At Clifford Chance LLP the team leverages its strength across sectors and jurisdictions to achieve success in a wide range of complex, often high-profile disputes. At international leadership level, Jeremy Kosky is a name to note, along with Julian Acratopulo, notably acting for Airbus in the highly-publicised Qatar Airway proceedings. In London, Helen Carty leads the litigation and dispute resolution team, with specialist knowledge of financial institutions, regulatory investigations, and disciplinary proceedings. Maxine Mossman is another recommended practitioner, as is Chris Yates and Jeremy Sandelson. James Cranston is ‘terrifically clever‘ and ‘massively tactically astute‘, and is noted along with ‘excellent solicitor‘ senior associate Christina Schuetz.
Firms in the Spotlight Commercial litigation: premium
Ronald Fletcher Baker LLP
Ronald Fletcher Baker has an established track record of success in even the most complex cases. Litigation and Dispute Resolution has been a focus of the firm since its inception in 1948, and our highly experienced team is widely recognised for its skill in this area. The firm deals with a broad range of commercial …View Profile...
Commercial litigation: premium in London
Jeremy Kosky; Julian Acratopulo
Other key lawyers:
Helen Carty; Jeremy Sandelson; Maxine Mossman; Chris Yates; Haafiz Suleman; James Cranston; Christina Schuetz; Guy Burkitt
This is an absolutely Rolls Royce litigation practice. They have strength in depth, both at partner level and below. They are fully committed to their client’s cause. The partners ‘live’ their client’s concerns and come up with clever and creative solutions. Totally outstanding.’
‘I have been instructed by CC in a wide range of high-profile disputes in each of the categories above, including covid-related business interruption claims.
‘Maxine Mossman is massively brainy, produces superb documents, and is a delight to work with.’
‘Chris Yates is the perfect sports lawyer – he loves the industry, works harder than anyone, is a great lawyer, and is charm personified. He’s a winner, what more could you want.’
‘Julian Acratopulo is the full package: highly intelligent, an outstanding team-leader, a great tactician, and he strikes the fear of God into the opposition.
‘James Cranston is terrifically clever, he produces first-rate documents, he’s massively tactically astute, and he’s enormously hard-working. A total superstar.’
‘Christina Schuetz is an excellent solicitor, and a deeply experienced arbitration practitioner. If you’ve got a complex arbitration, you want her on your team.’
Dr Mike Lynch
News Group Newspapers Limited
Citibank N.A. and Citibank UK Limited.
Manchester City Football Club Limited
Marks & Clerk
- Represented Airbus in two sets of proceedings being heard together, commenced by Qatar Airways against Airbus in the Technology and Construction Court (KBD) in December 2021 and February 2022.
- Acting for EE in a high-profile claim brought by Quinn Emanuel on behalf of the administrators of Phones 4U (“P4U”), the now-defunct mobile phone retailer, against a range of mobile network operators (EE, Vodafone, O2, Orange and Deutsche Telekom) for breaches of Article 101(1) TFEU/Chapter I of the Competition Act 1998 and for breach of contract.
- Advising Glencore plc in defence of claims brought by over 400 institutional shareholders, alleging that shareholders suffered multi-billion sterling losses as a result of statements made to the investing public.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The team at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is the ‘top choice for litigation of significant value, strategic importance or complexity’, covering the whole gamut from general commercial disputes to more specialist areas, including insurance disputes, with a dedicated international arbitration practice. The firm is particularly well placed to see clients through the energy transition, and provides a comprehensive service for its clients through alternative legal services businesses within the firm’s international offices. Paul Lewis, previously the head of the insurance disputes practice at the firm, has recently replaced Damien Byrne Hill as managing partner of the disputes practice, with the latter returning to full-time practice. Alan Watts is another key name at leadership level, acting as the head of both global class actions, and UK commercial litigation. The ‘excellent technical knowledge’ of the team is thanks in part to dual-qualified Julian Copeman, Natasha Johnson, Andrew Cooke, and solicitor advocate Rachel Lidgate. Of counsel Catherine Emanuel is another key figure in the team, with specific expertise in class actions.
Paul Lewis; Alan Watts
Other key lawyers:
Chris Bushell; Damien Byrne Hill; Julian Copeman; Natasha Johnson; Andrew Cooke; Rachel Lidgate; Catherine Emanuel; Stephen Wisking; Neil Blake
‘Unique strength in depth for UK dispute resolution, including expertise in numerous specialist areas.’
‘Chris Bushell – extensive experience of shareholder claims under FSMA despite this being a new area of law.’
‘I have been seriously impressed by their capabilities. They have a strong litigation and competition litigation offering, from junior associate level through to partners. They are able to get up to speed with issues quickly and understand our products at a deep level. It is refreshing to find associates that are as knowledgeable about the law and procedure as the partners.’
AerCap Ireland Limited
Certain of the non-executive directors of Carillion
CNH Industrial, Iveco Group N.V. and Stellantis (together “Iveco”)
Post Office Limited
RSA Insurance Group Limited
J.D. Williams & Company Limited
- Supporting to AerCap Ireland Limited in relation to recovery actions against airline lessees and guarantors relating to the loss of aircraft and engines in Ukraine and Russia following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the imposition of international sanctions.
- Acting as advisors to certain of the former non-executive directors of Carillion plc in relation to director disqualification proceedings brought by the Secretary of State. The liquidation of Carillion was extremely high profile and is continuing to attract significant publicity, including as a result of related parliamentary select committee investigations, FCA and FRC investigations and a civil claim by the Official Receiver against Carillion’s former auditors KPMG.
- Advising Iveco as UK competition litigation counsel in relation to follow-on damages claims stemming from the European Commission’s settlement decision in Trucks, one of the most high profile competition infringement and follow-on damages cases in Europe. Currently there are in excess of 30 claims in the UK including two proposed Collective Proceedings Orders under the UK’s regime for collective redress in competition cases.
The widely lauded team at Hogan Lovells International LLP advises on high-profile, complex, and precedent-setting cases with ‘outstanding experience and capabilities.’ The team consists of a number of ‘innovative and creative thinkers’ including Michael Roberts who leads the team, with extensive experience in the commercial court. Senior partner Chris Hardman continues to act on many precedent-setting matters undertaken by the team. ‘Real heavyweight’ Kevin Lloyd is a standout practitioner in the team, commended for his ‘great judgement and unmatched tenacity’. ‘First class’ Alex Sciannaca is another key name in the team, having acted recently for the London Metal Exchange on a high-profile judicial review. ‘Pleasure to deal with’ Neil Mirchandani, ‘outstanding lawyer’ Ivan Shiu, and Akima Paul Lambert are all also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Hardman; Kevin Lloyd; Alex Sciannaca; Neil Mirchandani; Alex Sciannaca; Ivan Shiu; Akima Paul Lambert; Danny Knowles; Richard Lewis; Rebecca Wales
‘The team has outstanding experience and capability. Their tactical acumen is first class. Their advice is positive and definitive – they don’t shy away from giving a firm view on prospects. They are excellent board-level advisers. Hugely polished and credible, they will not let you down.’
‘Innovative and creative thinkers, true strength in depth across all areas of commercial litigation and in particular civil fraud but also more generally. A great team to work with on a personal level, and unusually strong bench within the associates as well as at partner level.’’
‘Kevin Lloyd is a leader, with huge experience and gravitas, and yet also a willingness to roll up his sleeves and get into the detail. A real heavyweight, with great judgement and unmatched tenacity, whether litigating or doing a deal.’
‘Alex Sciannaca is first class – very collaborative in his approach, very responsive, extremely clear in his thinking and advice.’
‘Neil Mirchandani is a pleasure to deal with, great with people in a way not always found with heavyweight litigators. Likeable whilst still a tough opponent.’
‘I have worked closely with Ivan Shiu for the last two years and think that he is an outstanding lawyer with good judgment and the ability to guide clients through a difficult situation.’
‘John Tillman is a great lawyer. He is calm in a crisis, focused, and has excellent judgment.’
‘Senior Associate and rising star Danny Knowles is an outstanding intellect. Already comfortable driving the debate with KCs and senior counsel, he manages to play an elevated role with the disarming charm of a senior partner. He has outstanding matter management skills and can be trusted to handle delicate matters single-handed. Crisp, clear and wonderfully capable; one to watch.’
British American Tobacco (BAT) Industries Plc and its subsidiary BTI 2014 LLC (BTI)
Salesforce Inc. and Salesforce (UK) Limited
The London Metal Exchange
FTP Group (Telecom) Limited
Sergiy Taruta and Dargamo Holdings Limited
JSC CB PrivatBank
- Representing BAT/BTI in a complex auditor negligence claim against PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) for $800 million.
- Representing the Kazakh mining company, ENRC, in connection with a range of unprecedented disputes relating to the acquisition of significant mining interests in the Democratic Republic of Congo and an internal investigation and “self-reporting” process with the Serious Fraud Office.
- Prevailed on behalf of LME concerning allegations by a group of US and UK hedge funds that the LME may have acted in bad faith in deciding to suspend the market and should produce all of its relevant internal documents to the applicants and provide an affidavit explaining its decision to close the market.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
The team at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP is described by a client as ‘by far the best London litigation team we have worked with’, with the firm’s experience ensuring it is frequently instructed on many of the most high-profile and complex disputes in the jurisdiction. Founding partner Richard East leads the team, with an extensive litigation and arbitration practice. Ted Greeno and Nick Marsh are both key names at senior level, with the latter commended for providing ‘extensive strategic advice’. Co-managing partner of the London office Alex Gerbi is noted in the team, for his vast experience acting for major corporates and high net-worth individuals. Aidan O’Rourke is ‘destined to become one of the litigation heavyweights in London’, with ‘excellent technical skills’.
Other key lawyers:
Marina Boterashvili; Nikolas Bruce-Smith; Ted Greeno; Nick Marsh; Alex Gerbi; Yasseen Gailani; Aidan O’Rourke
‘Excellent client service. Attention to detail and understanding of the matter is of an extremely high standard. Provide clear and solid advice and guidance on strategy and approach. Always deliver and present exceptionally well to a senior audience.’
‘Aidan O’Rourke – excellent technical skills, very thoughtful strategist through the litigation process.’
‘Nikolas Bruce- Smith is an excellent litigator and very personable. He has an excellent grasp of multiple complicated workstreams and facts.’
Phones 4U Limited
Navigator Equities Limited
Essar Capital Services; Essar Global Funds
HRH Prince Khaled Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and HRH Princess Deema Bint Sultan Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud
Allwyn International a.s. and Allwyn Entertainment Ltd
Jane Street Group, LLC
IBM United Kingdom Limited
Complex, cross-jurisdictional corporate litigation and group actions are mainstays of the ‘impressive and hard-working’ team at Slaughter and May that routinely acts for FTSE 100 clients. Recent successes of the team include its representation of Shell in the highly publicised ClientEarth matter, and acting for Credit Suisse in the ‘tuna bond scandal’. Richard Swallow leads the ‘first class’ team that is a ‘pleasure to deal with’. Peter Wickham is a key name in the team, advising across commercial litigation, investigations and regulatory matters, and commercial arbitration, with expertise in energy and natural resources, as well as group litigation. Smriti Sriram is noted as an ‘excellent lawyer and very good to work with’.
Other key lawyers:
Damian Taylor; Peter Wickham; Smriti Sriram; Camilla Sanger; Megan Sandler; Deborah Finkler; Holly Ware
‘The team are leaders in the area and well-integrated in the legal community, providing strong legal support in litigation matters.’
‘The partners take the time to consider questions and issues and so provide well-reasoned legal advice that accounts for nuances and complexities’
‘They show immense attention to detail and will go the extra mile to get the best possible result for their clients.’
‘Smriti Sriram is an excellent lawyer and very good to work with.’
‘The team is first class in terms of its general litigation capability and commercial outlook. A pleasure to deal with, the availability and commitment of the Slaughter &May team to obtain the best commercial outcome was unwavering.’
Credit Suisse AG, Credit Suisse International and Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited
British American Tobacco plc
Ministry of Defence
Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings PLC
Gemfields Group Limited, Gemfields Limited and Kagem Mining Limited
Virgin America TM Limited and Virgin Enterprises Limited
Aker BP ASA
- Acting for Credit Suisse in multiple claims arising from US$2 billion ‘tuna bond scandal’.
- Acting on a group claim brought by Malawian tobacco farmers, concerning allegations of child and forced labour on third party farms in Malawi.
- Advising bhp group plc and bhp group limited who are defendants to claims arising out of the collapse of the Fundão Dam in Brazil.
Allen & Overy LLP
The team at Allen & Overy LLP is ‘very commercially astute and responsive’, acting routinely for top-quality clients and blue-chip corporates. For one client, the team has ‘unsurpassed strength in depth‘, with the varying expertise of the department allowing it to act across all sectors. Calum Burnett leads ‘one of the top-tier litigation teams in London’, specialising in investigations and contentious regulatory work, alongside Arnondo Chakrabarti who has expertise in banking and finance. Susanna Charlwood has a practice covering shareholder and joint venture disputes, with specific expertise in navigating cyber incident responses, as well as civil fraud litigation. Noted practitioners within the team include ‘outstanding, client-focused litigators’ Jonathan Hitchin, counsel Sarah Garvey, and senior associate Sophie Pringle.
Calum Burnett; Arnondo Chakrabarti
Other key lawyers:
Jonathan Hitchin; Alice Englehart; Maeve Hanna; Susanna Charlwood; Sophie Pringle; Helen Biggin; Hugo Flaux; Sarah Garvey
‘Very commercially astute and responsive. In front of issues and always available.’
‘Jonathan Hitchen, Sarah Garvey, Sophie Pringle are all outstanding, client-focused litigators.’
‘Helen Biggin and Hugo Flaux provide insightful, practical and highly responsive advice.’
The Rangers Football Club Limited
Etihad Airways PJSC
Greensill Capital (UK) Limited
McCarthy & Stone PLC
Described by a client as a ‘disputes powerhouse’, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is well-versed in handling complex high-stakes matters for large blue-chip multinationals. ‘Great advocate and cross examiner’ Lord Peter Goldsmith KC leads the team that has particular experience in funds and private equity related work. Widely lauded Patrick Swain is key to the team, with extensive experience in shareholder disputes alongside commercial fraud claims and professional negligence litigation. ‘Brilliant commercial litigator’ Christopher Boyne is a 'trusted commercial advisor' to many of the clients of the practice. At associate level, ‘exceptionally smart, diligent, and creative’ Luke Duggan is recommended.
Lord Goldsmith KC
Other key lawyers:
Patrick Swain; Christopher Boyne; Natasha McCarthy; Luke Duggan; Hugo Farmer
‘The team is a disputes powerhouse. They have broad view and understanding of all angles of the dispute, which allow the team to suggest the most appropriate solutions and best options.’
‘Lord Goldsmith KC – nobody can rival his experience – remains a great advocate and cross examiner. He has built a top team, including another top quality partner, Christopher Boyne. He is also highly thought of and highly recommended.’
‘I work with Christopher Boyne and Hugo Farmer at Debevoise because they drive solutions that work and are the most commercial legal team I have worked with.’
‘Debevoise specialises in a very broad range of extremely high-value, complex disputes. Peter Goldsmith KC’s reputation, and the firm’s reputation in the US, together with their premium place in the market mean that they are exceptionally well-suited to handling very complex, high-value and high-profile disputes of all kinds for clients ranging from ultra high net worth individuals to blue chip companies, state entities and sovereign states.’
‘Christopher Boyne is excellent. He is a trusted commercial advisor to a number of high profile in-house counsel. He is also a brilliant commercial litigator who punches well above his weight in terms of seniority. As well as being super bright and very sensible in his judgment, he is an exceptional team leader who commands loyalty from his juniors and respect from both senior partners and opponents. ’
‘Luke Duggan is an associate to watch: exceptionally smart, diligent and creative.’
‘Top class team capable of handling the biggest and most complex disputes. Well led at partner level and great depth of quality associates who really add value.’
‘Christopher Boyne pays superb attention to detail and clarity in what he writes, often large documents holding together a range of complex information in a tight and readily understandable whole.’
Shell PLC and various Shell subsidiaries
The Hinduja family
Neoma Private Equity Fund
Gedeon Richter PLC
JLPS Leasing Draco Limited
Xio Fund 1 LP and associated Fund entities
Victor Pisante & associated investment companies
- Act for Shell in a number of high-profile litigations.
- Represent three members of the Hinduja family regarding claims regarding the status, meaning, and effect of two documents and their effect on the family’s significant business assets in the UK and abroad. The assets in question are worth multiple billions of US$.
- Advise NPEF IV in relation to claims in relation to various loans/investments made to Abraaj Holdings Limited and Abraaj Investment Management Limited, both of which are members of the Abraaj Group.
Linklaters LLP has ‘expertise across a broad range of specialisms’ with a team of almost 300 litigators internationally allowing the department to handle complex multijurisdictional disputes. Large corporates, leading banks, and government bodies instruct the department on a wide range of cases, with clients ‘in safe hands for the highest profile and most challenging commercial cases’. Alison Wilson leads the ‘outstanding partner team with real insight and commercial approach’. Tom Cassels is a key figure in the team, and ‘provides a calm but decisive hand on the tiller’. Marc Harvey is, for one client, ‘one of the best litigators in London’.
Alison Wilson; Tom Cassels; Marc Harvey
Other key lawyers:
Christa Band; Harriet Ellis; James Hennah; Daniel Nutley; Christopher Stevenson; Madeline Chan
‘Expertise across a broad range of specialisms. They always have the right person to consult internally if a niche and sensitive issue comes up.’
‘Tom Cassells, Chris Stevenson and Madeline Chan are an exceptionally responsive team and dovetail with our in-house team seamlessly, helping us with our stakeholder management’
‘Without question the best team of litigators with whom I have worked. Across all the details of the case, whilst at the same time overseeing the strategy and managing the many moving parts. Clients are in safe hands for the highest profile and most challenging commercial cases.’
‘Marc Harvey is one of the best litigators in London. A master tactician, great manager of a large legal team and, above all, a lawyer with impeccable judgement. Daniel Nutley is a star in the making. Calm, collected and across all of the details. A great manner with clients and the wider legal team.’
‘Tom Cassels provides a calm but decisive hand on the tiller.’
‘Outstanding partner team with real insight and commercial approach, backed by a great team of extremely consistent and great quality associates.’
‘Tom Cassels is an outstanding partner with real depth of experience and commercial nous. He consistently helps to simplify the very complex and clarify the mysterious.’
‘James Hennah is an excellent up and coming partner, providing measured, thoughtful advice and guiding us with great assurance through our claim.’
Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited
Telefónica S.A. and Telefonica O2 Holdings Limited
Equiti Capital UK Limited.
Independent Petroleum Group Limited (“IPG”)
Bulb Energy Limited
- Ddefending against a claim brought by the administrators of Phones 4U alleging that three UK-based Mobile Network Operators and their parent companies colluded with each other to procure a coordinated exit from contractual relationships with Phones 4U, leading to Phones 4U’s administration.
- Defending against High Court proceedings concerning knowing receipt of fees and commissions from a client of the brokerage which is alleged to have defrauded investors.
- Acted on a highly expedited judicial review against BEIS brought by several major UK energy companies, in what is the first case involving an energy supply company being put into litigation, and one of the few cases concerning the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
Simmons & Simmons
The highly regarded practitioners at Simmons & Simmons have ‘real expertise on almost any matter’, advising prominent corporates, professional service firms, and financial institutions on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes. Head of the team Patrick Boylan ‘provides excellent service’ for his industry-leading clients, and is noted for being ‘very hard-working with fabulous judgement’, while Ian Hammond is acting in the highly publicised Hewlett Packard proceedings, in the largest fraud claim to date brought against individual defendants in English courts. Other names to note within the team include Kirsten Kitt, who is ‘on top of the detail of any matter’, and TMT specialist Minesh Tanna, recognised for his specific expertise in AI. At associate level, ‘absolutely indispensable’ Eleanore Di Claudio is commended for her ‘approachable, affable, and very hard-working’ nature.
Other key lawyers:
William Dunning; Ian Hammond; Kirsten Kitt; Minesh Tanna; Eleanore Di Claudio
‘Very strong teams from top to bottom (the ‘doers’ at the bottom are just as important as the partner managing the case and Simmons get that).’
‘Patrick Boylan and William Dunning (associate) are stand out performers.’
‘The team I am working with is headed up by Patrick Boylan, who is excellent. The way the firm runs competition litigation is excellent, with lawyers from both the competition team and the dispute resolution team. This allows for the team to provide the client with outstanding expertise in both substantive competition law and the trial process’
The O1 Group
National Car Parks Ltd
Abraaj Investment Management Limited and Abraaj Capital Limited
- Representing Sushovan Hussain in the USD 5 billion claim brought by Hewlett-Packard arising out of alleged fraudulent misrepresentations made about the financial state of the FTSE listed Autonomy Corporation – one of the largest fraud claims to come before the English Court.
- Representing a prominent Saudi businessman in a multi-million-dollar High Court claim against an entity established by his brother, relating to the ownership and control of a significant proportion of their late father’s estate.
- Representing three former shareholders in the defence of a high-value claim concerning allegations of fraud, bribery and unlawful means conspiracy.
The widely lauded team at Stephenson Harwood is described as ‘really experienced and technically excellent’ by one client, with the practice fielding particular strength in cross-border disputes. Large corporate, joint venture, and partnership disputes across the energy, financial services, shipping, aviation, and real estate sectors are mainstays of the practice. At leadership level, ‘knowledgeable’ head of team Richard Garcia routinely ‘seeks to go the extra miles for his clients’. ‘Force of nature’ Sue Millar is a key name to note, as are ‘absolute star’ Genevieve Quierin and ‘extremely clever and astute’ Stephen Ashley, with Millar recognised for her impressive sanctions-related expertise. The team has grown significantly with the arrival with Dan Smith from Latham & Watkins in June 2022, Michael Bywell from Hausfeld & Co LLP in January 2023, and Peter Dalton from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP in February 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Sue Millar; Genevieve Quierin; Stephen Ashley; Dan Smith; Michael Bywell; Peter Dalton; Guy Harper; Chris Pettett
‘The team are really experienced and technically excellent. They are responsive and diligent.’
‘Richard Garcia is a knowledgeable partner who is on top of the issues and will seek to go the extra miles for his clients.’
‘Sue Millar is a force of nature. The inspiring leader and brilliant litigator Stephen Ashley is an extremely clever and astute lawyer.’
‘Genevieve Quierin is an absolute star with a remarkable appetite for detail while maintaining a clear sense of overall strategy.’
‘Stephenson Harwood is a premier city firm outstanding in all departments no doubt, but I have particular experience of them in commercial litigation, sanctions and banking.’
‘Clever, thoughtful people. Very responsive and down to earth. They make you feel like you’re their most important client, even though they must have many more.’
‘Genevieve Quierin stands out as a first-rate lawyer.’
‘Sue Millar and Stephen Ashurst are stand out practitioners – responsive, strategic and technically excellent.’
Multiple group claimants including Bet365, the Intercontinental Hotel Group, Hilton Hotels Levi Strauss
Primer Design Limited
XiO Cayman Limited
Alpha Bank Cyprus Ltd, Bank of Cyprus Public Company Limited
Former majority shareholders of Yukos
Anglia Maltings (Holdings) Limited
British Polythene Industries Limited
Peak Hotels and Resorts Limited (in liquidation) and its Joint Liquidators
RCI Financial Services Ltd
Civica UK Limited
- Represent over 1,600 corporate claimants within the financial services, hospitality, leisure, retail, arts, ticketing, online betting, financial services and several other sectors in Europe-wide group claims brought against Mastercard and Visa.
- Acting on behalf of Primer Design Limited and its listed French parent company, Novacyt S.A. in defending a contractual claim brought by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and pursuing our client’s counterclaim to recover sums. Both claims arise out of a +£150m commercial contract to supply Covid-19 testing kits, instruments and other services.
- Acting for XiO Cayman Limited, an entity within the XiO Group. The XiO Group has been the subject of multiple proceedings in Hong Kong, Cayman, Nevis and London relating to corporate control and ownership of the group, the source and beneficial ownership of the assets held by the group and the contractual entitlements of the managers, employees and service providers.
Being described by clients ‘excellent in all ways, and a real pleasure to work with’, the full-service dispute resolution practice at Travers Smith LLP is equipped to handle highly complex cases. Cases with a cross-border component are regularly undertaken by the team, as are high-profile cases, with the team notably having been entrusted to act on the high-profile Hewlett-Packard tech-related fraud trial. Rob Fell brings his ‘fantastic knowledge and experience’ to lead the ‘absolutely first-rate’ team that consists of financial services expert Caroline Edwards, who also co-heads the firm’s competition litigation practice. Also of note is ‘very reliable, accurate, and clever’ Alexa Day, ‘up-and-coming star’ Stephanie Lee, and the ‘exceptional team’ of Toby Robinson, Andrew King, and Polly Richard.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Edwards; Alexa Day; Stephanie Lee; Toby Robinson; Andrew King; Polly Richard; Heather Gagen
‘Toby Robinson, Andrew King and Polly Richard make an exceptional team. They are also, individually, very capable and hard-working commercial litigators.’
‘Absolutely first-rate. Punch well above their weight and are a match for any magic-circle firm.’
‘Stephanie Lee is an up-and-coming star, and one to watch for the future.’
‘Excellent in all ways and a real pleasure to work with. Able, team-focused and client-driven.’
‘They are a strong team across the board; Toby Robinson is an outstanding litigator.’
‘Alexa Day is very reliable, accurate and clever.’
‘The team is a stand-out in the market. They resource effectively, prepare a case diligently, and give clear and strategic advice to the client.’
‘Rob Fell – fantastic knowledge and experience, very good with clients, reassuring.’
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
A prominent private equity house (“PEH”) and its portfolio company (“OpCo”)
Stena Line Ltd
- Represent Hewlett-Packard group companies (HP), the Claimants in proceedings arising out of HP’s $11 billion acquisition of Autonomy Corporation plc, a FTSE 100 software company, in 2011. Mr Justice Hildyard’s judgment in HP’s favour was handed down on 17 May 2022.
- Led the defence and subsequent settlement of two separate sets of proceedings against Camellia plc and two of its English subsidiaries involving novel “parent company liability” claims concerning alleged human rights abuses in the operations of two overseas subsidiaries of the Camellia group in Kenya and Malawi respectively.
- Acted for PEH and OpCo (a tech company incorporated in Israel) in relation to a shareholder dispute involving the founder and minority shareholder of OpCo (the “Founder”).
Offering a ‘top notch Rolls-Royce dispute resolution service’, White & Case LLP is acting for household names and blue-chip global corporates on precedent-setting cases. The team’s work for UK Finance in the landmark Philipp v Barclays Bank case in the Supreme Court is indicative of their strength. ‘Very sure and experienced’ Lawson Caisley leads the team, having been involved in the most high-profile corporate and commercial disputes for years. Also of note is Charles Balmain, with expertise in private and public company litigation, as well as a wide range from shareholder disputes to contentious corporate and sovereign debt restructurings. Swati Tripathi and Will Corbett-Graham are recognised for their ‘exceptional legal knowledge, sound judgement, and deep commitment to their clients’.
Other key lawyers:
Charles Balmain; Rory Hishon; Jenna Rennie; Swati Tripathi; Will Corbett-Graham
‘A really first-rate approach. The whole team goes the extra mile for the client at all times.’
‘Lawson Caisley is very sure and experienced litigator who supervises the team with aplomb.’
‘Strong reputation particularly in new media and tech company disputes.’
‘Rory Hishon – outstandingly able, thoughtful, tirelessly hard-working. Jenna Rennie – good strategist.’
‘White and Case offer a top-notch Rolls-Royce dispute resolution service which combines quality, excellent people, deep insight and excellence in work.’
‘Special mention to Swati Tripathi and William Corbett-Graham for their exceptional legal knowledge, sound judgment and deep commitment to their clients. They stand out particularly for their infallible judgment.’
‘The team is fantastic. The are open to adapting their way of working depending on the customer demands, including with synergy among other lawyers form foreigner firms. This has been a key factor for our achievements of success in our very complex case.’
‘The individuals are very polite and have high level skills. From the interns to the senior partners. They make me feel secure and very well guided in legal terms.’
Meta Platforms Inc.
UK Export Finance
Petrobras Brasiliero SA
Greensill Bank AG
Bertha UK Limited
Adler Group S.A.
- Representing Vale S.A. in the landmark proceedings before the English Courts arising out of Brazil’s worst ever environmental disaster, the collapse of the Fundao Dam in 2015 –the largest group claim in English legal history, involving at least 200,000 claimants.
- Representing UK Finance, the official trade body of the banking and finance industry in the United Kingdom, which has been granted permission to intervene in the appeal to the UK Supreme Court in the Philipp v Barclays case.
- Serving as Meta’s primary outside counsel for a large portfolio of the company’s thousands of international litigation, pre-litigation, class actions and regulatory matters spanning more than 150 jurisdictions, across six continents.
The ‘stellar’ team at Addleshaw Goddard consists of ‘brilliant lawyers,’ who are also ‘practical and pragmatic’. The team acts on high-value complex disputes, often internationally, with expertise across an array of sectors, including telecommunications, banking and financial services, retail, oil and gas, and retail. For one client, the ‘agile and innovative way in which the team acts’ is commendable. ‘Experienced, measured, and calm under pressure’ Mark Molyneux leads the team as global head of disputes, advising corporates, financial institutions, and high net-worth individuals on disputes related to fraud, competition, contract termination, warranty claims, and disputes with subcontractors and suppliers. Natasha Winter ‘punches above her weight’ and is integral to the practice, as is Lauren Hamilton. Also of note are ‘trust adviser’ Jon Tweedale, ‘outstanding lawyer’ Alex Hogarth, and ‘stand-out associate’ Tom Walmsley.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Chesher; Natasha Winter; Lauren Hamilton; Jon Tweedale; Alex Hogarth; Tom Walmsley
‘Partner Jon Tweedale is our go-to external lawyer on tricky contractual issues.He is very quick, has excellent interpersonal skills and is also fun to work with. We rate him very highly.’
‘Tom Walmsley is a stand out associate for us. He is extremely diligent and completely in tune with the client’s needs. We are always very happy when Tom is on the team.’
‘The Commercial Litigation Team at Addleshaw Goddard are stellar. They are brilliant lawyers but also practical and pragmatic. Driven at finding a commercial solution. They work collaboratively as a team which really helps from a client perspective, to ensure you are getting the best advice from the right people.’
‘Natasha Winter, punches above her weight. She is great and definitely one to watch. Mark Molenyeux remains an influential figure in the team, and rightly so. He is experienced, measured and calm under pressure.’
‘Potential clients would be particularly keen to know about the agile and innovative way in which the team has acted for clients in pursuing interim and injunctive relief in support of high profile clients facing difficult supply chain pressures resulting in disputes. They would be keen to know about the team’s sector acumen in areas in which I have previously had direct experience working with them – especially aviation and life sciences.’
‘Alex Hogarth is an oustanding lawyer.’
‘Mark Chesher is an important player in commercial disputes in the life sciences sector.’
Soteria Insurance Limited (formerly CIS General Insurance Limited)
British International Investment plc (formerly CDC Group plc) and Michael Turner
Lidl Great Britain Ltd
Tagco BC and Waterland Private Equity Fund VI CV
Langston Corporation and Mr Samir-Georges Hammam
Dassault Aviation SA
Sanne Group Nominees 1 (UK) Limited
- Acting for Soteria Insurance Limited against IBM in its successful appeal on the correct interpretation of an exclusion clause, leading to the CA increasing the award at first insurance from £13 million to £80.5 million (before interest and costs).
- Acting for CDC and Michael Turner defending a $200m Commercial Court claim brought by Crane Bank Limited (a Ugandan bank) for unlawful means conspiracy, dishonest assistance and knowing receipt alleged to arise from the acquisition of Crane Bank’s assets by DFCU Bank Limited (DFCU).
Ashurst has an ‘excellent litigation team’ that specialises in acting on complex commercial disputes, with litigation spanning ESG, data privacy, group litigation, and crypto matters. The ‘Rolls Royce commercial litigation team’ is led by Jon Gale, notably acting on one of the largest claims related to the high-profile Trucks cartel case. ‘Star of the future’ Sophie Law is a key senior associate in the team, and is integral to the development of the firm’s commercial litigation practice, particularly in the areas of data breach and ESG litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Bromwich; Tim West; Sophie Law; Tom Duncan
‘Rolls Royce commercial litigation firm.’
‘Tom Duncan is unflappable and highly efficient.
‘Sophie Law is a star of the future — incredibly bright and diligent.’
Imperial Brands PLC
Punter Southall Group Limited
GSH Private Investments
Crypton Digital Assets Limited
Blue International Holdings Limited
Close Brothers Asset Management
Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited
Virgin Media O2
- Leading the defence for Imperial Brands PLC in relation to a claim brought by over 10,000 tobacco farmers and their families in Malawi concerning: in tort – for negligence and conversion; and in restitution – for unjust enrichment.
- Represented Crypton in a High Court claim against Blockchain SA and several other Defendants concerning a cryptocurrency trading platform. The claim was for infringement of copyright in Crypton’s software as well as various other causes of action such as breach of confidence; breach of fiduciary duty; and dishonest assistance and unlawful means conspiracy.
- Advising on all aspects of corporate litigation in relation to a claim brought against Punter Southall Group Limited (and others) for unfair prejudice by the former CEO and shareholder of a subsidiary company.
‘Good old-fashioned client service’ is provided for clients by Baker McKenzie‘s commercial litigation practice, described by one as ‘technically brilliant with real depth of strength at all levels’. The multi-jurisdictional capabilities of the team allow it to act frequently on cross-border disputes, with ‘multinational experts across numerous jurisdictions’. Leading the team is ‘phenomenally tactically astute’ Hugh Lyons, who acts for corporates, financial institutions, and insolvency practitioners. Marc Thorley leverages his experience working in both London and Hong Kong to provide comprehensive advice for clients. Noted practitioners within the team include Marc Florent and Francesca Richmond.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Florent; John Leadley; Francesca Richmond; Marc Thorley
‘Technically brilliant with real depth of strength at all levels. The partners and associates work well together – there is a real sense of team.’
‘The larger-than-life Hugh Lyons is phenomenally tactically astute and a brilliant technical lawyer.’
‘Good old-fashioned client service.’
Dr Winston Wong
Dubai Islamic Bank PJSC
JJW Hotels & Resorts UK Holdings Limited
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Issa Al Jaber
Abdullah Nasser Bin Obaid
Schlumberger Oilfield UK PLC
Colt Technology Services
- Acted for the Aapico Group in a complex dispute with the Sakthi Group regarding a joint venture involving a global automobile parts manufacturer.
- Defended litigation pursued by Crypton Digital Assets Limited and Crypton Partner Management Limited to recover damages said to result from the collapse of a proposed acquisition.
- Acted for BNPP in connection with a complex bond claim against Uro, a Spanish property holding company.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
The much-lauded team at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton delivers ‘real partner experience and expertise’, with an integrated practice across Europe, US, Latin America, and Asia allowing the team to handle complex multijurisdictional matters. Major corporates, financial institutions, and sovereigns rely on the team. Jonathan Kelly leads the department, with expertise in antitrust and competition, banking and financial services, regulatory enforcement, and private equity complementing his pure commercial disputes knowledge. ‘Very experienced’ Sunil Gadhia has vast experience in domestic and foreign courts, and is integral to the team along with ‘incredibly pragmatic’ Naomi Tarawali, and ‘super bright, super efficient, and highly energetic’ James Brady-Banzet.
Other key lawyers:
Sunil Gadhia; Naomi Tarawali; James Brady-Banzet; James Norris-Jones
‘On every case and whatever its value, real partner experience and expertise is brought to bear. The associates are also incredibly bright, and the work product I see is always of a high standard.’
‘Sunil Gadhia is a very experienced partner who makes an incredible effort on every case, tests and exploits every possible angle, and brings clients with him by spending the time to properly explain, persuade and advice.’
‘James Brady is super bright, super efficient and highly energetic. Gives great realistic and commercial advice, but is also great at spotting difficult or interesting points, and isn’t afraid of a fight.’
“K” Line (Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd)
Sanjay Chandi and Prashant Manek
Ness Global Services
Idemia France SAS
- Acted as Counsel to “K” Line, the Japanese transportation company, in defending claims by the car manufacturer Volkswagen AG in the High Court for damages arising out of competition law infringements in the maritime car carriers sector.
- Acted as Counsel to “K” Line, the Japanese transportation company, in defending collective proceedings in the Competition Appeal Tribunal brought by Mark McLaren Class Representative Limited for damages arising out of competition law infringements in the maritime car carriers sector.
- Acted as Counsel to LG Display in connection with a claim for contribution by Samsung relating to a settlement with Ingram Micro of a follow-on damages claim relating to the European Commission’s 2010 LCD infringement decision.
The widely esteemed practitioners at CMS form a ‘first-class team packed with talented individuals at all levels of seniority’. The ‘lean, efficient, and highly professional outfit’ has particular TMT expertise, notably advising IBM UK and Microsoft Corporation. ‘Dynamic, charismatic and brilliant‘ Ben Trust leads the team, along with Steven Corney. ‘Heavyweight commercial litigation partner’ David Bridge routinely handles complex M&A and shareholder disputes, with ‘strong litigator with good judgement’ Kenny Henderson playing a important role in the team. Also of note is ‘highly experienced master strategist’ Guy Pendell, ‘pragmatic and strategically astute’ Jeremy Marsh.
Ben Trust; Steven Corney
Other key lawyers:
David Bridge; Kenny Henderson; Guy Pendell; Jeremy Marsh; Tim Sales; Tom Sandeman; Luke Pardey; Louise Boswell; Zainab Hodgson Keating
‘A first-class team packed with talented individuals at all levels of seniority that blend together well to operate as effective teams, delivering good outcomes for clients.’
‘Tim Sales is a stellar partner. He has a first class legal brain, commercial common sense and great instincts. Tom Sandeman is a very experienced senior associate and partner in waiting.’
‘Guy Pendell is a hugely experienced master strategist, who is always thinking several steps ahead. Luke Pardey combines a very commercial, client-friendly manner with an excellent legal mind and a keen eye for finding ways to win.’
Jaguar Land Rover
Slater & Gordon
Sports Information Services Limited (SIS)
- Advising Jaguar Land Rover on an ongoing basis in relation to consumer emissions class action litigation.
- Acted for IBM in this high profile technology dispute involving the agile software development and implementation of an insurance solution for CIS. The case involved IT and delay experts, including analysis of source code, as well as highly specialised fact evidence. The case also dealt with novel issues of contract law, resulting in a hearing in the Court of Appeal on issues of construction of certain limitations of liability.
- Advising 6 directors of Petropavlovsk Plc on “bet the business” dispute
The practice at DLA Piper has ‘strong experience and knowledge across industry sectors’, with a particular strength in handling large-scale, complex disputes. The London office works seamlessly with other offices of the firm internationally, allowing it to provide multijurisdictional solutions for clients. Under the guidance of Jamie Curle, the ‘incredibly talented’ team also includes ‘class act’’ Jeremy Andrews and Charles Allin, who ‘works unbelievably hard in tenaciously fighting his client’s corner’. Described by one client as a ‘beast of a litigator‘, managing director Jean‑Pierre Douglas‑Henry is noted for his expertise in ESG issues.
Paul Hopman (Amsterdam); Jamie Curle
Other key lawyers:
Jeremy Andrews; Charles Allin; Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry; Jeremy Scher; James Carter; Victor Croci
‘The team are incredibly talented. They are fully engaged with the detail, and commercially astute. Their legal knowledge is very strong.’
‘Probably the best litigation firm in London at the moment, backed up by massive resources to service client needs in almost any area. Cunning strategists who can adopt whatever approach best suits the client’s needs, be it highly aggressive all the way through to concilliatory. Also adept at media management in high profile cases.’
‘Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry is just a beast of a litigator with an intellect to match his stance. Jamie Curle is a quiet and considered lawyer who always has his eye on the end game, and develops strategy accordingly. Charles Allin is always one step ahead of the opposition, a hugely talented lawyer who works unbelievably hard in tenaciously fighting his client’s corner.’
‘Strong experience and knowledge across industry sectors. depth in terms of resources and personnel.’
‘Jeremy Andrews is a class act. he has a measured and calm approach that allays the most anxious of clients.’
‘Jeremy Scher, James Carter, Victor Croci are all very strong indeed. Victor’s knowledge and attention to detail is truly excellent.’
Renova Industries Limited et. Al.
The Football Association Premier League Limited
Eco World – Ballymore Embassy Gardens Company Limited
Entain PLC and ElectraWorks Limited
Perform Content Services Limited
Natwest Markets PLC
GLAS Trust Corporation Limited / Global Loan Agency Services Limited
Clean Energy Holding Limited
- Advising on proceedings brought in the British Virgin Islands by Renova Industries Ltd for declaratory relief in respect of the alleged exercise of a joint venture exit mechanism.
- Advising Uber in relation to class action disputes with tens of thousands of drivers, including in relation to Group Litigation Orders and developing a landmark tech-driven settlement scheme.
- Advised the Premier League in obtaining summary judgment for circa USD 213 million against PPLive Sports International Ltd (the Premier Legaue’s former broadcasting partner for Mainland China and Macau).
Boutique Enyo Law LLP is ‘the premium disputes only practice’, with particular strength in energy, financial institutions, and increasingly blockchain and crypto-related disputes. The team frequently advises on high-value, complex corporate commercial litigation matters, and often receive referrals from leading firms due to their c0nflict-free nature. George Maling heads up the practice, that notably includes Edward Allen, ‘very bright’ Tim Elliss, and ‘star partner’ Lucinda Orr. ‘Experienced litigator’ Jonathan Brook is key to the team, with particular experience in high-profile matters for high-net-worth individuals, banks, and private equity houses. At associate level, Alex Mobbs and Phoebe Dean are noted.
Other key lawyers:
Edward Allen; Tim Elliss; Lucinda Orr; Jonathan Brook; Boris Telyatnikov; Konrad Rogers; Anna Maxwell; Alex Mobbs; Phoebe Dean
‘Lucinda Orr is a star partner who is fantastic at managing complex litigation, and an incredible hard worker.’
‘Anna Maxwell is incredibly responsive and well-organised. Gets on top of the substance of a case so that the engagement with Counsel is always very productive. Excellent strategist, always considering what will put the client on the best footing.’
‘The premium disputes only practice. Unparalleled strength in depth for a boutique notably at partner level. Enyo also have excellent referral relationships with the magic circle law firms as well as extensive international network.’
‘George Maling, Edward Allen and Tim Ellis stand out. They all have the whole package. Intellectual rigour, business acumen and innovative on fee structures.’
‘Konrad Rodgers is very sharp and hard-working, and who gets on top of the detail of the case. Good at managing a team too, and a pleasure to work for. Jonathan Brook is an experienced litigator who well knows how to manage a team: he delegates appropriately and then adds value on the important issues as the best partners should.’
‘Boris Telyatnikov has excellent judgment, is highly intelligent, and good to work with. Tim Elliss is very bright, sensible, down to earth, good judgment.’
‘Alex Mobbs is a senior associate who hits way above his grade. His advice is excellent and he inspires confidence, so you feel that you’re in the hands of a partner not an associate. Tim Ellis as the partner is also excellent.’
‘Phoebe Dean is an immensely impressive associate, and one of the most thorough solicitors I have ever worked with. Incredibly attention to detail, pleasure to work with, always provides timely and meaningful feedback to Counsel. A real star.’
T.U. Reflections Limited and First Link Management Services Limited
Sheikh Mohamed bin Issa al Jaber
Nifty Gateway LLC
Mr Federico Faleschini
MCCF UK Solutions Limited
Manchester Property Development Holdings Limited
Jack Linton, Gary Linton, Selina Linton
Grove HR Limited and AGUT Limited (part of the Arora Group)
- Acting for ultra-high net worth individuals in defence of a $800m claim brought against them by Russian state-owned banks.
- Representing a number of the defendant software developers in the widely-reported blockchain litigation commenced by Craig Wright and Tulip Trading Limited in respect of $4bn of allegedly stolen Bitcoin.
- Acting for a defendant in proceedings commenced by former Chairman of Ferrari and Fiat, Luca di Montezemolo, seeking to recover significant losses suffered by his Family Office’s investments following the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The ‘responsive and tactically astute’ practice at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP advises global conglomerates and leading corporates on a wide range of commercial disputes. Mark Davenport leads the team of ‘very serious heavy-hitting partners‘ whose experience spans a broad range of sectors, including consumer goods, industrials, healthcare, and TMT. The ‘superb’ Neville Byford is a key member of the team, with one client describing him as a ‘real fist of iron in a velvet glove‘. Also of note are Phillip Richardson, Sheena Buddhdev, Richard Little, and Tim Browning.
Other key lawyers:
Sheena Buddhdev; Tim Browning; Neville Byford; Phillip Richardson
‘Eversheds have very capable lawyers who are focused on doing a really good job for their clients. They have provided helpful, tailored training to us.’
‘Philip Richardson is very client-friendly.’
‘Some incredible breadth and depth; very serious heavy-hitting partners with skilled, hungry associates who are enthusiastic. A great team.’
‘Neville Byford is superb – he has a great eye for tactical manoeuvres and squeezes every drop out of a case for the best results. A real fist of iron in a velvet glove.’
‘The London team has provided excellent support for us throughout recent years. It is responsive and commercially astute.’
‘Tim Browning understands the commercial imperatives and tailors his advice accordingly.’
The Tejani Family
Brown-Forman Beverages UK Limited
Chartered Insurance Institute
Optimas OE Solutions Limited
HCA International Limited
Fieldfisher’s department is ‘excellent for premium commercial litigation’, often acting on high-profile cases. The team boasts regional and international expertise, with particular strengths in corporate, shareholder, and post M&A disputes. Colin Gibson is for one client ‘the best solicitor in the city to work with’, and leads the ‘phenomenal team of hard working, intelligent, and diligent individuals’. The team continues to grow significantly, with Priyanka Kapoor joining from PCB Byrne LLP in July 2022, Natalie Quinlivan from KWM Europe LLP in December 2022, and Ania Farren from Omnia Strategy in January 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Adam Sturt; Duncan Black; Rebecca McKee; Vivien Davies; Kit Jarvis; Shiv Haria-Shah; Hanna Piper; Laura Parnell; Andrew Lafferty; Arik Aslanyan; James Lewis; Daniel Haywards; Priyanka Kapoor; Natalie Quinlivan; Ania Farren
‘The Fieldfisher team is excellent for premium commercial litigation. The team has a depth of expertise and is able to assemble an appropriate team in commercial litigation.’
‘Duncan Black and Rebecca McKee make up a phenomenal team of hard working, intelligent and diligent individuals. They work tirelessly for the best results for their clients and provide incredible support to both clients and counsel teams alike. A joy to work with.’
‘Adam Sturt has heaps of experiences across a wide range of sectors, and has very good judgment.’
‘Vivien Davies is great at marrying middle east expectation with the UK court system which is not always easy.’
‘Kit Jarvis is a stellar litigation partner who works tirelessly for his clients and is able to pull rabbits out of hats. Shiv Haria-Shah is an excellent lawyer who is not fazed by anything, and Hannah Piper is an absolute pleasure to work with. Laura Parnell is extremely hard-working and an obvious favourite with clients.’
‘Andrew Lafferty – calm, orderly approach to case management. Arik Aslanyan – excellent client management and relationships. James Lewis – real work horse. Colin Gibson – perhaps the best solicitor in the city to work with.’
‘Dan Hayward and Rebecca McKee are both excellent. They are fun and enjoyable to work with, which is a very good way of getting the best out of the entire team.’
Mr Igor Kolomoisky
Atalaya Mining PLC
Compound Photonics Group Limited (CPGL)
Aurium Real Estate London Ultra Prime Limited
India Infrastructure Finance Company (UK) Limited (IIFC)
- Acting for Igor Kolomoisky in claims by PrivatBank, Ukraine’s biggest deposit taking bank, for $2.6 billion.
- Acting for a Lebanese National, in a $1 billion case brought by the Kuwaiti Public Institution for Social Security.
The team at Jones Day boasts a ‘incredibly impressive marriage of fastidious attention to factual detail and carefully thought out litigation strategy’ and routinely acts on commercially sensitive, complex disputes. ‘Hugely charismatic and confident practitioner’ Sion Richards heads up the team, advising on multijurisdictional investigations and high-value civil litigation. Also of note are ‘top class litigation partner’ Rhys Thomas, ‘exceptionally talented partners’ Ben Larkin and Adam Brown, and ‘very bright’ Daniel Travers. At associate level, Sarah Batley is commended for her ‘good litigation instincts’.
Other key lawyers:
Rhys Thomas; Saoirse O’Reilly; Ben Larkin; Adam Brown; Lee Coffey; Barnaby Stueck; Daniel Travers; Annabel Treadgold; Greg Barden; Tamsin Robinson; Nick Cotter; Rebekah Warke; Sarah Batley
‘An exceptionally able and well resourced team. An incredibly impressive marriage of fastidious attention to factual detail and carefully thought out litigation strategy. The team is able to assimilate vast amounts of factual information and produce very useful work produce for clients and counsel alike.’
‘Sion Richards is a hugely charismatic and confident practitioner. He provides clear, practical advice, and is unflappable when the big calls need to be made. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Rhys Thomas is a top class litigation partner. He is a complete star under pressure. Leads his team very effectively and anticipates all the twists and turns in the case. Very strong lawyer who is fearless even in the most difficult situations. Saoirse O’Reilly is a first-class senior associate- incredibly hard working and precise. a pleasure to work with. A rising star.’
‘Ben Larkin and Adam Brown are exceptionally talented partners who bring a a wealth of experience in litigation concerning M&A and restructuring aspects. They take the time to develop a very deep understanding of salient aspects of litigation and have an acute understanding of the need to continually reflect on the strategy and adapt as soon as necessary, which ensures that they never take bad points and have a uniquely impressive ability to understand how matters are likely to be received by a court.’
‘Lee Coffey is stellar: strategic, calm, clever and cool under pressure.’
‘Greg Barden and Tamsin Robinson make a first class commercial litigation team. They would both bring fresh ideas and make valuable contributions to whatever problem we were dealing with or document we were working on.’
‘Ben Larkin, Adam Brown, Dan Travers and Lee Coffey are all exceptional litigators, and a delight to work with.’
‘Nick Cotter is a market leading, stand-out litigator. Best in his field of expertise. Commercial, accessible, excellent to work with and offers consistently high quality advice/service. Rebekah Warke is very strong associate with unbeatable attention to detail and great with clients. Sarah Batley is another very strong associate with good litigation instincts.’
MasterCard International Inc.
Evans Randall Services Ltd
Geoff Carton-Kelly of FRP Advisory
Geoff Rowley and Tony Wright of FRP Advisory
United World Holding Limited
DB Symmetry Ltd (now Tritax Symmetry)
Ian Wormleighton and Daniel Butters of Teneo Financial Advisory Limited
- Advised Mastercard International Incorporated on three ground-breaking and closely watched litigations.
- Advised Evans Randall Services Limited on high profile Britishvolt proceedings concerning the performance of contractual obligations, rights of recission, and entitlement to multi million pound commission payments.
- Advising the joint liquidators of BHS Ltd and prosecuting claims arising out of the highest profile retail collapse in recent years.
Described by one client as a ‘top outfit for international commercial litigation’, Latham & Watkins is frequently handling ‘bet the company’ disputes regarding ownership and viability of several companies. The practice notably represents Meta in a number of complex, cross-jurisdictional investigations, related to data protection, competition, and consumer laws, showcasing the strength of the team in data privacy and cybersecurity issues. Head of the team Martin Davies is ‘not only one of the very best competition litigators in the market, but also one of the very nicest’. At associate level, ‘great to work with’ Hayley Pizzey is noted.
Other key lawyers:
Oliver Middleton; Helen Perks; Hayley Pizzey; Oliver Browne; Ian Felstead
‘A top outfit for international commercial litigation especially with conflicts of laws.’
‘Martin Davies has a rare balance of sharpness and legal knowledge on the one hand, and being easy to work with and fun on the other. Helen Perks is a great partner with good management of difficult clients.’
‘The team are rapidly gaining a major profile in major competition litigation in the UK.’
‘Martin Davies has the distinction of being not only one of the very best competition litigators in the market, but also of being one of the very nicest. He is super smart and an absolute delight to work with.’
‘Hayley Pizzey is an up-and-coming star, great to work with and bound for the top.’
‘The great strength of this team is their ability and willingness to draw on expertise from other departments of this very large firm. As a result it is pretty much a one stop shop for any kind of commercial dispute. However many aspects it may have, there will be someone there who can deal with it. The team are able to synergise all this help very well, which results in a comprehensive and yet cost efficient result for the client.’
‘Oliver Middleton is very good at the day to day conduct of litigation, tirelessly fighting for his client at every turn, but resourceful at calling in the knowledge of others when he needs it. I have seen him do this a lot, with great results.’
Aerium Finance Limited
Societe Nationale de Raffinage, S.A.
Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME)
Renesas Electronics Corporation
Apollo Management International Ltd
- Representing Aerium Finance Limited as one of over 30 defendants in a claim with more than £700m on offer, and an endless cast list containing prominent individuals, asset managers and international financial institutions, this large-scale claim will be one of the largest disputes ever heard in the Commercial Court.
- Representing Meta in relation to a number of highly complex and multijurisdictional regulatory investigations and inquiries regarding alleged data breaches and compliance with data protection laws generally, and any related litigation.
- Representing Renesas Group in its defence to a follow-on damages claim for £400m in connection with the European Commission’s Smart Card Chips cartel decision. This is a matter that recently made headlines for a rare successful limitation defence application.
The ‘first rate commercial team’ at Macfarlanes LLP continues to grow, acting on high-value, cross-border disputes, often with precedent-setting elements. The litigation practice is able to rely on the strong competition litigation, financial services, and tax departments at the firm, as well as the much-lauded private client practice. Matt McCahearty is ‘totally on top of his cases’ and is responsible for leading the team, within which the ‘particular feature is the level of partner involvement’. Iain Mackie is integral to the team, specialising in large-scale corporate and financial services litigation, as is ‘ferociously bright’ Lois Horne. At associate level, Fred Snowball is ‘tenacious in fighting his clients’ corner’.
Other key lawyers:
Iain Mackie; Lois Horne; Fred Snowball; Christopher Charlton; Lorna Emson
‘Ian Mackie is always a calm, measured, head and on top of his brief.’
‘First rate commercial team, capable of handling the full range of disputes. A particular feature is the level of partner involvement; you get a deep knowledge of the case and issues, leadership and strategic and tactical decision making, whereas at some other firms the case is effectively run by associates with the partner merely a figurehead.’
‘Lois Horne is a star. She is the complete package: ferociously bright, commercial, hands-on and tactically astute, looking two moves ahead. She has a superb feel for the points that will and won’t fly with a tribunal, and the route through to the best commercial outcome for her clients.’
‘Lorna Emson is another excellent partner. She is a real fighter, who you want on your side.’
‘Matt McCahearty is a brilliant department leader: very bright, totally on top of his cases and with a very sound instinct for what will best promote his clients’ interests. Fred Snowball is an exceptional associate.Very clever, knows his cases inside out, and is tenacious in fighting his clients’ corner. Lois Horne is a stellar partner who is incredibly diligent and on top of all the detail.’
‘Chris Charlton is a truly great young Partner. He can deal with the most demanding clients and the most challenging cases, and he does so with the calm authority of a man with a much greyer beard. A future superstar in the litigation world who I expect to be among the heavyweights for years to come.’
‘Matt McCahearty, Chris Charlton and Fred Snowball have been exceptional, offering pragmatic, real-world workable advice in an extremely challenging time for our business.’
‘Macfarlanes is an outstanding practice, with consistency across the partnership, and immaculate associates supporting. The standout quality is the measured legal and commercial judgment and discipline which the litigators bring to bear in all types of dispute.’
The State of Qatar
SAS Institute Inc.
Genius Sports Group
Raven Ventures International Limited
Red Bull Racing
Business Growth Fund
Grange Hotels / Integrity International Group Limited
- Acted for Genius Sports (a global sports data and technology firm) in its high-profile dispute against Sportradar concerning exclusive rights to collect and use live match data from matches played in the Premier League, the English Football League and the Scottish Professional Football League.
- Acting for SAS, the world’s largest privately-owned software company, in the English aspects of its $80m software copyright infringement litigation against World Programming Limited.
- Acted on a conspiracy and fraudulent misrepresentation claim relating to Business Growth Fund’s investment in Invenio Business Solutions, a UK-headquartered software services company.
Norton Rose Fulbright’s ‘first-class, top-quality team’ act on disputes for major blue-chip clients across all key industries of the firm, including financial institutions, energy, infrastructure, transport, tech, life sciences, and healthcare. Mandates acted on by the firm are often high-value, complex, and cross-border, and involve the likes of HSBC and Shell. Patrick Bourke and Ruth Cowley form the leadership of the practice, both with expansive domestic and international experience. Key to the team is Harriet Jones-Fenleigh, who ‘offers unparalleled strategic insight’, ‘top class litigation heavyweight’ Antony Corsi, and ‘hardworking and pragmatic’ Holly Stebbing.
Patrick Bourke; Ruth Cowley
Other key lawyers:
Harriet Jones-Fenleigh; Antony Corsi; Holly Stebbing; Andrew Judkins; India Furse; Jonathan Hawkins;
‘A first-class, top-quality team. Clever lawyers, committed to getting the best outcome for their clients. Always commercially aware.’
‘Holly Stebbing is hardworking, pragmatic, and gives clear advice.’
‘Harriet Jones-Fenleigh offers unparalleled strategic insight, with support from an excellent team of associates.’
‘Anthony Corsi – a top class litigation heavyweight’
‘The top of the ticket individuals at Norton Rose are highly impressive, user-friendly and a delight to work with. I have worked with Antony Corsi’s team for nearly five years and the senior associates have always been top class. In my view this is key to good work product and running disputes efficiently.’
‘Harriet Jones-Fenleigh is a strong litigator with a mediatory style.’
Andrew Judkins is a stand-out senior associate and at Norton Rose. Absolute workhorse, clever, very close to the detail and full of good ideas. He will go far.’
‘Harriet Jones-Fenleigh and Antony Corsi are simply brilliant practitioners who bring sharp legal minds, commercial acumen and client focused advice.’
Mercuria Energy Trading
Save the Children
Fenchurch Advisory Partners
Liberty Industries France Pte Limited and Liberty France Aluminium HoldCo
- Successfully advised Orange Liberia on a complex, high value, international commercial court litigation.
Litigation-only firm Stewarts Law LLP acts on large scale, complex, cross-border disputes, and is ‘one of the best in the market’. The team consists of a ‘great selection of top-quality but nice and happy lawyers’, with Clive Zietman leading the team that consists of ‘complete package’ Ian Gatt KC, and ‘highly organized and efficient’ Lorraine Lanceley. Lucy Ward is integral to the team, with specific expertise in complex securities litigation – a mainstay of the work undertaken by the team. The bench strength of the team continues to develop, with the arrival of Alex Leitch from Paul Hastings LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Ian Gatt KC; Keith Thomas; Harry McGowan; Lorraine Lanceley; Alex Leitch; Lucy Ward
‘With a scale, reputation, and success rate that belies its size, Stewarts’ secret is a great selection of top quality but nice and happy lawyers.’
‘Keith Thomas is at the top in putting together and conducting securities claims. Harry McGowan is a very knowledgeable ex-banker.’
‘One of the best in the market. There is a consistent quality of the team from partners down. They achieve great outcomes for their clients, and totally focused on doing so.’
‘Lorraine Lanceley is superb with clients, a natural team leader, very commercial, and good on detail – a pleasure to work with.’
‘Ian Gatt KC is the complete package, and there is nothing he has not seen. There is no one you would rather be in the trenches with.’
‘I found the breadth of experience in the team critical to both understanding the case process and the determine the most appropriate approach for me as an individual in the context of a multiparty dispute.’
‘I found the team to be sharply focussed and effective within their brief while always being alert to my needs relative to other parties wishing the dispute, including my former employer. I found Ian Gatt KC’s diverse experience across all aspects of dispute litigation to be invaluable. Lorraine Lanceley work highly effectively to deliver the breadth of the Stewart’s team in a highly organised and efficient manner.’
Group action v Glencore Plc
Dr Geoffrey Guy, The Chedington Court Estate Ltd and Chedington Events Limited
Lipton Rogers Developments LLP
Maddox RP LLP
- Representing investors in the circa £500m action against Glencore.
- Representing a prominent property development firm to defend a High Court claim brought for purported unpaid service fees in relation to the development of 22 Bishopsgate – London’s tallest skyscraper.
- Acting for the Guy Parties in wide-ranging and inter-connected proceedings which to date has entailed six sets of proceedings, four High Court trials, three Court of Appeal hearings and one Supreme Court hearing.
The London team at Akin is described as ‘extremely adept for big-ticket litigation’. The group has significant experience in disputes in the energy, tech, and financial sectors, having acted on high-profile energy disputes, investment disputes on behalf of banks, and crypto-related disputes. ‘No-nonsense, pragmatic and commercially minded‘ Richard Hornshaw leads the London disputes team as well as the firm’s wider international disputes practice, acting frequently for financial institutions. Other noted practitioners include ‘stand-out partner’ Justin Williams, and Kambiz Larizadeh, commended for his ‘searing insight combined with an unassuming manner’
Other key lawyers:
Kambiz Larizadeh; Justin Williams; Jenny Arlington
‘An extremely adept team that handles big-ticket litigation and makes smart tactical decisions.’
‘Justin Williams is right down in the detail. He is not a partner that takes a step back. He knows the case like the back of his hand.’
‘Strength in depth, and an ability to manage the largest and most high profile cases in this area.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh – searing insight combined with an unassuming manner. An ability to communicate clearly and effectively in all situations.
Richard Hornshaw – no-nonsense, pragmatic and commercially minded; gets things done.’
‘Kambiz Larizadeh and the team have displayed very considerable skills as commercial litigators in addressing the complex issues raised. I am very impressed by their abilities and would rate them highly in these categories.’
‘Justin Williams is a stand out partner. He combines excellent client skills with a deep knowledge of law and procedure.’
Elliott Associates and Elliot International
The administrators of African Minerals Limited
Goldman Sachs and other Senior Secured Noteholders of Galapagos
- Advising Elliott on its judicial review against the London Metal Exchange (LME) for the almost half-billion-dollar loss Elliott suffered by virtue of the LME’s decision retrospectively to cancel nickel trades entered into in the early hours of 8 March 2022.
- Acting for the claimants in high-profile $60m English litigation proceedings against Nexo, a crypto issuer and platform.
- Advising Nexperia in connection with an order issued by the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, which required Nexperia to divest its majority shareholding in Nexperia Newport Limited.
The 'friendly, hardworking, and experienced' team at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner act on high-stakes contractual disputes, with impressive multi-jurisdictional capabilities. 'Very experienced' Graham Shear leads the litigation and investigations practice at the firm, alongside the business and commercial disputes practice. Shear is praised for 'thinking deeply and laterally... considering multiple different aspects simultaneously from several perspectives to develop powerful strategies'. 'Intelligent litigator' Oran Gelb is integral to the team, as is 'seasoned litigator' Joby Davies, and 'brilliant technical lawyer' Rachel Ziegler. The team was strengthened with the arrival of Ravi Nayer from Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP in July 2022 - he handles both commercial and group litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Oran Gelb; Joby Davies; Rachel Ziegler; Ravi Nayer; Andrew Street; Alexandra Kirby
‘A friendly, hardworking and experienced team with consistently high-quality associates’
‘Joby Davies is a seasoned litigator who fights hard for his clients and is always looking for ways to win. Rachel Ziegler is a highly intelligent and commercially astute litigator who has excellent strategic judgement’
‘Graham Shear is a very experienced partner with a strong sense of the commercial context for a dispute.’
‘Oran Gelb is an intelligent litigator who is immersed in the detail of a case.’
‘An all round superb team of lawyers who combine technical brilliance with excellent judgement and dedication to their clients’ cause.’
‘Joby Davies – no commercial disputes solicitor has better judgement that Joby. He sees things others do not see and achieves fantastic outcomes for his clients.’
‘Rachel Ziegler – a brilliant technical lawyer who is also incredibly commercially astute and wonderful with clients.’
‘Andrew Street is an extremely knowledgeable and tactically able lawyer who is a tremendous asset to any team.’
Kazakhstan Kagazy JSC
Heathrow Airport Limited
Tata Consultancy Services
Kellogg Brown & Root Limited
Northern & Shell PLC, The New Lottery Company
Sportority, plc (trading as Minute Media)
The Ackerman Group and Barry and Naomi Ackerman
- Advising Vatche Manoukian on English proceedings regarding the restriction of access to his accounts by two Lebanese banks.
- Representing the Asturion Fondation in highly contested proceedings for the recovery of an ultra-high value property portfolio including property in London.
- Advising EE Limited (part of the BT group of companies) on a £25m claim in the TCC against Virgin Mobile relating to the supply of 4G/5G services.
Clyde & Co
The 'forward-thinking, client-friendly and efficient practice’ at Clyde & Co benefits from the expertise of 400 litigation partners internationally, with expertise across a wide range of sectors. IT disputes continue to keep the team busy, particularly for team head Chris Burdett, who also specialises in corporate disputes and procurement litigation, along with commercial disputes for large corporates and PLC. Ian Birdsey 'goes above and beyond to service the needs of clients in challenging situations', specialising in high-profile contentious data protection matters. Tom White is recognised for his 'technical litigation and insurance advice'.
Other key lawyers:
Ian Birdsey; Tom White; Anna Myrvang; Pavani Reddy
‘A forward-thinking, client-friendly and efficient practice.’
‘Chris Burdett – a rare combination of a first-class legal mind coupled with great commercial acumen, vast experience and a very client-friendly and practical manner.’
‘Pavani Reddy has good judgement and is friendly and knowledgeable’
Calder Water Community Wind Co Ltd
Stobart Capital Limited (SCL)
- Acting on behalf of Wipro, a major multinational IT company with revenue in the billions of USD, in a claim from a FTSE 250 utilities company, following termination of a complex IT project.
- Acting for Calder Water Community Wind Co. Ltd, an owner/operator of an onshore windfarm in Scotland, in its Commercial Court claim for damages for breach of a long-term corporate PPA with Statkraft.
- Acting for Apache North Sea Ltd, with proceedings in the Commercial Court in London, involving claims for declarations as to the proper interpretation of a Decommissioning Security Agreement.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP’s team ‘has a wealth of expertise and experience’, acting for clients including financial services and Fortune 500 companies, and household telecoms, tech and life sciences sectors. The expertise of the team largely lies in tech, financial services, and energy, with class actions and insolvency-related litigation also strengths of the team. Louise Freeman and Ian Hargreaves lead the team that includes ‘one of the best litigators in London’, Craig Pollack. Special counsel Eddy Eccles is also noted.
Louise Freeman; Ian Hargreaves
Other key lawyers:
Craig Pollack; Eddy Eccles
‘The team has a wealth of expertise and experience. They are very good tacticians. They are a pleasure to work with.’
‘I am been instructed by and worked closely with Ian Hargreaves, Craig Pollack and Greg Lascelles. The are each at the top of their games. They have enormous experience, show graat attention to detail, are very client friendly and are a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team at Covington are exceptional at managing the most demanding cases. They focus all of their resources and efforts on maximising the chance to win at trial, and they will support clients through even the most difficult stages of a long dispute. They are a pleasure to work with and a nightmare to be against: experienced, careful, confident and tough as leather.’
- Represented Deutsche Telekom in a claim brought by the administrators of Phones 4U, who seek substantial damages for an alleged conspiracy among the UK Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) to put Phones 4U out of business.
- Acted for a former director of Carillion plc in relation to ongoing regulatory investigations into the collapse of the company and in relation to Directors’ Disqualification proceedings brought by the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- Acted for client and his related corporate entities in respect of the high profile Commercial Court claim relating to alleged fraud and misappropriation of funds and assets.
The ‘well coordinated and extremely efficient’ team at Dechert LLP is particularly skilled at handling litigation that spans multiple jurisdictions, regularly acting for multinational corporates, sovereign states, hedge funds, and other financial institutions. Solicitor-advocate Dorothy Cory-Wright leads the team, acting on a wide range of complex commercial litigation and contentious regulatory issues. ‘Litigation heavyweight’ Stephen Surgeoner is key to the team, with a particular focus on financial services, insurance, energy, and telecommunications-related litigation. ‘Very diligent’ Daniel Natoff is highly recommended by clients, with a financial services sector focus.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Surgeoner; Daniel Natoff; Andrew Hearn; John Bedford; Abdul Azeem s/o Abdul Samad
‘The team is very well coordinated and extremely efficient. Capable of dealing effectively with complex cross border litigation with in-depth knowledge of the law and case law swiftly applied to the facts of the case’
‘Daniel Natoff is very diligent and has a very practical approach. Quick on his feet with to the point comments on strategy of the case’
‘Daniel Natoff is valued for commercial understanding and dedication including doggedness to get to the bottom of issues when required’
‘Excellent bench strength’
‘Fantastic team to advise on all litigation and dispute matters. Extremely efficient and in depth knowledge of practice’
‘Daniel Natoff is fantastic and very diligent.’
‘A team that manages to combined heavy weight experience and large clients with a personalised and human approach.’
‘Stephen Surgeoner is a litigation heavyweight. Strongly recommended.’
Procurement Bureau of the Republic of China Ministry of National Defence
Stifel Nicolaus Europe Limited
Pizza Express Group Limited
Credit Suisse Asset Management (Switzerland) (Credit Suisse)
The team at Dentons - described as an ‘outstanding international litigation department with a specialism in maximum complexity banking cases’ - is well-regarded for its expertise in financial services and energy disputes. The team can draw on support from the wider firm's huge global platform, and acts for long-established clients both domestically and internationally. Louisa Caswell, known as as a ‘great leader’, has extensive experience in commercial and corporate disputes, particularly in relations to M&A, joint ventures and shareholder actions. Caswell, along with Dan Bodle and Thomas Leyland lead the team. ‘Likeable, shrewd, and experienced’ Adrian Giles is also noted.
Louisa Caswell; Dan Bodle; Thomas Leyland
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Giles; Craig Neilson; Liz Tout; Dan Bodle; Felicity Ewing; Sarah Rutnah
‘Craig Neilson is a thoughtful lawyer with an excellent client manner.;
‘Sarah Rutnah is an absolute star in the making. An upcoming senior associate on track for partnership, she’s very smart, a good intuitive lawyer as well as being a complete hardworker.’
‘Excellent offering with a magic circle quality but with hands-on partners.’
‘Adrian Giles is an excellent strategist. Louisa Caswell is stand out star in this area’
‘Louisa Caswell is a great leader of the disputes team.’
‘Dan Bodle is a skillful, measured handler of complicated litigation with a high public profile.’
‘Adrian Giles is a likeable, shrewd and experienced partner. Highly recommended.’
Vodafone Italia S.P.A.
WEA International Inc. (part of the Warner Music group of companies)
St James Holdings Limited (Newcastle United F.C.)
American Eagle Outfitters
Avis Budget Group
Government of India
Silverstone Circuits Limited
Pathfinder Mozambique SA and JV Consultores Internacionais Limitada
- Achieved settlement for Vodafone on a termination dispute related to a significant contract for Serie A football broadcast rights.
- Defending a £63 million claim for alleged breach of confidence by PwC.
- Advising part of the Warner Music group of companies in a complex claim with cross-border elements, brought by a company that operates a record label in Africa.
HFW has the ‘knowledge and competence to operate at the very highest level on multi-jurisdictional cases’, acting for high-value clients across a wide range of sectors. ‘Hard worker with excellent commercial nous’ Andrew Williams leads the team, with a practice spanning director and shareholder disputes, banking, fraud, and general contract disputes. Damian Honey is key to the team, with expertise across commodities, trade finance, banking, energy, and fraud. At associate level, Gordon Rieck and Roxanne Johnson are noted.
Other key lawyers:
Rick Brown; Damian Honey; Gordon Rieck; Roxanne Johnson; David Chalcraft
‘Knowledge and competence to operate at the very highest level on multi-jurisdictional cases.’
‘Andrew Williams is a hard worker with excellent commercial nous. He and Damian Honey lead a small but very experienced and effective team including their accomplished senior associates, Gordon Rieck and Roxanne Johnson.’
‘A smooth operation acting in highly complex, high-value commercial litigation.’
‘Rick Brown is excellent – brilliant with clients and not afraid to tactfully steer them in the right direction as appropriate.’
Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC
ICTSI Middle East DMCC
Salt Ship Design A/S
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
StoneX Financial Limited
Quantuma Advisory Limited
Chinese Leasing Co.
- Advised Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC on a claim for $20bn issued by the State of Qatar for damages, restitution and an account of profits arising out of an alleged conspiracy to harm Qatar via manipulating the market for the Qatari Riyal.
- Advised ICTSI Middle East DMCC on a claim against the Government of the Republic of Sudan for the repayment of a debt and payment of an ongoing indemnity in respect of the costs of funding under a refund bond governed by English law.
- Advising Uniserve Limited on a claim issued by Advanced Multi-Technology for Medical Industry for the alleged breach by Uniserve of a contract for the supply of PPE face masks, which Uniserve had agreed to purchase from Hitex to supply to the NHS.
Mayer Brown International LLP fields a ‘highly diligent and effective outfit’ that acts across the gamut of sectors and jurisdictions. Shareholder, joint venture, and partnership disputes are part of the core work of the team that advises a range of clients, from global mass media companies to international casinos, to established charities. Ian McDonald leads the team that includes ‘fiercely intelligent and great strategist’ Miles Robinson, ‘relaxed and engaging’ Mark Stefanini, and ‘extremely diligent, detail oriented, open minded, and pragmatic’ Airlie Goodman.
Other key lawyers:
Miles Robinson; Mark Stefanini; Airlie Goodman; Jeremy Holden
‘The Mayer Brown team is a highly diligent and effective outfit. They combine excellent forensic legal analysis, with clear and thoughtful strategic decision making. They cut to the chase and make smart decisions swiftly, which helps their clients stay ahead of the curve from a tactical perspective.’
‘Miles Robinson is fiercely intelligent and a great strategist. Jeremy Holden is a strong team player, who leaves no stone unturned when analysing the documentary evidence.’
‘Mark Stefanini has a relaxed and engaging style. Does not adopt an unnecessarily aggressive approach, which is so often the case with litigators. Mark provides practical advice in lay man terms. Mark is very good at responding quickly.’
‘I worked with Airlie Goodman and she was extremely diligent, detail oriented, open minded, and pragmatic.’
‘A firm packed with highly competent litigators, such that they make up a highly skilled team. Those from the bottom up are valued, highly engaged and pull together effectively.’
‘Notable individuals include Jeremy Holden, an excellent senior associate able to marshal a case to trial, with very sound judgment. He is dedicated with excellent legal instincts, and Miles Robinson an effective partner who is able to give skilled guidance and fight hard for his clients.’
‘When I worked with Airlie Goodman, the team was knowledgeble, helped assessing all risks and provide mitigating actions for it. The most important factor was how well prepared they made us!’
‘A responsive team who have taken time to know our business and understand our priorities and appetite for risk. Avaliability and up to date legal and industry knowledge are obvious.’
Civil Aviation Authority
Salic (UK) Limited
- Defending Salic (UK) Limited in a group litigation claim in the High Court of England & Wales brought by c.18,000 claimants that allege that our client has an exposure through its investment in the Brazilian company that owned the assets that are the subject-matter of the case.
- Represented eOne in a multi-million pound claim in the High Court following an internal investigation.
- Advised and represented three leading international casinos, based in Las Vegas and Singapore, in connection with complex multi-jurisdictional litigation against a Chinese high-net-worth individual.
The ‘diverse and experienced team’ at Mishcon de Reya LLP have experience in areas such as group litigation, director and shareholder disputes, advising high-net-worth individuals, and acting on high-value proceedings. The firm’s merger with Taylor Vinters in January 2023 added to the bench strength of the team and expands the offering provided to clients. Kasra Nouroozi leads the team, alongside Richard Leedham, Janet Tobin, and ‘hard-working and extremely focused’ Nicola Bridge. ‘Tactically very astute’ Mark Davis is also recommended.
Kasra Nouroozi; Richard Leedham; Nicola Bridge; Janet Tobin
Other key lawyers:
Mark Davis; Lydia Allaby; Holly Edmond; Sophia Louw; Tom Roberts; Shona Coffer; Greg Campbell; Victoria Pigott; Jessie Bridgett; Shaistah Akhtar; Mark Whelan
‘They have a diverse and experienced team in all areas of expertise to advise the clients.’
‘Mark Davis – tactically very astute, very good negotiator and manager of major litigation.’
‘Nicola Bridge and Tom Roberts are both great lawyers. Nicola is hard-working and extremely focused on the case at hand. She provided the best client service I have ever seen from a solicitor. Tom is totally calm and unflappable in all circumstances, no matter how stressful.’
‘Shona Coffer is an excellent young partner. Her communication skills are first-rate, and she manages litigation beautifully. I would also highlight Richard Leedham and Greg Campbell.’
‘Victoria Pigott is a smooth operator who outperforms. She is a partner who has great client skills and doesn’t flannel. She combines strategic vision with a versatile approach. At the same time she runs cases with great efficiency and to great effect.’
‘Jessie Bridgett is a partner in the making. She is clever, direct and hardworking.’
‘Richard Leedham – a very safe pair of hands and a brilliant, commercial operator who knows how to manage and settle the most complex of disputes.’
The Federal Republic of Nigeria
Telefonica UK Limited
Stuart Knight and others
Bonnier Books UK Group Holdings Limited and Others
Evatt Tamine and Cabarita (PTC) Limited
Watchstone Group PLC
Minor International PCL
Advanced Computer Software Group Limited
Weiss Technik UK Limited, Weiss Technik GmbH and Weiss Technik France SAS
- Acting for the Federal Republic of Nigeria in applications which have been brought in the English Commercial Court under ss 67 and 68 of the English Arbitration Act 1996 seeking to set aside an arbitral award, worth $11 billion, obtained in 2017 by a BVI company, P&ID, arising from a failed gas deal.
- Acting for Telefonica in relation to proceedings brought by Phones 4U Limited (in administration) alleging conspiracy between EE, Vodafone, Telefonica and their parent companies.
- Acting for Bonnier Books UK Group Holdings in respect of negligence claims brought against their former auditors, Haysmacintyre (‘HM’).
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP has a ‘great litigation team with a wealth of experience’ according to one client, and are ‘very effective at holding their own against Magic Circle and American law firms’. Michael Fenn leads the team in London, frequently acting on multi-million pound breach of contract and tort cases, with expertise in international private law matters. ‘Superb litigator’ Michael Fletcher offers expertise across the range of commercial disputes, with specialist knowledge of procurement challenges and professional negligence. Key to the team is ‘very astute commercially’ Stuart McNeill, and ‘emerging talent’ Daniel Gardiner. At associate level, Charlotte Evenden and Oliver Tapper are recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Fletcher; Oliver Tapper; Daniel Gardiner; Alan Sheeley; Stuart McNeill; Charlotte Evenden; Katharine Davies
‘ Michael Fletcher and Oliver Tapper are outstandingly good litigators, bringing all a client could want to the case: hard work, timely advice, and excellent client management skills. I highly recommend both of them.’
‘Daniel Gardiner is an emerging talent who clearly has the trust of senior partners in the team. He has a firm grip of the details whilst also having a strategic view and very responsive throughout.’
‘Alan Sheeley is a great strategist and an excellent negotiator.’
Skatteforvaltningen (The Danish Customs & Tax Administration)
DSM SFG Group Holdings Limited
- Acted for QIPCO on a dispute regarding the authenticity and provenance of seven purportedly ancient objects purchased by our client from a leading ancient art dealer.
- Acted for PTPY Energy Invest Limited in enforcement and contempt proceedings before the High Court.
- Advised a demolition and a property investment business on a £37m fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claim being brought against it’s a current and former director arising out of a management buy out.
Reed Smith LLP
Financial services, technology, retail, commodities, and energy are key industry sectors of the ‘extremely client-focused, responsive, easy to work with and industrious’ practice at Reed Smith LLP. The London-based team is able to rely on the international network of the wider firm to offer a cross-border service to a wide array of clients. Standout partners include ‘proactive and very bright’ Oliver Rawkins, and ‘excellent’ Simon Greer. At associate level, Thomas Morgan is a ‘very strong performer’, and Marcus Price is considered by one client as a ‘star of the future’. Associate James Stockman is also recommended. Ben Summerfield left for Morrison Foerster in October 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Oliver Rawkins; Simon Greer; Marcus Price; James Stockman; Ali Ishaq; Mark Pring; Thomas Morgan
‘Mark Pring knows the insurance market like the back of his hand, and is all over the detail.’
‘Ali Ishaq is a clever, hard-working associate who manages client relationships with impressive maturity for his level.’
‘Oliver Rawkins is proactive and very bright.’
RPC is for one client, ‘an excellent choice for heavyweight and complex commercial litigation’ acting on work related to shareholders, joint ventures, complex financial instruments, warranty breaches, insolvency, and professional negligence. The team frequently acts on matters stretching across multiple jurisdictions, and benefit from the established non-contentious practices of the firm. ‘Veteran litigator’ Geraldine Elliott leads the team alongside Tom Hibbert who has ‘real insight and strategic flair’. Charlotte Henschen is ‘an outstanding litigator’ and specializes in joint venture, financial markets, and civil fraud related disputes.
Geraldine Elliott; Tom Hibbert
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Henschen; Davina Given; Simon Hart; Matt Evans; Alan Williams; Dan Hemming; Dan Wyatt
‘RPC is an excellent choice for heavyweight and complex commercial litigation. They have considerable expertise and experience across the team. They are able to handle the largest and most complex matters in an efficient manner.’
‘Geraldine Elliot is a veteran litigator with considerable experience of a wide range of commercial disputes. She excels at client handling and taking the big strategic decisions.’
‘Davina Given is an experienced partner for art-related commercial disputes. She has excellent knowledge of the industry and sound judgment.’
‘Geraldine Andrews and Simon Hart are highly experienced and work well with clients and counsel. Matt Evans is energetic and thorough, super to work with.’
‘Charlotte Henschen is an outstanding litigator. She is clever, pragmatic, calm under pressure and with excellent judgment; the full package!’
‘Tom Hibbert is an extraordinarily impressive lawyer, with real insight and strategic flair. He is exactly who you would want in a negotiation. He has huge experience of banking litigation from both sides, stretching back over 30 years.’
‘I am particularly impressed by Simon Hart and Alan Williams. Simon Hart is very down to earth and easy to work with – he really knows banking litigation and has a fantastic instinct for case strategy. Alan Williams is always across the detail and phenomenally clever.’
‘Of the younger partners, Dan Hemming stands out as a future star in the market. Alan Williams and Dan Wyatt also should be mentioned.’
Triumph Group Inc
Steinhoff International Holdings
Federal Government of Nigeria
Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited
- Acting for German and Austrian companies within the furniture retailer Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. in their claim against Formal Holdings Limited.
- Acted for the AA in a successful strike out of a claim for £60m that reached the Court of Appeal in November 2022. The claimants alleged fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation and/or for breach of contract, in relation to a failed joint venture.
- Represented the Bonhams Group in an £80 million claim which alleged conspiracy, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties against 7 defendants, including the Bonhams entities and current and former directors. The claim related to the sale of a collection of vintage cars.
The ‘cohesive, experienced, and effective team’ at Signature Litigation LLP acts for multi-party, multi-jurisdictional disputes, benefitting from support provided by a Paris office of the firm. The ‘hard-working, diligent and able’ team is led by ‘leading player’ Graham Huntley, who regularly acts for banks, fund managers, and life assurers. ‘Intelligent and skilled lawyer’ Daniel Spendlove is key to the team, alongside ‘stand-out individual’ Abdulali Jiwaji and ‘bright and careful litigator’ Simon Fawell.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Spendlove; Abdulali Jiwaji; Simon Fawell; Rory Spillman; Ritwick Ghosh
‘Signature LLP are a cohesive, experienced and effective team. They get to the heart of the issues and communicate well (within the team and to clients). They fight hard when fighting is needed and are wise to the alternative solutions where available.’
‘Graham Huntley is a leading player in the London litigation scene. He’s clever, responsive, always fights his corner, and the opposition don’t underestimate him.’
‘Daniel Spendlove is first class. Cool under pressure, a brilliant communicator and always with a practical solution to hand, he is also an intelligent and skilled lawyer. Simon Fawell is a bright and careful litigator with a keen eye to detail. He is also very commercial in his approach. Abdulali Jiwaji is a clever lawyer who quiet and calm manner inspires confidence.’
‘‘Abdulali Jiwaji is super impressive. He is understated, authoritative, and effective. No matter how complicated or difficult a situation, he is calm and the still centre. Cool under pressure. Very effective in communications with clients and wonderful as a team leader.’
‘‘Rory Spillman has excelled since deservedly stepping up to partner – unflappable, even under immense pressure, and produces consistently high quality work. A real eye for making sure that the detail is right.’
‘‘I have extensive experience working with Daniel Spendlove and Ritwick Ghosh, as well as the wider team. Both are cool, calm, and collected and are able to deal with litigation in a diplomatic but forceful way. Both have handled high intensity situations with aplomb and know how to resolve both legal issues but also how handle funders and insurers in pressurized situations.’
‘Graham Huntley – a big presence in this sector, good strategy overview but will roll his sleeves up whenever necessary. Great with clients.’
‘‘They are all very hard-working, diligent and able, and are not afraid of putting in the hard yards. They are also very flexible and adaptable due to being streamlined and agile.’
Commission Recovery Limited
Privinvest companies and Mr Iskandar Safa
Claimants against Wind Energy Holdings Limited
Georgian Co Investment Fund
Bugsby Property LLC
Profile Security Services Ltd
Investors in Old Mutual & Friends Provident products
Global Growth (Atlanta Bidco Limited)
SG Group Claimants
Cellcom Telecommunications Ltd
Members of the Barclay family (UBOs of the Daily Telegraph, Yodel, and previously the Ritz Hotel)
- Representing Commission Recovery Limited in a ground-breaking claim for recovery of alleged secret commissions earned from commercial referral arrangements.
- Representing Privinvest in a high-value and hard-fought Commercial Court Claim brought by the Republic of Mozambique against Credit Suisse, Privinvest and others.
- Representing the former management of the Thai company Wind Energy Holdings Limited (“WEH”) in an extremely high value and complex matter involving multiple parties with allegations spanning over three years.
With ‘smart, savvy, and creative’ Sophie Eyre and ‘excellent and experienced’ Jonathan Speed at its helm, the team at Bird & Bird LLP is committed to acting on precedent-setting data and tech-related disputes, and is frequently involved with complex and innovative IT projects and their related disputes. The recent high-profile Tulip Trading case, a key case in the cryptocurrency and blockchain space, is indicative of the team’s strengths, with Eyre leading the team that included associate Priyan Meewella. At associate level, Simona Peter and Russell Williamson are both also noted.
Sophie Eyre; Jonathan Speed
Other key lawyers:
Priyan Meewella; Simona Peter; Russell Williamson; Jeremy Sharman; Prashant Kukadia
‘Bird & Bird is highly knowledgeable, professional, and very client service-focused. They delivered excellent outcomes in a very difficult and complex case. I would highly recommend Bird & Bird to any company needing commercial litigation representation.’
‘Innovative fee structures. Very responsive and commercial.’
‘Sophie Eyre is very hard working, with great attention to detail. Works 100% in the client’s best interest.’
‘Extremely well organised, engaged and reliable.’
‘Jonathan Speed is an excellent and experienced partner with a calm manner and great strategic instincts.’
‘Russell Williamson is an outstanding associate who is extremely able and hard-working.’
‘Working with Simona Peter has been enjoyable because of both her in-depth knowledge of commercial disputes and her affable and competent demeanour. Simona is able to offer superb legal counsel that is effective and safeguards the client’s interests. She also takes the time to follow up and ensure that everything is still going as planned.’
‘Sophie Eyre is a smart, savvy and creative lawyer. It is a pleasure to work with her. She is committed and willing to go the extra mile.’
NAC Aviation 25 Limited
Aldus Portfolio Leasing Limited
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
XY ERS UK Limited
Aser Media Pte Limited and Andrea Radrizzani
Afriquia Gaz SA and Maghreb Gaz SA
Pret A Manger (Europe) Limited and EAT Limited
- Acted for a number of defendants in Tulip Trading Limited v Bitcoin Association and 15 Others, a key case on crypto disputes.
- Acting for Afriquia Gaz SA and Maghreb Gaz SA, two African gas companies, the defendants to a claim which has been issued in the Commercial Court by CA Indosuez (Switzerland) SA in relation to sums due under two invoices for the supply of commercial butane by Gulf Petrochem FZC, a UAE based oil company, to our clients.
- Assisting Cubic Defence UK Limited (“Cubic”) in relation to their procurement challenge against the Ministry of Defence (“MOD”). Cubic is a leading provider of systems and services for governments and commercial customers including military training solutions.
Boutique firm Cooke, Young & Keidan LLP specialises in commercial, corporate, and financial related litigation, acting for a roster of clients which includes a number of FTSE 100 companies. Tech related work is an increasing focus for the team, including many high-profile matters in the fintech and cryptocurrency area. The practice has continued to grow on the back of the arrival of Jon Felce and Natalie Todd from PCB Byrne LLP in April 2022. Other key practitioners in the team include Sinead O’Callaghan, Lydia Danon and Stephen Elam.
Other key lawyers:
Sinead O’Callaghan; Lydia Danon; Stephen Elam; Natalie Todd; Jon Felce; Sam Roberts; Rosie Wild; Elizabeth Meade
‘A very practical and knowledgeable team. CYK has a reputation, which I have seen from working with them in practice, of delivering clear, practical and tactical advice to those working with cutting edge technology.’
‘Sam Roberts is an industry leader. He is very practical but also knowledgeable. Both combine to mean that he inspires confidence in clients and really does have a very good technical knowledge of the underlying technology that his clients were working with.’
‘Jon Felce is an outstanding partner with a wealth of experience.’
‘During my long professional career, they have been one of the best law firms I have deal with, worldwide.’
‘Natalie Todd and Jon Felce really stand out as both technically excellent and very approachable.’
Domidias Limited and Merbau Synergy Limited/ Sian/Merbau
Jason Cox and Amaury Sechet
Olga Scherbakova and Alexander Scherbakov
PL Holdings Sarl (PLH)
ThinkMarkets (FCA and ASIC-regulated online trading broker)
iFinex Inc (trading as Bitfinex).
Investors in Echosense, a MedTech business
S&B Consultancy Services Limited (“S&B”)
Sovcomflot company defendants: Cally Shipholdings Inc, Vital Shipping Corporation, Dainford Navigation Inc, Tamara Shipholdings SA, Tuscany Maritime SA, Novoship (UK) Limited
- Acting for defendants in a $91m matter relating to an underlying fraud and secret profits dispute concerning sex tapes, secret documents and a Conservative peer.
- Acted for Topalsson GmbH in its claim for breach of contract against Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd relating to a failed software project
- Acting for the defendants in substantial cross-border dispute relating to the shareholding of FESCO, Russia’s largest intermodal transportation company.
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
The litigation practice at ‘top tier firm’ Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher handles the full gamut of commercial litigation, including complex-cross border disputes. Group litigation is a particular strength of the team, with Osma Hudda and Doug Watson both key names in this area, along with team head Philip Rocher. Rocher, along with Allan Neil and Susy Bullock all have extensive experience in offshore disputes. The in-house trial advocacy ability of the team is a key differentiator, led by Lord Charles Falconer KC, ‘absolutely one of the best litigators and counsel in London.’
Other key lawyers:
Osma Hudda; Doug Watson; Allan Neil; Susy Bullock; Lord Charles Falconer KC
‘A top tier law firm, offering a premium product.’
‘Gibson Dunn provides excellent client service, and unmatched expertise in-house through Lord Falconer and the other barristers in their team.’
‘Lord Falconer – remains one of the absolute best litigators and counsel in London. Lord Falconer has an exceptional feel for the court, and immaculate judgement as to how to present a case.’
John Wiley & Sons
Investcorp Bank B.S.C.
Forensic News LLC
Sheikh Mohammed Hussein Al-Amoudi and related parties
Litigation boutique Hausfeld & Co LLP fields a ‘very focused, efficient, and on the ball’ team, acting for a vast range of longstanding premium clients. ‘Polished operator’ John McElroy is the head of the ‘always collaborative’ team, recently acting on Covid-19 related matters. Noted practitioners include the ‘excellent’ Lianne Craig, who is the managing partner of the firm, ‘super responsive’ Ned Beale, and Anna Gilbert, who has ‘one of the sharpest legal minds’.
Other key lawyers:
Ned Beale; Duran Ross; Anna Gilbert; Lianne Craig
‘Ned Beale is a great person to work with. He is super responsive and always eager to assist, suggesting several options of the way out and highlighting pros and cons of each.’
‘Duran Ross has been our point of contact, and he is very responsive and always available and has a good grasp of all aspects.’
‘John McElroy is a polished operator. He keeps a keen eye on client objectives and effectively delivers.’
‘The Hausfeld commercial litigation team led by Ned Beale is very focused, efficient and on the ball. It’s very impressive indeed and I have found my experience of working with them to be second to none.’
‘Ned Beale is a very talented individual who is a creative lawyer and also has excellent judgment. Great at the big picture, but equally on top of hunting down the detail. He is great at adjusting gears and approaches depending on the situation and context. He has the trust of clients and manages a great team by example.’
‘The team at Hausfeld’s Dispute Resolution-Commercial Litigation practice are focused on goal achievement while always maintaining the highest degrees of sensitivity, empathy and humanity to its legal solutions and client management. Beyond their impeccable ethics and apex legal knowledge, they are reliably creative and fearless when it comes to legal strategy and tactics. They are collaborative when appropriate and always transparent.’
‘Anna Gilbert brings her A game every time, regardless of the legal matter at hand. She has one of the sharpest legal minds and results-focused determination I’ve come across in a litigator.’
‘Lianne Craig and Ned Beale are both excellent. Anna Gilbert is also hard working and pragmatic.’
PJSC Pharmaceutical Firm ‘Darnitsa’
Mr Ardeshir Naghshineh
Mr Cemal Ezel (CEO Change Please)
The Toorani Family
- Advised and represented our clients Trappit S.A., Trappit Tecnologias S.L. and 2MC Gestion Y Consultoria S.A in high-profile proceedings issued in the Chancery Division, Intellectual Property List, against GBT Travel Services UK Limited, American Express’ Global Travel Division – advised clients in very high profile and globally known defendant with a reputation at stake in both finance and travel service industry – the intellectual property that is subject of the claim is commercially significant and highly confidential in nature – complex claim with challenging legal issues.
- Advised in a high-profile LIBOR manipulation claim against a well-known commercial bank, in relation to the Targetfollow property portfolio, which was worth over £1 billion at its peak in 2007, and included landmark assets such as Centre Point, 70 St Mary Axe and Baskerville House in Birmingham. Our client is claiming damages for misrepresentation in respect of certain loans and interest rate hedging instruments agreed with BOS in 2007 and 2008.
King & Spalding LLP's London litigation practice is widely lauded for its track record of high-value and complex work, advising clients across sectors including real estate, energy, aviation, financial services, tech and commodities. The in-house advocacy abilities of the team are demonstrated by presence of four KCs, including Thomas K. Sprange KC, who leads the team alongside 'smart, charming, and responsive' Sarah Walker.
Sarah Walker; Thomas Sprange KC
Other key lawyers:
Ruth Byrne KC; Ben Emmerson KC; Kabir Bhalla; Egishe Dzhazoyan; Charity Kirby
‘King & Spalding have built an impressive commercial litigation team with strength and depth. They are a pleasure to work with; good communication and teamwork providing an excellent client service.’
‘Sarah Walker: an all-round excellent lawyer. knowledgeable legally and commercially, savvy on the tactical side, I would have (and have had) no reservations in recommending Sarah.’
‘Sarah Walker is a dream. Smart, charming and responsive.’
‘Egishe Dzhazoyan is a truly extraordinary lawyer in the sense that he uniquely combines such diverse talents and skills as intellectual rigour, strategic vision and ability to predict, attention to detail, tenacity and diligence as well as an ability to listen to clients’ needs and manage legal teams in fast moving and complex legal disputes in different jurisdictions. In addition, Egishe has an unparalleled business acumen and general knowledge when it to comes to assessing risks relating to business, political, geopolitical and other non-legal aspects of any dispute.’
‘Egishe Dzhazoyan is simply phenomenal and a dream lawyer for any client to have. I have used many English and international lawyers in the past, but I have never encountered someone who would so seamlessly straddle between several languages (he speaks five with a various level of proficiency!) and legal/business environments, while simultaneously staying on top of all relevant facts and matters.’
Attock Oil International Limited
International AirFinance Corporation
Global Jet Capital Holdings
Hexagon Holdings (Cayman) Limited
Motorola Solutions Inc
Pinewood Asia Pacific
Union Fenosa Gas
- Acts for Pinewood Technologies Asia Pacific Limited (as Claimant) in its claim against Pinewood Technologies PLC (a subsidiary of the listed car dealer group, Pendragon) heard in the High Court (Technology and Construction Court).
- Acts for GW Pharma in a dispute involving unpaid royalties for a seizure treatment.
- Acts in Commercial Court proceedings Hashwah & Ors. v QNB & Ors and Ben Emmerson KC and Kabir Bhalla act as advocates in separate King’s Bench proceedings BB & Ors. v Doha Bank & Ors.
Kirkland & Ellis International LLP has one of the ‘very top commercial litigation practices on both side of the Atlantic’, consisting of ‘experienced partners, and enthusiastic and diligent associates’. Of these, Rajinder Bassi leads the team, and is commended by one client for bringing ‘a clear head to provide practical solutions’. Noted practitioners include ‘bright and creative lawyer’ Noah Stewart-Ornstein, ‘committed litigator’ Jonathan Newman, and ‘commercial litigation superstar’ Richard Boynton.
Other key lawyers:
Noah Stewart-Ornstein; Jonathan Newman; Richard Boynton
‘‘Kirkland is one of the very top commercial litigation practices on both sides of the Atlantic. Their ability to co-ordinate the very largest cases across the world is enormously valued by big clients.’
‘Experienced partners, and enthusiastic and diligent associates.’
‘Rajinder Bassi is vastly experienced and brings a clear head to provide practical solutions.’
‘Noah Stewart-Ornstein is bright, immensely hard-working, highly articulate, and very able.’
‘Jon Newman is a committed litigator with a deep knowledge of the detail in any case.’
‘K&E’s litigation team is becoming a major player in the London litigation market, and they are now picking up some of the largest cases. They have a small, but exceptionally able, team.’
‘Richard Boynton is a commercial litigation superstar. Having worked with him on many cases, I can safely say he would be my first port of call for any major piece of commercial litigation. He’s massively brainy; he’s a first rate lawyer, with a very fine breadth of legal expertise; he’s brilliant at organising and running a massive case, and a large team; he’s immensely hard-working; he produces terrifyingly good documents; he’s a fearsome opponent; he’s a delightful team-leader and team-player; and he’s an excellent tactician. He’s monstrously good!
‘Rajinder Bassi is excellent. She, rightfully, has a massive practice. She has a wonderful manner with clients, and with every member of the team that she leads so adeptly; she’s an extremely thoughtful and able lawyer, and tactician; and she radiates both deep commercial experience and great confidence. Absolutely top quality.’
Appian Capital Advisory
Silver Point Capital
Varde Partners, Inc.
AQR Capital Management
Ad Hoc Group of holders of GKN’s bonds
Capstone Investment Advisors
Galapagos Bidco SARL
DRW Trading Group
LivePerson Netherlands BV.
Winton Capital Management
Winton Capital Management
- Representing two funds sponsored by Appian (a London-based private equity fund focused on investments in mines and mining-related businesses) in high-value litigation stemming from the termination of a USD1.2 billion sale of two Brazilian mines by Appian to Sibanye Stillwater Limited, a major South African mining concern and the world’s largest producer of platinum.
- Representing a group of bondholders in a dispute relating to an alleged event of default arising out of an intended to demerger by Melrose PLC of two parts of the business of its subsidiary GKN, which the bondholders claim results in the repayment of the bonds at par plus accrued interest.
- Representing the Galapagos entities (a group ultimately held by funds sponsored by European private equity fund Triton Partners) in litigation across four jurisdictions which stems from but is wholly separate to a complex USD800 million restructuring.
‘Brilliant litigation boutique’ Seladore Legal acts on high-value multi-jurisdictional disputes, with specific expertise in fraud, asset tracing, and enforcement disputes. ‘Tenacious lawyer’ Simon Bushell leads the ‘strong legal team with excellent technical capabilities’, regularly acting for large corporates, private equity houses, and financial institutions. Also of note are ‘immensely hard-working, able, and insightful litigators’ Gary Milner-Moore, Gareth Keillor, and Kevin Kilgour.
Other key lawyers:
Gary Milner-Moore; Gareth Keillor; Kevin Kilgour
‘Seladore is a boutique practice specialising in commercial litigation in particular in fraud and brings an enormous skill and experience to that sector, in particular at partner level’.
‘A brilliant litigation boutique, packed with hand-picked litigators who trained and practiced at big City firms, Seladore offers a superb commercial disputes resolution service with lean, partner-led teams who work with the pick of the commercial Bar. Punches massively above its weight.
‘Senior partner Simon Bushell is a hugely experienced litigator, who has seen it all. An expert in cross-border civil fraud. asset tracing and complex multi-jurisdictional disputes, he is a force to be reckoned with and feared by opponents’
‘Simon Bushell – tenacious lawyer. Kevin Kilgour – safe pair of hands. Gareth Keillor – strong legal mind.’
‘Strong legal team with excellent technical capabilities and commercial lawyers’.
‘Small but agile firm punching well above its weight’.
‘Gareth Keillor litigates and arbitrates with intensity and deep analytical insight, whilst remaining charming to deal with. He is across every detail and drives hard on behalf of his clients.’
‘Simon Bushell brings a career’s experience, and Gary Miler Moore, Gareth Keilor and Keving Kilgour are immensely hard-working, able, and insightful litigators’
Liquidators of Kidman Asset Management Ltd
Sian Participation Corp
Group of shareholders
- Acting for companies in the SGS Group in a very high-stakes (US$1bn+), multi-pronged dispute concerning control of a major Russian company, FESCO.
- Instructed by one of multiple defendants in relation to the huge multi-party fraud claim brought by the Kuwait Public Institution for Social Security (PIFSS), against Fahad Al-Rajaan and others.
- Acting for a shareholder in an unfair prejudice dispute concerning a challenger bank.
The London practice at Sidley Austin LLP acts across a wide range of sectors, advising high-profile clients in industries including media and events, retail, pharma and insurance. Sanctions related work is a mainstay of the team led by Matthew Shankland; a solicitor advocate who handles a steady stream of complex high-profile litigation, with experience in the High Court as well as international arbitration tribunals worldwide. Andrew Fox is key to the team, with particular knowledge of commodities brokerage, oil and gas logistics, and branding and licensing.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Fox; Alastair Hopwood; Sarah Lainchbury
Darty Holdings SAS
Brightline Holdings LLC
- Representing Fnac Darty in relation to an application issued in the High Court under the Insolvency Act 1986 by the additional liquidator of Comet.
- Defending Brightline Holdings LLC (formerly Virgin Trains USA LLC) against a damages claim commenced before the English High Court by Virgin Enterprises Limited.
- Acted for SRS Acquiom on behalf of a consortium of venture capital shareholders who disposed of their equity in Arvelle Therapeutics. Shortly after completion, the buyer, Angelini Pharma, sought to withhold consideration on the basis that the management of former management of Arvelle had misled Angelini about the status of certain clinical trials.
Elite US firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (UK) LLP is known for its ‘exceptional team of litigators for the largest cases’ – the team has a track record of work on landmark disputes for multinational companies and major domestics, handling contentious matters concerning M&A, joint ventures, shareholder agreements, and directors’ duties. Kate Davies KC leads the team that consists of David Kavanagh KC, ‘one of the best litigators in the City of London’, ‘heavyweight litigator’ David Edwards and Bruce Macaulay, who ‘stands out for his fantastic judgement and cool, calm presence’. Daniel Gal KC is noted.
Kate Davies KC
Other key lawyers:
David Kavanagh KC; David Edwards; Bruce Macaulay; Daniel Gal KC
‘I rate David Edwards highly – he is smart, cool, calm and collected. An effective ally and a gracious opponent. I have worked on cases with him and against him for 15 years and he is quality.’
‘Skadden continue to have an exceptional team of litigators for the largest cases.’
‘Bruce Macaulay stands out for his fantastic judgement and cool, calm presence – just a delight to work with and incredibly effective on behalf of his clients.’
‘David Kavanagh KC is one of the best litigators in the City of London. Now focusing on doing his own advocacy in international arbitrations. Bruce Macaulay is an exceptional lawyer and brilliant analyst of the correct tactics to adopt in a case. Very good with clients and very personable.’
‘Daniel Gal leads an impressive international team which work seamlessly. Their team work and co-ordination is very impressive.’
‘Daniel Gal – first class application of academic brilliance to commercial reality and pragmatism.’
‘They are very user friendly and commercial. They are able to give excellent advice which is aware of the commercial environment but still lands the key points.’
‘David Edwards gives you complete confidence that you are in safe hands. He’s extremely responsive and user-friendly for such a heavyweight litigator.’
Renaissance Financial Holdings Limited
- Secured a significant victory in the UK Supreme Court on behalf of French paper company Sequana S.A. and the former directors of one of its subsidiaries, AWA.
- Representing the trustees of five purpose trusts which are defending complex multi-jurisdictional proceedings before the Bermuda, Hong Kong and US courts. The claims are for approximately $30 billion.
- Representing an ultra-high net worth individual, philanthropist and related corporate entities in relation to litigation in the Cayman Islands and BVI. The litigation relates to investments made by our client in excess of $500 million and is multi-jurisdictional in nature.
The ‘formidable’ practice at Taylor Wessing LLP acts for large UK and international organisations on leading commercial disputes, regularly handling complex, multijurisdictional matters. Andrew Howell is the head of the disputes and investigation practice, with expertise in the financial and professional services sectors, as well as professional negligence. ‘Unique lawyer‘ Katie Chandler has ‘outstanding legal skills, fully understands the client’s needs and has a good sense of humour‘, and is noted alongside ‘out of the box thinker‘ Richard Viegas. At associate level, ‘superb’ Lucy Waddicor is noted.
Other key lawyers:
Katie Chandler; Richard Viegas; Lucy Waddicor; David de Ferrars; Stuart Broom; Julian Randall; Shane Gleghorn
‘Stuart Broom s a very result oriented solicitor. He was the lead partner of our case. He was very fast in his replies. He and the team always delivered in a timely manner.’
‘They’re a formidable team who understands what is needed and what is necessary. Their presence on a deal is always reassuring because the team’s collaborative knowledge and skill sets make them the best at what they do.’
‘We recently moved to Taylor Wessing – our experience has been a happy one.’
‘Richard Viegas is exceptional. A lateral, out of the box thinker, who is nimble and completely on top of the case, available 24/7. We are lucky to be working with Richard. He ‘gets’ commercial, has excellent business acumen, thinks ahead, and in my opinion, one of the best litigators in London.’
‘Lucy Waddicor is superb. She has granular knowledge of matters at hand and is always on the ball. She gave us great confidence and is a wonderful person to work with.’
‘We are regularly working with Taylor Wessing on a global scale. This matter involved the London team – they are client oriented, hands on, know the industry and fully understand the client’s needs. Highly recommended!’
‘Katie Chandler is a unique lawyer – outstanding legal skills, fully understands the client’s needs and has a good sense of humour! Katie and her team have assisted us in very difficult negotiations – Katie knows how to fight for her clients!’
Mr Zafar Khan (former CFO of Carillion plc)
Konkola Copper Mines Plc
Sidawi v Rawi
- Acting for Mr Zafar Khan in relation to an investigation by the Enforcement Division of the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) into the affairs of Carillion plc.
- Acted for Konkola Copper Mines plc, the second defendant, in the long running and well publicised environmental group litigation brought by 3,690 residents of the Chingola district of Zambia.
- Acting for MUSST Holdings in its successful claims for breach of contract against leading hedge fund Astra Asset Management.
Jamie Maples sits at the helm of the ‘focused, elite commercial litigation practice‘ at Weil, Gotshal & Manges (London) LLP; the team regularly advises global corporates and private equity sponsors on complex litigation, investigations, arbitrations, and regulatory matters. Restructuring litigation is also within the expertise of the ‘extremely able high-quality team of technically proficient lawyers‘. Noted practitioners include ‘star junior partner’ Christopher Marks, with expertise in complex cross-border insolvencies, and ‘proactive and responsive’ Hayley Lund.
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Marks; Hayley Lund; Jamie Maples; Frankie Cowl; Sarah Chaplin; Matthew Gibbon; Charlotte de Vitry
‘Weil has a focused, elite commercial litigation practice that attracts some of the best commercial disputes going. They recruit only the best and, after a couple of decades in the game, now benefit from exceptional depth of quality. They have particular experience acting for private equity houses and have a loyal following in this sector.’
‘The team provide proactive and commercial support to our business and are our go-to where we have any disputes or contentious matter. They’ve really taken the time to understand our business and culture to ensure we get the right level of advice and support at the right time.
‘Hayley Lund is proactive and responsive and provides alternative perspectives and solutions.’
‘Jamie Maples is great – well-established as an experienced litigator.’
‘Jamie Maples is a seasoned, commercial and all round excellent litigator. Chris Marks is a star junior partner.’
‘Christopher Marks is a fantastic litigator – commercial and no nonsense in his approach and with a good sense of which points are worth running.’
‘An extremely able high-quality team of technically proficient lawyers. Really excellent, in-depth.’
Administrators of VTB Capital
Ad Hoc Group of VEON Bondholders
Asia Research & Capital Management Ltd
Joint Special Administrators of MF Global UK Limited
Stuart Sybersma/David Soden as joint official liquidators of Abraaj Investment Management Limited
- Acted for the administrators of VTB Capital on the $1bn+ High Court claim against the Republic of Mozambique in the widely reported “tuna bonds” litigation.
- Acted for Microsoft in its challenge to the CMA’s headline-grabbing decision to block its $68.7 billion merger with video games giant Activision Blizzard King.
- Shop Direct Finance Company Limited (the consumer finance arm of The Very Group, the major online retailer), in relation to alleged PPI mis-selling.
Arnold & Porter has a widely lauded practice, with impressive multijurisdictional capabilities as well as in-depth experience in commercial and corporate disputes related to the pharmaceutical sector. Hilton Mervis leads the team; he has decades of experience litigating high-value, complex disputes for corporations, private equity firms, and high-net-worth individuals. Also of note are Jane Wessel, with complementary competition experience, and Charlotte Mallorie, along with commercial barrister William Paris.
Other key lawyers:
Jane Wessel; Charlotte Mallorie; William Paris
‘A small but very high quality disputes team with some excellent individuals.’
‘Hilton Mervis has huge experience across a range of commercial litigation. Charlotte Mallorie is a true star – she is completely unflappable and invariably in total control of the situation.’
‘Hilton Mervis sets the tone of the practice. He is simply a unique individual who has huge experience and will always think outside the box.’
‘Charlotte Mallorie is a stand out counsel – efficient and on top of the detail.’
‘Jane Wessel is an impressive partner – good judgement, sensible and pragmatic.’
‘Charlotte Mallorie has been very tenacious in continuing to look for ways to resolve continuous hurdles. An amazing attitude and work ethic.’
‘Friendly, responsive, cool under fire. I have been working closely with the firm for four years now – they have been a joy to work with.’
‘Jane Wessel – super experienced with a wry sense of humour.’
Wm Morrison Supermarkets Limited
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd
Instrument Product Design Limited
Bracewell (UK) LLP's practice has a 'specialist expertise in energy sector disputes', acting on high-profile matters across the wind, solar, battery storage, and carbon capture industries, assisting companies in their transition towards alternative energy forms. 'Strategic thinker' John Gilbert is the head of the team, advising on a wide range of disputes related to oil and gas exploration and production, with 'standout operator' Alistair Calvert also integral to the team.
Other key lawyers:
Alistair Calvert; Robert Meade; Madalena Houlihan; Laura Watt; Jameela Bond; Laura Watt
‘Bracewell are real specialists. Part of their strength is that they operate as a relatively small team, which allows them to act quickly and efficiently. Bracewell compare very favourably to other firms. They are a pleasure to work with.’
‘The key individuals are John Gilbert, Robert Meade and Maddie Houlihan. Each of them are incredibly good, easy to work with, and very collaborative. Clients love them. They are hugely responsive, commercially savvy and tactically minded.’
‘Excellent lawyers, specialising in the oil and gas and energy sectors.’
‘Alistair Calvert is a standout operator. He is one of the few people that I would send my own litigation to, were I to have any. I can think of no higher praise. I would also highlight Jameela Bond, an excellent associate doubtless soon to be made up to partner.’
‘A well rounded practice which can draw on a broad range of expertise, but with good expert knowledge of particular sectors drawn from previous experience.’
‘They have a specialist (almost boutique) expertise in energy sector disputes, with real experience of trials in this sector.’
‘John Gilbert is a strategic thinker who provides practical advice, with real understanding of the technical and regulatory issues that arise in this context. Laura Watt is an up and coming star who works tirelessly for her clients on complex and challenging matters.’
Ultra-high net worth individuals, multinationals, and major financial institutions all turn to Brown Rudnick LLP to handle multi-jurisdictional, complex disputes. The London litigation and arbitration practice group is co-led by Neill Shrimpton and Jane Colston; other key names include Jessica Lee, who was recently promoted to partnership.
Other key lawyers:
Jane Colston; Jessica Lee
‘Specialist team with a deep understanding of the area of law. Very well respected in the industry.’
‘The demonstrate strategic thinking and understanding of all parties’ requirements and constraints.’
‘Jane Colston and Jessica Lee both have exceptional knowledge and are able to understand that for the client the case is personal, therefore they are able to deliver a even better service.’
Recovery Partners G.P. Limited and Revoker LLP
Various Investors v RSA Insurance Group Limited (formerly RSA Insurance Group PLC)
Group of Shareholders v Barclays Plc
Group of Shareholders v Standard Chartered Plc
Ballinger & Co Ltd
Francois Cordier, Leko France, Leko Ventures, Leko ESOP
- Acts for the Claimants in this matter which concerns the unlawful diversion of a business opportunity to provide services to members of the surviving family of the deceased Georgian billionaire Arkadi Patarkatsishvili, whose estate came under attack in the period following his unexpected death in 2008 from various individuals including Boris Berezovsky and Joseph Kay and from the Georgian government.
- acted for a group of 72 institutional investors against RSA Insurance Group Limited (“RSA”) in claims under section 90A of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. The group claims damages in excess of £150 million arising from their reliance on alleged untrue and misleading statements and omissions in the defendant’s published information, alternatively alleged dishonest delay in publishing relevant information.
- Acts for an individual defendant accused of fraud, conspiracy, and money laundering in the context of a grand corruption case concerning the Kuwaiti state pension fund.
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
Under the leadership of James Wareham, Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP's offering focuses on M&A, finance, and investment disputes, with impressive in-house advocacy capabilities furthered by a team of barristers who primarily practised at the Bar before joining the team. 'Hardworking and dedicated' James Barratt is one such member of the team, along with 'standout partner' James Kitching. The team grew at associate level in June 2022, with the arrival of Daniel McCarthy from Joseph Hage Aaronson LLP.
Other key lawyers:
James Barratt; James Kitching; Daniel McCarthy; Sulman Iqbal; Kimberley Taieb
‘The team is very strategic in its work. It provides very high quality service efficiently.’
‘The specific stand out partner is James Kitching. He thinks strategically about matters and surrounds himself with a high quality team.’
‘James Barratt has decades of experience as a commercial litigator.’
- Instructed to act for international shipping and leisure consortium, the Libra Group, and a principal director, in connection with their defence of a civil fraud claim worth in excess of US$15m.
- Acts for international shipping and leisure consortium, the Libra Group, and a principal director, in connection with their defence of another commercial claim worth in excess of $45m.
Goodwin has a ‘dynamic and growing litigation team‘ with vast expertise across the private equity, funds, venture capital, and financial service industries. The practice was launched in April 2020 with the arrival of ‘first class litigator‘ Oliver Glynn-Jones from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, who works across corporate and financial litigation. The bench strength of the team continues to expand, with the firm adding Sarah McAtominey from Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner in early 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah McAtominey; Grace Boos
‘A dynamic and growing litigation team, ably led by the excellent Oliver Glynn Jones.’
‘Oliver Glynn Jones is a first class litigator, combining excellent judgement with an easy manner. He’s totally committed to his clients and always focused on achieving the optimum outcome in any dispute.’
‘I have been impressed by the collaborative work. It’s clear partners listen to associates and associates bring something to the table. As a client, I like knowing there is direction from an experienced partner but that work is delegated to an invested associate when appropriate. The advice received is very practical.’
‘I have found the individuals approachable and nimble. They adapt their style, which has ranged from aggressive when required to conciliatory. I have appreciated that they never lose sight of our key objectives, their advice is commercial and practical.’
‘A small, but excellent team, focused on delivering for their clients. Real expertise in fund and company litigation.’
‘I have been particularly impressed with the quality of their senior associates. Grace Boos, in particular, shows great maturity and insight. One to watch for the future.’
The litigation practice at Greenberg Traurig, LLP has expertise across financial services, civil fraud, asset recovery, and contentious regulatory work. The team, which is headed by European litigation chair Masoud Zabeti , regularly advises on multijurisdictional matters.
Other key lawyers:
Kathryn Garbett; Claire Broadbelt; Annabel Thomas; Hannah Blom-Cooper; Mohammed Khamisa KC;
‘They listened to us and, rather than trying to sound smart and score points, they really understood our position. Not typical with other legal professionals.
‘Greenberg Traurig has a very strong team with real strength in depth across the department. They are able to take on the biggest cases and most complex cases with which other firms would struggle. They are also very down to earth. They are particularly known for their civil fraud work, both for claimants and defendants, where they have a market leading team.’
‘Annabel Thomas is excellent. She’s very sensible, has excellent judgement and really knows the law. She’s also very commercial and sensitive to client’s needs.’
Crane Bank (and its shareholders)
Bank Frick & Co A.G
Tradition Financial Services
- Advising Ugandan bank, Crane Bank, and its shareholders, as claimants in respect of a claim issued against 15 defendants following special measures taken by the Central Bank of Uganda as part of a corrupt scheme to take control of Crane Bank and misappropriate its assets.
- Defending Bank Frick in a claim made by the Deposit Guarantee Fund for Individuals (DGF), as liquidator of National Credit Bank (NCB), due to alleged transactions defrauding creditors as part of a money laundering scheme devised by senior managers at NCB to extract assets from NCB.
Milbank has a ‘growing team of commercial litigators, with a particular emphasis on fraud claims’, and are seen as ‘great at large team litigation’. The team's strengths are exemplified by its work for Visa on significant interchange litigation over the last decade. Julian Stait does a ‘huge proportion of the work for Visa’ and leads the team that consists of ‘incisive, results-oriented’ Mona Vaswani and ‘future star’ Conrad Marinkovic.
Other key lawyers:
Mona Vaswani; Conrad Marinkovic
‘Great at large team litigation.’
‘A growing team of commercial litigators, with a particular emphasis on fraud claims.’
‘Mona Vaswani is a hugely experienced and able commercial litigator, particularly in large international civil fraud claims. A go to person in the field.
‘Julian Stait is utterly meticulous, a very safe pair of hands, who does a huge proportion of the litigation work for Visa’.
‘Conrad Marinkovic is one to watch, a future star’
‘Mona Vaswani is one of the top litigators in the market.’
‘Mona Vaswani is a go-to practitioner for commercial clients with substantial disputes. She is incisive, results-oriented and handles clients brilliantly’
‘Mona Vaswani is one of the outstanding litigators of her generation – a superb strategist. Outstanding and adept at managing clients and co-counsel.’
Visa Inc., Visa International Service Association, Visa Europe Limited, Visa Europe Services LLC and Visa UK Limited
Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.
Drax Group Plc
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP has a ‘dynamic and effective’ litigation practice, and for one client, is ‘up there with the best of the magic circle firms.’ Melanie Ryan, a ‘great litigator’, represents clients across disputes in banking, financial services, and energy, and leads the team. Chris Warren-Smith, co-chair of the firm’s white collar and corporate investigations practice, is key to the team, along with ‘clever, shrewd litigator’ Peter Sharp and ‘highly experienced’ David Waldron.
Other key lawyers:
Chris-Warren Smith; Paul Mesquitta; Keir Baker; David Waldron; Peter Sharp
‘The Morgan Lewis team led by Chris Warren-Smith is highly dynamic and effective and to my mind one of the best litigation teams in the City – right up there with the best of the magic circle firms.’
‘Three individuals stand out: Chris Warren-Smith, the wisest of wise old birds; Paul Mesquitta, who has an exceptionally acute mind; and Keir Baker. I pay particular tribute to Keir. He is a relatively junior associate, but his work is truly remarkable. With his exceptional intelligence and enjoyable sense of humour, he deserves to be ranked higher than his years in the job might suggest.’
‘Paul Mesquitta is a highly regarded litigation partner. Although junior he is involved in big ticket litigation. He is particularly good at insurance related disputes. He has great foresight and planning so that the whole course of the case is carefully choreographed. A fine legal brain and an effective leader.’
‘Melanie Ryan is a great litigator with a very good following. She is hugely experienced and has a great ability to get to the nub of the problem clearly and decisively. Her pragmatism and thoroughness always sets up the client for the best outcome.’
‘Chris Warren-Smith is a highly-experienced across a range of high-value litigation and investigations work, frequently with an international aspect. Strong banking and financial services practice, representing institutions in numerous cases.’
‘David Waldron is highly experienced across the range of high-value disputes work. Extensive experience of energy disputes and financial litigation. Rolls up his sleeves and gets involved in the detail. Under-promises and over-delivers.’
‘Peter Sharp is a clever, shrewd litigator, with vast experience across energy, financial services, insurance and aviation.’
Morrison Foerster‘s team has the ‘capability to deliver on high-value and complex litigation’, representing multinational public companies in disputes across the high court and court of appeal, with particular expertise in tech and finance related litigation. Jonathan Wheeler – ‘a litigator at the top of his game’ – leads the team, with a focus on complex cross-border disputes. The team was boosted by the arrival of Holly Bambury from Herbert Smith Freehills LLP in mid-2022, as well as the arrival of Ben Summerfield from Reed Smith LLP in October 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Chiraag Shah; Gemma Anderson; Richard Jerman; Holly Bambury; Laura Steen; Ben Summerfield
‘A relatively small team in London, but one of high quality and with the capability to deliver on high-value and complex litigation.’
‘The MoFo team is stocked with highly intelligent lawyers, who are also thoroughly decent human beings, which is a blessing when the workload is high and the tension mounts. Standouts include Richard Jerman and Laura Steen – super intelligent and refreshingly practical/commercial. Jonathan Wheeler is a litigator at the top of his game, focused, available, and respected by clients and counsel alike.’
‘Strong, focused team with good client management skills.’
- Representing Fujitsu Services Limited in relation to an extremely high-profile and significant matter, which concerns the Horizon IT System provided by FSL to the UK Post Office from 1999 to date.
- Defending one of the Louwman Group’s holding companies against an English High Court claim brought by MRL alleging unlawful means of conspiracy and breach of contract.
Litigation boutique Pallas Partners LLP has ‘taken the legal world by storm’ since its inception in 2022, and is commended by one client for its ‘vast experience, tactical nous, and legal expertise’. Head of team Natasha Harrison is ‘very driven, innovative, focused’ and is responsible for the ‘bespoke and personalised service’ offered by the firm. Key to the team is ‘committed and clever’ Fiona Huntriss, ‘first-rate lawyer‘ Tracey Dovaston, and ‘razor sharp, efficient and effective‘ counsel Alessia de Quincey.
Other key lawyers:
Fiona Huntriss; Matt Getz; Tracey Dovaston; Alessia De Quincey
‘I have worked closely with the team of Natasha Harrison and Tracey Dovaston. They embody the perfect approach essential in heavy commercial litigation – i.e. tireless and vigorous pursuit of their clients’ claims coupled with overarching commonsense and realism to achieve the best possible result in any circumstances. Add to this their vast experience, tactical nous, and legal expertise – and you have the safest of safe hands and a winning teams for any client.’
‘A new boutique that operates conflicts free, Pallas appear to offer a more bespoke and personalised service than I have seen on other matters.’
‘The fact that Pallas focus on excellence in challenging commercial and financial services disputes is evident with every person at the firm one talks to. It is also so refreshing to see a firm putting diversity and mental health at the core of its business. We are weary of firms who pay lip service to these things but don’t ‘walk the walk’. Pallas definitely does and that is because of Natasha Harrison’s determined vision and leadership.
‘Natasha Harrison has, since I first met her more than 10 years ago has always been passionate about how she achieves a good outcome for the client – it feels like she really lives the case for the client, determined to get the most efficient resolution of the claim, carefully examining it from every angle to find a way to achieve that. It is hard to beat Natasha for strategic thinking on a case.
‘Pallas have taken the legal world by storm since they were established. All over the biggest and best cases they bring outstanding experience, brilliant lawyers and courage to their cases giving their clients a unique advantage in the sector.’
‘Natasha Harrison – clients love her, very driven, innovative, focused. Fiona Huntriss – spectacular; committed and clever. She has so much energy and is very sensible.’
‘Alessia De Quincey is a brilliant legal professional and a rising star in her field. She is razor sharp, efficient and effective in everything she does.’
‘Tracey Dovaston is a first-rate lawyer. Calm, experienced, and well-connected, she defends her client’s interests vigorously and effectively. She works extremely hard for her clients but never fails to step back and see the bigger picture, which leads her to deploy third party resources to great effect. She is a strategic thinker, a strong communicator and an excellent team leader.
Lloyds Bank / Scottish Widows
The Association of Litigation Funders
- Acting as lead counsel for a large group of institutional investors in connection with a circa £2 billion-plus claim against Glencore, a major natural resources company, and others under Section 90 of the Financial Services & Markets Act 2000 (FSMA).
- Representing the ALF, the self-regulatory body of litigation funders in England and Wales, in the UK Supreme Court proceedings concerning the validity of funding agreements raised in the context of CAT proceedings against truck manufacturers.
- Representing VR Capital, Farallon Capital Management and Moza Banco in relation to claims brought against the Republic of Mozambique and Credit Suisse, relating to the non-payment of the US$622 million ProIndicus loan.
Dorothy Murray and Steven Baker are the key names for litigation in Proskauer Rose LLP‘s London base, with experience in a wide range of disputes concerning M&A, employment, contractual matters, partnerships and joint ventures. Asset managers, private equity firms, investment banks, and major corporates all rely on the expertise of the team. At associate level, Alexis Namdar, Julia Bihary and Charles Bishop are noted.
Dorothy Murray; Steven Baker
‘A brilliant all-round approach sets them apart: they know how to win the client’s trust and then absolutely nail the client’s objectives.’
‘Steven Baker – outstanding rainmaker and team builder. Pragmatic but with a superb legal brain.’
‘Steven Baker is a class act – oozing talent.’
‘Strong and speedy investigation of the facts and recommended actions.’
‘Clear, succinct, knowledgeable.’
‘Emerging in the London market. Impressive and growing caseload. Beginning to break out into the big league’
Goldman Sachs International
Lion Capital LLP
- Advising Goldman Sachs International in a complex multi-party, multi-jurisdictional proceedings arising out of the transfer of assets and liabilities of a collapsed bank in a EU member state to a ‘bridge’ bank, including the legal effect under the European Banking Recovery and Resolution Directive of various resolutions of the member state’s central bank on the transferability of a substantial loan.
- Advised private equity firm Lion Capital LLP and entities within its group in a dispute with the former majority shareholder and director of the fashion retail chain All Saints, after Lion Capital acquired shares in All Saints.
- Advising the Nigerian-American founder of an Africa-focused oil and gas exploration business (the Lekoil group), and CEO of the Lekoil group’s main operating company, Lekoil Nigeria Limited, in a dispute with the parent company of the Lekoil group about a director loan.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher (UK) LLP houses 'an impressive team with expertise in managing complex disputes'. The practice's expertise covers shareholder disputes, fraud cases, restructuring litigation, and insurance-related cases. It also has notable cross-border litigation credentials, particularly in relation to parallel UK-US matters. Peter Burrell focuses on complex cross-border matters, along with disputes involving financial fraud, securities, insider dealing, tax evasion, and financial reporting issues; and Simon Osborn-King is 'a highly talented lawyer'. Recently elevated partner Jerry Healy acts in a range of commercial disputes, while the experience of associate Giles Harvey also incorporates large-scale commercial litigation cases.
Other key lawyers:
Simon Osborn-King; Jerry Healy; Giles Harvey
‘A strong multi-jurisdictional set-up, with good availability.‘
‘Peter Burrell, Simon Osborn-King, Jerry Healy and Giles Harvey are all particularly impressive members of this busy team.‘
‘Peter Burrell is a force to be reckoned with.’
‘Simon Osborn-King is a star! He is client focused and a no-nonsense practitioner.‘
‘Simon Osborn-King is a highly talented lawyer, who is very commercial and highly responsive.‘
‘Hardworking, great with clients, and results driven.‘
‘The Willkie team is excellent and has good strength in its London litigation group.‘
‘An impressive team with expertise in managing complex disputes. Great to work with.‘
Buttonwood Legal Capital
- Acting for a high-profile Thai businessman in a $1bn-plus claim in the Commercial Court.
- Assisting Buttonwood Legal Capital with bringing a lawsuit against an investor, who had obtained $100m in arbitration against Egypt after his mining project was shut down.
- Acting for Man Group in its defence of a large-scale fraud-related dispute.
Winston & Strawn LLP has a 'outstanding team of international litigators' that has a 'depth of experience and judgement that sets them apart', with experience representing major clients on complex international litigation. The practice is particularly skilled in the aviation, shipping, energy, and technology sectors. 'Extremely knowledgeable and sharp' Ben Bruton heads the team; he works alongside Daniel Meagher, who 'brings a deep understanding of litigation to his clients', and 'extremely promising associate' Jake White.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Meagher; Jake White
‘Ben Bruton is an exceptional lawyer in this area. Extremely knowledgeable and sharp’
‘Ben Bruton has a fighting spirit, and a cool, calm demeanor. Ben will evaluate a claim from every angle, understand all its strengths and weaknesses, and will then leave no stone unturned in preparing work product for such claim that is head and shoulders above the competition.
‘Dan Meagher is the most level-headed lawyer with gets to grips with his cases and brings a deep understanding of litigation to his clients.’
‘An outstanding team of international litigators with particular US and Dubai experience, have a depth of experience and judgment that sets them apart. Also very good at coordinating and working collaboratively with lawyers in multiple jurisdictions.’
‘Ben Bruton is a class act, very astute, very good under pressure, very easy to deal with.
‘Jake White is an extremely promising associate.’
‘Ben Bruton is the main partner we work with and someone I value very much as a trusted advisor. I have also worked closely with Jake White. Jake is a really hands-on and dedicated associate who really works well with Ben.’