With a client roster encompassing leading companies, public authorities and municipal governments, the team at ADVEL Attorneys at Law handles all aspects of employment and labour law mandates, including industrial actions and collective agreements. The practice also advises clients on cross-border issues including work relating to immigration law. Óskar Norðmann leads the department, which also fields Guðmundur Siemsen, Stefan Thor Ingimarsson and Arni Freyr Arnason.
Employment in Iceland
Other key lawyers:
Guðmundur Siemsen; Stefan Thor Ingimarsson; Arni Freyr Arnason
The employment department at Lex Law Offices is led by seasoned litigator Arnar Þór Stefánsson. Recent work encompasses advising on compensation schemes, harassment issues, employment contracts and collective bargaining agreements. The team also regularly assists foreign entities establishing a presence in Iceland with employment matters and represents employers and employees in complex disputes; the group recently acted for Landsbankinn in claims relating to two allegations of unlawful dismissal.
Arnar Þór Stefánsson
The Japanese Embassy of Iceland
Iceland Seafood International hf.
HS Orka ehf.
Stapi Pension Fund
Guide to Iceland ehf.
- Representing Landsbankinn hf. in two separate disputes brought by two former employees of the bank, where they are claiming compensation for alleged unlawful dismissal.
- Advised on the termination of HS Orka’s CEO’s employment contract and negotiated the terms of a new employment contract with a new CEO.
- Advising Arnarlax on various issues including collective agreements, employment contracts, employee’s rights and wage and shift issues.
LOGOS legal services
The employment team at LOGOS legal services is led by litigation specialist Ólafur Eiríksson, and handles contracts, restructuring issues and disputes with employees; the practice also advises on remuneration schemes, work permits and collective bargaining agreements. Key sector strengths for the team include assisting companies in the aviation, fishing, pharmaceuticals, telecoms and finance industries; it recently represented Deloitte in a claim for unfair dismissal. Einar Baldvin Axelsson is the name to note for matters involving maritime workers.
Other key lawyers:
Einar Baldvin Axelsson
‘Ólafur Eiríksson has exceptional insight in all things both commercial and legal. Every aspect of the case was handled in very professional manner.’
‘Ólafur Eiríksson is the go to person for us at Logos.’
‘Total legal services that cover all aspects of the law, and good cooperation between partners in cases covering multiple legal issues.’
Veritas Capital ehf
Ragnar og Ásgeir ehf
- Represented Deloitte and all but three of its partners in a dispute with one of its former partners, who believed he was unfairly dismissed from the partnership.
- Represented Verne Global in a dispute with the Union of Electrical Workers and seven of its members. The union believed that Verne did not fulfil its collateral agreements.
- Advised a variety of clients on issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic including interpreting whether companies have the right to assistance, whether the pandemic has Force Majeure effects and what actions companies can resort to.