Labour and employment in India
IndusLaw fields a strong bench of labour and employment experts covering all disciplines, from co-head Avik Biswas’ expertise in drafting HR guidance policies and internal regulatory compliances, to associate Ivana Chatterjee’s critical investigations skillset concerning hostile environment and misconduct allegations. Co-head Manishii Pathak leads on issues pertaining to unionised workforces, having recently handled industrial disputes on behalf of global FMCG companies and union negotiations concerning workforce terminations. Further contentious matters handled by Pathak include entitlement disputes and criminal fraud actions. The practice routinely advises global corporate clients on POSH matters, workforce restructuring and downsizing, employee benefits drafting and M&A due diligence.
Other key lawyers:
Gates Corporation No
Honeywell International No
Coca Cola India
- Advised Amneal on an extensive workforce reduction exercise. The role included strategy and legal advice, classification of the entire workforce into workmen and non-workmen, computation of redundancy and settlement amounts, provision of all legal documentation and provision of all statutory and employee communication.
- Responsible for all aspects related to employment law compliance, HR integration and creation of new policies and benefits structure for PayU’s acquisition of PaySense.
- Assisted MoneyGram International with overhauling its entire employment and HR structure for its India operations which included new policies, contracts, compliance matrices and HR practices protocols.
Khaitan & Co LLP covers the breadth of non-contentious employment issues, from senior appointments and exits, incentive plans and audits, to large-scale restructuring and retrenchment exercises and trade union negotiations. On the regulatory front, practice head Anshul Prakash is advising high-profile global corporates in recent changes to employee provident fund contributions. In related contentious proceedings, Vinay Joy handled tribunal appeals for manufacturing clients challenging orders of the Assistant Provident Fund Commission. Other contentious highlights saw Jeevan Ballav Panda handling trade union disputes in the High Court for financial services clients. Senior associate Abhimanyu Pal and associate Kruthi Murthy regularly assist with the breadth of HR governance and compliance matters.
‘The team comprises good professionals with sound subject knowledge.‘
‘Anshul Prakash and Abhinav Rastogi have been thorough and diligent in their deliveries.‘
‘Anshul Prakash is easy to reach, possesses good knowledge of the area of specialisation and has provided satisfactory advisory services to our company.‘
‘Having known and been associated with Anshul Prakash for years for his impeccable advice on employment and labour, our organisation has benefited immensely with his expertise on the subject and excellent research and analytical skills. We regularly consult Anshul on several employment law-related issues involving high stakes and often highly sensitive matters and found his business-friendly advice and responsiveness to be the most impressive.‘
‘Responsive, clear, knowledgeable, polite and professional.‘
Ambuja Cements and ACC Limited
Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Limited
Bharat Serums and Vaccines Limited
Rolls-Royce Operations (India) Private Limited
Reliance Industries Limited
Hindustan Unilever Limited
FIS Payment Solutions and Services India Private Limited
Robert Bosh GmbH
LEGO System A/s
Prince Pipes and Fittings Limited
Koch Industries Inc.
- Advised both Ambuja Cements and ACC Limited in devising the appropriate strategy to effectuate the proposed change in their senior management.
- Represented Rolls-Royce Operations before the Central Government Industrial Tribunal-cum-Labour Court in appeal proceedings challenging an order of the Assistant Provident Fund Commissioner (APFC) claiming that the special allowance recorded in books of accounts of the client were basic wages for calculation of provident fund contribution, disregarding the fact that the said payments were in fact hypo tax paid to international workers.
- Advised and represented FIS Payment Solutions and Services India Private Limited before the High Court in a civil suit and injunction application filed against trade unions (including All Bengal Contract Security Workmen’s Union) for restraining them from obstructing free ingress and egress of members of the public and personnel of the client.
Kochhar & Co. provides a full-service labour and employment practice to Indian and multinational corporates. Suhas Srinivasiah and Savita Kesav Jagadeesan handle trade union negotiations and disputes in the automotive, manufacturing and technology sectors, while litigation in regards to employee data breaches is a growing field of expertise. Practice head Vijay Ravi leads the way on HR guidance and policy engagements, encompassing workforce reductions (including hybrid solutions), health and safety guideline drafting, senior hires and exits and misconduct investigations, and Debjani Aich is the go-to name for all POSH matters. Practice head Rohit Kochhar established the Covid-19 Legal Risk Assessment & Mitigation desk, available to all retained clients. The firm’s association to the international Ius Laboris network assists Indian companies without overseas expansion projects.
‘The firm has a very good reputation and highly experienced partners with specialised domain knowledge in HR & industrial disputes. The basic strength of the firm is that it has very competent and experienced partners who, in addition to other elements, understand the importance of providing legal solutions in a timely manner. The firm maintains the highest quality in its work, which is performed keeping the latest amendments/changes of law into focus.‘
‘I met the team last year and have worked with them since on employment matters. I find the whole team is very knowledgeable on employment matters and has a commercial sense which is valuable to our organisation.‘
‘Kochhar & Co. has done a fabulous job in partnering with us on all compliance and legal matters. They are very responsive, acts very responsibly while making recommendations, and are very much genuine in what they do and suggest.‘
‘The teams strengths are in agility and ability to adapt to the client’s requirements while holding to the ethical practices. The firm responds with a good turn around time while ensuring sufficient and efficient research is also done.‘
‘The team has been proactive in providing timely analyses and opinions on impact of new guidelines.‘
Willis Towers Watson
Sainsburys Agro India
Cushman & Wakefield India
BSES Yamuna Power Limited
Inditex Trent Retail India Private Limited (ZARA)
GroundTruth India Private Limited
- Successfully represented the Indian subsidiary of a large US multinational in a high-profile case against certain former employees and obtained injunction orders restraining the former employees from competing against the client.
- Provided legal support and assistance to a multinational client in a highly confidential and sensitive investigation against senior officials who were alleged to have engaged in financial impropriety.
- Obtained an injunction in favour of an Indian subsidiary of a Global Fortune 500 company against a demand of non-payment of statutory dues made by the Employees State Insurance Corporation.
Nishith Desai Associates
The HR law team at Nishith Desai Associates is retained by some of the largest global corporates on the market for full-scope labour and employment guidance, with a focus on regulatory advice and compliance, policy implementation, workforce strategy, agreement structuring, terminations and employee transfers. Practice head Vikram Shroff is a trusted advisor to large-scale technology and private equity clients; Ajay Singh Solanki is the go-to name for compensation and benefits structuring; and Preetha Soman is developing a strong misconduct and POSH practice, which encompasses internal leadership audits and workforce training. The firm’s dispute resolution lawyers field experience in handling labour and employment arbitrations.
‘The team excels in availability and timely response.s Attentive to pressing deadlines, gives personal attention and demonstrates commitment and care.‘
‘Vikram Shroff, head of employment department, my main contact: Knowledgeable, smart, experienced. Has many contacts and familiarity with the employment domain, in many levels, which contribute to his experience and ability to advise. Gives personal attention to any matter, but also distributes work between other team members in an efficient manner when necessary. Makes himself available whenever a need arises. I value his commitment to myself and to my organisation, especially in recent unique times.‘
‘Provides the required legal input, interpretation of laws etc. in a satisfactory and clear manner, but also puts a large emphasis on practical solutions.‘
‘Ajay Singh Solanki is smart, knowledgeable and experienced. Good in providing to-the-point input, both on the pure legal sphere and on the practical end of employment relations.‘
‘Preetha Soman is smart and articulate. Holds great expertise in certain areas, and whenever I have a chance to work with her, I’m highly impressed by her knowledge and advice.‘
‘Archita Mohapatra is the newest member of the team. Smart, driven and precise.‘
Little Caesars Pizza
Silicon Valley Bank
- Advised Disney on Indian employment law issues arising out of the acquisition of 21st Centry Fox, including but not limited to transitioning of employees.
- Handled Gardner Denver’s merger with Ingersoll Rand’s industrial segment; advised Gardner Denver on the Indian employment law aspects of the transaction.
- Advised Nvidia on the Indian employment law aspects of its acquisition of Mellanox.
The employment practice at Trilegal provides its diverse client roster with the breadth of contentious and non-contentious matters covering senior-level hires and exits, reorganisations, internal investigations, employee handbook drafting and remuneration policies. Practice head Atul Gupta’s extensive regulatory knowledge is applied to complex legal questions surrounding third-party workers and high-value due diligences. A substantial manufacturing client base engages the team on unionised workforce disputes and negotiations, while Swarnima is a leading voice in regards to POSH matters, heading up the dedicated workplace sexual harassment policy advisory and training practice. Criminal proceeding involving wrongful termination and discrimination allegations are also handled.
- Acted for Pitney Bowes on the Indian leg of its acquisition by Syncsort.
- Advised American Mortgage Company (AMC) on amending its framework regarding carrying background verification and medical and drug tests after supporting AMC in initiating action against an employee who failed his drug test.
- assisted Lyondell Basel on the full breadth of employment strategy for closing down its factory.
Aliff Fazelbhoy heads the employment practice at ALMT Legal, offering expert advice on employment contract negotiations, ESOP planning, international workforce regulations, senior executive terminations plus subsequent challenges, misconduct hearings and breach of confidential information disputes. Kruti Desai handles matters pertaining to POSH (including conducting training sessions), internal complaints procedures, workforce reorganisations, regulatory compliance and HR handbook drafting. The diverse client roster including names from the IT, heavy industry, online marketplace, professional services, telecoms and education sectors. Highly rated senior associate Ahetesham Thaver adds strength across all advisory mandates.
‘A very responsive team and very capable to adapt to the team dynamics of the client.‘
‘Aliff Fazelbhoy is clear in his advice and has proved to be of great added value to us and our clients when needing legal guidance in India. This team is unique in terms of their quality of response and the response time. The legal advice provided is a perfect blend of legalities as well as practical outlook towards a problem.‘
‘Kruti Desai is an absolutely helpful person and her advice has helped us so much. She has always apprised us with situations well before the implantation of the solutions then preparing us well to handle a situation. In spite of her busy schedule, she has been so flexible and made herself available for consultation when needed thus providing us a speedy response. I am really happy working with her.‘
‘Ahetesham Thaver has been very helpful in his approach and advice.‘
National Schools Bengaluru
V-Ships India Pvt. Ltd.
Continnum Managed Solutions
Sanghvi Beauty & Technology Private Limited
Daiwa Portfolio Advisory (India) Private Limited
- Advising Mobitech Creations Private Limited (OnePlus) on all applicable employment laws pertaining to drafting of employment agreements, termination of employees and various legal opinions.
- Advised National Public Schools, Bengaluru on the legal issues and documentation and end-to-end handholding of the management team of the client towards setting-up various organisational and operational processes.
- Advising V-Ships India on labour legislation applicable to workmen and non-workmen for termination including retrenchment and reduction of salary and on the applicability, validity and binding nature of various COVID-19 circulars/orders issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs and the various state governments.
AZB & Partners provides a dedicated labour employment practice with extensive expertise in HR guidance, policy and compliance matters. Co-head Nohid Nooreyezdan is a leading name for regulatory expertise, particularly regarding POSH, immigration and employee benefits, while also handling highly sensitive and contentious senior exits. Co-heads Rachit Bahl and Veena Gopalkrishnan advise on staff reorganisations, retrenchment, employee documentation, collective bargaining and due diligence. The team benefits from a dedicated compliance and investigation desk which is deployed on senior-level misconduct and workplace harassment investigations, with co-head Sunila Awasthi being a key name on this front.
ABB India Limited
Avery Dennison India
Axis Bank Limited
Bank of America
Baxalta Singapore Pte Ltd.
Ceragon Networks Ltd.
Comverse Network Systems Private Limited
Daimler Financial Services India
NRB Bearings Limited
Piaggio Vehicles Private Limited
Quess Corp Limited
RCI Asia-Pacific Singapore LLC
Richemont India Private Limited
Simon & Schuster, Inc.
Star India Private Limited
- Assisted a US publishing house with evaluating a potential conflict of interest situation and advised on disciplinary actions, as well as the possibility of terminating employment.
- Advised a healthcare conglomerate on compliance with prevention of sexual harassment laws in India and prepared the company handbook and policies in this regard.
- Advised the Indian branch of a multinational bank on various labour law issues, including with respect to termination provisions, covering simplicitor termination, termination for cause, including termination of absconding employees.
The labour and employment practice at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas is currently engaged by a suite of high-profile corporate clients to assist with high-stakes employee provident fund issues, including internal compliance updates and appearances before the authorities handled by Richa Mohanty Rao and practice head Rashmi Pradeep. The practice is also noteworthy for generating high-value, employment-driven transactional work, recently for global pharmaceuticals companies. Recently elevated partner Abe Abraham applies his extensive regulatory knowledge to benefits structuring, POSH guidance and the implementation of internal grievance mechanisms.
Pfizer Healthcare India Private Limited
Bank of Baroda
Varian Medical Systems Inc.
Thomson Reuters India Private Limited
Quess Corp Limited
Warburg Pincus LLC
Air India Limited
Tailwind Capital Group
Hotel Corporation of India Limited
- appointed by Pfizer Healthcare India Private to provide advice and assistance in connection with the cessation of manufacturing activities at the Aurangabad and Irungattukottai plants and the proposed exit from these site comprising approximately 1780 employees and approximately 600 contract labourers.
- Appointed by Bank of Baroda regarding the first of a kind amalgamation and three-way merger of three state-run banks: Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank and Bank of Baroda, all listed nationalised banks having public shareholders.
- Acted as legal counsel to Quess Corp Limited in connection with the appointment of the chief executive officer-designate and executive director to be subsequently appointed as the sole chief executive officer of the company.
J Sagar Associates
J Sagar Associates focuses on the HR and regulatory aspects of labour and employment, encompassing POSH guidance and training, data privacy issues, employee transfers and restructuring, senior hires and exits and misconduct investigations. A substantial set of clients in the manufacturing sectors engages co-heads Sandeep Mehta and Rupinder Malik on trade union negotiations. Co-heads Sajai Singh and Shivpriya Nanda regularly provide employment support on M&A transactions and other corporate activity.
Sistema Shyam Teleservices Limited
- Advised and assisted a global semiconductor manufacturer in the transfer of over 800 employees during its acquisition of a business unit of another leading semiconductor manufacturer.
- Assisted a multinational software company in preparing an exhaustive HR guide aimed to be a virtual employment law library providing solutions and guidelines to its HR managers on all aspects from interviewing candidates, onboarding them, daily policies regulating employment matters, termination of employees etc.
- Conducted multiple anti-sexual harassment training sessions across the country for a real estate developer.
Suyash Srivastava leads the labour and employment practice at L&L Partners Law Offices with a broad focus encompassing HR guidance, transactional due diligence and contentious matters. Regarding the latter, Srivastava and Damini Bhalla are involved in trade union disputes for employers in the heavy industries. William Vivian John regularly handles workforce restructuring exercises, internal misconduct investigations and ESOP structuring. The team recently handled extensive employee transfers in high-value corporate transactions in the private equity, media, pharmaceuticals, IT and electronics sectors.
Majmudar & Partners
The predominantly international client roster of Majmudar & Partners’ labour and employment practice comprises noteworthy names in the pharmaceuticals, IT, telecoms, FMCG, engineering and professional services sectors. The breadth of HR guidance, restructuring, senior hires and terminations and POSH compliance is advised on, while an uptick in breach-of-confidentiality disputes was witnessed by the team. Neerav Merchant and N. Raja Sujith lead the practice, and Amrit Mehta adds strength to transactional and tax-related employment issues, including in regards to ESOP structuring.
Other key lawyers:
thyssenkrupp Elevator (India) Private Limited
Minance Technologies Private Limited
MBB Labs Private Limited
Hamburg Sud India Private Limited
Livevox Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
GS Engineering & Construction Mumbai Private Limited
- Provided employment law advice to KeepTruckin Inc’s Indian subsidiary.
- Provided Indian employment law advice to Sysdig, Inc. involving complex employment, tax and Indian foreign exchange regulatory issues.
- Provided advice to Minance Technologies Private Limited on the actions to be taken for data theft and violation-of-confidentiality obligations by ex-employees.
Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co’s labour and employment practice focuses on providing HR guidance and policy support for the firm’s substantial global client base. Practice head Pooja Ramchandani advises on senior-level hiring and retrenchment, full-scope workforce structuring, POSH and disciplinary policies, employee benefits negotiations and M&A support. Internal misconduct investigations is also a point of strength, supported by principle associate Vaibhav Bhadwaj and senior associate Kriti Kaushik. Sector expertise is broad, though the team is particularly active in the healthcare, aviation, banking and finance and manufacturing industries.
‘They have in-depth understanding of our business and provide relevant, tailored legal advice. They are our preferred firm for these reasons.‘
‘Pooja Ramchandani, Kriti Kaushik and their team are extremely receptive and responsive to our needs. They are easily approachable and make themselves available whenever required. Their research and advice is in depth and contextual.‘
A substantial roster of multinational clients retains Bharucha & Partners’ labour and employment practice for HR guidance pertaining to ESOP structuring, whistleblowing policy support, POSH matters, M&A due diligence and senior-level hires and exits. Regarding the latter, Vandana Pai and practice head Justin Bharucha represent the interests of both senior employees and employers. Recent contentious matters included novel disputes concerning unrecognised labour unions, breach of confidentiality and theft of trade secrets by ex employees.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great can-do attitude and approach.‘
‘Very pragmatic and internationally oriented.‘
‘Very professional and reliable.‘
‘Results oriented and helpful.‘
Idea Vodafone Limited
FirstSource Solutions Limited
General Atlantic Private Limited
Tata Communications Limited
Larsen & Turbo
Shopsense Retail Technologies Private Limited
Balaji Telefilms Limited
Telenor India Pvt. Ltd
BrainPulse Technologies Private Limited
Relevant E Solutions Private Limited
India Factoring and Finance Solutions Private Limited
Phoenix Mills Limited
- Represented FirstSource Solutions Limited in disputes before the labour courts and labour commissioners, including two disputes filed by employees for wrongful termination.
- Assisted General Atlantic with the Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP) as part of its investment in Capital Foods India Private Limited.
- advised Alchem International on its anti-sexual harassment policy, including: (i) drafting the Prevention of Sexual Harassment (POSH) policy for the client and reviewing the policy on regular intervals; (ii) conducting POSH workshops at all the offices/ factories of the client; and (iii) advising the client on complaints of sexual harassment received by it.
HSA Advocates provides labour and employment advisory support to a client roster comprising domestic and international employers. Compliance and regulatory work is particularly strong for the team, aided by recently launched in-house platform ‘UnComplycate’ made available to retained clients. Key partners Jivesh Chandrayan, Rachika A Sahay and Soumya Kanti De Mallik advise on employee transfers in M&A transactions, internal misconduct investigations, immigration issues and senior hires and exits, recently in the renewable energy, healthcare, IT, FMCG and oil and gas sectors.
‘What makes this practice unique is their ability to bring together their in-house experts to solve complex problems. They helped us weigh all our options, merits and demerits and advised us in a crisp and simplified manner that enabled us to make the right decision internally. During a critical COVID-19 situation, we were helped immensely by their legal expertise.‘
‘HSA Advocates is an excellent law office to work with. They are quite diligent and knowledgeable. They have handled multiple cases for us and always advise us on the best course of action with the cost benefit analysis in the background.‘
‘Overall a highly professional team with an easy working relationship. Well coordinated, role is clear between team members, each member equally inquisitive to know and understand the requirements of the client and thus available and able to resolve the issues.‘
‘Jivesh Chandrayan has been a good legal professional and his counsel and advice is second to none. He ensured that he brought all stakeholders together, advised us correctly on documentation and explained things in a very easy manner for us to execute seamlessly.‘
‘Jivesh Chandrayan is our contact within HSA Advocates and he has advised us on multiple labour cases. He is well aware on the intricacies of labour law, has huge knowledge of legal practice which he combines with knowledge of the industry we work in in order to deliver the best results.‘
‘The most important aspect which makes Jivesh Chandrayan stand out is his understanding of the case and quicy cross referencing with international law and practices. This makes it easy for our HQ abroad to understand the nuances of the legal practices in India and thereby compare and arrive at a conclusion.‘
‘Apart from his sound knowledge, Jivesh Chandrayan is a fine gentlemen who is easily approachable at all times. This gives us comfort to approach him anytime. He is a very important asset to any organisation. Further, he has the knack of putting the case out very simply, giving examples relevant to our issue. This has immensely helped us to arrive at a conclusion.‘
‘Jivesh Chandrayan has been very important in running of our India operations.‘
Terma A/S Denmark and Terma (India) Private Limited
INFOBIP – Infobip India Private Limited and BSMART India Private Limited
Marche Retail Private Limited
HH Global: Procurement and Creative Production Solutions
SREI Infrastructure Finance Limited
Sigfox Singapore Pte. Ltd.
HORIBA India Private Limited
Acme Solar Holding India
JVS (JOULON Group Company)
GATX India Private Limited
GAIL India Ltd.
Stibo System India Private Limited
- Handholding Innovaccer Inc. through the fluctuations in labour and employment laws during the COVID-19 pandemic, characterised by various government orders, petitions before the courts, suspension of labour laws, extension of regulatory timelines.
- Advised a Chinese streaming platform on the labour law mechanisms in India, the applicable legislations (including the compliance) and practical considerations in relation to setting up business operations in India.
- Advised a state-owned natural gas processing and distribution company on the essential aspects of labour laws in relation to the proposed demerger wherein the company will transfer a part of its business to another entity.
Ongoing instructions for Phoenix Legal’s labour and employment practice include compensation package structuring, collective bargaining negotiations (for the extensive manufacturing client base), employee contract reviews, workforce reorganisations and M&A-related due diligence. A long list of IT clients retains the team for advice on retrenchments, executive-level remuneration and trade union negotiations. The partnership comprises practice heads Manjula Chawla, Saket Shukla, Abhishek Saxena and Sawant Singh.
Equentia Natural Resources Pte. Ltd. and Equentia SCF Technologies Private Limited
Zorg Industries (Hong Kong) Limited
ASTA Energy Transmission Components GmbH
Catholic Relief Services
- advised Dell on structuring the transfer of employees as part of the transaction involving 100% acquisition of Unifi Software Inc. by Boomi.
- Providing employment advice to Groupon in relation to its subsidiary, Groupon Shared Services (Groupon India) on an ongoing basis.
- Advised Dynavax Technologies Corporation, a US listed company, is a fully-integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on developing, and commercialising novel vaccines on an employment agreement in accordance with applicable Indian laws.
Samvad Partners offers a strong bench of employment experts covering the full range of disciplines. Co-head Ashwini Vittalachar and Junaira Rahman advise on senior hires and exits, internal investigations and broad regulatory advice including POSH policy implementation. Co-head Poornima Hatti spearheads the contentious work, including criminal proceedings into financial fraud, industrial disputes, trade secrets breaches and misconduct allegations. The team advises early-stage companies and start-ups in innovative sectors (including healthtech and fintech) on ESOP structuring and all other employee incentive packages.
Other key lawyers:
ANI Technologies Private Limited (Ola)
CIGNEX Datamatics Technologies Limited
Daiwa Corporate Advisory India Private Limited
Dell International Services India Private Limited
Delhivery Private Limited
Eastern Engineering Company Private Limited
Eurofins Advinus Limited
Exilant Technologies Private Limited
Fintellix Solutions Private Limited
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Global Consumer Products Private Limited
Huron Eurasia Private Limited
Interglobe Aviation Ltd. (Indigo)
JP Morgan India Services Private Limited
Jumbotail Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
Mahindra Aerostructures Pvt. Ltd.
Manthan Software Services Private Limited
McKinsey & Company, Inc.
MTS Systems Corporation
Red Brick Lane Marketing Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Ruptub Solutions Private Limited (Treebo Hotels)
Sarvaloka Services-On-Call Private Limited
SFO Technologies Private Limited
Stryker Global Technology Centre Private Limited
Thorogood Associates India Pvt. Ltd
Titan Company Ltd
Singhania & Partners LLP
Labour and employment advice on high-value transactions at Singhania & Partners LLP is provided by co-heads Ravi Singhania, Shilpa Shah, Manish Kumar Sharma and Rudra Srivastava. Recent highlights involved complex transfers and retrenchments in highly unionised sectors. Numerous IT clients instructed the team on employee misconduct investigations and subsequent hearings. The team also drafts POSH guidelines and other HR policies for all clients. Highly praised senior associate Bhanu Harish recently advised IT clients on multi-state compliance requirements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Laws in India are often complex and the law and its application are not always consistent. I appreciate that Singhania & Partners are able to give very practical advice for foreign investors who may not necessarily understand the norms in India.‘
‘Rudra Srivastava and Bhanu Harish are very prompt in responding to most queries and often assist with preparing documents or giving very clear guided instructions on what clients need to do without being asked. It helps us feel ensured that we are not missing out anything just because we failed to raise a question. They are always available for a call to address clarifications needed.‘
Semtech Advanced Systems India Private Limited
Shangri-La International Hotel Management Ltd.
iQor India Services Private Limited
ABS Industrial Verification (India) Private Limited
CECO Emtrol Buell India Private Limited
Oxford University Press
- Advising Kohler on employees’ termination and transfer consequent to transfer of business of the Indian leg from the perspective of labour laws and drafting requisite documents in this respect.
- Gave a detailed note to Semtech Advanced Systems listing the compliance requirements under several labour laws in numerous states.
- On behalf of CP Wholesale, conducted interviews and counselling sessions with the employees of the client in relation to a possible misappropriation of funds leading to a large-scale corporate fraud across its many branches in the National Capital Region.
The labour and employment partnership at Chadha & Co. comprises Namita Chadha and Savita Sarna, who are retained by a strong roster of multinational clients. Typical instructions involve misconduct disputes and investigations, M&A support, regulatory compliance and HR guidance. Additionally, the team was recently engaged by clients in the life sciences sector to advise on risk management of outsourcing undertakings, and clients in the entertainment sector for employee data risk analysis.
International Trading Fashion & Apparel Supply Limited (Hong Kong)/ ITFAS India Fashion Private Limited
]Electronic Arts Limited
Sojitz India Private Limited
STMicroelectronics Private Limited
ConvaTec (Singapore) Pte Ltd/ ConvaTec India Private Limited
Schenker India Private Limited
United Ocean Ship Management
Rivigo Services Private Limited
Delhi International Airport Limited
William Grant & Sons Limited
Pinkerton Corporate Risk Management India
DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals India Private Limited
Japan External Trade Organization
KCI Medical India Private Limited
Japan International Cooperation Agency
- Advised International Trading Fashion & Apparel Supply Limited on the options of transferring the employees of its Indian distributor to its Indian entity.
- Conducted a challenging disciplinary proceeding initiated by KCI Medical India pursuant to an internal complaint.
- Representing United Ocean Ship Management in a litigation matter, as raised by an ex-employee of the client.
Numerous corporate partners at Clasis Law including Vineet Aneja and Vikram Bhargava advise extensively on labour and employment issues. Recent work pertained to large-scale retrenchment exercises, senior management hires and terminations, and full-scope policy drafting for international corporate clients. The firm also handled misconduct investigations and subsequent disputes.
Shyamal Mukherjee heads the employment practice at Fox Mandal with assistance from commercial partners Kaustuv Chunder and Purnima Kamble. Recent instructions included dispute resolution with senior employees, POSH guideline structuring, full-scope HR policy implementation and corporate due diligence. The client list comprises start-ups and established corporates in the the heavy industry, IT and financial services sectors.
HMS Host Services Private Limited
Dover India Private Limited
Morningstar India Private Limited
Indian Oil Petronas Private Ltd
Cognizant Technology Solutions
SUSPA Pneumatics (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Exide Industries Ltd
FNF India Private Limited
Lloyds Banking Group
Capital One Services (India) Private Limited
United States Pharmacopeia – India Private Limited
CDK Global (India) Private Limited
ZF India Technology Center
Synchrony International Services Private Limited
- Advised a multinational conglomerate on all aspects of employment laws, including employment documentation, employment policies, termination, disciplinary action, and third-party documentation.
- Assisted an offshore drilling company with a dispute with an executive holding a very high position. Advising on negotiations with the executive and addressing various allegations made against the executives of the parent company in the US.
- Assisted a large manufacturing wholly owned subsidiary company of a German company in its various labour and employee related issues, disciplinary proceedings etc., and in disputes with Workmen’s Union of Factory Workers and litigation with the Union before the authorities.
Dimpy Mohanty leads the employment practice at LexCounsel, emphasising advisory support and HR guidance. Recent matters pertained to workforce restructuring, disciplinary and whistleblower policy implementation, furlough programmes, immigration support and compliance with the Industrial Disputes Act for warehouse staff.
Mani Chengappa & Mathur
The technology sector-focused employment practice at Mani Chengappa & Mathur provides advisory support to a host of growth and established companies in IT, connectivity services, fintech, data management and e-commerce; hospitality and financial services clients are also counted on the roster. Practice heads Utham Chengappa and Neil Mathur handle policy drafting, HR guidance, regulatory advice and mediation.
Brightsword Technologies Private Limited
Triphase Technologies Private Limited
Utkarsh Small Finance Bank Limited
Sierra-Cedar India Private Limited
- Assisted the Indian entity of Brightsword in drawing up and structuring its employment documentation such as employment agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements and employment policies in line with its business and operational requirements and in accordance with the legal mandate.
- Advised Triphase Technologies on how to best deal with employee disputes and assisted in drawing up certain employment related documentation such as intellectual property assignment agreements.
- We provide regulatory advice to Sierra-Cedar India Private Limited on an ongoing basis on complex regulatory issues that exists in labour laws.
Poovayya & Co
A team led by Siddhartha George handles contentious and non-contentious labour and employment issues at Poovayya & Co. On the latter, the team recently handled arbitral proceedings for technology clients concerning salary payments. Trade union negotiations, employment law audits, contract drafting, disciplinary procedures and all other HR requirement are advised on.
‘The team at Poovayya & Co is excellent. They have been key drivers in labour compliance documents and agreement updates in our company. They have numerous teams and a support ecosystem to have all things managed. We have worked with them for all things legal of our company and is go-to firm for any initiatives.‘
‘Siddhartha George is pivotal to our relationship with the firm.‘
‘Amit Kiran helps us with the queries and getting the things done internally from the teams. He actively contributes and shares insights into compliance.‘
‘Bhumika Maheshwari is hands-on in terms of agreement creation and legal insight management.‘
7EDGE Internet Private Limited
Board of Control for Cricket in India
Cap Gemini Technology Services India Private Limited
- Advising Board of Control for Cricket in India, the apex Indian body governing cricket in India, with respect to its labour and employment requirements.
- Advising Cap Gemini Technology Services India Private Limited with respect to ongoing arbitral proceedings on the payment of salary.
- Drafted the employment contracts, handbook and internal human resource policies for 7EDGE. The Firm also regularly advises 7EDGE on their ongoing staffing requirements, including agreements with contractors and termination agreements.
Regular non-contentious matters at SNG & PARTNERS' employment practice (which is headed by Rajesh Gupta) include HR compliance audits, policy implementation and corporate due diligence. Anju Gandhi is handling novel matters for global financial services clients concerning the administration of employee provident funds for international workers. Gandhi also handles sensitive ADR procedures arising from employee misconduct under POSH guidelines.
Other key lawyers: