Projects in Myanmar
Allen & Gledhill (Myanmar) Co., Ltd is particularly well known in the Burmese power sector, and leverages the strengths of its banking, finance, and corporate teams to advise project sponsors and international financing institutions. Headed by Minn Naing Oo, the team is involved in significant developments of a variety of civil infrastructure projects including ports, roads and bridges, power and energy, and urban redevelopment. In addition to the project development work, the practice group also handles corporate transactions for clients in the projects and engineering space, which has recently included a unique cross-border transaction in the Burmese mining sector. A key figure in the banking and finance practice is Lee Jun Yee, who has experience in international commercial lending and capital markets work. The firm also has complementary strengths in dispute resolution and arbitration.
Minn Naing Oo
Other key lawyers:
Shwe Taung Cement Co., Ltd.
New Yangon Development Company Limited
EAP Global Mining Company Limited
- Acted for the Shwe Taung Group in a $35m equity investment by International Finance Corporation (IFC) and IFC Emerging Asia Fund LP, and a related $40m debt financing with IFC.
- Acting for New Yangon Development Company in the procurement and development of New Yangon City; a series of projects in central Yangon to combat overcrowding and facilitate urban development.
- Advised EAP Global Mining Company Limited on the acquisition of a 24.5% equity interest in Win Myint Mo Industries Company Limited.
DFDL Legal & Tax has partners with experience in finance and securities, M&A and general corporate work, tax, real estate, and commercial contracts; a combination of skills that enables end-to-end service for project contractors and international lenders. One of the first international advisers to open in Yangon, the firm has an established reputation among international law firms for handling complex work in Myanmar. Headed by William Greenlee, the energy, mining and infrastructure service group has remained active in conventional power and infrastructure projects, and has also been involved in some of the country's more recent real estate developments and mining projects. Nishant Choudhary is a key contact in the banking and finance team and Thida Aye has experience in the telecoms, aviation, real estate and energy sectors.
International Finance Corporation
Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation III (SEPCO 3)
- Acted for Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation III (SEPCO 3) as EPC contractor in the development of a new 145MW project in Kyaukse township in the Mandalay region of Myanmar.
- Advised a consortium of financial institutions (Clifford Capital, DBS, DZ, Overseas-Chinese Banking Corporation, and the multilateral lenders Asian Development Bank and International Finance Corporation) on the drafting and negotiation of all Myanmar law documentation for the largest-ever project financed power plant in Myanmar.
- Advising the IFC in relation to a new hydropower project.
VDB Loi is rated for its ability to handle complex project financing and development mandates involving international lenders and project companies in the telecoms, oil and gas, and renewables sectors. Spread across offices in Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw and Mandalay, the projects team significantly strengthened its project finance capabilities in 2018 with the hire of counsel Maxim Kobzev from White & Case LLC. Kobzev's background in Russia and experience with project financing transactions in emerging markets complements the existing pedigree of the team, which includes a number individuals who have practiced at prominent international firms. Managing partner Jean Loi is rated for her tax advice on energy and infrastructure projects throughout the ASEAN region, and Edwin Vanderbruggen has varied expertise in power and social infrastructure developments and oil and gas transactions, with a particular focus on international taxation.
Edwin Vanderbruggen; Jean Loi
Other key lawyers:
Maxim Kobzev; Charles Magdelaine
International Finance Corporation
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Japan Bank for International Cooperation
- Advising the IFC on the Yangon Elevated Expressway Public-Private Partnership.
- Represented the IFC on its $20m financing of METRO Wholesale Myanmar Limited.
Duane Morris & Selvam (Myanmar) Limited draws on the industry-wide expertise of partners in its Yangon, Hanoi, and Singapore offices to advise multinational, regional, and domestic energy and infrastructure companies on project construction and development, financing, and regulatory compliance. Managing partner Krishna Ramachandra practices across the firm's Yangon and Singapore offices, while special counsel Priyank Srivastava is the resident projects and energy specialist on the ground in Myanmar. Having gained recognition for its involvement in the Myingyan IPP, the team has notable experience in conventional power projects, and has also been involved in significant solar projects, water treatment projects and urban developments.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is resourceful and well-experienced and has developed a successful track records in prominent large scale projects in the power and energy, and infrastructure sectors.‘
‘They managed to effectively collaborate in a win-win scenario, enhancing the true spirit of cooperation towards the key project goals.‘
‘We were closely assisted by Priyank Srivastava. He provided tremendous insight into the industry and segment of works involved, which were crucial to enhance our success. He was a true business partner.‘
Ayeyar Hinthar Holdings Company Limited
ONGC Videsh Limited
SDCI (Myanmar) Co. Ltd.
Sembcorp Utilities Pte. Ltd.
- Advised a privately held Myanmar conglomerate, on the structuring option for its Pathein Industrial City project (“PIC Project”), which includes an international-scale industrial zone of 2700 hectares, a river port and a commercial and residential zone located in Pathein Township, Ayeyarwaddy Region.
- Advising ONGC Videsh Limited, an Indian multinational oil & gas company, on all aspects of regulatory and compliance matters, inter alia contractual matters with government authorities and third party service providers in relation to gas blocks in Myanmar.
- Advising Sembcorp Utilities, in conjunction with the Hanoi office, on its $250m financing of its gas fired power plant project in Myingyan, Myanmar.
- Advising SDCI (Myanmar), in conjunction with the Hanoi office, on all aspects of regulatory and compliance matters as well as corporate secretarial work for its business in Myanmar.
According to its peers in the market, Mori Hamada & Matsumoto (Yangon) Limited is 'the leading firm for representing Japanese clients', though the team also handles a variety of inbound projects-related transactions for clients throughout the ASEAN region. The joint representative partners for the firm's Myanmar operations are Takeshi Mukawa, who practices across the firm's Yangon, Singapore and Tokyo offices, and Kana Manabe, who divides her time between Yangon and Singapore. Win Naing is one of the key full-time on-the-ground contacts in the Myanmar office.
Myanmar Legal Services Limited
The choice domestic law partners for some of the world's largest international firms, Myanmar Legal Services Limited is regularly instructed to handle the Myanmar law aspects of some of the country's most high-profile energy and infrastructure projects. Khin Cho Kyi is the key contact.
Khin Cho Kyi
WongPartnership Myanmar Ltd. has been heavily active in the Myanmar's recent real estate boom, where it has advised design contractors, telecoms providers, and a number of commercial real estate developers. The primary contact in the Yangon office is Suegene Ang, who regularly works alongside her colleagues in Singapore, including Christopher Chuah, who heads the firm's infrastructure, construction and engineering practice. The Myanmar team has been particularly active in hospitality real estate developments.
Apollo Towers Holdings Limited
Singapore Airlines Limited
Andaman Alliance Healthcare Limited
Nexland Company Limited
Enterprise Singapore, Yangon Overseas Centre
United Overseas Bank Limited, Yangon Branch
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited, Yangon Branch
Pan Pacific Hospitality Pte. Ltd.
Keppel Land Limited
DBS Yangon Representative Office
DSV Air & Sea Limited
- Advising Andaman Alliance Healthcare Limited agreements for its development of a hospital in Yangon.
- Advising a property management and development company in Myanmar, on corporate, contractual, regulatory and compliance matters, including the drafting and negotiation of a Memorandum of Understanding with a Taiwanese company for the development and provision of international data centre facilities and services in Myanmar.
- Providing Burmese legal assistance in relation to a mixed use development in Myanmar.
ZICO Law acts primarily for engineering companies, services and logistics providers, and other contractors in urban development and mixed-use projects and conventional power projects. In addition, the team is instructed by a state-owned enterprise in the transport sector, which it is advising on a significant urban redevelopment project. A key figure in the practice group is Maung Maung Thein, who has a storied career spanning the public and private sectors and has played a major role in the development and liberalisation of the country's insurance market and stock exchange. Also recommended is Geraldine Oh, who has handled cross-border investment transactions and project developments in the telecoms, hospitality and energy sectors.
Maung Maung Thein; Geraldine Oh
Thilawa Property Development Ltd
- Advising Thilawa Property Development, a subsidiary of Myanmar Thilawa SEZ Holdings (the master- developer for a 396 hectare land in Zone A of the Thilawa Special Economic Zone), on the development of its entire fibre-optics infrastructure within Zone A.
Lucy Wayne & Associates, Ltd
Lucy Wayne & Associates, Ltd provides a huge variety of corporate, financing and commercial law services. The firm is headed by foreign registered lawyer Lucy Wayne and also includes U Win Naing, who together have experience advising on a range of projects including power, real estate and social infrastructure developments.
Other key lawyers:
Rajah & Tann Myanmar Company Limited has strong corporate and litigation teams with experience assisting project companies with the development and financing of major commercial real estate developments, urban redevelopment projects, and transport and port infrastructure. The Myanmar team also works closely with its colleagues in Singapore, Japan, Thailand, and other East Asian jurisdictions.
Other key lawyers:
Chester Toh; U Nyein Kyaw; Min Thein
Thanlwin Legal has relationships with a range of prolific Chinese companies and lenders, and is thus well-placed to advise on infrastructure developments funded by what is the most active foreign investor in Myanmar. Headed by Mariano Suarez, the team has a range of legal expertise in tax, planning, construction, commercial lending, and general corporate work, all of which it brings together to serve the power, energy, and telecoms sectors. Chin-Po Tseng and Shu Yuan Chen are addition contacts in Yangon.