Real estate and construction in Lithuania
Cobalt advises Lithuanian and international clients on joint ventures, transactions, PPPs and various other real estate and construction matters. Simona Oliškevičiūtė-Cicėnienė, who heads up the department, is experienced in real estate development and asset management. In one notable mandate, she advised closed-ended investment fund LIM Verslo Trikampio NT Fondas on its acquisition of the Verslo trikampis office building complex in Vilnius from MG Valda.
BaltCap Infrastructure Fund
Orion Asset Management
Prosperus Asset Management
Geneba Properties N.V.
- Acted for Imlitex Holdings on the sale of business centre ARKA in Kaunas.
- Acted for Prosperus Real Estate Fund III, one of the largest real estate investment funds registered in Lithuania, on the acquisition of a shopping centre in Palanga from Venturecorp Property Holdings Limited and UAB Capital City Group.
- Advised state-owned railway company AB Lietuvos geležinkeliai on a planned brownfield project to convert over 33 hectares of territory near Vilnius train station to an integrated transport (train and bus), services and office hub with all related infrastructure and public areas.
Ellex's team, which provides 'legal advice of the highest quality', is experienced in commercial real estate lease transactions and major infrastructure projects, including the construction of airports and seaports. Audrius Petkevicius and Andrius Smaliukas co-lead the team. Also recommended is Dovile Stancikaite, who is active in real estate disputes and the management of shopping centres and office buildings. The 'extremely clever and competent' Julija Nikitaraviciene is an expert in distressed real estate issues, real estate transactions and the refinancing of real estate portfolios.
‘We deal with Ellex team in commercial real estate leasing matters mostly. The team shows exceptional knowledge in commercial real estate lease contracts and negotiations and provides legal advice of the highest quality.’
‘That team is absolutely the most professional, deep knowledge of real estate market, and is very service-minded and client-oriented, I like their proactive approach and early stage proposals for possible upcoming issues.’
‘Very capable, incredibly responsive around the clock. We have experience with three top-level Lithuanian law firms and this is clearly the No.1. Add to it the network of the managing partner making top-level political contacts available and helping to solve conflicts.’
‘Dovilė Stančikaitė is a real professional, and in our firms’ eyes the most experienced in the commercial lease matters among other firms lawyers. We know we can trust her our case, and she will negotiate and ensure the best conditions possible.’
‘Julija is extremely clever, competent, hard-working and solution-oriented. We wish she was our own employee.’
Baltic Sea Properties
- Assisting Kildare Partners with the acquisition of Technopolis real estate company.
- Acting for Lithuanian real estate development and management company VPH, with over €200m of projects in the pipeline.
- Advising Norwegian real estate investment and development company Baltic Sea Properties on a number of transactions.
Sorainen's practice provides an 'excellent legal service' to buyers and sellers of commercial real estate. It is also sought out to advise landlords and tenants on lease agreements and is also active in environmental assessments. Aušra Mudėnaitė has 'a hands-on approach' to real estate transactions, regulatory matters and litigation. Mudėnaitė co-heads the team with Kęstutis Adamonis, who is 'the go-to real estate lawyer in Lithuania', according to one client. Adamonis advised Swedish investment company Eastnine on the acquisition of a portfolio of three S7 business centres in Vilnius for €128m.
‘Excellent legal service provided by the real estate team.’
‘Good knowledge of market, strong pipeline of projects allowing Sorainen real estate and construction team to stay on top.’
‘Simonas Skukauskas is always ready to support. Very professional leading in the process. Advices based on his own and his co-workers experience are very valuable. Very good feeling of the situations in negotiations. Simonas Skukauskas and Ausra Mudėnaitė always can be recommended by Rewo to anyone who is searching for legal support in real estate field.’
‘Kęstutis Adamonis is our go-to real estate lawyer in Lithuania. He’s a safe pair of hands and understands our commercial drivers.’
‘Aušra Mudėnaitė – Top person in Lithuanian real estate development. Hands- on approach, has connections with all key stakeholders.’
- Acted for Misionierių namai, a Georgian capital company, on the €40m redevelopment of an old Soviet-style hospital into a luxurious residential complex with views to Vilnius Old Town.
- Advising Lithuanian insurance company Lietuvos draudimas on all legal matters relating to the development of a new office building in the Old Town of Vilnius.
- Advising development company Vilniaus miesto projektai, which is managed by Lords LB Asset Management, on all legal matters relating to the development of a former textile factory in Vilnius.
Averus is a strong choice for real estate and construction transactions and disputes. Its excellent reputation sees it act for local municipalities, real estate developers and investors. Lina Sime, who leads the practice, is experienced in territorial planning, real estate contracts and dispute resolution. Sime is representing Neringa Municipality in litigation against a contractor over the termination of an €8m contract to construct a tourism and cultural information centre in Neringa.
RB Rail AS
Lithuanian Shipping Agency
- Representing Neringa Municipality in numerous court cases over damage caused by illegally constructed buildings having to be demolished in Neringa.
- Represented a community of homeowners in court litigation over the illegal construction of 58 buildings which had been built in a nature reserve in Uikiai village.
- Advising a major oil supplier on entering long term agreements with a harbour stevedoring company in order to build and to exploit a specific terminal.
FORT assists clients with real estate acquisitions and the drafting and negotiation of lease agreements. Group head Rūta Radzevičiūtė-Meizeraitė assisted Newsec Property with drafting the property management agreement for the shared office space Monday Office in the newly-built business centre Green Hall II. Associate Aurelija Grigoravičiūtė-Rimeisienė is also recommended for her real estate expertise.
EfTEN Capital AS
EfTEN RYO UAB
Capital Mill OÜ
UAB Newsec Property Management LT
UAB “BALTIC AMADEUS”
- Representing 511th association for the construction and operation of garages in court litigation against the National Land Service in an investment dispute arising from the non-issuance of a permit to start construction of the commercial premises in the state-owned land plot which was leased by the client.
- Advising ELMORIS on the construction of a new production facility exceeding over 20,000 square metres.
- Advised EfTEN Real Estate Fund 4 on the acquisition of the shopping centre RYO in Panevėžys (Northern Lithuania).
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners
GLIMSTEDT Bernotas & Partners is a strong performer in PPP projects, real estate investment transactions, territorial planning and zoning, and real estate restructuring and financing, among other matters. Team head Kęstutis Jaskutėlis is experienced in major national real estate projects. Another key figure is Eivydas Sadauskas, who acts for domestic and foreign clients on infrastructure development projects. Sadauskas is advising the American International School of Vilnius on the construction of a new school building.
UAB Misionierių namai
International American School of Vilnius
- Acting for Impuls LTU on the construction of the largest Lemon Gym sport club in the Baltic region.
- Advised Vastint Lithuania on the construction of a 173-room Marriott hotel in Palanga on the Baltic Sea.
- Advised Linstow AS on the lease of a newly-constructed extension of the Radisson Blue Hotel in Vilnius.
Primus Derling displays 'knowledge, expertise and professionalism' in its real estate and construction practice. The team, which is jointly led by Ernesta Žiogienė and Robert Juodka, acts on real estate investment transactions, real estate finance deals, construction projects, planning matters, joint ventures and lease agreements. Žiogienė advised the Eksma Group on acquiring the factory building of Dvarčionių keramika in order to build a new complex for precision optics development and manufacturing. Juodka has particular experience of undertaking cross-border work involving Estonia.
‘Knowing the client’s needs makes the cooperation effective and efficient.’
‘The team possesses deep and cross practice knowledge necessary to advise on large industrial infrastructure projects. Very good feedback and dynamic during legal work which is valued during tightly scheduled construction projects.’
‘Knowledge, expertise and professionalism.’
‘Good contact, wide knowledge, helpful advice.’
DIFF Assets, Ltd.
- Acting for D&T Global in relation to a 100 hectare mixed-use development close to Vilnius.
- Representing Eviko AS in a cross-border dispute with a Lithuanian subcontractor over the construction of the Estonian National Road Museum.
- Advising Menard Polska on its activities in the Lithuanian construction market. The work includes drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements on construction works, designing works and subcontracting agreements etc.
TGS Baltic's highly regarded real estate team acts on transactions, development projects and regulatory matters. The 'talented' Dainius Stasiulis and 'professional' Sandra Bliuvaitė-Šulcienė head up the team, and are advising the GB Group (a private equity investment project development group of companies) on various real estate projects, including the development of several shopping centres in Lithuania. On the contentious side, Stasiulis has acted for clients in real estate disputes. Senior associate Vytautas Šilinskas is another notable individual.
‘The team is client-oriented and has practical experience of various issues in this field’
‘We appreciate both the efficiency and robustness of their proposed solutions, as well as an outstanding client-oriented attitude. Without a doubt, TGS Baltic showed good team work.’
‘We appreciate their business-minded solutions.’
‘Strong and detailed knowledge of real estate and construction market, effective solutions for company issues during negotiation processes.’
‘The team is experienced and each individual specialises in specific areas. This allows the team to be professional in different areas and provide advice on a very diverse spectrum of questions.’
‘Sandra Sulciene is a very reliable lawyer who is very attentive to the details. She is very professional and has great experience of regulatory issues.’
‘Dainius Stasiulis provides useful insights from his experience.’
‘Our case was led by senior associate Vytautas Silinskas. He proved to be a great professional with a deep understanding of the nature of the real estate business. We fully trusted Vytautas during the whole process.’
‘Senior partner Eugenija Sutkiene is exceptional at organising complex projects and offering creative solutions. Senior associate Vytautas Silinskas is awesome at creating value through negotiations.’
‘Dainius Stasiulis is a very experienced lawyer in Real estate and construction, having a broad track record in leading or participating in various deals and transactions in Lithuanian market (both public and private sectors). Very talented lawyer in structuring deals and agreements, with great business understanding.’
‘Sandra Bliuvaite-Sulciene specialises in land/sites related issues, very responsible and professional person.’
DS Smith Packaging Lithuania
- Advised UAB BIOK laboratorija, the biggest cosmetics manufacturer in Lithuania, on the acquisition of real property for the purpose of constructing a new production plant (with office and warehouse facilities) near Vilnius. Currently assisting the client with the implementation of the project.
- Advised Light Conversion (one of the world’s leading producers of scientific lasers) on the sale of real estate to high-tech company Eksma.
- Advised EUROVAISTINĖ – which manages one of the largest pharmacy chains in Lithuania – on the refurbishment of a EUROVAISTINĖ pharmacy located in the Akropolis shopping and entertainment centre.
WALLESS' newly-founded practice undertakes a mix of real estate development work, public procurement and real estate transactions. The 'professional and devoted' Evaldas Klimas, who co-leads the team with Povilas Zukauskas, acted for manufacturing company Vilniaus baldai on the development of the biggest manufacturing plant to be constructed in Lithuania in 2019. Associate Mantas Lideika is recommended, as is senior associate Akvile Mackay.
‘The real estate and construction team is rather young, yet very ambitious, helpful and professional.’
‘Responsible, competent in topical issues and provides a feeling of reliability and security.’
‘We work with Evaldas Klimas. Working with him is exceptional when dealing with atypical issues related to heritage (Old town territory) – the expertise and contacts that Evaldas has in these matters is very valuable.’
‘We are super happy with the people working for us.’
‘Evaldas Klimas is a very professional and devoted lawyer, who I highly trust and recommend.’
‘We are always impressed with Evaldas’ expertise, quality analysis of the situation and the depth of his insights. In practice, this has helped us solve complicated business matters. Services are delivered quickly, and discussions and feedback are always initiated, so that we, as a client, really feel taken care of.’
‘We have known Evaldas for many years, and he has remained a primary contact for legal assistance because of the credit he has gained with us in helping to solve issues. Evaldas has always treated every assignment with maximum attention, never differentiating if the matter was major or fairly routine. We were always addressed with complete attention and focus.’
‘Aiste Medeliene, Akvile Mackay and Evaldas Klimas are the key individuals we are in contact with almost every day. Based on my 20 years experience in the real estate sector, these are the best lawyers in their field.’
Lords LB Asset Management
Baltic Horizon Fund
Vilnius City Municipality Administration
LCN Capital Partners
- Advising Baltic Horizon Fund on the acquisition of a newly-built circa 8000 sq. m class B business centre Duetto II in Vilnius, with international anchor tenants from YIT Lietuva (the seller).
- Advised Euroforest AB on the sale of the second biggest forest portfolio in Lithuania (worth €50m).
- Advised Vaikystes soda on a major sale and leaseback transaction in Lithuania.
CEE Attorneys' practice is noted for its involvement in real estate development projects developed on public land and building permit disputes, among other matters. Managing associate Kristina Sabaliauskienė, who leads the team, is experienced in contentious matters about public land leases and problematic development projects. On the non-contentious side, Sabaliauskienė assisted Cargo Europe with negotiating a long-term lease agreement for its head office.
- Assisted Kormotech with drafting and negotiating a general construction work agreement for the construction of a factory in a free economic zone.
- Assisted Experimentica with reviewing an agreement granting an establishment right (the right to construct a medical laboratory building) in an area designated for a newly-established technology and science park.
- Assisted residential real estate developer Omberg with acquiring a plot of land designated for a new residential development in Vilnius.
Eversheds Saladžius (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)'s practice handles real estate and construction matters for clients across a wide range of sectors, including retail, healthcare and hospitality. In addition to being knowledgeable about all aspects of commercial and industrial real estate, the team is also strong in the residential property sphere. The joint heads of the group are Jonas Saladžius and Sigitas Groblys, who assisted Quality Development with the drafting and negotiating of a long-term commercial lease agreement. Tomas Rymeikis and Rimtis Puišys are also key individuals in the team.
Fortum Joniškis CHP
- Advised Iron Mountain on construction and real estate development matters.
- Advised heating and hot water production and supply company, Fortum Joniškis on the negotiation of a lease agreement in relation to facilities used for heat production.
- Assisted Brenntag with drafting a construction agreement for a major warehouse, as well as other real estate development matters.
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas
LEADELL Balčiūnas & Grajauskas' 'efficient and experienced' team acts on the development and acquisition of ports and energy infrastructure, as well as the development of real estate for residential and industrial purposes. The team is led by Gintaras Stankevičius, who advised KLASCO on the development and construction of a new petroleum and petrochemicals products terminal.
‘They are very efficient and experienced. I appreciate that they can keep the terms on time. They are able to provide professional advice in a wide range of business spheres.’
‘There is a wide range of partners and associates, and they can help in a variety of aspects. The main qualities we have discovered from working together are reliability, perfect legal knowledge and a professional approach.’
Gedimino prospektas, Ltd.
JSC Centrinis Klaipėdos terminalas
- Advised JSC Centrinis Klaipėdos terminalas on the acquisition of land plots and legal issues connected with business centre lease agreements as part of a strategy to expand its business.
- Advised JSC Kruizinių laivų terminalas on the ship repair business relocation and real estate investment project development, as well as sale process.
- Advised state enterprise Oro Navigacija on the design, construction and public procurement of the new air traffic control centre in Vilnius international airport.
Motieka & Audzevicius
Motieka & Audzevicius' team has 'an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the construction industry', and it has an excellent reputation among construction companies and real estate developers. Jovitas Elzbergas, who leads the team, is representing KOS invest in a dispute over a lease agreement of a public plot of land and the demolition of certain buildings. Elzbergas works with associate Donatas Lapinskas, who is active in real estate transactions and litigation.
‘Takes care of matters from start to finish without additional interference from the client.
‘The lawyers are really good and hard working.’
‘Has in-depth knowledge and understanding of construction industry and an ability to help manage complex or emergency matters. Our partnership with this law firm covers a wide range of issues, from strategic planning to litigation.’
‘Jovitas Elzbergas is the best.’
‘Partner Jovitas Elzbergas is appreciated for his unique understanding of the construction field, and his ability to evaluate and predict case outcomes clearly and reasonably. Associate Donatas Lapinskas specializes in managing complex litigation and has extensive experience of construction and contract law.’
- Representing AXIS Industries in a legal dispute with Alytus region waste management center (ARATC) over the alleged negligence of the employer to pay for construction works for a mechanical and biological waste treatment plant.
- Acting for RTS Infrastructure in a dispute with Kaunas region waste management centre (as the employer) over allegedly defective construction work carried out at mechanical and biological waste treatment plants in Kaunas and Kėdainia.
- Acting for Realinija on a residential development project in the Old Town of Vilnius, as well as related disputes with the local community and cultural heritage institutions.
AKJ Consultus' fields 'experts proficient in the sphere of real estate law', as is evidenced by the fact that the team advises government institutions and contractors on real estate transactions, spatial planning matters and construction projects. Managing partner Audrius Kairevičius is the head of the group.
‘The firm has experts proficient in the sphere of real estate law, who always maintain high ethical standards and an honest professional approach: Audrius Kairevičius, Povilas Juzikis, Dovile Versockaite.’
‘The team’s commercial knowledge of the real estate sector is exceptional and it is always a huge pleasure to work with such professionals.’
‘This team is probably the best in the real estate sphere.’
Deloitte Legal, Professional Partnership of Advocates
Deloitte Legal, Professional Partnership of Advocates advises an international client base on matters with a nexus to Lithuania, as well as on cross-border matters. The team is jointly led by Herkus Gabartas, who joined in September 2018 from UAB PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Simas Gudynas. Ieva Vaškinėlytė is also recommended.
‘The key advantages of Deloitte Legal is its ability to understand our business and find the best solution in every case.’
‘Herkus Gabartas and Ieva Vaskinelyte are professional and committed.’
Van Oord Dredging and Marine Contractors BV.
- Advised Charlot LT on the lease of state-owned land, which included dealing with the National Land Service and Centre of Registers in relation to registration and the lease of divided and joined state owned land plots.
- Advising TECE Baltikum on the negotiation of a lease of a new office and warehouse with a landlord.
- Advising Unilever on the negotiation of a lease for a new office.
ECOVIS ProventusLaw demonstrates strong capabilities, Kęstutis Kvainauskas at the helm of the practice. Kvainauskas acts on real estate transactions and construction projects, and is also sought out to represent clients in court litigation. Senior associate Paulius Gavelis, who has over ten years of experience, also has a varied practice.
‘They always have solutions to our problems. We usually have complicated legal issues, but ECOVIS ProventusLaw always finds the best solutions. Also, the team is very helpful and you can always get quick advice on a legal issue. I think this is due to good organisation and leadership.’
‘I have to say that my decision to co-operate with this law firm was right. I think that the strengths of this team are that its team is deeply knowledgeable about the regulations in the field of real estate and construction and it also constantly improves its competences. In addition, the team always communicates with me in a very simple and open way. I really appreciate that its communications are so easy to understand, even though I am not a lawyer.’
‘We have been cooperating with ECOVIS ProventusLaw for a long time, because of its professionalism and experience of real estate and construction. We chose this law firm because of its ability to provide a full range of services for real estate developers, starting from construction permits through to completion and financing of real estate projects. We are sure that everything will be done with the highest quality.’
‘Kęstutis Kvainauskas is a very good specialist and has many years of experience in legal issues. You can always relay on his advice; he is results- oriented. We also work with senior associate Milda Slekyte; you always get professional advice from her’
‘I would recommend partner Kestutis Kvainauskas and his team members senior associates Paulius Gavelis. They always communicate in a very simple and open way. Their knowledge about the laws and regulations is really impressive. In addition, I trust the strategy proposed by the team because I am sure that it is the most suitable way to get the result which I wanted to achieve.’
- Assisted Arctic Adventures with negotiating a lease agreement with MG Baltic.
- Representing a client in a series of civil and administrative disputes over ownership rights to a building and plot of land in Varėna, Lithuania.
- Advising UAB prekybos namai AGMA on a possible lawsuit against a prominent real estate developer in connection with the client losing a valuable land plot in a district in Vilnius, which was allegedly due to the actions of the respondent developer.
Magnusson's practice has strong capabilities in real estate litigation and, on the non-contentious side, it assists clients with negotiating sale and purchase agreements and construction contracts. Territorial planning work is another driver of activity. Team head Dalia Stakvilevičiūtė is knowledgeable about regional development, planning and construction matters. Marius Endzinas has specialist expertise in the public procurement aspects of construction projects and litigation.
‘Magnusson’s team in Lithuania is like the staff in our company. They know us and we know them.’
‘Marius Endzinasa is a good specialist in his field.’
- Acting for construction company Plungės lagūna UAB in a FIDIC Yellow Book (Plant and Design-Build) dispute over the reconstruction of a rainwater treatment plant in Vilnius.
- Advising Žaibas UAB on the redevelopment of of an old industrial building into a new mixed-use office and residential space.
- Advised Cetarium UAB on a long-term lease agreement with Festo UAB in relation to office premises.