The employment team at Castrén & Snellman is well- for its breadth, covering employment litigation, occupational safety criminal proceedings and discrimination allegations. During the Covid-19 pandemic, it created the C&S Coronavirus Task Force, which assisted clients with key Covid-related employment issues. Tomi Kemppainen and Outi Tähtinen are ‘super professionals‘ specialising in employment law, while counsel Sanna Honkinen focuses on the employment aspects of transactions. Counsels Suvi Kettunen and Jutta Nieminen also contribute to the group, as does employment and privacy senior associate Ville Kukkonen, who joined from Lexia Attorneys Ltd in 2021.
Employment in Finland
Castrén & Snellman
Tomi Kemppainen; Outi Tähtinen
Other key lawyers:
Sanna Honkinen; Suvi Kettunen; Jutta Nieminen; Ville Kukkonen; Mikko Hanni
‘The team is very responsive and quick. The size of the team allows to get a cost efficient team – not all matters need partner attention. The team stand out since they quickly understand the problem even if the client has not been able to formulate the questions properly – for me, that is a sign of experience and dedication to give the best legal advice in each situation.’
‘Tomi Kemppainen and Suvi Kettunen are both great to work with: they are quick, to the point advice and no legal fuss and bla-bla in their advice. Clients know what to do with their advice which sometimes is not the case when you get a response from a lawyer.‘
‘Tomi Kemppainen and Suvi Kettunen provide prompt and timely advice, are precise, and are customer-oriented.’
‘Generally, the lawyers have wide experience in their areas of expertise and have been very well educated. They have lots of resources, so can assist almost anytime anywhere without resource constraints. They can also offer experts in a variety of business related fields and industries.’
‘Clear communication and advice, quick and prompt answers, easy approach, high level of professionalism and knowledge.’
‘Tomi Kemppainen and Outi Tähtinen: both are super professionals, always easy to approach and they are solution-oriented in their answers. Amazing ability to give clear and easy-to-understand answers to complex legal questions. Flexibility is outstanding.’
DS Smith Packaging Finland Ltd
Delta Motor Group Ltd
OP Financial Group
L’Oreal Finland Oy
- Acted as adviser to Cargotec on a contemplated merger with Konecranes.
- Advised Finnair on various employment law matters in Finland and assisting regularly with cross-border matters, including outsourcing arrangements.
- Advised Mehiläinen on various employment law matters, including dispute resolution as well as assistance in day-to-day employment matters.
Dittmar & Indrenius
The ‘innovative‘ employment team at Dittmar & Indrenius is highly regarded by clients for its broad and deep expertise in employment law, covering collective bargaining issues, food riders, pensions and outsourcing and discrimination matters. Seppo Havia is a ‘leading expert‘ is employment law and a noted litigator, and jointly leads the team with Suvi Knaapila, who is a key contact regarding collective terminations, pensions issues and employment disputes. Clients praise Petteri Uoti for his expertise in employment disputes and arbitration proceedings, while counsel Mika Kärkkäinen deals with restructurings, employment agreement negotiations, and discrimination and harassment claims.
Seppo Havia; Suvi Knaapila
Other key lawyers:
Petteri Uoti; Mika Kärkkäinen
‘Best overall knowledge of employment law in Finland. Very innovative team finding new ways to tackle difficult tasks. Extensive network of important contacts (civil servants, employer organizations, trade unions, judges) that helps the team be aware of what is happening or about to happen in employment issues.’
‘Petteri Uoti is in my opinion the best employment law expert among attorneys in Finland. He has both extensive knowledge and negotiation skills. Seppo Havia is also a leading expert in employment law. Mika Kärkkäinen is a rising star.’
‘I have worked with two partners and both are very knowledgeable and also have a pragmatic approach to giving advice. I have appreciated their wider knowledge of legislation that is being prepared with individuals being involved in shaping the legislation and hence having deep knowledge of the relatively new topic.’
‘Great performance and effective operations.’
‘Highly professional approach and good communications.’
Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities (Suomen Kuntaliitto)
Confederation of Finnish Forest Industries (Metsäteollisuus ry)
Delivery Hero Finland Ltd (Foodora)
Etteplan Embedded Finland Ltd
Kirby Group Engineering (UK) Limited
- Represented Finnair in Helsinki in a complex employment dispute related to equal treatment of pilots regarding salaries.
- Assisted a major provider of robotics and automation machinery for metal industries throughout an extensive internal investigation process regarding e.g. the potential misuse of the company’s assets.
- Acting for Etteplan Embedded Finland Ltd in a precedent setting case pending in the Supreme Court on the possibility to extend working hours with a collective labour agreement beyond what has been agreed in the employee’s individual employment contract.
The employment team at Roschier is particularly noted for advising key operators in the education sector, as well as for its strength in advisory work regarding restructurings, collective bargaining issues, and occupational health and safety matters. It also covers sensitive topics including alleged workplace harassment, as well as representing corporates in employment-related arbitrations. Practice head Anu Waaralinna covers boardroom advice, restructurings and complex employment contract issues, while senior associate Mari Mohsen is a key contact regarding Finnish employment litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very strong and respected team – excellent ability to handpick talent matching the client’s need and culture.’
‘Anu Waaralinna is a trusted adviser to us and a real industry thought leader.’
‘Broad team with good variety of senior experts. Active, modern approach.’
‘I have worked mainly with Anu Waaralinna and Mari Mohsen and the following applies to both: They are excellent lawyers who understand our business environment and are always ready to support and give straight-to-the-point guidance. Unlike many other law firms, with Roschier I don’t get annoying legalistic “it depends” answers, but these professionals have the integrity and seniority to weigh the risk and give clear recommendations which help us move forward.’
‘Absolutely the best in understanding the customer needs, delivering highly professional solutions and services, excellent customer care and follow-up!’
‘Anu Waaralinna is a highly professional employment lawyer who succeeds in delivering high quality services and solutions year after year, and the quality of her work is always excellent. She has an amazing ability to help the customer in very complex cases (both national and international), also supporting the customer to deal with the situation. Her work is of extremely high quality, delivery is very timely and and she is always available/reachable.’
Fennia Keskinäinen Vakuutusyhtiö (Fennia Mutual Insurance Company)
Teknologian Tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy (VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland)
Keravan kaupunki (City of Kerava)
ALSO Finland Oy
Sitowise Group Oyj
- Advised Tampere University, a major Finnish University, on numerous employment-related matters.
- Assisted VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland with various complex, high-level employment law matters.
- Advised Sitowise Group’s management on the assessment, disclosure and handling of certain employment law related cases and also advised on the relationship with the employee representatives and on organising a personnel offering with 750 participants.
Bird & Bird
Bird & Bird provides both domestic and international employment advice to its clients, including across business immigration, collective negotiations, and restructurings and outsourcings across the Nordic region. Practice head Maisa Nikkola is ‘a real professional‘, with extensive experience in a wide range of matters, including employment-related transactions, negotiations, trade union matters, and discrimination allegations. Teea Kemppinen is particularly strong in advising clients operating in the technology, energy and utilities sectors on cross-border employment issues, including complex disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is capable of working as real in-house lawyers: they understand business and the outside world and therefore are able to give the clients practical tips and advice. This team is really able to have sparring discussions with the client and they participate in finding the real soultions together with the client.’
‘All individuals in employment team are real professionals but also “normal people” with whom it is easy to discuss. They do not use legal jargon if not necessary and that is why it is easy to understand them and discuss with them. They are polite and discreet. It feels like they really enjoy what they are doing. Maisa Nikkola is super! She is a real professional but also one of the most delightful people I have ever met.‘
Nordic Waterproofing Oy
Terra Firma and Metric Capital
Sponsor Fund IV Ky
Bocap SME Achievers Fund II
- Advised Destia Oy on acquiring the share capital of Oulun Energia Urakointi Oy, a subsidiary of electrical network and traffic infrastructure provider Oulun Energia.
- Advised DISQO, Inc. on its acquisition of certain assets from the Bankruptcy Estate of Verto Analytics Oy.
- Advised private equity investor Sponsor Capital on the merger of LikeIt Group and Nepton Oy.
The ‘highly professional‘ team at Borenius works for blue-chip companies in the aviation, banking and finance, mining, energy, and healthcare and maritime sectors. It is noted for its involvement in investigations, whistleblowing allegations, and civil and criminal matters, and frequently advises on mass redundancies, restructuring and insolvency issues, collective bargaining work, and discrimination cases. Jani Syrjänen leads the employment team and is experienced in pension and benefits, operational health and safety and discrimination law. Senior associate Annamari Ala-Louko joined from Procopé & Hornborg in January 2021; she is highly experienced in negotiating employment agreements and policies, disputes and supervisory procedures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly professional, understanding the business life and variances between different business areas providing always high-quality, quick responses. Team is quite small, but high competencies always available.‘
‘Jani Syrjänen has given valuable, co-operative, skilled, professional advice. Responses are always finished with high quality and good communication.’
‘Jani Syrjänen is always available, the advice is precise and practical, just as needed in employment matters. Annamari Ala-Louko has a practical approach to matters, we have appreciated her timely advice.’
‘Jani Syrjänen is an extremely accessible and professional lawyer who is also fun to work with.’
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Agnico Eagle Finland Ltd
Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration Ltd
The Coca-Cola Company
Wipro Limited, Finnish Branch
RAOS Project Ltd
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Port of Helsinki Ltd
SodaStream International Limited – part of PepsiCo, Inc.
Discovery Corporate Services Ltd
- Advised RAOS Project on its establishment in Finland.
- Advised Huawei Technologies on an ongoing litigation in an administrative court regarding immigration issues and the potential expulsion of one of its key employees.
- Advised Norwegian Air Shuttle on all employment related aspects of the liquidation and bankruptcy of its Finnish flight crew leasing operations.
The team at Krogerus is particularly strong in assisting Nordic and international clients with drafting director and employee agreements, representing clients in employment disputes and arbitration proceedings, and advising on mass redundancies and employee-related transactional work. It also provides niche advice regarding pensions. Practice head Carola Möller focuses on employment-related disputes and works alongside senior associate Emmi Mäkelä, who is an expert in day-to-day employment matters and executive agreements.
Other key lawyers:
Jenna Hallikainen; Emmi Mäkelä
‘Collaboration is very easy and the communication is very clear. I never have to wonder when I’m going to get a response back, they always respond very fast or let me know when they will get back to me.’
‘I value their knowledge especially in labour law and case law. I also value very highly their fast and clear responses. Especially Carola Möller and Jenna Hallikainen stand out. It’s always my great pleasure to work with them.’
Santander Consumer Finance
SE Mäkinen Logistics
- Advised Johnson Matthey in connection with the proposed closure of its subsidiary, Finex, and site in Kotka, Finland.
- Advised Fysios and its shareholders on over fifty buy-and-build transactions.
- Acted as lead counsel for Ardian, a French private investment company, on its acquisition of 100% of Nevel Oy from Finnish Vapo Oy.
Merilampi Attorneys Ltd
Merilampi Attorneys Ltd is noted for its expertise in advising international companies and their Finnish subsidiaries on employment-related issues including high-value complex employment disputes. It is especially strong regarding sensitive and complex harassment and unequal treatment matters. Practice head Heidi Hiltunen and Jussi Koivu both specialise in transfer of business work, company reorganisations, terminations and harassment claims. The team frequently advises companies operating in the technology, construction and pharmaceuticals sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Heidi Hiltunen is a very knowledgeable, service-oriented employment partner who is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Excellent legal knowledge and customer-orientated approach.’
‘Heidi Hiltunen is the best employment lawyer in Helsinki. She has excellent legal intuition for solving complex legal employment issues.’
University of Helsinki
Aviator Airport Services Finland Oy
FSHS Finnish Student Health Service
- Advising Microsoft in relation to domestic and international HR matters.
Dottir Attorneys Ltd.
Dottir Attorneys Ltd.‘s ‘very pragmatic and to-the-point approach‘ in employment law is praised by clients, especially regarding both day-to-day employment issues and employment-related litigation. The group has recently expanded beyond its initial client base of major start-ups to advise a wide range of Finnish and international clients operating in the technology and media sectors. Practice head Samuel Kääriäinen is noted for his work in employment disputes and negotiations, as well as employee data privacy issues and company restructurings, while Antti Rajamäki focuses on collective bargaining agreements, director agreements and employee-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Antti Rajamäki; Juha Rönkä
‘Very pragmatic and to-the-point approach. Access to senior practitioners is always guaranteed.‘
‘Juha Rönkä is always available to navigate challenging problems and works seamlessly with in-house lawyers and HR teams alike.‘
‘They are a small firm but agile. Partners and lawyers are really young but that is a strength. I think they are up and coming.‘
‘The team has a wide range of expertise from various subfields of employment law and bring to the table realism and common sense in addition to knowledge of the law.’
Freska Finland Oy
Lassila & Tikanoja Oyj
Eltel Networks Oy
Aller Media Oy
Suomen Kotidata Oy
Endemol Shine Finland Oy
- Advised Aller Media Oy regarding employment matters, reaching from day-to-day consultation to dispute resolution.
- Advised Suomen Kotidata Oy, a Finnish IT sales and service company, on its employment law matters.
- Represented Lassila & Tikanoja Oyj in three litigation procedures relating to the termination of employment and cooperation consultations.
Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland)
Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) is particularly strong in advising clients on cross-border employment matters in the Baltics, especially concerning reorganisations, litigation and arbitration proceedings, and equality and non-discrimination compliance work. Practice head Timo Jarmas is a dispute resolution and arbitration expert, and also covers cooperation proceedings and the application of collective bargaining agreements. Kaija Pulkkinen is also noted for representing employers in criminal proceedings regarding work-related offences.
Other key lawyers:
‘Eversheds has been highly available and responses have came quickly. Our company has used their services for years. Service has been friendly and professional.’
‘They keep promises in schedule, professional approach, they have new point of views which brings additional customer value. Prices are reasonable.’
‘Experienced and passionate professionals with a wide portfolio and strong support by the other practices in topics with connections to other fields of law.’
‘Extremely dedicated, ambitious and skilled professionals, ready to stretch that extra mile and to give 110 percent to ensure the best outcome in your assignment.’
Suomen Terveystalo Oyj
YIT Construction Ltd
Amcor Flexibles Finland Oy
Phil Group Oy
Pirkanmaa Hospital District
City of Vantaa
City of Akaa
Pirkanmann Voimia Oy
Vantaan Tilapalvelut Vantti Oy
Tapola Oy Lihanjalostustehdas
Oy Aku’s Factory Ltd
Pukkila Oy Ab
- Assisted PlusTerveys Group with co-operation negotiations concerning the abolition of an employee fund, as well as with various other employment related matters and disputes.
- Assisted Parker Hannifin Corporation with a multinational bonus harmonization matter.
- Assisted Honkarakenne Oyj with co-operation negotiations regarding reorganisation of production operations.
Hannes Snellman provides employment-related advice to Finnish and Swedish clients, especially concerning pensions and benefits matters, health and safety issues, outsourcing arrangements, and corporate governance guidance. The team is also experienced in employee-related disputes, negotiations and litigation concerning dismissals, redundancies and occupational safety. Based in Helsinki, Johanna Haltia-Tapio heads up the practice and covers restructurings, outsourcings and executive contracts, while Anders Bygglin represents corporations in claims of alleged workplace harassment.
Johanna Haltia-Tapio; Anders Bygglin
‘Labour law experience, practical advice, gets job done.’
‘They have fresh ideas how to help clients, they invite to discussion forums and ask how your business is doing also outside of actual assignment work. A big plus!’
Blueprint Genetics Oy/Quest Diagnostics Incorporated
Evidensia Eläinlääkäripalvelut Oy
Oy Karl Fazer Ab
Umbra software Oy
- Advised Konecranes plc on its merger with Cargotec Corporation, including both transactional employment law advice and assistance in issues related to retention and rewarding.
- Advised Altia plc on the merger of Altia plc and Arcus ASA to form Anora Group.
- Advised a client within the medical services sector on investigations initiated by the Co-operation Ombudsman, in a dispute with employees relating to compensation and benefits, as well as in the investigation of a workplace harassment case.
Lexia Attorneys Ltd
Lexia Attorneys Ltd is particularly strong representing Finnish employers operating in the transport, aviation, media and health services sectors in litigation and disputes proceedings; its expertise also extends to cover cooperation negotiations and restructuring issues. Practice head Tomi Korpiola covers a wide range of matters, including outsourcing arrangements and employment and director agreements, and also provides equality and non-discrimination advice to employers. Head of the Tampere office Kari Koskinen joined the team in April 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are easy to approach. They are business minded lawyers who know our field of business very well. They are also down-to-earth and the pricing is very competitive.’
‘Tomi Korpiola is a very practical and approachable professional who is quick to catch the essential in a working relationship with the client.’
Tallink Silja Oy
Kotipizza Group Oyj
Oy Woikoski Ab
Viking Line Abp
AVARN Security Oy
- Advised Validia Oy on co-operation negotiations and training the company’s management.
- Represented Tallinn Silja Oy in dispute concerning alleged discrimination in recruitment.
- Assisted Viking Line Abp with co-operation negotiations concerning all employees of the company during the Covid-19 crisis.
Magnusson primarily provides employment advice to both Finnish and international clients on restructurings, the employment aspects of M&A transactions and disputes concerning employment terminations. Managing partner Tomi Merenheimo deals with executive and employment contract matters, restructurings and employment termination procedures. Ville Salonen advises on contract law, while Jukka Blomberg handles employment disputes. Newly promoted partner Anu Vuori leads the department.
Other key lawyers:
Tomi Merenheimo; Ville Salonen; Jukka Blomberg
Adecco Finland Oy
Aimo Park Finland Oy
Rantalainen Group Oy
Econet Group Oy
- Advised Adecco Finland Oy, a Finnish company of Swiss-based Adecco Group, in connection with the company’s employment-related matters in Finland.
- Advised Joblink Oy in connection with the company’s employment-related matters as well its company growth strategy.
Lieke Attorneys Ltd.
Lieke Attorneys Ltd. covers day-to-day employment matters, as well as complex collective negotiation procedures and employment litigation and arbitration proceedings. The team also advises on occupational safety matters and employee privacy issues. Practice co-heads Annika Kiviharju and Marja Norrena are both highly experienced in employment disputes, collective negotiations and discrimination matters.
Annika Kiviharju; Marja Norrena
Cembrit Production Oy
- Providing Cembrit Production Oy with ongoing legal advice in all aspects of its HR processes including contracts, occupational safety issues and collective negotiations.
Waselius & Wist
Waselius & Wist advises multinational corporations on business developments in Finland, with particular expertise in day-to-day employment advice and employment litigation. Founding partner Jan Waselius is an expert in employment disputes and arbitrations, while Jouni Kautto covers the employment elements of corporate transactions.
Jan Waselius; Jouni Kautto
Other key lawyers:
SOE Busproduction Finland Oy YT
Surfactor Finland Oy
- Advised Mars Incorporated on all employment matters in Finland, including matters in relation to the company’s corporate restructuring.
- Advised Otso Gold Corp. on its Finnish employment law matters.
- Advised and represented Ejendals in all employment law related matters in Finland.