Administrative and public law in Italy
Police & Partners
BonelliErede excels in the public law market thanks to its team of multi-skilled professionals, who have insights into many practice areas. Practice head Luca Perfetti, who also leads the environmental focus team, is a key member of the energy, infrastructure and digital innovation teams, while also specialising in regulations, privatisations, public finance work and public procurements. He and his team advise a number of top Italian corporates and international clients from a wide range of sectors, including media and publishing businesses, railway clients, telecoms companies and financial services bodies. Senior counsel Alessandro Rosi has a successful track record in advising Italian public contractors.
Other key lawyers:
Luigi Pontrelli; Alessandro Rosi; Raffaele Cassano
‘Raffaele Cassano is a lawyer with incredible technical skills as well as being a person of great heart and immense synthesis skills.’
‘Luca Perfetti stands out for his knowledge of administrative law in the delicate sector of contracts.’
‘Luca Perfetti is quickly able to create an excellent atmosphere of collaboration with the client.’
Autostrade per l’Italia
Cairo Network – La 7
Rete Ferroviaria Italia – RFI
SACBO Aeroporto di Bergamo
Salini Impregilo (now Webuild)
- Acting for Salini Impregilo in a dispute before the Administrative Court of first and second instance (Council of State) relating to the tender procedure to assign the refurbishment of Venice Airport.
- Advising CAL on a tender procedure and concession agreement concerning a new highway in Lombardy (Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda – APL).
- Representing ILVA in a claim before the Administrative Court of Puglia against the Taranto Municipality decision ordering the shutdown of the local steel plant.
Chiomenti's cross-practice approach ensures notable expertise in international projects where it acts for a range of domestic and global clients spanning the healthcare, real estate, energy, logistics and telecoms sectors. Practice head Filippo Brunetti is active in extrajudicial and judicial proceedings in the highest administrative courts, while Giulio Napolitano, who was promoted to partner in early 2020, has a wealth of expertise in regulatory work, energy law, corporate governance issues, public mandates and sports law. Counsel Alfredo Vitale regularly assists companies, public bodies and institutions with public contracts, urban planning matters and environmental and renewable energy issues.
Other key lawyers:
Giulio Napolitano; Alfredo Vitale; Francesco Scanzano; Loredana Giani Maguire; Elio Leonetti
‘The firm offers assistance in all sectors through resources dedicated to each subject.’
‘Very prepared and available professionals; Elio Leonetti is an exceptional lawyer in terms of skills, friendliness and helpfulness, even in the most delicate work phases.’
‘Filippo Brunetti stands out for the unrivalled level of attention, competence and professionalism with which he addresses every single issue that is submitted to him.’
‘Loredana Giani and Filippo Brunetti understand the various implications of a specific matter and can translate them into simple language for the client.’
‘Chiomenti is synonymous with high quality and precise work, based on recognised transversal skills.’
‘The professionals at Chiomenti are distinguished not only by the deep knowledge and professional experience but also for the reactivity to the clients’ requests as well as their care and attention to the set objectives.’
‘Filippo Brunetti is a highly experienced lawyer with solid expertise in Italian administrative and civil law, who can expose his arguments and legal analyses with clarity.’
‘Specific expertise in the world of public tenders, professionalism and speed of responses.’
CONI Comitato Olimpico Nazionale
Investire Immobiliare SGR S.p.A.
GSE Gestore Servizi Energetici S.p.A.
- Advising Expedia Group on the national and regional legislations concerning the lease for extra hotel business and the procedure for the issuance of the relevant administrative authorisations.
- Advising Flixbus Italia on the impact on the provided bus transportation service of (i) the provisions regulating buses advertising and (ii) the legislation on public local transport.
- Advising the Italian Olympic Committee on drafting regulations addressed to sport federations, associations, corporations, athletes, and other operators in the sector, and assisting with challenges to the regulations before the administrative courts of first and second instance.
Gianni & Origoni's administrative law team distinguishes itself through its high-profile work on cases of national importance; it recently assisted ArcelorMittal with complex negotiations concerning the high-profile acquisition of the Ilva steel plants in Taranto. The environmental team is led by Antonella Capria and includes specialist Elisabetta Gardini . Stefano Cunico is also a key name to note and handles authorisations and energy-related petitions before the Regional Administrative Court of Lazio. Antonio Lirosi and Maria Grazia Lanero are the key names in the Rome and Milan offices respectively; while Lirosi handles both judicial and extrajudicial cases in connection to public tenders, trade issues, consumer protection work and transportation matters, Lanero specialises in administrative law and real estate mandates. Giuseppe Velluto has expertise in infrastructure, utilities and project financing highlights.
Antonella Capria; Antonio Lirosi
Other key lawyers:
Maria Grazia Lanero; Giuseppe Velluto; Stefano Cunico; Caterina Testa; Elisabetta Gardini
‘The firm conveys a sense of reliability that is difficult to find elsewhere.’
‘Stefano Cunico and Caterina Testa impress with their broad knowledge of the subject, but also for their humbleness. Available 24 hours a day and the promptness of responses in delicate phases makes the difference when compared to other firms.’
‘Great competence for all issues related to energy; in particular, the firm provides specialist advice in the methane gas distribution sector.’
‘Expertise, precision and support on all legal issues.’
‘Excellent preparation and competence, utmost kindness and courtesy and helpfulness on a personal level.’
‘Stefano Cunico and Giuseppe Velluto always know the most appropriate way to assess, balance and manage risks.’
AIEL – Associazione Italiana Energie Agroforestali
AIM Vicenza S.p.a.
Associazione Energie da biomasse solide
Associazione Nazionale delle Imprese di Pulizia
ASSOGAS – Associazione Italiana Industriali del Gas
Enerqos Energy Solution
Esso Italiana S.r.l.
Ferrovie dello Stato S.p.A.
Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia
General Logistics Systems Italy S.p.A.
Hitachi Rail Italy Investments S.r.l. and Hitachi Rail Italy S.p.A.
Italgas Storage S.p.A.
Metropolitan Area of Venice (Città Metropolitana di Venezia)
Rina Consulting S.p.A.
Società Cattolica di Assicurazione
Total E&P Italia S.p.A.
University of Milan
Westfield Milan S.p.A.
- Assisting Total E&P Italia S.p.A. with lodging an extraordinary appeal to the President of the Italian Republic – followed by a second extraordinary appeal on additional grounds – against the Basilicata Region for the annulment of its notification to Total not to perform operating tests necessary to bring Total’s concession to the production phase and of the subsequent notification by which the Region, adding new reasons, re-affirmed its previous decision despite the foundations of the original notification having fallen.
- Assisting Ital Gas Storage S.p.A., controlled by Morgan Stanley Infrastructure and Whysol Investments, with the project financing for the development, commissioning and operation of a gas storage facility to be built in a depleted gas reservoir located in Cornegliano Laudense.
- Acting for Tim S.p.A. in an appeal before TAR Lombardia – Milano against the award of the public tender concerning the contract for the management of workstations, consisting of the purchase and maintenance of informatics devices.
Legance - Avvocati Associati's administrative practice continued its expansion in 2020, with Maria Cristina Breida joining from R&P Legal to lead the environmental department. The wider administrative law team is comprised of several sub-groups. The real estate team is headed up by Giuseppe Abbruzzese, who also coordinates the town planning practice; and Cristina Martorana is the key name for the energy sector group. Alessandro Botto and Filippo Pacciani also lead the administrative law practice and have extensive knowledge of contracts, public utilities and tender procedures, both in and out of court. Food law is another area of expertise for the group, led by senior counsel Alessandra Palatini.
Giuseppe Abbruzzese; Alessandro Botto; Filippo Pacciani; Cristina Martorana; Maria Cristina Breida
Other key lawyers:
Elena Generini; Ivano Saltarelli; Alessandra Palatini
‘In addition to the undisputed high-level technical skills, the team stands out for its empathy and helpfulness.’
‘Giuseppe Abbruzzese and the team stand out for their ability to combine a high-level service with a humble and interpersonal approach.’
‘Cristina Martorana is a point of reference. She’s always available and proactive in finding solutions.’
‘Filippo Pacciani is a reassuring presence for his competence and the great clarity of presentation on specialised issues.’
‘Strong administrative expertise. In particular through the lawyer Alessandro Botto.’
‘Alessandro Botto shows competence, experience and strong customer focus.’
‘Availability and constant assistance at every stage of the operation. Noteworthy are Giuseppe Abbruzzese and Elena Generini.’
‘Maria Cristina Breida: extremely punctual, always present for every need and clarification, high ability to identify intervention strategies and develop documents that are concise and effective.’
Aeroporti di Roma
Aeroporti di Puglia
Lotterie Nazionali – Lottomatica
Gruppo San Donato
Istituto per il Credito Sportivo
Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato
Hitachi Rail STS
BNP Paribas REIM SGR
Fabrica Immobiliare SGR
Invesco Real Estate
Vestas Asset Management
Cubico Sustainable Investments
- Acting for Pernigotti in the successful judicial proceeding before the Piedmont Regional Administrative Court.
- Acting for Italgas Reti before the Administrative Court of Milan for the annulment of the resolution adopted by the Authority for Energy Networks and the Environment and the ministerial decree adopted jointly by the Ministry for Economic Development and the Ministry for the Environment of Land and Sea relating to a remuneration cap to be paid in favour of gas distributors for the purchase of white certificates.
- Assisting Kering with the development of a luxury shopping centre in Sanremo.
Boutique firm Studio Legale Villata, Degli Esposti e Associati has a focus on the corporate sector and is particularly renowned for assisting with a vast number of public projects based in Lombardy. The team, which is led by Riccardo Villata and Andreina Degli Esposti, assists clients with administrative and public law issues arising from corporate operations. The group is also strong in public tenders, utilities issues, environmental work, energy and infrastructure mandates, and the life sciences, healthcare and sports sectors. The firm has expanded its office in Bologna and also opened a base in Padua in 2020, allowing operations to extend into the Veneto region.
Riccardo Villata; Andreina Degli Esposti
‘Without any doubt, the value and competence of the lawyers, especially Andreina Degli Esposti and Riccardo Villata, are distinguishing factors. High reputation in the legal environment, as their opinion is not only listened to, but also often sought out.’
‘Excellent ability to use new technologies, in particular those for remote connection. Furthermore, it seems that they have implemented a new integrated management system, which makes the reading of their invoices and the activities carried out even more transparent.’
‘Andreina Degli Esposti and Riccardo Villata are to be praised for their superb command of the legislation and an uncommon knowledge of their clients’ internal systems.’
‘Exceptional expertise in administrative law in the health sector. The team, in addition to its skills, is also characterised by its timeliness and punctuality in its work.’
‘Andreina Degli Esposti distinguishes herself for professionalism, competence, promptness and extraordinary communication skills.’
‘A specialised boutique that combines innovation in the legal approach to knowledge consolidated over the years. Professionals are protagonists of administrative law, forerunners of guidelines and great interpreters of law.’
Suez wts italy srl
Amtrust assicurazioni spa
Supernap italia srl
Coop barcaioli porto venere
Biomed (althea italia spa)
Fondazione terre des hommes italia
Fondazione gioventu’ musicale
Sincronis medical srl
Tamoil italia spa
Lloyd’s insurance company s.a.
Banor capital ltd
Servizi logistici srl
Efs spa (formerly zephyro spa)
Compass group italia spa
Capgemini italia spa
Banca farmafactoring spa
Ciclat trasporti ambiente soc. Coop.
Kos group srl
Open fiber spa
Randstad group italia spa
Italian underwriting srl
Universita’ commerciale luigi bocconi
Tcvvv spa (teleriscaldamento coogenerazione valtellina valchiavenna valcamonica)
Mundipharma pharmaceutical srl
Carlo gavazzi automation spa
Biomed consulting srl
Orano cycle (areva nc sa)
Roma metropolitane srl
Fari immobiliare srl
Csg palladio srl
Life analytics srl
Municipality of san giuliano terme
Pesenti serafino srl
Immobiliare sigma spa – real estate
Green farm srl
- Acting for AmTrust Italia Assicurazioni Spa in a judgment before Lazio TAR regarding an open electronic procedure for the procurement of the insurance coverage service for “ASL ROMA 5” workers.
- Representing Edison before civil, criminal and administrative courts in claims relating to industrial sites affected by environmental issues of national importance.
- Representing Tamoil SpA in administrative procedures before public bodies and authorities, as well as in litigation before Civil and Administrative courts concerning regulatory environmental and public tender issues.
DLA Piper handles the full spectrum of matters in the administrative and public law space, with a focus on litigation and regulation mandates as well as real estate work. Town planning and environmental matters are the main focus of the practice group, which is headed up by litigators Germana Cassar and Giorgia Romitelli; Cassar is known for her knowledge of the energy sector, while Romitelli assists clients in the life sciences sector. Legal director Alessia Marconi is regularly involved in complex transactions and issues in the infrastructure, pharmaceuticals and energy sectors; she counts Pfizer among her main clients.
Germana Cassar; Giorgia Romitelli
Other key lawyers:
Carmen Chierchia; Alessia Marconi
‘Professionalism, competence, precision, availability, efficiency and punctuality.’
‘Giorgia Romitelli is an excellent professional from all points of view.’
‘The team is extremely specialised, pragmatic and very responsive with a deep knowledge of a complex regulatory frame.’
‘Giorgia Romitelli has deep knowledge and wide experience in the administrative and public law practice, great professionalism and high communication skills. Strongly supportive, she always offers clear opinions.’
‘Good collaboration between the firm’s departments, which is certainly useful (if not essential) in the context of large operations.’
‘Alessia Marconi, in addition to preparation and professionalism, showed a willingness and a spirit of collaboration that is rarely found.’
‘DLA Piper represents excellence and is an undisputed reference point in energy. The extreme qualification of the team members, the presence and availability to the customer and the integrated approach allows for a surprising ability to respond to business needs.’
‘DLA professionals stand out in the market for their ability to read and analyse the regulation and market contexts. Vision, creativity, tenacity, and attention to the customer are the undisputed strengths of the team. Alessia Marconi represents an excellence in the sector and in addition to quality and legal preparation brings a high level of business knowledge to the table.’
‘Giorgia Romitelli: professionalism at the top of the category, high knowledge, specialisation and experience in administrative law and on all advertising issues in the fields of public procurement, PPP and project finance.’
‘Extreme professionalism and in-depth knowledge of the sector legislation and of the relevant jurisprudence. As per the clientele, DLA boasts well-known multinationals in its portfolio with which it has been collaborating for several years. All the lawyers of the firm are known and appreciated for their preparation, professionalism and defence skills.’
ANB COOP Coperativa Agricola S.p.A.
Alerion Clean Power S.p.A.
Saxa Gres S.p.A
Bain Capital Credit, LP
Abbott Medical Italia
Webuild (già Salini Impregilo)
BRS S.p.A. in liquidazione
- Assisting two clients, active in the production of sugar, with the development and implementation of the public interest projects regarding the conversion of the big industrial site in Ostellato for the production of sugar into four different plants for the production of electricity from biomass deriving from the cultivation of beet.
- Acting for Saxa Gres in litigation concerning the lawfulness and the annulment of the determination of the Lazio Region Environmental Policies and Waste Cycle Directorate concerning the Environmental Impact Assessment of a project for a plant for the production of ceramics with waste recovery from waste-to-energy from the existing plant located in Selcianella Anagni.
- Assisting a group of lenders with the refinancing of 73 photovoltaic plants.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's Italian public law team benefits from the firm's global regulatory practice and also works alongside the M&A, commercial, energy, real estate and project finance departments in Rome. Practice head Francesca Angeloni is highly regarded for her regulatory advice relating to permitting, compliance work and contracts with public authorities as well as her contribution to M&A deals and litigation. Angeloni and Emanuela Cocco form an 'impressive' team, and have additional expertise in environmental regulations. Public procurements, zoning work and trade licences issues are also part of the group's experience.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ability to respond in an extremely competent manner even when solving urgent issues.’
‘Kindness, preparation, punctuality.’
‘Ability to summarise complex issues in a user-friendly manner.’
‘Availability, quick answers and clarity during consultations.’
‘Reliability and professionalism, transparency and quality of service in the contents and in the communication methods.’
‘Exceptional level of attention towards the customer, peculiarities and needs.’
‘Francesca Angeloni and Emanuela Cocco form an impressive tag team in guiding their clients through the bumps of environmental regulation. Impressive quality and response times and an ability to provide pragmatic and commercially focussed advice.’
Satta Romano & Associati
At Satta Romano & Associati, Filippo Satta and Anna Romano are lauded for their 'excellent and exceptional capabilities' in administrative and public law, especially relating to public investments, concessions and energy law. The team's work often also involves aspects of European law and competition issues, regularly related to international contentious matters and arbitration proceedings. Associate Mario Natale specialises in public contracts, EU state aid regulations, urban planning issues and telecoms mandates.
Filippo Satta; Anna Romano
Other key lawyers:
‘Direct, constant, personal and always careful participation in the clients’ matters.’
‘Anna Romano is very attentive to every peculiarity of the cases she deals with. Attention to the interdisciplinary aspects that allow the lawyers of the firm to always integrate their specialised skills in administrative law with the problems, including technical ones, that may be at the basis of the problem being dealt with. In the field of administrative law, antitrust and communications law, the capabilities of the Satta-Romano firm are undoubtedly between excellent and exceptional.’
‘Competence, professionalism, and customer care skills of the highest standing.’
Autostrade del Lazio S.p.A.
Be Smart S.r.l.
ANCE – Associazione Nazionale Costruttori Edili
Acquedotto Pugliese S.p.A.
Ericsson Telecomunicazioni S.p.A.
Gestore Servizi Energetici S.p.A.
Università Campus Biomedico di Roma
Italian Ministry of Economic Development and Ministry of Environment, Land and the Sea
- Acting for Lottoitalia in a dispute before the Council of State concerning the public tender procedure for the concession of the management of the computerised lottery and other fixed-odds numerical games.
- Acting for the Italian government as experts in energy law in an ECT international arbitration.
- Assisted Acquedotto Pugliese S.p.A. with drafting a legal opinion about corporate issues related to the Code of Public Contracts.
Studio Legale Amministrativisti Associati
Studio Legale Amministrativisti Associati is a boutique firm specialising in administrative law and regularly handles transactions involving the City of Milan. Guido Bardelli focuses on this line of work; he also handles urban development projects and advises on urban planning issues, construction projects and public procurements. Litigator and arbitrator Antonio Papi Rossi is another key lawyer in the team, who acts in cases before the regional and national courts and the Court of Auditors; he has particular expertise in regulatory issues, environmental work and energy law.
Guido Bardelli; Maria Alessandra Bazzani; Ada Lucia De Cesaris; Antonio Papi Rossi; Marta Spaini
‘The right skills, both on paper and in the field. Quick replies.’
Luxottica Group S.p.A.
Milano Depur S.p.a.
REDO SGR S.p.A.
Palladium Italia S.r.l.
Comune di Sesto San Giovanni
COIMA SGR SpA
- Acting for Palladium Italia Srl on an operation involving the alienation of a large real estate complex with a monumental and environmental restriction affected by a redevelopment and transformation project for the construction of a luxury hotel in the Municipality of Venice.
- Advising COIMA SGR SpA as the asset management company of the closed-end real estate alternative mutual fund reserved to professional investors “PN Centrale”, on urban planning and construction issues relating to the forthcoming building operation “Gioia 20”.
- Assisted Milanodepur S.p.a. with regard to a concession for the purification and treatment of water in the metropolitan city of Milan.
Dentons' public policy and regulation practice is especially recognised for its environmental, town planning, urban development, PPP and public procurement work. Projects are carried out by practice head Federico Vanetti, who also acts as co-head of the European environmental protection regulatory practice. Other key members of the team include newly promoted partner Ilaria Gobbato, who is an 'excellent, astounding lawyer' with expertise in the life sciences sector; and town planning, real estate, and energy law expert Elena Macchi, who joined the team as senior counsel in late 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Ilaria Gobbato; Elena Macchi
‘Excellent law firm, well-structured and with very expert lawyers.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato is an excellent, astounding lawyer. She counselled us on high-profile, complex matters, showcasing a great deal of expertise. Moreover, she is incredibly available for any requests for clarifications and immediate legal advice.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato – great analytical skills, she absorbs the information most important for her customer.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato has profound knowledge in public procurement law.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato: competent and experienced, very open to discussions with the client.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato stands out for her profound knowledge of the subject, clarity of presentation, effective indication of risks, options and solutions. Excellent exposure also in English. She enables the client to easily understand even controversial aspects of the matter and accompanies them towards the most correct and effective decision.’
‘The Firm is constantly updated on regulatory and jurisprudential developments, proactive in providing solutions to clients and able to understand the needs of the client by placing them in the relevant legal context.’
Real Estate Strategie Immobiliari S.r.l.
Europa Gestioni Immobiliari S.p.A.
Orion Capital Managers
M&G Real Estate
LCN Capital Partners
Aeroporto Friuli Venezia Giulia S.p.A.
The Student Hotel
- Assisting Lendlease, acting as adviser to Arexpo S.p.A., with the management of the redevelopment plan of former Milan Expo 2015 area.
- Providing town planning assistance to Europa Gestioni Immobiliari SpA in relation to the client’s site development in Milan and in relation to a strategic agreement signed with FS Sistemi Urbani.
- Acted for Dea Capital on town planning issues in relation to the urban development project of an area located in Basiglio (Milan) and known as Milano 4.
Grimaldi Studio Legale's administrative and public law team provides day-to-day advice on issues in connection with environment, urban planning, public services and project finance mandates as well as handling complex disputes regarding energy, infrastructure, transport and public procurement matters. Practice head Francesco Sciaudone combines his regulatory and administrative practice with expertise in European and national competition law, where the group leverages the firm's presence in Brussels, London, Lugano and New York. Tender procedures and transactions in the air and sea navigation sectors are also key competences of the group.
- Acting for e.distribuzione before the administrative court in claims submitted by Telecom and Fastweb relating to the terms and conditions set up by e-distribuzione S.p.A. for the utilisation of the energy grid in order to realise fibre cables.
- Representing more than 800 energy producers and assoRinnovabili (the Italian association of renewable energy operators) before the administrative courts and the Constitutional Court in order to obtain the annulment of the provisions affecting the incentives regime for renewable energy plants.
- Advising the European Parliament on contract law, company law and European administrative law.
LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners
Damiano Lipani heads up LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners' administrative and public law practice. The team is recognised for acting with the firm's other practices on tender procedures and restructuring projects.
Pavia e Ansaldo
Pavia e Ansaldo's team is divided into an administrative law group under the joint leadership of Nico Moravia and Marco Giustiniani, and an environmental law practice headed up by Matteo Benozzo and Francesco Bruno. The wider department is particularly known for representing operators in the telecoms and transport sectors; the group was notably involved in the development of Italy’s fibre optic and 5G network.
Nico Moravia; Marco Giustiniani; Matteo Benozzo; Francesco Bruno
‘Very wide availability.’
‘Great attention to customer needs.’
‘Competence and speed of response.’
‘Practical sense, clarity, maximum availability.’
‘Most complete availability, but also a great ability to listen to and to meet customer requests.’
‘Matteo Benozzo has great availability, professionalism, immediate response times, pragmatism and provides excellent results.’
‘Matteo Benozzo takes total ownership of the cases entrusted to him and responds with extraordinarily fast timing. In this matter, he has an almost unique authority on the legal market, especially for what concerns the environmental sector.’
Rai – Radiotelevisione Italiana SpA
Open Fiber SpA
Accord Healthcare Italia / Assogenerici
Aeroporti Roma S.p.A
Cap Holding s.p.a.
Kuwait Petroleum Italia
Roullier Group Zone Italie
Samsung Electronics Italia S.p.A.
TAXIBLU – Consorzio RadioTaxi Satellitare Società Cooperativa / APP TAXI soc. coop.
Verizon Italia S.p.A.
Colt Technology Services SpA
Wolters Kluwer Italia S.r.l.
SONEPAR Italia s.r.l.
- Advising a joint venture between the largest electricity utility in Italy and one of the most important state-owned Italian financial institutions on issues related to the ongoing development of the country’s new fibre optic network.
- Advising the Port Authority of Ravenna on the public procurement aspects of the largest ongoing redevelopment of a European port.
- Advising Trenitalia, the Italian state-owned rail operator, on its joint venture with Air Nostrum S.A., which won the public tender for the operation of Spain’s high-speed railway network which was recently opened to tender by foreign companies for the first time.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie's administrative and public law team has a particular focus on real estate, hotel, environment and health and safety matters. Pierfrancesco Federici leads the group and excels at public tenders, disputes, public procurement work and regulatory and planning matters. Of counsel Francesco Goisis focuses on litigation, acting before the regional and national courts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Being part of an international network, the firm is structured so that it is able to meet the requirements of companies that want to deal with foreign markets.’
‘The professionals are reliable, punctual and attentive to details.’
Applied Medical Distribution Europe BV
Bio Rad Laboratories
- Acting for Waters in extrajudicial and judicial proceedings in the Administrative Courts for tenders related to the supply medical devices.
- Assisted the former sole director of ATAC S.p.A. in complex proceedings before the Court of Audit concerning the administrative liability of the sole director for alleged lack of public tender procedures.
- Assisted Bio-Rad Laboratories with public tenders relating to the supply of medical devices as well as to the quality control of medical devices.
BIP - Belvedere Inzaghi & Partners
BIP - Belvedere Inzaghi & Partners has a notable reputation for handling real estate and urban planning mandates, which are the team's main areas of activity; it also assists with logistics, sport, public procurement, and PPP matters. The group, which is led by real estate and urban planning experts Antonio Belvedere and Guido Alberto Inzaghi , added three associates in late 2019, and expanded further in early 2020, when Ivana Magistrelli joined from Grimaldi Studio Legale.
Antonio Belvedere; Guido Alberto Inzaghi
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep knowledge of the subject and continuous support throughout the development of the case. Antonio Belvedere is an authority.’
‘Extraordinary skills in urban planning law, exceptional ability to create contacts with the Milanese public administration and great professionalism.’
‘Antonio Belvedere is a great professional.’
‘The team led by Guido Inzaghi represents a point of excellence in the sector of building and urban planning law.’
‘The recent entry of Ivana Magistrelli has brought to the team the necessary expertise to brilliantly deal with real estate transactions also from a transaction point of view.’
‘Ivana Magistrelli stands out for her great competence and versatility on the transactions side.’
Apollo Global Management
Cassa depositi e prestiti
Coima SGR S.p.A.
Eurocommercial Properties Italia S.r.l.
Finint Investment SGR S.p.A.
Savills Investment Management SGR S.p.A.
- Advised Milano S. Giulia S.p.A. on filing the final proposal of variante al programma integrato di intervento Montecity-Rogoredo, published by the municipality of Milan.
- Advised Nexity Milano Piranesi on obtaining the building title for the requalification of a former industrial building complex sited in an area that is going through a complete renewal, to become a residential building complex.
- Assisted Carlo Maresca Group S.p.A. with obtaining the necessary building title to build hippodrhome, a new residential complex to be built in Ippodromo 8 in Milan.
The public law team at Bird & Bird, which is headed up by Simone Cadeddu, provides regulatory and public procurement advice and has regulatory and administrative litigation expertise. National and global clients in regulated sectors including the energy, telecoms, infrastructure and security industries instruct the group on issues relating to regulatory requirements, relationship management work and public tenders. Cadeddu regularly assists Telecom Italia and is active in the aviation, defence and life sciences sectors.
Cubico Sustainable Investments Limited
Dompé Farmaceutici S.r.l.
Mundipharma Pharmaceuticals S.r.l.
Smiths Detection Italia S.r.l.
Telecom Italia S.p.A.
Thyssenkrupp Elevators Italia S.r.l.
- Acted for Mylan S.p.A. in regulatory litigation relating to the appeal of several decisions regarding refunds on medicinal products based on fixed combinations of active principles.
- Advised Terna S.p.A. on the management of a tender procedure launched by the client for the selection of the private contractor.
- Advised Smiths Detection Italia S.r.l. on several tenders launched by Italian airports as well as the Italian Customs Agency.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
The highly specialised, Rome-based administrative and public law team at De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani stands out for its expertise in public tenders and the related disputes, especially in the medical devices and pharmaceuticals industries. The team has also advised on Covid-19 legislation, with a particular focus on private facilities for emergency situations and the related administrative disputes. National and international clients instruct practice head Antonella Terranova on public procurement and regulatory work and mandates in the pharmaceuticals, real estate and sports industries.
Cial – consorzio imballaggi alluminio
Fallimento bari porto mediterraneo
Rolex sa and rolex italia spa
- Advised various operators before the Administrative Courts regarding the application of the annual contribution to be paid to the Transport Regulation Authority.
- Represented Fallimento Association Columbus in litigation before the Administrative Court of Latium against the Latium Region for the destination of Columbus Hospital as a specialised structure for patients affected by Covid-19.
- Advising Stanley Betting Group in Italy on its participation in a public tender for the award of on-line gaming concessions, and acting in a number of contentious cases against the Government and the Customs and Monopolies Agency in the Administrative Courts and before the Council of State
Nctm Studio Legale
In administrative and European public law mandates, Nctm Studio Legale displays particular strength in the public transport, infrastructure and oil and gas sectors. Other areas of expertise include public contracts, concessions, utilities, environmental law and zoning regulations; all are key elements of group head Giuliano Berruti's practice. Marco Monaco is an expert in regulatory issues and EU and national loans.
Other key lawyers:
A.P. Moller – Maersk
Provincia di Bolzano
Italo – Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori S.p.A.
Thales Italia S.p.A.
Roma Metropolitane S.r.l.
Università degli Studi di Milano
ASUGI (Azienda Sanitaria Universitaria Giuliano Isontina)
Autovie Venete S.p.A.
- Assisted APM Terminals with regard to all the procedures and related controversies regarding the construction of the port in Vado Ligure.
- Represented Italo Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori – NTV S.p.A. in cases concerning the concession for carrying on the high-speed train service on the Italian high-speed railway infrastructure.
- Advised Thales Italia and related companies with regard to the participation in public tender proceedings.
Pedersoli Studio Legale
At Pedersoli Studio Legale, Sergio Fienga leads the administrative law department, which specialises in public contracts and tenders, concessions and construction mandates, as well as town planning, real estate and environmental work. The group's integration with the firm's corporate department allows the team to assist with the administrative aspects of M&A deals.
‘Precision and attention to detail.’
Eni Gas e Luce
IDeA Taste of Italy
Gestore dei Servizi Energetici – GSE
Gruppo SAVE S.p.A. Aeroporti Venezia
Fondazione Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci
AEER – Arpinge
Talesun Energy Solutions
Enel Energia S.p.A.
Sicurezza & Ambiente S.p.A.
- Assisting Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane (Inwit) with the administrative law issues relating to the merger by incorporation of Vodafone Towers in Inwit.
- Assisting Intesa Sanpaolo with the administrative law aspects of the sale of a majority stake owned in Società di Progetto Brebemi, a company that manages a stretch of motorway that connects Milan to Brescia, to Aleatica.
- Assisting Voilàp Holding with the administrative law aspects of the negotiation of agreements for the acquisition of 80% of the corporate capital of Mecal.
Stefano Zunarelli leads the administrative and public law practice at Zunarelli – Studio Legale Associato, which primarily focuses on infrastructure projects and transport work including project financings, tenders, public procurements, licences, authorisations and concessions. The firm is a key name for building and construction businesses, port and airport operators, and shipping and insurance companies.
Assoporti – Italian Port Authorities Association
Autorità di Sistema Portuale del Mare Tirreno Settentrionale (Leghorn Port Authority)
Autorità Portuale del Mare Adriatico Centro Settentrionale (Ravenna Port Authority)
Autorità di Sistema Portuale del Mare Adriatico Settentrionale (Venice Port Authority)
Autorità di Sistema Portuale del Mare Tirreno Centrale (Rome Port Authority)
Comune di Parma (Parma Municipality)
Confetra Confederazione Generale Italiana dei Trasporti e della Logistica
Confitarma (Italian Ship Owners Association)
F2i Fondi Italiani per le infrastrutture SGR SpA
Friuli Venezia Giulia Region
Gesap – Airport of Palermo
Interporto Bologna S.p.A.
S.A.B. S.p.A. – Airport of Bologna
Autorità Portuale di Gioia Tauro
Costa Crociere S.p.a.
Emilia Romagna Region
Morandi Logistic Group
- Advised a regional government on the tendering procedures for regional and local public road transport services.
- Advised a financial company on the acquisition of two port terminal operators.
- Advised an airport operator on the start-up of new air services, assisting with the negotiation with the Italian Civil Aviation Authority.
Bertacco Recla & Partners
With the addition of Francesca Tresoldi, who joined from Negri-Clementi Studio Legale Associato, STUDIO LEGALE BERTACCO RECLA's public contracts department includes practice head Jacopo Recla, who advises clients on services and supply tenders and acts in judicial procedures before the regional and national administrative courts. The group also handles urban planning, construction and public works issues.
Other key lawyers:
Paolo Bertacco; Gabriella Rondoni; Francesco Rovetta; Francesca Tresoldi
‘Excellent technical knowledge and professionalism. Paolo Bertacco shows availability and high legal knowledge.’
‘For every request for info, advice or legal assistance, they always respond quickly and competently. In the interaction, they have always proved to be collaborative and constructive, understanding the contexts and bringing added value to the identified legal team.’
‘Both name partners show willingness to compare and investigate various issues relating to the public market for works and services. They always respond quickly and effectively to requests made by the clients.’
‘Jacopo Recla is competent and helpful.’
‘Strong negotiating skills, deep knowledge and experience of administrative activities, constant presence of the partner in the team and not just coordination of operational resources.’
‘Great transparency in agreeing the costs of the service.’
‘Gabriella Rondoni and Francesco Rovetta show availability, commitment and competence.’
‘Great deal of experience in tenders.’
‘Transparency, seriousness and availability.’
Westfield Milan S.p.a. (Unibail Rodamco Westfield)
Invesco Real Estate Management S.à.r.l.
Astellas Pharma S.p.a.
Roche Diagnostics S.p.a.
Nestlè Italiana S.p.a.
Dea Capital Real Estate SGR S.p.a.
China Investment S.p.a.
GSD Real Estate S.r.l.
CDP Immobiliare S.r.l. (Cassa Depositi e Prestiti)
B. Braun Milano S.p.a.
Stago Italia S.r.l.
- Assisting Westfield Milan S.p.a. (Unibail Rodamco Westfield) with all public tenders to award work and services connected with enhancing the first and second sections of the Cassanese-bis provincial road.
- Represented Roche Diagnostics S.p.a. in several claims throughout Italy and in particular in the claim accepted by Regional Administrative Court of Abruzzo that resulted in the exclusion of the previous winner and the provision of the award to Roche for the supply of analytical systems.
- Advising Nestlé Italiana S.p.a. on public contracts and in particular in relation to the contract to be entered into with A.li.Sa. following the award of the public tender for the supply of protein supplements in the Liguria, Lombardy and Valle d’Aosta Regions for three years.
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato fields Francesco Paolo Francica, who leads the team and is an expert in town planning, telecoms and regulatory matters, and Roberta Valentini, who handles utility contracts and agreements with government entities. A key area of activity for the group includes assisting domestic and overseas companies with public contracts for the supply of medicines, medical devices and diagnostic equipment.
Francesco Paolo Francica
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent ability to deal with the most varied issues without showing any difficulty in dealing with technical or innovative aspects. Francesco Francica and Roberta Valentini have great pragmatism and the ability to gain insights into the clients’ businesses.’
‘Francesco Francica is fast, competent and dedicated.’
Anemos Wind s.r.l.
Delta Bloc International GmbH
Domo Film Solutions SpA
Gm Power S.r.l.
HQ Engeneering S.r.l.
Stryker Italia S.r.l.
- Advised Igi Poseidon on the construction of a gas pipeline in Otranto.
- Acted for Delta Bloc International GmbH in litigation relating to a tender issued by ANAS S.p.A., concerning the four-year framework agreement for the production, supply and installation of the new Anas S.p.A. barrier.
- Advising Stryker on tender procedures and awarding works, supplies and services contracts, in the regulated sector of medical devices.
Enrico Follieri & Associati Studio Legale is a key name for administrative work in Southern Italy. The team is integrated into the firm's civil, corporate and commercial law department and provides assistance to clients in a range of industry sectors; it also handles litigation before all levels of the Administrative Courts. Enrico Follieri, who leads the practice, is an expert in renewable energy.
Fonderie Pisano & C. S.p.A.
Interporto Regionale della Puglia S.p.A.
Item Oxygen S.r.l.
Confcommercio Imprese per l’Italia – Foggia
Daunia Energia S.r.l.
Costeldati Segnalamento S.r.l.
Luigi Guarnati S.r.l.
Casa di Cura Regina S.r.l.
- Advised Fonderie Pisano S.p.A. on the Integrated Environmental Authorization of its foundry.
- Acted for Interporto Regionale della Puglia S.p.A. in administrative procedures regarding the enlargement and refurbishment of the intermodal hub of Bari.
- Advised a temporary joint venture on the tender procedure for extraordinary maintenance works on Italian railways.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi's public law and procurement department is particularly active in the energy and transportation sectors; the aviation, maritime and public transport industries are key areas of activity. Marco Sella in Milan, Francesco Piron in Verona and Giannalberto Mazzei in Rome jointly lead the practice and specialise in environmental, energy and public procurement issues respectively.
Marco Sella; Francesco Piron; Giannalberto Mazzei
‘Availability and diligence in carrying out the assignments.’
‘Francesco Piron demonstrates uncommon availability, excellent preparation in the reference sector, and up-to-date knowledge of the legislative and jurisprudential background. Excellent knowledge of the energy sector and cross-expertise on administrative and civil law issues.’
Alperia Smart Services Gmbh
ATS Power and other traders/operators
Autolinee Toscane S.p.A. (RATP Group)
Compagnie Valdôtaine Des Eaux S.P.A.
C.U.RA. Consorzio Utilities Ravenna S.C.R.L.
Gas Sales S.r.l.
HERA S.P.A. + HERA GROUP SPA
Iberdrola Clienti Italia
IES Italiana Energia e Servizi S.p.A.
Spigas S.r.l., Tecniconsul Service S.r.l.
- Assisted Autolinee Toscane S.p.A. with the public tender for the management of the public transport service.
- Acted for Caviro Extra before the Administrative Court (Tar Lazio) regarding the allocation of specific incentive schemes to its plant for the production of biomethane.
- Acted for C.U.RA. Consorzio Utilities Ravenna S.c.r.l. in prescriptive/sanctioning proceedings initiated by ARERA.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe has a strong profile in the energy, infrastructure, construction and real estate sectors. Francesca Isgrò leads the administrative and public law department and deals with transactions involving project financing issues, PPPs and public finance work. She is also a litigator and acts in disputes arising from contracts, concessions, and banking and insurance-related issues.
SZA Studio Legale
Working closely with the firm's corporate department, SZA Studio Legale's administrative law and public utilities team provides an integrated service. Danilo Tassan Mazzocco and Luca Guffanti jointly lead the team and advise public administrations and utilities on public tenders, PPPs, joint ventures, and civil protection work. In 2020, the group gained a number of new domestic and international clients.
Danilo Tassan Mazzocco; Luca Guffanti
‘Competence, multidisciplinarity, attention to customer needs.’
‘Danilo Tassan Mazzocco: a point of reference in administrative law, with great experience in the field of TAR / Council of State litigation. Luca Guffanti: serious and competent professional, much appreciated for his in-depth knowledge of both the subject of public procurement and the functioning of companies and public bodies.’
‘Multidisciplinary practice with high professionalism in every sector. This allows the team to deal with complex transactions that concern both civil and corporate issues as well as administrative law.’
‘Some key strengths are the team’s preparation, its knowledge of legal technicalities and – undoubtedly – the professional credibility of some professionals deriving from their past successes.’
ENGIE ITALIA S.p.A.
CONSORZIO AUTONOLEGGIATORI ALTO ADIGE – KSM -C.A.A.
BETA 80 S.p.A.
GI GROUP S.p.A
AGESP ENERGIA S.r.l.
NEW LISI S.p.A.
Milano Serravalle – Milano Tangenziali S.p.A.
Città di Torino
Comune di Lonigo
Lario Reti Holding S.p.A.
Società Ferrovie Udine Cividale S.r.l.
Nuove Acque S.p.A.
Acque Toscane S.p.A.
Suez Italia S.p.A.
Provincia di Cremona
Gelsia Ambiente S.r.l.
Suez Trattamento Acque S.p.A.
Fondazione Regionale Lombardia Ambiente
CAP Holding S.p.A.
Banca Farmafactoring S.p.A.
Comune di Firenze
GSE – Gestore Servizi Energetici
AMGA LEGNANO S.p.A.
- Assisting the City of Turin with the preparation of tender documents and with the subsequent procedure for selecting the new operator of the natural gas distribution service in the Turin ATEM 1.
- Assisting Suez Trattamento Acque with its participation in the tender procedure for the assignment of the management and maintenance service of urban wastewater treatment plants, sewage lifting and pre-treatment located in the Region of Sardinia.
- Advised a client on participating in a tender launched by the Autonomous Province of Bolzano for transport services from 2020-2023.
Tonucci & Partners
Primarily focusing on public procurement and public private partnerships, the administrative and public law team at Tonucci & Partners acts for private and public clients in judicial and extrajudicial cases. In Rome, Alberto Fantini and Luca Spaziani head up the team and assist public administrations, local authorities and public and private companies with public tenders and public contracts. In Trieste, Pasquale Silvestro handles energy and regulatory issues, as well as project financing work.
Alberto Fantini; Luca Spaziani; Pasquale Silvestro
U.S. Triestina Calcio 1918
Comune di Anagni
Comune di Alatri
Terme Pompeo S.r.l.
Generali Welion S.c.a r.l.
Paladino Costruzioni S.r.l.
Ital Co. El S.r.l.
S.O.S. Telefono Azzurro
- Advising a pool of professionals on the construction of the new Triestina Sports Centre.
- Assisting a client with the judgment at the Civil Court of Rome relating to the execution of construction works for the underground line Metro C.
- Acting in the judgment before Constitutional Court for constitutional illegitimacy regulation on the recovery of incentives by GSE.