Employment in Isle Of Man
Appleby’s employment practice handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious mandates from a client base including international financial institutions, local businesses and government departments. Practice head Caren Pegg saw a steady flow of employment issues related to mergers and acquisitions and restructurings, as well as unfair dismissal and discrimination claims, complex exits, settlement agreements and data protection issues. Senior associates Mark Emery and Keira Gore further enhance the employment dispute offering, while associate Emily Ashe leads on immigration matters.
Adorn Domiciliary Care
Isle of Man Government (various departments)
Attorney General’s Chambers
Quilter (Previously Old Mutual)
Heron & Brearley
- Acting for life assurance company RL360 in corporate hacking allegations brought against a former employee.
- Instructed by the Public Services Commission in relation to ongoing litigation forwarded by a former employee concerning severance entitlements.
- Advised on the employment aspects of Santander’s multi-jurisdictional restructuring in Jersey and the Isle of Man to comply with UK ring-fencing requirements.
- Defended Adorn Domiciliary Care in a number of constructive dismissal claims brought by former employees.
- Delivered bespoke Equality Act training for Quilter’s entire Isle of Man workforce.
DQ’s employment practice regularly acts for both employees and employers from sectors including financial services, gambling and public services on disputes concerning unfair dismissal, misconduct and breach of contract claims. The non-contentious offering includes providing advice on employment and immigration issues arising from corporate transactions, Equality Act compliance and the drafting of compromise agreements and general employment contracts. Leanne McKeown and Tara Cubbon, who both handle the full range of matters, are the main points of contact.
Leanne McKeown; Giles Hill
Other key lawyers:
‘We instruct DQ to support us with employment matters on the Isle of Man, including settlement agreements and terminations – the team is responsive and commercial.’
‘Leanne McKeown is very helpful.’
‘They are prepared to buy in to our approach; I would use them again. They are our first port of call.’
Manx Industrial Relations Service
British Medical Association
- Acted for the Manx Industrial Relations Service as intervenor in RL360 v Graham Smith in the Isle of Man Employment Tribunal.
- Providing ongoing employment and HR support to Standard Bank Offshore Group
- Successfully obtained an injunction for The British Medical Association (on behalf of member Dr Khan) to prevent the Department of Health and Social Care from continuing to exclude a consultant from his duties.
M&P Legal acts for both employees and employers on high-level executive departures as well as major employment settlements and tribunal cases, with non-contentious work including employment contract reviews and Equality Act compliance. The firm acts for banks, accounting firms, retailers and hospitality companies, among others.
The team at Cains handles the full range of employment issues including contract drafting and review, Equality Act compliance, high-level disputes with employees (including compromise agreements, data breaches and misconduct) and employee benefits advice arising from corporate transactions. The client list largely comprises leading international financial institutions, and the team regularly fields referral work from leading UK law firms. Commercial litigator Robert Colquitt leads on contentious matters, and associate Adam Clark has expertise on matters including data protection.
Robert Colquitt; Adam Clark
‘Very personal and efficient service with great attention to detail‘
The team at Keystone Law, led by Gillian Christian, recently advised on the employment aspects of a number of significant business entrances to the Isle of Man, handling work permits, employment contracts, handbook policy reviews and incentive and share plans. Rachel Berry assists Christian on contentious matters for trust companies, corporate service providers, hospitality businesses and retailers for mandates including constructive dismissal claims, data protection issues, disciplinary procedures and discrimination claims.
Other key lawyers:
Jacksons (Isle of Man) 2015
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants
- Advised car dealer Jacksons on staff contracts and obligations concerning the establishment of a significant new car retail outlet on the island.
- Advising Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants on all legal matters in relation to the opening of a new Premier Inn on the Isle of Man.
Long & Humphrey
Long & Humphrey acts for a number of major local clients, both public and private, providing them with ongoing employment advice including contract and policy drafting, Equality Act advice and assistance navigating the Isle of Man's work permit system. On the contentious side, Oliver Helfrich and Rob Long represent both employers and employees in employment proceedings in the High Court and Employment Tribunal, including breach of contract, unfair dismissal and restrictive covenant claims.
Other key lawyers:
Isle of Man Enterprises
Peel Town Commissioners
Azure Aero Services
Regent Dental Care
- Instructed by a former employee of a corporate service provider, to defend a breach of contact claim in the High Court.
- Ongoing advice to the Isle of Man Enterprises’ subsidiaries (including top-five Manx employer Shoprite) concerning data protection, Equality Act compliance, redundancy and unfair dismissal claims and internal disciplinary proceedings.
Simcocks' employment practice handles a number of constructive dismissal claims, as well as advising on the drafting of contracts, remuneration and severance packages. Corporate and commercial law practitioner Irini Newby regularly advises on the employment elements of corporate transactions. Clients range from local construction, health care and property businesses to international financial institutions. Associate Winston Taylor is able to provide advice on immigration law and work permits.
- Drafting contracts for new employees and advising on the work permits application process on behalf of construction materials supplier Island Aggregates.