ABNR Counsellors at Law is a popular choice for major US and Chinese tech companies for advising on their operations in Indonesia, with a particular focus on social media, fintech, gaming, data privacy and telecoms infrastructure. Senior partner Agus Ahadi Deradjat leads the team and has advised major social media companies on their investments and regulatory compliance. Meanwhile Kevin Sidharta has been focusing on non-disclosure agreements and privacy policies for major technology companies, we well as licensing work for their telecommunications network in Indonesia.
Firms in the Spotlight IT, Telecoms and Fintech
Makes & Partners
Makes & Partners is an independent, innovative and creative Indonesian law firm and a leader in the Indonesian corporate finance and corporate commercial legal services market. The firm promotes the commercial interests of clients by providing high-quality legal services to Indonesian and international clients.View Profile...
IT, Telecoms and Fintech in Indonesia
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a global social media company its with its recent investment in an Indonesian ride-hailing, food delivery and payments super-app Go-Jek.
- Advising a Chinese multinational internet technology company on a wide range of issues in Indonesia, including OTT services, online games, data privacy and manpower issues
- Advising a Chinese internet entertainment company on various Indonesian law matters, including data privacy, promotions and fintech issues across the company’s many apps.
Advising international and local technology companies, Assegaf Hamzah & Partners’ has been active in advising on corporate, commercial and regulatory work, especially in areas such as fintech, OTT services, data storage, telecoms and cloud computing. Zacky Zainal Hussein leads the TMT practice and focuses on the aforementioned areas, bringing a unique insight due to his former role as Head of Legal of local telecoms provider Indosat. Additionally M&A partner Bono Daru Adji has been regularly instructed by local tech giant Gojek on their corporate transactions.
- Advised Gojek on its joint venture with Astra International.
- Advised Danareksa Capital on its investment into PT Fintek Karya Nusantara, the operator of digital transaction platform LinkAja!.
- Advised General Atlantic and GGV Capital General Atlantic on their investment into Ruangguru, an online education platform in Indonesia.
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) has advised household names such as Whatsapp and Microsoft and as an independent firm often works alongside international firms such as CMS and Charles Russell Speechlys LLP. Key areas of interest include fintech, online media, ‘internet-of-things’ and cybersecurity. Enrico Iskandar and Debu Batara Lubis lead the practice and together assisted Credolab with becoming the first credit scoring fintech company in Indonesia.
- Acting as Indonesian counsel for advising the implementation of WhatsApp’s new products andservices for Indonesian market.
- Assisting the app Cookpad on regulatory compliance and IP issues.
- Assisting CredoLab on structuring its ownership and operation of the first credit scoring fintech company in Indonesia.
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy has consistently been involved in major deals in the fintech and e-commerce, and is also prevalent in growing markets such as healthtech and agritech. The team advises some of the leading companies in the Indonesian technology market such as Gojek and Tokopedia. A recent highlight was advising the local digital payments company Ovo on its majority stake purchase of the online investment platform Bareksa. Sugianto Osman and Harun Reksodiputro are the two key names of note.
PT Bumi Cakrawala Perkasa, the owner of OVO
Sequoia Capital Advisors Pte Ltd
GOJEK (PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa)
PT Astra International Tbk
PT Polinasi Iddea Investama (Halodoc)
PT Akseleran Keuangan Inklusif Indonesia (Akseleran)
- Advised Bumi Cakrawala Perkasa on its acquisition of majority shares in Bareksa, a mutual fund online marketplace
- Advised e-commerce company Tokopedia on its latest fundraising round led by Softbank Vision Fund andAlibaba Group.
- Advised GOJEK, the largest provider of mobile on-demand and payment facilities in Southeast Asia , on its fundraising from Google, JD.com and Tencent,
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has been instructed by major technology companies in the domestic market as well as globally recognised names. The team has been particularly active in areas such as cloud computing, internet-of-things, digital media and fintech services. Recent instructions of note include advising the local unicorn company Traveloka on its latest round of fundraising. Practice head Daniel Pardede is adept in handling corporate transactions as well as general commercial issues. Former practice head Mark Innis has joined Baker McKenzie in Hong Kong.
- We assisted Traveloka in a compliance due diligence of all of its entities in and outside Indonesia, in preparation for a new round of fundraising for which we are also advising
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills’ standout strength is advising on telecoms infrastructure projects such as data centres, telecoms towers and fibre optic cable systems. The team is also a key player in the fintech and e-commerce space, primarily involving online payments, as well as investment platforms and peer-to-peer lending platforms. The team is led by telecoms specialist Sakurayuki leads the practice alongside the tech-focused corporate partners Vik Tang.
‘Excellent knowledge of Indonesian laws, concise response, prompt response.’
‘The quality and promptness of the advice and response and always willing to go the extra mile to provide advice even outside of the agreed fee quote.’
Facebook (Jumla Networks Asia Pte. Ltd.)
Nium (previously InstaReM)
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised Ant Financial subsidiary API Investment Limited in its Series F investment in Indonesian online marketplace Bukalapak.
- Advised leading Indonesian telecoms operator Indosat on sale of 3,100 telecommunications towers to Protelindo and Mitratel.
- Advised Keppel on a greenfield data centre development near Jakarta with its local joint venture partner.
K&K Advocates is particularly known for work involving data protection and privacy, but also highly killed in digital media over-the-top services, e-commerce and fintech. Justisiari Kusumah’s background is in intellectual property, and as such is highly skilled in overlapping areas such as data protection as well as advertising and copyright associated with digital media and software.
Tencent Holdings Limited
Fidelity National Information Services, Inc.
Arm Treasure Data
Transaction Network Service
The Trade Desk
Konami Holdings Corporation
Ernst & Young
- Advising Tencent on negotiation relating to data transfer agreements with third party vendor.
- Advising TNS on the payment system and telecommunication matters and guiding TNS with its investment plan in Indonesia
- Advising FIFA with digital marketing and advertisement matters.
A leading independent firm, SSEK Legal Consultants has been supporting major Chinese and Japanese investors with their interests in Indonesia’s fintech and e-commerce sectors, counting tech giants Softbank and Alibaba as key clients. The team is jointly led by Michael Carl, who is an expert in corporate finance and M&A. His work in the fintech space has been especially involved in peer-to-peer lending platforms. Fellow practice head Fahrul Yusuf has a similar focus on corporate transactions, with a particular emphasis on digital currency and digital currency platforms.
‘The team led by Mike Scott Carl has real strength and depth and manages to combine a detailed knowledge of technical legal issues with a commercial approach.’
‘Mike Scott Carl has been based in Indonesia for many years and understands the needs of multinational clients and has a very commercial approach.’
Softbank Vision Fund
Qingsongchou Network Technology Co., Ltd (QSC)
Raiz Invest Limited
- Acted as Indonesian counsel to SoftBank Vision Fund in relation to its investment in Tokopedia.
- Assisted the Indonesian subsidiary of Ping An Puhui in obtaining a peer-to-peer lending registration license and assists it with various corporate and legal matters related to its commercial operations.
- Assists Xiaomi Corporation with its investments and operations in Indonesia.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners has been very active in the fintech market, advising both local fintech companies and overseas investors. Founding partner Andre Rahadian leads the practice and has broad capabilities in technology and financial services, making him well placed to assist fintech and e-commerce companies. He is supported by Erwin Kurnia Winenda whose standout strength is in peer-to-peer lending platforms.
Amazon Web Service
PT Instarem Mitra Indonesia / Nium Pte. Ltd
Accial Capital Management LLC
- Assisted Amazon Web Services in reviewing, negotiating, furnishing and executing contracts for supplying electricity.
- Assisted Tokopedia in the establishment of a subsidiary.
- Assisted Nium in establishing an Indonesian company as a subsidiary of the client, PT Instarem Mitra Indonesia
Makarim & Taira S. ' skillset within this space covers advising on the corporate and regulatory issues behind fintech, e-commerce and over-the-top streaming services. Leading the practice is Maria Sagrado whose expertise is particularly noteworthy given she was involved in the drafting process of the first Financial Services Authority regulation on Fintech. At present, she is currently very active in advising on peer-to-peer lending platforms.
HBO Pacific Partners, V.O.F.
PT Sampoerna Strategic (shareholder of PT Sampoerna Telekomunikasi Indonesia)
Although a relatively new firm to the market, Rajamada & Partners has received instructions from big tech companies in the region such as Ovo and Grab. The team has advised on complex aspects of technology law, including new areas such as artificial intelligence, facial recognition technology and cybersecurity. Founding partner Mada Silalahi leads the practice and alongside the aforementioned work is highly skilled in handling ICT contracts.
PT Visionet Internasional (OVO Indonesia)
PT Grab Teknologi Indonesia (Grab Indonesia)
- Advised PT Visionet Internasional (OVO Indonesia) in securing the protection of various forms of IT assets such as data, computer program, know how and patents.
- Represented Grab Indonesia in an IT fraud case relating to the use of Grab’s digital system.
- Represented Botech, IT company based in Turkey, on the compliance for face recognition technology and to negotiate a contract with local distribution company.
Tjajo & Partners
- Advising the online P2P lenind company Amartha Mikro Fintek on its series E shares funding round from multiple investors.
- Assisted Tencent Holdings Ltd with its acquisition of the entire shares in Iflix Indonesia.
- Acting as the legal counsel to PT Danareksa as the purchaser of 67% shares in PT Jalin Pembayaran Nusantara, held by PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia.
Widyawan & Partners
TMT is growing area focus for Widyawan & Partners, particularly in areas such as fintech, telecoms, digital media and agritech. The team consists of corporate practice head Yolanda Hutapea and foreign counsel David Holme, who advise on corporate transactions and regulatory compliance. Banking and finance Adrian Pranata is also skilled in the financing of major telecoms towers.
True Digital & Media
- Advised LINE and UOB Venture on their investment into Amartha, a P2P lending company in Indonesia.
- Advised UOB Venture on its participation in the Series A fundraising by TaniHub Group, Indonesia’s leading agri-tech company.