DFDL Legal & Tax assists clients on energy and infrastructure projects in Myanmar, negotiating, structuring and managing large-scale power and oil and gas transactions. Elsewhere, the team boasts expertise in the aviation sector, advising on leasing mandates, financings and sales of aircraft. Team leader Nishant Choudhary advises on a broad range of projects concerning energy, infrastructure, telecoms, real estate and aviation, while Thida Aye is noted for her expertise in the aviation, energy and real estate sectors. Mar Mau Aung and Rohan Bishayee are also key contacts in the group.
Projects in Myanmar
Other key lawyers:
William Greenlee; Thida Aye; Mar Mau Aung; Rohan Bishayee
China Harbour Engineering Company
JX Nippon Oil and Gas Exploration
- Acting for JX Nippon Oil and Gas Exploration on the finalisation of their withdrawal/transfer of participating interest in the Yetagun Project, a major offshore gas field in the Andaman Sea.
Duane Morris & Selvam (Myanmar) Limited is noted for its ‘deep expertise‘ in major projects in the energy and real estate sectors, advising multinational corporations, regulators and government-owned entities, with additional experience advising on development, infrastructure and PPP projects. The firm’s global network of offices across enables the team to act on cross-border issues relating to US, Singapore, Chinese and English law. Priyank Srivastava, who focuses on oil and gas and LNG matters, jointly leads the group alongside Leon Yee, who acts for high-profile clients, including private equity funds, investment banks and listed companies.
Leon Yee; Priyank Srivastava
‘The team is fabulous and has deep expertise across a wide range of industries.’
‘Priyank Srivastava is able to balance commercial and legal considerations in all his advice and engagement with us.’
Khaing Lon Gems (YIG Group)
Goldman Investment Int Holdings
State Bank of India
Beijing Deheng, Sichuan Petroleum and Natural Gas Construction Engineering Co.
Crown Agent Bank
Shwe Min Gan Finance Company
Indraprashta Gas Limited
The Nature Conservancy
GreatWall Food Stuff Industry Company Limited
- Advising a PRC company on its approx. USD 100 million housing/commercial development project and joint-venture matters with a Myanmar conglomerate.
- Advising a Singapore oil and gas retail holding company with its expansion plans in Southeast Asia.
- Advised an Indian state-owned bank with review and finalization of a corporate guarantee from a Singapore company.
Myanmar Legal MHM Limited handles a broad range of domestic and cross-border matters concerning infrastructure and energy, as well as project financings, and is well-placed to leverage its expertise in Myanmar, English, Japanese and Thai law. Takeshi Mukawa, who focuses on infrastructure, energy and financing for projects, investments and M&A, jointly leads the team alongside Kana Manabe, who handles joint venture projects in the health, infrastructure, real estate, logistics and manufacturing sectors.
Takeshi Mukawa; Kana Manabe
Other key lawyers:
Khin Cho Kyi; Win Naing; Atsushi Inoue
Kirin Holdings Company, Limited
Myanmar Agro Exchange Public Company Limited
CB Bank PCL
AEON Mall Co., Ltd.
Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company Limited
Wacoal Holdings Corp.
Nippon Life Insurance Company
Tokio Marine Asia Pte Ltd
Toyota Myanmar Co., Ltd.
- Advising CB Bank PCL on the preparation of standard form documentation for its day-to-day lending transactions, and providing training on the use of the documents by its employees, a project that will develop the basis for the client’s lending business.
Allen & Gledhill (Myanmar) Co., Ltd assists on project-related matters across the infrastructure, energy and real estate sectors, and is well-placed to leverage its connection with Allen & Gledhill LLP's network to advise on domestic and cross-border mandates. Key clients include local conglomerates, organisations and multinationals. Managing partner Minn Naing Oo acts for international clients and government agencies on infrastructure projects, while Lee Jun Yee regularly assists clients in cross-border project finance matters relating to telecoms, powers and ports.
Minn Naing Oo
Other key lawyers:
Lee Jun Yee
‘A multi-faceted, multi-skilled, diverse team with a broad range of expertise and the only full-service firm one would need for the Myanmar market. It is a trusted adviser.’
‘Minn Naing Oo is an extremely seasoned multi-jurisdiction-qualified lawyer, who is an absolute asset where Myanmar legal expertise is concerned.’
- Advising The New Yangon Development Co., Ltd. as transaction counsel, on the US$1.5 billion phase 1 development of the New Yangon City in the western Yangon region of Myanmar.
- Advising CECA Gold Company Limited on the development of a liquefied petroleum gas receiving, tanking, storage and bottling facility in Kyauk Tan Township Thilawa, Myanmar.
Counting domestic infrastructure companies among its key roster of clients, Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited handles a broad range of energy, infrastructure, construction and real estate matters. In the firm's Singapore office, Chester Toh, who handles licensing and regulatory matters, jointly leads the practice alongside Yangon-based Min Thein, who acts for foreign investors on entry into the Myanmar market. Myo Thant Swe, who was promoted to partner in January 2023, is another key contact in the group.
Chester Toh; Min Thein
Domestic and international clients turn to Tilleke & Gibbins for advice on energy, infrastructure and TMT projects, involving matters pertaining to foreign direct investments, private equity issues and joint ventures. Yuwadee Thean-Ngarm, who advises on chemicals, energy, logistics and manufacturing mandates, jointly leads the practice alongside Derrick Khoo, who is well-versed in foreign direct investments, real estate transactions and joint ventures.
Yuwadee Thean-Ngarm; Derrick Khoo
Brighter PTT Oil and Retail Business Company Limited
Meta / Facebook
Myanmar Information Highway
- Assisting Brighter PTT Oil and Retail Business Company Limited in a joint venture for the expansion of oil and gas retail businesses and a major regional café chain in Myanmar.
Counting financial institutions, developments banks, government and multinational enterprises among its key roster of clients, VDB Loi assists on projects in the energy, infrastructure and TMT arenas. Housing a team of local- and foreign-qualified lawyers, the team is well-placed to advise on issues that arise in clients' ventures. Edwin Vanderbruggen, who acts for government bodies on mandates concerning energy, transportation and telecoms, is a key contact in the team.
Edwin Vanderbruggen; Jean Loi; Maxim Kobzev; Aye Myat Thu; My Le; Anna Makosa
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise, specialised in the infrastructure sector, on legal matters and due diligence in relation to a project.