Employment in Kenya
Bowmans has an outstanding record in employment disputes, employee transfers in M&A transactions and employee incentive plans and employee stock ownership plans. Rainbow Field has particular expertise handling redundancies, employee transfers and employee incentive plans. Sean Omondi is prominent in employee disputes and union matters.
Rainbow Field; Sean Omondi
‘They have a very strong and broad team of professionals who can guide me on a very wide range of legal and investment laws as well as the various opportunities in Kenya.‘
‘The team has been exceptional in handling our complicated employment issues. The team takes time to handle your issues individually and gives attention to your matters like you are the only client that they have in their portfolio.‘
‘Rainbow Field has been very supportive to help me on any issues or challenges.‘
East Africa Breweries
Commercial Bank of Africa
Car & General
- Acted for Commercial Bank of Africa on the transfer of employees following its proposed merger with the NIC Group.
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews is outstanding in employment disputes and also has a strong track record handling non-contentious matters. Its recent workload includes advising on disciplinary processes, performance improvement plans, employment termination processes, redundancy processes, and the drafting and review of employment contracts. Michi Kirimi is highly rated, while Lorna Mainnah and senior disputes specialist Kenneth Fraser are other key names. Ezra Makori is the name to note at senior associate level.
Kenneth Fraser; Richard Omwela
‘Dentons is very good at keeping records up to date, pre-emptively chasing and preparing the client for court appearances and generally being very helpful.‘
‘The individuals we have interacted with value time, are concise in their thinking, penetrative in their solutions and show agility in dealing with individuals who are problematic.‘
‘Outstanding knowledge and deep expertise on industrial relations and industrial relations-related litigation. Extremely responsive and front-footed.’
‘Michi Kirmi and Ezra Makori have delivered outstanding services. They are willing to assist at the drop of a hat and are thorough with a high attention to detail. Michi Kirmi is very prompt and one of the most pleasant counsels that I have worked with thus far. My experience is that these two individuals go the extra mile which is invaluable.‘
‘Ezra Makori is extremely responsive, proactive, and strategic, instilling confidence in his clients that matters are being well handled, even in an unpredictable legal system, and on emotive issues, such as industrial relations.‘
Deutsche Gesellschaft Fur Technishe Zusammenarbeit
Research International East Africa
Rural Electrification Authority
GEMS Cambridge International School
- Advised an acquaculture business on a restructuring process, which required redundancies and acted in a subsequent case brought by one of the employees seeking damages and reinstatement.
- Defended a multinational security services provider in a claim brought by a trade union representing 358 former employees seeking reinstatement and damages.
- Defended a development institution against a claim for overtime, hardship and remote area allowance.
Kaplan & Stratton Advocates has considerable experience in the employment sphere, notably in the fields of forensic and fraud-related matters. Disciplinary processes and unionised claims are other areas of strength. Cosima Wetende is an outstanding litigator and Sam Wainaina is a recognised leader for pensions and employee incentives work. Esther Kinyenje is rated for trade union-related work and industrial relations disputes.
‘The firm is very professional and a cut above its peers.‘
‘Sam Wainaina is the only one in the market doing pensions work and is the go-to lawyer in that area.‘
‘Cosima Wetende is reliable and offers clear and practical advice in employment matters.‘
‘Cosima Wetende gives frequent updates to her clients and she is pleasant to work with.‘
‘Esther Kinyenje is very knowledgeable and experienced in employment and labour relations matters and in litigation.‘
Coca-Cola Central, East and West Africa
Prudential Life Assurance Kenya
Kenya Tea Growers Association
AMREF Health Africa
British American Tobacco
- Acted for the Anglican Church of Kenya on a constitutional issue regarding the employment status of priests.
- Represented Unilever Tea Kenya in a dispute over the implementation of a voluntary early retirement exercise.
- Advised Unilever Kenya on a petition by a union seeking to restrain the company from carrying out redundancies.
Oraro & Company Advocates is a leader in dispute resolution, though also has genuine strength in non-contentious employment matters. It has considerable experience handling redundancies, retrenchments, employee benefits and collective bargaining arrangements. Georgina Ogalo-Omondi is a recognised employment specialist and Chacha Odera is a leader in employment litigation, along with Walter Amoko.
Chacha Odera; Georgina Ogalo-Omondi
National Bank of Kenya
TelPosta Pension Scheme
Aga Khan University Hospital – Nairobi
Central Bank of Kenya
Kenya National Union of Teachers
- Defended TelPosta Pension Scheme against a judgment by the Retirement Benefits Tribunal for unpaid retirement dues.
- Represented National Bank of Kenya against three class action claims in the Employment and Labour Relations Court.
- Acted for Kenya Railways in a claim by its former employees to enforce an award.
Anjarwalla & Khanna covers a range of transactional work, restructuring and redundancies, and union and pensions work. Rosa Nduati-Mutero and Sonal Sejpal jointly head the practice, which also includes senior litigator Aisha Abdallah.
Rosa Nduati-Mutero; Sonal Sejpal
Sanlam Kenya Plc 2 years Yes
Aga Khan Heath Care Services
Barclays Bank of Kenya
British American Tobacco Kenya
International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF)
- Acted for Sanlam Kenya in connection with a complaint against the CEO; this included advice on the disciplinary processes and termination of employment under Kenyan laws.
- Advised Aga Khan Health Service and the Aga Khan University on a review and amendment of the trust deeds and rules of the Aga Khan Health Service, Staff Pension and Life Assurance Scheme and the Aga Khan University Staff Provident Fund.
- Acted as auditors for British American Tobacco Kenya in connection with its mandatory legal and compliance audit.
CMS Daly Inamdar Advocates is best known for employee stock ownership plans and transaction-related employment matters. With its connection to CMS, it now has greater cross-border capabilities. Shitul Shah is the key partner.
Zamara Actuaries Administrators & Consultants
Department for International Development Kenya And Somalia Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme
- Advised Zamara Actuaries Administrators & Consultants and International Center for Tropical Agriculture on the trust deed and rules of the Ciat Africa Investment Trust Fund.
- Assisted Zamara Actuaries Administrators & Consultants and Ecobank Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme with preparation and full review of the existing trust deed and rules.
- Advised Global Innovation Fund on assessing the immigration and employment law requirements for employment of expatriates in Kenya.
Munyao Muthama & Kashindi
Munyao Muthama & Kashindi has made a fine impression on the employment market in Kenya, thanks largely to the presence of Irene Kashindi, a former partner at Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews. She and the team have attracted a range of top-name clients, which now routinely engage the firm on employment disputes, employee separation processes, and advisory and consulting matters.
‘They have a diverse team, are very knowledgeable, give well researched and reasoned opinions, and give prompt updates on case proceedings.’
‘Young, dynamic, professional and highly qualified team.’
‘Irene Kashindi is a seasoned advocate. She engages well with clients and is very knowledgeable in all matters relating to dispute resolution.’
‘Irene Kashindi has good knowledge of the labour laws and other related laws/rights. She also gives very comprehensive responses to legal queries and always bases her response on fact/previous rulings. She offers a balanced view on matters at hand as well as precise proposals on how to deal with issues that face our company.’
Non- Governmental Organisation Coordination Board
Kenya Civil Aviation Authority
New Kenya Cooperative Creameries
National Hospital Insurance Fund
Green Belt Movement
Crowe Erastus & Company
Certifed Public Acccountants
Kenya Trade Network Agency
- Acted for Spire Properties in a dispute concerning claims made by over 70 former employees of a company from which the client acquired a hotel.
- Represented National Government Constituency Development Fund in two suits instituted by its former managers.
- Acted for KCA University in a claim by a former senior staff member.
TripleOKlaw Advocates has a strong track record in the employment space. Immigration is a particular forte for the team with Jinaro Kibet noted for his experience in this area. John Ohaga is rated for disputes matters and Marysheila Onyango-Oduor handles a broad spread of employment work.
‘A fluid, versatile and dynamic team.‘
‘Fast and responsive approach to the matter at hand.‘
Africa 6 No
Services Limited 7 No
Consulting 1 Yes
Italian Trade Agency 1 Yes
BDP International 1 Yes
Qatar Airways 4 No
Safaricom PLC 8 No
- Advised Trademark East Africa on employment and regulatory issues for its expatriate staff in Kenya and the wider region.
- Acted for Acorn Management Services on employment and immigration matters.
- Advised Hunter White Consulting on immigration law requirements.