Flick Gocke Schaumburg is a heavyweight in the German market and was able to further expand its geographical reach with the opening of an office in Stuttgart in June 2019. As a firm specialising in tax law, it handles the full remit of the subject matter, including criminal tax law and succession planning. Due to this broad spread, the team's client base includes a wide range of clients, from DAX-listed companies and well-known family businesses, which receive regular assistance with restructurings, reorganisations, transactions and large-scale compliance projects as well as customs and VAT matters, alongside non-profit organisations, athletes and artists. Tax advisor and auditor Thomas Rödder heads the practice, which includes Jens Schönfeld. He covers various tax law matters including associated court and arbitration proceedings. Jörg Schauf and Karsten Randt are the key contacts for criminal law tax.
Tax in Germany
Flick Gocke Schaumburg
Volkswagen / Porsche
- Axel Springer SE: Advice on tax law in connection with the takeover offer by US financial investor KKR.
- Wirtgen Invest: Advice on tax law on the acquisition of the T8 office tower in Frankfurt am Main.
- Deutsche Bahn AG: Tax advice on the issue of a hybrid bond of over € 1.2 billion.
Linklaters has carved out a strong practice handling transactional tax law; this type of work is routinely carried out for corporates and financial institutions and often handled in cooperation with the firm's M&A practice. Practice head Oliver Rosenberg is a key player in this space, while Jens Blumenberg routinely handles tax law matters at the interface with M&A alongside those in a private equity setting. Other key areas of expertise include tax litigation and internal investigations as well as tax-related crisis management and compliance issues. Within the compliance space, the team has a specialism in banking compliance. Consequently, it leads on internal investigations and advises various financial companies on cum-ex structures and cum-ex transactions. Christian Hundeshagen, who made partner in May 2020, is a key contact for this. Alongside compliance matters and criminal tax investigations, he also provides assistance with national and international corporate taxation. Managing associate Julian Böhmer is recommended for tax law matters pertaining to group restructurings and corporate acquisitions.
National and international banks, corporates, institutional investors, funds and asset managers frequently instruct the team at Clifford Chance to assist with tax structuring issues in the funds and asset management sectors, a key area of expertise for Marco Simonis, as well as with matters pertaining to real estate, M&A and PE transactions, where the practice is best known for its expertise at the intersection between tax, fund regulation and real estate. Handling investigative and criminal proceedings as well as preventive tax compliance issues constitutes another cornerstone of the practice and an area frequently led by team head Felix Mühlhäuser, but he also provides regular advice on national and international financing transactions alongside real estate and corporate acquisitions. Thorsten Sauerhering is another key member of the team, as is Dominik Engl, who made partner in May 2020. Both specialise in transactional tax.
Milbank's practice is best known for its transactional capabilities but it also provides assistance with general group tax issues, tax audits and contentious proceedings. This offering is frequently used by private equity firms and corporates as well as private clients. The team includes Thomas Kleinheisterkamp and managing partner of the Munich office Rolf Füger, both of whom not only handle M&A and PE transactions but also corporate tax law, while Kleinheisterkamp also advises on tax audits and tax litigation. Associate Moritz Philipp is another key contact for tax audits, most notably for corporate groups and investors; a client base he also advises on restructurings, M&A transactions and financing.
Other key lawyers:
' Apart from excellent professional advice, very pragmatic advice networked across legal areas; excellent availability. '
' Milbank's tax support is characterized by an integrated, cross-departmental approach. In doing so, they take into account entrepreneurially relevant aspects in the short and long term. Risks are recognized as scenarios and taken into account in solutions with flexible structures. Problem solving is understood as a design mandate in a complex environment, which clearly sets Milbank apart from other competitors. '
' Professionally convincing and very quickly. '
'' Excellent transactional expertise and experience; In the case relevant to us here, relating to the tax structure of a company acquisition, advice on the tax aspects of the purchase agreement and the implementation of post-deal conversion processes. Very good communication even on complex tax issues. '
' Matthias Schell: Outstanding specialist knowledge, customer-oriented, solution-oriented, is a real help. '
' Matthias Schell has been the contact person for our group for many years. With great skill and prudence, he guides his internal external colleagues in the mandate, most recently in the context of a complex takeover and structuring of a transaction in multiple tax-decisive topics. Not only technically outstanding, but a deal leader in all matters, always extremely pleasant to deal with and approachable at all times. '
' Thomas Kleinheisterkamp: Extremely structured and technically sound. '
Auto 1 Group
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG)
Deutsche Invest Capital Partners GmbH
ECM Equity Capital Management
EQT Partners AB
FC Bayern München AG
H.C. Starck Group
H.I.G. European Capital Partners GmbH
Philipp Lahm Holding
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
The Carlyle Group
- Sartorius AG: Tax advice in connection with the $ 750 million acquisitions of select life science platform companies from Danaher.
- The Carlyle Group, Blackstone Group Inc. und CPPIB: Advice on tax law in connection with the proposed billion-dollar acquisition of ThyssenKrupp's elevator business.
- NuCom Group: Advice on tax law to the joint venture between ProSiebenSat.1 and General Atlantic on the agreement to take over the US online dating and social entertainment company The Meet Group.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP's tax team is led by Gottfried Breuninger, who also heads the global tax practice and offers clients many years of experience in corporate and international tax law. Alongside this, he puts another focus on tax audits and tax litigation, where he predominately acts for banks. This expertise is not least demonstrated in the team's work on cum-ex and cum-cum transactions and associated internal investigations. Other regular work includes tax law matters pertaining to M&A and capital market transactions alongside financing, and is carried out for financial institutions, corporates and private equity firms. Investment fund sector players also benefit from the practice's investment tax expertise that flows into advice on fund structuring and fund investments.
' The team is efficient, has excellent skills and a high level of expertise in real estate tax matters. '
' Heike Weber is a very good consultant who always gets to the point. She is very familiar with all German tax issues and is always available. '
Deutsche Bank AG
Friede Springer und Mathias Döpfner
IGIS Asset Management und Hana Financial Investment
Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen (Helaba) Bestandsmandant
Zurich Insurance Plc
Riverside Europe Partners LLC
Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd.
Great West Lifeco Inc. (Canada Life Gruppe)
Swiss Life Gruppe
Zurich Insurance Plc Bestandsmandant
Hamburger Gesellschaft für Vermögens- und Beteiligungsmanagement (HGV)
- Friede Springer and Mathias Döpfner: Tax advice in connection with the public takeover of Axel Springer SE by KKR (including the delisting offer in 2020).
- Gerry Weber International AG: Tax advice to the fashion manufacturer and retailer in connection with its restructuring.
- TUI AG: Advising on one of the largest transactions in the cruise business on key tax law issues.
Baker McKenzie focuses on corporate tax planning, transfer pricing and VAT alongside tax disputes and tax law matters arising from transactions and reorganisations. The last-mentioned segment received a boost with the arrival of Thomas Gierath, previously at Reed Smith, who joined the firm's Munich office in January 2020. This counters the departure of Norbert Mückl, who was previsouly the only partner based in Munich and moved to Streck Mack Schwedhelm in May 2019. Christoph Becker and Thomas Schänzle, who jointly head the practice from Frankfurt, also specialise in transactional tax law alongside international tax planning, while Schänzle also regularly takes the lead on major group restructurings. Jana Fischer, who made partner in July 2020, is a key contact for court and out-of-court tax disputes. Alongside corporates, the team's client base includes private equity firms and financial institutions.
' As part of a divestment, Baker McKenzie drafted the tax clause and negotiated it with the acquirer. The link between tax and legal worked very well, and the lawyers responsible for M&A and corporate law also had a high level of understanding and sensitivity for tax issues. '
' Very good at strategic tax advice. Very qualified support in the M&A process. '
' Great customer service – very knowledgeable, thoughtful and responsive. '
' Thomas Schänzle is technically very competent and personally a very pleasant business partner! '
' I mainly work with Jana Fischer and Christoph Becker, who were very helpful. Their professional skills combined with solution orientation make them very good consultants. In addition, their pleadings are of high quality. '
Evonik Industries AG
Air Liquide S.A.
Dätwyler Holding AG
BNP Paribas S.A. Niederlassung Deutschland
Provinzial NordWest Holding AG
Deutsche Hospitality Ltd.
- German insurance company: Advising on the merger of two large municipal insurance companies, one of the largest mergers on the German insurance market in 2020.
- German joint venture in the energy sector: Advising on a major pre-IPO restructuring project. The team covered accompanying transfer pricing issues and supported the client in designing a new global transfer pricing system.
- Evonik: Tax advice in connection with the outsourcing of the Plexiglas business and the subsequent sale of the group of companies that operates the Plexiglas business by way of a share deal.
Hengeler Mueller's strength lies in advising corporates and family businesses on transaction-related tax law alongside traditional corporate tax law. This approach was underlined with the partner appointment of Markus Ernst in January 2020, who, alongside tax law issues pertaining to transactions, restructurings and financings also handles tax audits and contentious proceedings; he shares this specialism with Matthias Scheifele. Other key individuals include Stefanie Beinert, who deals with restructuring and succession issues, and transaction tax expert Martin Klein.
küffner maunz langer zugmaier
Boutique küffner maunz langer zugmaier enjoys a particularly good reputation for VAT and customs law, including matters at this particular intersection, which are frequently embedded in a criminal law environment. Consequently, this expertise not only leads to a steady flow of advisory mandates but also to regular instructions to represent companies in criminal tax and fiscal court proceedings. Accordingly, name partner and practice head Thomas Küffner provides clients, most notably non-profit organisations and the public sector, with wide-ranging advice on VAT law, including associated proceedings before tax authorities and fiscal courts. He also assists companies and large institutions with the implementation of tax compliance systems.
Latham & Watkins LLP specialises in transactional tax, advising companies, private equity funds and financial institutions on national and international matters. In the international space in particular, the team benefits from the capacities of the firm's global network, which means the practice is well placed to provide assistance with national and international tax structures. This is also the focus of practice head Stefan Süß, who regularly advises on private equity and financing structures alongside fund structuring and fund set-ups.
' Very high customer focus, in-depth specialist knowledge combined with a very patient personality make it very easy to work with Stefan Süß. On the way to decision-making, many ideas or options can be introduced, which are discussed and weighed up extensively. The final output is always to the point and can be communicated very specifically to both the customer and the other stakeholders. '
' I have never experienced better content-related, collaborative and goal-oriented project work. '
Consortium of Banks
CVC Capital Partners
DPE Deutsche Private Equity
EQT Partners // OMERS
Prüftechnik Dieter Busch AG
The Carlyle Group
- EQT Partners/ OMERS: Advice on tax law issues relating to the takeover of Deutsche Glasfaser.
- Syndicate banks: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the planned spin-off and listing of Siemens Energy.
- Stirling Square Capital Partners beratener Fonds: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the sale of the shares in the Cartonplast Group to Deutsche Beteiligungs AG. DBAG Fund VII, advised by DBAG, will acquire a majority stake in Cartonplast as part of a management buyout (MBO).
POELLATH's tax work is tailored to fit around its key areas of expertise in transactions and asset management, making the practice particularly adept at providing advice on tax-optimised private equity structures and on the structuring of various funds, as well as at advising national and international investors on real estate transactions. In other work, the team supports high-net-worth individuals in the structuring and management of their assert portfolios. Tax consultant Michael Best is a key contact for this client group but he also frequently acts for private equity funds. As another key member of the team, Hardy Fischer has a specialism in transactional tax and tax structuring and is frequently called upon to assist with large-scale real estate transactions. In May 2020, Pia Dorfmüller joined Dentons' Frankfurt office, where she advises on international tax law and tax structuring, among other matters.
Other key lawyers:
Maxburg Capital Partners
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
Allianz Global Investors
ECE Real Estate
Heatbeat Labs und Flying Health
- ZBI Fondsmanagement AG: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the acquisition of the BGP Group including the takeover of around 16,000 residential and commercial units by the ZBI Group.
- Deutsche Beteiligungs AG: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the first closing of DBAG Fund VIII with capital commitments of € 1 billion.
- Global family business in the food sector: Advice in connection with the corporate structure and ongoing taxation (including income tax, gift tax, foreign tax law, social insurance).
The team at CMS receives regular instructions from national and international companies to assist with transactions, most notably in the energy, real estate, telecommunications and IT sectors, which are handled in cooperation with the corporate and M&A teams. Corporate and group taxation work constitutes another central pillar, leading to regular compliance-related mandates and instructions on restructurings and reorganisations. Practice head Heino Büsching has a specialism in these two core segments. In addition to matters at the corporate and transactional interface, the practice also covers matters at the investment law intersection. Tillman Kempf is a key contact for this space, where typical mandates include the structuring of high-volume funds, most notably real estate and renewable energy funds, as well as advising asset owners on the set-up of fund structures. Its offering also includes assistance in disputes with tax authorities.
Other key lawyers:
Dentons' German tax team is an integral part of the European tax practice led by Michael Graf together with the Paris office and is divided into various expert lines. Graf puts his focus on international group law, advising corporations and private equity funds, but he also assists clients with tax audits, opposition proceedings and proceedings before fiscal courts. In corporate and group tax law, the team received a boost with the arrival of Pia Dorfmueller from POELLATH in June 2020, and with the arrival of of counsel and Commerzbank's former head of tax Stefan Korten in October 2020. Transactional tax law constitutes another cornerstone of the practice together with advising insurance companies on tax law matters pertaining to W&I and special tax insurance policies. Berlin office managing partner Stephan Busch heads the German tax team and covers various matters at the interface between tax and corporate law.
Berliner Wasserbetriebe Nein
BNP Paribas Real Estate Investment Management GmbH Ja
BVV Versicherungsverein des Bankgewerbes a. G. Nein
Deutsche Vermögensberatung AG Nein
Deutscher Sparkassen und Giroverband Nein
Dual Specialty M&A GmbH Nein
Franger Investment KGaA Nein
Katz Group Ja
KKR/Calsonic Kansei Nein
KPS Capital Partners
S Broker AG & Co KG
Tokyo Marine HCC
Volkswagen Financial Services
- Numerous insurance companies including AIG, Beazley, Dual, Riskpoint and Tokyo Marine HCC: Tax advice on 162 W&I and special tax policies.
- KPS Capital Partners: Advising the private equity firm on tax law issues relating to the takeover of Life Fitness and the Glasgow-based company Howden.
- BNP Paribas Real Estate Investment Management GmbH: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the sale of the Media Tower in Düsseldorf.
Working in close conjunction with various practice groups, Gleiss Lutz's tax law practice has a strong profile for advising large companies and PE firms on restructurings, transactions and compliance projects. Practice head Stefan Mayer dedicates much of his time to transactional work as well as to mandates at the restructuring interface, while Johann Wagner, as another key contact for this type of work, frequently handles real estate transactions but also advises public sector bodies, mostly from the healthcare sector, on a wide range of tax law matters such as VAT. In compliance, the practice continues to deal with cum-ex transactions and assists financial institutions with related issues. The team is also experienced in corporate succession planning.
'' Profound know-how, speed, availability, professionalism. '
' Top expertise in transactions and complex restructuring, very service-oriented. '
' Gleiss Lutz is a very good address for complex legal issues, restructuring and M&A projects. '
' Stefan Mayer: High technical competence, always sees the interfaces to other areas of law and gives a very balanced risk assessment .'
' When it comes to complex restructuring, Alexander Werder takes full account of entrepreneurial aspects. '
- Robert Bosch: Advice on tax law aspects with regard to the global carve-out and sale of your packaging division as part of a bidding process.
- Senvion: Advising on tax law issues relating to the sale of the European onshore service business and the rotor blade production facility in Portugal to the German-Spanish group Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy.
- Funds managed by investors Robus and Whitebox: Advice on tax law aspects relating to a binding investment agreement and a restructuring concept in the context of insolvency proceedings under self-administration by Gerry Weber International AG.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's tax advice focuses on issues arising from financing, ECM, DCM, M&A and real estate transactions as well as from group restructurings. Heiko Gemmel is a key contact for this type of work, while senior consultant Michael Dettmeier frequently advises on fund structuring. Both are based in Düsseldorf, while Ingmar Dörr heads the Munich office and, besides transactional matters, handles tax disputes and compliance issues.
Noerr's practice jointly headed by Carsten Heinz and tax advisor Georg Edelmann pursues a full-service approach and focuses on advising medium-sized and multinational companies as well as international funds and international institutions on tax-optimised financing and group-wide restructurings alongside M&A and real estate transactions. These matters are handled in close cooperation with various practice groups, which means that the team is well placed to handle instructions at the interface of investment and capital market law. This offering is complemented by expertise in tax audits and court proceedings.
- active SG: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the recapitalization of your Fund III.
- Leading hotel search engine: Advice on tax law aspects relating to various reorganizations of the group of companies in the form of cross-border outsourcing; In addition, advice on the share swap to optimize the group tax rate, taking into account the US tax reform with regard to BEAT.
- Emeram Capital: Comprehensive legal and tax advice on the acquisition of a majority stake in a leading project service provider in the field of digital transformation.
Streck Mack Schwedhelm
The key strength of tax law boutique Streck Mack Schwedhelm lies in representing clients, including private clients, corporates, clubs and associations, in disputes with tax authorities, as well as in handling criminal tax law issues and preventive compliance matters. Martin Wulf and Jörg Alvermann, who combines his expertise in tax law with that in sports law, are among the key members of the team, which was strengthened by the arrival of Norbert Mückl from Baker McKenzie in July 2019. He is particularly well versed in tax contract drafting in the context of restructurings and corporate transactions.
DLA Piper has corporate tax at its core and puts particular emphasis on transaction tax, international tax, transfer pricing, indirect tax, compliance and tax investigations; a spectrum that is routinely handled in cooperation with various other practices and offices. Practice head Marie-Theres Rämer is a key contact for tax aspects arising from financings and real estate transactions. Her team, and its transfer pricing capabilities in particular, received a boost with the arrival of Ulf Andresen and his team from PwC in October 2019. He covers a wide range of tax law and also assists clients with tax audits and requests for mutual agreement procedures under the double taxation agreement (DTA) and the EU Arbitration Convention.
Other key lawyers:
Ulf Andresen; Björn Enders
‘ Great flexibility to cater to the needs and special framework conditions of the client. ‘
” Intensive cooperation with Ulf Andresen: Extremely strong technical competence and industrial experience combined with a very distinctive team spirit. ‘
” Extremely qualified tax partners – best tax work compared to competitors. ‘
‘ Marie-Theres Rämer – absolutely outstanding in terms of tax knowledge; strong industry focus; extremely happy with working on a wide variety of projects. ‘
Allianz Real Estate
Guala Closures Group
JDA Software, Inc.
- Joint venture consisting of Allianz Real Estate and a fund managed by Universal-Investment of the Bavarian Chamber of Supply (BVK): Advice on tax law aspects relating to the acquisition of the Edge East Side Berlin project.
- JDA Software, Inc.: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the takeover of Blue Yonder GmbH.
- PassportCard: Advice on all questions of VAT and insurance tax in connection with market entry in Germany and continental Europe.
The team at McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP is led by Dirk Pohl, who advises clients on international tax and group tax law and provides assistance with criminal tax proceedings and compliance matters.
Other key lawyers:
' We have been working with McDermott for more than 20 years, although we have also engaged other well-known law firms at times, we have stayed with McDermott. The tax team is just big enough that I can be sure that I know who is working on our case. The quality of the advice is consistently excellent. '
' Global network and very deep and broad expertise. Full service. '
Oppenhoff advises its client base including companies and private clients on the tax structuring of M&A transactions and restructurings alongside international tax law and transfer pricing matters. Key contacts for this broad array of matters include team head Axel Bödefeld and Marc Krischer, who was elevated to the partnership in January 2020. Both are also well equipped to guide clients through tax audits alongside court and out-of-court proceedings. Private clients also receive advice on succession planning and other related matters.
' Responsible partners who are fully involved in every project and topic; very committed and client-oriented, available at any time, excellent specialist knowledge, fighting spirit, creative ideas, assertive, well connected and always at the forefront politically. '
' Axel Bödefeld: Deep down in every topic, very committed, extremely proactive advice, creative solutions, knowledge of authorities and those responsible, very practice-oriented, technically excellent, maintains very close client contact, knows every mandate very well. '
' Marc Krischer: Technically excellent, far-sighted, includes all legal and tax areas, very practical solutions and suggestions, very committed and reliable, short response times. '
Benckiser Holding / JAB
Johnson & Johnson
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Avenga Germany GmbH
DuMont Media Group
Zurich Gruppe Deutschland
- Benckiser Holding / JAB: Comprehensive advice on structuring and shaping asset preservation, investments and succession issues.
- Johnson & Johnson in Germany: Ongoing tax advice on numerous tax matters.
- Sebastian Vettel: Comprehensive advice on various tax issues.
White & Case LLP's German tax practice is firmly embedded in the firm's global group as evidenced by practice head Bodo Bender, who has also been heading the firm's EMEA tax group since 2019. As a result of this, the team is well placed to handle cross-border and multidisciplinary mandates with a focus on matters at the intersection between tax law, corporate, M&A, finance and capital markets. This results in regular instructions on the tax structuring of capital market, M&A and PE transactions including associated financing. This offering is complemented by expertise in tax audits and disputes before fiscal courts.
College Pension Plan of British Columbia (CPP)
Deutsche Lufthansa Aktiengesellschaft
Tradegate Exchange GmbH
Consus Real Estate AG
Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (LBBW)
ADO Properties S.A.
IK Investment Partners
ACCENTRO Real Estate AG
Qatar Investment Authority
Strategic Value Partners
- College Pension Plan of British Columbia (CPP): Successful representation of the Canadian pension fund in a tax dispute before the European Court of Justice (ECJ). In the dispute between the CPP and the Munich III tax office, the ECJ ruled that pension funds from non-EU countries should not be placed in a worse position in terms of income tax than EU funds.
- Japanese fine chemical company DIC Corp. and US subsidiary Sun Chemical Corp.: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the takeover of BASF's global pigment business – BASF Colors & Effects (BCE).
- LANXESS: Advising the specialty chemicals group on tax law issues relating to the sale of its 40% stake in the chemical park operator Currenta to a fund managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA).
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek focuses on work at the interface between corporate law and the transactional space, which reflects the expertise of Marion Sangen-Emden and Marc Scheunemann, who jointly head the practice. Thus, national and international companies, investors and funds routinely instruct the team to assist with tax law matters pertaining to M&A and PE transactions as well as reorganisations and restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
K&L Gates LLP
Key figures at K&L Gates LLP's team include Rainer Schmitt, who specialises in the tax structuring and implementation of cross-border investments, reorganisations and financings, and Karsten Seidel, who advises entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals on wealth and succession planning.
Its multidisciplinary set-up enables Kantenwein Zimmermann Spatscheck & Partner to provide companies and individuals with wide-ranging advice on international tax and on matters at the interface of corporate law. The practice is also experienced in inheritance tax law and known for its capabilities handling criminal tax law work. Tax advisor Gerhard Widmayer heads the practice.
' Tax expertise that encompasses not only academic penetration but also practical implementation / enforcement .'
' Sven Ceranowski: A careful, precise working partner who delivers perfect work without frills and ensures intelligent solutions. '
- Trading company: Advice on the acquisition of a group of companies; Tax advice on the structure, worth over € 100 million.
- Press company: Advice on tax law aspects relating to restructuring; Value over € 50 million.
Norton Rose Fulbright demonstrates particular expertise handling tax law matters arising from transactions, reorganisations, restructurings and financings, as well as in international tax law, while the team has also carved out a niche in warranty & indemnity (W&I) tax risk insurance. Practice co-heads Tino Duttine and Uwe Eppler are among the key contacts for both insurance-related work and transactional matters. The team's client portfolio includes insurance companies, corporates, asset managers and, increasingly, real estate sector players. The last-mentioned group receives regular real estate-related tax law advice.
' Big team with many experts. Always responsive and with a commercial approach. '
'In- depth knowledge combined with a practical approach. '
' Tino Duttiné is a very experienced partner. The cooperation with him is excellent and he always takes time for the concerns of his clients. '
' Uwe Eppler has in-depth knowledge that he combines with a practical approach that leads to solutions. '
AIG Europe S.A.
Ambridge Europe GmbH & Co. KG
Bernard Krone Holding SE & Co. KG
Dutch pensions funds APG and PGGM
HanseMerkur Grundvermögen AG
RDI REIT P.L.C.
REAL I.S. AG
Signal Iduna Holding AG
Standard Chartered Bank
Tenova S.p.A./LOI Thermprocess GmbH
Warburg-HIH Invest Real Estate
Wealthcap Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft mbH
Wyelands Capital Limited
- HanseMerkur insurance: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the largest real estate deal in Hamburg in 2019 with a complex financing and purchase option structure.
- RDI REIT PLC: Advice on tax law issues relating to the sale of the silver portfolio, which was held in a complex cross-border structure and joint venture.
- Tenova SPA / LOI Thermprocess GmbH: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the sale of a plant manufacturer with locations in Germany, France and China to a Chinese investor, including the upstream cross-border restructuring of the group of companies.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP advises national and international groups and investment companies on the structuring of cross-border acquisitions and disposals, including tax financing structures, as well as on reorganisation-related tax issues. These mandates often raise complex issues pertaining to VAT and transfer pricing and are routinely led by practice head Johannes Frey. In the transactional space, the team has special expertise in real estate transactions and REITs. Handling international tax audits is also part of its offering.
' In the law firm we were looked after by Johannes Frey and his team. It's a small but very effective team. We particularly liked how quickly the lawyers respond to inquiries and that you have immediate contact with the lawyers involved. We experienced Skadden as a law firm that specializes in highly complex legal issues. From discussions we have gained the impression that other clients also turn to Skadden when it comes to difficult legal problems. '
' We saw Johannes Frey as a very experienced lawyer. We have especially learned to appreciate his ability to quickly familiarize himself with very complex topics. Both the availability of Mr. Frey and the speed with which he deals with legal issues is outstanding. '
The SCP Group
I Squared Capital
Spencer Stuart Inc.
CPI International, Inc.
Viking River Cruises Inc.
Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners AG
Joyson Safety Systems (former Key Safety Systems Inc.)
The Coca-Cola Company
alstria office REIT-AG
- Coty Inc.: Advising the US cosmetics group on tax law issues relating to the sale of 60% of the Wella group to the private equity investor KKR.
- The SCP Group: Advice on tax law aspects relating to the acquisition of 100% of the real Group from METRO AG with a transaction volume of € 1.2 billion.
- Colfax Corporation: Advice in connection with the sale of the Howden Group including tax law aspects.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP specialises in advising national and international investment companies, corporates and private equity funds on the tax structuring of private equity and M&A transactions. While the focus of practice head Tobias Geerling lies on these core areas, he also advises clients on restructuring and succession issues and represents them in tax disputes before tax courts, including the Federal Tax Court. Ludger Kempf, who specialises in transactional tax work, joined Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP as counsel in July 2020.
' Strong commitment to the customer, full availability and commitment from the team. Top-class advice. '
' Personal advice that goes one step further. Resources are used wisely, which leads to differentiated solutions. '
HPS Investment Partners
Joint Special Administrators of MF Global UK Ltd.
- KKR: Tax advice on the acquisition of a majority stake in the German FinTech company heidelpay (Heidelberger Payment GmbH) from AnaCap Financial Partners.
- Upfield Group: Tax advice on the acquisition of Arivia SA, owner of the VIOLIFE brand.
- Apax Digital: Advice on investing in the SaaS provider Signavio as part of a Series C financing round.
GSK Stockmann's tax advisory services are tailored around the needs arising from transactions, most notably in the real estate sector, as well as around tax law matters pertaining to fund structures and tax disputes. Practice co-heads Petra Eckl and Dirk Koch are key figures in this space. Other areas of expertise include international tax and tax compliance.
” Highly professional and quick assistants. ‘
GPEP GmbH/HANSAINVEST Hanseatische Investment-GmbH
AXA Investment Management Real Estate
Rasmala Investment Bank, Dubai / Gulf Islamic Investments, Dubai
Invesco Real Estate
Deutsche Finance Group
Art-Invest Real Estate
- GPEP GmbH / HANSAINVEST Hanseatische Investment-GmbH: Advice in connection with the acquisition of a large retail real estate portfolio with 68 assets throughout Germany, including tax law aspects.
- AXA Investment Management Real Estate: Advice in connection with the sale of the Die Welle project in Frankfurt, including various sales tax, trade tax and investment law issues.
- Rasmala Investment Bank, Duba / Gulf Islamic Investments: Advice in connection with the sale of two large logistics centers in Dortmund to two different South Korean investors, including tax law aspects.
Working in close conjunction with various other practice groups and offices across its network, Jones Day is particularly active in national and international M&A transactions and restructurings and advises on the taxation of derivatives and securitisations. This corresponds to the focus of practice head Klaus Herkenroth, who also advises on the tax aspects of fund structuring and the structuring of real estate investments. Florian Lechner is a key contact for tax audits and tax disputes. Clients include financial services providers, corporate groups and real estate sector players.
Other key lawyers:
Reynolds American Inc.
StepStone Group LP
DBAG (Deutsche Beteiligungs AG)
Koch Industries Inc
- Reynolds American Inc.: Advising tax law on pending litigation to sell the international rights to the Natural American Spirit brand name and associated trademarks for $ 5 billion.
- Exide Technologies: Advising one of the world's largest providers of energy storage models to the automotive and industrial markets on a $ 1.1 billion bond issue in connection with a major global refinancing and recapitalization transaction.
- PolyOne Corporation: Tax advice on the $ 1.5 billion acquisition of Clariant's global color and additive masterbatch business.
SMP' clients benefit from the close ties between the tax practice and the strong funds team, which enables the practice to advise financial investors, funds and start-ups on fund and investment structuring alongside transactions. Providing advice on the structuring of crypto-based assets also falls within the scope of the practice. In this space, Stefan Richter is a key contact for the tax planning of token-based business models but he also provides regular transactional assistance, while Andreas Kortendick advises high-net-worth individuals, family offices and companies on various taxation and tax structuring issues. Transaction law expert Malte Bergmann made partner in January 2020.
7 Global Capital
APX by Axel Springer & Porsche
Top Tier Capital Partners
- KKA Partners: Tax advice to the MidCap PE fund on structuring the first fund and on the acquisition of EVAGO.
- Deutsche Telekom Capital Partners (DTCP): Comprehensive advice to the Hamburg investment manager; Most recently advice on the launch of his new generation of funds for venture and growth capital including tax law aspects.
- e.ventures: Advising the venture capital firm on the launch of its sixth generation of funds for early-stage investments with a total volume of $ 400 million including tax issues.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons has fund taxation at its core, which is routinely handled for asset managers and investors in the context of fund structuring and investment support. In this space, clients benefit from the combined advice on supervisory and tax law in particular. Assistance with tax law matters pertaining to real estate transactions forms another central pillar of the team's work, which is also provided to investors. These areas of expertise are reflected in the team's leads: Heiko Stoll focuses on the tax structuring of acquisition and real estate finance, while Bernulph von Crailsheim has a specialism in fund structuring. Tax disputes and criminal tax law issues are handled by Sascha Kuhn.
Other key lawyers:
' The team consistently offers excellent service, relevant industry knowledge and good tax reports. The team is characterized by reliability, experience, a good price-performance ratio, availability and short response times. '