Allen & Overy LLP’s lawyer team excels at handling complex cases that involve commercial, corporate, finance, regulatory and criminal issues. The practice is particularly strong in the banking and financial sector where it advises on many high-profile cases such as two of France’s first class actions or the appeal proceedings launched by consumer association UFC-Que Choisir against the team's client BNP Paribas, securing a victory for the client. The caseload overall is diverse and also includes high-stakes private enforcement and exequatur proceedings as well as international disputes, especially those involving African jurisdictions. The group counts a number of precedent-setting matters among its cases, for example the victory it obtained for client Alcatel in first instance proceedings brought by ABC Arbitrage in which, for the first time in France, the court ruled that ADR holders should not be assimilated to shareholders of a company. Denis Chemla and Erwan Poisson co-head the practice alongside Dan Benguigui who was promoted partner in May 2020.
Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in France
Allen & Overy LLP
Denis Chemla; Erwan Poisson; Dan Benguigui
‘Very high responsiveness and very sharp including in the context of the Covid 19 crisis.’
‘Erwan Poisson is a very efficient lawyer who is particularly familiar with the issues of business litigation, its dynamics and the highly regulated energy sector.’
- Representing BNP Paribas in the first class action in the financial sector initiated before French Courts by consumer association UFC-Que Choisir.
- Assisting French T&T company Alcatel Lucent with proceedings brought before the Commercial Court of Evry by a company specialised in setting up arbitrage strategies on financial markets.
- Representing CASIL Europe, as shareholder of ATB, in a dispute related to the validity of this privatisation process and the acquisition by CASIL Europe of its stake in ATB from the State in 2015.
The largest French and international corporations turn to Bredin Prat for their most complex and high-stakes cases. The team managing a busy caseload, spanning high-profile commercial, financial, corporate and industrial matters. It is particularly excellent at dealing with shareholder conflicts and M&A-related cases, with a number of outstanding M&A transactions in the portfolio. In the commercial field, the practice is regularly involved in disputes directly opposing leading corporations. The practice also acts in high-stakes cases that require expertise in complex regulatory and commercial issues, with its defence work for Airbnb in lawsuits initiated before French commercial courts by the City of Paris and hotel industry players, which gave rise to a referral to the European Court of Justice, a prime example. Insolvency-related cases are also taken on. The practice is co-headed by Jean-Daniel Bretzner, Florian Bouaziz, Sébastien Prat and Eve Duminy.
Jean-Daniel Bretzner; Florian Bouaziz; Sébastien Prat; Eve Duminy
‘The firm is an undisputed heavyweight player in the Paris litigation scene. We have been impressed by the depth of their analysis. The firm is well equipped to handle complex cross-border cases as well.’
‘Partner Florian Bouaziz is a great commercially-minded lawyer. The team of senior associates Romain Dethomas and Samuel Daniau is equally great.’
Rothschild & Co
- Representing Covéa in the context of both civil and criminal actions.
- Assisting Airbnb with several legal actions initiated before French commercial courts by Paris City Hall and key hotel industry players.
- Defending Foncia in a class action (‘action de groupe’) initiated by UFC Que Choisir against Foncia.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton handles a high-profile caseload, acting for the largest French and international banks and corporations. The team deals with a wide range of challenging cases, spanning commercial, corporate, financial and criminal disputes. It recently obtained the complete withdrawal of claims initiated by Foncière Euris (Casino Group) against its client Société Générale in a dispute relating to the termination of a derivative instrument concerning Rallye’s shares. In the context of the Yellow Vest protests and the Covid-19 outbreak, the team acted for Canal Plus in several high-stakes commercial disputes with the Ligue de football professionnelle surrounding major financial losses. Jean-Yves Garaud is highly regarded, as is counsel Delphine Michot. Senior attorney Aude Dupuis is also recommended
Other key lawyers:
Aude Dupuis; Delphine Michot
‘The litigation team, allied to the competition team, has very fine expertise in competition litigation (abuse of a dominant position, sudden termination, etc.). What sets Cleary apart from other law firms is above all the dedication to clients (weekends, holidays, public holidays – they are always present if necessary), it is also the intellectual fire power of its partners and associates.’
‘Delphine Michot distinguished herself by her quick wit, her ability to immediately understand technical subjects and her impressive pleading skills.’
William Saurin (Bondholders of Agripole)
- Assisting Google with four follow-on damages actions brought respectively by LeGuide.com, M6 Web, Twenga and Acheter Moins Cher before the Commercial Court of Paris.
- Representing Société Générale in a dispute relating to the termination of a derivative instrument with Foncière Euris (Casino Group) relating to Rallye shares, as a consequence of the restructuring of the Casino group, securing the complete withdrawal of the claims against Société Générale.
- Representing Nissan in connection with claims relating to Nissan former CEO Carlos Ghosn.
Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier deals with a large variety of challenging cases. The practice is particularly recognised for its ability to handle complex M&A and shareholder disputes, but the group also handles high-stakes commercial litigation for leading corporations. Recently, several leading pharmaceutical companies instructed the firm to assist with high-profile class action product liability proceedings pertaining to pharmaceutical drugs and vaccines. Practice co-heads Jean-Michel Darrois, Emmanuel Brochier and Cyril Bonan rank among the Paris’ bar most renowned figures. Also involved are Matthieu Brochier, Nicolas Mennesson, Julie Pasternak who made partner in 2020, and of counsel François de Bérard.
Jean-Michel Darrois; Emmanuel Brochier; Cyril Bonan
Other key lawyers:
Matthieu Brochier; Nicolas Mennesson; Julie Pasternak; François de Bérard
‘Very high personal commitment from the partners; high responsiveness; not afraid to contradict the client.’
Royal Bank of Scotland (Natwest)
Matra Défense (Airbus’ subsidiary)
NHIS (Financial institution – South Korea)
- Representing bioMérieux in an important class action on the grounds of liability for defective products.
- Advising Bouygues in front of the Appeal Court in a €718m claims against Free.
Orrick Rambaud Martel’s highly experienced team is able to deal with a broad range of highly challenging cases. Leading French and international corporations frequently instruct the firm, notably for high-stakes disputes in relation to restructuring and insolvency cases that raise highly complex corporate and restructuring law issues. The team recently won a precedent-setting victory for client DNCA, the second largest shareholder of CGG, before the Supreme Court which ruled that minority bonds holders can only challenge safeguard proceedings before French courts in a very limited number of circumstances. The practice is also handling a good amount of commercial cases, including the headline-grabbing representation of SFR in launching a €2.8bn damage claim against Orange following an anti-competitive practice condemnation of the latter by the French Competition Authority. The practice is also well versed in dealing with shareholder conflicts and corporate director liability cases. Practice head Frédéric Lalance and market-leading senior figure Jean-Pierre Martel are well known in the field.
Other key lawyers:
‘This firm shows good initiative and provides good advice.’
‘Responsiveness and strength of proposal distinguish this firm from its competitors.’
Consortium de Réalisation
Etablissements Peugeot Frères
Production Resources Group
Rothschild & Cie
- Represented DNCA, a shareholder and bondholder in the listed company CGG, in a large restructuring dispute relating to CGG’S safeguarding plan.
- Represented Arcole Industries in securing the dismissal of almost €320m worth of claims brought by the judicial liquidator of Mory Ducros, the AGS (the French wage guarantee organisation), almost 1,000 former employees and two trade unions in relation to the insolvency of two of the client’s former subsidiaries, Mory Ducros and MoryGlobal.
- Acting for Diane Wildenstein Jr., heir of the internationally renowned family of art collectors, in the Supreme Court case to affirm a Paris Court of Appeal decision to dismiss a €500m tax fraud case.
Viguié Schmidt & Associés is among the top firms in France for companies, CEOs and investors facing major challenges. The team is sought-after for complex corporate dispute and shareholder conflicts involving listed and non-listed companies, and is equally solicited to deal with high-stakes commercial disputes. The practice manages a very impressive caseload, with a series of new high-profile matters arriving in 2020. Its representation of Renault in its highly publicised dispute with former CEO Carlos Ghosn and its instruction by AXA France IARD to defend it against a series of claims brought by French companies seeking indemnification for lost profits suffered as a result of the Covid-19 sanitary crisis, stand out. The firm is increasingly retained to handle cross-border and high-stakes exequatur cases, with recent victorias including groundbreaking success for the Libyan state when the Paris Court of Appeal cancelled a €452m arbitral sentence held against it by Sorelec. Yves Schmidt and Olivier Loizon are particularly recommended. Nicolas Viguié and Martin Donato are also key members.
Other key lawyers:
Yves Schmidt; Olivier Loizon; Nicolas Viguié; Martin Donato
‘Availability, great listening skills, great strategic advice.’
‘Yves Schmidt is one of the very best Parisian lawyers in this field. Excellent lawyer, excellent litigator, excellent tactician. He is an asset to have on your side and a challenge to have as an opponent.’
ORCO PROPERTY GROUP
SOCIETE NATIONALE DES PETROLES DU CONGO
- Representing Renault against its former CEO, Carlos Ghosn, in connection with Ghosn’s financial claims arisen from his departure from the company.
- Assisting the Société Nationale des Pétroles du Congo (the Republic of Congo’s State-owned national oil company) with the defence of claims worth in excess of €1bn brought by Commisimpex, a creditor of the Congolese State.
- Defending EDF Renouvelables in summary proceedings brought by a German investor in connection with the implementation of offshore wind projects worth more than €2bn each.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP is representing a large portion of France’s most prominent companiesm as well as many major international corporations and investment funds. Headed by Didier Malka, the practice handles a substantial and high-profile caseload that includes regular instructions to act in disputes pertaining to the market’s largest M&A transactions. The practice is also well versed in high-stakes commercial litigation. Significant insolvency and debt restructuring-related cases are another area of strength.
- Representing Lagardère in multiple proceedings against Amber Capital.
- Representing Hilton International in a dispute against the owner of a luxury hotel in Paris, SIHPM, in a contract dispute.
- Representing Casino Group in various strategic commercial matters.
BDGS Associés enjoys a strong reputation for corporate and shareholder conflict cases involving leading corporations, with a track record that includes some of France’s most sensitive cases. The team also has very good knowledge of French discovery procedures (article 145) and trade secret issues. Criminal law matters and matters involving international sanctions are further areas of expertise. Practice head Kyum Lee is highly recommended, as is Antoine Gosset-Grainville, who is regularly retained by banks to lead strategic cases before the CJEU.
Other key lawyers:
Clifford Chance's lawyer team is particularly active in commercial disputes, but is able to deal with a wide range of cases. The practice regularly acts for leading digital and traditional mass retailers involved in highly strategic disputes with suppliers and other brands. The practice also manages several commercial contract termination disputes, spanning a number of fields, including car leasing and hotel management. Finally, the team is also experienced in product liability cases, notably defending Pfizer in class-action type proceedings pertaining to one of its vaccines. Thomas Baudesson, Diego de Lammerville, Thibaud d’Alès and counsel Gaëlle Merlier co-head the practice.
Thomas Baudesson; Diego de Lammerville; Thibaud d’Alès; Gaëlle Merlier
‘The litigation team knows its job and has a great capacity to quickly analyse key intentions and purposes of a case. They listen to their clients and advise them, pointing out exactly what may or may not be done and chances of success. The team is very pragmatic and knows its topic very well. ’
‘Responsive, efficient, to the point; the law firm you wish to have on your side at all time.’
Ligue de Football Professionnel (“LFP”)
Cessna Citation European Service Center (“CCESC”)
Jacob Douwe Egberts (JDE)
Royal Bank of Scotland
- Representing LFP in the context of very sensitive commercial litigation initiated by Groupe Canal + (TV broadcaster) in relation to the financial consequences of the rescheduling of football games further to the ‘Yellow Vests’ movement.
- Representing Pfizer in a major quasi class-action in relation to its former vaccine Meningitec.
- Representing Carrefour in sensitive litigation initiated by the French Minister of the Economy for alleged anti-competitive behaviours.
Cohen & Gresser LLP
Headed by Loïc Henriot, Cohen & Gresser LLP‘s team is the advisor of choice for companies and shareholders to act in M&A litigation and shareholder disputes. The firm manages a large caseload in these areas and additionally represents former CEOs and other high-ranking executives in sensitive contract termination disputes. Highly strategic LBO matters and private enforcement proceedings following antitrust condemnationsare also included in the group's range of expertise.
‘Loïc Henriot’s team distinguished itself by its ability to analyse with great lucidity and speed the legal difficulties that its clients have to face, and to build the most relevant legal strategies.’
‘Loïc Henriot is a fine lawyer who handles legal proceedings with great foresight. His responsiveness and his ability to deliver paperwork within a very short time frame make him a valuable lawyer in matters of strategic importance.’
‘Cohen & Gresser is extremely agile and user-friendly in its approach, ensuring complex matters are handled in a timely and accurate manner. ’
‘Loïc Henriot is approachable, intelligent and hardworking. He has ensured success when it seemed very unlikely.’
‘Loïc Henriot is both a fine strategist in pre-litigation discussions and a robust and formidable lawyer in the event of legal disputes.’
Digicel Antilles Françaises Guyane
Mr. Pierre Pélissier & other managers
PHS SA & Mr. Yves Watelot
Mrs. Virginie Calmels
Flowbird SAS (f.k.a Parkeon SAS)
Ackermans & van Haaren NV
- Represented the joint liquidators of SICL in connection with a $25m court award against a French financial institution.
- Represented Mr. Pierre Pélissier and other managers of Cruiseline in connection with the enforcement of a SPA related to the sale of Cruiseline to Abénex (amount in dispute circa €100m).
- Co-represented PHS & Mr. Yves Vatelot in connection with a shareholder dispute against PMU regarding the control of PMU Partenaire (amount in dispute is circa €70m).
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP acts for a prominent French client base which includes leading luxury goods brands and mass retailers. The practice receives instructions for high-stakes commercial and corporate disputes, for example for the defence of brands and their reputation, major shareholder conflicts and commercial partnership disputes. The boards of companies appoint the group to assist with high-level governance issues. Contract termination disputes involving high-ranking executives are another area of strength. The highly experienced Georges Terrier and counsel Alexandre Vermynck, both in charge of the practice, are recommended.
Georges Terrier; Alexandre Vermynck
De Pardieu Brocas Maffei handles a wide range of cases, spanning commercial, corporate, banking and insolvency disputes in France and internationally. The group offers experience in advising on major private enforcement disputes involving antitrust condemnations, property-related proceedings involving leading property investment funds and developers, and on corporate litigation and shareholder disputes. Paul Talbourdet, Philippe Dubois, who heads the insolvency department, and Barbara Levy are the key contacts. Dominique Lefort is the key name for banking litigation, while Patrick Jaïs and Ségolène Coiffet assist with corporate and insolvency cases. Competition law partner Philippe Guibert also contributes.
Other key lawyers:
Philippe Dubois; Barbara Levy; Dominique Lefort; Patrick Jaïs; Ségolène Coiffet; Philippe Guibert
‘Very available team with great professionalism; able to tackle complex subjects immediately and very efficiently.’
‘High professionalism, responsiveness and skills. The first firm that goes beyond simple legal advice or drafting legal content; they do extensive research on the opposing party and do not expect the client to provide them with all the information. All the members of the team are available and attentive to the client. They will advise and inform the customer of the risks, but do not force its decision and choices. What sets this firm apart from others, in my opinion, is its desire to satisfy the client at all stages of the litigation and not just to collect fees.’
‘Very competent, rigorous and efficient lawyers; they are not only good ‘technicians’; they are also very pleasant interlocutors. They really collaborate with the client, exchange regularly. These people do not just deal with the matter in their own corner; the client participates in their reflections in order to find the best strategy.’
‘Barbara Levy: excellent analytical skills and ability to work effectively within a team.’
THE NORTH FACE INC.
COMPAGNIE EUROPEENNE DE CREDIT
- Advised SCI Iris La Défense (Generali Real Estate) in the context of a 3-party dispute with Bouygues Bâtiment Ile de France and Hines France.
- Advising VALEO on commercial disputes against suppliers or clients.
- Assisting MAN and Volkswagen with the private enforcement litigations initiated before the French Courts by some of their French clients., involving proceedings before the Commercial Courts, the Court of Appeal and French supreme court regarding the question of the communication of confidential data within the context of private enforcement litigation.
FTMS Avocats is able to deal with an impressive range of complex disputes. The firm is among the go-to practices for leading banks and asset managers facing mass liability claims in relation to the commercialisation of financial products. Cases regularly involve unprecedented issues concerning various financial products, including tax optimisation matters and investments in solar and real estate financial products. Marc Henry, who heads the practice with Cédric Fischer, is a key name in the field, as is Silvestre Tandeau de Marsac, who is notably involved in a highly significant case regarding the application of the ne bis in idem rule. The practice also deals with complex commercial and industrial litigation and has particular strong know-how in dealing with cases involving international law aspects. Mediation and arbitration proceedings are other key strengths of the team. Tristan Dupré de Puget are also excellent.
Cédric Fischer; Marc Henry
Other key lawyers:
Silvestre Tandeau de Marsac; Tristan Dupré de Puget
‘The team demonstrates high-level technique, responsiveness, availability, efficiency and adaptability. The lawyers, and particularly Cédric Fischer, have great writing and have great oratorical style.’
‘Great listening skills, competence and efficiency.’
‘High professionalism and success rate.’
American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
Banque Populaire Rives de Paris (BPRI)
Caisse d’Epargne Ile de France (CEIF)
Caisse d’Epargne Rhône-Alpes (CERA)
Caisse d’Epargne Loire Centre (CELC)
Caisse d’epargne normandie (CEN)
Banque populaire grand ouest (bpgo)
Banque populaire val de France (bpvf)
Banque populaire occitane (bpoccitane)
Banque populaire du sud (bpsud)
Banque populaire auvergne rhone alpes (bpaura)
Banque populaire alsace lorraine champagne (bpalc)
Banque populaire bourgogne franche-comté (bpbfc)
Banque populaire mediterannée (bpmed)
Banque de nouvelle caledonnie
Lloyds banking Group
European Investment Bank
- Assisted Alfyma Industrie with a commercial and construction dispute following a fire and explosion in a waste treatment plant in France.
- Assisted the Bauer family with a Nazi spoliation case following the 1943 looting of the collection of Simon Bauer, amongst which Pissarro’s painting ‘La Cueillette des Pois’, by the administrator of the Vichy government.
- Representing a group of 1245 Nicaraguan workers seeking the enforcement in the EU of a decision by Nicaraguan Courts awarding them approximately $1bn in damages due to their exposition to a harmful pesticide used by the defendant’s banana plantations in Nicaragua.
Gibson Dunn stands out with its ability to handle diverse cases, spanning commercial, corporate, securities and product liability issues. The practice is notably involved in several shareholder and commercial partnerships disputes. The litigation team, which also has leading expertise in the field of restructuring and insolvency proceedings, also handles high-stakes disputes that raise major corporate and securities issues in debt restructuring cases. Finally, the practice is also active in product liability and tort litigation, including a series of asbestos-related cases. Practice head Jean-Pierre Farges, Pierre-Emmanuel Fender and Eric Bouffard are highly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Pierre-Emmanuel Fender; Eric Bouffard
‘Exceptional availability and quality.’
‘Excellent knowledge of our activities and its challenges. Great creativity in approaching issues and resolving disputes.’
‘Jean-Pierre Farges and Eric Bouffard are definitely innovators in matters of litigation and arbitration. Difficult to do without them during difficult negotiations.’
P&O Short Sea Ferries Ltd
Vilmorin & Cie.
Tapie (receivers of Group Tapie insolvency)
Signature Aviation (formerly BBA Aviation)
Camaieu (CVC, Farallon & others)
- Assisting Consolis with a dispute with Debtwire/Mergermarket in relation to the unlawful publication of confidential information with respect to Consolis’ restructuring.
- Assisting the court appointed insolvency practitioners in connection with numerous proceedings with various entities related to Mr Bernard Tapie following their filing for safeguarding proceedings.
- Assisting independent pharmaceutical laboratories network LBI Développement with disputes against Biogroup which initiated successive takeover bids targeting members of the LBI network.
Laude Esquier Champey is a well-established independent litigation boutique. The firm acts for a diverse range of major SMEs and larger corporations and offers experience in strategic disputes involving public entities, shareholder conflicts, corporate and bankruptcy litigation. Finally, the firm also has solid expertise in insurance law and handles several key disputes regarding insurance coverage issues. Olivier Laude, Victor Champey, Richard Esquier and Nathalie Karpik co-head the practice.
Olivier Laude; Richard Esquier; Victor Champey; Nathalie Karpik
‘Great seriousness and exemplary professionalism. Strategic choices are clearly exposed to the client who is advised at all stages of the procedure. The team makes itself available to explain possible options to be taken. Excellent mastery of files.’
‘Excellent listening, professionalism and availability to explain the adopted strategy. The team knows how to perfectly expose issues and risks and offers adapted solutions. We are guided at all stages. Excellent writing skills.’
‘Olivier Laude has real expertise in commercial and corporate litigation. He bears the interests of the client in mind, beyond the simple management of the litigation. He is a very loyal practitioner.’
MGA ENTERTAINMENT INC
CARDIF LUX VIE
- Representing KERING and its subsidiary Yves Saint Laurent in six matters against Yves Saint Laurent’s former artistic manager Hedi Slimane.
- Advising and representing LAFARGE SA and LAFARGEHOLCIM in a dispute raised before the commercial court of Paris against its D&O insurer, AIG EUROPE Ltd, arisen from the ongoing criminal inquiry raised in France against LAFARGEHOLCIM and some of its former directors and employees regarding the Syrian activities of the company in 2014 and 2015.
Linklaters is able to deal with a broad range of disputes. The deep bench represents leading banks, corporations and investment funds and handles a high number of M&A and corporate litigation, including Covid-19 related disputes pertaining to price adjustment in M&A transactions. The practice was also involved in a heated dispute in the banking sector, a testament to its expertise in the financial services industry. Commercial litigation and insolvency-related cases are other areas of strength. Cross-border matters involving proceedings in African jurisdictions are a stand-out feature. Practice head Arnaud de La Cotardière and Jean-Charles Jaïs are the key contacts.
Arnaud de La Cotardière
Other key lawyers:
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP offers a versatile team that handles a highly varied caseload for the most prominent French and international companies, including leading names in the defence and aeronautics sectors. The team is traditionally recognised for its commercial litigation expertise and was recently involved in several Covid-19 related contract issues. The Paris team is also able to combine its strong domestic practice with the firm’s excellent US capabilities as illustrated recently when it acted alongside the New York office to represent ArianeEspace in the first Covid-19 Chapter 11-related case. Increasingly, the Parisian practice is the team of choice for high-stakes financial, securities and regulatory disputes, involving national and international proceedings. Google appointed the group as its representative in France’s first class action in relation to personal data compliance rules. Practice head Kami Haeri comes highly recommended. Counsel Benoît Javaux left in Autumn 2020 to join Squadra Avocats as a partner.
‘A highly responsive team, highly involved in matters in all their details.’
‘Outstanding in-depth support.’
- Advising Google on the first class action it is facing regarding personal data, in particular the application and interpretation of the GDPR.
- Advising Renault on the Carlos Ghosn case, involving international investigation and international compliance issues as well as the civil and criminal aspects.
- Advising the US investment fund Elliott Advisors UK Ltd (EAUK) and Elliott Capital Advisors LP (ECA) on an AMF (the French Financial Markets Authority) investigation concerning investments made by Elliott in Norbert Dentressangle’ securities and the corresponding declarations made by Elliott to the AMF and to the market.
Racine’s litigation practice draws on the firm’s corporate, competition and restructuring departments. The practice acts for many leading French corporations as well as international companies, with particularly strong expertise in corporate and shareholder conflicts. It recently represented one of the two key parties concerning one of France’s most high-profile M&A-related disputes. The caseload also includes several other high-level commercial and financial litigation cases, including major insolvency disputes. On the commercial side, the team acts for leading companies and commercial brands. Practice head Bruno Cavalié is well known. Also recommended are Antoine Diesbecq, Laurent Jourdan and Valérie Ledoux.
Other key lawyers:
Antoine Diesbecq; Laurent Jourdan; Valérie Ledoux
‘I call on Racine for sensitive matters for which I want to put all the odds on our side. The firm is very combative and often finds innovative and effective solutions.’
‘Bruno Cavalié is recommended for all types of corporate and commercial litigation, in particular related to M&A transactions, shareholders’ agreements, as well as criminal business law.’
‘No unnecessary mail or appointments. Ability to work in an emergency with serenity. The lawyers who write the conclusions are the ones who plead; thus, there is a mastery of the files, including in its most technical aspects. It is very reassuring for the client, and appreciated by the magistrate.’
‘In addition to their technical skills, the human qualities at Valérie Ledoux and Sophie Pasquesoone are remarkable.’
‘ Operational team that takes into account the economic context in order to provide advice best suited to the needs of its client.’
‘Valérie Ledoux and Sophie Pasquesoone show a very suitable approach and undeniable skills.’
‘A firm that is very close to its clients; very responsive; understanding of the needs; the team is is very quick and advice is always relevant.’
‘Valérie Ledoux and Bruno Cavalié are brilliant and always very insightful lawyers.’
- Advises SCOP Seafrance’s liquidator on several disputes with the Getlink Group (Eurotunnel Group) and the company DFDS.
- Advised Fides on liability mismanagement proceedings with the former administrators and management of Crédit Martiniquais.
- Assisting Kering with a dispute with a former services provider which accuses Kering of sudden termination of commercial relations.
Reinhart Marville Torre impresses with its deep bench. The team handles commercial litigation, M&A disputes and shareholder conflicts. The practice is retained by a prominent client base, including leading names from the retail and real estate sectors, as well as investment funds. The group manages a substantial caseload, including several major shareholders conflicts. It is also involved in several hard-fought unfair competition cases and a significant antitrust private enforcement case. Louis-Marie Absil, Antoine Dérot , Jérôme Marsaudon, Marc Susini and Jean Reinhart co-lead the practice. Counsel Myriam Ouabdesselam is also acknowledged.
Louis-Marie Absil; Antoine Dérot; Jérôme Marsaudon; Marc Susini; Jean Reinhart
Other key lawyers:
‘A responsive and pragmatic team that is attentive to the expectations of their clients.’
‘Counsel Myriam Ouabdesselam is very pragmatic and pugnacious; Antoine Dérot is imaginative and always attentive to the real needs of his clients.’
ROYALEMENT VOTRE EDITIONS
BKQ SERVICES (Groupe BURGER KING QUICK)
BNP PARIBAS FORTIS
BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
GOODYEAR DUNLOP TIRES FRANCE
MONDADORI Axel Springer
- Representing FC Nantes in proceedings before FIFA and CAS seeking specific performance of the transfer contract concluded with Cardiff FC concerning the deceased player Emiliano Sala.
Signature Litigation AARPI is the market’s go-to-firm for domestic and cross-border product liability cases. The firm handles a large and prominent caseload for leading industrial companies, including top cases in the aviation, automobile and electronics sectors, and recently a sensitive case concerning nuclear equipments. The team is also highly regarded for its know-how in defending companies against toxic tort claims and deals with a high amount of claims brought by employees regarding asbestos and other chemical substances In addition, the team also acts in a wide range of other disputes, including commercial litigation and financial product- related cases. Thomas Rouhette and Sylvie Gallage-Alwis co-head the practice. The arrival of the very promising Flore Poloni, who joined in Summer 2020 as partner from August Debouzy where she was a counsel, strengthened the team.
Thomas Rouhette; Sylvie Gallage-Alwis
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent expertise combined with the ability to explain idiosyncratic concepts of French jurisdiction to foreigners.’
‘Great ability to establish a strategy and a very clear, structured and impactful line of defense or attack, based on a real mastery of legislation and procedures. The team is attentive, available, very friendly, and provides unfailing follow-up to cases.’
‘Senior associate Claire Massiera and Thomas Rouhette show great professionalism and real availability. They approach cases with real intelligence, both intellectual and legal, making it possible to establish a strong strategy, integrating the various objectives and issues of the company.’
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Russian Insurance Deposit Agency (DIA)
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Representing Groupe Renault in the diesel emissions investigation carried out by the French authorities and the civil claims procedures filed against it in a number of European jurisdictions.
- Representing The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company as manufacturer in a complex claim brought by more than 500 French plaintiffs, examining the fear of developing a cancer as a result of alleged exposure to dozens of chemical substances.
- Representing the Russian Deposit Insurance Agency (DIA) in the enforcement in France of a €1.2bn Russian award against the oligarch Sergey Pugachev arising from the collapse of the Russian bank Mezhprombank.
White & Case LLP ’s team has great resources which allow it to deal with a broad range of matters. Practice head Philippe Métais is very active for leading banks as defendants in high-stakes class action type proceedings involving a very high number of claimants and pertaining to the commercialisation of financial products. BNP Paribas Personal Finance chose him as representative in civil and criminal proceedings in the Helvet Immo case concerning a portfolio of real estate loans granted in Swiss Francs which was recently heard by the European Court of Justice regarding abusive clauses. The impressive Diane Lamarche handles high-stakes shareholder conflicts and corporate litigation, regularly pertaining to major listed corporations. She also acts in sensitive insolvency and restructuring disputes. Competition and distribution partner Yann Utzschneider manages challenging consumer, commercial and economic law litigation, especially on behalf of major retailers and distributors in high-stakes disputes involving unfair competition, breach of contract and parasitism matters.
Other key lawyers:
Diane Lamarche; Yann Utzschneider
BNP Paribas Personal Finance
Alec Jr Wildenstein
Paul de Brancion & Co
- Advising BNP Paribas Personal Finance in relation to criminal and civil complaints filed by hundreds of plaintiffs concerning a portfolio of real estate loans granted in Swiss Francs.
- Representing Free Mobile, the French wireless service provider and part of the Iliad group, in the context of a class action initiated by UFC Que Choisir, the French consumer association, regarding an alleged breach of contract.
- Assisting Amber Capital with the management of its minority stakes in listed company Lagardère and the implementation of its shareholder rights since 2016, involving judicial proceedings between Amber Capital and Lagardère and/or holding companies of Mr. Arnaud Lagardère.
Leading French and international corporations turn to Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP for strategic corporate, commercial and company governance disputes, often involving high commercial and financial stakes. The team also acts for investment funds and high-ranking executives. It successfully represented Transdev before the Paris Court of First Instance in a dispute concerning SNCM’s partnership with STEF. The representation of Carl Bayard in initiating legal indemnification proceedings against LMBO, which was fined by the French Financial Market Authority (AMF), was another high-profile instruction. The team is co-headed by Dominique Mondoloni, who is highly regarded, and Grégoire Bertrou. Special European counsel Sophie-Jeanne Laroche is also involved.
Grégoire Bertrou; Dominique Mondoloni
Other key lawyers:
‘Dominique Mondoloni is one of the most talented litigators of his generation. He is very smart, acute and agile. His associate Alexis Bessis is very good, too.’
Agence Française de Développement
Merck Médication Familiale
Air France / Air France-KLM
- Advising the Agence Française de Développement on proceedings brought by creditors of foreign sovereigns regarding money paid by the Agency to those foreign sovereigns in aid packages.
- Advising Arkema on a class action brought against the company by over 250 employees and their unions in the context of the sale by Arkema to KemOne of one of its chemical production units in France.
- Represented Transdev, former shareholder of Société Nationale Maritime Corse Méditerranée (SNCM), in a dispute concerning SNCM’s partnership with STEF, a European leader for temperature-sensitive logistics.
Altana has strong litigation know-how and deals with a broad range of disputes, recently growing its already well established client portfolio further by adding several leading French corporations. The team demonstrates strength in corporate and M&A disputes, including several cases related to the Covid-19 outbreak, but it is particularly well known for its strong banking and insurance litigation expertise. The team also manages a busy high-stakes commercial caseload, with matters frequently involving foreign jurisdictions. The additional expertise in mediation proceedings complements the litigation offering well, as does the experience in high-profile product liability cases, for example in the pharmaceutical sector. Valérie Lafarge-Sarkozy and Julien Balensi are the practice heads, with Michel Jockey, Armand Aviges and Counsel Benjamin Dors as other key players.
Valérie Lafarge-Sarkozy; Julien Balensi
Other key lawyers:
Michel Jockey; Armand Aviges; Benjamin Dors
‘The lawyers are pragmatic and provide a long-term strategic vision over the files they have had to deal with.’
‘Julien Balensi is a talented lawyer who has mastered the strategic issues of the case and demonstrated pragmatism at the right time.’
CARDIF ASSURANCE VIE
MALAKOFF MEDERIC SERVICES
MMA VIE ASSURANCES MUTUELLES
- Assisting MMA VIE ASSURANCES MUTUELLES in a landmark dispute pending before the Commercial Court of Paris known as the ‘Crédit Martiniquais’ case.
- Representing Bouygues Telecom in an action for unfair competition initiated against it by a competitor before the Paris Commercial Court.
- Representing Renault in the context of a stand-alone private enforcement litigation initiated in April 2017 by one of its former service providers who designed a software to optimise the price of spare parts.
August Debouzy manages a substantial and varied caseload and acts primarily for leading French corporations, banks and financial institutions, often in unfair competition and breach of contract disputes against key competitors. The group increasingly receives instructions to manage high-stakes financial disputes, post-M&A disputes, shareholder conflicts and CEO revocation disputes, with a particularly strong caseload in the energy and investment fund sectors. Practice co-heads Marie Danis and Benjamin van Gaver and counsel Marie Valentini are the key practitioners. Former counsel Flore Poloni joined Signature Litigation AARPI as partner in the Summer 2020.
Marie Danis; Benjamin van Gaver
Other key lawyers:
‘Great team work.’
- Advising and representing Valeo in proceedings against its main competitor regarding acts of unfair competition.
Carbonnier Lamaze Rasle regularly acts for leading French and international banks in banking liability disputes involving civil and criminal proceedings. The firm also acts for many leading French companies and family-owned groups in commercial, corporate and bankruptcy-related cases. Co-founding partner Edouard de Lamaze heads the practice, which also includes: Jean-Hugues Carbonnier, Dorothée de Bernis, Fanny Desclozeaux, Jérôme Grand d’Esnon, Michel Rasle and criminal law expert Eric Morain.
Edouard de Lamaze
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Hugues Carbonnier; Dorothée de Bernis; Fanny Desclozeaux; Jérôme Grand d’Esnon; Michel Rasle; Eric Morain
LES EDITIONS JALOU
CBR & Associés excels at handling challenging commercial disputes, often opposing key sector players and involving entire business models or major commercial issues. The practice is very experienced in landmark commercial cases, often mixing commercial, litigation, regulatory and competition issues. The loyal client base includes leading names in the telecoms, media, energy and tobacco industries. Pierre-Olivier Chartier, who co-heads the practice with tobacco sector expert Judith Vuillez, is particularly recommended.
Judith Vuillez; Pierre-Olivier Chartier
‘The team has exceptional expertise in commercial litigation and more generally in designing a litigation strategy. Working with this team also ensures that nothing will be left to chance in the context of commercial litigation.’
‘Pierre-Olivier Chartier has high-level technique, but is also able to provide a great strategic vision in commercial litigation. These qualities are further complemented by a flawless availability for clients.’
‘Their opinions, legal documents and feedback are always given on time and with a very high standard of quality, precision and clarity. The team is sensitive to emergencies and responds in a very responsive manner. Also, their costs are reasonable in view of the French market.’
‘Judith Vuillez has worked for our company for many years. She is always available, has a lot of experience in a wide variety of fields and finds pragmatic and practical solutions to the problems at hand.’
‘Brilliant and extremely efficient team. They are very thorough and precise before courts. They do not leave anything to chance when preparing a case and show real empathy towards their clients.’
‘A creative and responsive team who cares about serving its clients in the best fashion, offering tailor made solutions.’
‘Pierre-Olivier Chartier is among the best pleading lawyers within the Paris Bar. He is precise and accurate. He has great synthetical skills. He is highly committed and completely masters the procedural aspects of cases.’
‘Judith Vuillez is highly professional, very efficient and has a great track record. She has great personal skills and is always there to support her clients in the difficult times.’
BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO
BACARDI MARTINI FRANCE
PROCTER & GAMBLE
TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE
- Assisted TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE with a major dispute with EDF regarding the suspension of TOTAL DIRECT ENERGY’s nuclear power supply contract for force majeure due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Assisted TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE with a dispute with consumer organisation (UFC QUE CHOISIR) which challenged the validity of TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE’s consumer general terms and conditions.
- Assisted TF1 PUBLICITE with a dispute with PIXTEL regarding collect unpaid invoices in relation to advertising spaces.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is retained by leading French and international corporations as well as by leading investment funds to handle significant cases, often involving a cross-border component. The practice is especially experienced in managing major disputes for leading industry players in relation to M&A and commercial partnership projects. The caseload also includes tort proceedings and, showing the range of the team, a matter involving the recovery of a painting looted during WWII. Antoine Kirry , who directs the practice together with the London- and Paris-based Lord Peter Goldsmith QC, and international counsel Alexandre Bisch are recommended.
Antoine Kirry; Lord Peter Goldsmith QC
Other key lawyers:
- Representing US companies in a toxic tort litigation before French courts.
- Representing a US company in a multi-million contractual dispute with a French company, relating to an operation in Asia.
- Advising a UK investment firm in connection with a shareholder dispute arising out of a potential joint investment in a French company.
Dechert LLP is particularly active in share purchase agreement disputes and shareholder conflicts. Recently, the team was also in charge of insolvency-related litigation linked to the Covid-19 outbreak and demonstrated its cross-border strength when advising several Lebanese banks affected by the economic situation in Lebanon on major solvability, financial and recovery issue disputes in France. Other key matters come from the energy sector or concern product liability and industrial proceedings, notably from the life sciences sector. Laurent Martinet and Jacques Sivignon are in charge.
Laurent Martinet; Jacques Sivignon
‘Competent and proactive team. Expert in industrial disputes.’
‘Very good management of files by Laurent Martinet. Remarkable follow-up and support of files by Vincent Rouer.’
‘They are patient, full of experience, focus on details and have the big picture of the whole litigation or arbitration in mind.’
‘The Dechert team has strong legal knowledge and produces an excellent work product.’
‘The professional pragmatic approach with the in-depth knowledge essential for commercial litigation are the forces of Dechert LLP. The service is rapid with practical guidelines allowing the client to comprehend all aspects and risks linked to the litigation.’
‘I have been working with Jacques Sivignon; he has always provided an excellent service and counselling, guiding us in the selection of the most appropriate strategy and at the same time highlighting the various risk scenarios in a clear and comprehensible manner. His professionalism and in-depth knowledge of commercial litigation are an excellent asset for both the client and Dechert LLP. ’
‘Great experience in commercial litigation, especially in the energy sector.’
‘Very good expertise and great negotiators. The team is proactive in terms of responses and always business-oriented. Good understanding of our business. They are always available with great knowledge in commercial litigation. Jacques Sivignon is business-oriented with great expertise of commercial litigation. He shows great aptitude to deal with complex international organisations/companies’.
Fédération française des banques alimentaires
- Advised ENEDIS on numerous significant commercial disputes, including a strategic case pending before the Paris Commercial Court against ENGIE.
- Advised DOW CHEMICAL on a strategic pending litigation initiated by a French individual against the 26 US manufacturers of a herbicide used during the Vietnam War in order to obtain compensation for her alleged damages and raise awareness of the historical facts.
- Assisted a Spanisch infrastructure and engineering player with a multi-million euro construction dispute over supply contracts for the largest hospital under construction in Europe and subsequent annulment proceedings before the Paris Court of Appeal.
DLA Piper has strong litigation capabilities thanks to its deep bench of versatile practitioners. Through Marine Lallemand, the firm offers excellent corporate litigation expertise, including in disputes involving leading investment funds in relation to M&A and share purchase agreement execution issues. Insolvency-related disputes are another of Lallemand's strengths. The practice also has high-level product liability and insurance expertise, thanks to Bruce Mee and Vonnick Le Guillou who are regularly featured in sensitive international cases, often involving the US. Le Guillou, who heads the practice with Lallemand, is also highly regarded for her extensive experience in the management of challenging cases in the aviation sector, especially when acting for leading aviation engineering clients. Also recommended is Fabienne Panneau who assists with major commercial disputes. Counsel Joy Araman who also deserves a mention.
Vonnick Le Guillou; Marine Lallemand
Other key lawyers:
Bruce Mee; Fabienne Panneau
‘Very good technical skills and great availability.’
‘Excellent quality of exchanges.’
ALLIANZ GLOBAL CORPORATE & SPECIALTY (FRANCE)
Cube Communications Infrastructures S.A.R.L
RSA Royal & SunAlliance
- Advised IDINVEST on obtaining a decision by the President of the Commercial Court to uphold a significant share purchase agreement in spite of a termination attempt by the purchaser in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Represented ALCOPA COORDINATION CENTER N.V. in obtaining the full dismissal of a claim brought by a seller against it, in its capacity of purchaser, to seek the execution of a SPA under penalty.
- Advising a The Blackstone Group subsidiary in the context of a pending €15m litigation regarding the illicit termination of a commercial lease agreement.
Dispute resolution boutique Fierville Ziadé has experienced great success since its creation, allowing the firm to further grow its associate bench in 2020. At ease in domestic and cross-border matters, the fast and ambitious firm also successfully grew its prominent client roster, notably in the finance and healthcare sectors. Recently, the practice was involved in several major shareholder conflicts and managed several sensitive disputes in the nuclear sector. Arbitration is also dealt with. High-flying founding duo Jérémie Fierville and Marie-Aude Ziadé, who regularly receives ICC arbitrator mandates that attest her outstanding reputation in the market, are among tomorrow’s most prominent litigators.
Marie-Aude Ziadé; Jérémie Fierville
‘Fierville Ziadé is an excellent firm. They deliver high-quality services that you would expect to receive from the largest firms with the personal touch of a boutique.’
‘Jérémie Fierville is a very good communicator, practical and extremely client-focused.’
‘Marie-Aude Ziadé is correctly recognised as a real leader in her field. She benefits in her practice from her former in-house experience.’
‘Excellent results, whether through judgments or settlements. Great rigour and solid skills, above market average.’
‘Excellent tenacity and persuasive drive from Jérémie Fierville.’
‘The great strength of the team lies in their good knowledge of the way companies operate, which allows them to propose particularly adapted approaches. This is coupled with excellent skills in procedures.’
‘Marie-Aude Ziadé has always been able to show great availability and personal involvement in cases which is rare in the market. The direct access to the partner and the great in-depth knowledge of the files which result from her active participation give us an exceptional level of support.’
‘Close team, available and swift.’
‘Youth, friendliness, confidence.’
‘Very strong expertise and great responsiveness.’
Boutique firm Galembert Avocats has excellent corporate litigation expertise. The firm is retained by CEOs of leading companies to assist with contentious governance and termination issues and regularly handles shareholder conflicts and, for executives and minority shareholders, proceedings against leading private equity funds. Noémie de Galembert, who is acknowledged for both her combative approach and strong negotiation skills, is highly recommended. Counsel Florence Portal is also recommended.
Noémie de Galembert
Other key lawyers:
‘Cases are handled by high-level lawyers and not outsourced to juniors.’
‘Efficient collection of facts, knowledge of case law and pugnacity. Noémie de Galembert really goes into battle for her client.’
‘Excellent analysis and preparation of files. Excellent argumentation at trial.’
‘This team is dedicated to the assistance of managers in the context of litigation. This specialised approach is quite unique in the market.’
‘Small team. Strong professional ethics.’
‘Very specialised skills in the field of commercial litigation. Strong professional ethics. Availability. Reactivity. Courtesy.’
‘Very good technique. The goal to be achieved is clearly defined with the client from the start. Position defended firmly and solidly, but without aggression. Very good sense of negotiation.’
‘The team is very competent, very responsive and available.’
‘Noémie de Galembert has a great command of the procedure, an excellent strategic vision, backed by very solid technical knowledge.’
Siaci Saint-Honoré (key management team)
Richard Seguin (CEO of Onduline Group)
Tunstall Group Acquisitions
Philippe Guillemot (CEO of Europcar – now of ELIOR Group)
OB Invest (WFS Acquisitions)
John Ozinga (Accor Invest)
Centre Privé de Radiothérapie de Metz
European Chemicals Agency
Olivier Melwig (CEO of Accorus Networks)
- Advising the Faiveley group and its majority shareholders on their dispute against one of the minority shareholders who brought emergency proceedings (under the form of a référé d’heure à heure) and various other proceedings before French and Luxembourg courts in order to prevent a cross-border merger between two of the group’s companies.
- Advising the founding shareholder and CEO of Total subsidiary Greenflex on its dispute against Total as to the application of the ‘earn out’ clause provided in the SPA concluded with Total.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. impresses with its versatility. The firm is active in strategic banking and corporate disputes. Banking-related M&A disputes in African jurisdictions, part of the practice's busy cross-border caseload, are another area of strength. The group also offers experience in arbitration award enforcement cases before French courts. Finally, the practice also manages commercial litigation and is involved in several disputes dealing with the revocation of former CEOs. Bruno Quentin, Jean-Philippe Pons-Henry and Sophie Scemla are in charge.
Bruno Quentin; Jean-Philippe Pons-Henry; Sophie Scemla
‘Very rigorous analyses.’
‘Ability to master the financial aspects of disputes.’
Dispute resolution boutique Grandjean Avocats is the firm of choice for several leading French and international companies, banks and investment funds. Experience includes high-profile product liability cases in the pharmaceutical sector, and commercial and corporate litigation. The group was appointed by a French hospitality company to represent it in proceedings against its insurer, brought to seek coverage of financial damages caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. Finally, the team is also involved in M&A and corporate governance disputes and handles regulatory litigation work. The firm’s co-founders Jean-Pierre Grandjean, Marguerite Aynès and Thomas Lambard are recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Pierre Grandjean; Marguerite Aynès, Thomas Lambard
‘We were impressed with the quality of the work, professionalism and the practical advice.’
‘Marguerite Aynes delivered very high-quality work within a very tight deadline, innovative and commercially aware lawyer. Jean-Pierre Grandjean showed great expertise and leadership skills.’
‘The quality of the writings and the pleadings of the firm is excellent. They command a lot of respect.’
GlaxoSmithKline Santé Grand Public
Caisse Nationale de l’Assurance Maladie (CNAM)
AEW Europe / AEW Ciloger
- Representing GSK Santé Grand Public, acting as Novartis Santé Familiale’s successor, in high-profile product liability mass tort litigation relating to the alleged defect of a drug product.
- Advising Rewe Group, acting as partner of Eurelec, in the context of commercial proceedings commenced by the French Minister of Economy for alleged anti-competitive practices and parallel administrative proceedings initiated by the DIRECCTE.
- Acting for the Caisse Nationale de l’Assurance Maladie in proceedings to obtain the take-down of two websites providing online medical services in France, including the issuance of sick leave certificates.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP handles a wide-range of disputes, with a good volume of commercial disputes and strong banking litigation expertise. The team represents leading insurers and banks in high-stakes litigation pertaining to their financial products and notably obtained an important ruling from the French Supreme Court for client Generali Vie which held structured products admissible in a life insurance contracts. The team is also familiar with matters involving African jurisdictions and exequatur cases. Lately, the practice was appointed by an oil and gas client to assist with new emerging climate and environment litigation. Clément Dupoirier and Antoine Juaristi co-head the practice which also includes Martin Le Touzé, who made partner in 2020.
Antoine Juaristi; Clément Dupoirier
Other key lawyers:
Martin Le Touzé
Crédit Agricole Brie Picardie
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP’s team is able to cover a large array of disputes. Drawing on the firm’s strong involvement in the healthcare sector, the litigation team regularly represents big pharmaceutical companies and healthcare providers in commercial and product liability cases, including in high-stakes matters regarding blockbuster vaccines and in product certification issue proceedings. The team also has a strong client base in the IT and media sector, with a focus on data regulatory and commercial litigation. Christine Gateau and Christelle Coslin are the key names for the above. Arthur Dethomas has extensive experience in corporate litigation and shareholder conflicts, with several major investment funds among his clients. Julien Martinet is entrusted by leading French banks to assist with mass civil proceedings pertaining to financial products and with international banking issues.
Other key lawyers:
Christine Gateau; Christelle Coslin; Julien Martinet
‘Julien Martinet makes a real contribution to the defense of the interests of our company. His availability is indisputably beyond measure.’
- Representing Wikimedia Foundation in several cases before French courts, securing recognition of the client as a hosting provider of the content available on Wikipedia.
- Representing Google before the French Administrative Supreme Court, securing annulment of the decision of the French Data Protection Authority (CNIL) that applied the ‘right to be forgotten’ only to the European versions of its search engine.
- Assisting Merck & Co., Inc. and its French subsidiary MSD Vaccins with the coordination and defense of product liability claims brought by French plaintiffs before the Courts or before Commissions for Conciliation and Indemnification (CCIs) in relation to alleged adverse events of the vaccine Gardasil.
Jeantet has particularly strong expertise in commercial cases involving strong regulatory and antitrust issues. The versatile practice also acts for many leading companies in a broad range of other commercial litigation, including hard-fought disputes in the mass retail sector. The group is also involved in several high-stakes private enforcement cases and in high-profile cases in the energy sector, opposing leading energy providers. Another strong area of expertise is the representation of investment funds in shareholder conflicts, insolvency-related and other corporate disputes. Finally, the team also handles securities and banking-related matters. The practice's mediation experience complements its experience in court proceedings well. Xavier Pernot and Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié co-head the team. Florent Prunet is also involved.
Xavier Pernot; Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié
Other key lawyers:
‘An efficient set of expertise and great follow-up and proactive support’.
‘The litigation team is able to address a wide range of litigation matters, beyond M&A or commercial litigation. The team has high-level knowledge and is client-oriented and practical.’
DESCOURS & CABAUD
ENI GAS & POWER France
- Assisting Provera with private enforcement action for damages before the Paris commercial court against Lactalis and other dairy products manufacturers in order to obtain compensation for the alleged damage suffered as a result of an anticompetitive agreement, following a 2015 decision of the French Competition Authority which found the main producers guilty of entering into an anticompetitive agreement.
- Assisting ENI with complex matters before various courts or other authorities against the French distribution grid manager for natural gas (GRDF).
- Assisting the French for-profit crowdfunding platform Leetchi with the dispute against Mr Christophe Dettinger, the beneficiary of a fundraiser dedicated initially to help him pay legal fees after being brought to justice for fighting against police officers during a protest march.
Jones Day acts for leading French and international corporations in commercial, industrial and corporate cases. The group has extensive experience in the management of disputes pertaining to the oil and gas and energy sector. The practice was recently appointed to handle France’s first case relating to the trading and custody of bitcoins on behalf of a bitcoin trading company. Cross-border cases are a regular occurence in the caseload, notably involving African jurisdictions and the US. Ozan Akyurek, Elie Kleiman and Françoise Labrousse are recommended. Frédéric Gros and of counsel Isabelle Maury are the contacts for a series of disputes for SFIL, CAFFIL and Dexia Credit Local SA relating to structured loans issued to French municipalities.
Elie Kleiman; Ozan Akyurek; Françoise Labrousse; Frédéric Gros
‘The special featureof the firm is its capability to perform well in a large variety of disputes without being too specialised in a narrow area.’
‘The work of Elie Kleiman is always of top quality. He is an excellent lawyer, not only of French law. He has a very wide (almost global) legal culture.’
‘This practice is a top-level team. The main strengths are the people skills and their client devotion.’
‘Ozan Akyurek is a top-level professional. He has the skills and the business background to advise world-leading companies. He creates collaborative environments for best working success.’
‘The lawyers are brilliant. They are real experts and never complacent. They are nice to work with and always do their best to be available for their client.’
‘Ozan Akyurek is both brilliant and available. He is nice to work with.’
‘Clear and concise advice, thorough explanation of options available and business-minded recommendations for next steps.’
‘Ozan Akyurek is very personable, a good communicator, as well as reliable and friendly. Raphael Baudat is a young talent, a very clear logical thinker, friendly and good to work with.’
‘Frédéric Gros has an excellent knowledge of the banking sector, financial arrangements and litigation. Jones Day stands out for its very high availability and responsiveness. Frédéric Gros is a committed, focused and hard working lawyer that has thorough knowledge of the matters he is in charge of.
Dexia Credit Local SA
Société de Financement Local (‘SFIL’)
Vestergaard Frandsen SA
- Acting on behalf of a bitcoin trading firm before the Commercial court of Nanterre in a dispute relating to trading and custody of bitcoins.
- Acted on behalf of claimant Vestergaard Frandsen in trade secret litigation initiated against a former consultant and his company Intelligent Insect Control.
- Representing SFIL, CAFFIL and Dexia Credit Local SA in litigation related to structured loans issued to French municipalities.
Lantourne & Associés‘ caseload consists mainly of complex corporate and financial disputes involving restructuring and insolvency proceedings. The team also has strong expertise in handling shareholder conflicts and corporate governance disputes for companies and investment funds. Maurice Lantourne and Flavie Hannoun co-head the practice. Gauthier Doré is also involved.
Maurice Lantourne; Flavie Hannoun
Other key lawyers:
Latham & Watkins recently saw a surge of new mandates coming from leading investment funds to assist with high-stakes private equity deals litigation and shareholder conflicts. The practice also handles a good amount of commercial and industrial disputes, including a sensitive case in the life insurance sector which was initiated by a series of policy holders. The practice is also experienced in disputes regarding the trading of energy efficiency certificates. Fabrice Fages and Myria Saarinen are in charge.
Fabrice Fages; Myria Saarinen
‘The team of Latham & Watkins in Paris is very competent, responsive and proactive in supporting the client.’
‘Latham and Watkins’ litigation team benefits from a strong reputation and extensive experience in commercial litigation.’
‘The litigation team differs from other teams in that it is particularly familiar with our core business and the issues that we encounter in the management of our company. The exchanges are therefore fast, fluid and of excellent quality. The team is very professional and responsive. They know how to make themselves available and are a source of proposals to allow us to adopt the best possible strategy.’
‘The team combines the expertise, professionalism and responsiveness of a large international firm with attention, openness to discussion, and the search for tailor-made solutions, as well as an intimate understanding of the challenges and constraints of its clients. They take into account the client’s overall strategy and the possible impacts beyond the sole legal sphere and also prepare for the future and prevent future litigation.’
‘Working with Fabrice Fages is both very pleasant and very reassuring. The exchanges are fluid, his analysis of situations is safe and his advice for building a winning strategy is invaluable! His personality and his expertise allow him to distinguish between things and to identify and prioritize very quickly the axes of reflection and possible judicial and extra-judicial ways to resolve a complex litigation situation, always in line with the specificities of his client. In addition to his professional and personal qualities of a fine strategist, his great availability and his commitment also make him an excellent partner in crisis situations.’
‘Excellent and very experienced litigation team which combines an in-depth reflection on strategy and expertise on substantive and procedural questions’.
‘Efficient and stable. A very present partner who really follows his files, plus a very competent experienced associate.’
‘The team is simply very efficient, has a deep knowledge of its legal fields and is incredibly innovative. The team is friendly, always available to speak to the client and above all listens to the client and finds solutions for the clients’ business needs.’
‘Fabrice Fages is very knowledgeable and has excellent negotiations tactics.’
‘Myria Saarinen is also incredibly efficient and does not waste the clients’ time. Myria is on the ball and business-orientated while having great technical skills and therefore understanding the products of her clients.’
‘A firm that provides a legal service that is business-oriented. Through a complete and detailed analysis of the matter, they are able to provide you with multiple solutions and guide you to the best solution for your business.’
‘A competent team with a great availability towards the client.’
‘The partners are very attentive and make proposals without imposing them.’
‘ In a few words: professionalism, efficiency, knowledge, great reactivity. No weak points. Compared to other firms with which I have been able to work: more efficient, no waste of time, very concise in processing of files. I especially enjoyed working with them.’
Peltier Juvigny Marpeau & Associés‘ Frédéric Peltier is a strong name for corporate and shareholder conflicts litigation. He regularly acts for leading investment funds, such as Apax Partners whom he assists with several matters. The firm also represents companies. Nicolas Partouche, whose main expertise lies in restructuring and insolvency proceedings, also contributes, as does Clément Wierre who made counsel in 2020.
MJA (Mandataires Judiciaires Associés)
Intermediate Capital Group (ICG)
- Represented BTSG and Mandataires Judiciaires Associés (MJA) in their capacity as liquidators of the Agripole Group companies in ten liability lawsuits filed against the companies’ auditors following the discovery of a significant accounting fraud.
- Represented ICG, a fund which holds 25% of the share capital of Compagnie Financière Laurent Menissez, in a lawsuit initiated by the majority shareholder of the company relating to the implementation of the liquidity clause provided for in the shareholders agreement signed between the parties.
- Represented private equity fund Apax Partners against Holfimer in the context of an abrupt breakdown of talks, securing dismissalof all claims before the Paris Commercial Court.
Litigation accounts for half of Veil Jourde’s business. The firm handles a wide range of cases, spanning commercial, corporate, financial and banking and criminal disputes. It is instructed by leading banks, major French and international companies as well as by SMEs. Jean Veil and Georges Jourde co-head the practice, which also includes highly experienced partners Pierre-François Veil, Eric Deubel and Emmanuel Rosenfeld.
Jean Veil; Georges Jourde
Other key lawyers:
Pierre-François Veil, Eric Deubel; Emmanuel Rosenfeld
Villey Girard Grolleaud is recommended for its high-level expertise in dealing with significant corporate and M&A disputes and shareholders’ disputes. The practice acts for leading companies, funds and individual shareholders. It has recently been mandated by a major French private equity fund to assist with a shareholder dispute with another major fund. Lately, the practice has also been mandated to act in several major debt restructuring and insolvency cases. Finally, the team has strong know-how in the field of listed companies and regularly assists with securities litigation. Daniel Villey and Louis-Marie Pillebout are strongly recommended.
Daniel Villey; Louis-Marie Pillebout
- Representing two Baccarat executives sued by a former shareholder, mainly for failing to provide transparent information and committing misconduct during the public offer for the company’s shares.
- Representing Llsollu, Systran mother company, in connection with a dispute with the AMF regarding the payment of an earn-out due to previous shareholders of Systran.
At Vivien & Associés, the team of the well-experienced Emmanuelle Bouretz shows great ability to deal with a broad array of cases. Its banking litigation expertise is particularly notable and was sought after for a case raising new legal issues pertaining to the termination of established banking business relationships. The team also acts for former CEOs and managers in various complex shareholder conflicts. With its experience in assisting with domestic and cross-border disputes, the group is well placed to represent French and international companies, including SMEs, in commercial and industrial litigation.
Winston & Strawn LLP has strong corporate and commercial litigation skills which it combines with excellent healthcare and mutual insurance industry knowledge. The group manages high-level cases in that area, often mixing complex corporate, commercial and regulatory issues. It is regularly involved in disputes opposing healthcare providers and offers experience in antitrust private enforcement cases. The team is also acknowledged for its strong mediation know-how. Practice head Gilles Bigot is highly recommended. He is surrounded by the experienced Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet, Mathilde Lefranc-Barthe and Sara Susnjar.
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet; Mathilde Lefranc-Barthe; Sara Susnjar
‘The Winston & Strawn team dedicated to litigation is professional, responsive, creative and delivers high-quality work. In addition to their technical skills, their perfect knowledge of the health sector and its players is a huge asset. The level of service is excellent and the clients are always very satisfied.’
‘Gilles Bigot intervenes in complex and high-level cases. He is, in my opinion, at the top of his game. Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet and Mathilde Lefranc-Barthe are also excellent, particularly in alternative dispute resolution methods.’
‘Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet: the quality of her listening skills and her knowledge in dispute resolution alternative methods are exceptional. In addition, it is a very well-organised firm, so it saves time for both partners and clients.’
Agefos PME/OPCO EP
Holding Portugal Luxembourg
MNH / Groups NEHS
Ramsay Générale de Santé
Union Asset Management Holding (UAMH)
- Advising German pension fund Union Asset Management Holding (UAMH) in the aftermath of the Vivendi scandal which involved investments in Vivendi based on false and fraudulent information which resulted in a massive loss.
- Represented Holding Portugal Luxembourg (HPL), Financière Medicis and Sozan Holding in litigation aimed at reinstating their minority shareholder rights after a share increase was declared fraudulent.
Gilbert Parleani; Jean-Marie Gazagnes
‘Jean-Marie Gazagnes is very practical and business-oriented’.
Crédit du Nord
Les Indés Radios
British American Tobacco Caribbean
CNH Industrial (CaseNewHolland)
FCA Group (Fiat/Chrysler)
Emerging Capital Partners
AIG Europe SA
FPT Industrial S.p.A.
- Advised Paris City Hall on the measures taken to deal with AirBnB in Paris before the European Court of Justice and French courts.
- Advised E. Leclerc (Galec) on a €117m lawsuit brought by the French Ministry of Finance.
Cédric de Pouzilhac; Aurélien Condomines; Benjamin May
Other key lawyers:
Other key lawyers:
Weinberg Capital Partners
Domino’s Pizza France
Amor Group GmbH
Arnaud de Barthès de Montfort; François Berthod
‘Very engaged, smart and creative. They go the extra mile whenever needed. Great client relationship as well.’
‘They are determined to win all their cases by being both audacious and well prepared’.
‘Fees are clear and result-oriented.’
‘Very high level engagement and availability.’
‘Dynamic and practical team of litigation experts. Great technical expertise and remarkable writing skills.’
‘François Berthod is remarkable. He is calm, reliable and available. He has excellent expertise, notably in the field of distribution disputes, and excellent mastery of procedures’.
Hortense de Roux
‘A very committed team which provides concrete advice.’
‘A good team with strong listening skills.’
WPD Offshore GmbH
Robert Bosch / Coup
Cushman & Wakefield
My Money Bank
EuroMaint Rail AB
John Laing Group Plc
Marion Barbier; Nicolas Morelli
Royal Sun Alliance
Bjorg Bonneterre et Compagnie
Aéroports de Lyon
- Advising Sammontana on an indemnity action following an abrupt termination of negotiations with the shareholders of the Amorino group for the acquisition of the latter.
- Assisting Airbus Group SAS with its dispute with Tata Consultancy Services France SAS concerning the development and implementation of a knowledge management platform under a services agreement and specifications.
- Representing and assisting PHOTOSOL in the context of the dispute between 3SUN, 3. ENEL GREEN POWER S.P.A and SHARP (EUROP) ELECTRONICS LIMITED concerning the supply of defective solar panels to PHOTOSOL.
Antoine Beauquier; Franck Poindessault
Chambres des métiers de Bourgogne
- Defending social protection group Korelio against an IT group in proceedings based on dol.
- Defending Rio Tinto in proceedings following post-acquisition warranties, the amount at stake is €10m.
- Defending D&Os at Peugeot for faults severable from their mandate, triggering the D&O’s personal’s liabilities.
Kiril Bougartchev; Emmanuel Moyne
Brunswick La Morinerie
Philippe Brunswick; Maxime de La Morinerie
Chatain & Associés
Antoine Chatain; Jean-Yves Demay Pajot
‘Jean-Yves Demay Pajot is a great professional and has a great ability to support clients and find the right solutions.’
‘Antoine Chatain is wonderful. Jean-Philippe Erb and Maud Picquet stand out for their strategic acuity.’
‘Me Chatain is very methodical, anticipates and shows great empathy. He is very vigilant.’
‘Excellent team, partners and associates; serious responsiveness and skills.’
Galec (Groupe Leclerc)
- Representing Podiafrance and its managing director in a post-acquisition dispute relating to the purchase of three podiatry companies.
- Advising Morning and Banque Edel, companies of the Leclerc Movement, in the context of a dispute with Agora (USA) and Mr. Frédéric Senan, concerning the formation and performance of a licensing agreement concluded between Agora and the former director of Morning in fraud of the rights of the latter and its majority shareholder Banque Edel.
- Advising FONDATION CAPITAL FRANCE, the management company of the FCPR, LBO PARTNERS FUND II, in the context of a dispute brought by NERIM GROUP concerning the validity of the sale, to its benefit, of the shares held by LBO PARTNERS FUND II.
Chemarin & Limbour
Other key lawyers:
‘A very appreciable business approach and a rare mastery of legal disputes.’
‘I appreciated Alexandre Limbour’s great mastery of litigation strategy, knowledge of commercial procedures and his ability to be creative and firm in his approach, his liveliness and his ability to grasp the issues very quickly. His associate Pauline Danjou demonstrates seriousness and great rigour.’
Le Havre Football Club (HAC)
Lorient Football Club
Editions Odile Jacob
Banque Internationale du Luxembourg
- Advising Orange on five major cases linked to network interconnection services and the pricing of its wholesale offers.
- Advising Rabobank on claims of bank fraud brought against the former management team of now bankrupt French dairy sector player Toury.
- Advising Newrest on a strategic dispute with the Monoprix Group in the context of the end of commercial relations for the catering service of SNCF trains.
Clyde & Co LLP
Gildas Rostain; Rozenn Lopin; David Méheut
‘International network, availability, very good knowledge of the economic environment in which we operate.’
‘Rozenn Lopin is pragmatic, available, efficient; David Méheut is responsive, perfectly bilingual and very technical.’
De Baecque Fauré Bellec
‘Very high responsiveness, outstanding commitment and high-level technique dealing with shareholder conflicts’.
‘The team is available and responsive. Strongly client-oriented’.
‘Utmost professional and relevant advice. Listen to clients.’
‘Anne-Jessica Fauré handles disputes with her fine legal and strategic approach. She anticipates every possible move. Great understanding of companies’ issues’.
‘Anne-Jessica Fauré demonstrates great listening, analysis and negotiation skills’.
Eiffage Energie Systèmes
Mr. Serguei Pougatchev
Mr. Bruno Borie
- Represented Serguei Pougatchev in exequatur proceedings against a Russian state agency aiming to enforce a judgment sentencing him to pay over €1bn to an insolvent Russian Bank.
- Represented Eiffage Energie Systèmes in a lawsuit brought by a former business partner with whom they had created a joint venture for the purpose of a contract with Peugeot.
- Represented Generim against Moroccan bank Crédit du Maroc which requested the exequatur in France of a Moroccan judgment which sentenced Generim to pay over €2m to Crédit du Maroc.
Daniel Féau Conseil Immobilier
Monte Carlo Société Des Bains De Mer
- Representing TF1 in a series of disputes against the main Internet service providers (namely Altice-SFR, Orange and Free) and the French TV channel package distributor Groupe Canal+, disputes arisen from the change of business model that group TF1 has implemented which meant that the Internet service providers and TV channel package distributors must pay royalties to group TF1 to distribute both linear and non-linear TV services and programs.
- Representing TF1 in litigation against Isoëte Production, producer of television programs dealing with social issues (‘C’est quoi l’amour’; ‘Ma drôle de vie’); with the producer accusing TF1 of having abruptly put an end to their 13-year-old commercial relationship and asking to be compensated.
Other key lawyers:
Bertrand Potot; Xavier Lacaze; Arnaud Constant; Guillaume Selnet; Romain Bourgade
INTERNATIONAL CHEMICAL INESTORS FRANCE
SAFRAN ELECTRONICS & DEFENSE
- Advised ACTIS in the context of a misleading advertising action and violation of the rules on comparative advertising launched by the Mineral Wool Producers’ Union (FILMM).
- Acting for Ressourcethica, a promoter & distributor of pharmaceutical and para-pharmaceutical goods in French-speaking Africa, in a number of cases in the field of distribution law and regulatory matters in the medical sector.
- Representing Kep Technologies, a subcontractor in the aerospace & electronics industries (civil and military), in a number of cases in the fields of distribution law and regulatory matters in the defense sector.
Magali Thorne; Lin Nin
‘DTMV is very adaptable, covers a very wide area of litigation and therefore knows its clients well. Lawyers are always available and take matters into their own hands to guide clients. In addition to the technical qualities they demonstrate, they are also good advocates and concerned with the overall interests of clients.
Lin Nin is our contact partner and is always there by our side, even in tense or complex situations’.
‘Lin NIN has a very fine knowledge of commercial law but also other areas of law. He is an excellent generalist. He quickly understands what is at stake in a case. He knows how to adapt to the challenges of the case and to the interlocutors. Lin Nin is very responsive, he does not give up on any point, he is very picky and always very precise in his analyzes’.
Bruno Paccioni; Philippe Netto; Brigitte Daille-Duclos; Franck Veisse
‘High availability, in-depth expertise.’
L’Eclair de Génie
DXC (ex CSC)
‘Multidisciplinary teams made up of qualified and very responsive employees.’
‘Yann Colin is a highly regarded professional with extensive experience. His global vision of the files and his ability to explain technical points in simple terms make him a real asset.’
‘Yann Colin heads the dispute resolution department with exceptional dynamism, creativity and pugnacity. He is an extremely invested lawyer, close to his clients, who never gives up. His reasoning is extremely quick and always very wise. He is very competent and rigorous.’
‘His associate Victor Cracan also has great qualities’.
Lisi Aerospace Group
- Advised the majority shareholders of Petrossian on a shareholder dispute against the minority shareholders of the company.
- Advised Jérôme Dreyfuss on a partnership dispute.
- Advised Enedis in the context of several collective actions brought by consumers linked to the installation of the so-called LINKY meter.
Serge-Antoine Tchekhoff; Robert Corcos
TAP AIR PORTUGAL
- Represented HYFLUX in litigation against Algerian Companies related to a desalination plant.
K&L Gates LLP
Louis Degos; Charlotte Baillot
‘The team is very competent in litigation and very responsive.’
‘ Charlotte Baillot is, through her extensive litigation experience, a valuable support to the company’s litigation strategy.’
SIKA Supply Center AG
3D SYSTEMS France, 3D SYSTEMS INC., Phenix Systems
John Bean Technologies AB
- Advised Sika Supply Center on serial claims regarding insulation problems with photovoltaic roofs.
- Represented ESG and EnigmaSoft Ltd in a dispute against their competitor Malwarebytes.
- Represented 3D SYSTEMS and its subsidiaries in disputes regarding the quality of 3D printers sold in France.
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Marie-Christine Fournier-Gille; Dominique Penin; Guillaume Forbin; Marie Davy
Banque Julius Baer
BNP Paribas / BNP ASR
LCL – Le Crédit Lyonnais
Crédit du Nord
SAINT LOUIS SUCRE – RYSSEN
DO & CO
BANK OF AMERICA
- Assisting Bayer withthe search for liability of corporate officers, involving commercial proceedings and criminal proceedings and a precedent-setting judgment of the Cour de Cassation.
- Representing Crédit du Nord and Dom Tom in a court action brought by 97 people claiming the bank neglected its Tracfin monitoring and declaring duty regarding a Dom Tom tax exemption company which had opened a bank account at Crédit du Nord and which defrauded its clients by transferring money on this same account claiming it was investing in tax-exempted products.
- Representing Banque Julius Baer in connection with an action for accountability in the context of a legacy.
Jean-Luc Larribau; Alexandra Szekely; Samuel Sauphanor
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Claire Hans; Morgan Gizardin
‘We chose to work with this firm for its competence, its pragmatism as well as its know-how for litigation in the financial field.’
‘Anne-Claire Hans, Samuel Sauphanor and Jean-Luc Larribeau carried out their work with great professionalism, great pragmatism and strong involvement.’
‘Young and dynamic team made up of rigorous and ingenious lawyers.’
‘Jean-Luc Larribau is a very skilled litigator, reactive, smart, who provides very good legal analyses and has a good ability to understand strategic issues of a case. He is a very reliable attorney.’
‘I have been very impressed by the team’s ability to digest very complex technical information and make critical arguments based on that information. We were impressed by the team’s technical acumen.’
‘Jean-Luc Larribau, Anne-Claire Hans and associate Magda Gillaux truly excel at client service. They are equally comfortable discussing technical matters as they are debating legal strategy with in-house lawyers. They provide invaluable strategic direction to foreign clients unfamiliar with the French legal system. And they communicate important information promptly and clearly. I have found them to provide outstanding service at very reasonable rates, and would not hesitate to refer my peers to them.’
Compagnie Européenne de Garanties et Cautions (CEGC)
Monte Paschi Banque
- Assisting and representing Infineon AG in the context of judicial proceedings before French Courts following a five-year-long judicial expert determination regarding alleged failures of one of its products.
- Representing CEGC, part of the Natixis group, before the Paris Commercial Court (Tribunal de commerce de Paris) in connection with a claim for € 120m brought by the Selcodis group.
- Assisting UPS France (and its subsidiaries) with multiple litigation or pre-litigation matters regarding relations with its subcontractors, suppliers or customers.
‘Emilie Vasseur is committed to her clients and very competent’
Groupe Demathieu Bard
Geoxia Maisons Individuelles
‘The team is capable and reliable and it communicates in an effective manner.’
‘Alexis Werl is a good lawyer, insightful and very approachable.’
Paul Hastings LLP
Philippe Bouchez El Ghozi; Nicolas Faguer
‘Nicolas Faguer is a very good and tough litigator.’
‘Excellent knowledge of litigation and procedural strategies. The work is remarkable.’
‘Nicolas Faguer is a lawyer of great rigour and who does not hesitate to alert his clients about the strengths and weaknesses of their cases. His analytical mind is remarkable, and his strategies are brilliant. We can blindly trust him with the defense of our cases.’
‘They have an extremely pragmatic vision of things and a very good knowledge of the economic and financial aspects of their files.’
‘Nicolas Faguer has a real talent as a negotiator and his litigation skills are of high quality.’
‘This firm has great expertise in complex litigation, particularly in corporate law. The team is very responsive and takes a subtle strategic approach to litigation.’
‘Nicolas Faguer’s availability is appreciable, the quality of his interventions has always been remarkable and the results are impressive. He is a brilliant litigator.’
‘Immediate understanding of the context which allows for adapted interventions. Constant availability of teams.’
Colisée Patrimoine Group
- Advising Sodexo in a range of major disputes, including a €60m dispute linked to the breach of commercial obligations and a non-compete clause and a €40m shareholder and post-acquisition dispute following the restructuring of several Sodexo companies.
- Advising Reed Midem on a complex shareholder dispute.
- Representing Faurecia in an investigation by the AMF in relation to the company’s cash and securities operations.
Xavier Hugon; Philippe Laye
‘There is a will to find amicable agreements and solutions to close a case without neglecting the interests of the client.’
‘Availability, responsiveness and willingness to resolve cases as quickly as possible.’
‘The team’s key strengths and capacities: availability, listening skills, adaptability and flexibility, especially in working with people of different nationalities.’
‘Xavier Hugon is an excellent litigator. He demonstrates tenacity and determination to find solutions, availability, flexibility of mind, and ability to innovate. Raymond Pouget shows great reliability, very deep expertise and extreme rigour.’
Pinsent Masons LLP
- Advising Mondex Corporation on all its disputes relating to French law or before French Courts, notably representing Mondex in a major dispute on behalf of the heirs of a Jewish gallerist who was dispossessed of the Modigliani painting Seated Man with a Cane during World War II.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provided clear and concise conclusions in a very complex case.’
‘Benoît Charot demonstrates legal rigour and judicial experience. He is imaginative, concise and clear in his words and writings. He has an available, responsive and diligent team.’
‘Reactive and efficient.’
‘Availability, intelligence and eloquence.’
Renault Thominette Vignaud & Reeve
Rossi Bordes AARPI
Dominique Bordes; Eric Boillot
THE FRENCH NATIONAL OLYMPIC AND SPORT COMMITTEE
François Ronget; François de Cambiaire; Emmanuel Tordjman
ITF C/ XPO
Fondation CEMAVIE (Crédit Mutuel) / Vinci, GTM & GAN
Parti Socialiste (Fédération de Seine Saint Denis)
SEMEC (Palais des Festivals et des Congrès de Cannes)
62 investors in ARISTOPHIL
Investors in APOLONIA
Commune de Pontault Combault
Commune de Plaissan
Ecole Miroirs Citoyens
Collective of 150 consumers
SHERPA & Les Amis de la Terre / PERENCO
VENDOME REM / NORMA CAPITAL
VENDOME REM / DIVERSITY
Paris Contentieux / Fiteco & Mr DENISE
Mr COMMEAU / GESDOM
FLATLOOKER / KPMG
Mr HAOUR / KPMG
Mr CHATEL / HSBC
- Representing UCB Pharma as a defendant in several medical liability claims (the ‘Distillbène’ cases).
- Representing Fondation CEMAVIE in a dispute that arose with a construction company and its subcontractor due to several defects in the building of a retirement home.
- Advising and representing fifteen French municipalities (including Grenoble, Nanterre, Bayonne…), regions (Centre Val de Loire) and five NGOs (France Nature Environnement, Notre Affaire à Tous, Sherpa, Les EcoMaires & Zea) in challenging Total on climate change policy grounds.
Simmons & Simmons
Jacques Antoine Robert
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume-Denis Faure; Etienne Kowalski; Alexandre Regniault
JC BAMFORD EXCAVATORS Ltd.
Moneta Asset Management
- Advised major American tool manufacturer on commercial litigation linked to the opposition of an alleged creditor to a merger operation in view of disputed commercial agent commissions (amount claimed circa €22m and merger operation validity at stake).
- Represented Moneta Asset Management before the Commercial Court of Paris in a dispute against Altamir, Altamir Gérance and Mr Maurice Tchénio regarding alleged undue management fees billed by Altamir Gérance and Mr Maurice Tchénio.
- Assisted a major Irish cement manufacturer in pre-litigation discussions with a world-leading steel and mining company regarding the price of raw materials in Europe linked to an alleged hardship situation, involving shareholder agreement issues and a deadlock situation.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Representing Geodis in various high-stakes M&A-related litigations.
- Representing an oil & gas company in construction and oil & gas litigation.
‘The Soffer Avocats team understand the basics of US law and their command of the English language, including legal terminology, is excellent.’
‘Ron Soffer has excellent command of the practical aspects of French litigation as well as of the nuances of the law.’
‘Soffer Avocats, led by Ron Soffer, is an excellent boutique firm of extremely competent lawyers. Ron Soffer is an exceptional strategist in litigation who can take a difficult case and present the client with an innovative strategy and very well-presented legal arguments.’
‘Ron Soffer is an extraordinary litigator who has substantial worldwide experience in dealing with complex cases. His very competent team complements and supports him and together they give the client an excellent service.’
‘Very experienced in cross-border litigation.’
‘Ron Soffer is very bright, commercial and practical. He goes the extra mile for his clients. He is familiar with both civil and common law systems, and adept at managing multi-jurisdictional cases.’
- Representing banks, financial institutions and investment funds in a securities fraud matter pending before the Courts in France, following a class action judgment in the US.
- Representing the buyer of an important painting at a public auction in New York who was sued in France due to the work being taken by Vichy from a Jewish family during the Second World War.
Kellog Brown Root
SG Kleinwort Hambros bank (CI) Limited
Baltic International Bank
Wells Fargo Bank Northwest Trustee
Jinwang Europe and Hunan Jinwang Bismuth Industrial Co.
Banque Européenne d’Investissement (BEI)
SAS Degrémont France
Léon de Bruxelles
La Halle Buying Office Limited
Joseph Dirand Architecture
- Assisting Maersk Line with a dispute between the company and various companies of the Bolloré Logistique group (China, South Korea, Philippines, Singapore, Spain, Italy, etc.) in connection with the fire on board the ship Maersk Honam.
- Assisting SAS Degrémont, the water subsidiary of utility giant Suez, with commercial court proceedings against various sub-contractors, including Cegelec/Vinci, in relation to the construction of a €130m water treatment plant in the North of Paris.
- Advising Transportation Partners on negotiations conducted on behalf of Ciel Voyage and Lion Air airline with various lessors, including Goshawk, in order to obtain payment arrangements for the rents of their aircraft.
Paul-Albert Iweins; Philippe Glaser; Benoît Goulesque-Monaux; Pierre-Olivier Leblanc
- Assisting Lubrizol with all civil and commercial litigation resulting from a huge fire that ravaged the Lubrizol factory in Rouen, destroying the site of a neighboring company and causing environmental pollution throughout the city and the region.
- Assisting the director, the producer and the distributor of the film GRACE A DIEU with two procedures initiated by Père Preynat and Mrs Regine Maire in order to obtain a judicial decision banning the broadcasting of the film.
Eric Teynier; Pierre Pic
Other key lawyers:
Raphael Kaminsky; Shaparak Saleh; Hermann Prodel
‘They take the client’s case to heart. They go out of their way to help their clients out. Very resourceful and I should add very creative in finding solutions to legal issues.’
‘Pierre Pic, aside from being a top notch lawyer, is one of the most decent people one can ever come across. Extremely bright, diligent and most of all he takes the client’s case to heart.’
‘The team is made up of great litigation and arbitration professionals who are precise, experienced and pugnacious.’
‘Eric Teynier and Shaparek Saleh are outstanding lawyers and arbitrators. They are extremely pugnacious.’
‘A true dispute resolution powerhouse.’
‘Raphael Kaminsky really understands how to work with large, sophisticated clients.’
‘Shaparak Saleh and her associate Hermann Prodel have shown great availability. Their advice was excellent and took into account the legal difficulties, but also the particular dimension of the case.’
‘Shaparak Saleh has advised me for many years. She is pugnacious, determined, combative and always reachable. In negotiations, she is an iron fist in a velvet glove. Her inventiveness and rigour allowed us to obtain a result that went beyond my expectations. Hermann Prodel is hardworking, intelligent and very attentive. He is a promising lawyer.’
GE Thermodyn/Baker Hughes
Mr. Nizar Dalloul
EDF Trading Logistics
GE Energy Power Conversion France
- Represented ArcelorMittal in a dispute brought before the Commercial Court of Nanterre by a multi-national electrical utility leader regarding the termination of a contract relating to the processing of blast furnace gas.
- Representing GE Measurement in expertise proceedings regarding a fire that took place in a petrochemical plant in Lavera, France.
- Representing and advising Mr. Nizar Dalloul, the director of a Lebanese company, in connection with the calling up of a comfort letter for the delivery of telecoms equipment in Côte d’Ivoire.
Sylvie Welsch; David Gordon-Krief
PRESTATIONS DE SERVICES IMMOBILIER
M.GOUDARD and Mrs. FILLEY
- Represented Océanis in commercial litigation regarding a contractual breach.
- Represented Prestations de services immobiliers in a dispute resolution with its main client in matters of breach of commercial relations with a subsidiary of the Courtois Group.
- Advising Oriens against Filorga in connection with the termination of a distribution contract.
Wilhelm & Associés
‘The team is very responsive and very practical.’
‘Pascal Wilhelm; Emilie Dumur and Stéphanie Cohen are very responsive.’
‘The team led by Pascal Wilhelm is remarkably efficient.’
‘Pascal Wilhelm is a great professional who always demonstrates a great capacity for technical and tactical imagination.’
GROUPE CANAL +
ZADIG & VOLTAIRE
CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB
- Advised ODAS on two different disputes in relation to its negotiations and contractual commitments with its partners.
- Defending a legal auditor in a dispute case involving the French subsidiaries of the company AGRIPOLE and its parent company FINANCIERE TURENNE LAFAYETTE.
- Defending BETCLIC before the Cour de Cassation against PARI MUTUEL URBAIN (PMU) in relation to the abuse of a dominant position which could constitute a ground for its liability, seeking compensation.