ABNR Counsellors at Law advises domestic and multinational telecoms, technology and software companies on a broad range of matters from intellectual property and M&A, to regulatory and foreign direct investment matters. Senior partner Agus Ahadi Deradjat has a strong M&A, foreign direct investment and TMT practice with an emphasis on the technology, telecoms and e-commerce sectors. Kevin Sidharta is also experienced in the TMT space and specialises in restructuring and insolvency.
Firms in the Spotlight IT, Telecoms and Fintech
Makes & Partners
Makes & Partners is an independent, innovative and creative Indonesian law firm and a leader in the Indonesian corporate finance and corporate commercial legal services market. The firm promotes the commercial interests of clients by providing high-quality legal services to Indonesian and international clients.View Profile...
IT, Telecoms and Fintech in Indonesia
Agus Ahadi Deradjat
Other key lawyers:
‘Agus Ahadi Deradjat is my go-to lawyer for anything TMT and data related in Indonesia.’
‘Flexible with fee arrangements, and able to deliver on client’s expectations and timelines which can sometimes be ambitious/demanding.’
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has a full-service practice that covers digital technology, cyber security, telecoms, fintech, investments and M&A. The firm's TMT offering is led by Zacky Zainal Husein who has a broad range of expertise that includes fintech, OTT services, data storage, telecoms and cloud computing. Indira Yustikania focuses on fintech and is a banking and finance specialist with experience advising a wide variety of investors and fintech companies. M&A expert Bono Daru Adji is another key contact.
Zacky Zainal Husein; Indira Yustikania
Other key lawyers:
Bono Daru Adji
PT Fintek Karya Nusantara
PT XL Axiata Tbk
PT Genomik Solidaritas Indonesia (GSI Lab)
- Assisted PT Genomik Solidaritas Indonesia with establishing and operating a RT-PCR (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction) laboratory to detect and conduct testing of Covid-19 in Indonesia.
- Acted as the Indonesian legal counsel to Gojek, Indonesia’s first decacorn, in the merger with PT Tokopedia, one of Indonesian largest and most recognised unicorns, formed GoTo Group.
- Advised PT Satelit Nusantara Tiga in Indonesia’s First Multifunctional Satellite Project worth $1.5bn called Satellite of Republic of Indonesia (SATRIA).
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) has an experienced IT and telecoms team with significant experience advising digital and technology companies on data protection and security, encryption, e-commerce, over-the-top services and fintech matters. Founding partner Enrico Iskandar heads the practice and has a strong advisory and contentious practice, that also covers regulatory and compliance. Debu Batara Lubis is also noted and has an experienced corporate, M&A, banking and finance practice.
Enrico Iskandar; Debu Batara Lubis
‘We work with Enrico and his team on blockchain and cryptocurrency matters in Indonesia. The team is efficient, knowledgeable, and solid communicators.’
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy has an active presence in the M&A, equity capital markets and joint venture space in the TMT sector. Fintech is a key area of focus for the firm and the team advises clients on payments, online lending and equity crowdfunding issues. Harun Reksodiputro and Sugianto Osman jointly head the practice.
Harun Reksodiputro; Sugianto Osman
PT Bumi Cakrawala Perkasa
Sequoia Capital Advisors Pte Ltd
GOJEK (PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa)
PT Astra International Tbk
PT Polinasi Iddea Investama (Halodoc)
PT Akseleran Keuangan Inklusif Indonesia (Akseleran)
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie advises telecoms equipment and software suppliers on acquisitions, joint ventures and collaborations, privacy, regulatory and compliance issues. E-commerce has been a growing area of focus for the practice and the firm has an active presence in this space. Daniel Pardede is a key point of contact and has strong IT and telecoms expertise, particularly in the areas of M&A, investment and regulatory. Iqbal Darmawan is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘HHP Law Firm has been impressive in advising on various topical issues surrounding online platforms and in the technology sector. HHP Law Firm’s turnaround time and sound yet practical advice are key. Also, the team members complement each other and form a rock solid team to support clients.’
PT Astra International Tbk
Unilever Swiss Holdings AG
PT Unilever Enterprises Indonesia
Hoolah Holdings Pte. Ltd.
- Advised Grab on its investment into electronic payment company Linkaja.
- Advised PT Astra Digital Internasional, a subsidiary of PT Astra International Tbk (Astra), on its investment in Indonesia’s largest healthtech platform Halodoc.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has a skilled IT and telecoms team that excels at advising clients on transactional matters that involve joint ventures, investments and outsourcings. The firm also has a strong fintech offering that covers digital banking, cryptocurrency and virtual tokens, cybersecurity and payment services. Sakurayuki heads the TMT practice and Vik Tang focuses on joint ventures and foreign investment transactions, particularly in the fintech and TMT sectors.
Sakurayuki; Vik Tang
‘Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung regularly schedule webinar and Q&A sessions inviting all their clients/potential clients to participate in the talks. They also regularly inform their clients of any laws/regulations updates through e-mail and website.’
‘Partner Sakurayuki never fails to mitigate a complex legal matter by proposing her ‘strike out’ trouble-shoot and she masters in TMT and M&A. Her leadership is also notably in ensuring the overall project to reach the optimum on quality, time and cost.’
Taobao China Holding Limited (Alibaba Group)
PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel)
PT Indosat Tbk (Indosat)
PT Smartfren Telecom Tbk
PT. Fintek Karya Nusantara (LinkAja)
Tiger Global Management
PT Inti Bangun Sejahtera Tbk (IBS)
PT Metra Digital Investama (MDI)
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised Telkomsel on the sale and lease back of 6,050 of Telkomsel’s telecom towers to PT Dayamitra Telekomunikasi (Mitratel), a subsidiary of state-owned Telkom Indonesia.
- Advising Grab Financial in various business expansion initiatives in Indonesia relating to insure-tech; and Grab Holdings on 1) the proposed merger of its business with GoJek and 2) Grab’s strategic investment into PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi (Emtek).
- Advising PT. Fintek Karya Nusantara (LinkAja) on various complex matters relating to the potential $200m Series B investment funding round from key regional financial and strategic investors, including Gojek and Grab.
SSEK Legal Consultants assists multinationals and startups on regulatory and licensing issues when entering the fintech market, as well as subsequent advice on operational matters. E-payments, cryptocurrency and blockchain are key areas of focus for the firm. Corporate and M&A specialists Michael S Carl and Fahrul S Yusuf head the practice.
Fahrul S. Yusuf; Michael S. Carl
‘SSEK provide fantastic support even in challenging times. Outstanding responsiveness, commercial advice and industry insight.’
‘The SSEK team led by Michael Scott Carl has deep expertise in executing Indonesian transactions on behalf of international clients and, unlike many other Indonesian firms, is extremely responsive.’
‘Michael Scott Carl – he has built a very strong team of capable Indonesian associates who are capable of executing complex transactions in an efficient and responsive way.’
‘The team is strong with their knowledge and detailed with their work.’
‘Fahrul S. Yusuf and his team has been exceptional with their commitment and support to our needs.’
Princeton Digital Group
Softbank Vision Fund
KEB Hana Bank
- Advised Binance on the acquisition of the Indonesian cryptoasset exchange platform PT Toko Crypto Indonesia Berkat, in an indirect acquisition.
- Acted for Singapore-based Princeton Digital Group (PDG) in the sale of a strategic stake in its data centers business, including data centers in Indonesia.
- Advising Upbit, the South Korean cryptocurrency exchange, on its operations in Indonesia.
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners showcases in-depth knowledge and expertise in the telecoms and digital infrastructure sectors, with experience assisting clients with commercial contracting involving tower lease agreements, master services agreements and IT infrastructure agreements. The practice is also involved in the emerging technology markets including fintech, insurtech and transportation tech. Yolanda Hutapea has substantial experience in the TMT sector. Karen Phang is also noted and specialises in M&A, joint ventures and strategic collaborations in the telecoms and financial services sectors.
Yolanda Hutapea; Karen Phang
Women’s World Banking
Walt Disney Company South East Asia
- Advised EdgePoint Infrastructure in its $750m sale-and-leaseback acquisition of more than 4,200 telecom towers from PT Indosat Tbk (Indosat Ooredoo), one Indonesia’s leading digital telecoms providers.
- Advised NAVER on its investment through a private placement conducted by EMTEK, one of the largest media conglomerates in Indonesia.
- Assisted The Walt Disney Company South East Asia Pte Ltd (“Disney”) on the preparation of the launch of its Disney+ Hotstar platform in Indonesia.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners has a strong presence in the Indonesian fintech market and represents a broad range of venture technology clients. The practice is led by Erwin Kurnia Winenda who has substantial corporate experience, with particular expertise advising fintech, e-commerce and other venture technology clients on entering the technology and telecoms market.
Andre Rahadian; Erwin Kurnia Winenda
‘We mainly consulted Dentons HPRP about the problems encountered in daily business activities of our local subsidiaries, and reviewing of documents, which all get good advices.’
‘Dentons HPRP has helped us to settle the dispute with the client of us, and reduce our loss through their profession and hard work.’
Amazon Web Services / PT Amazon Data Services
Accial Capital Management LLC
Guangxi Liugong Machinery Co., Ltd
- Assisting Amazon Web Services with increasing the electricity supply from 7,000kVA to 13,850kVA for its operations in Indonesia.
- Assisting Accial Capital Management LLC in providing debt funding to 3 venture technology companies in Indonesia: Investree, Pintek and AwanTunai.
- Advising Guangxi Liugong Machinery Co., Ltd on collecting and transmitting data to be stored in a server in Frankfurt.
K&K Advocates has a broad TMT offering that includes advisory and compliance services for issues concerning personal data protection, OTT services, fintech, telecoms and e-commerce. Practice head Danny Kobrata has extensive experience advising clients in the TMT sector on privacy, e-commerce, advertising and telecoms-related law.
Other key lawyers:
PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia
The Trade Desk
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
PT Hino Motors Sales Indonesia
PT Enseval Medika Prima
PT Vidio Dot Com
Equinix Services Ltd
- Advised PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia on privacy issues in relation to the COVID-19 contact tracing app PeduliLindungi.
- Advised The Trade Desk on the use of health data in online advertising and Reviewing Publisher Proof of Concept Agreement of UID2 Technology.
- Assisted Tencent with reviewing its data protection addendum for 58.com.
Makarim & Taira S. has individuals with extensive experience in the areas of fintech, e-commerce and over-the-top streaming services. Hilton King is one of these individuals who has an experienced investments and M&A practice. Maria Sagrado is another key name to note and has a particular interest in peer-to-peer lending platforms.
Maria Sagrado; Hilton King
PT Jingdong Indonesia Pertama (JDID Indonesia)
Sampoerna Strategic Group
- Advised PT Sampoerna Telekomunikasi Indonesia on an enhanced loan refinancing and recapitalization enabling 4G wireless network and site relocation.
- Assisted PT Jingdong Indonesia Pertama (JDID Indonesia) with a potential dispute with the company’s lessor in relation to office space lease.
Rajamada & Partners showcases expertise in complex areas of technology law and receives mandates that involve artificial intelligence, facial recognition technology and cybersecurity. The practice is led by founding partner Mada Silalahi who has extensive experience advising IT and software clients.
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions
UMBRA – Strategic Legal Solutions has a broad client offering and handles the full range of telecoms and technology, from satellite systems and data centres, to media and broadcasting. Banking and finance specialist Putu Raditya Nugraha has a strong interest in the fintech and digital industry. Other key names to note includes managing partner Pramudya Oktavinanda and Ahmad Zakaria, who focuses his practice on capital markets and state-owned entities.
Pramudya Oktavinanda; Ahmad Zakaria; Putu Raditya Nugraha
PT Telkom Indonesia (Persero) Tbk
PT Telekomunikasi Seluler
PT Dayamitra Telekomunikasi
PT Jalin Pembayaran Nusantara
Dataxet Pte. Ltd
Equinix Pte. Ltd.
Hewlett Packard Indonesia
Roove Tijara Indonesia
Aivita Biomedical Inc
- Advising PT Dayamitra Telekomunikasi (Mitratel) on its Rp10.3 trillion sale & leaseback transaction of 6,050 telecommunication towers of PT Telekomunikasi Selular.
- Advising PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel) on its $450m strategic investment in PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa (Gojek).
- Advising PT Metra Digital Investama as the leading investor in the $65.5m Series B investment in Tanihub Pte Ltd (Tanihub), a leading agritech company.