Allen & Gledhill (Myanmar) Co., Ltd has a well-established projects practice assisting international companies on high-end power and energy projects, shopping malls developments, and banking transactions. Minn Naing Oo advises on infrastructure projects across ports and urban developments. In a representative matter, the group is advising on a liquefied petroleum gas facility in Myanmar. Oh Hsiu-Hau is a key member of the group advising on corporate elements, whilst banking partner Lee Jun Yee handles M&A matters. The team regularly works with its office in Singapore on cross-border energy mandates.
Projects in Myanmar
Minn Naing Oo
Other key lawyers:
Oh Hsiu-Hau; Lee Jun Yee
‘Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, diverse team with broad range of expertise and the only full-service firm one would need for the Myanmar market. A&G Myanmar has been our go-to firm for the past 6 years and counting.’
‘Minn Niang Oo (Managing Partner) is an extremely seasoned multi-jurisdiction qualified lawyer, who is an absolute asset where Myanmar legal expertise is concerned. He is ever responsive and ready to advise on corporate, regulatory, construction, insurance and dispute matters or is able to swiftly bring other local experts from his team onboard.’
- Advising NYDC, a company established by the Yangon Regional Government, as transaction counsel, on the $1.5bn phase 1 development of the New Yangon City in the western Yangon region of Myanmar.
- Advising CECA Gold on the development of a liquefied petroleum gas receiving, tanking, storage and bottling facility in Kyauk Tan Township Thilawa, Myanmar. The matter is cross border (spanning Singapore, Malaysia and Myanmar) and involved a multidisciplinary team from Singapore and Myanmar.
DFDL Legal & Tax operate out of Singapore and provide a comprehensive projects offering to international investor clients in Myanmar. The team works on major deals across the energy and infrastructure space and advises on corporate elements and acquisitions. William Greenlee is the key contact along with Nishant Choudhary.
Fielding an extensive regional presence across Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw, and Mandalay, VDB Loi is highlighted as ‘dynamic’, according to clients, and handles high-value lending work for banking clients across solar power and infrastructure projects. Practice head of energy and infrastructure Edwin Vanderbruggen has over two decades of experience advising foreign investors and government entities on energy privatisations. He is supported by co-head Charles Magdelaine who has strength advising on hydropower, LNG work, and gas transactions. PPP matters also feature in the caseload. Finance contact Maxim Kobzev is also a notable member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Several qualities can define the team. Complementary skills which allow it to understand and tackle an extended range of requests and multi-domains. Legal, technology, investment, taxations, and more. Sometimes I have the feeling that the sky is their limit.’
‘Why we keep the team of VDB Loi, they are dynamic and not static. I mean, VDB Loi can increase their team and its skills in adding key experts with added value and the expert knowledge will be disseminated. My last point will be communication, which is a strength of this team.’
- Advised a consortium of investors on bidding, negotiations of power purchase agreements, and construction arrangements for three solar power projects in Myanmar.
- Advised investors on a major hydropower development project, including structuring, construction, and land acquisition arrangements.
- Advised foreign investor on a private-public-partnership project to develop water treatment and distribution system in one of the Myanmar cities.
Duane Morris & Selvam (Myanmar) Limited’s project development practice operates out of Singapore and Yangon, and advises state-owned entities and conglomerates on large financing matters, PPP projects and commercial real estate matters. The group has strong regional links via its offices and handles cross-border work across Southeast Asia. Krishna Ramachandra in Singapore focuses on M&A, joint ventures and capital markets transactions, whilst Priyank Srivastava in Yangon advises on the regulatory framework in Myanmar and energy projects. Others of note include senior associate CN Bei Lo who advises on foreign direct investment.
Other key lawyers:
CN Bei Lo
Eco-Friendly Tower Company Ltd
Goldman Investment Int Holdings
OIL India Limited
Heineken Asia Pacific Ltd
Vanguard Myanmar Company Limited
Beijing Deheng, Sichuan Petroleum and Natural Gas Construction Engineering Co.
Shwe Min Gan Finance Company
Indraprashta Gas Limited
Myanmar Apex Group
Myanmar Ah-La Construction
- Advising Eco-Friendly Tower Company Ltd a Singapore and Myanmar conglomerate on its potential US$800 million investment in a tower company. Undertaking a red-flag due diligence on the target involving over 1000 towers and voluminous material agreements.
- Advising Goldman Investment Int Holdings a PRC company on its approx. USD 100 Mil housing/commercial development project and joint-venture matters with a Myanmar conglomerate. The project involves a BOT arrangement with the Myanmar authorities.
- Advising Iceberg Holding a Singapore Oil & Gas retail holding company with its $50m financing and joint-venture plans in Southeast Asia.
Myanmar Legal MHM Limited is highlighted for its ‘quick response time’ by Japanese clients who continue to instruct the team on inbound investments matters and cross-border projects in Myanmar. The team has a track record in port concession projects, power plant financings, joint venture matters, and insurance. Practice head Takeshi Mukawa is the name for infrastructure projects whilst Kana Manabe handles domestic transactions for Japanese companies; she also holds litigation experience. Oil and gas work is dealt with by Win Naing, who has two decades of experience in this field. Clients include both private and public sector companies.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a well-experienced and diverse team. As we are a Japanese financial institution, their advice together with deep understanding of Japanese insurance laws and regulations was quite helpful to us.’
‘The team has high professional skills and quick response times.’
AEON Mall Co., Ltd.
CB Bank PCL
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited
Wacoal Holdings Corp.
Meeyahta Development Limited
Myanmar Wanbao Mining Copper Ltd
Nippon Life Insurance Company
Tokio Marine Asia Pte Ltd
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited
Myanmar Japan Thilawa
Toyota Myanmar Co., Ltd.
- Advised AEON Mall Co., Ltd. on a joint venture with Myanmar’s largest shopping centre owner, manager and operator, to develop and operate shopping malls in Myanmar. This is one of the largest real estate development projects in Myanmar.
- Advising CB Bank PCL, one of Myanmar’s largest banks, on preparing standard form documentation for its day-to-day lending transactions, and providing training on the use of the documents by its employees, a project that will develop the basis for the client’s lending business.
- Advised Myanmar Wanbao Mining Copper Ltd which operates the largest copper mining project in Myanmar, on a range of Myanmar law matters since its establishment, including land acquisition, labour, environmental and other compliance requirements.
At ZICO Law, the team is instructed on several power and solar plant projects in Myanmar. Practice head Maung Maung Thein has a well-established reputation and is the name for project financings and banking work. He is supported by Geraldine Oh, who advises on commercial aspects of projects and handles litigation matters. Energy and trade sector work feature in the matter highlights.
Maung Maung Then; Geraldine Oh
‘Our company has been working with ZICO for several years, they are quite experienced in the Asia area, especially energy sector. ZICO offered great help in our first and the largest solar power project in Myanmar. Their team is good at contract drafing, negotiations and also to put themselves in our shoes as the EPC contractor. The team is also very stable, we have beening working with the same lawyer (now one partner) for long, this makes it easier and convenient for our business.’
‘The main contact we have from ZICO is Geraldine Oh Kah Yan. she’s a very possifessional, hard-working and logic thinking lawyer. Whenever we have questions, she is always able to answer in a detailed way in a very short time, providing professional suggestions and we do not need to worry to much about the legal part. Also, her outstanding ability makes our Owner very impressive.’
Myanmar Singapore Hlegu
China Triumph International Engineering Co., Ltd (CITEC)
- Advising a major Chinese State Owned Enterprise on the tender and bid document in its bidding process for amongst30 sites ground mounted solar tender released by the Myanmar Ministry of Electricity and Energy.
Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited advises on the full-lifecycle of projects from construction to contractual matters across Myanmar and Southeast Asia. The team is active in government-related work; including advising on multi-million-dollar public housing projects in Yangon and on landmark railways projects. Chester Toh is the name for regulatory issues and Min Thein handles investment matters. Construction and infrastructure disputes feature in the caseload. Also in Singapore is Shemane Chan who has strength in the energy, transportation, and telecoms sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very responsive, and provide a measured and balanced viewpoint. Instead of simply stating the law, they help us to weigh our options carefully and also advise us against taking certain actions which our management are keen on.’
Dagon International Limited
Best Oil and PT Power
Liberty Global Transaction Solutions
Myanma Apex Bank Limited
- Acted for the Lender in the granting of banking facilities of up to $30m for the development of a subsea cable from Myanmar to Singapore.
- Advised Liberty Global Transaction Solutions on Myanmar law aspects of the second-largest deal ever involving Myanmar assets – the sale of privately-held Irrawaddy Green Towers.
- Assisting Best Oil Company Limited with the structuring of a petroleum franchise.