Castillo y Castillo has established a strong reputation in the tourism and real estate space, where it is regularly sought out by hotel owners, real estate developers and investors for advice on large-scale projects. On the tourism side, the department has been kept busy with aviation-sector matters and the development of condos and hotels. The practice is jointly led by Práxedes Castillo Báez and senior associate Maria Portes. Sebastián Jiménez is very experienced in advising international and domestic clients on real estate financing; associate Amalia Pérez and junior associate Denisse Casado are also active in this sector.
Real estate and tourism in Dominican Republic
Castillo y Castillo
Orbest, S. A.
BANCO POPULAR DOMINICANO, S.A. – BANCO MÚLTIPLE
- Advising a Spanish hotel chain on a $121m hotel development project.
- Assisting the Iberostate Group with the development of a $295m condominium and villas project.
- Assisted Finnair Airlines with obtaining permission within its security programme to operate a route between Punta Cana International Airport and Helsinki.
- Assisted Orbest Airlines with the renewal of its operating permit in order to operate a route between Punta Cana Airport and Lisbon.
DMK Abogados draws on almost three decades of experience in tourism and real estate, and is equipped to advise on tourism-related tax matters, project development and financing, and other corporate real estate deals. Managing partner Enrique de Marchena and junior partner Patricia Guzmán jointly head the department; in significant work, the pair advised the Punta Cana Group on the development of an aqueduct in the Punta Cana-Bávaro-Veron-Macao district in the Dominican Republic. Patricia Read has expertise in corporate real estate matters.
The Punta Cana Group
Senator Hotels and Resorts
Meliá Hotels International
Popular Bank, Ltd
NSLH 1 SRL
Universidad Central del Este
Grupo Posadas, SAB de CV
- Advising Meliá Hotels International on a wide spectrum of tourism matters.
- Assisting Mexican hospitality company Grupo Posadas with tourism, tax and corporate matters concerning its operations in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised Punta Cana Group on the development of an aqueduct in the Punta Cana-Bávaro-Veron-Macao district.
Guzmán Ariza's real estate practice is 'a market leader in the Dominican Republic in this area'. The department is well known for its strong capabilities in handling condominium and hotel mandates, and is very experienced in real estate permits and project finance matters. In the Santo Domingo office, Fabio Guzmán Ariza is a highly regarded practitioner in the real estate sector, with notable expertise in condominium projects, while Fabio Guzmán Saladín is a key contact for project finance. La Romana-based Alfredo Guzmán assists multinational companies with transactions in the hospitality and tourism sectors; Julio Brea Guzmán, based in Puerto Plata, counts real estate litigation as a core area of strength; and Rubén García is a key contact in the Samaná office.
‘Guzmán Ariza is a market leader in the Dominican Republic in this area, and has a great deal of experience in large-scale real estate transactions‘.
‘The quality of the service, their organisation and the efficiency of their responses makes them stand out‘.
Meliá Hotels International
Sunwing Travel Group
Viva Wyndham Resorts
Sosúa Ocean Village
Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
Athelia Blue Finance
- Advises Club Med on all real estate matters in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Sunwing Travel Group with setting up a $30m loan agreement with Banco Popular Dominicano to be used as working capital for the client’s resorts in the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean.
- Assisting Villas Infinity with the $8m development of 17 residential units in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Viva Wyndham Resorts with obtaining building permits for the development of a new hotel project.
Well known for its strength in tourism projects, including large-scale hotel developments, ECIJA DVMS is also adept at handling M&A-related real estate deals, financings and land acquisitions and disposals. Baseball teams are prominent in the department's client base, which also includes hospitality and financial services-sector companies. Gabriel Dejarden, who is experienced in advising baseball teams on real estate matters and acting in hotel-related mandates, heads the practice in conjunction with Polibio Valenzuela, who is adept at handling large tourism projects. Christian Molina often acts for developer-side clients on acquisitions of hotels and affordable housing developments, while Edward Salcedo handles M&A-related real estate litigation. Associate Deydania Comas is also noted.
‘The passion for their work, the commitment of the partners and their knowledge of the sector makes them stand out‘.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández has extensive experience in regulatory real estate matters, transactions and projects, with prominent tourism development mandates keeping the team busy. Corporate real estate and litigation are other areas of strength for the department. Jaime Senior, who is well known for his expertise in corporate matters, heads the practice in conjunction with Marisol Vicens, who has a broad corporate and real estate practice. Senior associate César Ledesma is active in project development work.
Grupo Punta Cana
The Philadelphia Phillies
Third Point LLC
Discovery Land Group Inc.
Parque Zona Franca Las Americas
Asociacion Dominicana de Empresas Turisticas Inmobiliarias (ADETI)
Playa Nueva Romana
New York Yankees
Los Angeles Dodgers
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)
Induveca, S. A.
Induspalma Dominicana, S. A.
- Assisting Tropicalia Holdings with the development of a tourism project in Samaná.
- Assisted the Philadelphia Phillies and the Minnesota Twins with a reciprocal easement agreement regarding the teams’ training academies in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising Grupo Puntacana on environmental and real estate regulatory matters.
The team at OMG is noted for its expertise across a broad spectrum of real estate matters; areas of instruction include development projects, construction, corporate real estate deals, planning, permits and real estate tax. Juan Alcalde, who has expertise in condominium matters, jointly heads the practice with director Laura Troncoso, who is well known for handling corporate real estate transactions. Esperanza Cabral and Leonel Melo are also active in this sector.
Terra RD Partners
Athos Capital Partners
Playa Hotel & Resorts
Banesco Banco Múltiple
Playa Dominican Resort
Prohotel International Inc
Meliá Hotels Internationals
Casas del XVI
Rhythm & Harmony
- Assisting Greincor with a number of residential projects in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisting Playa Hotels & Resorts with the construction of two hotels in the Dominican Republic.
- Advising Rhythm & Harmony Real Estate Developer on a $110m hotel development project in the Dominican Republic.
Pellerano & Herrera has a solid reputation for its real estate capabilities. Financing work is a core pillar of the practice; other areas of expertise include property acquisitions and disposals, and real estate-related litigation. On the tourism side, the group is very experienced in handling instructions from an established portfolio of aviation-sector clients. Managing partner Ricardo Pellerano heads the practice in conjunction with Joanna Bonnelly, who is well known for her corporate expertise, and special counsel Ramón Luciano, noted for his expertise in real estate litigation. Litigator Vitelio Mejía Ortiz handles aviation work. Carolina Léon and Alessandra Di Carlo are also key contacts.
International Finance Corporation
Amhsa Marina Hotels and Resorts
Faro del Este
NH Hotel Group
Jet Blue Airways Corporation
Banco Popular Dominicano
- Successfully defended a Dominican tourism company in a $110m dispute regarding ownership of a 44,00000sqm plot of land in Punta Cana.
Pellerano Nadal is strong in corporate real estate, construction, project finance and environmental law; Gustavo Mena has an excellent reputation for his expertise in the latter area. On the tourism side, the team is very experienced in assisting clients from the aviation sector. Luis Rafael Pellerano advises on a broad spectrum of real estate developments, with a noted track record in high-profile infrastructure projects. Senior counsel Urania Paulino and senior associate Belkys Génesis Rodríguez are also active members of the team.
JetBlue Airways Corporation
CHT Energy GmbH
- Assisting CHT Energy GmbH with the $98m acquisition of property for the development of a solar power project.
- Advising investment firm Pedersen & Partners (via mining company Belfond Enterprise) on the corporate aspects of its land acquisition for the development of a mining project.
Squire Patton Boggs
Squire Patton Boggs' department has notable expertise in the hospitality sector, and also has extensive experience in handling corporate real estate matters. Due diligence work is another area of instruction, and the firm has an advantage in cross-border property matters thanks to its large office network. Alejandro Peña-Prieto heads the practice in conjunction with Rhina Martinez Brea and Pedro Gamundi, who advises clients on foreign direct investments in the real estate sector. Senior associate Joey Núñez Aybar is also recommended.
DR Development Group
Earthbound Holdings I, LLC.
Securities Trading Group Corp.
- Assisting a hospitality company with the purchase of real estate properties for the development of a Ritz-Carlton Reserve hotel in the Dominican Republic.
The team at Jiménez Peña handles transactional, development and real estate investment mandates, particularly for clients in the hospitality and financial services sectors. Vilma Veras jointly heads the practice with Luis Julio Jiménez, who is very experienced in advising on project finance matters. Marcos Peña Rodríguez is noted for his capabilities in contentious real estate, as well as advising on real estate mandates with corporate law aspects. Associate Henry Pastrano is active in this sector.
La Estancia Golf Resort
Grupo Punta Cana
Hola Tours & Travel
CCS Holding Group
- Advising the Sirenis Group on the $25m redevelopment of the Grand Sirenis Punta Cana Resort.
Pereyra & Asociados houses a team of 'excellent advisors'; the department is well known for assisting a predominantly multinational client base with leases, real estate transactions, tourism projects and litigation. Managing partner Luis Miguel Pereyra jointly heads the team with Emma Mejía Batlle, who advises on corporate real estate matters. Gregorio García handles real estate litigation cases.
‘They know the DR laws very well from a technical standpoint and, more importantly, from a practical view‘.
- Advising a tourism company and a real estate investment company on all aspects of the development of a $200m tourism project.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti's department has established strength in development work, land and property transactions, construction mandates and due diligence, and is also adept at handling real estate-related disputes. Puerto Plata-based Román Medina Diplan heads the department in conjunction with Luis Heredia Valenzuela, who is based in the Santo Domingo office. José Maldonado Stark acts for international and domestic investors, and also assists real estate developers with transactions. Associates Ana María Frías and Pierina Poloney, both based in the Puerto Plata office, are also noted.
Kiliç Deniz Ürünleri A.Ş.
Almacenes Sema, S. A
RISING BAY INVESTMENTS, S.R.L.
Inversiones El Corel, S.R.L
- Provides ongoing assistance to Edwards Lifesciences regarding the purchase of a property in order to develop a manufacturing plant.
Romina Santroni heads the real estate and tourism practice at Santroni Parsons; the department was established following the split of firm Quiroz Santroni in September 2019. Environmental law is a core pillar of the firm, which also counts construction, regulation, energy, real estate, tourism and sustainable development matters among its key capabilities. In particular, the team is noted for its strength in acting for clients in the hospitality sector on large tourism projects. Also noted are senior associates Franchesca Soto, who is experienced in environmental compliance issues, and Guily Shemer, who advises on regulatory matters.
‘They stand out for their proactivity‘.
‘They offer tailor-made solutions‘.
- Assisting high-end tourist resort Playa Grande with environmental compliance issues and real estate transactional work.