Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation in France
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP manages a varied and prominent commercial and financial disputes caseload. In addition to carrying out commercial litigation on behalf of major corporations, the firm has a particularly strong practice representing banks, notably acting in class-action disputes and in a landmark stock-market tender-offer case. Its mandates include a role in a civil liability arbitration case as well as a high profile M&A-related dispute relating to public sector infrastructure. Denis Chemla and Erwan Poisson co-head the practice. Senior associate Delphine Dendievel is also acknowledged.
‘The team is ultra-responsive and competent’.
‘Erwan Poisson and senior associate Delphine Dendievel are both highly skilled, very professional, and ultra-responsive lawyers’.
- Successfully obtained the complete dismissal of claims made by consumer association UFC-Que Choisir against client BNP Paribas in France’s first class action in the financial sector.
- Defending Alcatel Lucent in first of its kind proceedings brought before the Commercial Court of Evry by ABC Arbitrage S.A as holder of Alcatel’s American Depository Receipts, arguing that it should have been allowed to take part in Alcatel-Lucent’s 2013 capital increase like other shareholders.
- Representing CASIL Europe as shareholder of Toulouse airport (ATB) in a dispute relating to the validity of the airport privatisation process and the acquisition by CASIL Europe of the state’s stake in ATB in 2015.
Bredin Prat handles an impressive volume of groundbreaking cases on behalf of leading French, US and other international companies. The 19-lawyer team excels in landmark M&A-related disputes involving well-known listed and non-listed companies. Its mandates include advising on behalf of some leading US internet companies facing claims in France challenging the legality of the way they operate in the country. Other highlights include acting in France's first class-action case and handling civil and criminal liability disputes. Key names in the practice include the highly regarded Jean-Daniel Bretzner, as well as Florian Bouaziz, Sébastien Prat, Guillaume Pellegrin and Eve Duminy.
‘Bredin Prat is without doubt a true litigation heavyweight in Paris. They are very thorough in analysing complex cases and always come up with a clear explanation of possible routes and solutions’.
‘Florian Bouaziz is highly capable. He has a sharp commercial mind and guides a case towards commercially acceptable solutions’.
Areva / Orano
Rothschild & Co
- Defending Airbnb in various French criminal and commercial court proceedings (including a referral to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg) initiated by Paris City Hall and several hotel-industry players seeking to prevent the US platform from operating in Paris and France.
- Assisted Delfin, as EssilorLuxottica’s largest shareholder, in dealing with a major internal conflict over the group’s governance.
- Defending Bayer/Monsanto in judicial recourse initiated by individuals seeking recognition of the US company’s liability regarding risks associated with exposure to the company’s Round Up herbicide.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton's expertise is often sought for high-profile corporate and M&A disputes involving top companies and their CEOs. The firm is notably representing Nissan in a case involving Nissan's former CEO Carlos Ghosn. The 11-lawyer team also assists banks and handles large financial damages claims. Its lawyers are also able to deal with civil and criminal liability matters, and with classic commercial disputes and product liability matters. Jean-Yves Garaud is the leading name behind the practice, while counsel Delphine Michot is the other key member. Also recommended are counsel Guillaume de Rancourt and senior attorney Aude Dupuis.
Goodyear Dunlop Tires France
William Saurin (Bondholders of Agripole)
Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates
- Representing Nissan in connection with claims relating to Nissan’s former CEO Carlos Ghosn.
- Representing Rothschild in connection with a civil and criminal dispute brought by SCOR against COVEA, its former CEO, Thierry Derez, and the client further to the takeover bid made by COVEA on SCOR’s shares.
- Representing Canal Plus in damage claim proceedings before the Paris Commercial Court launched towards Ligue de Football Professionnelle for loss of profit and moral damage suffered as a result of the cancellation of several soccer games due to Yellow Vest (“Gilets Jaunes”) protests.
Clifford Chance is particularly adept at dealing with highly sensitive commercial and consumer related litigation, with a 14-lawyer practice that also regularly advises leading investment funds, banks and corporates in M&A-related disputes. The practice represents leading French and international retailers in high-stake disputes with competitors and the French government, and is also well versed at handling mass-consumer disputes. The firm's caseload includes several sensitive product liability disputes, notably in the healthcare sector and it also takes on industrial litigation. Thomas Baudesson, Diego de Lammerville and Thibaud d’Alès are in charge of the practice, with Gaëlle Merlier promoted to counsel. Key former team member Jean-Pierre Grandjean left to set up Grandjean Avocats alongside former counsel Marguerite Aynès.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thibaud d’Alès is a great litigator. He is strategically very strong; commercially minded and solution-oriented. He has very strong pleading skills; is super responsive and resourceful and great in client management. He is a true pleasure to work with’.
Jacob Douwe Egberts (JDE)
Royal Bank of Scotland
Ligue de Football Professionnel
- Defending Carrefour in numerous disputes with its suppliers.
- Representing Accord Hotel Arena operator SAE POPB in a dispute with the companies in charge of a major building renovation and expansion project.
- Defending Apax Partners and several of its directors in a dispute initiated by Chenavari following the sale of Buy Way Consumer Finance group in 2014.
- Defending General Electric and its subsidiaries in various disputes with several of its subcontractors in relation to the Flamanville nuclear plant.
Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier's outstanding client base is made up of many of France's leading corporations, banks and corporate officers, as well as a number of major international companies. The firm is entrusted to act in the market's most complex corporate, securities, financial and commercial litigation cases. Its caseload includes dealing with sensitive high-stakes class-actions, shareholders' conflicts, M&A, public offers, unfair competition and product liability related matters. The highly experienced Jean-Michel Darrois, Emmanuel Brochier and Cyril Bonan co-head the practice. Also involved are Matthieu Brochier and Nicolas Mennesson .
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP is called in by some of France's leading listed and private corporations, as well as their senior executives, to handle high profile and sensitive cases. The team excels in advising on strategic M&A and commercial disputes. It is also entrusted with helping to manage shareholder conflicts and litigation governance issues pertaining to major listed companies. Highlighting the breadth of its practice,, the firm is also assisting a client that was the victim of hacking and crypto-currency theft. Senior statesman Georges Terrier is one of France's best-known names. Also recommended is counsel Alexandre Vermynck .
BRED Banque Populaire
Caisse des Depots et Consignations
- Representing the former second in command at Publicis in judicial recourse launched against Publicis in relation to his dismissal.
Orrick Rambaud Martel handles a broad range of disputes work, spanning commercial, corporate and financial litigation, including many high-profile cases. The firm is notably involved in several heated disputes connected to major insolvency cases. These include successfully representing DNCA in a dispute challenging CGG’s safeguarding proceedings and advising Arcole Industries. The practice is also well versed in dealing with shareholder conflicts and corporate director liability cases, as well as handling disputes in Africa. Frédéric Lalance is in charge. Also involved is well-known figure Jean-Pierre Martel.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very competent, reactive, efficient and precise’.
‘Frédéric Lalance is a high-profile and very good lawyer. He is responsive and also offers great availability’.
Consortium de Réalisation
- Successfully represented DNCA as CGG’s second largest shareholder and bondholder before the Court of appeal in a dispute with some bondholders challenging CGG’s safeguarding proceedings.
- Successfully defended Arcole Industries in securing the dismissal of €400 million worth of claims relating to the insolvency of two of its former subsidiaries, Mory Ducros and MoryGlobal.
Viguié Schmidt & Associés is one of the market's go-to-firms for high-stake corporate and commercial disputes. The firm is often called in to act in strategic shareholder conflicts, and also regularly handles listed and private company M&A disputes. The practice is increasingly involved in cross-border cases involving African investors. Notably, its successes on the commercial disputes side include a high profile positive outcome relating to a dispute in the electricity sector. Yves Schmidt and Olivier Loizon co-head the practice. Nicolas Viguié and Martin Donato are also key members.
‘They pay real attention to the specific aspects of a case and do not try to sell clients a “one size fits all” kind-of-offer. They spend time understanding clients’ cases in depth.’
‘Yves Schmidt is smart and close to his clients’.
Orco Property Group
Sony Music Entertainment France
- Representing AXA Corporate Solutions as insurer of Enedis which is being sued by more than 200 electricity producers alleging the payment of financial loss damages following their late connection to the public grid – 80 of these claims were recently dismissed.
- Representing DreamJet Participations and XL Airways in damages claim proceedings brought against Air France-KLM in connection with the termination by Air France-KLM of negotiations relating to the potential acquisition of XL Airways
- Representing former senior executive officers of Norbert Dentressangle (now XPO Logistics Europe) in a high-profile M&A and securities dispute with Elliott Management Corporation regarding XPO Logistics’ $3.5bn takeover of Norbert Dentressangle.
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP frequently secures roles on major landmark cases. Headed by Didier Malka, the practice is retained by some of France's largest companies, as well as international organisations and leading investment funds to handle financial, corporate, securities and commercial disputes. The practice has recently been involved in a high-profile shareholder conflict and manages a significant volume of major M&A disputes. The six-lawyer team also deals with strategic commercial litigation and is also defending a client facing mass litigation proceedings from former employees. In addition, the practice is increasingly retained to act in international corruption and money laundering cases connected with domestic and international investigations. The firm also handles some arbitration work.
Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP handles corporate, commercial and governance disputes, acting for leading companies, investment funds and high-ranking executives. The firm is notably representing Air France-KLM in a dispute initiated by a French air carrier and its shareholders for alleged unlawful termination of negotiations in relation to the purchase of a minority shareholding in that company. Dominique Mondoloni and Grégoire Bertrou co-head the practice.
Agence Française de Développement
Merck Médication Familiale
Air France / Air France-KLM
- Successfully represented Transdev as former shareholder of SNCM, in a dispute concerning SNCM’s partnership with STEF in first instance proceedings.
- Representing Air France-KLM in a dispute initiated by a French air carrier and its shareholders for alleged unlawful termination of negotiations in relation to the purchase of a minority shareholding in that company
BDGS Associés has a strong name for corporate and shareholder conflict cases involving leading corporations, regularly advising on some of France's most sensitive cases in this area. It is notably representing Canal+ in a high-stakes dispute with Tf1 regarding broadcasting channel remuneration issues. The team also has very good knowledge of French discovery procedures (article 145) and trade secret issues, while also handling some criminal matters and advising clients on international sanctions. Practice head Kyum Lee is highly recommended, as is Antoine Gosset-Grainville , who is regularly retained by banks to lead strategic cases before the CJEU.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kyum Lee is remarkable – he has strong listening abilities, great understanding of matters, and strong involvement and support towards his clients during difficult situations’.
Ceva Santé Animale
- Representing Canal+ in a high-stakes dispute with Tf1 regarding broadcasting channel remuneration issues.
Carbonnier Lamaze Rasle has large resources that allow it to handle all types of litigation cases. The firm notably has solid expertise representing French and international banks in banking, commercial and corporate disputes. It also acts for families and companies in major M&A disputes, as well as dealing with commercial and criminal litigation. Edouard de Lamaze chairs the practice. Other key members include Jean-Hugues Carbonnier, Dorothée de Bernis, Fanny Desclozeaux, Jérôme Grand d’Esnon, Michel Rasle and criminal partner Eric Morain.
Other key lawyers:
LES EDITIONS JALOU
- Representing Baudinter in hard fought civil, criminal and arbitration disputes with Casino, in connection with Leader Price/FranPrix’s shares.
De Pardieu Brocas Maffei is able to cover a vast spectrum of litigation cases, drawing resources from dedicated partners as well as from those based in other departments. The practice is especially strong at dealing with high-stakes commercial, real-estate and banking litigation. It is notably handling a large volume of structured products litigation cases for Dexia and CACIB, which are being sued by various French departments and cities. The firm also deals with corporate and industrial disputes and handles international and exequatur litigation, as well as insolvency-related cases. Paul Talbourdet, Philippe Dubois and Barbara Levy co-head the practice. Dominique Lefort is the key name for banking litigation, while Patrick Jaïs and Ségolène Coiffet come recommended for corporate and insolvency cases. Competition law partner Philippe Guibert also takes on commercial disputes.
SNI (CDC HABITAT)
ASIA BROADCAST SATELLITE (ABS)
LIFE LIKE TOURING (TEG GROUP)
THE NORTH FACE INC.
- Defending Dexia and CACIB in financial structured products cases initiated by various departments and cities.
- Representing Generali-SCI Iris La Défense in a three-party dispute with Bouygues Bâtiment Ile-de-France and Hines France regarding the building of a high-rise in Paris La Défense.
- Acting for Booking.com in commercial and competition litigation regarding online booking platforms’ market practices.
FTMS Avocats brings together a very experienced team able to deal with a vast array of cases. The firm has strong banking and finance litigation expertise through Silvestre Tandeau de Marsac and Marc Henry who are managing several of the market’s largest and most complex disputes, defending banks and asset managers. The firm also regularly handles high-stakes international and Africa-related litigation and also frequently acts in arts, media and culture sector cases. It is representing the Bauer family in a Nazi spoliation case over Pissarro’s painting La Cueillette des Pois. Other areas of expertise include commercial, industrial, construction and civil liberties litigation. Cédric Fischer , Tristan Dupré de Puget and Pierre-Olivier Sur are also well-regarded.
Other key lawyers:
AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING
RIVES DE PARIS
CAISSE D’EPARGNE ILE DE FRANCE
CAISSE D’EPARGNE RHONE-ALPES
CAISSE D’EPARGNE LOIRE CENTRE
- Defending BPCE in about 300 proceedings before the Paris Courts in relation to the distribution of its DoublO financial product.
- Assisting Banque Populaire Rives de Paris in dealing with more than 150 claimants following investments made in photovoltaic power stations.
- Acting for the Bauer family in a Nazi spoliation case over Pissarro’s painting La Cueillette des Pois.
Gibson Dunn takes on a broad range of disputes work. The nine-lawyer team excels at handling insolvency related cases, as shown by its involvement in some of France's high-profile insolvency disputes. The team also assists investment funds and companies in corporate and financial litigation. Finally, it also deals with sensitive consumer cases, mass litigation involving hundreds of employees, as well as industrial product liability and cross-border disputes. Jean-Pierre Farges chairs the practice. Also recommended are Pierre-Emmanuel Fender and Eric Bouffard.
‘A responsive team with strong experience handling high-stakes litigation’.
‘Eric Bouffard and Jean-Pierre Farges are highly experienced and provide strategic and spot-on advice’.
‘Pierre-Emmanuel Fender has excellent technique, is rigorous and provides a strategic outlook over cases’.
P&O Short Sea Ferries Ltd
- Assisting Consolis with its claim against Debtwire/Mergermarket in relation to the unlawful publication of confidential information with respect to Consolis’ restructuring.
- Defended Novacap in a dispute with Rhodia for breach of representation and warranty following the carve-out and acquisition by Novacap of Rhodia’s analgesic entity.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP handles a range of cases, managing a steady volume of commercial disputes as well as being involved in strategic shareholder conflicts and financial litigation. The practice is instructed by French and international companies and its litigation expertise is also sought after by banks facing financial products liability disputes. The firm is also handling several property related cases, as well as African and exequatur disputes. Clément Dupoirier and Antoine Juaristi co-head the practice. Of counsels Dominique Jardin, Géraldine Marteau and Martin Le Touzé are also recommended.
‘Lawyers are of a very high quality, and always give relevant advice, going beyond the strict legal requirements to provide for a global case strategy’.
‘Clément Dupoirier has excellent knowledge and great negotiation abilities’.
BPCE / NATIXIS Group
NATIXIS INVESTMENT MANAGERS INTERNATIONAL
Jones Day advises on a high volume of cases on behalf of banks facing proceedings from public-sector local entities regarding so-called toxic loans, with the firm winning many of these cases. Frédéric Gros and of counsel Isabelle Maury are the key names for this work. The practice also deals with significant commercial disputes for leading French and international companies through Ozan Akyurek, while Elie Kleiman is managing a high-profile corporate dispute on behalf of a leading energy player. Finally, Françoise Labrousse is highly experienced in handling industrial product litigation.
Dexia Crédit Local (DCL)
DEPFA Bank PLC
Vestergaard Frandsen SA
- Won a landmark case for DEPFA Bank regarding a swap transaction.
- Representing SFIL, CAFFIL and DEXIA Credit Local SA in dealing with more than 200 claims relating to structured products commercialised to public sector entities.
- Representing insecticidal bed nets producer Vestergaard Frandsen in a breach of trade secrets case initiated against a former consultant and his French company, Intelligent Insect Control.
Lantourne & Associés' caseload leans heavily towards complex corporate and financial disputes linked with restructuring and insolvency proceedings. These include a growing number of instructions dealing with complex financing schemes, including derivatives instruments. The team also has strong expertise handling shareholder conflicts and corporate governance disputes on behalf of companies and investment funds. Maurice Lantourne and Flavie Hannoun co-head the practice. Gauthier Doré made partner in 2020 while Kristell Cattani left the firm to start her own practice in January 2020.
‘The firm provides personal and very close support’.
‘Maurice Lantourne provides particularly useful and rare insights on procedural matters’.
‘Flavie Hannoun is committed and perfectly masters the cases she is handling’.
‘Kristell Cattani is flexible, reachable and good at strategic advice’.
Litigation boutique Laude Esquier Champey brings together a large 14-lawyer team able to handle a variety of disputes. The firm is appointed by leading French and international corporations, including high-profile luxury goods brands, as well top insurers and investment funds. It handles sensitive commercial disputes, as well as bankruptcy and insurance-coverage related cases. The practice is also in charge of major shareholders' conflicts and corporate litigation cases. Co-heads of practice Olivier Laude, Victor Champey, Richard Esquier and Nathalie Karpik are highly recommended.
‘Extremely prepared and competent. The support is efficient and professional, leaving the customer always updated and properly informed at every stage. Always one step ahead.’
‘Strong experience in commercial litigation and a very good knowledge of business issues and constraints. It follows a combative but not aggressive approach. An ideal law firm for commercial litigation’.
‘Olivier Laude is engaged, combative but not aggressive, available, has 360 degree vision and very good oral and written communication skills’.
AJR PARTICIPATIONS – FRANCE ANTILLES
MGA ENTERTAINMENT INC
- Assisting Cardif Lux Vie in dealing with 25 lawsuits involving policyholders relating to the right of withdrawal of life insurance.
- Acting for LafargeHolcim in a legal defense cost fee coverage dispute with its D&O insurer AIG EUROPE regarding ongoing criminal inquiry into the company’s Syrian activities.
- Acting for Kering and Yves Saint Laurent in a dispute with the latter’s former artistic manager Hedi Slimane.
- Representing Vallourec in lawsuits initiated by Ascoval and its employee representative body in the context of Ascoval’s bankruptcy proceedings.
Linklaters is entrusted by major French and international companies, as well as banks and financial institutions, to deal with commercial and financial litigation disputes. The practice also handles insolvency-related cases and represents companies and African states in front of African courts. The team also manages stock-market and international corruption cases. Practice head Arnaud de La Cotardière and Jean-Charles Jaïs are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Peltier Juvigny Marpeau & Associés' Frédéric Peltier is highly experienced in representing companies and leading investment funds in strategic financial, corporate governance, corporate, M&A and securities disputes. He is involved in several of the market's ongoing landmark shareholders' disputes. Co-founding partner Arthur Dethomas left the firm to join Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP.
‘The firm provides high quality and appropriately aggressive advice’.
Intermediate Capital Group (ICG)
- Representing ICG as 25% shareholder of Compagnie Financière Laurent Menissez, in a lawsuit initiated by the company’s majority shareholder.
- Successfully defended Apax Partners in a dispute with Chenavari as purchaser of Buy Way Group.
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP handles a diverse caseload on behalf of leading French and international companies, investment funds and high-ranking corporate officers. The firm is involved in several landmark combined civil and criminal liability cases. It also deals with major shareholder conflicts, M&A, corporate and securities-related cases, as well as commercial litigation. Its caseload includes a mandate advising US investment fund Elliott on filing an appeal before the ECHR, challenging a recently delivered French Supreme Court judgment. Kami Haeri leads the eight-lawyer team, which also includes counsel Benoît Javaux .
Other key lawyers:
‘Benoît Javaux demonstrates great intellectual acuity. He provides fine and pertinent analysis and is creative and hard working’.
- Representing Mr. Franck Attal as deputy CEO and indirect minority shareholder of Event & Cie in a €40m commercial dispute generated by the Bygmalion political scandal.
- Representing Renault in the highly sensitive Carlos Ghosn case.
- Representing Rhodia Opérations in €10 million commercial litigation against CEVA Santé Animale.
Opened in January 2019, UK litigation firm Signature Litigation AARPI has high flying ambitions in Paris. The 12-lawyer boutique was founded by two former key lawyers in Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP's Paris office - Thomas Rouhette and Sylvie Gallage-Alwis, as well as insurance partner Emmanuèle Lutfalla , who came from insurance boutique Soulié & Coste Floret. The firm already manages an impressive caseload covering product liability and insurance matters and multi-jurisdictional cases. Rouhette notably handles high-profile disputes in the aviation sector relating to airline disasters. He also deals with significant corporate, commercial and financial cases. Gallage-Alwis is making a name for herself for high-profile toxic tort and product liability cases, handing a number of asbestos claims. Lutfalla meanwhile is acting for Allianz following a nuclear accident in the West of France. The firm was also retained by Renault to assist with a domestic governmental inquiry into diesel emissions.
‘The firm provides high-quality and irreproachable work’.
‘Thomas Rouhette is practical and provides client-oriented advice’.
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
- Defending Austrian bad bank KA Finanz AG in seeking the cancellation of several subordinated capital bonds worth €200m.
- Defending Goodyear Tire & Rubber in claims initiated by 600 former employees in France’s first civil proceedings launched on grounds of fear of developing cancer because of alleged past exposure to chemical substances.
- Acting for Allianz following a nuclear accident in the West of France.
Litigation makes up half of Veil Jourde’s business. The firm handles a wide range of cases, spanning commercial, corporate, financial and banking and criminal disputes. It is instructed by leading banks, major French and international companies, as well as SMEs. The firm's cases include a mandate defending a US chemical company in damages proceedings initiated by a French Vietnamese national against various US companies in relation to the use of chemical product Orange Agent during the US-Vietnam war. It is also acting for leading banks in a large volume of financial liability cases. Leading partners Jean Veil and Georges Jourde co-head the practice, which also includes highly experienced partners Pierre-François Veil, Eric Deubel, Emmanuel Rosenfeld , as well Yankel Bensoussan and Marie Errera.
Other key lawyers:
Perfume subsidiaries of LVMH
Crédit Agricole Leasing & Factoring
Villey Girard Grolleaud is recommended for corporate, commercial and securities litigation. The firm handles significant M&A related and shareholder conflicts cases involving complex issues. It is retained by many leading French corporations and financial investors. The compact three-lawyer team has high-level experience and combines strong litigation with M&A transactional expertise. It is co-headed by the highly recommended Daniel Villey and Louis-Marie Pillebout.
Interiale / LMDE
Caisse des dépôts et consignation
Française des Jeux
Les Editions Rotatives (Charlie Hebdo)
Rotana Jet Airline
White & Case LLP is particularly adept at handling mass litigation disputes, defending banks in civil and criminal liability proceedings pertaining to the commercialisation of financial products. Practice head Philippe Métais is the key name for this work, with Yann Utzschneider representing major corporations in commercial litigation, often in relation to competition, consumer and distribution law issues. Diane Lamarche has particular expertise handling corporate and securities litigation.
‘The team is excellent in the preparation of cases and anticipation of problems. It has great availability and key technical capabilities. Each file is treated with a real mastery of the procedure rules. The team puts itself into its customers’ shoes’.
BNP Paribas Group
Paul de Brancion & Co
Winston & Strawn LLP is recommended for advising on complex commercial, corporate, financial and shareholder conflict cases. The firm combines its litigation expertise with a deep knowledge of the healthcare and mutual insurance sectors in particular. It is also involved in a major stock market abuse dispute. Healthcare providers and insurers, as well as investors and companies are clients. The highly recommended Gilles Bigot chairs the practice, to which Anne-Carine Ropars-Furet, Mathilde Lefranc-Barthe and Sara Susnjar also contribute.
Ramsay Générale de Santé
Union Asset Management
Holding Portugal Luxembourg
- Representing German pension fund Union Asset Management Holdings in a large dispute dealing with investment made into Vivendi’s share capital based on false and fraudulent information.
Altana handles a range of disputes on behalf of French and international companies, such as leading insurers, pharmaceutical manufacturers and telecoms operators. The firm manages commercial, corporate and financial cases. It successfully handled a case where the equity control of an insurance company was at stake. The practice is also dealing with several judicial damages recourse proceedings,as well as managing high-profile product liability cases in the healthcare sector. Key names within the firm include Christophe Lapp, Valérie Lafarge-Sarkozy, Julien Balensi and Armand Aviges. Guillaume Forbin, who co-founded the firm, left to join Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP.
HÉDIARD / DO & CO
SAINT LOUIS SUCRE
Aramis has proven expertise handling complex commercial and industrial cases on behalf of leading French industrial and energy corporations. The firm is also very able in dealing with cross-border cases, including international ICC arbitration disputes, as well as compliance and anti-corruption matters. It also manages several post-M&A disputes. The client base includes many prominent companies and financial institutions. Cédric de Pouzilhac is the key name in the practice, while Aurélien Condomines and Benjamin May also contribute. Counsel Marion Carrega is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is excellent’.
‘Cédric de Pouzilhac and Marion Carrega are both very sharp and diligent lawyers who think out of the box’.
‘Cédric de Pouzilhac shows great availability and a client-oriented approach. He delivers solid work products within very short deadlines’.
Headed by Antony Martinez, Archers A.A.R.P.I.'s five lawyer-team receives instructions from leading investment funds and major companies. Clients turn to the practice for their most challenging financial, M&A and corporate disputes, as well as for commercial and insolvency-related litigation. Associate Pierre Mounier also deserves to be mentioned.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is responsive, smart and committed’.
‘Antony Martinez is a very bright and talented litigator’.
Weinberg Capital Partners
beIN Sports France
Domino’s Pizza France
Amcor Group GmbH
Artemont is entrusted with commercial litigation dealing with matters such as termination of commercial relationships and commercial agents. The firm is also acting in a major post M&A case. Co-heads of practice Arnaud de Barthès de Montfort and François Berthod are the key contacts.
La Maison Bleue
La Maison Bleue
The monarch beverage company
ADSM (Anthony Delon 1985)
August Debouzy is well-resourced and is able to deal with a wide scope of commercial, corporate and financial cases. The firm acts for prestigious French companies, as well as many international corporations. It is handling several high-stakes disputes pertaining to strategic partnerships and unfair competition issues. The team is notably acting in a high-profile case connected with a takeover offer. Marie Danis and Benjamin van Gaver are highly recommended. Counsel Flore Poloni and newly promoted counsel Marie Valentini are also key members.
- Representing Valeo in unfair competition proceedings with main competitor Nissens.
Litigation boutique Bougartchev Moyne Associés acts for high-profile companies, notably from the industrial, luxury and financial fields. It also receives instructions from international law firms. The 11-lawyer practice deals with sensitive post M&A disputes, shareholder conflicts and various other litigation, such as banking, unfair competition and commercial work. Kiril Bougartchev and Emmanuel Moyne are able to handle a range of sophisticated and high-stakes cases. Senior associate Geoffroy Goubin and associate Lisa Janaszewicz bring key support.
‘The team shows great ability to view matters from different angles and come up with strategies that go beyond pure legal aspects’.
‘Kiril Bougartchev and senior associate Geoffrey Goubin consistently show support above usual expectations and showcase a drive to win cases. They have great ability to come up with new ideas and also show engagement and emotional intelligence’.
Brunswick La Morinerie
Brunswick La Morinerie handles a large volume of cases across M&A, private equity and shareholder conflicts on behalf of companies and investment funds. The three-lawyer team is also regularly appointed by corporate officers to deal with corporate termination and liability proceedings, as well as taking on insolvency-related litigation. Philippe Brunswick and Maxime de La Morinerie are in charge.
CBR & Associés advises on high-stakes commercial litigation in relation to the telecoms, media, TV, internet and energy sectors on behalf leading industry players. The team also has strong expertise managing cases pertaining to advertising and product regulation law issues, especially linked to the tobacco and alcohol industries. The firm is also acting in several strategic consumer disputes in which it is defending leading companies facing mass consumer claims. Judith Vuillez and Pierre-Olivier Chartier, who co-head the practice, are highly recommended.
‘The team is one of the most efficient for commercial litigation issues – always focused on its customers’ needs’.
‘The team shows excellent strategic reading of its cases and demonstrates exceptional technical skills. It is entirely dedicated to its clients and obtaining the best possible results’.
‘A fine and comprehensive knowledge of commercial litigation, spanning judicial procedures and the commercial and business aspects of a case’.
Judith Vuillez is fully committed to delivering the best services to her clients. She delivers great results in a short time frame. No matter what the topic is, she is 100% available’.
‘Pierre-Olivier Chartier is one of the best commercial litigators of the Paris bar. He is totally dedicated to his cases and is really creative. He shows great analysis capabilities and stands out through his ability to correctly asses pros and cons and find unexpected answers to issues’.
BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO
BACARDI MARTINI FRANCE
PROCTER & GAMBLE
TOTAL DIRECT ENERGIE
- Defending British American Tobacco with a criminal complaint relating to the Filtergate case.
- Defending Total Direct Energie in a dispute with consumer organisation UFC Que Choisir denouncing abusive and illicit general terms and conditions in consumer clauses.
- Representing Nextradio TV in a dispute with Free relating to the distribution of TV channels by Free.
Chemarin & Limbour
Litigation firm Chemarin & Limbour manages a large volume of commercial litigation for a steady base of major French companies and new SME clients. The four-lawyer practice's workload includes commercial litigation cases in the telecoms sector, including a high-profile dispute challenging telecoms operators' current market business models. Orange regularly entrusts the firm with its key cases, with the firm winning several disputes for the company against competitors such as SFR, British Telecom and Verizon. Alexandre Limbour is in charge and can rely on the support of counsel Valentine Foucher-Créteau .
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very close to its customers and offers high-quality technical services’.
‘Alexandre Limbour is a very combative and innovative lawyer. He is very familiar with court procedures, and is a native and empowered litigant’.
Le Havre Football Club (HAC)
Lorient Football Club
- Favourably represented Rabobank in banking fraud claims brought against bankrupt company Toury’s former management team.
Headed by Loïc Henriot, Cohen & Gresser LLP's three-lawyer team covers commercial, corporate, stock-market and white-collar crime disputes. The practice is recommended for dealing with complex commercial, corporate, governance and financial disputes. It is appointed by corporations, private investors and investment funds. The team is currently handling a very substantial caseload with strategic matters at stake.
NSIA Banque en Cote D’Ivoire
Mr. Matthieu Lambeaux
Coyote Conseil SAS & Christophe Dechavanne
Ackermans & van Haaren NV
- Favourably acted for Grant Thornton as liquidator of Saad Investment before the Court of Appeal of Paris in a lawsuit with French bank IFA regarding a suspicious $50 million wire transfer.
- Representing former CEO of Barnes Mrs. Virginie Calmels in a dispute with the company following the termination of her position.
- Representing Spanish luxury fashion house Loewe in an unfair competition dispute with Fosun’s owned Lanvin regarding the hiring of designer Mr. Bruno Sialelli.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés handles a diverse range of disputes. The firm is representing leading French companies and international groups in commercial, M&A and industrial disputes. The firm is also handling a growing amount of new cases dealing with renewables energy M&A transactions and is also a good fit to manage cases involving public sector entities. In addition, the firm has strong reputation for its particular expertise in the media, IT and sport sectors where it is regularly handling key matters. It recently won a major victory regarding illegal sport ticket reselling and is managing several high-stake cases for TF1 TV channel, including several issues involving internet providers and broadcasters. Louis de Gaulle and Jean-François Paque co-head the practice. Several other partners also contribute including Julien Horn and Philippe Moncorps.
‘The team is highly responsive, committed, and creative’.
‘Jean-François Paque is highly committed, never renounces, and stands clear and professional in every conflicted situation’.
‘Louis de Gaulle is an exquisite and highly polished individual’.
Daniel Féau Conseil Immobilier
Monte Carlo Societe Des Bains De Mer
- Representing TF1 in a series of disputes against France’s main internet service providers (namely Altice-SFR, Orange and Free) and TV channel package distributor Groupe Canal+.
Dechert LLP manages a various caseload made up of commercial, product liability, enforcement arbitration and international cases, as well as corporate disputes. The firm has been entrusted by French electricity grid connector Enedis to handle a series of highly strategic lawsuits for the company, in relation to which the practice recently obtained a majority of positive results. The firm is also regularly acting for leading companies in the life sciences and financial services sectors. The practice is co-headed by experienced partners Laurent Martinet and Jacques Sivignon.
‘A very responsive team with strong ability to handle cross border cases’.
‘Service is swift, efficient and expert. The team is very business oriented’.
‘Jacques Sivignon has perfect litigation and court procedure knowledge and knows how to speak to non-jurists to make subjects understood’.
- Successfully defended French electricity grid connector Enedis before the Civil Court of Paris in multiple proceedings launched by individuals opposing the installation of Linky electricity meters.
- Defending Enedis in various disputes launched by alternative energy operators such as Engie, Eni and Total Spring, all challenging the company’s current business model and operations.
DS Avocats' 13-lawyer team regularly acts for some of France's leading companies, notably in the telecoms and energy industries. The firm recently obtained a major success before the appeal court for key client EDF in a highly fought and high stakes dispute with Engie. Other key clients include Orange, as well as international companies, banks and insurers. Marie-Christine Mergny heads the practice. Also involved are Bertrand Potot, Xavier Lacaze, Arnaud Constant, Guillaume Selnet and Romain Bourgade. Sandra Dorizon left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
INTERNATIONAL CHEMICAL INESTORS FRANCE
SAFRAN ELECTRONICS & DEFENSE
- Representing building company Actis in a misleading advertising and violation of advertising rules dispute launched by FILMM (mineral wool Producers’ union body).
- Acting for Orange before the Commercial Court of Paris in a dispute with a former distributor of mobile telephony products regarding early termination of a commercial agency agreement.
- Representing EDF in an unfair competition dispute launched towards Engie in which the Versailles’ Court of Appeal condemned Engie to the payment of €1m of damages to the client.
Fieldfisher is retained by investment funds and corporates for hard-fought corporate, post M&A and insolvency-related litigation, through Philippe Netto and Bruno Paccioni. Also involved is Brigitte Daille-Duclos , who advises on product liability cases. The firm also handles commercial disputes.
‘The team comes up with excellent defense strategies, assessing strengths and weaknesses of each matter’.
‘Philippe Netto is highly available and practical’.
‘Excellent team manager and litigator Bruno Paccioni knows if and when a case is worth being litigated or should be settled. He is always extremely clear in developing persuasive arguments to defend a case, specifically in restructuring and insolvency litigation, in which he specialises’.
Newly created dispute resolution boutique Fierville Ziadé was founded by two partners trained in French and international law firms - Jérémie Fierville and Marie-Aude Ziadé, who was formerly VP - Head of Dispute Resolution at Orano. The firm handles shareholders’ conflicts and corporate litigation. It also acts in major industrial and commercial cases. Leading investment funds, large corporates and SMEs are clients. The firm also handles arbitration and mediation.
‘The team provides remarkable work, is always available and ‘puts its clients’ interests first’.
‘Jérémie Fierville is oustanding from a professional and human perspective. He shows high level expertise and commitment, studies his cases in every detail possible and provides great strategic outlook’.
‘Marie-Aude Ziadé is efficient and one of the best within her generation’.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
Galembert Avocats was founded by former Scotto Partners' member Noémie de Galembert. The four-lawyer litigation boutique focuses on corporate disputes, shareholder conflicts and corporate governance disputes. The practice regularly acts for management teams and CEOs, as well as family-controlled companies. It regularly handles disputes linked with the termination of CEOs in a private equity context.
‘A dynamic and proactive team which has real technical expertise and great writing skills. It is responsive and ensures good follow up’.
Siaci Saint-Honoré (ex- key management team)
Picard (Key managers)
Tunstall Group Acquisitions
Azimut (founding partners and ex- CEO)
Andreas Schroeder (ex- CEO of Vertbaudet GmbH)
Centre Privé de Radiothérapie de Metz
European Chemicals Agency
XK Corporate Finance
Famille Faiveley Participations
- Representing Siaci’s management team in a dispute initiated against former shareholder JMIB Holdings B.V to obtain the enforcement of an investment agreement.
- Representing Family Faiveley Participations, CCVB and majority shareholders of the Faiveley Group in emergency proceedings brought by a minority shareholder of Faiveley Group to stop the merger between two companies of the group.
- Representing Picard’s management team in a dispute with Lion Capital to obtain the execution of a shareholder’s agreement.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is retained by banks and financial institutions to handle banking, insurance and other financially related cases, including insolvency related disputes. The firm also deals with commercial litigation. Bruno Quentin, Jean-Philippe Pons-Henry and Sophie Scemla , who joined from Eversheds Sutherland (France) LLP , co-head the practice.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP has some 20 lawyers able to deal with a broad range of matters across various industry sectors. The firm has strong financial services, civil liability and banking litigation expertise through Julien Martinet, who earns instructions from high-profile banks. Another key area of expertise is healthcare product liability, where the firm handles high-profile cases. Finally, commercial litigation is also dealt with, serving major clients from the IT and automotive sectors such as Wikimedia Foundation and other digital heavyweight players. Key names in the practice include Christine Gateau , up-and-coming partner Christelle Coslin and new recruit Arthur Dethomas , who joined from his own firm and who adds well-regarded corporate and financial litigation expertise.
‘The firm distinguishes itself thanks to providing tailored and daring solutions to complex and technical issues in relation to financial services and banking litigation’.
‘The team has thorough knowledge and experience of the banking industry’.
‘It shows excellent technical commercial litigation skills’
‘Julien Martinet shows high personal commitment, precision, clarity and provides efficient work’.
‘Christine Gateau is easy to talk to, has great communication skills, and provides practical advice and pro-activeness’.
Jeantet's litigation team handles a range of cases, spanning commercial, corporate, governance, securities, industrial and IP litigation, often acting in combination with colleagues from the firm's other departments and international offices, especially in Eastern Europe. Mediation is also dealt with. The practice is currently involved in several regulatory and damage enforcement cases following condemnation by competition authorities. Leading investment funds and French and international companies and banks are clients. Xavier Pernot and Loraine Donnedieu de Vabres-Tranié co-head the commercial litigation practice. Florent Prunet is also involved.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very proactive and offers high standard capabilities. It is able to provide quick answers in cross-border litigation’.
‘A practical, solution-driven and straightforward team’
‘Xavier Pernot is an excellent lawyer; pragmatic and always available. He always tries to have a helicopter view over matters to find the best solution’.
ENI GAS & POWER France
ELITE MODEL MANAGEMENT
LAGARDERE TRAVEL RETAIL
TRANSDEV ILE DE FRANCE
- Representing DESCOURS & CABAUD in unfair competition proceedings brought by KDI.
- Representing Aximum in private enforcement proceedings brought by EMC2.
- Assisting ENI before the French energy regulator body in a dispute with French electricity distribution grid manager ENEDIS in connection with the performance of a network access agreement.
Dispute resolution boutique Le 16 Law combines solid resources and an ability to handle a vast array of cases. The ten-lawyer team is instructed by many of France’s major companies, as well as international corporations and financial institutions. It is involved in commercial, corporate, financial and real estate disputes. The firm also handles a new emerging type of dispute, dealing with the violation of trade secrets. The practice is co-headed by Jean-Luc Larribau , Alexandra Szekely and Samuel Sauphanor.
‘A young and very dynamic team, which shows great responsiveness and is proactive’.
‘The firm identifies clients’ needs and works its hardest to address them’.
‘Proven expertise in commercial litigation. The team is efficient and professional. It is confident and provides comforting support all the way’.
‘Samuel Sauphanor is competent and has great interpersonal skills’.
‘Jean-Luc Larribau quickly understands issues at stake and provides practical solutions’.
Axione (subs. of Bouygues Energie Services)
Mr. Stanislas Dewynter
Monte Paschi Banque
- Acting for Orange in a €1.5m unfair commercial claim involving other main French telecoms operators.
- Acting for Monte Paschi Banque in proceedings regarding the repayment of a €6m loan by a borrowing company and its managing director.
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI handles product liability and commercial cases for major French and international companies. The practice also acts in litigation relating to shareholder conflicts and the termination of managers. Practice head Alexis Werl and Aymeric Discours are recommended.
Paul Hastings LLP
Paul Hastings LLP is entrusted by leading French and international corporations, including several CAC 40 companies, to handle complex corporate and commercial litigation. The practice is notably involved in several major shareholder conflicts. It also represents banks and investment funds. Philippe Bouchez El Ghozi and Nicolas Faguer co-head the practice. Dominique Borde also intervenes in top cases.
Colisée Patrimoine Group
- Representing Sodexo in a range of disputes including a €60m dispute linked to the breach of commercial obligations and a non-compete clause; and a €40m shareholder and post-acquisition dispute following the restructuring of several Sodexo companies.
- Representing Reed Midem in relation to a complex shareholder dispute.
- Representing Monoprix and Franprix in about 100 civil and commercial disputes.
PDGB’s practice is able to deal with a large range of cases, including commercial and contractual litigation. The 13-lawyer team also has expertise in insurance and industrial risk disputes acting for top clients, as well as handling mass litigation and shareholder conflicts. The team is co-headed by Xavier Hugon and Philippe Laye. Other key members include Jean-Marie Gueguen, Bertrand Jardel, Philippe Julien and Marie Albertini , who joined from Reed Smith. Clients include leading insurers and industrial companies, with the firm having major clients in the oil, automotive and agriculture-business sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a great diversity of knowledge and offers huge availability’.
‘Jean-Marie Gueguen is fully available and always inventive in finding solutions. He has great expertise and knowledge of the insurance market and of insurers’ needs’.
‘Marie Albertini is very good at advising on the best judicial strategy. She provides relevant advice and has very good expertise’.
- Representing 700 members of association ADILEMA in a dispute with ARISTOPHIL’s former executives, agents and notaries.
Racine is able to handle a large range of different types of cases. The firm deals with a number of corporate disputes and shareholder conflicts, and is also a good choice for insolvency-related cases. The firm also manages commercial and contractual disputes on behalf of leading French companies. Key names include the highly regarded Bruno Cavalié, Antoine Diesbecq, Laurent Jourdan and Valérie Ledoux.
- Acting for SCOP SeaFrance in disputes with Getlink and DFDS.
Reed Smith has strong know-how in the industrial risk and product liability field. The eight-lawyer practice is notably entrusted by many leading French industrial and engineering companies to handle construction, accident, fire and asbestos-related claims. Additionally, the firm also has solid regulatory expertise and is notably retained to deal with key matters in the healthcare sector. Finally, it also manages commercial and cross-border cases. Practice head Benoît Charot and Daniel Kadar are recommended.
Reinhart Marville Torre
Reinhart Marville Torre has a large 17 lawyer team that is able to handle a wide range of contentious cases. The firm is regularly retained by asset management companies to manage shareholders conflicts and also acts in post-acquisition disputes. In addition, the team is also busy advising on commercial and unfair competition dispute for various clients, including leading names in the energy and retail sectors. Louis-Marie Absil, Antoine Dérot , Jérôme Marsaudon, Marc Susini and Jean Reinhart co-lead the practice.
BURGER KING / QUICK, FOOD CHAIN RESTAURANTS
DOOGLAS NEWMAN GOODS
BNP PARIBAS FORTIS
HORUS FINANCE GROUP
BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
GOODYEAR DUNLOP TIRES FRANCE
CAP HORN INVEST
DUFF & PHELPS
ROCHE BOBOIS GROUPE
- Representing Audacia in several disputes with portfolio companies including a shareholder dispute regarding Moulin de la Vierge’s capital increase.
- Defending Cityscoot in an unfair competition dispute with a competitor arguing that Cityscoot operates a free floating scoot activity in violation of Paris City’s regulations.
- Representing Système U in numerous disputes with competitors Leclerc, Carrefour and Casino
Renault Thominette Vignaud & Reeve's Renaud Thominette is entrusted by several leading companies and major private equity funds, as well as managers. He handles a diverse caseload spanning complex matters relating to commercial and contractual litigation, shareholder conflicts, as well as financial and corporate disputes involving listed and non-listed companies. The French stock-market regulator (AMF) is also client.
‘High quality service and excellent mastery of judicial court procedures’.
‘Renaud Thominette is a great litigator able to make complex issues sound easier. He is skilled in defining legal strategy and very pleasant to work with. He often has innovative procedural ideas, shows great thoroughness and high technical skills. He has fine analysis skills and shows great combativeness when needed’.
Autorité des marchés financiers
Syndicat des Energies Renouvelables
Electricité des Eaux de Madagascar
Liouba Stoupakova Wildenstein
Française de l’Energie
Rossi Bordes AARPI
Rossi Bordes AARPI handles a wide range of complex civil and commercial disputes including corporate and shareholders conflicts' disputes, as well as financial and commercial litigation. The four-lawyer team acts for French and international companies, CEOs and executives, entrepreneurs as well as financial institutions. The firm also stands out for its particular know-how in dealing with liability disputes pertaining to specific regulated sectors and professions. Practice head Dominique Bordes is particularly acquainted with representing leading accounting firms.. The recent addition of Eric Boillot from Simmons & Simmons also adds strength in financial services and stock-market litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly reliable and has perfect expertise’.
‘Dominique Bordes is very precise and committed. He makes relevant recommendations in terms of case strategy’.
THE FRENCH NATIONAL OLYMPIC AND SPORT COMMITTEE – COMITÉ NATIONAL OLYMPIQUE ET SPORTIF FRANÇAIS (CNOSF)
Simmons & Simmons has state-of-the-art product liability litigation expertise, particularly in the healthcare sector, where the firm is handling some of the market's largest high-profile disputes defending well-known pharmaceutical and healthcare companies. The practice is notably acting in the headline Levothyrox and Mediator cases. Practice head Jacques-Antoine Robert is a star in this field. In addition, the firm is also growing its shareholder conflicts and private equity disputes practice, through Guillaume-Denis Faure. Finally, the firm also acts for banks and financial institutions through Thierry Gontard, who also handles commercial litigation, while Etinenne Kowalski notably tackles criminal law issues.
‘The team shows great expertise and creativity. It demonstrates good capability to think out of the box and understand business issues. Lawyers follow a calm and creative approach of files, even when the risks are very serious’.
‘The team is strong in dealing with real estate disputes, and applies a proactive, commercial and practical outlook. It provides clear and understandable advice without being unduly technical. It demonstrates excellent communication skills, notably in English ’.
‘Etienne Kowalski is very knowledgeable, commercial and gives comprehensive and practical advice. He is very reliable, proactive and always available, and is easy to talk to and good humoured’.
JC BAMFORD EXCAVATORS
Moneta Asset Management
Sodexo Pass International
Natixis / BPCE
Stanley Black & Decker
- Defending Merck in mass claims involving almost 20 000 patients who reported side effects allegedly caused by the client’s blockbuster drug Levothyrox.
- Defending Servier in the landmark drug product liability Mediator trial.
- Favourably represented Moneta Asset Management before the Commercial Court of Paris in a dispute with Altamir, Altamir Gérance and Mr Maurice Tchénio.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP is entrusted by clients to handle their most sensitive arbitration and litigation cases. The litigation team, which is part of the firm's M&A and corporate department and regularly handles cross-border cases, is a strong choice for listed and non-listed M&A disputes, regularly attracting top cases. It notably successfully defended SCOR SE against an €8.3bn unsolicited takeover proposal from Covéa. Counsel Valentin Autret heads the practice. Corporate partners such as Armand Grumberg are also regular contributors.
‘The firm demonstrates incredible capacity to coordinate litigation efforts across jurisdictions. Team members are tireless workers and have a yes-attitude: nothing is impossible’.
‘Armand Grumberg is a top strategist who would defend his clients’ interests even if it cost him his life’.
- Successfully defended SCOR SE against an €8.3bn unsolicited takeover proposal from Covéa.
Soffer Avocats excels at handling complex multi-jurisdictional cases involving other European countries, as well as jurisdictions such as Singapore, Hong-Kong, Israel and the US. The firm is regularly appointed by high-profile businessmen and investors. Its caseload is highly diverse and notably features several high-profile art related disputes. The firm has been managing a sensitive class-action type case against a former CEO of a major listed company. Ron Soffer is a member of the Paris, New York and Israel bars.
‘Very responsive lawyers with a can-do attitude’.
‘Ron Soffer is very bright, commercial and practical, and goes the extra mile for his clients. Familiar with both civil and common law systems, he is adept at managing large multi-jurisdictional litigation’.
Stephenson Harwood handles a highly diverse and complex caseload, spanning banking, financial, insurance, commercial, industrial and shareholder conflicts disputes. The six-lawyer team often acts in cases involving major international components, involving Iranian, Venezuelan, Chinese and South-Korean clientele, among others. The team is also involved in several international fraud cases and also manages several disputes before African courts. Barthélemy Cousin and Nicolas Demigneux co-head the practice. Senior associates Pierre Linais and Thibaut Gribelin are also key members.
Kellog Brown Root
SG Kleinwort Hambros bank (CI) Limited
Baltic International Bank
Wells Fargo Bank Northwest Trustee
Jinwang Europe and Hunan Jinwang Bismuth Industrial Co.
Banque Européenne d’Investissement (BEI)
Léon de Bruxelles
SAS Degrémont France
- Representing Suez’s subsidiary Degremont in a dispute with Vinci’s Cegelec regarding construction defects over a waste storage and treatment centre.
- Acting for Chinese mining and metal enterprise Hunan Jinwang in a dispute with Orrion Chemicals Metalchem regarding representation and warranty issues following the acquisition of a chemical plant in France.
- Acting for Esso Chad and KBR before the courts of Chad regarding claims filed by 4,000 former employees of the Chad-Cameroon Pipeline project.
Wilhelm & Associés' Pascal Wilhelm is appointed by leading French companies and retail brands to handle strategic commercial litigation, often in relation to anti-competitive practices. He is also retained by financial investors to handle shareholder and corporate disputes. Finally, he also manages civil liability cases, notably defending an accountant in a sensitive disciplinary case.
‘A reliable law firm, with very efficient members who give clear and understandable advice. All members of the team are real business partners. They make it easy to take decisions after consulting with them’.
ZADIG & VOLTAIRE
- Defending Betclic before the Court of Cassation in a damage compensation dispute regarding abuse of dominant position liability involving Pari Mutuel Urbain (PMU).
- Defending CANAL+ International in a commercial dispute brought by Orange before French courts.
- Defended Cyrus Conseil in an unfair competition dispute brought by a competitor.
Pierre & Vacances
- Defending GlaxoSmithKline Santé Grand Public before the French Civil Courts in a mass tort litigation case relating to the alleged defect of a drug product.
- Representing Algebris in relation to an investment made into a French-listed company in the context of an abuse of majority claim.
- Defending The Royal Bank of Scotland in a dispute with a French local public entity relating to interest rate swaps.
‘The firm has a strong team demonstrating excellent client acumen. They provide good results and in-depth work’.
‘The team has wide expertise and the ability to rely on an international network and other partners at the firm’.
‘Hortense de Roux is tenacious and has a perfect grip on matters. She is well experienced in international litigation and can handle all kinds of situations’.
Robert Bosch SA
Cushman & Wakefield
ICG (Intermediate Capital Group)
- Representing Soufflet in a contractual liability dispute.
- Representing Azulis in a post-acquisition dispute with shareholders.
- Representing Eurotitrisation in a dispute with a bank related to the cancellation of a securisation transaction.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive, shows very good understanding of its customers’ business and provides great advice’.
‘Comes up with a clear and bright presentation of the different options for a case’.
‘Demonstrates a very good understanding of the aeronautics business’.
‘Jean Dominique Touraille shows great listening skills and is always available’.
‘Katia Boneva-Desmicht is very responsive, shows a great fighting attitude and provides acute analysis’.
‘The team shows great availability and follows a practical approach, providing high quality work’.
‘Lawyers get results and do not promise outcomes they cannot get. Advice is astute and work is of high quality’.
‘Great understanding of the industrial environment, very available and responsive’.
‘Géraldine Brasier Porterie demonstrates great listening skills, is involved, committed and smart’.
Fresh Food Village
- Representing Promeco in a €6m commercial claim dispute with Carrefour.
- Representing MBD Design in a case relating to the acquisition by MBD of Noma Composites SAS’s shares from BFG Europe.
‘A dynamic and responsive team. Partners are always very committed to their cases and provide very good follow-up’.
‘Xavier Carbasse is an exceptional litigator. He’s creative and often wins his cases or, when cases can’t be won, he mitigates the outcome. Highly responsive and dedicated to his clients, you can be sure the recommended strategy is in the best interest of the client. Xavier Carbasse is bright and thoughtful. He’s also fully dedicated to his clients’.
‘Julien Vernet est très efficace’.
NESTLE FRANCE AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES
Other key lawyers:
TURNER BROADCASTING SYSTEM EUROPE LTD
BJORG BONNETERRE ET COMPAGNIE (WESSANEN GROUP)
AEROPRT DE LYON ( VINCI)
SCI LES SALINS
- Representing Bjorg Bonneterre et Compagnie in a case dealing with the promotion of products branded as meat-free.
- Representing UPS in a dispute with MPS France’s liquidator and 130 former employees.
Charles Russell Speechlys
‘Frédéric Jeannin is responsive, and is not scared of diving into the technical aspects of a case to understand its clients’ products. He follows a practical approach and an aggressive strategy when needed’.
Chatain & Associés
‘The team shows great proficiency and availability’.
De Baecque Fauré Bellec
‘The firm is serious and reliable’.
‘Anne-Jessica Fauré makes herself available and clearly explains cases to clients. She is honest and provides excellent legal work. She shows thoroughness and high level legal technique when dealing with complex cases. She is creative and can cover civil and criminal cases, as well as international cases and insolvency matters’.
‘Antoine Kirry is particularly rigorous and does not leave any detail to luck’.
Other key lawyers:
AAZ Productions le Matériel Biomédical
City of Nice
Nordea Bank Luxembourg
Van Heck Interpieces France
- Representing chemical company Biesterfeld before commercial courts in various proceedings initiated by former co-contractors which are part of the same group of companies.
- Defending engineering company Ramboll in commercial litigation regarding the design of four pylons in France.
‘The team shows great responsiveness and availability and follows a strategic approach to cases’.
Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality (France)
RSA Royal & SunAlliance
‘The team follows a practical approach to cases’.
‘Frédéric Dereux has very strong expertise. He is responsive and highly practical’.
MAN Truck & Bus
Pierre & Vacances
- Defending GlaxoSmithKline Santé Grand Public before the French Civil Courts in a mass tort litigation case relating to the alleged defect of a drug product.
- Representing Algebris in relation to an investment made into a French listed company in the context of an abuse of majority claim.
- Defending The Royal Bank of Scotland in a dispute with a French local public entity relating to interest rate swaps.
AXA Corporate Solutions
- Representing M/Y “Far Away” in handling a €5.3m damages claim in connection with the loss of a yacht at sea.
Joffe & Associés
Other key lawyers:
‘Disponible, compétences techniques et fiabilité’
‘Fabrice Hercot is responsive, constructive and professional’.
K&L Gates LLP
‘A highly skilled, proactive, dynamic and friendly team’.
‘The very dynamic Charlotte Baillot is of great support and always available on short notice’.
John Bean Technologies AB
Union Electric Steel
- Representing Sika Supply Center AG in dealing with about 35 disputes relating to a roofing membrane product used as an insulation system.
- Representing 3D Systems’ companies in handling several disputes with French distributors and clients about the malfunctioning of its 3D printers.
‘A small team fully dedicated to its clients and very focused on the most sensitive issues, with a high degree of expertise. It shows great capability to build a strategy and to implement it in close relation with its clients and other lawyers involved’.
‘Karen Leclerc is very calm and reliable, even in tense moments. She has a high level of expertise and capacity to anticipate issues’.
BRAND & CONSUMER
CHOICE HOTELS FRANCE SAS
CAISSE NATIONALE DE PREVOYANCE DU CAMEROUN
CREDIT DU MAROC
- Representing ADF Développement in a guarantee execution dispute in relation to the sale contract of all the shares of a company belonging Engie.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent advice in relation to corporate and SPA litigation matters and exceptional responsiveness’.
Stade Rennais Football Club
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
‘Marie Christine Fournier Gilles is efficient and practical’.
Banque Julius Baer
BNP Paribs / BNP ASR
LCL – Le Crédit Lyonnais
‘A competent, detail-driven and customer-oriented team which understands clients’ needs and provides a world class advice. Answers are concrete and focused on problem solving’.
‘The team shows very high level of technical skills, is solution-oriented and pro-active’.
FEDERATION DES INDUSTRIES NAUTIQUES
FRANPRIX/LEADER PRICE (GROUPE CASINO)
SUEZ ENVIRONNEMENT AND GDF SUEZ
SAS WB Ambassador / SAS A. Hotel
Geoxia Maisons Individuelles
Capita Assets Services (UK) limited
Alex Moglia, Trustee of Outboard Marine Corporation
Senso et Avi-Charente
Synutra France International
H8 Invest / Cartier
- Defending Geoxia Maisons Individuelles before the Paris Courts in a dispute with Anjou Services relating to the payment of loan receivables under an employer-sponsored housing program (“prêt 1% logement”).
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely commercial and practical’.
‘Christian Dargham consistently provides high quality advice and is very good at analysing difficult legal challenges’.
- Assisting UBS/Les Docks Lyonnais in handling and coordinating 30 civil and criminal proceedings following the termination of an asset management agreement and a shareholder dispute with Shaftesbury.
Pech de Laclause Bathmanabane & Associés
CHUBB European Groupe SE
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Compagnie Nationale des Commissaires aux comptes
Conseil supérieur de l’Ordre des experts comptables
Société de courtage des barreaux
- Defending Deloitte in a liability dispute with an individual who invested €3m in a company which went into bankruptcy.
- Defending asset managers insured by MMA in relation to investments made by their clients in historical manuscripts sold by Aristophil.
- Defending MMA’s insured asset managers regarding investment made by their clients into shares of solar electricity production companies.
Pinsent Masons LLP
‘The team is friendly, reliable, polite, proactive, responsible and creative. It conducts appropriate research and is sensitive to clients’ needs.
‘Melina Wolman goes beyond what one might expect’.
- Representing Canadian company Mondex Corporation in a major dispute on behalf of the heirs of a Jewish art dealer whose Modigliani painting – Seated Man with a Cane – was allegedly taken by the Nazis in WW2.
‘The team is expert, available and responsive’.
‘François De Cambiaire has valuable expertise’.
VENDOME CAPITAL PARTNERS / VENDOME REIM
Fondation CEMAVIE (Crédit Mutuel)
Parti Socialiste (Fédération de Seine Saint Denis)
SEMEC (Palais des Festivals et des Congrès de Cannes)
62 investors in ARISTOPHIL
Investors in APOLONIA
Commune de Pontault-Combault
Commune de Plaissan
Football club Athis Mons
Ecole Miroirs Citoyens
- Representing several investors involved in the Apollonia real estate fraud case.
- Representing UCB Pharma as drug manufacturer and marketer of the Distillbène drug in related medical liability claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘André Soulier has outstanding experience and writes elegantly’.
‘The extremely responsive Geoffroy Lacroix has good knowledge of the French court system and great strategic skills which help achieve winning outcomes’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team demonstrates great abilities to really understand customers’ needs and to meet such needs’.
‘The team goes the extra mile to defend its clients position, taking a real and genuine interest in details and circumstances of a matter. As they are really specialized in litigation and arbitration, their risk assessment tools and approach as well as their procedural and tactical advice proved to be very valuable’.
‘Eric Teynier is an outstanding adviser’.
‘Raphael Kaminsky has a good strategic eye and very good language capabilities in English’.
GE Thermodyn/Baker Hughes
Mr. Nizar Dalloul
EDF Trading Logistics
GE Energy Power Conversion France
- Representing ArcelorMittal in a dispute brought before the Commercial Court of Nanterre by a multinational electrical utility leader regarding the termination of a contract relating to the processing of blast furnace gas.
- Representing EOLFI in litigation proceedings involving another company and relating to the exit of two of its former minority shareholders.