Anjarwalla & Khanna has one of the leading employment teams in Kenya, which acts on advisory and transactional matters, as well as disputes. The firm regularly advises on data protection and drafts employment policies such as disciplinary and grievance procedures, handbooks and consultancy agreements. The team is also proficient in advising on employment issues arising from corporate transactions and reorganisations. Sonal Sejpal co-heads the employment department with Rosa Nduati-Mutero . Aisha Abdallah takes the lead on disputes, while Faith Macharia has an impressive record in corporate fraud and insolvency matters.
Employment in Kenya
Sonal Sejpal; Rosa Nduati-Mutero
Other key lawyers:
Aisha Abdallah; Faith Macharia
‘A&K has expansive knowledge and experience in employment law which is the area l seek legal advice. A&K has a dedicated team handling our company.’
‘They have well trained staff who are able to handle different aspects of the business.’
‘They have staff who are diverse and efficient. They have ensured we have a continuous collaboration. They handle different aspect of legal so they are a one stop shop for the client.’
Lufthansa Cargo AG
Schneider Electric (Kenya)
Ola Energy Kenya
- Acting for Lufthansa Cargo, a worldwide airfreight and logistics company, in connection with a suit before the Employment & Labour Relations Court where employees of an independent contractor have filed a Petition seeking among other Orders for a declaration that they remain and continue to serve their alleged employment at Lufthansa Cargo.
- Acting for OLA Energy, an affiliate owned by Libya Oil Holdings, a Libyan state-owned company with over 3000 branches in 21 countries across Africa.
- Acting for Schneider Electric in connection with a claim wrongfully filed at the Chief Magistrates Court for unfair termination of employment filed by one of its former employees.
Bowmans is one of the leading firms in East Africa for employment matters, as is reflected by the fact that it advises several multinational clients. It handles M&A-related employment issues, disputes, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPS) and employee incentive plans. The department is also proficient in workplace policies and compliance, recently developing “The Bowmans’ Return to Work Pack (RTWP)” in the wake of the covid-19 pandemic. Rainbow Field leads the team, with experience in insolvencies and restructurings. Terry Mwango has expertise in disputes.
Rainbow Field; Terry Mwango
Other key lawyers:
Sanlam General Life Insurance Limited
Sanlam Kenya Plc
KCSSA East Africa Limited
Tatu City Limited
Actis Kenya Limited
- Acted for Sanlam Kenya Plc and Sanlam General Life Insurance Limited in a matter filed in the employment and labour relations court by a former employee claiming, among other reliefs, damages for unfair termination.
- Advised Superfoam Limited on negotiations of a collective bargaining agreement with the union representing the employees of the company during the COVID-19 pandemic period.
- Advised Actis Kenya Limited and responded to a claim filed by a former employee for constructive dismissal.
Dentons Hamilton Harrison & Mathews is highly reputed for employment advice, with it generating mandates from clients across a broad cross-section of sectors. TIts team advises clients on disciplinary processes, performance improvement plans, termination processes, redundancy processes and drafting employment contracts. It is also knowledgeable about M&A-related employment issues. Michi Kirimi is a senior practitioner with extensive experience of disputes, while Lorna Mainnah has expertise in employment and immigration engagements. Ezra Makori has experience of employment litigation. Richard Omwela is the practice head.
Other key lawyers:
Michi Kirimi; Lorna Mainnah; Ezra Makori
‘Credible advice and professional conduct demonstrated by the whole staff.’
‘Every interaction is accurate and professionally handled. Timely updates and a well connected team with multiple expertise.’
‘Approachable and accurate.’
‘Excellent knowledge about laws and regulations and practical strategies to apply them to businesses.’
Elgon Development Limited
Immo80 Kenya Limited
Redbury Nine Limited
Khawaja Sohail Deen & Dr Lubna Khawaja
British High Commission
- Acted for Immo 80 Kenya Limited on behalf of Overseas Administration Management and advised it on the acquisition of four warehouses in Nairobi’s busy Industrial Area, just off Mombasa Road.
Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates has a large employment team, which is active in transactions and contentious matters, and attracts work from domestic and international clients. The team advises on novel areas of the law, such as Covid-19-related workplace regulatory guidance and the effects of changes in shareholding on employees’ obligations. The firm is also highly skilled in M&A-related matters, backed by the resources it has obtained due to being part of the DLA Piper Africa Network. William Maema is a key partner with experience in advisory matters. Martin Munyu is well-versed in employment and labour relations disputes. Karori Kamau and Christine Njau are significant figures in the team.
William Maema; Kamau Karori
Other key lawyers:
Martin Munyu; Christine Njau
‘IKM is a diverse firm with excellent services. The billing conforms with the Advocate Remuneration Order 2014. It has very good staff who are always at hand to go the extra mile to assist. In terms of technology, the firm is quite ahead of its peers.’
‘The individuals I work with have always maintained a one-on-one relationship. They ensure any matter is handled diligently from inception to conclusion with updates from time to time.’
‘Whenever I engage IKM Advocates I am certain that, like before, my needs will be met and on time. I never have to worry about the quality of work as I am served with unparalleled standards of professionalism. IKM provides clarity on work deliverables as well as billing.’
‘I have worked directly with William and I can attest to his responsiveness. His attention to detail is unmatched. He has got in-depth legal experience and therefore understanding. He is honest and respectfully direct even when one tends to differ in opinion.’
‘DLA Piper (IKM) advocates are professional, extremely warm and supportive to me and my team. I have in previous engagements worked with other law firms but the unique thing about them is the depth of their research, understanding of their clients and how balanced their turnaround time is.’
‘Very mature in their engagement through analysis and are honest in there undertakings. I look forward to working with them even more.’
‘IKM has been very informative in all our labour concerns. The team is reachable on a need be basis regardless of hours. In case of no response on call, they always call back and whatever time but first they check whether we are ok to talk after working hours. In terms of collaborations, IKM has linked us to various legal firms within the region, in particular in Uganda and South Sudan as they are well linked to great minds.’
‘At times, the law can be very complex. Our key contact person always tries to look at all the risk involved in the matter, provide verbal opinion either oral or written. We explore risk to business and best approach on the matter.’
BOC Kenya PLC
Church World Service
Dummen Orange/ Fides Kenya Limited
L.A.B. International Kenya Limited
UAP Old Mutual Plc
Britam Holdings Plc
Center for International Health, Education and Biosecurity
Spotlight East Africa Ltd
- Advising Flamingo Group International Limited (“FGIL”) and Flamingo Horticulture Kenya Limited (“FHKL”) on the employment issues arising from FHKL’s hive-off of its integrated pest management business and FGIL in connection with the sale of the integrated pest management business.
- Advised Britam Holdings Limited on its high-profile restructuring process.
- Representing Britam in defending an employment claim filed by one of its senior managers.
Kaplan & Stratton Advocates mainly acts for employers, including public companies, SMEs and not-for-profit entities. The team advises regularly on terminations, work permits, pension disputes, ESOPs and incentives. Sam Wainaina heads the practice with vast experience advising on employment and labour issues. Esther Kinyenje has expertise in industrial relations disputes, while Cosima Wetende is a leading employment litigator.
Other key lawyers:
Esther Kinyenje; Cosima Wetende
‘I work a lot with Esther Kinyenje and Cosima Wetende and they have done a stellar job of advising on and mitigating risks arising from employment disputes.’
Coca-Cola Central East and West Africa Ltd
Prudential Life Assurance Kenya Ltd
Kenya Tea Growers Association
Unilever Kenya Ltd
Unilever Tea Ltd
AMREF Health Africa
Samsung Kenya Limited
British American Tobacco (BAT) Limited
Tata Chemicals Magadi Ltd
Orpower 4 Inc.
- Advised and represented British American Tobacco Kenya Plc in claims instituted by two former employees for wrongful dismissal.
- Advised Eastern Produce Kenya Limited following a series of wild cat strikes. The client took collective disciplinary action against its employees for engaging in an unlawful, unprotected strike.
- Advised British American Tobacco in respect of the obligations of an employer for covid-19 testing, isolation and safety protocols under the Employment Act, Ministry of Labour Covid 19 guidelines and The Occupational, Health and Safety Act.
MMAN Advocates has an excellent reputation handling pensions issues for clients and it also specialises in the employment aspects of both share and asset acquisitions; Carole Ayugi is experienced in employment issues relating to corporate and commercial transactions. The firm is also a member of the Eversheds Sutherland Africa Alliance.
Massmart Holdings Limited
Auto Springs East Africa Plc
Eaton Corporation Inc.
Capital Markets Authority Retirement Benefits Scheme
Zamara Actuaries, Administrators & Consultants Limited
Croda International Plc
- Advised PPD Inc on the matters to be considered when setting up a cross border ESOP including several branches of the law not limited to employment, tax, stamp duty, banking, foreign exchange and trusts.
- Advised EATON CORPORATION INC on employment-related aspects of the multinational hydraulics business purchase transaction.
Munyao Muthama & Kashindi
Munyao Muthama & Kashindi generates work from clients in a wide range of industries, with particular experience of acting for those in the education, manufacturing and charities sectors. It also acts for government institutions. On the contentious side, the firm represents clients in matters before the employment and labour relations court, as well as the appellate courts. Elsewhere, it advises on compliance and employee separation processes, including summary dismissals and redundancies. Irene Kashindi, who heads up the employment department, handles both contentious and non-contentious matters. George Kashindi and Paul Munyao provide additional expertise.
Other key lawyers:
George Kashindi; Paul Munyao; Margaret Miringu
‘The quality of having a competent staff available to stand in for the Managing Partner when our case came up while the Managing Partner was still on the road with poor network connectivity. It was wonderful and very refreshing.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable on labour law-related matters and this is evident in the solutions they provide as well as the training and legal updates.’
‘Irene Kashindi has a wealth of knowledge in employment law and has been able to develop solutions that safeguard clients’ interests. From the cases she litigates, she has added a lot of value in the development of jurisprudence in the employment field.’
‘I like that a lady leads the labour relations area (Irene). Thorough and quality work.’
Unilever Kenya Limited
National Bank of Kenya
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission
Johnson Diversey East and Central Limited
Spire Properties Limited
Bank of Africa
Youth Enterprise Development Fund Board
Institute of Certified Public Accountants
National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF)
Kenya Ports Authority
Kenya Civil Aviation Authority
Crowe Erastus & Company
Green Belt Movement
- Advised Safaricom on a range of employment and labour related matters.
Oraro & Company Advocates has an excellent employment and labour relations team, which acts for large local, regional and international organisations. The department advises on employment contracts, redundancies, employee benefits, collective bargaining agreements and reviews HR policies and procedures. The firm has acted against two of the largest trade unions in Kenya, including the Kenya National Union of Teachers (KNUT), in disputes against the employer. Chacha Odera is the most senior partner in the team and has represented a variety of different clients. Georgina Ogalo-Omondi has advised on intricate labour disputes in relation to terminations, redundancies and collective bargaining.
Other key lawyers:
Georgina Ogalo-Omondi; John Mbaluto
‘They give efficient legal services. I like the way they handle all legal matters assigned to them with a lot of passion, due diligence and high standard services. They are exceptional in terms of hiring very competent personnel who ensure all legal matters are handled very well.’
TelPosta Pension Scheme
National Bank of Kenya
Kenya Railways Corporation
The Honourable Attorney General of the Republic of Kenya
Tumaini Self Service Limited
Art Caffe Coffee & Bakery Limited
Standard Chartered Bank Kenya Limited
Diamond Trust Bank Limited
- Defended a judgement by the retirement benefits tribunal for unpaid retirement dues.
- Acted in various claims for The Honourable Attorney General – Kenya challenging section 85 of the Finance Act 2018.
- Acted for Kenya National Union of Teachers in a trade dispute amounting to $540m against the teachers’ employer.
Kieti Law LLP
Kieti Law LLP has joined forces with South Africa-based firm Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr to expand its service offerings in the region. It advises on a wide range of non-contentious employment matters, which range from corporate immigration to employee benefits issues. The team recently advised PayGo Energy on the termination of a senior employee. Department head Njeri Wagacha has extensive experience of pension schemes, disciplinary proceedings and collective bargaining agreements.
RONN Law Advocates LLP
RONN Law Advocates LLP is a new full-service firm, which was set up in 2021. Sean Omondi heads up the employment team, which has expertise in employment disputes, the implementation of redundancy programmes, union disputes and advises on employment policies, among other matters.
AAR Hospital Limited
Acumen EA Advisory Services Limited
Andela Kenya Limited
De La Rue EPZ Limited
Global Alliance for Livestock Veterinary Medicines
GoTV Kenya Limited
Habitat for Humanity International
IBM East Africa Limited
ISS Global Forwarding (Kenya) Limited
Java House Africa
Promasidor (Kenya) Limited
S.C. Johnson & Son Kenya Limited
- Advised and acted for IBM EAST Africa Limited in a constructive dismissal claim filed by a former employee.
- Advising and acting for Paul Odera (Head Coach of the Kenya Men’s National 15s Team) in an injunction/ interdict claim to restrain the Kenya Rugby Union from terminating his employment.
- Advised ISS Global Forwarding (Kenya) Limited in relation to company-wide redundancies caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.