Alpha Tech
- Advising Daimler and Mercedes-Benz on the development, construction and lease of the new Dutch headquarters of Mercedes-Benz.
- Assisting Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield with the redevelopment of the Leidsenhage shopping mall in Leidschendam-Voorburg.
- Advising Rotterdam University on the potential consequences of the 2017 Eindhoven Airport parking lot collapse on Dutch construction regulations concerning bubbledeck flooring.
Stibbe provides a strong all-round construction law service led by David Orobio de Castro and Ingmar De Groot, the latter of whom is particularly notable for his work on contentious matters. In addition to a strong base of developer clients, which it works with on several of the largest and most high-profile upcoming projects, the firm is often instructed by large corporates in relation to commercial and industrial developments, including headquarters, distribution centres, and flagship premises. The team has strength throughout its ranks, with senior associates Erik Verweij and Iris Hendriksen both noted for procurement and contracts work.
David Orobio de Castro; Ingmar de Groot
Bouwfonds Property Development
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Royal BAM Group
University of Amsterdam
- Acting for Ballast Nedam on the construction of a new hospital on the island of Curaçao, including representation in a linked dispute with one of the suppliers.
- Advising TNT/FedEx on the tender, contracting and development of a new European headquarters in Hoofddorp.
- Acting for Bouwfonds Property Development on the development of Booking.com’s new international headquarters in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Rotterdam-based construction and real estate boutique Straatman Koster Advocaten houses one of the Netherlands' largest specialist construction law teams, and provides a full service throughout the life cycle of projects in a wide range of industries. Practice head Oliver Vermeulen is often instructed by contractors, developers, and government bodies and Angela Minderhoud specialises in pre-court dispute resolution, litigation, and arbitration with a particular niche in the energy, infrastructure, and utility sectors.
‘The team is very knowledgeable, focused on results and getting these results, and has a broad network
‘Expertise of all team members I’ve dealt with is always beyond doubt. Availability on the short notice is crucial in our dealings with the firm and flexibility of the team members is extremely high. Productivity and effectiveness makes the use of Straatman Koster a very cost effective option.‘
‘Angela Minderhoud is very driven, sharp and bites into a case. Client service is high on the list.‘
BPD (formerly Bouwfonds / Rabobank)
Koninklijke Volkers Wessels Stevin
Schiphol Area Development Company
Municipality of Rotterdam
Municipality of The Hague
Municipality of Leiden
Municipality of Gouda
Municipality of De Bilt
Municipality of Utrecht
Province of Zuid-Holland
Football Club Feyenoord
Green Park Aalsmeer Gebiedsontwikkeling
Ontwikkelings Maatschappij Lelystad Airport (OMALA)
Football Club AZ
N.V. Ontwikkelingsmaatschappij Utrecht
Future Wind (joint venture of SIF Holding and Pondera Development)
- Advising the municipality of Rotterdam on the urban regeneration project “Hart van Zuid”.
- Acting for the municipality of Almere on all construction aspects of its hosting of the 2022 International Horticultural Expo.
- Acting for A-Lanes A15 in negotiations and litigation with subcontractors arising from a highway construction project.
CMS is home to a construction team with wide-ranging experience, capable of advising the full spectrum of market players on the structuring of property rights, development agreements and contracting. The firm also represents contractors, insurers, and subcontractors in contentious work, with recent highlights concerning contract disputes, delays to projects, and collapse or failure of completed projects. Jeroen Berlage and Arno Moret jointly lead the group, and both are primarily focused on the contentious side of the practice. The firm draws on several sources of experience for non-contentious work, in addition to Moret and Berlage, such as Petra Heemskerk for procurement law and Bas Baks for matters with an insurance element.
Jeroen Berlage; Arno Moret
Royal BAM Group
N.V. Nederlandse Spoorwegen
Janssen de Jon
- Represented construction company Koninklijke BAM Groep in a multi-party dispute concerning a parking garage in Eindhoven airport, which collapsed a month before opening to the public.
- Represented subcontractor Andus Group in an arbitration against main contractor TBI arising from the development of the European Patent Organisation’s new office Rijswijk.
- Advising Intralox on the project development agreements for the construction of a production facility and office spaces at a business park in Doetinchem.
The construction team at Dentons is particularly strong on contracts for projects in the infrastructure, energy and industrial, and commercial real estate sectors, as well as representing clients in disputes. The practice is led by Bas van Schouwenburg, who is particularly experienced in international projects and Fidic contracts, often working in collaboration with the firm's wider network. The team also provides specialist procurement expertise in the form of Bram Braat, who handles tender process as well as litigation work.
Bas van Schouwenburg
‘Bas van Schouwenburg has experience with building practice, which allows him to quickly understand and respond to the legal context of the issue. This ensures efficient handling of the issue. The essence of the matter is so quickly on the table.‘
‘The Dentons Netherlands team offer first class support and advice, and pay attention to the detail. They feel like a very safe pair of hands.‘
‘The construction practice of Dentons is really pragmatic, hands-on and they have a great understanding of the business and are able to provide you with a sound advice.‘
Croon Wolter & Dros B.V.
Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam
H&M Hennes & Mauritz Netherlands B.V.
Joh. Mourik & Co Holding B.V.
Klépierre Vastgoed Ontwikkeling B.V.
Leyten Bouwplanontwikkeling B.V.
Municipality of Rotterdam
Stichting Woonstad Rotterdam
TBI Europe B.V.
Visser & Smit Hanab B.V.
Sinnalba Group Ltd.
Wonderwoods Development B.V.
Starwood Capital Group
Beulco GmbH & Co. KG
McCain Foods Holland B.V.
- Assisting CTF, project owner, with drafting and negotiating various construction agreements and a construction management contract for the transformation of the former Palace of Justice into a luxury hotel.
- Assisting OWD with several Fidic-based contracts for the construction of a floating desalination plant in the Middle East.
- Advising Visser & Smit Hanab on drafting several EPC and Fidic-based contracts for various energy projects.
Kennedy Van der Laan advises all parties in construction matters, from contractors and developers to large corporates, handling all aspects of work from the initial tender phase through to turn-key purchase agreements and post-construction litigation and arbitration. The practice is jointly headed by Richard-Jan Roks, who is highly regarded for procurement and contract matters, and Nico Jacobs, who is especially strong in the hospitality sector.
Richard Jan Roks; Nico Jacobs
Municipality of Amsterdam
Port of Amsterdam
Municipality of Groningen
Prinses Máxima Centrum for Child Oncologie
PPHE Hotel Group
Grand City Hotel Group
Bouwbedrijf de Nijs
- Acting for contractor VolkerWessels in a dispute brought by a former client, who alleges that a roof supplied by the company is defective.
- Assisting Vink Bouw with the renovation and redevelopment of three former silos into a multi-functional development, known as the Three Kings project.
- Advised Port of Amsterdam concerning the realisation of several solar projects in the Amsterdam Harbour.
Loyens & Loeff's construction team focuses on providing an integrated service to developers, working in conjunction with its notarial and tax departments as well as providing legal advice. The firm is primarily active in non-contentious construction work, covering both commercial and residential developments, with a strong showing in the expanding student housing sector. The multiple branches of expertise the firm provides are reflected in the practice's leaders; civil law notary Jurriaan van der Stok, tax adviser Ynze van der Tempel and counsel Timo Huisman.
Jurriaan van der Stok; Ynze van der Tempel; Timo Huisman
ASR Real Estate
David Hart Groep
Flow Real Estate
Hugenholtz Property Group
ING Real Estate Development
JP van Eesteren
OVG / Edge Technologies
Schiphol Real Estate
Somerset CP / Real Estate
Round Hill Capital
- Advised Weller Vastgoed Ontwikkeling on its contractual relationships and settlements with the Municipality of Heerlen, the Dutch Railways, the contractors involved and the hotel developer, in relation to the Maankwartier development in Heerlen.
- Assisting Provastgoed with the development of the Grotiusplaats residential and commercial project in the Hague.
- Advising Zalmhaven C.V. on the development of a trendsetting project consisting of three high-rise residential towers, being the highest (residential) building in the Netherlands.
PPP is the watchword for the construction team at Norton Rose Fulbright, with the team instructed by the winning consortiums in several of the largest Dutch projects, particularly in the infrastructure sector. Practice head Daphne Broerse advises private parties as well as governmental authorities on large-scale energy, infrastructure and commercial developments, and is experienced in a wide range of non-contentious project development work. Other recent work for the firm has included commercial developments, development of standard contracts, and cross-border matters.
Ballast Nedam Concessies
Zouk Capital LLP
- Advised the winning consortium on the tendering of the design, build, finance and maintain agreement for the new motorway connection between the A15 and A20 motorways, known as the Blankenburg corridor.
- Acted for Dura Vermeer on developing a template contract for the development of circular road projects, wherein road materials are reused in future projects to improve sustainability.
- Advising the winning Consortium Comol5 on the RijnlandRoute project, a new motorway connection in Leiden.
Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV is best known for acting for the Dutch state as well as several local municipalities, and as such the firm is particularly prevalent in large-scale public works and infrastructure projects, with the PPP experience to match its standing in this area. Mark Birnage heads the practice, and has significant experience with design, build, finance, maintain, and operate contracts from the procurer's side. Pieter Stuijt maintains his involvement with the practice, particularly focusing on procurement disputes.
‘The construction and procurement practice is unique as they have extensive knowledge of, and lots of experience in working with, the Dutch central government. They have a good understanding of what is important to us – we do not have to guide them or explain them: they just know and advise accordingly. ‘
‘Their subject matter expertise, integral and detailed approach to the case and interest and specific client / project member involvement make this company really stand out from other firms.‘
‘The lawyers who helped me are competent, work quickly and think along with the client – I have been informed of risks that we did not have in mind and the lawyers have come up with an innovative solution‘
‘Besides the excellent legal services, the focus is always on the best collaboration and insight about the common interests. ‘
‘The individuals are building personal relationships, are outspoken, realistic and fair. They make you think. Each one of the team is aware of the bigger picture and is always working on the best solutions that are resistant for the future. ‘
‘Sikke Kingma is a fast thinker, willing to think along with the client, and substantively strong. Christina Muntinghe is a fast thinker, customer friendly with broad knowledge. Maarten van Rijn is a good negotiator, sharp, and formulates correctly.‘
‘Mr. Wolters Ruckert and Mr. Pieter Stuijt: These gentlemen act with integrity, care for the cause and speak up for what is right. Both create an atmosphere open for dialogue and suggestions. This makes the clients feel understood, involved and feel that they talk in a trusted environment.‘
‘Pieter Stuijt is a very likeable lawyer with a great sense of humor, which makes him a pleasure to work with. He has a ton of experience and is the reliable and steady force behind many associates.‘
‘Lonneke de Graaf is an excellent lawyer with a sharp eye for detail‘
Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management (Rijkswaterstaat)
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Finance
Central Government Real Estate Agency
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations
Province of Noord-Holland
Province of South-Holland
Province of Noord-Brabant
Province of Gelderland
City of The Hague
City of The Rotterdam
City of Amsterdam
City of Haarlem
City of Leiden
City of Utrecht
De Vries Groep and Feadship Royal de Vries Shipbuilding BV
Feadship – Royal van Lent Shipyard
- Advising the State of the Netherlands on the €1bn Blankenburgverbinding road PPP, now in the execution phase.
- Advising the state of the Netherlands on the €850m ViA15 motorway connection PPP
- Acted for the state of the Netherlands on the execution of the €200m A6 Almere road PPP, which has now completed the construction phase ahead of schedule.
Six Advocaten fields a team with strong experience in both advisory work and disputes, particularly regarding tender processes, contracting, and issues arising during the development phase. Benno Den Teuling is particularly notable for his work on claims for damages arising out of delays to projects, while practice head Fabian Horsting is more of a generalist, working across both the construction and real estate sectors.
MN Pension Fund for Metal and Technology Industry
Royal BAM group
Paribus Immobilien Assetmanagement GmbH
PVH Group (Tommy Hilfiger)
CBRE Global Investors
- Advised The Municipality of Amsterdam on procurement and contracting in relation to the development of a new artificial island in the IJ river.
- Advised on procurement of and contracting with the architect and the builder with respect to the design and realisation of a student campus at the Bio Science Park in Leiden for Yisheng Development.
- Acting for AM on its development of the Gare du Nord project, a mixed-use urban area surrounding the northern terminus of the new Amsterdam Metro line.
Van Doorne is primarily focused on non-contentious construction matters, advising developers on large-scale commercial and residential projects, including acting for several housing corporations and assisting large corporates with construction and redevelopment of retail premises. The firm also has substantial experience of healthcare-related redevelopment and construction projects, often acting for hospital operators and academic institutions. The practice is led by Mark Moolhuizen and Annerie Ploumen. Jordie Bakker is a name to note among the more junior ranks.
Mark Moolhuizen; Annerie Ploumen
‘Van Doorne is able to think along with the client and combines that with their expertise.‘
‘The team delivers with high speed, high quality, no nonsense advise and drafts to decide upon.‘
‘Van Doorne has a team that has a great deal of and varied knowledge. They work quickly and listen carefully to customer demand. They always have a clear picture of the risks.‘
‘Mark Moolhuizen is able to provide advice that gives direction to the discussion in a way that, while he is on ‘your’ side, gives a pragmatic solution for all parties involved. Together with Jordie Bakker he is able to bring a concept agreement back to the core without taking a risk of not covering all relevant topics.‘
Albert Schweitzer Hospital
Aloysius Foundation Education Institute
Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS)
Care Property Invest
Dar Al-Handasah Consultants
De Nijs Construction
De Rooi Pannen
Het Nieuwe Instituut
Housing Corporation Woonbron
Housing Corporation De Key
Housing Corporation Eigen Haard
Housing Corporation Waterweg Wonen
Inter IKEA Systems
Kentucky Fried Chicken
LIFE (Living in a funky environment)
Municipality of Amstelveen
Municipality of Helmond
Niersman Construction Company
PRA Health Sciences
Radboud University Hospital
ROC van Amsterdam
SM Prime Holdings Inc.
Vahstal Construction Company
Vollers Real Estate
Xior Student Housing
Zaans Medical Centre
- Advised PRA on its contracts regarding the expansion of its Assen laboratories and offices.
- Advising the municipality of Helmond and the educational institute OMO on the development of sporting and experience campus De Braak.
- Assisting Zalmhaven, a joint venture between two real estate developers, with the development of the Zalmhaven tower in Rotterdam.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's cross-practice team advises all parties on construction and development matters, as well as representing clients in litigation arising from failed developments. The firm has experience of projects in the infrastructure and energy industries, as well as both commercial and residential real estate developments. Hilde Van Der Baan is highly regarded for construction disputes, and Zeeger De Jongh is a key contact for PPP matters. Counsel Coen Thomas rejoined the firm following a spell in-house at Shell International, and now heads up the firm's industry, leasing and construction team.
‘Allen & Overy provides dedication, understanding of client needs, flexibility, availability and consequently expedient service.‘
ABN AMRO N.V.
Strukton Integrale Projecten
Dura Vermeer Groep B.V.
Vue Cinemas B.V.
Pioneer Point Partners
South Stream Transport
- Represented Gazprom subsidiary South Stream Transport in its offshore construction dispute with Saipem, concerning the cancellation of a cross-border fuel pipeline project.
- Advised Booking.com on a range of matters in relation to the development of its new headquarters in Amsterdam
- Advising a bidding consortium on the A9 Badhoevedorp Road PPP in the Netherlands, involving the widening of the A9 road.
Boutique construction specialists Croon advocaten operate out of The Hague, and are often instructed by Dutch municipalities, ministries, and other governmental bodies for advisory and litigation work. The firm also has a corporate client base, particularly in the energy and housing sectors. Founding partners Daniel Santurio González, Nienke Keus-Goldberg, and Birgit Le Haen-de Croon are key figures within the team, which expanded its ranks recently with the arrival of Georg Huith and several associates from Pels Rijcken & Droogleever Fortuijn NV in late 2018 and early 2019.
Daniel Santurio González; Nienke Keus-Goldberg; Birgit Le Haen-de Croon; Georg Huith
‘Croon advocaten is a specialized firm with great knowledge on public procurement and construction law. In particular, it has great experience working with clients within the public sector‘
‘Croon has in depth experience and knowledge with major building and construction projects.‘
‘Georg Huith and his team are really outstanding if it comes to any complicated lawsuit. They have an outstanding knowledge of construction law.‘
‘Georg Huith is a top lawyer. We can count on him in every aspect.‘
‘Georg Huith is easy to reach and is an amiable person. He has vast knowledge of the area of law and can easily translate this for people with less knowledge.‘
‘Birgit Le Haen is strategic, very strong both in tender phase and in construction phase.‘
‘The Croon employees are capable of mixing legal knowledge with every day experience and in that sense can come up with practical solutions.‘
‘Nienke Keus is hands-on, thinks in terms of what’s best for the client and dedicated to bringing good results, and is able to communicate and explain in language that everyone in the team understands.‘
The Province of North-Holland
The Province of Utrecht
The City of Amsterdam
The City of The Hague
Stichting Paleis Het Loo Nationaal Museum
- Advising the Province of Zeeland on construction and procurement law in relation to the decommissioning of the last remaining phosphorous factory in Europe.
- Advising the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management on contractual issues and conflicts arising from the €40m works for widening the Juliana Canal.
- Represented the Province of North-Holland during extensive legal proceedings following the failed development of a €250m business and distribution area.
DLA Piper is home to a strong procurement team led by Janet Meesters, who also jointly runs the broader construction practice with Hans-Mark Giezen. The team acts for large contractors as well as developer-side clients on large-scale projects, renovations, and developments. The firm is also notable for its significant sector expertise, and is often instructed by clients in the infrastructure, waste management, energy, and education spaces.
Hans-Mark Giezen; Janet Meesters
‘Very great enthusiastic team with a lot of knowledge.‘
‘Hans Mark Giezen is a very experienced and all-around lawyer that is capable of providing sound legal advice. He deals with complex matter in an easy way and is decisive in negotiations.‘
‘Leen van der Marel is the best in construction law there is.‘
‘Monique Laenen and Axel Visschedijk are very client focused, always looking for solutions in complex situations.‘
Technical University Delft
Asset Rail B.V.
- Advised Intervest Offices & Warehouses NV on the acquisition and development of a disused (chemical manufacturing) industrial site in Roosendaal.
- Assisted Merlin with the development of Legoland at Scheveningen.
- Acted for the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool van Amsterdam) on the procurement and building process of the new Conradhuis, a fourteen-storey building, which is the final building of the Amstel Campus to be developed.
Lexence is instructed by contractors and developers on large-scale projects, refits, and redevelopments, concerning the full range of residential, commercial, and industrial properties. The firm is highly experienced in contract work on both sides of the aisle, and also provides a full service to developer clients including sale and leasing work in collaboration with the real estate practice. Bob Bekker heads the team.
Rabo Real Estate Group / Bouwfonds REIM
Dura Vermeer N.V.
De Hoge Dennen
CBRE Global Investors
Deutsche Bank (RREEF)
Van Herk Groep
The construction team at NautaDutilh is most prominent in the field of PPP projects, advising clients on all sides of such projects throughout the contracting, tender, and development phases. The firm is also highly active in large-scale fit-outs and renovations of existing commercial spaces, as well as industrial and office developments. David van Ee heads the construction practice, and has significant procurement experience in addition to strong PPP knowledge.
David van Ee
‘Nauta provides outstanding strength and depth across all practice areas we have dealt with. The construction team interacts seamlessly with expert colleagues in other key areas such as tax, employment and commercial law and is quick to involve those colleagues, with none of the territoriality sometimes encountered in other firms. The teams are very well resourced and highly expert in their respective fields of practice and very much attuned to commercial practice in their sectors.
‘David van Ee is a supremely competent lawyer, who is hugely authoritative and technically expert yet entirely approachable, very commercially astute and pragmatic. David is never afraid to take on a challenging legal assignment, meeting it head-on with intelligence, pragmatism and efficiency -as a client, you could not be in better hands. He has also had the foresight and wisdom to surround himself with excellent associates, such as Valerie Nauta.‘
Municipality of Amsterdam
Koninklijke BAM Groep
European Investment Bank (EIB)
BamTech (Subsidiary of Disney)
Van Lanschot Kempen
Office for Metropolitan Architecture (O.M.A)
John Sisk & Son Ltd
Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam
- Assisted Econocom with the innovative ‘Display-as-a-Service’ project launched by Schiphol Nederland.
- Advising the municipality of Amsterdam on the redevelopment of the Hamerkwartier.
- Advising John Sisk & Son on the construction of the expansion of a life science facility in Haarlem of MSD.
Rozemond Advocaten is one of the most well-established construction law boutiques in the Netherlands, and the firm is prominent on the contentious side of construction work, though it also provides procurement litigation expertise, along with advisory and pre-dispute work. Rob Bleeker is a key name to note within the team, and focuses on private construction law and procurement
Severijn Hulshof Advocaten
Severijn Hulshof Advocaten is a boutique firm which is praised by clients for its 'excellent knowledge in the field of construction and procurement legislation', as well as its 'very quick response', 'very sound research work' and 'practical attitude'. The firm provides a full service across both contentious and non-contentious construction work, including ICC arbitrations, litigation, and contract drafting. The three-partner team is jointly led by civil law and procurement specialist Leendert Van Den Berg, infrastructure specialist Joost Haest, and the litigation and insurance-focused Erik Gierman.
Leendert Van Den Berg; Joost Haest; Erik Gierman
‘Severijn Hulshof has been our preferred partner for all construction matters for the past years. They are able to act rapidly, with the proper knowledge, such against very competitive fees, particularly compared to the bigger firms.‘
‘Severijn Hulshof are a highly specialized niche firm, which enables them to provide almost always a first analysis during the intake-meeting. In addition it must be stressed that Severijn Hulshof is very hands- on and keen on avoiding long memos and excels in giving straight advice.‘
‘Niche office with very knowledgeable employees, each with their own specialism, on top of a thorough knowledge of construction law. The strength of this office lies in the small team of specialists who complement each other outstandingly. The core business is carried out perfectly and it is all about the client.‘
‘Leendert van den Berg is a hands on professional. He assisted us on several big construction projects. He combines in depth knowledge with the required practical skills. Gets the job done. Comes in highly recommended. ‘
‘Joost Haest is a very professional lawyer who is very clear and direct in communication. He is very honest and straight forward, in combination with the knowledge he has, makes an iron strong lawyer.‘
‘Leendert van der Berg is a very smart lawyer with real knowledge of his sector.‘
Boutique firm Sight Advocaten focuses heavily on the construction and real estate industries, primarily acting for contractors and developers. Practice head Saskia Könemann focuses on contentious matters, handling litigation and arbitration, as well as advisory work in the lead-up to potential disputes. Recent work has included contract disputes against developers, litigation against subcontractors, and disputes concerning delayed or defective works. Sebastiaan Sellenraad takes the lead on the non-contentious side, with a particular focus on the redevelopment of areas including shopping centres and business parks, where ownership is often fragmented.
Simmons & Simmons' construction team is instructed on many large redevelopment projects, and is experienced in the area of turnkey agreements, as well as other contracting and subcontracting issues. The firm is also recommended for international matters, working with its international offices. Luc Cohen heads the firm's broader real estate and construction practice, while 'efficient' managing associate Andrea Chao is another figure to note.
‘The ability to use international knowledge and employees of the organisation in local case studies is amazing. There is no noticeable stress between various country partners or visible conflict of interest. Combining the group’s international resources together with keeping the interest of the client and the case first priority, makes Simmons & Simmons a reliable, effective and efficient choice.‘
‘The firm has an ability to mobilize under a tight time frame a multinational team of experts, progress various workstreams in parallel and ultimately enable us as their client to achieve exchange on the transaction within the required time frame.‘
‘The team’s strength in my opinion is their no-nonsense and practical approach, while keeping their high standard of legal knowledge. Other firms tend to use 1,000 words where at some moments 100 should be sufficient.’
‘Andrea Chao is always willing to help you, answers quickly, works 24/7, has a broad knowledge of the specific construction field, a sharp mind, and quickly finds solutions for big problems.‘
‘Andrea Chao is a motivated and professional individual.‘
‘The ability to customize advise and their approach, based on client and all involved stakeholders. Within our project everybody was working as one team, with one vision and opinion.‘
90 North Real Estate Partners LLP
Meijer Realty Partners
RE-N Produktion ApS/RE-N Technology BV
Movement Real Estate / Van Deursen Group
Municipality of Amsterdam
- Advising German solar company PfalzSolar GmbH on the development of multiple rooftop and greenfield solar PV projects in the Netherlands.
Van der Feltz Advocaten has a strong procurement and construction law team, which often works in conjunction with the firm's environmental, planning, and energy departments to meet a wide range of project-related needs. The firm saw the arrival of energy sector specialist Michelle de Rijke from Bird & Bird LLP in late 2019, while senior associate and construction litigator Susanne van de Pest was a new arrival from Severjin Hulshof Advocaten in early 2019. Willem van der Werf and the 'knowledgeable' Marc Houweling lead the group.
Marc Houweling; Willem van der Werf
‘The Van der Felzt advocaten team works well together, knows what they should do from each other. The customer is well-informed. They ask the right questions to get to the core and then provide advice that the client can use.‘
‘Susanne van de Pest is a seasoned practitioner and a real team player. Very pleasant to work with.‘
Koninklijke BAM group
Van Wanrooij Bouw en Ontwikkeling
Van Arnhem Bouwgroep
European Patent Office
- Advising the European Patent Office (EPO) on the development of its new main building, a €250m office building of 80,000 m2 for staff of the EPO.
- Representing water company Dunea in summary proceedings regarding a procurement dispute relating to building materials
- Advising Kondor Wessels on the development of student and youth housing on the Postjesweg in Amsterdam.