Firms in the Spotlight Corporate and M&A
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP’s Corporate and Commercial practice has been rapidly developed over the years and has been gaining excellent reputation by advising its clients from multinational companies, local companies, foreign embassies, etc, with exceptional satisfactory legal services in general corporate matters including: M&A, joint ventures, construction, commercial contracts, investment, restructuring, cross border investments, finance and banking, governmental …View Profile...
Corporate and M&A in Indonesia
Attracting clients from Asia, Europe, and the US, ABNR Counsellors at Law primarily advises on M&A, private equity, FDI restructurings, joint ventures, and general commercial matters. Practice head Agus Ahadi Deradjat is best known for his work in the TMT and life sciences sectors, primarily focusing on M&A and FDI work. Emir Nurmansyah handles a varied workload, mostly focusing on the technology, energy, and manufacturing industries. Foreign investors also benefit from the firm’s specialist competition practice.
- Assisting a global manufacturer in the rack-and-pinion rail vehicle industry for its collaboration with an Indonesian state-owned rolling stock manufacturer.
- Advising a social media company on Indonesian legal and regulatory issues.
- Advised a Japanese telecoms company for the transfer of majority interests in its Indonesian subsidiaries from the Japanese holding company to a UK-based entity.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners client roster contains major public and private domestic companies as well as international investors from China, Japan, and the USA, amongst other regions. Eko Basyuni leads the practice and is an expert in M&A, with additional expertise in complementary areas such as capital markets and FDI. Founding partner Fikri Assegaf is another key name, noted for his longstanding expertise in M&A, private equity, and venture capital transactions. Managing partner Bono Daru Adji is also an important figure and has been advising local tech giant GoJek on its inward and outward investment in the Fintech and e-commerce space. Another standout feature is its specialist teams in areas such as competition and tax and customs. Although not exclusively affiliated, the firm is part of the Singaporean law firm Rajah & Tann’s international network.
PT Merdeka Copper Gold Tbk. – Mining & Mineral Resources
PT Mitra Pinasthika Mustika Tbk. – Automotive
PT Provident Agro Tbk. – Agroindustry
PT Salam Pacific Indonesia Lines – Transportation
General Atlantic – Private Equity
GGV Capital – Venture Capital
Johnson Controls International Plc – Industrial
SCG Packaging Public Company Limited – Manufacturing
Toppan Leefung Pte. Ltd – Printing
CITIC Capital Partners Management Limited – Investment
Fountainvest Partners (Asia) Ltd. – Private Equity
AICE Group – F&B
ANSTEEL Group Corporation – Steel maker
Cheetah Mobile Inc. – Mobile internet
China Communications Construction Group Co., Ltd.
China Development Bank – Financial Institution
China Fortune Land Development Co. Ltd. – Real Estate
China Oilfield Service Ltd. – Oil & Gas
Dingyi Group Investment Limited – Investment
Guangdong Power Engineering Corp. – Power
Hai Di Lao – F&B
ITOCHU Techno-Solutions Corporation
Ping An Group – F
- Advised MEI and WTT as the buyer on the acquisition of PT Bank Artos Indonesia Tbk.
- Lead counsel to the SOE investors who invested into PT digital transaction platform LinkAja!
- Represented ITOCHU in its acquisition of 70% of the total issued and paid-up capital in Indonesian IT companies from the existing shareholders.
Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy
Advising domestic and international companies, Ginting & Reksodiputro in association with Allen & Overy has been a leading name in growing sectors such as insurance, consumer and technology. Founding partner Harun Reksodiputro often advises foreign investors on local deals involving M&A, joint ventures, restructurings and divestments. He also worked for local companies attracting investment such as the major digital payment platform OVO. The TMT sector has been a core focus of fellow practice head Sugianto Osman, advising Indonesia’s first decacorn company Gojek on its international backing from Google, JD.com and Tencent. The consumer sector is another area of interest, most notably acting for local coffee company Kopi Kenangan on its fundraising efforts.
PT Bumi Cakrawala Perkasa (owner of OVO)
PT Sun Life Indonesia
PT QBE General Insurance Indonesia
PT Aplikasi Anak Bangsa (Gojek)
PT Akseleran Keuangan Inklusif Indonesia (Akseleran)
Kopi Kenangan Pte Ltd
Mitr Phol Sugar Corp
- Advised PT Bumi Cakrawala Perkasa on its multiple tranche acquisition of up to 53.3% shares in Bareksa, a mutual fund marketplace.
- Advised Prosegur on its proposed acquisition in PT Wiranatu Persada Tama.
- Assisted PT QBE General Insurance Indonesia in the disposal of its 100% shares to Great Eastern Holdings.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Fielding a seven-strong partner team, Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is well placed to handle high scale corporate deals across multiple sectors, most recently advising Standard Chartered Bank and and Astra on their $2.14bn sale of Bank Permata to Bangkok Bank. Practice head Erwandi Hendarta led on that particular deal and has a unique insight into the financial services sector due to his former role as an investment banker for Bank Indonesia. Mita Djajadiredja also heads the team and is an expert in growing sectors such as e-commerce and insurance. Another practice head is Iqbal Darmawan who is best known for his work on equity capital markets but also highly skilled in M&A transactions. Former practice head Mark Innis has relocated to Baker McKenzie’s Hong Kong office and is still active on pan-Asian deals.
‘Ibu Mita Djajadiredja and Ibu Mita provide outstanding legal advice.’
‘Their extensive knowledge in corporate M&A is very helpful in protecting the company/client interests.’
Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd.
PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero)
AIA Group (Insurance)
China Life (Insurance)
Assicuraziono Generali S.p.A. (Insurance)
Prudential America USA (Insurance)
Zurich Life (Insurance)
Prudential (UK) (Insurance)
Cigna Life (Insurance)
Jardines JLT (Insurance)
Guy Carpenter (Insurance)
Liberty Mutual (Insurance)
Jardine Group (generally) (Conglomerate)
PT Rajawali Corpora (Conglomerate)
PT Astra International Tbk (Conglomerate)
FKS Group (Holding)
Asia Green Real Estate (Real estate)
OUE Limited (Real estate)
Ancora Capital (Private Equity)
Meridian Capital (Private Equity)
KV Asia Capital (Private Equity)
Northstar Advisors Pte. Ltd. (Private Equity)
PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa (GO-JEK) (Technology)
Siemens AG (Industrial)
Felda IFFO (Manufacturing)
- Acted as lead counsel to joint sellers SCB and Astra in the USD 2.14 billion sale of Bank Permata to Bangkok Bank.
- Represented Zurich Insurance Group in the acquisition, via an auction process, of an 80% stake in PT Asuransi Adira Dinamika.
- Represented BCA in completing the 100% stake purchase of PT Bank Royal Indonesia from its previous owners.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills is a popular choice for complex corporate deals, often advising on M&A transactions in heavily regulated industries such as financial services, technology, and energy. The team is also involved in cross-border mandates, as illustrated by Vik Tang’s instruction from Bank Danamon on the sale of its insurance subsidiary to Zurich which involved four different jurisdictions. Senior international counsel David Dawborn is another key name noted for his work in the financial services and energy sectors, and recently acted for Bank Permata on its $2.3bn sale to Bangkok Bank. The team also has a relatively strong technology offering, mostly down to TMT specialist partner Sakurayuki. Founding partner Iril Hiswara, whose focuses on the consumer and real estate sectors, is also recommended.
- Advised Bank Permata on its US$2.3 billion acquisition by Bangkok Bank.
- Advised Bank Danamon on the sale of a majority stake of its general insurance subsidiary,Adira Insurance, to Zurich.
- Advised Temasek on its IDR 1.7 trillion investment in PT Diamond Food, Indonesia’s largest refrigerated food and beverage distributor.
SSEK Legal Consultants is one of the standout independent firms in the region and attracts instructions from both international companies and international law firms on corporate deals. The team has a notably strong offering in Indonesia’s lucrative fintech and e-commerce sectors, often assisting global investors and private equity houses on major investments in this space. Michael Carl and Fahrul Yusuf primarily handle this part of the practice, with Carl also focusing heavily on the natural resources sector. Senior foreign counsel Michael Twomey is also heavily involved in the energy sector, whereas Ira Eddymurthy has a notably strong presence in the healthcare and pharmaceutical markets.
‘SSEK is one of a select group of Indonesian local firms capable of providing genuine international standard corporate & M&A advice.’
‘Indonesia is an extremely difficult jurisdiction to navigate and they are my go to firm of choice for handling serious matters.’
‘Michael Carl is the key individual. He is responsive, legally sophisticated and commercially savvy. He is able to distil complex and often inconsistent regulations into sensible guidance for clients.’
‘The SSEK team led by Michael Carl has real strength and depth and manages to combine technical strength with a very commercial approach.’
‘Michael Carl has a deep knowledge of advising and assisting foreign investors into Indonesia and has a very commercial outlook.’
RII Holding Sdn Bhd
Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd.
Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd.
Softbank Vision Fund
- Acted as Indonesian counsel to General Electric in connection with the acquisition by Wabtec.
- Assisting the Indonesian subsidiary of Ping An Puhui in obtaining a peer-to-peer (P2P) lendinglicense from the Indonesian Financial Services Authority, and with various corporate and legal matters related to its commercial operations.
- Acted for Gesit Companies in a transaction with MEA Commercial Holdings.
Makarim & Taira S. is one of the strongest independent firms in the areas of energy, infrastructure and manufacturing, with experience in handling domestic deals as well as working as local counsel on global transactions. Practice head Rahayu Ningsih Hoed is known for her expertise in the energy sectors, with additional strengths in project finance and employment. Maria Sagrado is a key name for the firm’s FDI work, and is currently very active in assisting Chinese and Japanese investors. Managing partner Lia Alizia is highly skilled in corporate governance and general commercial matters.
‘Contactable and prompt response.. The advice was also useful, rather than only being technical.’
‘Yohanes Masengi quickly made himself available for an initial briefing regarding our client’s requirements. They were then flexible in terms of working with this on the scope while we finalised some of the administration. This reflects our good trust and cooperation together over the many years. They then provided clear and useful advice and promptly responded to my follow up questions.’
‘The teama is very prompt and responsive and has always met our expectations.’
‘Makarim & Taira’ team has a good understanding of the issue at hand and is able to turn around their advisory opinion within the tight deadline.’
‘Lia Alizia is always reachable and Jonathan Tjenggoro is responsive and provides clear communication.’
Lotte Chemical Corp
ArcelorMittal Gonvarri Brasil Produtos Siderurgicos,S.A
Pertamina Geothermal Energy
PT Aventis Pharma
Flexicon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
PT Hyundai Machinery Indonesia
Chatham Imports, Inc.
Aeon Delight Co., Ltd.
PT Toba Bara Sejahtra Tbk
Bluestar Alliance LLC
- Assisted PolyOne Corporation with the Indonesia portion of the acquisition process and due diligence for a major acquisition in the plastic and polymer industry.
- Advised Toba Bara Group in the sale and purchase of 100% shares in PT Bayu Alam Sejahtera and certain assets related to a hybrid wind power project.
- Assisted Aeon Delight in their acquisition of 90% shares in PT Sinar Jernih Sarana.
Private equity and equity capital markets are the two standout strengths of Makes & Partners. Founding partner Yozua Makes and practice head Fransisca, S.H. assisted PE giant KKR on the Indonesia elements of its $2,2b of consumer brands from the iconic Australian snack company Arnott’s, Kimball, Country Ladle, and Campbell. Both partners are also skilled in advising on initial public offering and real estate investment trusts. Bernardus Billy, who is particularly strong in the TMT sector, is also recommended. The team also has an alliance with Singaporean law firm WongPartnership.
PT Agung Podomoro Land Tbk
Lippo Malls Indonesia Retail Trust (LMIRT) Management Ltd
PT Profesional Telekomunikasi Indonesia
Snacking Investments BidCo Pte. Ltd
Temasek Capital Management Pte. Ltd.
De Heus Animal Nutrition B.V.
REA Group Limited
PT Sinarmas Asset Management
PT Plaza Indonesia Realty Tbk
PT Indonesian Paradise Property Tbk
PT Fajar Surya Wisesa Tbk
Konecranes Global Corporation
- Advised Snacking Investments BidCo in the acquisition of the business and assets under certain brands and sub-brands of Arnott’s, Kimball, Country Ladle.
- Advised a group of real estate investment trusts in the public offering of Dana Investasi Real Estat.
- Assisted the existing shareholders of FASW as sellers in the sale of 55% of the shares of FASW to SCG Packaging.
Soemadipradja & Taher is one of the most active firms in the insurance sector, with a client roster that includes Aviva and The Great Eastern Life Assurance Company. The team is also highly focused on major growth areas in the region such as healthcare, hospitality and fintech. In terms of cross-border work, the team’s recent alliance with Singaporean law firm Allen & Gledhill LLP makes it well-place for Pan-Asian deals. Founding partner Rahmat Soemadipradja is a well-respected name in the market and has been working on some of the firm’s insurance work. Retno Muljosantoso has been very active in assisting international companies such as Aviva and IKEA, as well as venture capital firm Horizon Ventures. Emalia Achmadi has been a key name for the firm’s fintech work.
Horizon Ventures Ltd
IKEA of Sweden AB
The Great Eastern Life Assurance Company Limited
- Advised Great Eastern General Insurance on its acquisition of QBE General Insurance Indonesia.
- Advised IKEA on the legal compliance of its smart home application.
- Advised Horizon Ventures on its investment into tech startup Bobobox.
Widyawan & Partners
Attracting major clients such as AXA, Tik Tok, and Standard Chartered Bank, Widyawan & Partners has been very active in capital investments in insurance, fintech, banking, infrastructure, and natural resources. Yolanda Hutapea leads the team and focuses on industries such as telecoms, oil and gas, TMT, and financial services. Clients also benefit from her complementary expertise in employment. Karen Phang also heads up the practice and has been a key driver in the practice’s fintech work, and has recently been involved in the region’s untapped agri-tech sector. David Holme is a senior figure in the corporate and projects practices and as such is adept in advising on corporate matters surrounding energy and infrastructure. He is also highly skilled in the insurance and banking sectors. The firm works in association with Linklaters.
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB)
TOP Solvent Company Limited
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Standard Chartered Bank
Kasikornbank Public Company Limited
Insurance Group of Australia
- Advising FWD on its significant minority stake in BRI Life, the life insurance arm of PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia.
- Advised Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its acquisition of a 45% stake in PT Lintas Marga Sedaya (LMS).
- Advised Glencore on its minority investment into PT Cita Mineral Indonesia Tbk.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners has notable strengths in the infrastructure and technology sectors, advising international clients as well as public and private domestic companies. Giovanni Mofsol Muhammad has broad expertise in corporate law but is particularly active in advising state-owned enterprises on the purchase and divestment of shares as well as joint ventures. Fabiola Hutagalung, who is particularly strong in the spinoff of Sharia business units, and Hendra Ong, who is an expert in the energy and natural resources sector, are also recommended.
‘Good general knowledge of Indonesian laws and prompt response.’
‘Responsive and always ready to provide assistance even if it’s outside of the agreed scope.’
‘The team have a good knowledge and attitude towards solving problems. They also have elegant ways to defend and respond to the opposing party.’
PT Industri Kereta Api (Persero)
FCF Co. Ltd
Amazon Web Service
PT MRT Jakarta (Perseroda)
PT Amara Pameran Internasional / Visi Lintas
PT Instarem Mitra Indonesia / Nium Pte. Ltd
Agung Sedayu Group
PT Multi Visi Komputama
- Assisted PT Industri Kereta Api (Persero) with its joint venture with Stadler Rail AG.
- Provide comprehensive legal assistance to MRT Jakarta.
- Advised Amazon Web Services on its agreements with the state’s electricity company.
Oentoeng Suria & Partners is particularly prominent in the energy and infrastructure space and advises domestic companies, international investors and state-owned enterprises. Managing partner Ratih Nawangsari leads the group and is highly skilled in handling M&A and international investments. Foreign legal consultant Frédéric Draps is also recommended.
The Chugoku Electric Power Co., Inc.
- Advised Chugoku Electric on its acquisition of a substantial interest in the 18 MW PakkatHydroelectric Power Plant located in North Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Advised the Toll Group in the preparation and establishment of a joint venture arrangement in Indonesia with PT Salam Pacific Indonesia Lines to engage in multimode transportation and freight forwarding business activities.
- Advised Chiyoda Corporation on their complete divestment of PT Suluh Ardhi Engineering(SAE), an EPC contractor in Indonesia.
Mochtar Karuwin Komar
Roosdiono & Partners operates as part of the Zico law partnership and as such is well placed to handle Pan-ASEAN transactions. The team is currently very active in venture capital work, most notably in Indonesia’s growing fintech sector. Other notable strengths are in M&A, takeovers and management buyouts. Singapore based Hanim Hamzah leads the practice and is supported by Jakarta-based partners Barry Rolandi and Jade Hwang .
‘Barryl Rolandi provides strong service at reasonable pricing. He is knowledgeable on both corporate and finance matters.’
Intudo Ventures II, LP
The German Investment and Development Corporation (“DEG”)
Malayan Banking Berhad (“Maybank”)
Arcadis Asia Limited
- Advising Intudo on its $2.5m proposed investment transaction in a Singapore entity, Wahyoo Holding.
- Advised Maybank and its Indonesian partner, PT Prosperindo, in disposing all of their shares in PT Bank Maybank Syariah Indonesia.
- Advising Xiaomi and its subsidiary Red People Limited regarding its Series B funding into PT Pendanaan Teknologi Nusa, a P2P lending company in Indonesia.
Tjajo & Partners
Tjajo & Partners is particularly prominent in advising state-owned-enterprises on domestic deals, but is known to also work for local and international private companies. Managing partner Rambun Tjajo leads the practice and is an expert in M&A, restructuring and capital markets.
PT Semen Indonesia (Persero) Tbk
PT Bank Royal Indonesia
PT Danareksa (Persero)
SAIC-GMAC Automotive Finance Company Limited General Motors Financial Company Inc
PT Semen Gresik
Tencent Holdings Ltd
PT Danareksa Sekuritas
- Advising Semen Indonesia as the buyer in the acquisition of 80.6 percent interest in PT Holcim Indonesia Tbk.
- Representing PT Bank Royal Indonesia and its existing shareholders in the acquisition process by PT Bank Central Asia Tbk.
- Advised Danareksa on its purchase of 67% shares in PT Jalin Pembayaran Nusantara.
TNB & Partners is highly skilled in advising multinational companies on entering the Indonesia market, and most recently advised WeWork on the commercial and lease agreements behind setting up Jakarta offices. Benny Bernarto co-heads the practice and is particularly skilled in M&A transactions concerning the energy sector. Also leading the team is Kresna Panggabean who focuses on corporate advisory work and regulatory compliance. The firm works in association with Norton Rose Fulbright.
‘The strongest point is the personal touch shown by the team.’
International Container Terminal Services Inc.
Charles Taylor PLC
- Acting for Wavin on the setting up of business of its affiliate company
- Acting for Noble Group on the sale of its palm oil plantations.
- Acted for Olam International in relation to the sale of its equity stake in Indonesian sugar joint-venture.
Adnan Kelana Haryanto & Hermanto (AKHH) has a strong track record in M&A, with expertise in heavily regulated markets such as banking, insurance, and telecoms. The team also works on cross-border deals and has worked alongside a number of international law firms in Singapore. Founding partner Andy Kelana is highly focused on the telecoms sector, as well as the energy and broader infrastructure sector. Fellow founding partner Helena Adnan is another key name, with expertise in corporate transactions as well as ancillary areas such as capital markets and employment.
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) advises international and domestic clients on corporate restructurings, commercial agreements as well as minority and majority share acquisitions. Sector areas of particular interest include manufacturing, logistics and real estate. Founding partners Bagus Nur Buwono and Enrico Iskandar are the two key names of note.
- Advised Thai Union Group on the restructuring of its Indonesian subsidiary.
- Advised Sayana Integra Properti on the sale of 60% shares interest to an Indonesian joint venture company incorporated by DAIWA HOUSE and JOIN.
- Advised APEX Group on the acquisition of the assets and businesses of two freight forwarding companies in Indonesia, as part of global acquisitions of businesses of Apex Group by Kerry Group.
Hogan Lovells in association with Dewi Negara Fachri & Partners draws upon its international network and has a client base which includes Daimler and Air Asia. The team’s workload includes M&A, restructuring and commercial agreements. Managing partner Chalid Heyder and counsel Anthony Woolley are the key names.
Leks&Co is a real estate specialist firm whose corporate offering primarily involves the acquisition and sale of land and property. Managing partner Eddy Leks works at the helm and has advised both international and domestic clients in this area.
PT TJS Property
Keppel Land Indonesia
PT China Harbour Jakarta Real Estate Development
- Advising and conducting Legal Due Diligence for proposed land acquisition in Bali.
- Advising Keppel Land Indonesia on legal due diligence and transaction documents over land.
- Advising and performing Legal Due Diligence for an acquisition of land.
Advising major names such as Mitsui and Mitsubishi, Walalangi & Partners in association with Nishimura & Asahi’s niche area of focus is advising predominantly Japanese clients in M&A, venture capital and real estate transactions. Managing partner Luky I. Walalangi leads the practice and alongside corporate work is also skilled in complementary areas such as banking and finance and project finance.
- Advise Nippon Steel Corporation in its joint acquisition with ArcelorMittal SA of Essar Steel India Limited.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi Corporation in its superblock urban development project of more than $350m.
- Counsel to Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance in its investment in Go-Jek, as part of its ongoing Serie F funding round.
Witara Cakra Advocates (WCA)'s growing team is part of White & Case LLP’s efforts to increase its physical presence in Jakarta. The team is led by Kristo Molina, who predominantly focuses on capital markets but also has expertise in M&A transactions. He is supported by counsel Rika Rusman who joined from Ginting and is an expert in M&A and joint ventures.
- Represented Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on its acquisition of a majority shareholding in Bank Permata Tbk.
- Represented Diamond Food Indonesia in the acquisition of 734,365,964 shares in PT Diamond Food Indonesia Tbk.
- Advised PT Garudafood Putra Putri Jaya Tbk on the formation of a joint venture between PT Garudafood Putra Putri Jaya Tbk. and Hormel Foods Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.