Administrative and public law in Italy
BonelliErede further cemented its position in this space through the firm's acquisition of Lombardi e Associati in July 2019, bringing in experts in administrative law, Mario Pisapia and Luigi Pontrelli. The team, which is headed by Luca Perfetti, has recently handled matters for major Italian and international clients, including acting in litigation for RFI and handling an ongoing claim against the Italian Competition Authority for Ryanair. The team has recently been particularly active in matters relating to the telecoms, energy, utilities and real estate sectors. Alessandro Rosi and Raffaele Cassano, who stands out for his 'incredible attention to detail', are also noted.
‘Raffaele Cassano is the ideal partner: polite, responsive, extremely professional and with exceptional technical skills. He brings added value to the table, and he leads litigation with incredible attention to detail, thinking about both short- and long-term impact in complex decision-making situations.‘
‘Mr Cassano is, in my opinion, the best lawyer in administrative law in Italy.‘
Cairo Network – LA7
- Acting for Cairo Network in proceedings worth over €250m for the reorganisation of the broadcasting system.
- Defending RFI in litigation concerning the €2.7bn high-speed line from Milan to Venice.
- Defending Ilva against a claim worth over €1bn concerning a new environmental plan for its plant in Taranto.
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners' sizeable department regularly acts for high-profile clients in the energy and financial sectors, where it displays 'excellent communication and flexibility'. Antonella Capria and Antonio Lirosi head the practice from Milan and Rome, respectively. Alongside handling a number of oil and gas projects, the team is also assisting ArcelorMittal with its bid to acquire Ilva; Elisabetta Gardini, who has received praise for her 'excellent professionalism' and 'proactive spirit', is leading the advice. The team includes experts in environmental law, and is adept at handling matters before the highest judicial authorities. Giuseppe Velluto and Maria Grazia Lanero are other noteworthy names.
Antonella Capria; Antonio Lirosi
‘Although I have worked with several professors of administrative law and several high-end law firms, I have never found a comparable quality in terms of study of the dossiers and depth of the legal analysis.‘
‘In the field of environmental law and energy, the GOGC&P studio, and in particular the Antonella Capria team, excels in professionalism, excellent knowledge of the regulatory framework, timeliness and seriousness in assistance to the customer.’
‘High-level competence, a business-oriented legal approach and specific knowledge of the industry make GOPC&P team different from competitors.‘
‘Completely available and immediately responsive with top assistance.‘
Total E&P Italia
Hitachi Rail Italy
Città Metropolitana di Venezia
- Assisting Arcelor Mittal with its €2bn bid to acquire Ilva’s steel plants.
- Acting for Total E&P Italia in lodging an appeal to the President of the Italian Republic against the Basilicata region regarding the region’s decision to forbid operating tests necessary to bring the company’s concession to the production phase.
- Representing Hitachi Rail Italy in its appeal against a resolution issued by Consob alleging collusion during a tender offer.
The 'responsive and highly professional' administrative and public law department at Legance - Avvocati Associati has expertise in public sector contracts, town planning and local development, public financing, energy, environmental and real estate matters. The group is jointly headed by Giuseppe Abbruzzese, Alessandro Botto, Filippo Pacciani and new arrival Cristina Martorana. Martorana, an environmental law specialist who joined from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, has considerable experience in the energy sector. Her expert advice was invaluable in a number of energy matters, including assistance to Energean Oil and Gas with its €1bn acquisition of Edison Exploration & Production, which required particular knowledge of the environmental impact of decommissioning on-shore and off-shore oil platforms. Alessandra Palatini, who was promoted to senior counsel in June 2020, is also noted.
Giuseppe Abbruzzese; Alessandro Botto; Filippo Pacciani; Cristina Martorana
‘Great availability and knowledge not only of legal issues but also of those most closely linked to the clients’ business.‘
‘Professor Alessandro Botto is able to understand and solve legal problems at all levels. His experience makes him a point of reference in the market, thanks also to his ability to make himself always available and simplify complex legal issues for clients. Giacomo Testa is an expert in the field of public contracts and administrative procedures, both in judicial and out-of-court matters. His enthusiasm and ability to analyse and solve various legal problems place him among the most appreciated lawyers by clients.’
‘Alessandro Botto and Filippo Pacciani are able to identify the core elements of cases and to advise on an efficient strategy from the beginning. They come highly recommended.’
‘Legance practice stands out for its competence and wide availability in the activities it carries out both for assistance and for protection in court.’
San Donato Group
- Acting for aviation company Leonardo in administrative proceeding brought against it regarding a tender procedure worth €400m from the National Security Institute.
- Representing Bluenergy, Unitrading and NGC 6611 in an administrative appeal.
- Representing Lottomatica in proceedings before the Administrative Court of Lazio regarding its concession for the management of instant lotteries.
The highly regarded Studio Legale Villata, Degli Esposti e Associati specialises exclusively in administrative and public law. Founding partners, the 'outstanding' Riccardo Villata and the 'excellent' Andreina Degli Esposti, jointly head a team with 'extensive and unparalleled experience', which has developed longstanding relationships with major clients from a wide range of sectors, with particular strengths in energy, finance, healthcare and telecoms. Highlights included assisting energy company Zephyro with public tenders worth €285m. The firm also acts for clients in criminal proceedings. Federico Ianeselli was made up to partner in January 2019 and Laura Sommaruga is also recommended.
Riccardo Villata; Andreina Degli Esposti
‘Top-level in terms of response time, business acumen, industry knowledge, appropriateness of advice, strength and depth of team, and value for money.’
‘Undisputed skills combined with a frank and cordial approach‘
‘I would single out Professor Villata, who has always been an outstanding point of reference for every judicial matter, and Mrs Andreina Degli Esposti, who assists us on extra-judicial matters with her excellent instinct and learned perspective.’
‘Equity partners Prof. Villata Riccardo and Avv. Andreina degli Esposti both have considerable competence in the sector; they are extremely competent and therefore provide legal opinions that are always balanced and effective.‘
Lloyd’s Italian Office
- Acting for BNP Paribas Leasing Solutions in a real estate judicial matter worth €15m.
- Representing longstanding client Tamoil in disputes against illegitimate revocations of oil station licences and unlawful awards of land concessions.
- Advising Lloyd’s on the process of incorporation of a new Lloyd’s company under Belgian law.
Chiomenti's administrative and public law department is particularly strong in banking, regulatory and contract law, and regularly works in the healthcare, energy and real estate sectors. In recent work, practice head Filippo Brunetti, who is noted for his 'effective and concrete' advice, acted for Banco BPM in an administrative dispute with local authorities regarding waste disposal at one of the company's properties; counsel Alfredo Vitale was also part of the team. Counsel Loredana Giani Maguire and recently promoted partner Giulio Napolitano, who are also professors of administrative law, are other names to note.
‘It assists with high professionalism, timeliness, dedication and commitment, the bank itself, providing timely and exhaustive opinions and the best legal support even in disputes.‘
‘Great professionalism and synergy between the various skills of the firm.’
‘Chiomenti guarantees top-level legal advice that is worth the higher fees that it applies to its clients.’
‘Filippo Brunetti stands out for his high professionalism and preparation in his field of competence (administrative and public law), is always up to date, timely in dealing with requests, endowed with a high practical sense, oriented to the solution of problems, very attentive to the best protection of the interests of the company I work for.‘
Air Liquide Sanità Service
Api Anonima Petroli Italiana
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Unipol Gruppo Finanziario
- Representing UnipolSai and other group companies in disputes concerning the awarding of public contracts for the supply of insurance services.
- Drafting regulations for the Italian Olympic Committee addressed to sport federations.
- Representing Abbott before administrative courts relating to the awarding of public procurement contracts for medical devices.
The public law team at Clifford Chance, which is 'always approachable and responsive', regularly acts for major public and private companies in Italy, with particular strengths in the telecoms, energy and government sectors. Practice head Aristide Police has 'considerable legal competence'; his recent work includes acting for Enel in judicial proceeding relating to public tenders procedures. Police, assisted by Filippo Degni, is also representing RAI, Italy's public broadcaster, before the Regional Administrative Court of Lazio and the Council of State in several judicial proceedings related to public tender procedures. Other recent work includes defending Alitalia against a claim brought by a consumers' association against a ministerial decree appointing extraordinary commissioners to the company.
‘They understand the real needs of the customer by dispensing advice that takes into account a context wider than the pure legal environment. They add a rigorous legal analysis to this.’
‘They have the ability to solve complex legal problems in a practical and effective way.’
‘The Clifford Chance team combines a deep knowledge of the Italian Administrative Law with a flexible approach that allow its professionals to promptly understand the changing situations and needs of a young and fast-moving company.‘
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
- Acting for an Italian mail company in a judicial review before the Civil Court of Rome concerning the recovery of the company’s claims against the Ministry of Economic Development worth €62m.
- Acting for Sorgente SGR S.p.A. in proceedings brought by the National Foundation for the Assistance of Business Agents and Business Representatives for the replacement of the client as the manager of two investment funds
- Representing CNS in relation to a claim worth €3bn filed against Consip.
DLA Piper's team has a 'pragmatic vision' and advises across the whole spectrum of administrative and public law, with strength in regulations and tenders. Germana Cassar and Giorgia Romitelli jointly head the practice. In recent major work, Cassar was able to draw on her 'excellent knowledge of the renewable energy sector' to act for six different companies operating photovoltaic plants in discrimination claims against the Italian government before the European Court of Human Rights. Romitelli's work on contentious administrative matters encompasses matters relating to life sciences, telecoms and public works concessions.
Germana Cassar; Giorgia Romitelli
‘They work day and night to resolve problems and to find solutions for their customers. There have good synergies with their IP colleagues in order to cover all matters of legal dispute.‘
‘No other lawyers are comparable to Germana for her intelligence and aptitude, for her commitment to her job, for her consistency, her knowledge in the administrative field and in law, and her incredible sensitivity to her customers.’
EMC Computer Systems Italia
Trans Adriatic Pipeline
Fri-El Green Power
Abbott Medical Italia
Asolo Hospital Service
- Acting for EMC Computer Systems Italia in a contentious matter concerning the awarding of a tender in its favour.
- Acting for Hydro Catania in its claim to the European Commission regarding possible breaches of EU law in a matter worth around €900m.
- Representing Green Energy in litigation and successfully terminating criminal proceedings against it worth €60m.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's administrative and public law team benefits from its integration into the firm's global network. It also works closely with many of the firm's other practices, including M&A, and project and structured finance, which enables the team to cater to the needs of Italian and international clients across various sectors. It has been particularly active handling environmental matters and public tenders and has also seen a steady stream of work from the oil and gas sector. Francesca Angeloni heads the team, which is known for its 'industry knowledge' and 'ability to understand business needs'. Senior associate Emanuela Cocco is also noted.
‘The commitment to support the client’s request, even when really challenging, was one of the key capabilities Hogan Lovells put in place over the last few years.’
‘Francesca Angeloni’s seniority and customer-oriented vision allowed her to support the company even beyond environmental law, advising in delicate M&A procedures, delivering results always according to our timing needs.’
Satta Romano & Associati
Satta Romano & Associati is entirely dedicated to administrative and public law. It has a particular focus on non-contentious work, but has has the ability to handle disputes up to the highest judicial levels. The team acts for a wide range of major clients in different sectors. In recent work, it represented Lottoitalia in a public tender procedure dispute worth €6.6bn, which was heard before the European Court of Justice. Filippo Satta is highly active in technology-related matters and digital development in public administration, energy and environment. Anna Romano, who is praised for her 'target-oriented communication', focuses on public procurement and contracts, and concessions.
Filippo Satta; Anna Romano
‘I liked the studio, in addition to its competence and professionalism, its desire to compete and get involved in a different and unusual way of working.’
‘Highly specialised team at home in telecommunications and data protection law. Thorough specialization, know-how and tailor-made supply.’
‘The owners are always ready to examine in practice the situations from which the problems arise with legal implications, sharing the evaluation with the company management and verifying the concrete consequences in terms of application to the business.’
Autostrade del Lazio
Gestore Servizi Energetici
Università Campus Biomedico di Roma
Italian Ministry of Economic Development and Ministry of Environment, Land and the Sea
- Defending ENI in a dispute worth €3m concerning the awarding of a procurement contract.
- Representing Autostrade del Lazio in a procurement contract dispute worth €2.7bn.
- Acting for Be Smart in a dispute worth €2.5m in a regional administrative court relating to the direct award of IT services and products.
Studio Legale Amministrativisti Associati
Boutique firm Studio Legale Amministrativisti Associati specialises in aspects administrative and planning law as it relates to urban developments. Guido Bardelli, who is 'highly effective and determined', has considerable experience in urban planning law and social housing and Alessandra Bazzani has in-depth knowledge of public procurement, construction and litigation. The team also focuses on public tenders (particularly procurement and technology in the healthcare, pharmaceutical, technology and energy sectors) and environmental law. The group's expertise in the renewable energy and real estate sectors was bolstered by the arrival of Marta Spaini from Studio Legale Leone-Torrani e Associati in 2019. The team also handles disputes and regulatory matters.
Guido Bardelli; Maria Alessandra Bazzani
‘They display professionalism, competence, seriousness and maximum precision in dealing with the client, with public administration and also with counterparts, both in areas of maximum importance and in apparently secondary details, with an excellent division of roles and competences.’
‘They are very prepared and responsive in answers.’
- Advising InvestiRE SGR on social housing issues regarding urban planning law in Milan.
- Acting for Luxottica Group in administrative proceedings regarding a real estate development for new Luxottica offices in Milan in a deal worth €50m.
- Advising Milanodepur on the concession for the purification and treatment of water in Milan, worth €10m.
LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners
Damiano Lipani heads the public and administrative law team at LC&P - Lipani Catricalà & Partners, which includes 'real subject-matter experts' and is praised for its 'attention to the customer'. A cross-practice team is advising Arexpo on a restricted tender worth €2bn for a high-profile restructuring project in Milan. Other major strengths include advising on tender procedures for major infrastructure companies such as Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda and ANSF. Giorgio Lezzi joined Osborne Clarke in 2019.
‘Damiano Lipani and his team are real subject-matter experts.’
‘The lawyers who work with us (Damiano Lipani and Roberto Ferraresi) are very responsive and always available.’
‘The distinctive element of this team of lawyers is the ability fully to take care of the problem submitted to their attention and to devote every ability and competence to solve it in the round. This feature is present in all the professionals of the firm. One never has the feeling, as with other firms, that their only interest is to invoice.‘
Finanziaria Bologna Metropolitana
Information Services Group Italia
Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda
De Vellis Servizi Globali
- Acting for Italian broadcaster Mediaset in cross-border litigation against Vivendi worth €1.5bn.
- Regarding Italian press agency Adnkronos in a dispute before the State Council regarding a public tender worth €26.4m.
- Advising Autostrada Pedemontana Lombarda on a tender procedure regarding the construction of a motorway section worth €4.1bn.
The environmental, regulatory and planning team at Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie combines general administrative and public law capabilities with expertise in import/export matters and the healthcare and defence sectors. Practice head Pierfrancesco Federici assisted medtech company Waters with two public tenders for medical devices in a deal worth about €7m. Roberto Cursano advised Lockheed Martin on obtaining administrative licences to import military items to Italy. Mario Cigno is also noted.
‘Hardworking, available and top quality work product.’
‘Baker & Mckenzie Law Firm has a friendly approach being able to understand companies’ necessity and business. It is able to give fast and efficient solutions.’
‘The whole team has provided us with very good service but Mario Cigno is a stand-out. He is always available, immediately “full bottle” on the answers and very willing and flexible to pursue the direction we want to pursue. He is also creative with solutions and also very open to innovative proposals.‘
‘Mario Cigno is a high-level lawyer with excellent communication skills. His approach is company-friendly because he is able to make practical examples in order to ensure the layperson can understand.‘
Solar Turbines (Caterpillar)
Bio Rad Laboratories
Colt Technology Services Group
- Assisting Solar Turbines (Caterpillar) with a supply contract worth over €100m within the Cassiopea project with ENI.
- Advising Lockheed Martin on obtaining all the various administrative licences and authorisations necessary to import military items into Italy and to store and transport the same items, and in dealings with Italian public authorities.
- Assisted Sodexo with two public tenders issued by two public bodies in Italy worth €7m.
Bird & Bird has particular expertise handling regulatory matters and litigation, focusing on the energy, communications, infrastructure and concessions, defence and aviation sectors. Headed by Simone Cadeddu, the team acted for a number of major Italian clients in public procurement matters recently. Highlights included acting for Telecom Italia in a competition lawsuit worth approximately €1bn. The firm is also a popular choice for clients in the pharmaceutical sector; the group is representing 11 pharmaceutical companies in separate appeals against the Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA). Senior associate Alfredo Cincotti joined PLC Studio Legale in 2019.
Raggio di Puglia 2
Smiths Detection Italia
Iba Molecular Italy
Cubico Sustainable Investments
Stock Spirits Group
Fine Properties Monte Carlo
- Defending Hydro Drilling regarding the award of a tender worth €25m.
- Acting for Telecom Italia in a competition lawsuit worth approximately €1bn.
- Representing 11 different pharmaceutical companies in separate appeals against a decision adopted by the Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA) worth €70m.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani has particular experience handling urban and town planning issues, pharmaceutical and life sciences regulatory work, as well as public procurement and public concessions. The department is headed by Antonella Terranova, who handles administrative matters, tenders and public procurement issues. Fabio Ferraro has been able to draw on his 'high level of specialisation' in betting and gaming law to handle a number of contentious and non-contentious matters for Stanley Betting Group.
‘Efficient and perfect on every occasion (also in complex situations and emergencies).’
‘Maximum availability of professionals and specialisation in the sector that is difficult to find elsewhere.‘
Stanley International Betting
- Representing the UK multinational Stanley Betting Group in a number of contentious cases involving tenders and concessions.
- Acting for Protex Italia in various disputes before the administrative courts and Council of State.
Dentons' public policy and regulation practice stands out for its 'breadth of skills' and 'reliability'. It covers a broad range of areas, with notable focus on matters relating to environment law, town planning and real estate, public tenders and healthcare. Practice head Federico Vanetti draws on his 'great experience in environmental and urban issues' to advise on a number of major urban development projects. Managing counsel Ilaria Gobbato ('careful, well-prepared and very diligent') specialises in healthcare and tenders; she assisted Mirova with the acquisition of Veneta Sanitaria Finanza di Progetto from Astaldi.
‘Thanks to the international connections of Dentons, the coordination with the teams of the various countries involved has worked well.‘
‘Great knowledge in public procurement law; very good in co-working with the other lawyers within the law firm and therefore giving excellent advice; always keeping the bigger picture in mind.‘
‘Absolute competence in understanding immediately the problems and needs of the client.’
‘Breadth of skills, reliability, ability to concretely orient business.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato has shown great competence in the management of public tenders. She has given the maximum availability of time and resources to deal with complex issues.’
‘Ilaria Gobbato has been able to represent properly our organisation in several public meetings and conferences, contributing with competence and specific deliverables. A great added value for the issues we worked on.’
Real Estate Strategie Immobiliari
The Student Hotel
Europa Gestioni Immobiliari
Aeroporto Friuli Venezia Giulia
- Assisting Lendlease with a major development project in Milan.
- Advising Student Hotel on the acquisition of a public real estate site located in Ponte Mosca area, near Turin, for the construction of new student accommodation worth $40-50m.
- Assisted a pool of banks (Banco BPM and Banca IMI as mandated lead arrangers and UBI Banca) with the extension of the right to use the 5G band granted to Linkem, worth €70m.
Grimaldi Studio Legale's European, antitrust and administrative law department is headed by Francesco Sciaudone, who represents clients before Italian and European courts and has experience of the infrastructure, transport, energy, public procurement and regulated sectors. The team also includes Sergio Massimiliano Sambri, who has expertise in privatisations and structured finance, as well as the banking, insurance, environment and urban planning sectors. Daniela Fioretti is a key name for EU and competition law, and also has additional experience in the transport and logistics sectors.
Nctm Studio Legale has expertise in regulatory and public law areas including public procurement, competition, concessions, infrastructure, public utilities, environmental law and zoning plans. Recent highlights include acting for APM Terminals Vado Ligure on its project to construct what would be one of the largest container storage facilities in Europe. Other key sectors are transport, where it acts for Italo - NTV, and energy, where Snam Rete Gas is a client. The team works closely with the firm's real estate and M&A departments. Giuliano Berruti heads the team.
‘It has the capacity to go deep into details without losing concreteness.’
Italo – NTV
Snam Rete Gas
Fresenius Kabi Italia
Università degli Studi di Milano
- Assisting APM Terminals Vado Ligure with a public project financing aimed at the construction of a new terminal container in the area of Vado Ligure worth €460m.
- Representing Linde Medicale in a judicial procedure before the administrative court concerning a public tender procedure for the awarding of public supply contract worth €7m.
- Assisting Italo – NTV before the administrative courts and the regulatory authority concerning a concession worth over €1bn.
Nico Moravia heads the administrative law department at Pavia e Ansaldo, while the environmental law department is jointly headed by Matteo Benozzo and Francesco Bruno. The practice, which is praised for its 'problem-solving attitude', has seen an increase in public tenders, which now make up 50% of its workload; it is frequently involved in drafting documents relating to tenders, where it has experience acting for parties on both sides. Highlights included advising the Port Authority of Ravenna on public procurement issues concerning the largest ongoing redevelopment of a European port.
Nico Moravia; Matteo Benozzo; Francesco Bruno
‘The Pavia e Ansaldo Administrative and Public law team is one of the most competent teams you can find on the market in this legal field. The strongest characteristics of this team are its problem solving attitude and its capacity always to make the strongest of efforts in order to achieve the goal.’
‘Marco Giustianiani is a passionate and talented lawyer. In spite of his young age (under-40), he has that professionalism and experience which is rare to find in others. His most significant professional trait lies in his capacity to identify the one legal solution which precisely suits the need and will of the client. He really cares about his clients and gives them brilliant advice, which is a result of a deep and accurate study of the particular case.’
Autorità di Sistema Portuale del Mare Adriatico Centro-Settentrionale
Aeroporti di Roma
Accord Healthcare Italia
- Advising Metroweb and Open Fiber on the administrative law aspects of their development of critical Italian telecoms infrastructure.
- Representing Taxiblu and Autoradiotassì in a successful administrative appeal.
- Advising the Italian state broadcaster RAI on the public law elements of the relocation of its Rome and Milan headquarters.
BIP - Belvedere Inzaghi & Partners
Based in Milan, BIP - Belvedere Inzaghi & Partners' administrative and public law practice focuses predominantly on advising clients engaged in the real estate industry on all stages of commercial and urban renewal projects and high-value acquisitions. Alongside this core offering, the team also has experience in public-private partnership initiatives and public procedures arising from project tenders. Highly active co-founding partner Guido Alberto Inzaghi specialises in planning, environmental and public partnership law and Antonio Belvedere is known for his strong track record advising clients on major real estate projects across the country. Several lawyers joined the firm in 2019, including senior associate Carolina Romanelli.
Antonio Belvedere; Guido Alberto Inzaghi
CDP Cassa Depositi E Prestiti
Eurocommercial Properties Italia S.r.l.
Finint Investment SGR S.p.A.
Savills Investment Management SGR S.p.A
- Assisted Coima SGR with an urban regeneration project in Milan, known as ‘Cosmo Como Place’.
- Advised Eurocommercial Properties Italia, a group of real estate investors based in Belgium, France, Italy and Sweden, on a portfolio of more than 28 trade centers across Milan and Bergamo.
- Assisted Hines with its commercial lease of a well-known historic building in Piazza Cordusio, Milan, to global retail chain Uniqlo.
CMS has particular expertise acting for companies in the energy, infrastructure and life sciences industries during administrative proceedings in relation to public procurement procedures. Pietro Cavasola has a wealth of experience in public law, including advising on tender proceedings, procurement, concessions and administrative matters, which she handles in various sectors. Recently, Pietro successfully represented Italiana Petroli and Raffineria di Roma in an appeal proceeding before the President of the Italian Republic seeking to reverse the Fiumicino Port Authority's decision to double the harbour surchage applied to goods leaving from and returning to the port.
TotalErg (now Italiana petroli)
Conduent Business Solutions Italia S.p.A.
Synlab Holding Italy
Raffineria di Roma
Corriere dello Sport
- Acted for Total E&P Italia in litigation procedures concerning expropriations before the Administrative Courts with respect to the Tempa Rossa Project (major oil exploitation concession in Italy and major onshore oil exploitation concession in Europe), and other administrative matters related to the implementation of the project and the transportation of crude oil to the refinery.
- Representing AMA (owned by the Municipality of Rome and dealing with waste disposal) in several administrative proceedings (before administrative courts, TAR and Consiglio di Stato) arising from public call for tenders launched by AMA.
- Acting for Totalerg in administrative proceedings before the Anac (Italian independent authority supervising public contracts) arising from an alleged “false declaration” rendered during a call for tender procedure issued by Consip.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle
With offices in Milan and Rome, Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle's administrative and public law department represents clients in pre-judicial and judicial phases of administrative proceedings. Led by Francesco Caccioppoli, the team primarily assists clients in the transportation and engineering sectors, however it also has experience of handling disputes related to the construction, telecoms and financial services sectors.
‘The firm stands out for its ability to handle highly specialised situations thanks to its broad expertise.‘
‘Francesco Caccioppoli has extensive experience and an excellent expertise in administrative and public law. He is effectively assisting the company with complex issues.‘
Rete Ferroviaria Italiana
Società Edilizia Nuova
NTT Data Italia
- Assisted Ferrovie dello Stato companies with the execution of the general planning agreement for the urban regeneration of Areale in Bozen, Italy.
- Provided legal assistance to Leonardo S.p.A. regarding public contracts law issues.
- Acted for Società Edilizia Nuova on the negotiation for a public law convention regulating hundreds of apartments.
With capabilities in administrative, civil and business, and labour and employment law, Enrico Follieri & Associati Studio Legale acts for private and public entities in judicial and non-judicial administrative proceedings. The team works closely with financial advisers, providing cross-practice advice on many of its cases, typically for clients in the renewables and transportation sectors. Enrico Follieri leads the practice.
Interporto Regionale della Puglia
Holding Fortore Energia
Confcommercio Imprese per l’Italia
Casa di Cura Regina
- Appointed by Fonderie Pisano to challenge the revocation of the integrated environmental authorisation (IEA), issued by Campania Region.
- Appointed by an ICT company, a state-funded foundation for research and development, and a state university, to challenge the exclusions of four applied industrial research programmes from the public tender for the allocation of public funds.
- Appointed by Fortore Energia to avoid the loss of control of a public-private company and to challenge the case both under administrative and corporate law.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi has experience of a range of areas including energy, environmental law, public services and procurement, public transport, and aviation law. The firm frequently handles litigation concerning administrative and civil matters, with particular focus on incentive schemes for power plants. The practice is jointly led by Francesco Piron and Giannalberto Mazzei. Antonio Colavecchio joined in 2019 as of counsel.
Francesco Piron; Giannalberto Mazzei
Hera Group S.P.A
Services Unindustria Multiutilities S.P.A
Airport Marketing Services Limited
Autolinee Toscane (RATP Group)
- Assisted Hera Group with CIP6 and green certificates due to measures being implemented on waste-to-energy plants.
- Assisting Caviro Extra with the acquisition of a plant for the production of biomethane, as well as representing the client before the Administrative Court (Tar Lazio) regarding the allocation of the specific incentive schemes.
- Representing Services Unindustria Multiutilities and others in the prescriptive/sanctioning proceedings initiated by Arera before the Regional Administrative Court.
With a strong focus on the energy and infrastructure sector, the 'very trustworthy' team at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe handles a range of public matters including public procurement, public contracts and regulatory support. Francesca Isgrò leads the practice, which stands out for its 'competence' in the space; her expertise also extends to banking and finance.
‘The firm is always attentive and available to its clients‘
‘Francesca Isgrò’s approach is extremely pragmatic and never didactic, despite her extremely high profile.’
Pagano & Ascolillo
S.p.A. 1 year
Fondo Italiano per l’Efficienza
S.p.A. 2 years
- Advised on the first public lighting greenfield project bond in Italy listed on the ExtraMOT PRO.
- Acted for WRM Group on the administrative law aspects of a first-of-its-kind securitisation of performing and non-performing energy credits.
- Represented Safety 21 in obtaining a favourable judgment before the Council of State.
The team at Pedersoli Studio Legale advises private and public clients on a range of matters relating to energy, pharmaceutical, electronic communications, and environmental law. Practice head Sergio Fienga has experience of leading disputes before administrative and civil courts, and has expertise in public procurement, concessions, town planning regulations and administrative procedures.
Gruppo SAVE Aeroporti
EF Solare Italia
Gestore dei Servizi Energetici G.S.E.
Lagardere Travel Retail Italia
Inwit – Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane S.p.A.
Talesun Energy Solutions
IDeA Taste of Italy
AEER – Arpinge S.p.a.
- Advised Gruppo Save S.P.A. Aeroporti Venzia on the development of projects regarding the Marco Polo International Airport in Venice.
- Acted for Infrastrutture Wireless Italiane S.p.A. on negotiating and signing a framework agreement with Tim and Vodafone Italia.
- Advised Fastweb S.p.A. on monitoring the 5G line within several Italian municipalities.
SZA Studio Legale
Danilo Tassan Mazzocco and Luca Guffanti lead the administrative law and public utilities team at SZA Studio Legale. Notable for its work advising public administrations and utility companies (with an emphasis on water, gas, transportation and telecoms), the group covers areas including: public tenders, joint ventures, public/private partnerships and public services. It is particularly known for its work in regional administrative tribunals.
Danilo Tassan Mazzocco; Luca Guffanti
‘SZA has complete knowledge of administrative law. ‘
‘They have a good mix of different specialties in various areas of legal concern.‘
‘Mr. Danilo Tassan Mazzocco has full knowledge of the procurement code and understands appeals to administrative courts. He is an excellent interlocutor for opinions thanks to his ability to understand business needs.‘
‘Danilo Tassan Mazzocco and Luca Guffanti cover a number of administrative areas with good results.‘
Milano Tangenziali S.p.A.
Città di Torino
Comune di Lonigo
Lario Reti Holding S.p.A.
Società Ferrovie Udine
Nuove Acque S.p.A.
Acque Toscane S.p.A.
Suez Italia S.p.A.
Provincia di Cremona
Gelsia Ambiente S.r.l.
Suez Trattamento Acque
CAP Holding S.p.A.
Azienda Ospedaliera Papa
Comune di Firenze
Sei Toscana S.p.A.
GSE – Gestore Servizi
- Assisting TEB S.p.A. as manager of the T1 tramway that links Bergamo and Albino.
- Assisting a client with the integration of gas and electricity marketing activities following a merger.
- Advising Asset Puglia on the preparation of tender schemes that will be adopted by a number of local authorities.
Tonucci & Partners
Tonucci & Partners is active for various public administrative bodies, but is also experienced in handling matters for private companies in the field of administrative law. The firm has a presence in energy, environment, waste, and real estate. Key areas of work include tender procedures and public contracts. Francesco Angelini, Luca Spaziani and litigator Alberto Fantini are the names to note.
Led by transportation law expert Stefano Zunarelli, the administrative and public law team at Zunarelli – Studio Legale Associato advises on a number of administrative and fulfilment issues. In particular, it is noted for drafting or appealing calls for tender and safeguarding client interests before regional courts and the Consiglio di Stato. Banks, insurance firms and shipping companies are key clients.
‘Prof. Stefano Zunarelli is one of the undisputed authorities in Italy when dealing with Commercial, Maritime and Shipping law.’
Confitarma (Italian Ship Owners Confederation)
Aeroporto G. Marconi di Bologna (SAB) S.p.A.
Autorità Portuale di Venezia (Venice Port Authority)
F2I FONDI ITALIANI PER LE INFRASTRUTTURE SGR
Interporto Bologna S.p.A.
Friuli Venezia Giulia Region
Port Authority of Trieste
- Assisted F2i Fondi Italiani per le Infrastrutture Sgr with the acquisition of shares in Porto di Carrara s.p.a.
- Acted for Regione Friuli Venezia Giulia before the Regional First Instance and Supreme Administrative Courts in a case concerning the correctness of a tendering procedure.
- Represented Comune di Parma and Provincia di Parma before the Regional First Instance and Supreme Administrative Courts in a case concerning the correctness of a tendering procedure.